Unread post by Brian Forster »

Agreed. Top 4 in caa have shot
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Magic Number of Wins

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago Agreed. Top 4 in caa have shot
Brown should be a gimmie

Stony Brook, Towson, Maine and Elon look very beatable.

Which makes the other games toss ups. Including UMass. UMass is utter garbage.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Brown has a great coach and QB.
A lot of strange things happen to Rhody on that drive up to providence.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago For a playoff berth!

Go!

8 and it's guaranteed?

7 maybe?
Since the playoff expansion in 2013, no 8 win CAA team has missed the playoffs. 7 win teams have made it 7 times and missed out 8 times. One 6 win team made it and that was in 2018. If we had just held on against Maine that year we would have made the playoffs, because we would have been 7-4 (5-3). Stony Brook, Towson, and Delaware all had 7-4 (5-3) records and made it, and Elon made it going 6-4 (4-3). Their one fewer conference game was because a hurricane cancelled their game against William & Mary.

Up 36-35, kicking off from Maine's 35 yard line with 51 seconds left. Hold on to win and you go to the playoffs. Heartbreaking
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago Agreed. Top 4 in caa have shot
Brown should be a gimmie

Stony Brook, Towson, Maine and Elon look very beatable.

Which makes the other games toss ups. Including UMass. UMass is utter garbage.
Our schedule is really pretty favorable all things considered. There are currently five CAA teams ranked in the top 25. We don't play 3/2 James Madison or 21/18 Richmond. We host 6/7 Delaware and 23 New Hampshire. We go on the road to 12/T-9 Villanova. That said, that might mean we have to win 8 games to be in the playoffs, we might be on the outside looking in at just 7
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

We're half way to eight right now. :-)
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I'm thinking 6-2 in CAA gets it done for sure...
5-3 and my BP at the start of the selection show might not ever get back to normal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

One interesting thing if we get to 7 wins, putting us on the bubble. The CAA representative on the playoff committee that forms the playoff bracket is Thorr Bjorn. He would have to leave the room while the team is discussed, but I would have to think that if we're on the bubble that might put us over the top
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago I'm thinking 6-2 in CAA gets it done for sure...
5-3 and my BP at the start of the selection show might not ever get back to normal.
5-3 would get us in WHEN we beat UMass.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I appreciate the optimism, but I refuse to say when we beat UMass in regards to a playoff berth. Not after going up there for the game in 2001 and watching our playoff hopes get crushed
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
I appreciate the optimism, but I refuse to say when we beat UMass in regards to a playoff berth. Not after going up there for the game in 2001 and watching our playoff hopes get crushed
They'll be jacked up thinking they will beat us to get their first win

But we actually know how to win and i think it's close and we get it done late in the fourth.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

15A98551-DCEF-4EEF-8F7D-BE926338FA52.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Those standings have to be a typo....wait it's not?

Go 3-3 the rest of the way and it's playoff time.

I actually think 9-2 is very possible.

If anyone is watching UConn-UMass on NESN right now, wow are they pathetic.

I think we can beat UMass, they are THAT bad.

Quite a difference from OU-Texas 55-48 and Ole Miss-Arkansas 52-51 today. Amazing games. College football is the best, hands down!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Those standings have to be a typo....wait it's not?

Go 3-3 the rest of the way and it's playoff time.

I actually think 9-2 is very possible.

If anyone is watching UConn-UMass on NESN right now, wow are they pathetic.

I think we can beat UMass, they are THAT bad.

Quite a difference from OU-Texas 55-48 and Ole Miss-Arkansas 52-51 today. Amazing games. College football is the best, hands down!
Yep, UMass looked plenty bad...then there's UConn...
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Bring back the Yankee Conference
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UMass actually looked pretty good the 2nd half against UConn....but I guess that's not saying much lol.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

DOWN GOES JAMES MADISON!!!

DOWN GOES JAMES MADISON!!!

Hey, why don't we just win the league and get the auto bid!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Must beat Towson.....must beat Towson.....must beat Towson....one at a time please.

URI football has had no reason to feel overconfident for what seems like millions of years.....don't start now.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Towson is in fact not a must win. For instance, if we go 10-1, but our loss is to Towson, something tells me we're going to be just fine come playoff selection time
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Towson is in fact not a must win. For instance, if we go 10-1, but our loss is to Towson, something tells me we're going to be just fine come playoff selection time
Ya just feel like the losses might snowball if we don't win it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Towson is in fact not a must win. For instance, if we go 10-1, but our loss is to Towson, something tells me we're going to be just fine come playoff selection time
Ya just feel like the losses might snowball if we don't win it.
Agree. I would say chances are much better of going undefeated than going 10-1 with the only loss being to Towson...
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Was just thinking

The only sad part about this season is that Murphy, Coulter and Aaron Parker aren't apart of this team.

We would challenge NDSU
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Was just thinking

The only sad part about this season is that Murphy, Coulter and Aaron Parker aren't apart of this team.

We would challenge NDSU
We’re in this position because they’re not here. Clearly, a prolific passing game doesn’t equate to wins. Give me a healthy Kevin Brown and Ahmere Dorsey and you may have a point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FmrRamFB wrote: 2 years ago

We would challenge NDSU
We’re in this position because they’re not here. Clearly, a prolific passing game doesn’t equate to wins. Give me a healthy Kevin Brown and Ahmere Dorsey and you may have a point.
2 of those 3 guys already graduated so not sure of the point

There are plenty of players who are having solid seasons and helping to lead this team to a 5-0 record.
Just to name a few:

Defense
  • DB Jordan Jones R-JR leads the CAA with an amazing 5 interceptions
  • DB Coby Tippett SR Transfer from Towson has been great
  • LB Evan Stewart R-FR transfer from Boston College is amazing - 4th in the CAA in tackles per game
  • LB Andre Blackett SR transfer from Lackawanna is 13th in the CAA in tackles per game
  • LB Mack III R-SR adds experience and talent to this defense
  • DL Andre Bibeault R-SR adds experience and talent to this defense
  • DB Antonio Carter II R-FR transfer from UCONN is 45th in the CAA in tackles per game
  • Tackle Westley Neal Jr is just a Freshman but more than holding his own on the defensive line and showing strong potential
Offense
  • Got to give a lot of credit to an offensive line consisting of 1 true Freshman in Ajani Cornelious and 4 R-Sophomores in Evan Lowell, Sebastian Delasoudas, Nick Correia and Lorenzo Thompson. These guys have done a hell of a job protecting Kasim Hill and opening holes for our runners.
  • RB Justice Antrum SR has been phenomenal. Kevin Brown was lost for the season and Antrum has been amazing. He is 3rd in the CAA in Rushing at 90.4 yards per game. Who in the world of FCS Football saw Antrum's season coming? Credit to that offensive line too.
  • QB Kasim Hill R-JR transfer from Tennessee has been solid in passing and running. Big, tough kid who has led by example
  • TE Caleb Warren JR has been great with many clutch receptions
  • WR Ivory Frimpong SR is making the most of his playing time opportunities. He has the potential to play at a higher level
Punting, Field Goals and Special Team play have all been solid.

The next 6 games are going to be very exciting.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We would challenge NDSU
I'm sorry, but this is silly. We're in this position because three guys on NFL practice squads aren't here? Also, passing doesn't equal wins when that's all a team has, but it's damn good to have
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We would challenge NDSU
I'm sorry, but this is silly. We're in this position because three guys on NFL practice squads aren't here? Also, passing doesn't equal wins when that's all a team has, but it's damn good to have
And waaaay more fun to watch ;)
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

How is this silly? We’re in this position because they’re on NFL rosters which proves that guys can make it to the league from URI. We signed the highest rated class in school history in ‘20 after going 2-10. Antrum is proving that we had more than just a passing game. Will Fleming chose to throw it 70% of the time. Check the box scores from that season and see how unbalanced the offense was.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

How is this silly? We’re in this position because they’re on NFL rosters which proves that guys can make it to the league from URI. We signed the highest rated class in school history in ‘20 after going 2-10. Antrum is proving that we had more than just a passing game. Will Fleming chose to throw it 70% of the time. Check the box scores from that season and see how unbalanced the offense was.
I'm not saying anything is silly...I'm just saying...I love passing. Not saying it's more effective or any more or less silly...just that I prefer seeing lots of passing...
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Your original post read like they, and by extension the passing game as a whole, were an issue holding the team back. It didn't read like you were saying we are in this position because they're on NFL rosters which has allowed us to increase the talent level on the roster. That's not silly at all