12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Walker got called for an illegal screen foul late second half that he vehemently disagreed with and was talking about it to himself and the ref for a minute or two after. I couldn’t see what he did wrong and I was watching the play close by.

The Ref who was doing all the fancy stretching by the scorers table before the game and clearly is a fitness fanatic made a few horrible calls. One was an offensive foul on Mitchell late right in front of the URI bench. Cox and staff did a great job of avoiding T’s on that horrible call. There was also a ball off URI that he called in our favor so he was lousy both ways.

Illegal screens and offensive fouls count in the books as turnovers. Not all TOs with our bigs are from passing or dribbling. Different solutions needed for different TOs.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Walker got called for an illegal screen foul late second half that he vehemently disagreed with and was talking about it to himself and the ref for a minute or two after. I couldn’t see what he did wrong and I was watching the play close by.

The Ref who was doing all the fancy stretching by the scorers table before the game and clearly is a fitness fanatic made a few horrible calls. One was an offensive foul on Mitchell late right in front of the URI bench. Cox and staff did a great job of avoiding T’s on that horrible call. There was also a ball off URI that he called in our favor so he was lousy both ways.

Illegal screens and offensive fouls count in the books as turnovers. Not all TOs with our bigs are from passing or dribbling. Different solutions needed for different TOs.
I thought the Walker call was right. He kinda dug his shoulder into the player and moved his feet a little. Some other awful calls though.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Walker got called for an illegal screen foul late second half that he vehemently disagreed with and was talking about it to himself and the ref for a minute or two after. I couldn’t see what he did wrong and I was watching the play close by.

The fouls on the bigs setting picks have been a problem for a while. If you remember, J.Harris used to get it called on him a lot too. Sometimes, that can be the guard's fault. Whatever the case, it needs to be corrected.......by the coach.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I thought the Walker call was right. He kinda dug his shoulder into the player and moved his feet a little. Some other awful calls though.
Do you agree on the Michell call? And did the Rhody bench do well to control itself? I thought the Ref was ready to Tee us up. Harvard fans were wanting a Tee called.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

The fouls on the bigs setting picks have been a problem for a while. If you remember, J.Harris used to get it called on him a lot too. Sometimes, that can be the guard's fault. Whatever the case, it needs to be corrected.......by the coach.
We do it a lot but I also see it called a lot on other teams too. Saw one called late in the PC game last night on Texas Tech that seemed invisible to me.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s the ultimate make up call tool for refs. The illegal screen, like holding in football, could be called on almost every play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hate the call for that reason. Players themselves seem bewildered a lot. Not just the fans.

And I don’t understand what it counts as both a foul AND a turnover. But I digress.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Do you agree on the Michell call? And did the Rhody bench do well to control itself? I thought the Ref was ready to Tee us up. Harvard fans were wanting a Tee called.
I was right behind the bench and losing my mf mind, but I was def concerned about Cox getting T'd up. Refs certainly could have if they wanted to... my guess is he got a little more leeway because they thought they maybe blew the call.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Are you talking about his 5th foul??
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are you talking about his 5th foul??
Yes, how did it look to you Stevey?

Mitchell was beside himself and so was the entire Rhody bench.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don't know Ramster, Mitchell's 5th foul sure looked like a push-off on the replay. At least the view I saw.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My problem with that Mitchell foul was they literally called a defensive foul on Leggett for the say exact thing about a minute earlier. So inconsistent. The Leggett foul should have been offensive or a no call.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Oh yes, I remember the Leggett foul. Good point.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

8A98714F-1D8B-45FB-B890-4B930A2A04EF.gif
I attempted to make a gif showing the play. I think you have to click it to make it work though. Anyways, it looks like a foul to me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know Ramster, Mitchell's 5th foul sure looked like a push-off on the replay. At least the view I saw.
Agree. Seemed pretty clearly a foul on replay...first run through live, no...on replay, yeah
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know Ramster, Mitchell's 5th foul sure looked like a push-off on the replay. At least the view I saw.
Agree. Seemed pretty clearly a foul on replay...first run through live, no...on replay, yeah
On replay it has as bad look, but at the same time the ball was being passed in to him and the guy was on him. Couldn't a foul have been called before Mitchell tried to get clear of the guy?

Unrelated but that Chris Ledlum was a beast. He has 8 offensive rebounds to go with 5 defensive but his toughness was amazing. Similar to Langevine but not as tall.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I hate the call for that reason. Players themselves seem bewildered a lot. Not just the fans.

And I don’t understand what it counts as both a foul AND a turnover. But I digress.
It's a turnover if they don't get a shot attempt in any possession.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I hate the call for that reason. Players themselves seem bewildered a lot. Not just the fans.

Yes. An offensive foul counts as a turnover. But a regular foul does not count as a turnover. Seems like it's double counting to me.

People see turnovers as traveling, a bad pass, losing the ball to a steal. But if commit an offensive foul by running into a guy or I get called for an illegal screen I get called for a foul but not only do I get a foul but I get charged for a Turnover as well. Never has made sense to me and never will.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Yes. An offensive foul counts as a turnover. But a regular foul does not count as a turnover. Seems like it's double counting to me.

People see turnovers as traveling, a bad pass, losing the ball to a steal. But if commit an offensive foul by running into a guy or I get called for an illegal screen I get called for a foul but not only do I get a foul but I get charged for a Turnover as well. Never has made sense to me and never will.
Because when you get an offensive foul, you are quite literally turning the ball over to the other team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago

Because when you get an offensive foul, you are quite literally turning the ball over to the other team.
Is scoring a turnover?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Just so I get this straight...

1) If you jump out to a big lead and then the other team comes back to narrow, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them play 40 minutes. They made adjustments, we didn't.)
2) If you fall behind big early and then come back only to lose close game, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them ready to play. How come they didn't do such-n-such earlier or play so-n-so earlier.)
3) If you play nip-and-tuck close the whole game, then that's a complaint. (How come we can't put teams away...we let them hang around. We should beat this team by 20.)

Statements I don't see a lot on this board...
1) We came out strong early, coach had them ready to play.
2) I like the way the team fought back as the game wore on even though they were clearly struggling early.
3) Credit to the other team and their players...they played hard and played well.
4) How come it's OK for URI to upset another team (Kansas, Syracuse) but it's not OK for other teams to upset URI?

Questions I see a lot...
1) How come we can't beat anybody good?
2) How come we don't blow out enough bad teams?
3) How can team X beat URI? We have so much more talent.

Guys...this is competitive sports! Woulda/shoulda/coulda means nothing. This is not easy. If it was as easy and predictable as we'd like it to be, then we wouldn't watch. We'd already know the outcomes. (Did I see where Ohio State beat Duke?)

I just enjoy watching college hoops and enjoy my teams...win, that's great. And if they lose, they lose. Not so great. We can get frustrated, just like I get frustrated with my kids. But we press on...
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago 8A98714F-1D8B-45FB-B890-4B930A2A04EF.gif

I attempted to make a gif showing the play. I think you have to click it to make it work though. Anyways, it looks like a foul to me
I mean technically it's a foul. But I bet 9 times out of 10 across all levels of CBB that is NOT called. There is always a battle for the ball when there is tight defense. And also not necessarily a push off. You lunge one way you need to counter weight the other way to maintain balance.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Just so I get this straight...

1) If you jump out to a big lead and then the other team comes back to narrow, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them play 40 minutes. They made adjustments, we didn't.)
2) If you fall behind big early and then come back only to lose close game, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them ready to play. How come they didn't do such-n-such earlier or play so-n-so earlier.)
3) If you play nip-and-tuck close the whole game, then that's a complaint. (How come we can't put teams away...we let them hang around. We should beat this team by 20.)

2) I like the way the team fought back as the game wore on even though they were clearly struggling early.
3) Credit to the other team and their players...they played hard and played well.
4) How come it's OK for URI to upset another team (Kansas, Syracuse) but it's not OK for other teams to upset URI?

Questions I see a lot...

Guys...this is competitive sports! Woulda/shoulda/coulda means nothing. This is not easy. If it was as easy and predictable as we'd like it to be, then we wouldn't watch. We'd already know the outcomes. (Did I see where Ohio State beat Duke?)

I just enjoy watching college hoops and enjoy my teams...win, that's great. And if they lose, they lose. Not so great. We can get frustrated, just like I get frustrated with my kids. But we press on...
Best post I’ve read in 2021. Hands down.

Nice to meet you, sir.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Questions I see a lot...

You get a round of applause for this comment! You absolutely nailed it! People forget these are young adults borderline kids playing a highly competitive emotional game. Mistakes happen it's not like we have a bunch of 4 & 5 star recruits on this team. And the ones we have didn't live up to there hype at there first school. You can't coach a kid to be perfect. Are there moments that make you want to pull your hair out and scream? Absolutely! But this gloom and doom BS doesn't accomplish anything!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

On replay it has as bad look, but at the same time the ball was being passed in to him and the guy was on him. Couldn't a foul have been called before Mitchell tried to get clear of the guy?

Unrelated but that Chris Ledlum was a beast. He has 8 offensive rebounds to go with 5 defensive but his toughness was amazing. Similar to Langevine but not as tall.
After watching the replay it looked like Mitchell pushed off with his arm I thought it was a good call
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

I mean technically it's a foul. But I bet 9 times out of 10 across all levels of CBB that is NOT called. There is always a battle for the ball when there is tight defense. And also not necessarily a push off. You lunge one way you need to counter weight the other way to maintain balance.
Yep.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

Yep.
Ehhh, I can’t entirely agree with that. Pushing off his chest a little bit is acceptable. His elbow is high and his forearm looks to be pushing off his neck and his face. That can’t happen at any level. Every ref will call that.. Harvard friends of mine thought Makhi should get a tech since it looked like his elbow hit the guys face. I didn’t agree with them. It happened to suck since it was his 5th foul and he was simply trying to get position… If roles were reversed I would be furious if we didn’t get that call
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

That's exactly what I saw live, ramster. The defender was all over Mitchell prior to this and probably fouled him two or three times.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

That's exactly what I saw live, ramster. The defender was all over Mitchell prior to this and probably fouled him two or three times.
Seeing it live myself that is the way I saw it, how Mitchell saw it and how the URI bench saw it. Guy was all over Mitchell first, and then the Mitchell retaliation. Harvard fans around me were wanting Cox and/or Mitchell to get a Technical but I was glad they didn't call one.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Seeing it live myself that is the way I saw it, how Mitchell saw it and how the URI bench saw it. Guy was all over Mitchell first, and then the Mitchell retaliation. Harvard fans around me were wanting Cox and/or Mitchell to get a Technical, but I was glad they didn't call one.
He was without question all over Makhi when he tried to get a position. They were both battling and the ref didn't blow the whistle...They probably should have called a foul before Makhi got the ball…But we’ve seen that a million times before. A player fouled gets a no call and then gets aggravated and retaliates, and he ends up being called for a foul. Sucks but that’s what happened here.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Questions I see a lot...

Is this intentionally obtuse?

Any issues that fans have had with the coach and direction of this team comes from 3+ seasons and almost 100 games of similar type issues. Specifically after watching the previous coach rebuild this same program into one of a championship caliber.

Correct, a lot of people would be in the wrong if one week of basketball made them jump down the coach's throat...but it's not. It's been 3+ seasons with disappointing results and a downward trend towards mediocrity/irrelevancy. Now some posters are taking offense to the fact that a large amount of posters are pointing out these common themes, yet are using a below average schedule as a way to refute these concerns.

1) If you jump out to a big lead and then the other team comes back to narrow, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them play 40 minutes. They made adjustments, we didn't.) Yes. When in the same week you blow 3 late 2nd half leads to equal or lesser competition (losing 2, effectively ending your slim hopes for an at-large bid), and can point to a common theme of similar issues from the first 3 years...yeah it's an issue. Because that means you will lose those games against better teams, and if you want to go to the NCAA (that's still the "bar" right?) you will need to win those games against better teams.

Also, when the coach ADMITS in press conferences that we/he didn't have answers for certain adjustments (UMass, FGCU), or when the stats show our team getting beat out of TO's, yeah.. complaint.

2) If you fall behind big early and then come back only to lose close game, then that's a complaint. (Coach didn't have them ready to play. How come they didn't do such-n-such earlier or play so-n-so earlier.) Again, context. When did this happen? Was it a game we were getting outclassed and they brought in scrubs? Certainly didn't happen this year as both losses were from blown leads...so that must mean you understand that we're talking about issues that stretch further back than the last month of basketball. That said, I can remember a hell of a lot more blown leads than I can close loss comebacks. IN FACT, since I just had a meeting cancel I've got some time - so I just went and looked at how many "close losses" we've had under Dave Cox in the past 3 years where we came back to make it close from being down big.

Guess how many I found?
Davidson '19. Down by 8, went to OT, lost by 2.

Guess how many massive blown leads that turned into losses I found?
Duquesne '18 - 19 points.
St Bona A10T '18 - 14 points.
Duquesne '20 - 15 points.
Dayton '20 - 10 points.
VCU '20 - 10 points.
Tulsa '21 - 7 points.
FGCU '21 - 14 points.

More importantly, that one Davidson example from 2 seasons ago that you're hanging your hat on? That was a game URI was favored against a Davidson team that was barely .500.

So the concern a lot of us have is that we blow leads against bad teams, (see above) it means we are concerned about our ability to win games that matter, which could get us to the NCAAT. The problem is, we've never even been in a position to blow a 2nd half lead against good teams, we just get blown out. When we played ranked teams we've lost by 18, 14, 27, 8, 11 - so this example you're putting out here just isn't anywhere near reality.

After digging into that bag of suck, and pointing out the massive ocean between your feelings and reality, I really don't feel like researching and refuting your other points. I'll just assume they follow the same pattern.

I did like that you pulled 2 examples from 33 and 23 years ago, and are somehow comparing URI blowing a 14 point lead to a Q4 team to an NCAA-caliber URI team beating top seeds...in the NCAA tournament.

Do you think any of us want to be this miserable? Because we don't. Everyone complaining here is a fan who doesn't know where else to share their feelings of destitution and helplessness except for on a message board where there are other people who care about the program equally as much as them.

Maybe those of us who've been around for good times (skinner/harrick), bad times (jerry d), mediocre times (baron), good times (hurley), and now mediocre times (cox)...just maybe know that this program is capable of being good and they're seeing a mountain of evidence that says this probably isn't the right guy to bring the good times back?

Every person on here who's not thrilled with the state of the program wants to be wrong about that. We would want nothing more than a win tomorrow, and a 23-2 finish to the season culminating in an A-10 title and NCAA birth. We've just all been around long enough to notice the dead canary in the coal mine, and don't think that's likely.

All of that said. Fuck PC. Go Rhody.
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

One of wordiest, whiniest replies I’ve seen. “Whoa is me” seems to be the mantra here.

So in other words, folks come here to have their feelings validated in shared pool of tears?

Sounds pretty grim.

So sure, fire the coach, get another, soak in another 3-4 years of SUCK, fire him…wash, rinse, repeat….got it.

Continuity in the A10 will take a little longer than 3-4 seasons in my opinion, but that’s just my stupid opinion. I think this regime will see at least 5 seasons unless he has another losing season. If he stays under 10 losses, clutch your pearls, he will be here another year.

I get it though Blueman, jokes aside, you are a passionate dude, our kinds will never relate, so it’s a baseless exercise to convince others to see things the way you do, just as it is for FD to convince you to see his.

Should divide this place into two parts

“The Eternal Optimists”

“Gloom & Doom”

Go Rhody!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago One of wordiest, whiniest replies I’ve seen. “Whoa is me” seems to be the mantra here.

So in other words, folks come here to have their feelings validated in shared pool of tears?

Sounds pretty grim.

So sure, fire the coach, get another, soak in another 3-4 years of SUCK, fire him…wash, rinse, repeat….got it.

Continuity in the A10 will take a little longer than 3-4 seasons in my opinion, but that’s just my stupid opinion. I think this regime will see at least 5 seasons unless he has another losing season. If he stays under 10 losses, clutch your pearls, he will be here another year.

I get it though Blueman, jokes aside, you are a passionate dude, our kinds will never relate, so it’s a baseless exercise to convince others to see things the way you do, just as it is for FD to convince you to see his.

“The Eternal Optimists”

“Gloom & Doom”

Go Rhody!
I don't agree there are two parts.

There is an in-between to me:

We must make the NCAA Tournament this year. If not Coach moves on. Now in 4th year of 5 year contract - no extensions or pay increases have been given

Only exception to that would be if we come very close to making the bubble. That would be first or 2nd 4 teams left out.

I'm sticking with my 25-6 prediction. The optimistic part. But the realistic part says we must make the Tournament or come within last 8 to miss.

I don't think trending in the right direction does it as some posters have mentioned in previous discussions.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago One of wordiest, whiniest replies I’ve seen. “Whoa is me” seems to be the mantra here.

Sounds pretty grim.

“The Eternal Optimists”

“Gloom & Doom”

Go Rhody!
"Words are hard to read, and because the facts inside them go against my personal feelings I'm going to dismiss them."

To your second point..yeah dude, that's literally what a message board is about. A cathartic release of feelings that you wouldn't put out to your everyday circle of relationships, shared with people who have a similar passion for a pastime like college basketball.

Your third point is the biggest problem - since you're "new" and are struggling to grasp this, that's not how it goes.

The goal is not to fire coaches every 4 years if you continue to hire the wrong coaches and suck. The goal at a program like URI: hire the right coach to build your program and win, he leaves because you're now good and he can go to a higher level program, find his replacement, continue the cycle.

Dayton, VCU, Xavier, Butler, Loyola are similar peer examples where this works. That's who we would like to be.

This weird fear you have about coaching changes is exactly how a coach like Jim Baron, who was the textbook definition of mediocrity, gets to coach here for 11 seasons, winning absolutely nothing. No ranked games, no A-10 titles, no NCAA births.

Continuity in any conference doesn't take more than 3-4 seasons. That's why coaches get fired at every level of college basketball. After 4 years, you know exactly what your coach is. Maybe 5 years if it's a total rebuild. The standard is 4 years across the sport.

As for the divide you see...dude, I promise you. I am an eternal optimist. I'm also pragmatic. I (and everyone older than me) have been around this program long enough to have seen this movie. So these posts are me trying to warn those like you what's coming.

It also might just be me trying to protect myself from fully buying back into this program knowing how close to death I will be if they pull me back in Michael Corleone style and then smash my heart and dick into 1000000 pieces in February like they have done most years since my balls dropped. So if that's the case, let me be and post these long things. It's saving a life.

That said, I love feeling anything for this program, so kicking PC's ass tomorrow would replace the miserable apathy I currently feel with hope and excitement. So GO RHODY indeed.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

So, you’re bi-polar, in that regard, got it, lol. Just kidding.

Nonetheless, not buying what you’re selling brother, and I’m pretty sure I’m older and lived a bit longer to understand how things work. Because you type lengthy paragraphs, that read very well (you are a great writer) doesn’t make the words any more or less factual. They are opinions, and last I checked, none of us are named Nostradamus.

But, vent your heart away, man, but, cheers to hoping I get to serve you that first spoonful of crow. Hahaha!

I recall a similar meltdown during Hurley’s 3rd year….he turned out OK. I think Cox will be too. Thorr does as well.

It’s cool to engage, and I plan to be at the PC game, so if there is a spot there where folks get together and shoot the shit, let me know when and where.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago So, you’re bi-polar, in that regard, got it, lol. Just kidding.

Nonetheless, not buying what you’re selling brother, and I’m pretty sure I’m older and lived a bit longer to understand how things work. Because you type lengthy paragraphs, that read very well (you are a great writer) doesn’t make the words any more or less factual. They are opinions, and last I checked, none of us are named Nostradamus.

But, vent your heart away, man, but, cheers to hoping I get to serve you that first spoonful of crow. Hahaha!

I recall a similar meltdown during Hurley’s 3rd year….he turned out OK. I think Cox will be too. Thorr does as well.

It’s cool to engage, and I plan to be at the PC game, so if there is a spot there where folks get together and shoot the shit, let me know when and where.
I mean the whole thing about blown leads and close losses - those are facts.

The rest are opinions, but I’ve got some decent context to fall back on.

If you’re older how do you not get the baron reference? I assumed the 91 was your birth year not graduation.

As a rule, I don’t go to the dunk for this game anymore. You think I’m bi-polar on here, you should see what that game looks like.

Or just ask the others who sit in 205. They’ll give you an idea.

That said, beers with Rhody fans is always a solid past time. In Brooklyn I’ll be somewhere between McMahons and Pacos (roccos). Beers for sure.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago So, you’re bi-polar, in that regard, got it, lol. Just kidding.

Nonetheless, not buying what you're selling brother, and I'm pretty sure I'm older and lived a bit longer to understand how things work. Because you type lengthy paragraphs, that read very well (you are a great writer) doesn't make the words any more or less factual. They are opinions, and last I checked, none of us are named Nostradamus.

I recall a similar meltdown during Hurley's 3rd year….he turned out OK. I think Cox will be too. Thorr does as well.

It's cool to engage, and I plan to be at the PC game, so if there is a spot there where folks get together and shoot the shit, let me know when and where.
I think most of the meltdown was after Hurley lost to Fordham. Which honestly, I agree with it. It was a massive loss on a season with high expectations. Blueman kept supporting Dan through his ups and downs. He was right about Dan. I have a feeling he's right about Cox.

Is it odd that DC Rams "left", and we instantly have a "new" optimistic poster like this?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Sounds pretty grim.

“The Eternal Optimists”

“Gloom & Doom”

Go Rhody!
I don't agree there are two parts.

There is an in-between to me:

We must make the NCAA Tournament this year. If not Coach moves on. Now in 4th year of 5 year contract - no extensions or pay increases have been given

Only exception to that would be if we come very close to making the bubble. That would be first or 2nd 4 teams left out.

I'm sticking with my 25-6 prediction. The optimistic part. But the realistic part says we must make the Tournament or come within last 8 to miss.

I don't think trending in the right direction does it as some posters have mentioned in previous discussions.
I agree with this completely. This is where I"m at as well. Make the tournament or come extremely close.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

My sort of counter to the "well we won, can't you just be happy with that?" crowd is that we're *barely* winning a bunch of these games. Typically, the mark of a good to great team isn't that they win close games - It's that they turn close games into big wins or blowouts, which takes away the "danger" of a couple bad calls against you, or a couple of bad bounces at the end of a game that swing a win to a loss.

If you look at the two Hurley NCAA years, we were roughly +8 PPG at the end of the year. We're at a similar margin this year (+10)... But that's mostly due to big wins against Bryant and Georgia State, and at least via Basketball Reference's Strength of Schedule metric, ours rates at -0.51 this year, vs. 4.61 and 4.62 for the Hurley years. I would feel more comfortable with the idea that URI had turned the corner with Cox as coach if our schedule was better, or, if we were beating *every* team like we handled Bryant and Georgia State.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Nonetheless, not buying what you're selling brother, and I'm pretty sure I'm older and lived a bit longer to understand how things work. Because you type lengthy paragraphs, that read very well (you are a great writer) doesn't make the words any more or less factual. They are opinions, and last I checked, none of us are named Nostradamus.

I recall a similar meltdown during Hurley's 3rd year….he turned out OK. I think Cox will be too. Thorr does as well.

It's cool to engage, and I plan to be at the PC game, so if there is a spot there where folks get together and shoot the shit, let me know when and where.
I think most of the meltdown was after Hurley lost to Fordham. Which honestly, I agree with it. It was a massive loss on a season with high expectations. Blueman kept supporting Dan through his ups and downs. He was right about Dan. I have a feeling he's right about Cox.

Is it odd that DC Rams "left", and we instantly have a "new" optimistic poster like this?
I’m not quite of DC’s ilk, but I’m reserved.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Would LOVE the mods to confirm that.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I'm not quite of DC's ilk, but I'm reserved.
I apologize if you're not DC. Oddly, DC said he was leaving the board, and you instantly come on and have been posting a lot.. I guess it's a coincidence???
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I'm not quite of DC's ilk, but I'm reserved.
I apologize if you're not DC. Oddly, DC said he was leaving the board, and you instantly come on and have been posting a lot.. I guess it's a coincidence???
For someone “new” he’s got a decent amount of insight into recruiting. Like DC.

Also randomly has referenced DC in some posts that didn’t really require a reference.

This is phenomenal. Mods any easy connection here with his logins?

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Would LOVE the mods to confirm that.
ATP is the only one with IP lookup privileges, I believe. (Or, I'm too stupid to find them.)

ETA: Oh wait, I found them.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

WTF
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Suspended handed out, length TBD. Since I don't really want this game thread to devolve into victory laps / drama, please keep discussion focused on the Harvard game result. Thanks.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Suspended handed out, length TBD. Since I don't really want this game thread to devolve into victory laps / drama, please keep discussion focused on the Harvard game result. Thanks.
Good call. I might be bipolar in how I root for my team. But I’ve never been that pathetic. Woof.

Thanks SG.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Suspended handed out, length TBD. Since I don't really want this game thread to devolve into victory laps / drama, please keep discussion focused on the Harvard game result. Thanks.
Live footage of Blue Man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Mercy.'
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Sounds good. Let's Beat PC!!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Good call. I might be bipolar in how I root for my team. But I’ve never been that pathetic. Woof.

Thanks SG.
Look out for my alter ego "Crane Kick" coming soon.
'No Mercy.'