12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If Rhody could lose at FGCU, it can certainly lose tonight at Milwaukee. Who knows what type of performance they will put forth.
Pretty big difference in NET and overall W/L

FGSU NET 155 (7-3)

MILWAUKEE NET 322 (2-7)

This would be a considerably worse than FGSU

Personally I think we demolish the 6.5 point spread. Juicy as one Rhody Football Fan would say it
I don't think you understand how good Baldwin is. Have you watched this team, or are you simply going off a NET ranking? I've only watched them twice, but they are not an easy opponent.

A team like Milwaukee needs their superstar to have a chance in most games. When he plays, they are far from a ranking of 322. They are similar to FGCU. We can definitely lose this game if we play a second half like we did against them.
Yes Stevey.
Prior to the season and looking at our OOC schedule, I was much more concerned about this game than FGCU.
Like I said, I hope Ramster is correct and proves me wrong.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If Rhody could lose at FGCU, it can certainly lose tonight at Milwaukee. Who knows what type of performance they will put forth.

FGSU NET 155 (7-3)

MILWAUKEE NET 322 (2-7)

Personally I think we demolish the 6.5 point spread. Juicy as one Rhody Football Fan would say it
I don't think you understand how good Baldwin is. Have you watched this team, or are you simply going off a NET ranking? I've only watched them twice, but they are not an easy opponent.

A team like Milwaukee needs their superstar to have a chance in most games. When he plays, they are far from a ranking of 322. They are similar to FGCU. We can definitely lose this game if we play a second half like we did against them.
I have looked at Baldwins Stats for all of his games. No reason we shouldn’t roll over this team.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

FGSU NET 155 (7-3)

MILWAUKEE NET 322 (2-7)

I have looked at Baldwins Stats for all of his games. No reason we shouldn’t roll over this team.
He averages 16.5 ppg and 7.5 rebs a game.. That's very good... Take away the game he got hurt in, and he's averaging 18 ppg... That's even better.

We also should have killed FGCU, and we lost.

If our team shoots well and we don't let up, we should win by double digits. However, we have no idea what team will show up under David Cox, so assuming that this is a cupcake that we will blow out is VERY risky. Hopefully, the players don't go into this game thinking that...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

He averages 16.5 ppg and 7.5 rebs a game.. That's very good... Take away the game he got hurt in, and he's averaging 18 ppg... That's even better.

If our team shoots well and we don't let up, we should win by double digits. However, we have no idea what team will show up under David Cox, so assuming that this is a cupcake that we will blow out is VERY risky. Hopefully, the players don't go into this game thinking that...
Well the good news is, whether Baldwin plays or not tonight, Cox will have the team ready for him.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You absolutely have to throw their record and NET out, their All American and Lottery pick has barely played.

Would not be surprised in the least bit if they beat us.

They're at home with the best player on the floor, one of the best freshman in the country.

Should we win? Yea probably, and Vegas seems to agree too.

Would I be shocked if we lost? Absolutely not.
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The last time I flew out of Mitchell it was 3AM and all our bags were unloaded on the tarmac and searched prior to departure.
1999? OT loss to Charlotte before they joined the A-10.
Lamar's last game...
I was on that flight.
Who was the dope that said "I've got a bomb"?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago You absolutely have to throw their record and NET out, their All American and Lottery pick has barely played.

They're at home with the best player on the floor, one of the best freshman in the country.

This is exactly how I feel...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago You absolutely have to throw their record and NET out, their All American and Lottery pick has barely played.

Baldwin 39.5% FG. Very inefficient for a big man or any player

Our Big Men shooting percentages
Makhi and Makhel 61% FG
Walker 67% FG
Martin 47% FG
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You both should take Milwaukee and the 7 points then.

Our big men are much higher percentage shooters than Milwaukee has.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

16.5 ppg but a weak 39.5FG%
Maybe Baldwin breaks out of his shooting woes against us but I think our shot blocking proficiency will impact his shooting ability.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Makhi and Makhel 61% FG
Walker 67% FG
Martin 47% FG
He's not a big.. He plays like a guard. Reminds me of Michael Porter.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I have looked at Baldwins Stats for all of his games. No reason we shouldn't roll over this team.

16.5 ppg but a weak 39.5FG%
Maybe Baldwin breaks out of his shooting woes against us but I think our shot blocking proficiency will impact his shooting ability.
This is why you need to actually watch some of the games, not just go off of stats. Baldwin is not going to be driving much to the hoop. He pulls up a lot. He will shoot the 3 a good amount as well. The Twins won't have much opportunity to block his shots.

He's going to have a lower FG% because he's by far their best player and will be shooting many shots. For example, Shep and Ish shoot the most shots on our team. Shep's fg% is 37% and Ish's is 40%...

He may have a cold game shooting, but he will be a top 10 pick in the draft
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Makhi and Makhel 61% FG
Walker 67% FG
Martin 47% FG
Who do you think gets the Baldwin defensive assignment tonight?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Makhi and Makhel 61% FG
Walker 67% FG
Martin 47% FG
…….depends on what our scout strategy suggests…….I would have to say Martin, but that would require altering the starting line up……….not confident that will happen…….no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Makhi and Makhel 61% FG
Walker 67% FG
Martin 47% FG
I said previously that this is a game where you need Martin to play as many minutes as he can handle. Start him and play him whenever Baldwin plays. When he sits, sit Martin. Walker is quicker than the Twins, so I think Cox may have him defend him for a few minutes. Idk if Carey is back, but a 6'4 athletic guard like him could help. Ish is much stronger than he is, but he doesn't have the size. If he's lighting us up, Illeri may make an appearance because his size and length could help.

Or we go zone. Robert Morris went zone, and it worked pretty well. But, unfortunately, they couldn't score the rock.

I'd also try doubling him. Get the ball out of his hands and make their weaker players beat us.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I also think it would be a mistake to have a foul-prone player like Makhel guard him. His length will help but I'm not sure he can stick with Baldwin. He's quick and has a solid handle.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Even with Baldwin they're a bad team. With him they're 2-4, with their 2 wins coming at KenPom #343 North Dakota and vs. #306 Robert Morris. They lost to #192 Eastern Kentucky, at #28 Florida, vs. #172 Bowling Green, and at #78 Colorado. A loss against this team is a disaster, plain and simple
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Even with Baldwin they're a bad team. With him they're 2-4, with their 2 wins coming at KenPom #343 North Dakota and vs. #306 Robert Morris. They lost to #192 Eastern Kentucky, at #28 Florida, vs. #172 Bowling Green, and at #78 Colorado. A loss against this team is a disaster, plain and simple
Bowling Green was a close game until he got hurt. So really they have one bad loss to Eastern Kentucky... The other two are teams that would beat us.

I agree this would be a bad loss. However, I don't think we should assume this team will be an easy win because of their NET ranking, especially on the road.

Rhody wins by 8.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The last time I flew out of Mitchell it was 3AM and all our bags were unloaded on the tarmac and searched prior to departure.
Lamar's last game...
I was on that flight.
Wasn't that the NCAA game that we would have won in regulation had not St. Daddy-o the Great gotten T'd up for one of his late-game meltdowns?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Something sounds weirdly familiar from their Fan Forum...

At this point, I'm actually expecting them to give coach Baldwin an extension, because what's another year of losing basketball lol? Clearly it doesn't mean much to the people running this program. He may be a nice, good guy, but that's not enough qualifications to earn a HC position at the D1 level - and he clearly lacks the other ones needed.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Lamar's last game...
I was on that flight.
.... and within ear-shot of a security gate guard!!! The dope wasn't prosecuted because it wasn't a scheduled commercial flight.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Even with Baldwin they're a bad team. With him they're 2-4, with their 2 wins coming at KenPom #343 North Dakota and vs. #306 Robert Morris. They lost to #192 Eastern Kentucky, at #28 Florida, vs. #172 Bowling Green, and at #78 Colorado. A loss against this team is a disaster, plain and simple
It would be a horrific loss to ever lose to any team that is ranked #322.

Baldwin is a 6'9" guard. If not changing the starting lineup (which Cox said he has no intention of doing last week) then it would seem Leggett or El-Amin gets the assignment

Looks to me like Leggett gets Baldwin. Leggett is a tough kid. Loved how he missed it up with Crosswell in the 2nd half at PC for a tied up situation. Leggett on Baldwin will be fun to watch.

Colorado Starting Line Up and Minutes Played vs Colorado
St Pierre - 24: 6'10" 255# Junior C - Makhel Mitchell
Sims - 16: 6'7" Junior F - Makhi Mitchell
Lathon - 24: 6'4" Junior G - El-Amin
Baldwin - 32: 6'9" Freshman G - Leggett
Newby - 27: 6'1" Freshman G - Sheppard

Off bench
Thomas - 29: 6'4" Senior G
Gholston - 29: 6'5" Junior G

Baldwin likes to shoot 3Ps but has been inconsistent
North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10

He is not a big assists Guard with only 11 assists in 6 games and 13 turnovers
Only 8 personal fouls in 6 games and he only has 4 steals on the year - doesn't sound like a guy who plays very aggressive defense and tries to avoid contact

Not counting the Robert Morris Game Baldwin is only 8-34 for 23.5% on 3P's, including RMU Baldwin is 14-40 for 35%.

Will be interesting to track who covers Baldwin throughout and how we do shutting down the rest of the team - don't want another replay of Ed Crosswell.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Baldwin is a 6'9" guard. If not changing the starting lineup (which Cox said he has no intention of doing last week) then it would seem Leggett or El-Amin gets the assignment

Looks to me like Leggett gets Baldwin. Leggett is a tough kid. Loved how he missed it up with Crosswell in the 2nd half at PC for a tied up situation. Leggett on Baldwin will be fun to watch.

Off bench

North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10

Only 8 personal fouls in 6 games

Not counting the Robert Morris Game Baldwin is only 8-34 for 23.5% on 3P's, including RMU Baldwin is 14-40 for 35%.

Will be interesting to track who covers Baldwin throughout and how we do shutting down the rest of the team - don't want another replay of Ed Crosswell.
I am also worried about the defensive matchup with Gholston, who is also capable of going off on us.
He has good size (6'5") at guard, "currently averaging 15pts and was their scoring leader last season at almost 18pts.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Diving deeper into KenPom, Milwaukee is a horrific offensive team. Just bad across the board. Their defense is strong in some areas and bad in others, but if things go well tonight we'll be 'feeling good' about URI's defense. Defending this team well is not a high bar to clear.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Off bench

North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10

I am also worried about the defensive matchup with Gholston, who is also capable of going off on us.
He has good size (6'5") at guard, "currently averaging 15pts and was their scoring leader last season at almost 18pts.
Like Baldwin, Points per Game by Gholston are not efficient. Only 40% FG, only 33% 3P. Only 7 assists and 16 turnovers for Gholston so not a good ball handler. Put El-Amin or Leggett on him and they will give him problems on defense.

Baldwin and Gholston get Points per Game but I think both will struggle with good defensive pressure that we have applied for most of the year. They have not encountered shot blocking capability like they will encounter tonight.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I always thought defending a team with only one really good player was easy, but what do I know. Anyway, I'm glad I came here today because I totally forgot there was a game tonight. And I'm a die hard fan.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Off bench

North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10

Like Baldwin, Points per Game by Gholston are not efficient. Only 40% FG, only 33% 3P. Only 7 assists and 16 turnovers for Gholston so not a good ball handler. Put El-Amin or Leggett on him and they will give him problems on defense.

Baldwin and Gholston get Points per Game but I think both will struggle with good defensive pressure that we have applied for most of the year. They have not encountered shot blocking capability like they will encounter tonight.
Gholston is a very skilled player. Great footwork and can slash well. He uses his body very well, like Ish. However, he's not a shooter. Yes, his overall FG% is 40% because of his weak 3pt % but his 2pt FG% is 45%.. .That's his bread and butter...

He and Baldwin will be tough to defend. After that, it's a significant drop-off. We should score on them a lot if we play smart basketball.

Rhody by 8!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Off bench

North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10

Some of the Buffs feedback from the game was that Milwaukee was more talented than their record indicated.
Also, Milwaukee packed the lane daring Colorado to beat them from the outside.
Colorado is big and dominant inside much like us, so wouldn't be surprised if we see much of the same from them.
It is important for our guards to hit their shots so they don't cheat on them and will help to open up our inside game.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

When we protect the ball (limit turnovers) and play stingy defense we can be a tough team. We just haven't seen that for prolonged periods of time.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If they in fact pack the lane and dare us to shoot from the outside, I would think there will be few minutes for Bassy. Of course, if Cox has already decided how many minutes Bassy will play, I am sure he won't change during the game!

(This could be a good example of how conference foes will play us, pack it in and force Bassy to make shots or we are forced to not play him much)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We are 5th in the A10 in 3P Shooting Percentage. If a team wants to pack it in against us then go ahead because 3P Shooting is a strength this season
We have the 4th, 14th and 24th ranked 3P Shooters in the A10

4th - Leggett
14th - El-Amin
24th - Sheppard

Pack it in, please
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago We are 5th in the A10 in 3P Shooting Percentage. If a team wants to pack it in against us then go ahead because 3P Shooting is a strength this season

4th - Leggett
14th - El-Amin
24th - Sheppard

Pack it in, please
Hoping for a good performance from them, plus the rest of the team.
We will find out soon.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago When we protect the ball (limit turnovers) and play stingy defense we can be a tough team. We just haven't seen that for prolonged periods of time.
Can you name me a team that your statement above cannot be applied to?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago We are 5th in the A10 in 3P Shooting Percentage. If a team wants to pack it in against us then go ahead because 3P Shooting is a strength this season

4th - Leggett
14th - El-Amin
24th - Sheppard

Pack it in, please
We will find out soon.
I have seen Leggett referred to as a slasher, but I think he is much more than just that style. He can shoot the 3P, he can drive and slither through traffic for efficient layups, he can pass, he can dribble through traffic, he is strong defensively and he is a winner. His battling with Ed Crosswell during the PC game typifies Ishmael Leggett. Leggett would not back down from Crosswell - I replayed that battle for possession about 20 times on replay.

Last Season: 16-38 3P = 42.1%
This Season: 10-20 3P = 50%
Total: 26-58 3P = 44.8%

He practices his shooting a lot.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just saw that Makhel is shooting 70% (21-30) from the line.

More reason to feed him the rock. Whether they pack it in or not.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago When we protect the ball (limit turnovers) and play stingy defense we can be a tough team. We just haven't seen that for prolonged periods of time.
A team that plays stingy defense and has a low turnover rate consistently? Seton Hall
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4th - Leggett
14th - El-Amin
24th - Sheppard

Pack it in, please
We will find out soon.
I have seen Leggett referred to as a slasher, but I think he is much more than just that style. He can shoot the 3P, he can drive and slither through traffic for efficient layups, he can pass, he can dribble through traffic, he is strong defensively and he is a winner. His battling with Ed Crosswell during the PC game typifies Ishmael Leggett. Leggett would not back down from Crosswell - I replayed that battle for possession about 20 times on replay.

Last Season: 16-38 3P = 42.1%
This Season: 10-20 3P = 50%
Total: 26-58 3P = 44.8%

He practices his shooting a lot.
Curious to see how they defend us, maybe they will respect our shooters.
When our team is playing well, we have a nice balanced attack.

My bigger concern is how well we defend them and stay out of foul trouble.

I would hate to see another slow start; they need to come out of the gate fired up.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprised to hear they are NET 322, we better not lose this game , I will stick to my URI by 5
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

There are only 36 teams with a worse NET than this team. We should beat this team by 25.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Let’s hope the week off gave the boys a chance to refocus. Between this and Charleston only 2 games in 14 days. The the real grind begins
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Surprised to hear they are NET 322, we better not lose this game , I will stick to my URI by 5
Their KenPom ratings is a little higher at 214, better than Duquesne, LaSalle, and GW.
I don't put a lot of faith into how well we will perform against a team just based on their ratings, especially at this point in the season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Surprised to hear they are NET 322, we better not lose this game , I will stick to my URI by 5
Their KenPom ratings is a little higher at 214, better than Duquesne, LaSalle, and GW.
I don't put a lot of faith into how well we will perform against a team just based on their ratings, especially at this point in the season.
You meant to say in year four of the coach, right?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Sure, the current Umass team. They can play sloppy and no D and still win a few games bc they can outscore mediocre teams. We can’t.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I expect a struggle....it's a road game, no matter how poor the opponent.

Still waiting for this team to play well for most of a game.....not just for a half or occasional stretches.

Nothing would surprise me, except maybe a blowout in our favor.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Great start!

Hate when there's just one guy doing the color commentating
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

10-0 start, anyone have that on their bingo card?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice start 10-0 URI let’s pound this squad !!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

10-0 to start.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We'll take it!
Mobley was fouled.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Great start!

Hate when there's just one guy doing the color commentating
Seriously. There isn’t even a student they could get to fill in ?