11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: 11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I don’t recall reading anything about the following in this thread, and I just remembered it now.
At one point on the broadcast, Stone mentioned that that 2018 Bryant vs URI game was the first game as head coach for both Grasso and Cox. He then mentioned that some refer to it as the Aris game. Nothing more needed to be said: I laughed out loud.
I was there that night and I just had to go back and watch his one minute of infamy.
I’ve said this before, but the person who referred to his name translated to the Greek god of fouls may have had the all time line in this forum.
LOL...the Aris game....nuff said
I forgot to add what might be the best part. DC took him out after he committed his fourth foul to avoid the potential embarrassment of fouling out in less than two minutes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I don’t recall reading anything about the following in this thread, and I just remembered it now.
At one point on the broadcast, Stone mentioned that that 2018 Bryant vs URI game was the first game as head coach for both Grasso and Cox. He then mentioned that some refer to it as the Aris game. Nothing more needed to be said: I laughed out loud.
I was there that night and I just had to go back and watch his one minute of infamy.
I’ve said this before, but the person who referred to his name translated to the Greek god of fouls may have had the all time line in this forum.
I forgot to add what might be the best part. DC took him out after he committed his fourth foul to avoid the potential embarrassment of fouling out in less than two minutes.
We like to blame the kid, and I get it, but what does it say about the Coaching Staff that brought him in? And I have seen some recruits “that got away” who I honestly couldn’t believe we were considering at the time Having seen them play. Not many, but a few.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

For those that want to re-live the Aris Tsourgiannis era, here you go....

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bryant is 223 in the KenPom rankings, which is solidly in quadrant 4, and they played without their best player. Great last ten minutes, but any assertion that Bryant was something other than a cupcake is laughable
So confusing....can you be a cupcake and a trap game at the same time?
This! Can we be happy we won!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

We like to blame the kid, and I get it, but what does it say about the Coaching Staff that brought him in? And I have seen some recruits “that got away” who I honestly couldn’t believe we were considering at the time Having seen them play. Not many, but a few.
That was a SuttOn recruit, IIRC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

That was a SuttOn recruit, IIRC.
I think you are right, but I’d also say the other coaches provide their impressions and the Head Coach has the ultimate say. This kid gets made fun of over the years here but the Coaching staff was missing in action with this. You could get much better players from the Mackal Fieldhouse any night of the week.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I heard that mentioned also I didn’t recall it was against Bryant

I just rewatched it lol Aris !!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My late observations of the Bryant Game:
  • Bryant players really came out fired up as did their Coaching Staff, especially Grasso. David Cox did a masterful job of sticking with his game plan which was to leverage his big men to take advantage of the URI Height and Physical Size advantage. Even when Bryant was shooting got very hot, Cox was steady and stuck with his game plan
  • At 18:20 of the 2nd half, David Cox pulled Sheppard and inserted Thomas. 2nd half had started 37-37 but Charles Pride hit a layup @ 19:32, then a 3P at 18:32 to make it 42-37. Sheppard was covering Pride but Cox made the quick change
  • At 12:53 A notable play was Makhel Mitchell had a big block on Erickson Bans, Ishmael Leggett got the rebound and made a beautiful fast break bounce pass to Ishmael El-Amin for a layup to put Rhody up 54-51.
  • At 12:17 Next big play was Thomas hitting a 3P assisted by El-Amin to put URI up 57-51
  • At 11:46 A Huge steal by Malik Martin, pass to Leggett who assisted to Makhel Mitchell to increase the lead to 59-51
  • After Pride hit 2 FTs, Malik Martin had a dunk attempt inside and got clobbered by Elisias Hall. Martin was down on the floor for a long time, pounding his fist into the floor multiple times. Scary how he went down. This is when Grasso lost much respect from me as he was complaining like it wasn't a foul. All 3 refs went to replay to see if it was a flagrant foul. They decided it was a Flagrant 1. Grasso went nuts after the Referee judgement. Martin was clearly shaken up, and like the tough kid he is Malik still went to the FT line not able to shoot well. Both his FTs were well off the target and he immediately came out obviously in pain. What a warrior he is - would make his warrior big brother proud! Meanwhile Grasso went nuts over the Flagrant Foul call. His behavior seemed to carry over to his players as they were complaining too
  • From 59-53 URI then got 2 Points from Walker, 3 points from Sheppard, 2 points from Leggett, 2 points from Malik Martin (yes he came back in), 2 points from Walker as URI rattled off 11 unanswered points to go up 70-53 David Cox and URI had been incensed by the foul on Martin. Cox and Grasso stared each other down at the time of the Foul but it was Cox who kept his cool and Grasso who lost his cool
  • Grasso's players tended to emulate Grasso's behavior while David Cox leadership showed control and confidence at the time of the Flagrant Foul on Martin.
  • Last few minutes of the game Grasso just sat on the bench and looked disinterested once the game got away

Great Coaching job by David Cox. Disappointing Coaching job by Grasso imho. and yes I am biased.
Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

I heard Cox and Grasso went at each other during this game. Anyone have a video or the story behind it? Count find it anywhere in this convo.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Parente07 wrote: 2 years ago I heard Cox and Grasso went at each other during this game. Anyone have a video or the story behind it? Count find it anywhere in this convo.
A couple of times.

Once Todd Bozeman had to walk Cox way over to the FT line by the URI Bench end of the court. Loved how Bozeman was holding Cox back.

Then when Malik Martin got clobbered on a breakaway Cox was not a happy camper. He had words with Grasso then from the end of their respective bench positions.
When the 3 Referees gathered to look at the replay they ruled a Flagrant 1 foul. Grasso went nuts. Strange because 3 referees reviewed the replay in slow motion and made the decision. Grasso looked like a dope going berserk after that judgement by the Refs. Cox was smiling at Grasso making him madder. I think Cox was saying you you nuts? Your guy almost very seriously hurt my guy and could have ended his career and you are complaining about a Flagrant 1 ruling?

Several posters and RI Media have talked up Grasso as being an up and comer. My impressions of him and his coaching style after that game is never would want him at Kingston. He is being way overrated. Last few minutes he just sat I. The bench and hardly watched the game. Like he just gave up. No up and coming Coach does that.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Are we really talking about Grasso’s sideline antics? Who was our last head coach here?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Our last coach would not have been throwing a fit when a player on the opposing team was seriously hurt
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Our last coach would not have been throwing a fit when a player on the opposing team was seriously hurt
Yup, Grasso made an absolute clown out of himself, throwing hissy fits for really no reason.

It screamed “look at me, look at me” and that was it.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Parente07 wrote: 2 years ago I heard Cox and Grasso went at each other during this game. Anyone have a video or the story behind it? Count find it anywhere in this convo.
A couple of times.

Once Todd Bozeman had to walk Cox way over to the FT line by the URI Bench end of the court. Loved how Bozeman was holding Cox back.

Then when Malik Martin got clobbered on a breakaway Cox was not a happy camper. He had words with Grasso then from the end of their respective bench positions.
When the 3 Referees gathered to look at the replay they ruled a Flagrant 1 foul. Grasso went nuts. Strange because 3 referees reviewed the replay in slow motion and made the decision. Grasso looked like a dope going berserk after that judgement by the Refs. Cox was smiling at Grasso making him madder. I think Cox was saying you you nuts? Your guy almost very seriously hurt my guy and could have ended his career and you are complaining about a Flagrant 1 ruling?

Several posters and RI Media have talked up Grasso as being an up and comer. My impressions of him and his coaching style after that game is never would want him at Kingston. He is being way overrated. Last few minutes he just sat I. The bench and hardly watched the game. Like he just gave up. No up and coming Coach does that.
Agree also Ramster I don’t think Grasso going to a better conference than what Bryant is in , he doesn’t impress me at all