David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Archie isn't coming here and even if he did, it wouldn't be for long.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Mongo wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

You are missing the point here, his lack of fire carries over to his teams and dictates how his teams play. He is not a Head Coach, he is not good at building a program. You can’t compare him to quiet coaching legends, he is a great recruiter and assistant, some people are not meant to run a program.
No, you are missing the point. You can't prove causation between a coach's supposed "lack of fire" and the team. How do you explain Tony Bennett, Tom Penders, and Al Skinner who had/have their teams play hard and tough. Did those teams lack fire?

Forget your nonsense about the coach's fire. Find a coach that can coach, teach, develop, and win. Trust me, you won't care what his coaching personality and demeanor is like.
Nooooo you are missing the point as usual. He’s a trash head coach, end of story. Mike Moten was a garbage center too.
Mongo...I get that point, he's not a good head coach. But as I said, make the case using basketball as the basis of your argument (poor in-game strategy, poor player development, usage of timeouts, roster construction, etc.) Your "lack of fire...need more emotion" nonsense has nothing to do with making a good coach or not. That's the point.

The only reason you put up with Hurley's bench antics is because they won. Trust me, if URI won big with a calmer guy like Bennett or Belein, you'd be fine with that too.

(And Mike Moten is gonna come to your house and kick your butt. You don't insult URI's greatest center like that!)
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Archie isn't coming here and even if he did, it wouldn't be for long.
It would not be for long is a first world problem.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Section104 wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller 2022!
This would be a game changer
Let's start the Go Fund Me campaign right now.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Remember when Bozeman was going to make a difference. Guess the assistant coaching isn’t the issue.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No, you are missing the point. You can't prove causation between a coach's supposed "lack of fire" and the team. How do you explain Tony Bennett, Tom Penders, and Al Skinner who had/have their teams play hard and tough. Did those teams lack fire?

Forget your nonsense about the coach's fire. Find a coach that can coach, teach, develop, and win. Trust me, you won't care what his coaching personality and demeanor is like.
Nooooo you are missing the point as usual. He’s a trash head coach, end of story. Mike Moten was a garbage center too.
Mongo...I get that point, he's not a good head coach. But as I said, make the case using basketball as the basis of your argument (poor in-game strategy, poor player development, usage of timeouts, roster construction, etc.) Your "lack of fire...need more emotion" nonsense has nothing to do with making a good coach or not. That's the point.

The only reason you put up with Hurley's bench antics is because they won. Trust me, if URI won big with a calmer guy like Bennett or Belein, you'd be fine with that too.

(And Mike Moten is gonna come to your house and kick your butt. You don't insult URI's greatest center like that!)
I think you’re more right than not that coaching is about technical proficiencies and deficiencies but you can’t just dismiss the impact of vibes outright. Whether the coach is a primadonna or a pensioner, really good teams almost always have good vibes. I don’t think it has much to do with yelling or not yelling, but it is inarguable that Dan’s program had off the charts vibes and Cox’s just doesn’t. You can say that the vibes follow the winning but honestly I think Dan was just electric; any of Cox’s teams probably would have blown out Dan’s first couple of teams here if they played but the feeling around the program was much better for Dan’s early teams because he brought a sense of competence and energy that made it feel like the program was ascending and not descending.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Archie isn't coming here and even if he did, it wouldn't be for long.
How do you know that?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

I think you’re more right than not that coaching is about technical proficiencies and deficiencies but you can’t just dismiss the impact of vibes outright. Whether the coach is a primadonna or a pensioner, really good teams almost always have good vibes. I don’t think it has much to do with yelling or not yelling, but it is unarguable that Dan’s program had off the charts vibes and Cox’s just doesn’t. You can say that the vibes follow the winning but honestly I think Dan was just electric; any of Cox’s teams probably would have blown out Dan’s first couple of teams here if they played but the feeling around the program was much better for Dan’s early teams because he brought a sense of competence and energy that made it feel like the program was ascending and not descending.
EXACTLY
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I think you’re more right than not that coaching is about technical proficiencies and deficiencies but you can’t just dismiss the impact of vibes outright. Whether the coach is a primadonna or a pensioner, really good teams almost always have good vibes. I don’t think it has much to do with yelling or not yelling, but it is unarguable that Dan’s program had off the charts vibes and Cox’s just doesn’t. You can say that the vibes follow the winning but honestly I think Dan was just electric; any of Cox’s teams probably would have blown out Dan’s first couple of teams here if they played but the feeling around the program was much better for Dan’s early teams because he brought a sense of competence and energy that made it feel like the program was ascending and not descending.
EXACTLY
Vibes = Culture (an overused, cliched word but used a lot today)

So we can agree that we're not seeing the culture from URI basketball that we want. From coaches to players...that means lack of accountability, lack of leadership, lack of true togetherness, lack of direction.

We're an agreement on this. I think people are taking their eye off the ball (or don't know how to articulate what they want from a coach) if they're talking about wanting some fiery, tantrum throwing coach on the sideline. Every program should want a coach with a vision for his program and keep everything centered around that vision. Right now, Cox's vision is extremely blurry. And that spells major trouble.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’m probably talking myself into Archie with this post but, not only do I think Miller would come here, I think it could be a long term match for both URI and Miller. Archie secured a $10.3M buyout from IU at the time of his firing so he doesn’t need to chase a P5 pay day. Additionally, both Archie and his brother were unceremoniously fired at P5 schools, so I’m not sure the P5 gig holds the allure to Archie that it may to another coach, especially since he has already secured the bag.

I would liken this scenario to what we saw with Travis Ford going UMass>Ok State>St Louis. Seemingly up and coming coach parlays A10 success into a P5 gig, underwhelms at P5, returns to A10 and has success.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’m probably talking myself into Archie with this post but, not only do I think Miller would come here, I think it could be a long term match for both URI and Miller. Archie secured a $10.3M buyout from IU at the time of his firing so he doesn’t need to chase a P5 pay day. Additionally, both Archie and his brother were unceremoniously fired at P5 schools, so I’m not sure the P5 gig holds the allure to Archie that it may to another coach, especially since he has already secured the bag.

I would liken this scenario to what we saw with Travis Ford going UMass>Ok State>St Louis. Seemingly up and coming coach parlays A10 success into a P5 gig, underwhelms at P5, returns to A10 and has success.
See, now I like this post. Good thinking, good logic, and backed up with facts. That's how one makes a case. This is what a message board should offer. Well done!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’m probably talking myself into Archie with this post but, not only do I think Miller would come here, I think it could be a long term match for both URI and Miller. Archie secured a $10.3M buyout from IU at the time of his firing so he doesn’t need to chase a P5 pay day. Additionally, both Archie and his brother were unceremoniously fired at P5 schools, so I’m not sure the P5 gig holds the allure to Archie that it may to another coach, especially since he has already secured the bag.

Awesome. Ok, now do Rick>>>>> (please)
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am a firm believer in "you've got it or you don't" - like you know right away if someone is right for a job or whatever. Things may not be perfect, but you can see some type of something good or bad immediately.

You saw it with Hurley. We were losing close games with the rebuild, but there was just something there. Even with the Fordham loss - taking the whole team off the floor and teaching a lesson. You could tell.

I was in the camp that DC deserved the shot. No one could've anticipated the last 3+ years to have unfolded this way, but Cox paid his dues, earned his stripes, and it was worth giving him a shot. There's just no way to tell how someone handles the switch to the first chair until they get in it.

He's always been a great recruiter, mentor, role model, and assistant under some big name coaches. Good programs promote from within to keep their momentum.

Unfortunately, I think it was apparent to me the first PC game (Fatts 2-13, team 2-18 from 3), and you can see in some alcohol induced posts in that game thread that Cox may not have had the it factor to be the head coach. That was a game that we easily could've won with a few adjustments that never came.

The Brown loss in 2020 changed me. That's when I melted down about this program. I aimlessly walked around the East Side after that game, trying to make sense of my life and the program. That night was a funeral for me. I put a brave face on to try and convince myself that maybe things would turn around, but deep down I knew we were going downhill. That loss, and the Richmond loss that followed were when I had my meltdown, so I feel for everyone going through these emotions right now. I feel nothing because I already went through it.

The UMass loss last year without Tre Mitchell and subsequent press conference were the nails in the coffin for me. I feel nothing for this program right now and it's a shame.

There have been no improvements to every critique of this program since year 1. A lack of adjustments. Poor gameplanning - I mean our head coach sounded dumbfounded in the presser last night and had no answers for a Q4 opponent that made a switch to zone. Like the most basic of adjustments that a basketball coach could possibly face in a game, and we just can't adjust.

One player killing you on offense - maybe switch defenders? Make adjustments yourself?

This team has talent. I stand by that. I thought we had talent last year too. Players aren't being put in spots to be successful. Too much of a premium is being put on "positionless athletes" and not enough on "basketball players" when building a roster here.

We have such a unique advantage of having a legitimate frontcourt with the Mitchell twins, and we're squandering it because we don't subscribe to playing team basketball and having a true point guard. We want a team full of positionless athletes, and this is what we've got. Like watching pickup ball with a bunch of athletic freaks.

Seen this movie before where you just roll the balls out and play...the star had a much bigger mustache, but the results were largely the same. At least in that movie we blew out the bad teams and game just short against the good ones. Thankfully we're losing to the bad teams now so we won't have to wonder if we're going to start a coaching search next year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EXACTLY

So we can agree that we're not seeing the culture from URI basketball that we want. From coaches to players...that means lack of accountability, lack of leadership, lack of true togetherness, lack of direction.

We're an agreement on this. I think people are taking their eye off the ball (or don't know how to articulate what they want from a coach) if they're talking about wanting some fiery, tantrum throwing coach on the sideline. Every program should want a coach with a vision for his program and keep everything centered around that vision. Right now, Cox's vision is extremely blurry. And that spells major trouble.
I think that's the best articulation to date. The blurry vision. A lot of us ask "what are we" when it comes to this team, and "lacking identity" has been a common theme.

I loved Hurley's fire personally, because I'm an asshole and I connect to emotional tantrums like that. I understand when other people don't love it, but it was undeniable that this team had an identity - and it reflected it's coach. Tenacious, unrelenting defense. It was a clear vision carried out by the players.

We very clearly lack that, and have lacked it for 4 years.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know about his fire, I've seen him get emotional on the sidelines. I just don't think he's a good coach. Great guy. Bad coach.

Agreed!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nice guys [Cox] do indeed finish last.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I'd love to have this problem.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The David Cox contract 2018

Term: April 9, 2018 to April 8, 2023
Annual Base: $300,000
Annual Bonus: $225,000 guaranteed base of home gate receipts and more if goals exceeded
Annual Bonus: $125,000 appearances fee
Annual Radio Bonus: 25,000
Annual TV Bonus: $25,000
Annual Various Bonuses: varies for exceeding fundraising goal, player GPA average, player APR
Annual Club Membership: not to exceed $8,000
Annual Auto Expense: $12,000
Annual Postseason Bonus: various bonuses for A-10, NCAA & NIT team play/success and A-10 COY awards (Cox is yet to be eligible)
Termination: Years 1-3 - base plus more exit $ associated with bonuses would have been guaranteed. After year 3, only the annual base ($300k) of the contract is guaranteed

It is my understanding that Cox has not been extended since his hiring in April 2018. If so, his contract would have one year remaining at the conclusion of this season. Per the pdf copy of the contract that I had saved when it was made public, URI may only be on the hook to pay his base salary ($300k) for the remaining length of the contract. This would equate to one year at $300,000. That is not a large sum of money these days for terminating a men's basketball coach.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..if the bar for this program is “winning championships………..” then a change in coaching will be needed……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are always going to be a stepping stone....a ladder to the P5's.

How could it ever change?

A small state school cannot compete financially with the big boys.

There's simply not enough big donors to make up for the lack of state support.

And there's not, and won't be, enough TV money to pay for a much larger BB budget.

It's just a fact of life here.

We are going to have to find another shooting star who will bring success, if only for a short while.

The only way that could be different is we somehow hire another Jack Kraft type, a successful veteran coach who's looking to come here and stay until he retires. Kraft was doing that, but his health cut it short.

Hell, I'd take another Al Skinner, who at least got us to the show a couple times, and would have probably retired here if the school hadn't nickle and dimed him out the door.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I think it has been said that most ADs have a list of names in their pocket in case a coaching change is warranted……..I wonder who might be on Thor’s list……….?
Bozeman on an interim tag.

now you have 8/9 months to figure it out.
and to that end, how much gas does Thorr have left in tank??
I do think it's interesting wondering what Thorr's position is, though I don't think it's related to how much gas is left in the tank. Will the new president view him as someone that must be kept while he navigates D1 American athletics for the first time in a high level university position or does he want one of his own people in that spot? I'd lean toward the former, but you can never discount the latter
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The David Cox contract 2018

Annual Bonus: $225,000 guaranteed base of home gate receipts and more if goals exceeded
Annual Various Bonuses: varies for exceeding fundraising goal, player GPA average, player APR
Annual Postseason Bonus: various bonuses for A-10, NCAA & NIT team play/success and A-10 COY awards (Cox is yet to be eligible)
Termination: Years 1-3 - base plus more exit $ associated with bonuses would have been guaranteed. After year 3, only the annual base ($300k) of the contract is guaranteed
must be nice. :roll:
:lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, we're going to find out soon what the real "bar" is here at URI.

So far, a bunch of hollow talk from Thorr, and no action.

I'm sure there are people more than willing to pony up 300K to change the direction of this program.

I didn't know about the 4th year only guarantee of 300K.

No excuses.....get it done!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

EXACTLY

I think that's the best articulation to date. The blurry vision. A lot of us ask "what are we" when it comes to this team, and "lacking identity" has been a common theme.

I loved Hurley's fire personally, because I'm an asshole and I connect to emotional tantrums like that. I understand when other people don't love it, but it was undeniable that this team had an identity - and it reflected it's coach. Tenacious, unrelenting defense. It was a clear vision carried out by the players.

We very clearly lack that, and have lacked it for 4 years.
Well said by both of you. Even early this year there was talk about going back to a previous culture, but that culture was built and maintained by a different head coach. What identity does David Cox want his team to take on? And if it's just Dan Hurley's culture, does David Cox have the personality to build back to that culture and maintain it? Love or hate Hurley's tantrums, the fighting about everything helped the players see what Hurley wanted from the defense
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The David Cox contract 2018

must be nice. :roll:
Fair to say that everyone on this board could've brought exactly as many A-10 titles and NCAA appearances to this program for 1/2 the price :lol:

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This is what I said about Cox before he was hired when I offered names that should be under consideration:

"Top of the list:

David Cox: risky because he's never been a head coach, highest short term reward because he's most likely to keep the whole roster together. His experience says he's due for a head coach position."

Hiring Cox was not only defensible, it was probably the right move even if it didn't have the desired outcome. This wasn't the Jerry D hire which was a circus designed to keep one player who was already on the way out and it wasn't the Baron hire which was "what is the safest, most boring hire we can make" after the four years of Harrick and Jerry D. This was elevating a competent assistant coach who was a valuable member of the program that was very successful. Schools in our position make the type of hire all the time. Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make the right decision, and not have it work out. That's life.

I viewed him as one of the top 3 candidates at the time, really top 2 because Nate Oats was a pipe dream at that time, however after year 2 it should have been obvious that the risk hadn't paid off. We had a Baron style collapse to end the year with a stacked roster and we had twice the national average amount of transfers out of the program, so his supposed main strength of roster cohesion was actually a major weakness. After year two we knew that we didn't have what we hoped to, and unfortunately because of his lack of experience as a head coach before now, there was no history to draw on to assume that he could turn things around. After year 2 he should have been on the hot seat. Last year, after the 10th place finish in a 2 bid conference, especially after the UMass/Tre Mitchell debacle, we should have moved on. Now that he's here this year, only an NCAA appearance should save him and the odds of that are very low. Four years is plenty of time to make the tournament as a basketball coach with the type of program he inherited.

David Cox has been an excellent spokesperson and representative for our University and was a critically important part of our two NCAA tournaments under Hurley, but unfortunately he's just not the right person for the head coaching position here
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 105, we're going to find out soon what the real "bar" is here at URI.

So far, a bunch of hollow talk from Thorr, and no action.

I'm sure there are people more than willing to pony up 300K to change the direction of this program.

I didn't know about the 4th year only guarantee of 300K.

No excuses.....get it done!
Thorr has made at least 3 program changing hires - Dan, Tammi, Gareth, with Fleming trending upward of late. Cox was the right hire at the time and had earned the opportunity. Hindsight is always 20/20.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I am absolutely LOVING this thread! All my thoughts are finally materializing into a wonderful cascade of posts dedicated to getting rid of Cox.

I am so happy you people are finally coming around! Welcome to sanity!

Let me say this (again) I wouldnt care if we are stepping stone for a coach because that would mean we are SOMETHING. We are actually worse than bad right now - we are comfortably mediocre. A good win, a good loss, a bad win, a bad loss. It doesnt even matter. We are just going through the motions at this point. I mean how can anyone look at this program, knowing what DH left us, and think... "Cox is going to turn it around and do great things here". Its over.

There isn't even any excitement on the recruiting front anymore!! Chance "The Sniper" ? ... better reinforce the rafters for all the banners he's going to win us.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago I am absolutely LOVING this thread! All my thoughts are finally materializing into a wonderful cascade of posts dedicated to getting rid of Cox.

I am so happy you people are finally coming around! Welcome to sanity!

Let me say this (again) I wouldnt care if we are stepping stone for a coach because that would mean we are SOMETHING. We are actually worse than bad right now - we are comfortably mediocre. A good win, a good loss, a bad win, a bad loss. It doesnt even matter. We are just going through the motions at this point. I mean how can anyone look at this program, knowing what DH left us, and think... "Cox is going to turn it around and do great things here". Its over.

There isn't even any excitement on the recruiting front anymore!! Chance "The Sniper" ? ... better reinforce the rafters for all the banners he's going to win us.
I can't wait for another freshman to transfer because of Cox!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago As many posters above, I have been trying ti figure out what is going wrong with this team. One of several reasons that I have been a big Cox supporters is because I see him as a player's coach unlike most coaches today. The players don't live under a rock, they know his tenure as URI's coach is tenuous. How could the players undermine such a coach in his situation with their lackluster play as we have seen against Tulsa and FGCU? As previously posted, I really like all top 10 players on the roster.

I sense that the recruitment of EA was a breach of trust with the players. EA immediately became our best guard and that has effected the play and role of Ish, Shepp, Carey and Malik. Add into this the quality minutes being given to Thomas, and these key four players are no longer giving their best effort. Basketball is a future career for these players not a side sport they played in college. This is in no way a criticism of EA, but it is of Cox who failed to understand what recruiting EA would mean to his players. That is my take.
Add another one to your Hall of Fame of preposterous takes.
So bringing in a kid who seemingly does everything right and has tangible leadership qualities on a team that seems to lack that….is somehow the negative factor causing us to lose to bad teams ? Try again.
I'm not on board with the title of the thread, so I was just skimming this thread, but BAR is 100% right here. From the outside looking in.... EA seems like an absolutely awesome teammate. Great energy, shares the ball etc. In fact, I think the team could probably benefit from him being more selfish, but he is such a great teammate he creates for other guys instead. 72 couldn't be more wrong.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Players aren't transferring because of Cox. Players are transferring everywhere...from every program. Good programs, bad programs, and middle-of-the-road programs. Star players, star recruits, and bench guys. The reasons for it are numerous for every program and too numerous (and pointless) to go over. It's the college basketball world we live in...and you can't point the finger at David Cox if a URI player wants to transfer.

You can point the finger at him for failing at other things.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago As many posters above, I have been trying ti figure out what is going wrong with this team. One of several reasons that I have been a big Cox supporters is because I see him as a player's coach unlike most coaches today. The players don't live under a rock, they know his tenure as URI's coach is tenuous. How could the players undermine such a coach in his situation with their lackluster play as we have seen against Tulsa and FGCU? As previously posted, I really like all top 10 players on the roster.

I sense that the recruitment of EA was a breach of trust with the players. EA immediately became our best guard and that has effected the play and role of Ish, Shepp, Carey and Malik. Add into this the quality minutes being given to Thomas, and these key four players are no longer giving their best effort. Basketball is a future career for these players not a side sport they played in college. This is in no way a criticism of EA, but it is of Cox who failed to understand what recruiting EA would mean to his players. That is my take.
Add another one to your Hall of Fame of preposterous takes.
So bringing in a kid who seemingly does everything right and has tangible leadership qualities on a team that seems to lack that….is somehow the negative factor causing us to lose to bad teams ? Try again.
I'm not on board with the title of the thread, so I was just skimming this thread, but BAR is 100% right here. From the outside looking in.... EA seems like an absolutely awesome teammate. Great energy, shares the ball etc. In fact, I think the team could probably benefit from him being more selfish, but he is such a great teammate he creates for other guys instead. 72 couldn't be more wrong.

72 is a clueless idiot who knows less than nothing about basketball.

Delete this if you want, I Don’t care if personal insults are not allowed, his bullshit all over this board provides nothing of value.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Players aren't transferring because of Cox. Players are transferring everywhere...from every program. Good programs, bad programs, and middle-of-the-road programs. Star players, star recruits, and bench guys. The reasons for it are numerous for every program and too numerous (and pointless) to go over. It's the college basketball world we live in...and you can't point the finger at David Cox if a URI player wants to transfer.

You can point the finger if it's double the national average. By definition that is abnormal and shows an issue with the coach and program
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago This is what I said about Cox before he was hired when I offered names that should be under consideration:

"Top of the list:

David Cox: risky because he's never been a head coach, highest short term reward because he's most likely to keep the whole roster together. His experience says he's due for a head coach position."

Hiring Cox was not only defensible, it was probably the right move even if it didn't have the desired outcome. This wasn't the Jerry D hire which was a circus designed to keep one player who was already on the way out and it wasn't the Baron hire which was "what is the safest, most boring hire we can make" after the four years of Harrick and Jerry D. This was elevating a competent assistant coach who was a valuable member of the program that was very successful. Schools in our position make the type of hire all the time. Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make the right decision, and not have it work out. That's life.

I viewed him as one of the top 3 candidates at the time, really top 2 because Nate Oats was a pipe dream at that time, however after year 2 it should have been obvious that the risk hadn't paid off. We had a Baron style collapse to end the year with a stacked roster and we had twice the national average amount of transfers out of the program, so his supposed main strength of roster cohesion was actually a major weakness. After year two we knew that we didn't have what we hoped to, and unfortunately because of his lack of experience as a head coach before now, there was no history to draw on to assume that he could turn things around. After year 2 he should have been on the hot seat. Last year, after the 10th place finish in a 2 bid conference, especially after the UMass/Tre Mitchell debacle, we should have moved on. Now that he's here this year, only an NCAA appearance should save him and the odds of that are very low. Four years is plenty of time to make the tournament as a basketball coach with the type of program he inherited.

David Cox has been an excellent spokesperson and representative for our University and was a critically important part of our two NCAA tournaments under Hurley, but unfortunately he's just not the right person for the head coaching position here
*chef’s kiss*

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Players aren't transferring because of Cox. Players are transferring everywhere...from every program. Good programs, bad programs, and middle-of-the-road programs. Star players, star recruits, and bench guys. The reasons for it are numerous for every program and too numerous (and pointless) to go over. It's the college basketball world we live in...and you can't point the finger at David Cox if a URI player wants to transfer.

I agree we can't put all the blame on Cox for losing transfers, but the head coach has a LOT to do with players' decisions to stay or leave. Why did players remain to play for a small program like St. Bonaventure when they could go to a high major in a heartbeat? Why did Richmond get all their keys guys back? VCU? Drake? Loyola? Iona? I could be wrong, but they didn't lose key rotation pieces to transfers, did they? Do you think coaching has something to do with that? I do.

I agree we see more transfers than ever, but saying NONE of our transfers have left because of Cox is ridiculous. We were losing players before the NCAA was handing out waivers like candy. Long and Martin come to mind, but it may have been more.

I genuinely believe that when we have a head coach and a program that is consistently near the top of the A10 and landing bids, we will keep most, if not all, of our key players.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT
BAIT
COX
SUX
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You want to talk about coaching and attitude?

UConn was down 11 after an 8-0 run. Hurley calls time out. UConn comes out firing, goes on 11-0 run, and outscored Auburn by 11 the rest of the half.

From down 11 to up 11 in under 10 mins.

You ever seen this team come out on fire after a Cox TO?

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I am a firm believer in "you've got it or you don't" - like you know right away if someone is right for a job or whatever. Things may not be perfect, but you can see some type of something good or bad immediately.

You saw it with Hurley. We were losing close games with the rebuild, but there was just something there. Even with the Fordham loss - taking the whole team off the floor and teaching a lesson. You could tell.

I was in the camp that DC deserved the shot. No one could've anticipated the last 3+ years to have unfolded this way, but Cox paid his dues, earned his stripes, and it was worth giving him a shot. There's just no way to tell how someone handles the switch to the first chair until they get in it.

He's always been a great recruiter, mentor, role model, and assistant under some big name coaches. Good programs promote from within to keep their momentum.

Unfortunately, I think it was apparent to me the first PC game (Fatts 2-13, team 2-18 from 3), and you can see in some alcohol induced posts in that game thread that Cox may not have had the it factor to be the head coach. That was a game that we easily could've won with a few adjustments that never came.

The Brown loss in 2020 changed me. That's when I melted down about this program. I aimlessly walked around the East Side after that game, trying to make sense of my life and the program. That night was a funeral for me. I put a brave face on to try and convince myself that maybe things would turn around, but deep down I knew we were going downhill. That loss, and the Richmond loss that followed were when I had my meltdown, so I feel for everyone going through these emotions right now. I feel nothing because I already went through it.

The UMass loss last year without Tre Mitchell and subsequent press conference were the nails in the coffin for me. I feel nothing for this program right now and it's a shame.

There have been no improvements to every critique of this program since year 1. A lack of adjustments. Poor gameplanning - I mean our head coach sounded dumbfounded in the presser last night and had no answers for a Q4 opponent that made a switch to zone. Like the most basic of adjustments that a basketball coach could possibly face in a game, and we just can't adjust.

One player killing you on offense - maybe switch defenders? Make adjustments yourself?

This team has talent. I stand by that. I thought we had talent last year too. Players aren't being put in spots to be successful. Too much of a premium is being put on "positionless athletes" and not enough on "basketball players" when building a roster here.

We have such a unique advantage of having a legitimate frontcourt with the Mitchell twins, and we're squandering it because we don't subscribe to playing team basketball and having a true point guard. We want a team full of positionless athletes, and this is what we've got. Like watching pickup ball with a bunch of athletic freaks.

Seen this movie before where you just roll the balls out and play...the star had a much bigger mustache, but the results were largely the same. At least in that movie we blew out the bad teams and game just short against the good ones. Thankfully we're losing to the bad teams now so we won't have to wonder if we're going to start a coaching search next year.
I agree with all of this - and you and I had basically the same reaction to the Brown/Richmond double debacle both in terms of immediate meltdown and how it shifted our long term view of what was going on with this program. The only thing I’d take a slight exception to is the bolded - unless you meant nobody could see the impact that covid and the change to the transfer rules would have, then I’d agree. But in terms of the program being where it is after this span of time, I think this was totally within the range of outcomes I could have envisioned when I was advocating to hire him. The upside was there to make it worth the shot. I’ll never change my mind about that. Sometimes when you knowingly take a risk it doesn’t work out. Thats how it works. No regrets. I also think we shouldn’t overlearn any lessons from this and we should make the upside play again whenever the time comes.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I am a firm believer in "you've got it or you don't" - like you know right away if someone is right for a job or whatever. Things may not be perfect, but you can see some type of something good or bad immediately.

I agree with all of this - and you and I had basically the same reaction to the Brown/Richmond double debacle both in terms of immediate meltdown and how it shifted our long term view of what was going on with this program. The only thing I’d take a slight exception to is the bolded - unless you meant nobody could see the impact that covid and the change to the transfer rules would have, then I’d agree. But in terms of the program being where it is after this span of time, I think this was totally within the range of outcomes I could have envisioned when I was advocating to hire him. The upside was there to make it worth the shot. I’ll never change my mind about that. Sometimes when you knowingly take a risk it doesn’t work out. Thats how it works. No regrets. I also think we shouldn’t overlearn any lessons from this and we should make the upside play again whenever the time comes.
Agreed - it was a memorable week for the worst reasons. You and I were pretty much having our own private funeral.

I am saying I never envisioned this as a possibility- otherwise I never would’ve so staunchly advocated for hiring Dave. Obviously yours is a much more measured and reasonable take - but that tends to follow our personalities haha.

I really thought Cox was going to be great. Better than Hurley because he could adjust and change in ways I didn’t think Dan could.

But hey. Been wrong before.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is a thread no fan base ever wants. But it is totally warranted. After last year's horrible showing, Cox gave us a pillow soft non con schedule this year. A schedule had we won out would not raise any eyebrows. We are 2 losses in on this, and don't think it ends in Tampa. But kudos to Thor, we have a coach with one year remaining on his contract. I think, if they don't catch lightening in a bottle next March and win the A10 to make the dance, Cox will be removed.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just got this e-mail. LMAO!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR EVENT

Hey Rhody fan, this is your head coach, David Cox. I wanted to take a moment to thank you for bringing your energy and passion for the team to our games at the Ryan Center so far. We are off to a great start and I know the guys really feed off the energy and we all appreciate your dedication to support Rhody Athletics. As we head into this next game we need EVERYONE including you to bring their energy to the building! Help us #BRINGTHERUCKUS and PROTECT OUR HOUSE vs Georgia State! GO RHODY!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago This is a thread no fan base ever wants. But it is totally warranted. After last year's horrible showing, Cox gave us a pillow soft non con schedule this year. A schedule had we won out would not raise any eyebrows. We are 2 losses in on this, and don't think it ends in Tampa. But kudos to Thor, we have a coach with one year remaining on his contract. I think, if they don't catch lightening in a bottle next March and win the A10 to make the dance, Cox will be removed.
No way cox sees the end of his contract.

That just cannot happen.
:lol:
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I agree we can't put all the blame on Cox for losing transfers, but the head coach has a LOT to do with players' decisions to stay or leave. Why did players remain to play for a small program like St. Bonaventure when they could go to a high major in a heartbeat? Why did Richmond get all their keys guys back? VCU? Drake? Loyola? Iona? I could be wrong, but they didn't lose key rotation pieces to transfers, did they? Do you think coaching has something to do with that? I do.

I agree we see more transfers than ever, but saying NONE of our transfers have left because of Cox is ridiculous. We were losing players before the NCAA was handing out waivers like candy. Long and Martin come to mind, but it may have been more.

I genuinely believe that when we have a head coach and a program that is consistently near the top of the A10 and landing bids, we will keep most, if not all, of our key players.
Richmond has had issues with transfers. Michigan State lost a whole bunch of players, one at Davidson right now. Loyola has a transfer at Brown. Brown had guys transfer out. (Desmond Cambridge at Nevada now.) Gonzaga's point guard Andrew Nembhard started and was successful at Florida. Illinois' Adam Miller started as a freshman last year on a top-seeded team and then transferred out to LSU (where he just tore his ACL).

Every kid thinks they're a lottery pick and everybody in their ear says the coach is holding them back...or their teammates are holding them back.

I didn't say none have left because of Cox. He can be part of the reason, sure. But kids are transferring for all types of reasons all the time. Sometimes it can be 100% about the coach, or 10% about the coach...or 0% about the coach. Most of the time, we have no idea what makes these kids tick. It's ridiculous. Nobody knows anything about transfers. It's lunacy.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

As painful as last night's loss was, I still feel the same as I did going into the season. If we are anything less than a bubble team, Cox should go. It's a long season, and who knows how it will pan out.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago As painful as last night's loss was, I still feel the same as I did going into the season. If we are anything less than a bubble team, Cox should go. It's a long season, and who knows how it will pan out.
Let me know when we get to bubble status. Methinks it's not going to happen.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago As painful as last night's loss was, I still feel the same as I did going into the season. If we are anything less than a bubble team, Cox should go. It's a long season, and who knows how it will pan out.
I on the other hand was crushed by that absolutely brutal second half of basketball. This team is going nowhere fast.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Just got this e-mail. LMAO!

Hey Rhody fan, this is your head coach, David Cox. I wanted to take a moment to thank you for bringing your energy and passion for the team to our games at the Ryan Center so far. We are off to a great start and I know the guys really feed off the energy and we all appreciate your dedication to support Rhody Athletics. As we head into this next game we need EVERYONE including you to bring their energy to the building! Help us #BRINGTHERUCKUS and PROTECT OUR HOUSE vs Georgia State! GO RHODY!
Define “great start” because a pair of Q3 and Q4 losses, combined with Q3/Q4 wins doesn’t match my definition.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I will never give up supporting or cheering on the athletes and coaches of the URI men's basketball team. Ever since I walked on campus in 1976, my allegiance has been with Keaney Blue. I totally agree that Cox is not getting the job done and it may make sense to cut bait sooner rather than later. I doubt it will happen in season. We all knew with this weak non conference schedule that an at large bid was probably not attainable. So let's get behind the team, cheer them on through their conference schedule and if they fall short then sorry goodbye coach cox.My wife and I will be at the next 12 home games rooting for our Rams like we have through thick and thin for decades.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even if we had won last night, we would be a very deceiving 5-1.

16-15. I'm sticking by my prediction...

It's going to get late real early.

The only way Cox gets let go in season, is if the wheels completely fall off, and even that's unlikely even if that happens.

As bad a coach as he is, he's not Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! [For you other old timers]
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Just got this e-mail. LMAO!

Define “great start” because a pair of Q3 and Q4 losses, combined with Q3/Q4 wins doesn’t match my definition.
Hence, my LMAO.