David Cox Coach’s Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

David Cox Coach’s Show

Unread post by section(105) »

……….was there one promoted on the score board the other nite?…….during SC game……at Twin Willows……Did I miss it, tonite?…….have not heard one lately……..are they still a thing?….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: David Cox Coach’s Show

Unread post by CamsRams »

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I listened.

Steve even noticed that Walker and Martin have been two of our very best players and asked if he would be willing to change the starting lineup. NOPE
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I listened.

Steve even noticed that Walker and Martin have been two of our very best players and asked if he would be willing to change the starting lineup. NOPE
Yes, one of the big takeaways from this, he will keep the same starting 5.
Also stressed need to improve our defensive intensity and increase our rebounding advantage.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugh I want so bad for this guy to figure it out but it sounds like he wants to go down doing it his way.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Some other takes. Steve's questions were great last night..

1. Cox said he should have played Thomas more against PC. I like that he noticed that, but I wish he saw that during the game.

2. He compared Thomas to Dowtin again. He brought up the "hockey assists" that Thomas can have. He is very good at putting people in the right places to score, leading to a basket. That's something that you're not going to see when looking at his stats

3. Cox said we need to improve our rebounding since we are a big team. And we need to strengthen our execution.

4. He said Shep is still new to being the floor general. He knows that it will take some time for him to get comfortable. Honestly, I'm not sure if he ever will be. He's not a point guard

5. Walker and Martin said all the right things. They want to do what's best for the team. They don't care if they start or come off the bench. Malik broke down how he views the game from the bench and preps watching the film. He's such an intelligent player. They both want to be the 6th man of the year.

6. Cox said putting Martin on Thomas against Sacred Heart won us the game. He's our go too when we need someone to be locked down.

7. Cox said he subbed the five guys out because they didn't play with enough energy. He didn't even say a thing to them and focused on the guys on the floor. I like that. He said today's practice was excellent, and he noticed that the guys seemed to be more vocal and energized. Let's see if we can bring that against Milwaukee.

8. I've said this 10000 times, but Cox is such an intelligent guy. He seems so genuine and kind. I want him to succeed!! Turn this around, Cox!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Some other takes. Steve's questions were great last night..

1. Cox said he should have played Thomas more against PC. I like that he noticed that, but I wish he saw that during the game.

2. He compared Thomas to Dowtin again. He brought up the "hockey assists" that Thomas can have. He is very good at putting people in the right places to score, leading to a basket. That's something that you're not going to see when looking at his stats

3. Cox said we need to improve our rebounding since we are a big team. And we need to strengthen our execution.

4. He said Shep is still new to being the floor general. He knows that it will take some time for him to get comfortable. Honestly, I'm not sure if he ever will be. He's not a point guard

5. Walker and Martin said all the right things. They want to do what's best for the team. They don't care if they start or come off the bench. Malik broke down how he views the game from the bench and preps watching the film. He's such an intelligent player. They both want to be the 6th man of the year.

6. Cox said putting Martin on Thomas against Sacred Heart won us the game. He's our go too when we need someone to be locked down.

7. Cox said he subbed the five guys out because they didn't play with enough energy. He didn't even say a thing to them and focused on the guys on the floor. I like that. He said today's practice was excellent, and he noticed that the guys seemed to be more vocal and energized. Let's see if we can bring that against Milwaukee.

8. I've said this 10000 times, but Cox is such an intelligent guy. He seems so genuine and kind. I want him to succeed!! Turn this around, Cox!!
Well put Stevey, good take.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cox is a lottttt of "Talk" and less "walk".
GO RAMS
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Ugh I want so bad for this guy to figure it out but it sounds like he wants to go down doing it his way.
the capt. always goes down with the ship. it's admirable.
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Ugh I want so bad for this guy to figure it out but it sounds like he wants to go down doing it his way.
No, it isn't
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
No, it isn't
it takes ballz (keaneyblue ones), to stick to your guns when you know you're on a sinking ship. we don't have to like it but I can respect it.

here's to brighter days.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Wife and I went to Willows for the show, we are locals. It was a good crowd I have to say. It's funny how much thinner the players look in regular street clothes without their padded "under armor" stuff on underneath!

Good summary Stevie. Gym Shorts asked some great questions we thought as well.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Must Cox start both twins as part of some agreement in recruiting? Cox's insistence in starting both is baffling and unrelated to winning.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Must Cox start both twins as part of some agreement in recruiting? Cox's insistence in starting both is baffling and unrelated to winning.
He didn’t start them both last year. Makhi started the season then Makhel started the rest of the year. Makhi came off the bench Games 3,4,5,6 and 7 then he hurt his knee and remained out the rest of the year. Obviously no agreement.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Must Cox start both twins as part of some agreement in recruiting? Cox's insistence in starting both is baffling and unrelated to winning.
He didn’t start them both last year. Makhi started the season, then Makhel started the rest of the year. Makhi came off the bench Games 3,4,5,6 and 7 then he hurt his knee and remained out the rest of the year. Obviously no agreement.
I’m not sure we can go off of last year... With players transferring so much, Cox needs to convince our guys to stay after each season. I’m not saying he promised them that they would both start, but it’s certainly possible. If Walker continues to outplay Makhi, I think Cox will play him more minutes regardless of starting. If not…then that’s a huge mistake
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it sounds like Cox isn’t changing the starting which doesn’t bother me too much , the key is who gets the minutes and who plays in crunch time
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah it sounds like Cox isn’t changing the starting which doesn’t bother me too much , the key is who gets the minutes and who plays in crunch time
My only reason for concern in this case would be if our starting 5 continues to struggle coming out of the gate.
I would prefer not to see our bench have to consistently play catch up and bail us out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm not losing any sleep over any of this.

Not sweating the details.

We aren't good enough. Coach or players.

It will prove itself out over the rest of the season.

Talked to someone close to the program tonight who thinks Thorr is the problem, still thinks this guy can keep his job even though most want him out.

We'll see.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I listened.

If you are Walker, and you are working towards an opportunity to earn money playing basketball professionally, what are you thinking at this point? He’s clearly earned the opportunity to start. So what does he actually have to do, in Cox’s eyes, to earn that opportunity? What more can he do after 10 games?

I’m open to another explanation, but I can’t come up with one, other than it’s a Coach continuing to placate to players that he thinks will cause a disruption if they don’t get their way.

It’s baffling.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Do we lead the country in technical fouls?

Edit: Nevermind, we only have 3.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……….was there one promoted on the score board the other nite?…….during SC game……at Twin Willows……Did I miss it, tonite?…….have not heard one lately……..are they still a thing?….
Yes, I heard it promoted at Sacred Heart
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Do we lead the country in technical fouls?

Edit: Nevermind, we only have 3.
…….but I will bet we lead the country in techs by a player named Mitchell……. ;)
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Some other takes. Steve's questions were great last night..

To point number 4, why are we trying this experiment? It would make sense if we were trying something for the long term benefit of the program, but Sheppard is gone after this season. Why not maximize his contribution for the short time he has left here instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You know what's more admirable? Steering away from the iceberg in the first place, then no one has to go down with a sinking ship
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago

Talked to someone close to the program tonight who thinks Thorr is the problem, still thinks this guy can keep his job even though most want him out.

We'll see.
The team should easily exceed DH's year 4 record. 9-9 in A10. Lost to Fordham, Lost to UMASS in round 1 of the A10 tournament after beating them at home late in the season. 17-15 overall. Thorr didn't fire DH.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

We'll see.
The team should easily exceed DH's year 4 record. 9-9 in A10. Lost to Fordham, Lost to UMASS in round 1 of the A10 tournament after beating them at home late in the season. 17-15 overall. Thorr didn't fire DH.
He's back!!!!! You've had some blatantly obvious PC troll takes lately, but this is good. I love the ones like this where you know you're going to get the Dan Hurley supporters riled up. Bravo.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We'll see.
uconn>pc
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

We'll see.
The team should also be better than Gonzaga. They lost to Duke, and isn’t their coach 90 years old or something? They also lost at home to Alabama: a football school!
😀😀
(Ps, well done with your take, sir. 😂)
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sorry to state a fact about DH's year 4 record at URI that several found offensive. This fact makes it difficult for Thor to fire Cox for performance reasons. Does URI really want to face the possible repercussions? Since Thorr hired Cox, this could be his Waterloo. Thor needs to let Cox's contract expire.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry to state a fact about DH's year 4 record at URI that several found offensive. This fact makes it difficult for Thor to fire Cox for performance reasons. Does URI really want to face the possible repercussions? Since Thorr hired Cox, this could be his Waterloo. Thor needs to let Cox's contract expire.
Was that the year of the Baron 2.0 thread?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You mean the year our best player got hurt in the first minute of the season? That 4th year?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

To point number 4, why are we trying this experiment? It would make sense if we were trying something for the long term benefit of the program, but Sheppard is gone after this season. Why not maximize his contribution for the short time he has left here instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole?
Experimenting is fine - he needs to know when to pull the plug though. I like that he is starting to see that Thomas is the better option at PG. That is not a slight to Shep or the Ishes who are all combo guards that lean towards 2 guards.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry to state a fact about DH's year 4 record at URI that several found offensive. This fact makes it difficult for Thor to fire Cox for performance reasons. Does URI really want to face the possible repercussions? Since Thorr hired Cox, this could be his Waterloo. Thor needs to let Cox's contract expire.
Help me understand- why would not firing DH have anything to do with Cox. Performance is obviously based on many factors aside from W-L record
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago You mean the year our best player got hurt in the first minute of the season? That 4th year?
Every disappointing season has an excuse. You are what your record says you are. Does Cox get a pass from you for Makhi's and Fatt's injuries last year? Mahki was unable to play at all the last two-thirds of the season. How about Fatts - a projected 1st team A10 and POY candidate - injured and a shell of himself as a player all season? Why can't you give DC the same consideration you give DH? DH was 1 in 5 at URI and 1 in ~10 as a head cpach overall. Remember when Al Skinner was derisively called "1 in 4 Al" and not given a pay raise. DH is a good coach but over-rated - riding on his father's and brother's coat tails.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago You mean the year our best player got hurt in the first minute of the season? That 4th year?
Every disappointing season has an excuse. You are what your record says you are. Does Cox get a pass from you for Makhi's and Fatt's injuries last year? Mahki was unable to play at all the last two-thirds of the season. How about Fatts - a projected 1st team A10 and POY candidate - injured and a shell of himself as a player all season? Why can't you give DC the same consideration you give DH? DH was 1 in 5 at URI and 1 in ~10 as a head cpach overall. Remember when Al Skinner was derisively called "1 in 4 Al" and not given a pay raise. DH is a good coach but over-rated - riding on his father's and brother's coat tails.
This is the weirdest trolling you’ve done yet.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
This is the weirdest trolling you’ve done yet.

It’s pretty incredible how unintelligent 72 is when it comes to basketball.

Think it’s safe to say he isn’t all there upstairs.
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Experimenting is fine - he needs to know when to pull the plug though. I like that he is starting to see that Thomas is the better option at PG. That is not a slight to Shep or the Ishes who are all combo guards that lean towards 2 guards.

Aren't combo guards in reality just shooting guards trying to learn how to play the point? It's hard for those guys as their basketball instinct is to score.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
This is the weirdest trolling you've done yet.

It's pretty incredible how unintelligent 72 is when it comes to basketball.

Think it's safe to say he isn't all there upstairs.
Hey, at least 72 is 72 and doesn't have burner accounts. He takes all our criticism and keeps coming back with outrageous takes. I respect that.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

This is the weirdest trolling you've done yet.

Hey, at least 72 is 72 and doesn't have burner accounts. He takes all our criticism and keeps coming back with outrageous takes. I respect that.
How do you know he doesn’t have multiple accounts? Anyone checked?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

How do you know he doesn’t have multiple accounts? Anyone checked?
Because there’s only one poster coming with the troll takes

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

seriously?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tonight's David Cox Radio Show was taped on Monday, played today

45 minutes

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/821-whjj ... -91765185/
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Used to be I would attend or at least listen live to the coach show back in the Hurley days. Now if not for this thread I wouldn’t even know there was one.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This show was a call between Steve and Coach Cox. No audience that I know of. And it was recorded previous day as Steve announced at the beginning. Maybe because of team having encountered Covid recently and what has happened at PC with Covid? But no reason was provided.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

seriously?
I actually agree with 72 on this. He is a great promoter, good recruiter but overrated as a coach. I think UConn fans see it too.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

seriously?
I actually agree with 72 on this. He is a great promoter, good recruiter but overrated as a coach. I think UConn fans see it too.
The Storrs Leg-humpers have the whiniest, most spoiled fan base this side of the mental hospital.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

seriously?
But the promoter and recruiter thing, at the college level, is arguably as important as the coaching aspect. I don't think most people consider Calipari a tactical genius, for example, but he's still got a national championship. I don't know if Hurley will ever win a national championship, but UConn is ranked and on-track for a second straight NCAA tournament berth. It's one thing if he's been coach there for 10+ years, and never had a deep tourney run, but he's in year four and the team still seems to be on an upward trajectory.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

seriously?
But the promoter and recruiter thing, at the college level, is arguably as important as the coaching aspect. I don't think most people consider Calipari a tactical genius, for example, but he's still got a national championship. I don't know if Hurley will ever win a national championship, but UConn is ranked and on-track for a second straight NCAA tournament berth. It's one thing if he's been coach there for 10+ years, and never had a deep tourney run, but he's in year four and the team still seems to be on an upward trajectory.
two programs and two coaches going in two different directions. weird.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Saying Dan Hurley is an overrated coach after what he did here, is currently doing at UConn, and where Cox has this program now is just a typical case of sour grapes.

People did the same thing with Toppin and Martin, saying Toppin wouldn’t play at all, and Tyrese wouldn’t start.

Both have been proven wrong.

Every fan base does this though, trash players and coaches who chose to leave their program.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

seriously?
Sure - but Cal is successful because he is recruiting multiple lottery picks every year. Dan is picking up high level BE talent, to win in the tournament he will need more then that talent level to win unless he becomes a much better in game coach. Look, he did the same thing here, recruited at the higher end of the A10 level and won. Just my personal opinion that he won’t be going to final fours unless he has much more talent.

Now I would be thrilled with where UConn is right now, UConn fans on the other hand are expecting NCAA championships or at the minimum final fours. Just making it to the second weekend is not enough for them. I also think that if he stayed at Rhody he would be in a similar spot that he is now with a top 25ish team every year based solely on his ability to recruit and sell the program. So I am not happy he left, just being realistic about what he does good as a coach and what I think will be a limitation in his career.