A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago The conference hasn't helped itself for several years inn the early going. That is why we are at 1 bid, possibly 2 for last year and again this year. In addition we have not done well in the NCAA Tournament in recent years either.
Agree we haven't had much success lately, too bad for 2020, Dayton would of been a #1 seed.

Ramster as I said earlier, I still think we will get 2 bids (revised from 3-4) this season.
Not all is doom and gloom.
A10 still considered one of the top Mid-Majors, Rothstein doesn't even call us a Mid-Major, closer to a High-Major.
Best news is Loyola/Chicago joins the A10 in 22-23.

Also excited for George Mason's future, with a promising young coach in English.
Dayton and VCU have some excellent young talent.
Plus I am hoping Rhody makes that big jump up.

I
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago The conference hasn't helped itself for several years inn the early going. That is why we are at 1 bid, possibly 2 for last year and again this year. In addition we have not done well in the NCAA Tournament in recent years either.
Agree we haven't had much success lately, too bad for 2020, Dayton would of been a #1 seed.

Ramster as I said earlier, I still think we will get 2 bids (revised from 3-4) this season.
A10 still considered one of the top Mid-Majors, Rothstein doesn't even call us a Mid-Major, closer to a High-Major.

Also excited for George Mason's future, with a promising young coach in English.

I
The A10 is MUCH closer to a mid major (because we actually are) than we are to a high major.

It's an insult to the P6 to say the A10 is close to those conferences.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I
The A10 is MUCH closer to a mid major (because we actually are) than we are to a high major.

It's an insult to the P6 to say the A10 is close to those conferences.
I tend to agree and feel the A10 is a very good Mid- Major conference.
Jon Rothstein prefers to put our conference in a tier above that.

Like I said though, things are looking up for the A10 adding Loyola and maybe even expanding beyond that.

I hope we move to a 20 game IC schedule like the BE, B10, ACC, and probably the SEC and B12 (both currently at 19, but will probably increase with their expansion).
I think that as the P6 conferences continue to expand it will be more and more difficult to schedule their upper tier teams, especially a home and away series.
Probably our best bet would be to play them in a Holiday tournament at a neutral site.
I am not saying this is the current case, just looking into the future.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Usually we are somewhere in the 7-10 range in conferences depending on the season , good addition with Loyola to get us closer to the 7th best
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 has been slipping for the past several years
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Andy Katz's latest ranking of top 10 basketball conference as of 12/2/21.
He has A10 #9
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... far-season
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bad news for the Bonnies and A10, especially considering Schmidt hasn't used his bench much,
Lofton is the leader of this team averaged 17.4 pts/ 6 assists.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

High ankle sprains are rough big loss for Bona
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bonnies beat writer JP Butler estimated that Lofton might be out 2-6 weeks depending on the severity if it were a high ankle sprain.

Missed time scenarios
Out 2 weeks - miss Buffalo/Loyola-MD/vs UConn
Out 3 weeks - above + vs Va Tech/@Northeastern
Out 4 weeks - same as above (no games right before and after Christmas)
Out 5 weeks - above + @GW/@Dayton/Fordham
Out 6 weeks - above + SLU/@LaSalle

Unfortunately for both the Bonnies and the A-10, it would appear very likely that he may well be out for all their remaining five OOC games.

Bona may have to survive short-term without Lofton
https://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports ... 9aa05.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Open the door for URI
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton, the youngest team in the A10, now has won 5 straight games including the tough ESPN Events Invitational.
They came out of the gate very slow this season, and Grant was getting a lot of heat.
They do have a brutal OOC schedule with 3 P5 teams left: SMU, Virginia Tech, and Ole Miss.

Davidson is also on a 5-game winning streak, although not as tough a schedule.
PG Foster Loyer (Mi. State transfer) has fit in very nicely. maybe the missing piece they needed.
They are very well balanced with 4 players averaging double digits.
All A10 player Lee having a strong start as expected (18 pts/7 rebs)

The Bonnies are the Bonnies decent start (7-1) and always well coached by Schmidt.
They will be tested without their star PG Lofton.

VCU is trying to hang on after losing 2 starters before the season, but they are deep and have talent.

Richmond is probably the biggest disappointment, but with their veterans they will probably turn it around in conference play.
If not, the fire Mooney chants will continue to get louder.

SLU is actually not playing bad without projected A10 POY Perkins. Transfer Nesbitt has been filling in well for him and Jimerson is becoming their star player this season.
Travis Ford is a good coach, and they have a good chance to still finish in the upper tier of the A10.

Rhody, well what can you say, even though their record is close to what I predicted so far, I still come away feeling very disappointed.
I continue to see the same mistakes that have plagued them for some time now.
I was hoping for more improvement, but currently not happening.
I originally predicted a 6th place finish, but with all the injuries to the other teams, I thought we had a good chance to finish better.
Now, at least from the way they are performing, probably just a middle of the pack A10 team, maybe.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still thinking we finish in the 5-7 range
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I still thinking we finish in the 5-7 range
So, solid mediocrity (which is the absolute worst) then?
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I think URI will be lucky if it has a winning record in conference play this year. Free throw % & 3pt % are not good. There's no consistency. I am not seeing week to week improvement from this team, so that leads me to believe it could be the same or even worse than last year. In my opinion, the team lacks leaders & focus. They don't seem like a mentally strong or confident bunch. They'll shoot great against bad teams & turtle against good ones.
Hurley's NCAA team had players with grit & tenacity. They all knew their roles & spots on the floor from which to shoot.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

5th to 7th is a stretch imo.

I predicted an 8-10 conference record, and to this point I see nothing to change that.

We could, and probably will, lose most of our road conference games. Around a 3-6 record there, and 5-4 at home.

Again, how much blame do you attribute to a lack of talent, or lack of coaching?

It's obviously a combination of the two.

It's the coach's job to bring in the talent, and while we have some good players, they aren't that good, nor do we have enough of them.

The point guard is the straw that stirs the drink in college BB...and ours are mediocre.

Could Bozeman help recruit better talent here? That question isn't likely to be answered though, I doubt he'll get the chance.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 5th to 7th is a stretch imo.

I predicted an 8-10 conference record, and to this point I see nothing to change that.

We could, and probably will, lose most of our road conference games. Around a 3-6 record there, and 5-4 at home.

Again, how much blame do you attribute to a lack of talent, or lack of coaching?

It's the coach's job to bring in the talent, and while we have some good players, they aren't that good, nor do we have enough of them.

The point guard is the straw that stirs the drink in college BB...and ours are mediocre.

Could Bozeman help recruit better talent here? That question isn't likely to be answered though, I doubt he'll get the chance.
As inconsistent as we are the rest of the league is pretty much the same

Even though we don't have EC Matthews and Jared Terrell type dudes on our team, it still looks like we are more talented than almost all of the A-10.

Everyone in the league can basically beat and lose to everybody. Even St Bona. Just lost by 10 to N Iowa at home.

So I wouldn't call it a stretch that we will finish 5th. I could see that as easily as 10th. Nothing will surprise me.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Even though we don't have EC Matthews and Jared Terrell type dudes on our team, it still looks like we are more talented than almost all of the A-10.

Everyone in the league can basically beat and lose to everybody. Even St Bona. Just lost by 10 to N Iowa at home.

So I wouldn't call it a stretch that we will finish 5th. I could see that as easily as 10th. Nothing will surprise me.
I think to say we are more talented than almost all the A10 is a big stretch.

Probably more than the lower half, but not as talented as the upper tier 1-5.
If we do have it the players certainly haven't shown it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Plus our A10 schedule isn’t as bad as before since we don’t play the supposed best teams twice that’s why I am sticking to my 5-7 range
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I mean have you watched the other A-10 teams?

What five teams look more talented than us?

We are on par with anyone in talent in the A-10

But we are number one in THROWING THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS TO A CHAIR, CHEERLEADER, OR WALL a million times a game so....our hot mess status of our coaching and team kinda negates all the talent we have
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

But we are number one in THROWING THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS TO A CHAIR, CHEERLEADER, OR WALL a million times a game so....our hot mess status of our coaching and team kinda negates all the talent we have
I have watched many A10 games.

At this time, I don't feel our roster is on par with the Bonnies, Richmond, or even Davidson for that matter
Dayton has plenty of youth and they are extremely talented.
Granted, the injuries have leveled the playing field with us compared to VCU and SLU, but it is close.

The problem is aside from losing to Providence our competition hasn't been great.
I guess I am still very emotional after watching them in Florida and again disappointed in our play since.

Look in sports as we know things can change rapidly along with our expectations.
A month from now I may think we have the best team in the A10 (hope so), and the reverse can also be true.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I have watched many A10 games.

At this time, I don't feel our roster is on par with the Bonnies, Richmond, o even Davidson for that matter
Dayton has plenty of youth and they are extremely talented.
Granted, the injuries have leveled the playing field with us compared to VCU and SLU, but it is close.

The problem is aside from losing to Providence our competition hasn't been great.
I guess I am still very emotional after watching them in Florida and again disappointed in our play since.

Look in sports as we know things can change rapidly along with our expectations.
A month from now I may think we have the best team in the A10 (hope so), and the reverse can also be true.
I know everyone craps on FGCU, but we lost to Net 242 Tulsa as well.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Barstool has us as a 1-bid. I think that tends to be the consensus around here as of now. Dayton's had some good wins but tough losses.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/podcast/ ... the-middle
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Barstool has us as a 1-bid. I think that tends to be the consensus around here as of now. Dayton's had some good wins but tough losses.

The league play will determine how many bids we get. If everyone is knocking each other off, than we very well may only get one. If the top teams pull away and have very good conference records, we will get more. The entire season needs to play out.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Barstool has us as a 1-bid. I think that tends to be the consensus around here as of now. Dayton's had some good wins but tough losses.

The league play will determine how many bids we get. If everyone is knocking each other off, than we very well may only get one. If the top teams pull away and have very good conference records, we will get more. The entire season needs to play out.
Yep, all these predictions are fun to look at and speculate, but don't really mean much now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

League play? Our top NET team is Davidson at 50 right now. They are not getting an at large. So how does league play work?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bona has a couple tough games coming up Uconn and VT those will be telling for their at large chances
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Bona has a couple tough games coming up Uconn and VT those will be telling for their at large chances
Yup. If they can win those and then have a solid A10 season they should receive a bid. Then we can hope to have another team get the automatic bid and we have two A10 teams make the tourney. That's really the only hope or we'll end up having a 1 bid conference.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wouldn’t listen to those 3 idiots who made that / have a college basketball podcast.

I’d almost guarantee whoever the 3 most knowledgeable college basketball people on this board know more than those guys.

Having said that, A10 probably is a one bid conference this year, but wouldn’t justify it by bringing up The Three Stooges from Barstool.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wasn’t it reported he had a full torn Achilles?

No way that was the case then, because he returned way way too quick for that injury.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I wouldn’t listen to those 3 idiots who made that / have a college basketball podcast.

I’d almost guarantee whoever the 3 most knowledgeable college basketball people on this board know more than those guys.

Having said that, A10 probably is a one bid conference this year, but wouldn’t justify it by bringing up The Three Stooges from Barstool.
So you agree with the "idiots" on barstool?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, but only after confirming that "they" are idiots.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One of those idiots couldn’t name ONE player on either Gonzaga or Baylor last year during the season.

But yes, as for the one bid A10, I agree with.

Just wouldn’t continue using them as a reference point.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

League play? Our top NET team is Davidson at 50 right now. They are not getting an at large. So how does league play work?
It’s very impressive how on 12/9 you know exactly how this season will play out. I guess there is nothing else to say then. Fine, we are a 1 bid league.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No way that was the case then, because he returned way way too quick for that injury.
I think it was mentioned as a partial tear.
Still an extremely fast recovery.
Hell. I am much older. but it took me almost 2 years until I was pain free.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think it was mentioned as a partial tear.
Still an extremely fast recovery.
Hell. I am much older. but it took me almost 2 years until I was pain free.
This was announced in June

https://www.vcuramnation.com/2021/06/vc ... es-tendon/

I’m no Dr and I don’t play one on TV but it feels like a gamble after reading about his early return and limits on minutes……..

https://www.a10talk.com/ace-in-the-hole ... lle-state/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU freshman guard Nunn has led them in scoring 2 of the last 3 games, 20 the last game and 21 against UConn (still wish he came here).
Starting center Ward missed the last game and most of the game before with an ankle injury.
Even without Watkins this team is talented, they can make some noise in the A10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago VCU freshman guard Nunn has led them in scoring 2 of the last 3 games, 20 the last game and 21 against UConn (still wish he came here).
Starting center Ward missed the last game and most of the game before with an ankle injury.
Even without Watkins this team is talented, they can make some noise in the A10.
You know we recruited Ward pretty hard too.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago VCU freshman guard Nunn has led them in scoring 2 of the last 3 games, 20 the last game and 21 against UConn (still wish he came here).
Yes Ramster, and can never forget we lost out on their star guard Bones. Damn.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Dayton had a real tough 3-game stretch earlier in the season that really derailed their hopes of being a bubble team.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Top A10 programs can land talent like that. It’s not a miracle like some on here think. Get a better coach. Win.. You’ll start to see better recruits.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

All of this talk about the A 10 being a one bid league makes me chuckle . I think I've heard that before in other years when the league ended up with three or four teams in when all was said and done. Don't forget that the other teams around the country need to play out their seasons too . I could
see Dayton , St. Bonaventure and possibly one other contending for an at large bid and another team collecting the A 10 automatic bid . so i wouldn't yet count out the possibility of three or four teams making the dance . It is way too early to make any such determination . Some of it also depends on how many league winners win their tournament championships which could leave extra bids on the board or conversely , could take them away . Sure it
is a fun topic , but be careful about speaking with authority at this point in the season . Is URI out of the question as an at large bid or possibly the
automatic bid ? I don't think so , not yet . Of course they will need to beat some of the better conference teams especially on the road , but at this point
I don't think that is out of the question . They are playing elite defense right now and shooting the ball well . they just need tocut down on the silly fouls and the turnovers . I think that isn't too much to ask. The size and talent seem to be there from my perspective.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 2 years ago All of this talk about the A 10 being a one bid league makes me chuckle . I think I've heard that before in other years when the league ended up with three or four teams in when all was said and done. Don't forget that the other teams around the country need to play out their seasons too . I could
see Dayton , St. Bonaventure and possibly one other contending for an at large bid and another team collecting the A 10 automatic bid . so i wouldn't yet count out the possibility of three or four teams making the dance . It is way too early to make any such determination . Some of it also depends on how many league winners win their tournament championships which could leave extra bids on the board or conversely , could take them away . Sure it
is a fun topic , but be careful about speaking with authority at this point in the season . Is URI out of the question as an at large bid or possibly the
automatic bid ? I don't think so , not yet . Of course they will need to beat some of the better conference teams especially on the road , but at this point
I don't think that is out of the question . They are playing elite defense right now and shooting the ball well . they just need tocut down on the silly fouls and the turnovers . I think that isn't too much to ask. The size and talent seem to be there from my perspective.
Our only chance of a bid is at the conference tournament. Dayton already has 3 quad 4 losses. They aren't receiving a bid.

My guess is the A10 ends up with 2 teams. Like most seasons.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

luke wrote: 2 years ago All of this talk about the A 10 being a one bid league makes me chuckle . I think I've heard that before in other years when the league ended up with three or four teams in when all was said and done. Don't forget that the other teams around the country need to play out their seasons too . I could
The only way that URI becomes an at large team is if we win out and lose in the A10 championship game to a good team. We've beat nobody good yet this year, our 8 wins are totally empty
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Win out and go to A 10 championship ? you think URI has to go 30 -4 to make the dance ? Really ? I think that is a little extreme . If URI can win at
St. Bonaventure , split with Dayton and Davidson and at VCU and finish 13 -5 and win two in the A 10 Tournament for an overall record of 25 -9 I
think they would probably get in . Will any of this happen ? Who knows ?