12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago But again…coaching.
Can we start fundraising now for one of the Miller guys?
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Just don’t pay him too much or people will be bitching that he makes too much money like Cooley.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
Just don’t pay him too much or people will be bitching that he makes too much money like Cooley.
Well, if we pay $3 mill a year for a coach who wins 1 NCAAT game in 10 years, yeah that guy should be fired.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………loosing the roster, now or later……..this gonna sound rough, but what is there to keep…….?
…….OK, my bad……..Bassey needs more time, let him develop, keep him for sure, but the thought of him transferring, as I said elsewhere makes me sick…….I like his game, handle court vision, and spunk……work on the free throws, point guards gotta make them…….and his defense……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago There’s a lot of similarities in the fouls called on the Mitchell’s and the 3 years of fouls on Jermaine Harris
…….yes, why is that?……..amazing how we gots two big guys that are foul machines……I just got home from Dump and Back 40…….just reading now…..l
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Thorr will save face by getting rid of Cox now. No harm no foul. Get a seasoned coach in here now!!!!!
Sorry not going to happen, nothing to gain by it. It would make zero sense and Thorr doesn't operate by pure emotion or on a whim.
There would be much player dissension and probably lose most of your roster at the end of the semester.
Unlike Turgeon, David Cox is a very likeable guy, also URI isn't Maryland.
There is a positive. If a new coach came in now, and some of the younger players like Ish and Bassy like the direction the new coach is taking them, maybe they stay. If it happens after the season, they don't know the incoming coach and they most likely leave. I know you don't hire a coach so players would stay, but I'd like a couple of them to still be here.
First of all Ish would be gone in a minute, he only came here because of Cox, who also happens to be very close to his inner circle including his mother.
Probably the same is true for Walker and the twins.
That is what happens when your HC is also the team's lead recruiter.

I agree you don't keep a coach just for the roster, regardless of their record.
Cox may not be the answer, but Thorr isn't making that decision now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sorry not going to happen, nothing to gain by it. It would make zero sense and Thorr doesn't operate by pure emotion or on a whim.
There would be much player dissension and probably lose most of your roster at the end of the semester.
There is a positive. If a new coach came in now, and some of the younger players like Ish and Bassy like the direction the new coach is taking them, maybe they stay. If it happens after the season, they don't know the incoming coach and they most likely leave. I know you don't hire a coach so players would stay, but I'd like a couple of them to still be here.
First of all Ish would be gone in a minute, he only came here because of Cox, who also happens to be very close to his inside circle including his mother.

Who cares who leaves? It's not like these players are URI 4 year stars. Thorr may not be the only one making decisions. And I hope that is true.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Fatts ran the team and did what he wanted without any consequences or being reprimanded rarely if at all. Mitchell twins, though they have talent ,but it also appears Cox let's them do whatever they want continually making the same mistakes game after game, multiple times in a game with very little being said Say what you will about Cooley but I sat a few rows behind bench for Sacred Heart game. About 2 or 3 minutes into the game Watson missed a box out and let a smaller player get inside of him for an offensive rebound in a bucket. Cooley went nuts yanked him from the game and was yelling at him and telling the entire bench if you don't box out, rebound and you allow offensive rebounds you sit no matter who you are. Watson sat for a while. And from that moment their overall rebounding and effort as a team was much better because there was accountability I see no such accountability for Rams players making mistakes
Yup. Exit Fatts and enter the Mitchell twins. Let them do whatever they want. They are foul and turnover machines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Fatts ran the team and did what he wanted without any consequences or being reprimanded rarely if at all. Mitchell twins, though they have talent ,but it also appears Cox let's them do whatever they want continually making the same mistakes game after game, multiple times in a game with very little being said Say what you will about Cooley but I sat a few rows behind bench for Sacred Heart game. About 2 or 3 minutes into the game Watson missed a box out and let a smaller player get inside of him for an offensive rebound in a bucket. Cooley went nuts yanked him from the game and was yelling at him and telling the entire bench if you don't box out, rebound and you allow offensive rebounds you sit no matter who you are. Watson sat for a while. And from that moment their overall rebounding and effort as a team was much better because there was accountability I see no such accountability for Rams players making mistakes
But...it's on the players if they decide they want to play or not, right?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

First of all Ish would be gone in a minute, he only came here because of Cox, who also happens to be very close to his inner circle including his mother.

Who cares!?

In 4 years this coach is yet to have one starter or legitimate player play more than 2 seasons for him.

This argument is dumb on its face for obvious reasons…and if you forgot Jerry D, the last few years should be a reminder.

However, when you talk about THIS coach, there’s no proof these players will stick around if the coach does.

Thomas was the clear best player on the floor tonight and was the key in both our big runs. He got pulled out and we let the game get away. Played 13 mins. You think he’s going to stick it out?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Clearly a disaster. Pull the plug.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Who cares!?

In 4 years this coach is yet to have one starter or legitimate player play more than 2 seasons for him.

This argument is dumb on its face for obvious reasons…and if you forgot Jerry D, the last few years should be a reminder.

However, when you talk about THIS coach, there’s no proof these players will stick around if the coach does.

Thomas was the clear best player on the floor tonight and was the key in both our big runs. He got pulled out and we let the game get away. Played 13 mins. You think he’s going to stick it out?
You should really be Rhody's official preacher and hold basketball sermons.
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

First of all Ish would be gone in a minute, he only came here because of Cox, who also happens to be very close to his inside circle including his mother.

Who cares who leaves? It's not like these players are URI 4 year stars. Thorr may not be the only one making decisions. And I hope that is true.
The last 4 star we got sucked.

You hire the right coach. The right coach will get the right players.

The players who fit with the right coach will stay, the players who don’t will leave. But if you hired the right guy the program will survive.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Who cares!?

What argument are you talking about?
Of course there is no guarantee which players will stay or leave regardless of whether Cox stays or goes.

We are discussing whether or not the administration is going to let him go now, and I say that isn't going to happen at this time.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The last 4 star we got sucked.

You hire the right coach. The right coach will get the right players.

The players who fit with the right coach will stay, the players who don’t will leave. But if you hired the right guy the program will survive.
I want 10am pregame at a URI basketball game with the AD. Thorr, you know what I'm talking about!!!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thorr will save face by getting rid of Cox now. No harm no foul. Get a seasoned coach in here now!!!!!
What to gain?

It would prove this “bar” of championships wasn’t lip service and that we have expectations and standards. That we expect to compete and will not settle. Maybe it generates a boost from some donors.

Again. YOU DO NOT HIRE A COACH TO KEEP A ROSTER.

Find the right guy. Like Hurley was. This is a rebuild now.

Go get a hot younger coach or a buzzworthy name like Miller.

You don’t hire coaches for likability. This is basketball not an etiquette class. You hire them to win.

Unfortunately the NET doesn’t take being a great person into account, so you need to actually be a good coach.
This is a fantastic point , if we were to make a move now then we could get the pick of the litter of the top coaches who are sitting out right now like an Archie Miller . If we wait then we risk not getting our guy who could get scooped up earlier in the hiring process
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Who cares!?

Of course there is no guarantee which players will stay or leave regardless of whether Cox stays or goes.

We are discussing whether or not the administration is going to let him go now, and I say that isn't going to happen at this time.
I agree we won’t let him go now, because that would be a big time move and we aren’t big time.

I think we should, but am resigned to misery and know we’ll wait out this season.

That said, any argument to keep the coach “because we’ll lose players” should be settled by now based on what we can see.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who cares!?

I agree we won’t let him go now, because that would be a big time move and we aren’t big time.

I think we should, but am resigned to misery and know we’ll wait out this season.

That said, any argument to keep the coach “because we’ll lose players” should be settled by now based on what we can see.
I say blow it up. This non con schedule is dog shit.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I say blow it up. This non con schedule is dog shit.
There is NO reason URI shouldn't be 8-1 right now in non-conference. Cox is incapable of fixing the problems that continuously harm the team. He is not a good coach.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Thomas will transfer. Watch.
……the thought of that makes me sick…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think a local kid like Bassy could stay. He wanted to play here, for URI, not necessarily for the coach. I'd love to watch how he develops.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr isn't going to fire Cox now.

He's not Jerry D.

But he has to go at the end of the year.

16-15. Maybe.
They will end up with a better record like 18-13 and people will try to spin why Cox should have one more year, and the “talent” got another year under their belt and on and on. Forced to have a much better record than they deserve because of poor schedule and bad conference they play in
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think a local kid like Bassy could stay. He wanted to play here, for URI, not necessarily for the coach. I'd love to watch how he develops.
I agree with this I’m not worried at all about Bassy transferring , he’s one of the only kids who grew up wanting to play for URI
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I agree we won’t let him go now, because that would be a big time move and we aren’t big time.

You're 100% right. Regardless of how badly this team might fail our eye test, and regardless of how easy the schedule is, there is zero chance we would ever fire any coach (not just Cox) midseason while we have a winning record. That's a big time move (See: Maryland, Turgeon, 5-3).
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Who cares!?

I'm now, for uri's best interest, rooting for a total collapse so there is no doubt what to do at the end of this season.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Well, if we pay $3 mill a year for a coach who wins 1 NCAAT game in 10 years, yeah that guy should be fired.
At 750k per year, uri just paid 3 mil over the last 4 years to not make a tournament once.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

At 750k per year, uri just paid 3 mil over the last 4 years to not make a tournament once.
Waiting for DCrams, TJRams and whatever pathetic 3rd burner account gets created (or is already created) to tell you that you’re an idiot for that take because you just don’t understand basketball and success like he does.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
You people are legit insane. The kid is averaging 2ppg. I would love for him to build on this season and be an annual contributor to this team

There isn’t a transfer market for him. He was a borderline walk on
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm now, for uri's best interest, rooting for a total collapse so there is no doubt what to do at the end of this season.
So let me get this straight, you are rooting against our team for the rest of the season, just so you can be proven correct in getting a new coach.
You don't want a nice run including a strong showing in the A10T.
At least it's nice to know who the true fans are.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Cooley may have his troubles breaking thru in the tournament but earns money for the conference every time he makes it. Which in turn makes money for PC. So in a way he is paying part of his own salary.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
You people are legit insane. The kid is averaging 2ppg. I would love for him to build on this season and be an annual contributor to this team

He sets up and runs the team, takes care of the ball and passes to teammates when they are in a position to score. That's what a true point guard does.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

He sets up and runs the team, takes care of the ball and passes to teammates when they are in a position to score. That's what a true point guard does.
And? He’s shown some ability to do that in super limited minutes against 2nd units for the most part. And primarily also against bad competition. AGAIN I would love nothing more than for him to be the next guy up at URI. But people here acting like his phone is blowing up with offers cause he made a couple good plays is the epitome of this boards delusion
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

So let me get this straight, you are rooting against our team for the rest of the season, just so you can be proven correct in getting a new coach.
Wrong. He doesn’t want to be proven right.

NONE OF US GIVE A HIGH FLYING F#*K IF WE ARE RIGHT ON A F#%KING INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.

The best thing for this program, long term, is a coaching change.

Like when Jets fans root for a loss so they can get #1 pick.

Everyone posting on here except for DCrams and his burner accounts are fans of URI basketball. The program. Not a player. Not a coach. The team.

We want to be good. We have seen enough to know we will not be good with any more games or seasons with Cox at the helm.

A 20-11 season where we miss any postseason play and have zero big wins is a disaster. You are dooming this program to a Cox extension and the furthering of a baronesque long term period of mediocrity.

Suck. Make a change. Be good again.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..what other point guard do we have in the pipeline……?I am not saying he the second coming, but there is an “it factor” going on there…….we gotta cultivate that……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has his predefined roles for his players.

Doesn't matter how they are playing in any particular game.

Makes zero sense, but that's him. He's not going to change.

I hate to be proven right when it comes to Cox. But here we are.
I agree with you. Cox lacks the ruthlessness to be a head coach. He makes commitments to recruits and he is honor bound to keep them. But that is not the reason D1 head coaches are paid more than University Presidents. He is a smart and quality person who will learn from this experience, but not here.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NONE OF US GIVE A HIGH FLYING F#*K IF WE ARE RIGHT ON A F#%KING INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.

Everyone posting on here except for DCrams and his burner accounts are fans of URI basketball. The program. Not a player. Not a coach. The team.

We want to be good. We have seen enough to know we will not be good with any more games or seasons with Cox at the helm.

A 20-11 season where we miss any postseason play and have zero big wins is a disaster. You are dooming this program to a Cox extension and the furthering of a baronesque long term period of mediocrity.

I truly believe Kingston and Jersey are Friar fans,
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And? He’s shown some ability to do that in super limited minutes against 2nd units for the most part. And primarily also against bad competition. AGAIN I would love nothing more than for him to be the next guy up at URI. But people here acting like his phone is blowing up with offers cause he made a couple good plays is the epitome of this boards delusion
I guess you didn't watch today's game.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I guess you didn't watch today's game.
I was in the building, watched every second. I’m allowed to be dissatisfied with how we performed and also recognize Thomas transferring is like #57th on my list of current concerns
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Or maybe DCRams 3rd and 4th burner accounts.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

FWIW. Thomas was +11.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….can I ask what #1,2,and 3 are?………
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Like 105 said, no one thinks he's the second coming but he's the only guard on our team that has any handle. Ish, Ish and Shep and everyone else on this team make me nervous every time they dribble too much. This reminds me of those Baron teams where we had no one who could bring the ball up the floor and we had to convert Parfait into a point guard.

And please stop with the "fire Cox now" nonsense. That is a rarity in college hoops and no one would be saying that if Turgeon didn't step down/mutually part ways with UMD.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is the stupidest statement yet from you.
I guess everyone that disagrees with one of your posts is the enemy.

I have traveled with the team , been rooting with them all over the country.
I rooted against PC back in the Ernie No D days and haven't stopped.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago FWIW. Thomas was +11.
Makes sense. He was on the floor for both runs that brought URI to tied or within 6. He was taken out and the Friars dominated.

Basic math would say the team was -27 without him on the floor.

Now I’m certainly not saying this kid is the next Jeff Dowtin or even a surefire starter.

But he was our clear best player today and the coach didn’t recognize that. A common theme from the past few years.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cmon man. Just bc every person isn’t saying burn the place down it doesn’t make them a Friar fan.

It is extremely rare for a college hoops coach to get fired in season. And it won’t happen in this case at URI. It’s futile to carry on about that scenario. When UConn fired Ollie I am sure they knew 10 games in that it was going that way and they waited til season ended. Do they not think big? It’s just not happening.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey is a Rhody fan
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wrong, that is exactly what he said "rooting for a total collapse."
and you posters are questioning my loyalty to the team, just because I said I doubt the administration will get rid of Cox now.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Lmao. What makes a URI fan a URI fan? Acting like an unhinged psychopath after every loss? Maybe we did deserve all the grief we got on the PC forum.

I’m on the record saying this is a make or break season for Cox. Currently I’d say he’s on the wrong side of his contract bubble. Sure he had a weaker schedule, but I hope our AD would see through an inflated Win total if that’s how the season ends (or the AD might be an equal problem).

Todays game is the one we circle on our calendars every year. I was in the building like many of you. I went home disappointed. Ill still proudly rock Keaney blue because life’s too short to be perpetually miserable
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey is a Rhody fan
Thanks Stevey, we may disagree on certain things but our loyalties are with the Rams.

The other posters also know I am a die hard Rhody fan, but trying to create a little drama. It's comical.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Did Watch the game today. I don’t give a s…how many points he scores, he knows the game of basketball and has most of the skills of a point guard , he and ish more pride and combativeness than shep and Amin. Did u notice how many loose balls Pc got with shep and Amin out there.

I am not knocking them but they are both slight and short without exceptional quickness.

Thomas needs to become a better shooter, but, his command of the floor and ball handling competence are outstanding. If you want to rebuild culture, u need the Thomas’ and ishr and the TJ s Garrett, Jared Stan andFatts mentality. That was a culture