Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just watched Celtics Knicks at MSG. No masks.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Just watched Celtics Knicks at MSG. No masks.
Because science.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..or maybe Maybelline…………😏
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

This whole mask mandate is lunacy.

I've been to 4 panther games (70k+) and the ONLY people wearing masks are employees and security (2k+). It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. If people feel they are at risk then wear a mask or stay home.

Let's go Brandon
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NC_Ram wrote: 2 years ago This whole mask mandate is lunacy.

I've been to 4 panther games (70k+) and the ONLY people wearing masks are employees and security (2k+). It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. If people feel they are at risk then wear a mask or stay home.

Let's go Brandon
Interesting that 'workers' need to wear masks, but not 'guests'.... Truly Brandon-esque science indeed.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 2 years ago This whole mask mandate is lunacy.

Let's go Brandon
Interesting that 'workers' need to wear masks, but not 'guests'.... Truly Brandon-esque science indeed.
Exactly! .... we've completely lost the bubble on who is protecting who. The owners and management are walking around without a mask yet every employee must wear one. Maybe we should ask that card carrying moron Fauci!

Let's go Brandon
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The infection rates have been falling for a while now, so the media has nothing to scare us about.

In CT now, many towns are dropping the mask mandate and making it optional....in other words, no one is wearing them except some elderly folks.

Vaccination rates are climbing too, boosters are being approved, and a second generation vaccine is being developed for the variants.

Got my booster 3 weeks ago, flu shot yesterday. Old you know.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The infection rates have been falling for a while now, so the media has nothing to scare us about.

In CT now, many towns are dropping the mask mandate and making it optional....in other words, no one is wearing them except some elderly folks.

Vaccination rates are climbing too, boosters are being approved, and a second generation vaccine is being developed for the variants.

Got my booster 3 weeks ago, flu shot yesterday. Old you know.
I can't see the mask mandate lasting all season. There's just no way.

People will be bitching (justifiably), many won't come because of masks, which leads to less revenue. Vaccines, boosters, cases dropping etc. If they were smart (that's a big if), they'd drop the mask mandate after the new year or somewhere around there.
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

It will not last all season....The pressure is already building!!!!!!!!!!!

If I understand the policy for BB games at Ryan Center...
Employed or student at URI no mask required so......
students
band
players
coaches
cheerleaders
Employees
Are not required to wear a mask but everyone else does!!!!!! Crazy
How about the other teams players and coaches are they required, the refs, the announces ect
This needs to end and end now!!!!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 2 years ago It will not last all season....The pressure is already building!!!!!!!!!!!

students
band
players
coaches
cheerleaders
Employees
How about the other teams players and coaches are they required, the refs, the announces ect
Buuuut Science!!!!!!!!!!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….once my seat, mask comes off……..to sip water/soda…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago It will not last all season....The pressure is already building!!!!!!!!!!!

students
band
players
coaches
cheerleaders
Employees
You don't understand the policy. All people are required to wear masks in state buildings, only the players seem to be exempt. All fans, including students and employees, will need to wear a mask. That's a mandate from Governor McKee, not a University policy
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Although I appreciate the feedback , I do not give a crap about UCONN or really about potentially lost renenue . My main concern is that the Dunk is optional and we are MAHDATORY , APPLES TO APPLES . Maybe they have more politicians amongst their fan base or maybe we have no B___S ?
You asked if any New England venues had a mask mandate, and someone pointed out that an on-campus, college basketball venue for a state flagship university 43 miles away in fact does have a mask mandate. It doesn't get more apples to apples than that.

If the complaint is about why the Ryan Center and not the Dunkin Donuts Center, ask Governor McKee why the Dunkin Donuts Center isn't considered a state building even though the state owns it and pays the bills. It's his executive order from August 12th that requires masks to be worn in state buildings, including the Ryan Center, yet somehow makes the Dunkin Donuts Center exempt
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Geez ... another moron towing the party line.

I'm glad the pilots at Southwest stood up to this nonsense. Mandate us and you won't fly another airplane! What a surprise .... they back down. Of course Clown News Network and the others drop it ad a story.

What hypocritical crap this stuff is .

Let's go Brandon
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Did I say if I was for or against a mask mandate? No. I'm just telling you the facts of where it's coming from. Don't want to have to wear a mask in the Ryan Center? Go call Governor McKee's office instead of typing let's go Brandon again
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

umm... the moron I was referring to was McKee not you

Let's go Brandon
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its like the sign in the bathroom at restaurants "Employees must wash hands" How about guests?
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

People are making this too political. Everyone knows that the reason the dunk doesn't require masks and why uri does and UConn does isn't because of state vs public vs private...it's all because of....

Wait for it...

Science!!!!

Right?
And if you can't understand the science in this (count me among those) it's a obvious to many...thatt you're just moron.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just got back from a nice birthday dinner at the Mews. No masks. My youngest daughter has to go to school and wear a mask tomorrow.. Tell you what, it's going to get sporty soon.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most bars and restaurants in RI and CT don't require masks...at least the ones I've been to....some places in CT are still spacing their customers out though.

Whatever the flavor of the month is.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

College Football across the country is playing to full stadiums with no masks
NFL Football is playing to full stadiums with no masks
Baseball is playing to full stadiums with no masks
Cruise lines are requiring vaccinations for passengers and a negative covid test within 2 days of boarding then not requiring masks at all on ships

I have been in the past two months to College Football, NFL Football, Baseball and took a cruise. No masks required.
Key is getting vaccinated

So much debate on mandatory vaccinations for some and mandatory masking in schools seems to dominate conversation - key is to get more and more people vaccinated.

As someone with both vaccinations plus the booster, I'll not go to the Ryan Center required to wear a mask.

So if science says I must wear a Mask in the Ryan Center I will watch on TV - and do so without wearing a mask.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago College Football across the country is playing to full stadiums with no masks
Cruise lines are requiring vaccinations for passengers and a negative covid test within 2 days of boarding then not requiring masks at all on ships

I have been in the past two months to College Football, NFL Football, Baseball and took a cruise. No masks required.

So much debate on mandatory vaccinations for some and mandatory masking in schools seems to dominate conversation - key is to get more and more people vaccinated.

As someone with both vaccinations plus the booster, I'll not go to the Ryan Center required to wear a mask.

So if science says I must wear a Mask in the Ryan Center I will watch on TV - and do so without wearing a mask.
RI must be at about 90% vaxxed. If we are 100% vaxxed, does the emergency order end? I'm guessing not. The liberal puppets are saying the same thing. Masks in school. The ATF is controlling that mandate. Science? The liberals believe the world is going to melt in ten years. LOL.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago College Football across the country is playing to full stadiums with no masks

RI must be at about 90% vaxxed. If we are 100% vaxxed, does the emergency order end? I'm guessing not. The liberal puppets are saying the same thing. Masks in school. The ATF is controlling that mandate. Science? The liberals believe the world is going to melt in ten years. LOL.

You know man there is a common middle ground, most "dems" aren't as far left as you portray them to be. And most "republican" arent as crazy far right as the liberal news portrays them to be. The extremes of both sides get the most play on the airwaves because controversy brings in viewership. Everything in this world isnt right vs left. Yet that's what you keep doing. You are talking like a far right extremist on a regular basis. The majority of this country is far closer to the middle then you and both sides of the media believe. Grow up stop talking about the same dumb ass talking point over and over again. We get it you don't like the mask rules. I don't either! Just don't go to the games and quit with dumbass rhetoric!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

You know man there is a common middle ground, most "dems" aren't as far left as you portray them to be. And most "republican" arent as crazy far right as the liberal news portrays them to be. The extremes of both sides get the most play on the airwaves because controversy brings in viewership. Everything in this world isnt right vs left. Yet that's what you keep doing. You are talking like a far right extremist on a regular basis. The majority of this country is far closer to the middle then you and both sides of the media believe. Grow up stop talking about the same dumb ass talking point over and over again. We get it you don't like the mask rules. I don't either! Just don't go to the games and quit with dumbass rhetoric!
This should be nominated for post of the year! Couldn't agree more!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NIH admits to funding Gain of Function experiments at the Wuhan lab. :o
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Checking in on the Covid thread like…

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Expressing dissatisfaction and pointing out the contradictions and hypocrisy of masking rules = "far right extremist" now...got it.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

There is no way that players/cheerleaders on the court will not be exposed to some Covid-19 as long as it is endemic in our society. Luckily most of them have good immune systems. We will all be making the choice to accept some risk in attending but the vast majority of people have already been exposed to Covid. Masks will do nearly nothing to change the risk when thousands of people are in a building together for several hours.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I was in Aruba for 10 days last month. A negative test was required to get on the island. Masks were required from the time you got off the plane until you entered your hotel room. Masks were also required in all public transportation, all restaurants and all hotels. The reason Aruba requires masks is because a large percentage of their tourists are from the U.S., and they know how poorly the U.S. has handled the virus. The U.S. is actually much more lenient than many other countries. Canada doesn't even want us up there.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass Mullins Center Covid Safety Measures

Proof of vaccination
Face Masks

https://umassathletics.com/sports/2021/ ... icies.aspx
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Seems like a lot of the proverbial men yelling at clouds in this thread.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Expressing dissatisfaction and pointing out the contradictions and hypocrisy of masking rules = "far right extremist" now...got it.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago Seems like a lot of the proverbial men yelling at clouds in this thread.
This is funny for timing...I JUST got off a work call where operations and IT we're arguing about benefits/hindrances of 'moving to the cloud'. There was no actual yelling...but it was there under the surface... :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

I was in Aruba for 10 days last month. A negative test was required to get on the island. Masks were required from the time you got off the plane until you entered your hotel room. Masks were also required in all public transportation, all restaurants and all hotels. The reason Aruba requires masks is because a large percentage of their tourists are from the U.S., and they know how poorly the U.S. has handled the virus. The U.S. is actually much more lenient than many other countries. Canada doesn't even want us up there.
Some facts with no opinions:
  • Aruba ranked 26th Country in Vaccine Doses per 100 People with 148 per 100. 1st Dose was given 247 days ago
  • US ranked 78th Country in Vaccine Doses per 100 People with 122 per 100. 1st dose was given 312 days ago (65 days earlier than Aruba)
  • Mainland China has given 5.5x more total doses than the US. 155 per 100.
  • Gibralter is ranked #1 with 251 doses per 100 people
  • Cuba is ranked #2 with 221 doses per 100 people
fwiw

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/he ... cinations/
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

• Aruba ranked 26th Country in Vaccine Doses per 100 People with 148 per 100. 1st Dose was given 247 days ago
  • US ranked 78th Country in Vaccine Doses per 100 People with 122 per 100. 1st dose was given 312 days ago (65 days earlier than Aruba)
fwiw

How about now you post cases and deaths for U.S. compared to other countries?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Expressing dissatisfaction and pointing out the contradictions and hypocrisy of masking rules = "far right extremist" now...got it.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.
But here's the thing - nobody said you're an extremist for disagreeing with the mask rules. The extremist comment was in response to someone who, for whatever reason, brought liberals and climate change into the discussion.

If you think climate change isn't real and needs correction, then I don't know what to say other than any argument you make is immediately discounted.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

fwiw

Why? What purpose?

Not sure that is available. Data I posted is from CNN Site.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
But here's the thing - nobody said you're an extremist for disagreeing with the mask rules. The extremist comment was in response to someone who, for whatever reason, brought liberals and climate change into the discussion.

If you think climate change isn't real and needs correction, then I don't know what to say other than any argument you make is immediately discounted.
Imagine, if you will, a point going so far over your head that you write that second paragraph.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

fwiw

Why? What purpose?

C'mon, Ramster, you know it's available in majny different places. I'll just post one.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... mFGkxc3py0
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why? What purpose?

C'mon, Ramster, you know it's available in majny different places. I'll just post one.

So what’s your point?
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

No, way to cherry pick from my post, I even stated in my post I don't like the mask rule either. Blueram makes everything, recently, about right vs left and brings in other topics and political views to accommodate his anti mask opinion. There is no need for it and the same nonsense in post after post is getting old.

As I said above the vast majority of this country is far closer to the middle then what we read about and watch on a daily basis. "The silent majority" what the farther right likes to call themselves & the "loud mouth arrogant liberals" are the minority. They just make the most noise yelling and screaming trying to make others believe there views. That noise brings viewership and clickbait articles. They are the ones who call into talk radio & get guest appearances on news networks. All while the majority of the country is saying shut the F&*$ up already!!

Let's move on shit is getting old. This thread is 40+ pages long we all get where everyone stands on the GD mask & covid topic.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why? What purpose?

So what’s your point?
You make it sound as if the U.S. is doing great. This data would disagree.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So what’s your point?
What?

The data shows the US ranked 78th in Vaccine Doses per 100 people. How is that great when the country that had Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTch and Johnson & Johnson invent 3 Vovid vaccines as part of record times in Project Warp Speed is middle of the pack among countries in Shots in Arms? It’s terrible.

We spend so much time and debate on masks that Fauci once said didn’t work, then CDC Director said in beginning of summer vaccinated people didn’t need the masks only to come back again to say we do need to wear masks. It’s nuts.

Vaccinations are the way out.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So what’s your point?
What?

The data shows the US ranked 78th in Vaccine Doses per 100 people. How is that great when the country that had Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTch and Johnson & Johnson invent 3 Vovid vaccines as part of record times in Project Warp Speed is middle of the pack among countries in Shots in Arms? It’s terrible.

We spend so much time and debate on masks that Fauci once said didn’t work, then CDC Director said in beginning of summer vaccinated people didn’t need the masks only to come back again to say we do need to wear masks. It’s nuts.

Well, at least I agree with you on vaccinations. It came out yesterday that the Pfizer booster is even more effective against the Delta variant than the the first 2 shots are against the original variant. Something like 96% for the booster as compared to 94% for the first two.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What?

Well, at least I agree with you on vaccinations. It came out yesterday that the Pfizer booster is even more effective against the Delta variant than the the first 2 shots are against the original variant. Something like 96% for the booster as compared to 94% for the first two.
I'm not seeing how any of this explains the difference between the RC and the dunk? Or, how this is "okay" among any group of intelligent people?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't believe the policies being implemented are on the extreme right or left. I believe it is clearly dem and repub policy. If we had a repub governor, there would be no mask mandate. None. So it's not extreme. It's what is actually happening.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't believe the policies being implemented are on the extreme right or left. I believe it is clearly dem and repub policy. If we had a repub governor, there would be no mask mandate. None. So it's not extreme. It's what is actually happening.
It’s what they all want you to think is happening.

In blue and red states it doesn’t matter. At college football games almost everyone is without masks.

California, Michigan, Washington DC they are going without masks at high percentages. But the media wants everyone to believe it’s all Ron Desantis’ fault. It’s all about the CNN, MSNBC narrative.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

What?

I'm not seeing how any of this explains the difference between the RC and the dunk? Or, how this is "okay" among any group of intelligent people?
It’s not ok. It’s dumb. It’s political and poorly managed political at that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What?

The CDC and the Administration has done a poor job of getting people vaccinated in the United States. Too much blaming states and certain groups of people. Just keep politics out of it and show the vaccination data.

And get that idiot Fauci off the media. Show how terrible the US vaccination rate is and how we are ranked 78th in countries with Doses per 100 people. It’s horrible but nobody knows it - government and CDC don’t want the US people seeing the real numbers. They spoon feed us only what they want us to hear.

How should Cuba be ranked #2 and the US #78?

But the worst thing is requiring me to wear a mask in the Ryan Center with 2 vaccinations and a booster. A big incentive to getting vaccinated was (and is) not having to wear a mask if I don’t want to. They took that advantage away. I will not go to watch basketball with a mask required
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So ramster, since you won’t watch games at the Ryan center with a mask on, how about going to our rivalry game at The Dunk with no mask?

Oh wait that’s right, you’re too good and above watching the majority of games this year of your favorite basketball team in person.

And just for the record, I wholeheartedly agree with not making masks required at The Ryan Center. I hate it, but after not going last year, I’ll deal (along with thousands of others).

But then when our rivalry game has no masks required and you still don’t go?

Sounding all high and mighty for no reason at all.
Go Rhody