Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I heard you have until Nov 1 to make a decision to rollover your tix again if you want to. I have no qualms with showing a vaxx card, but I'm not wearing a mask. I'll wait until Nov 1, and if the mask mandate is not removed I will roll over my tix again.
Perhaps they should move all home games to the dunk....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I heard you have until Nov 1 to make a decision to rollover your tix again if you want to. I have no qualms with showing a vaxx card, but I'm not wearing a mask. I'll wait until Nov 1, and if the mask mandate is not removed I will roll over my tix again.
Perhaps they should move all home games to the dunk....
Probably the most intelligent post in awhile.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you roll over your tickets to the following year, are you guaranteed the same seats? At the same price?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think much will change by Nov 1 but I do think its possible based on the trajectory of the virus to see new policies in place Jan 1 for A10 games.
I watched an NBA playoff game last year in arena of 18k people without anyone wearing masks; I gotta think we are going to get back to that at some point this season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I rolled my seats last year. Honestly Billy, not sure about the price but I would assume I would have to pay for any increase.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I rolled my seats last year. Honestly Billy, not sure about the price but I would assume I would have to pay for any increase.
That would be my guess. When I talked to them before, they didn't say the tix would roll over, they said the money you paid would.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If you roll over your tickets to the following year, are you guaranteed the same seats? At the same price?
No. Full blown refund this year, they're not doing rollovers.

I'll take my chances that my seats will still be available, as I can't imagine people will be clamoring for tix.

And if not? I'll get new seats when they decide to allow people to choose if they want to wear a face diaper or not.

I'm sure it'll be laughable and unenforcable, but the fact they're not taking a stand against this mask idiocy is enough for me to not give them my money.

And as for the lines to get in? LMAO - nothing better than a cold january night standing in that stupid tent or parking lot for 10-15 minutes to get into a 7000 seat arena with 2 entrances and 50% capacity - I'm sure adding the vax/mask mandates won't add more time to that process.

Hopefully this hits the wallets enough to make some wholesale changes around the game day "experience" the Ryan Center has so well provided for all these years.

Here's a hint: just do what the Dunk does. That arena sucks, but everything in their power to have a good atmosphere and a good time for fans they do extremely well.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Refund not so bad either...but I'll be halving my order...if I do decide to go back.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Covid plus the product on the court will end up having the desired effect of major changes ahead.

Revenue will take a huge hit whatever happens, unless the team actually does well.

That what it takes to change things at our state U.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If you roll over your tickets to the following year, are you guaranteed the same seats? At the same price?
No. Full blown refund this year, they're not doing rollovers.

I'll take my chances that my seats will still be available, as I can't imagine people will be clamoring for tix.

And if not? I'll get new seats when they decide to allow people to choose if they want to wear a face diaper or not.

I'm sure it'll be laughable and unenforcable, but the fact they're not taking a stand against this mask idiocy is enough for me to not give them my money.

And as for the lines to get in? LMAO - nothing better than a cold january night standing in that stupid tent or parking lot for 10-15 minutes to get into a 7000 seat arena with 2 entrances and 50% capacity - I'm sure adding the vax/mask mandates won't add more time to that process.

Hopefully this hits the wallets enough to make some wholesale changes around the game day "experience" the Ryan Center has so well provided for all these years.

Here's a hint: just do what the Dunk does. That arena sucks, but everything in their power to have a good atmosphere and a good time for fans they do extremely well.
Good Post. They are doing this at many colleges with the masks and they will see the effect in both attendance and the interest level around the team. You will have no trouble getting your tickets or something similar the following year even if they shocked the world and went 25-6. I am with you in the that I gave up my season tickets and have no interest in dealing with these regulations. I would have been alright with showing my vaccination card, but no interest in wearing a mask for 2.5/3 hours for a team that hopes to be a bubble NIT team. Speaking of game experience how about the internet issue that is always an issue at the Ryan Center also. The excitement is so different from even a couple of years ago.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There IS no excitement, nor are there high expectations.

Still, always fun seeing how things turn out.

See, that's the key...expect nothing, and maybe we will get something.....nowhere to go but up......
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure why they're going the refund route rather than keeping the guaranteed future sale...but, whatever. If they don't do well this year...can't imagine it will be easy to sell tix for the next...never mind increasing the price.

Going to be interesting to see the first split-screen post here showing on tv a uri game with maybe hundreds in attendance wearing masks, while simultaneously, 1000s are watching a game at the dunk without them. Science!
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Virus Rates are lower, plus vaccines now available for kids+booster shots for those who are eligible=a better fan experience this season. I would keep my tickets.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Virus Rates are lower, plus vaccines now available for kids+booster shots for those who are eligible=a better fan experience this season. I would keep my tickets.
I think everything you said before the = sign is true. But I'm not sure how it equates to what you have after it. I don't have a problem showing vaxx info...but what makes you think masks won't be required? I'm starting to think we may never see a day where they aren't required there... curious to hear thoughts on "what (measurable and/or visual) needs to happen" before they aren't required...I said more than a year ago they'd be required indefinitely....and here we are with vaccines up the wazoo...masking it up at the Ry...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Virus Rates are lower, plus vaccines now available for kids+booster shots for those who are eligible=a better fan experience this season. I would keep my tickets.
Are they really lower compared to this time last year? Seems to me, they really went up when everything went indoors (November or December) last year. I'm not positive about this, just what I seem to remember.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Any real noticeable dip in attendance this year will have very little to do with masks and much more to do with the state of our program. But it does give a few of you a new excuse to continue your favorite pastime of always playing the victim, so you've got that to look forward to I guess.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Any real noticeable dip in attendance this year will have very little to do with masks and much more to do with the state of our program. But it does give a few of you a new excuse to continue your favorite pastime of always playing the victim, so you've got that to look forward to I guess.
Wrong. For me, anyway. They could suck out loud and lose every game and I'd still go...or, they could play at the dunk (30 miles away, compared to walking distance and I'd go to every game)...I'm just not wearing a mask to a sporting event. Either the vaccine works or it doesn't...
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Any real noticeable dip in attendance this year will have very little to do with masks and much more to do with the state of our program. But it does give a few of you a new excuse to continue your favorite pastime of always playing the victim, so you've got that to look forward to I guess.
Wrong. For me, anyway. They could suck out loud and lose every game and I'd still go...or, they could play at the dunk (30 miles away, compared to walking distance and I'd go to every game)...I'm just not wearing a mask to a sporting event. Either the vaccine works or it doesn't...
LOL...thanks for proving my point for me!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
You said dip in attendance would have very little to do with mask requirements...and more to do with the state of the program. I said I'd go, regardless of the state of the program...just not going if wearing a mask is required. Not sure how that proves your point? And, not sure how choosing not to go because of that, makes me a victim?
I don't consider myself a victim at all. You can't have a choice and still be a victim...can you?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……we really, really, really need games to begin……..carry on……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You said dip in attendance would have very little to do with mask requirements...and more to do with the state of the program. I said I'd go, regardless of the state of the program...just not going if wearing a mask is required. Not sure how that proves your point? And, not sure how choosing not to go because of that, makes me a victim?
I don't consider myself a victim at all. You can't have a choice and still be a victim...can you?
Your months of whining on the subject tell a very different story. I've said my piece and am moving on. I'll let you continue to prove me right, because I'm confident you just can't help yourself. :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Your months of whining on the subject tell a very different story. I've said my piece and am moving on. I'll let you continue to prove me right, because I'm confident you just can't help yourself. :lol:
Ummm... Assigning or labeling someone as having a victim mentality, because they express an opinion while allowing that people should have a choice seems like a very progressive approach. Keep rolling with that. ;)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Venues’ COVID-19 protocols vary as R.I. leaves rules largely up to businesses
https://pbn.com/venues-covid-19-protoco ... usinesses/
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Venues’ COVID-19 protocols vary as R.I. leaves rules largely up to businesses
Looks like SCIENCE at work!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!

It all makes sense now...............Right????????
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Venues’ COVID-19 protocols vary as R.I. leaves rules largely up to businesses
Looks like SCIENCE at work!
There have been many oppressed sciences in our history... it's about time we saw some Diversity. :roll: :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At least in RI, it's totally up to you if you want to wear a mask going into a bar or restaurant......having said that, I haven't seen anyone wearing one for quite a while now....

In CT, some towns have mandates and some don't. It's all over the place.

Wearing a mask to walk into a place, and then take it off until you leave, sounds like stupidity at it's finest, but that's where we are right now.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago At least in RI, it's totally up to you if you want to wear a mask going into a bar or restaurant......having said that, I haven't seen anyone wearing one for quite a while now....

In CT, some towns have mandates and some don't. It's all over the place.

Wearing a mask to walk into a place, and then take it off until you leave, sounds like stupidity at it's finest, but that's where we are right now.
Bold statement, Cotton.... There is a LOT of competition for "stupidity at its finest" around this... maybe should be a whole 'nother thread...
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Can someone please confirm that the Ryan Center is the only venue of its kind in all of New England where masks are MANDATORY . Why are they optional at the Dunk and required at our HOUSE ?? Both entities are owned by The State of RI and there probably are more students in attendance at PC games than at ours , not to mention 7500 vs 13,000 capacity #'s and all of the other activities at the civic center . There have already been 2 cancelled outside recent events in Kingston and between these , additional cancellations and reduced basketball season ticket sales etc. revenues will be severely affected . Oh I forgot " THINK BIG WE DO ." I am a 76 year old class of 67 vaccinated male and in my world this is TOTAL BS !!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Can someone please confirm that the Ryan Center is the only venue of its kind in all of New England where masks are MANDATORY . Why are they optional at the Dunk and required at our HOUSE ?? Both entities are owned by The State of RI and there probably are more students in attendance at PC games than at ours , not to mention 7500 vs 13,000 capacity #'s and all of the other activities at the civic center . There have already been 2 cancelled outside recent events in Kingston and between these , additional cancellations and reduced basketball season ticket sales etc. revenues will be severely affected . Oh I forgot " THINK BIG WE DO ." I am a 76 year old class of 67 vaccinated male and in my world this is TOTAL BS !!!!
Unless something has changed recently that I could not find, no, it is not the only venue in New England where masks are mandatory. Below is an article about UConn requiring them. It also mentions that they are having some of their best ticket sales numbers in years. So the narrative that masks will have any real noticeable affect on ticket sales is way blown out of proportion. It turns out being good matters more then anything else.

"Season tickets sales through last week, UConn said, are approximately as follows: 3,500 for the men at Gampel and 6,000 at the XL; 3,700 for the women at Gampel and 4,700 at the XL.

The men’s XL figure is the highest since 2011-12 and the men’s Gampel figure is the highest since 2015-16."

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article ... 514151.php
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Can someone please confirm that the Ryan Center is the only venue of its kind in all of New England where masks are MANDATORY . Why are they optional at the Dunk and required at our HOUSE ?? Both entities are owned by The State of RI and there probably are more students in attendance at PC games than at ours , not to mention 7500 vs 13,000 capacity #'s and all of the other activities at the civic center . There have already been 2 cancelled outside recent events in Kingston and between these , additional cancellations and reduced basketball season ticket sales etc. revenues will be severely affected . Oh I forgot " THINK BIG WE DO ." I am a 76 year old class of 67 vaccinated male and in my world this is TOTAL BS !!!!
Unless something has changed recently that I could not find, no, it is not the only venue in New England where masks are mandatory. Below is an article about UConn requiring them. It also mentions that they are having some of their best ticket sales numbers in years. So the narrative that masks will have any real noticeable affect on ticket sales is way blown out of proportion. It turns out being good matters more then anything else.

"Season tickets sales through last week, UConn said, are approximately as follows: 3,500 for the men at Gampel and 6,000 at the XL; 3,700 for the women at Gampel and 4,700 at the XL.

The men’s XL figure is the highest since 2011-12 and the men’s Gampel figure is the highest since 2015-16."

Being good is a huge factor for bringing in new season tix I would think. But there is no question that, if masks are required, no matter how good said team... Many won't go...I'm only one person, that doesn't know many people (to emphasize my admittedly small sample size), but am aware of at least 8 here in South County that feel that way.

Will be interesting to see final new sales, renewed and rollover #s here for Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is going to be a "wait and see" season, when it comes to ticket sales.

If the product on the court smells, then sales will reflect that, obviously.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Although I appreciate the feedback , I do not give a crap about UCONN or really about potentially lost renenue . My main concern is that the Dunk is optional and we are MAHDATORY , APPLES TO APPLES . Maybe they have more politicians amongst their fan base or maybe we have no B___S ?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Being good is a huge factor for bringing in new season tix I would think. But there is no question that, if masks are required, no matter how good said team... Many won't go...I'm only one person, that doesn't know many people (to emphasize my admittedly small sample size), but am aware of at least 8 here in South County that feel that way.

Will be interesting to see final new sales, renewed and rollover #s here for Rhody
Already making my earlier prediction come true! Thank you!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Already making my earlier prediction come true! Thank you!
H2O + vinegar.. lotta that here...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The narrative that requiring masks is the only Covid related detriment to ticket sales fails to consider the offset. No vaccine and or mask mandates likely also has a similar negative impact on ticket sales for many. Either option during this health crisis is going to upset a segment of fans.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The narrative that requiring masks is the only detriment to ticket sales fails to consider the offset. No vaccine and or mask mandates likely also has a similar negative impact on ticket sales for many. Either option during this health crisis is going to upset a segment of fans.
Totally agree. But don't voice an opinion one way or the other, else you're playing the victim :roll:
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Talk about beating a dead horse. We get it the same people over and over are staying home because of masks. Stay home and enjoy the radio broadcast or some crappy stream.. no one wants to wear a mask, but it's the rule of the venue. So if you want to root the home team on you'll put up with 2 hours of a mask and just clap and scream louder. I for one look forward to a pre game 🍺 and 🍕 and cheering loudly through my uri mask for the rhody rams.. see some of you on 11/4.. can't wait.. go Sox!!!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Talk about beating a dead horse. We get it the same people over and over are staying home because of masks. Stay home and enjoy the radio broadcast or some crappy stream.. no one wants to wear a mask, but it's the rule of the venue. So if you want to route the home team on you'll put up with 2 hours of a mask and just clap and scream louder. I for one look forward to a pre game 🍺 and 🍕 and cheering loudly through my uri mask for the rhody rams.. go Sox!!!!!
I appreciate and respect your right to voice that view...just asking for the same....

I hope you enjoy it and that the team does well, I'll be watching whenever possible and probably be at the pc game and maybe others. Cheers to 🍻
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You know who worked with the CDC on mask mandates for schools? The AFT. Get that. A union pushed for mask mandates. Because we all know that the AFT are scientists.
CaliURIfan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by CaliURIfan »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago You know who worked with the CDC on mask mandates for schools? The AFT. Get that. A union pushed for mask mandates. Because we all know that the AFT are scientists.
I am not sure what you are getting at here. I think it is proper for scientists making major decisions regarding classrooms to engage with the folks that are the implementers within the classroom. They are the people who hang out with 30+ young people (who may or may not be vaccinated) all day in rooms that in a lot of areas are not well ventilated. I would think they would have some input about the ways in which help keep themselves and their students safe. Plus, isn't one of a union's functions to protect the people they serve?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CaliURIfan wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago You know who worked with the CDC on mask mandates for schools? The AFT. Get that. A union pushed for mask mandates. Because we all know that the AFT are scientists.
I am not sure what you are getting at here. I think it is proper for scientists making major decisions regarding classrooms to engage with the folks that are the implementers within the classroom. They are the people who hang out with 30+ young people (who may or may not be vaccinated) all day in rooms that in a lot of areas are not well ventilated. I would think they would have some input about the ways in which help keep themselves and their students safe. Plus, isn't one of a union's functions to protect the people they serve?
It's all about the science....duh...that's why masks are required at the Ry, but not the Dunk. Because science. What's so hard to understand about that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe it's science, maybe it's Maybelline.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Why are vaccinations mandated by government (Biden) but not mandated at the Dunk? Why aren't Masks mandated at a place like the Dunk? Yet they are mandated at the Ryan Center? Where is the Governor on this? The RI Covid Team? Seems odd.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Why are vaccinations mandated by government (Biden) but not mandated at the Dunk? Why aren't Masks mandated at a place like the Dunk? Yet they are mandated at the Ryan Center? Where is the Governor on this? The RI Covid Team? Seems odd.
One poster would say, "to help fuel your victim mentality" and then throw in a "told ya" after...and then he'd wash that down with vinegar and water....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

It's science Ramster. You see, masks are not needed at the Dunk but are needed at the Ryan Center. Do not question science.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My daughter is in high school. The only place she needs to wear a mask is in high school. Tell you what, there are some fucked up people running our government.
Last edited by theblueram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could this be approved instead of a mask at the Ry? Not too crazy about the bolts in my head but I’d probably get used to it

C3362633-C00D-4377-B86D-7AC3C26EFB88.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm