Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’ll be a bunch of chin diapers at games anyways just like it’s always been. I hope we don’t have to wear them.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It doesn't look good. Here we are in mid-August with school soon to start and 100% Masking is required as of today. From what I heard from some is that this seemed to have come out of nowhere - was not expected.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago It’ll be a bunch of chin diapers at games anyways just like it’s always been. I hope we don’t have to wear them.
I would think maybe that, if they are required...the situation would have to be bad enough to warrant it. Then it would also seem reasonable to think...if the situation is that bad...there might be some folks that made decisions prior, and now with new info...ask to 'opt out'? I mean...this is all happening so quickly.... :roll:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Athletics facilities are school facilities. The Ryan Center is not.

If the Ryan Center mandates masks (which they have not yet) they will allow you to defer your tix again.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We will know soon on Ryan Center when we play Bryant in football. Access to Ryan Center is always available on West side of field
I’d be very surprised if masks are not required when entering the Ryan but we will know soon.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This isn’t that hard. It will all depend on the prevalence of the virus come bball season. Given where things are now I would expect the RC to require masks when using the facilities during football games. When cases spike, politicians freak, and mandates happen. When they are low public opinion calls for loosening and then politicians follow.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago This isn’t that hard. It will all depend on the prevalence of the virus come bball season. Given where things are now I would expect the RC to require masks when using the facilities during football games. When cases spike, politicians freak, and mandates happen. When they are low public opinion calls for loosening and then politicians follow.
I'll donate and take the tax break if URI doesn't allow another deferral. No mask for me.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Athletics facilities are school facilities. The Ryan Center is not.

If the Ryan Center mandates masks (which they have not yet) they will allow you to defer your tix again.
Those working at the Ryan Center currently...have to wear masks.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Athletics facilities are school facilities. The Ryan Center is not.

Those working at the Ryan Center currently...have to wear masks.
And when I emailed the ticket office and asked them the question, that was the response.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not to be a doomsayer...but I don't see how anyone can think it's looking good for having fans at the Ry....and I don't mean just because of the likely product. Just the 'world we're in'.... Half of the Sox dx'd w/COVID...everyone, everywhere having to wear a mask on campus at URI... If they do allow fans, can't imagine they won't require masks (I mean, if the people working there now...with no one around... all have to...) and pretty sure that's going to have a lot of folks opting to rollover tix again...and if they don't allow that, the season ticket base will probably shrink considerably.

I hope I'm wrong and we're all packed in there screaming in each other's faces, but not counting on it.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

god I hope you are wrong but unless there is a major improvement and quick in the vaccination rates it will be inevitable that either masks will be required and possibly limited attendance for social distancing as well or worse no fans or even worse no games at all . We can only hope it doesn't come
to any of this but it doesn't look good right now as you say.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..well there it is……got my shots and will boost when needed…….and to think, we almost had this freakin thing beat……..and now here we are because of, what???????? You tell me……So I guess put the dam mask on again, watch game through foggy glasses……I guess better then sitting at home again….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..well there it is……got my shots and will boost when needed…….and to think, we almost had this freakin thing beat……..and now here we are because of, what???????? You tell me……So I guess put the dam mask on again, watch game through foggy glasses……I guess better then sitting at home again….
No. No, it isn't. Time to reach out to Tyler...
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Can't do it. I'll be rooting from the couch. Yelling into a mask sounds like the opposite of a good time. I believe they're going to ask us if we want to push/refund/donate our tix for this season.

At this point it's insane.

Let people make their own choices. Want to mask? Great. Don't want to? Cool.

Hopefully they come to their senses and I'll grab some single tix when they lift these rules.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Can't do it. I'll be rooting from the couch. Yelling into a mask sounds like the opposite of a good time. I believe they're going to ask us if we want to push/refund/donate our tix for this season.

At this point it's insane.

Let people make their own choices. Want to mask? Great. Don't want to? Cool.

Hopefully they come to their senses and I'll grab some single tix when they lift these rules.
Unfortunately, we don't live in a "let people make their own choices" state...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

lol , you SON OF A
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think I saw ATP post that 94% of students are vaccinated. Yet everyone has to wear a mask? Insanity prevails. Either the vaccines work or they don't. I'll be passing on games this year.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

No doubt annoying but idk I think some may be overreacting saying they won’t attend. I think the reality of what it will look like is wear a mask as you go through security but once you’re at your seat you’ll be able to do what you want…they can’t and don’t want to police the entire arena during the game
Clapton is God
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago No doubt annoying but idk I think some may be overreacting saying they won’t attend. I think the reality of what it will look like is wear a mask as you go through security but once you’re at your seat you’ll be able to do what you want…they can’t and don’t want to police the entire arena during the game
I agree with this.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago No doubt annoying but idk I think some may be overreacting saying they won’t attend. I think the reality of what it will look like is wear a mask as you go through security but once you’re at your seat you’ll be able to do what you want…they can’t and don’t want to police the entire arena during the game
I agree with this.
I don't. As much as I hate the rule...and as effed up as it is...I'm not going to go there, break the rules and have nitwits (probably the same nitwits that wear masks by themselves on the bike path in the woods and would just as soon have them required everywhere all the time) pointing me out, or giving me the masked side eye...no thanks.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………yep, going to go, wrestle with the mask…….. went to PPAC to see Cafferty and SSJ recently and sat with mask for hours thinking could I do this in the RC?……….getting my Providence trip mind set going for the Dump……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just grab and hold onto a 3 year old stale pretzel from the concession stand and say “I’m eating” if any of the miserable security people come down and tell you to put on your mask.

Not gonna let a little piece of cloth stop me from going to games after a year of not being allowed to attend in any capacity.

Yes it is a dumb rule because at this point, multiple other stadiums around the country are maskless and there’s no national mask mandate in buildings, stores, restaurants, etc.

But still, I’ll wear the mask to watch live games for the first time in two years.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

2 weeks ago I was at the Buffett concert at Great Woods with about 19,000 people. No masks. Just one giant party. Yeah, no mask for me.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So what would the point be of making people wear masks if they weren't going to require them at the seats?

Not for nothing - if it's ok to have them down eating or drinking then what is the point of having them at all? I won't get into the lack of common sense that has to prevail to think that this philosophy will "stop" a virus that a year of these mandates and lockdowns, and now a vaccinated population, have not. Either they need to be on all the time or they don't. It's either truly this deadly and contagious or it isn't.

That said, I don't need to give staff any excuse to throw me out, I yell enough. I'll save my voice and see you in 2022 or whenever common sense returns.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fenway Park just announced that they're going back to masks for the Red Sox next homestand.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So the masking is supposed to help who? Certainly not vaccinated people. So unvaccinated people? Isn't that their choice? And if they get sick and die isn't that their choice? Free will and all that stuff this country used to be about.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
I agree with this.
I don't. As much as I hate the rule...and as effed up as it is...I'm not going to go there, break the rules and have nitwits (probably the same nitwits that wear masks by themselves on the bike path in the woods and would just as soon have them required everywhere all the time) pointing me out, or giving me the masked side eye...no thanks.
I actually also agree with this lol
GO RAMS
gorhody89
ARD

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
So what would the point be of making people wear masks if they weren't going to require them at the seats?

Not for nothing - if it's ok to have them down eating or drinking then what is the point of having them at all? I won't get into the lack of common sense that has to prevail to think that this philosophy will "stop" a virus that a year of these mandates and lockdowns, and now a vaccinated population, have not. Either they need to be on all the time or they don't. It's either truly this deadly and contagious or it isn't.

That said, I don't need to give staff any excuse to throw me out, I yell enough. I'll save my voice and see you in 2022 or whenever common sense returns.
yeah I am not trying to say that their logic does/doesn't makes sense. Just saying that I don't think they will police fans in their seats and you would only be wearing it entering, walking to seat, and concessions. If I'm wrong ill buy a pack of Skittles and will "be eating"
Clapton is God
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago

yeah I am not trying to say that their logic does/doesn't makes sense. Just saying that I don't think they will police fans in their seats and you would only be wearing it entering, walking to seat, and concessions. If I'm wrong ill buy a pack of Skittles and will "be eating"
And that would be enjoyable...fake eating...so you don't have to wear a mask in your seat? And you'd pay money to do that? Yeah...no.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How dare you!

We all know the virus takes a break from spreading once you're sitting down eating and drinking!
gorhody89
ARD

And that would be enjoyable...fake eating...so you don't have to wear a mask in your seat? And you'd pay money to do that? Yeah...no.
I like skittles
Clapton is God
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I like skittles
Clapton is not "God"...good at guitar, yes, but not God or even god, or a decent human being for that matter...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I like skittles
Clapton is not "God"...good at guitar, yes, but not God or even god, or a decent human being for that matter...
I wouldn't be that hard 208. In the 80's I thought Led Zeppelin were Gods. Not in the God/Jesus sense, but Zeppelin were Gods!!!!
gorhody89
ARD

I like skittles
My mistake for my lazy response, didn’t realize you were so fired up. Again I’m not saying I agree/disagree with the mask requirement, just stating that atleast for me the benefit of being at the game in person out-ways the annoyance of wearing a mask walking in and around Ryan Center. I understand that you and many others don’t feel the same way and that’s okay, I understand, and I get it…

As for EC I’m sure you’re aware that I didn’t invent “clapton is god” and that it has been around for some time. I love music and I listen to a ton of it and for me personally no guitarist delivers the same level of emotional/spiritual experience as Eric(live shows not studio)…As for his character he has certainly done/said plenty that I don’t like…there is also plenty of things he has done/said and more importantly things others who know him have said about him that me comfortable about his character which I can share with you in PM if you’re interested.

Have a great day and Gorhody
Clapton is God
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I like skittles
My mistake for my lazy response, didn’t realize you were so fired up. Again I’m not saying I agree/disagree with the mask requirement, just stating that atleast for me the benefit of being at the game in person out-ways the annoyance of wearing a mask walking in and around Ryan Center. I understand that you and many others don’t feel the same way and that’s okay, I understand, and I get it…

As for EC I’m sure you’re aware that I didn’t invent “clapton is god” and that it has been around for some time. I love music and I listen to a ton of it and for me personally no guitarist delivers the same level of emotional/spiritual experience as Eric(live shows not studio)…As for his character he has certainly done/said plenty that I don’t like…there is also plenty of things he has done/said and more importantly things others who know him have said about him that me comfortable about his character which I can share with you in PM if you’re interested.

Got it. I prefer Joe Bonamassa myself ;)
gorhody89
ARD

Love Bonamassa as well amigo
Clapton is God
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ever seen any of the Bonamassa and Beth Hart videos? Or heard any of the 3 albums?
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Ever seen any of the Bonamassa and Beth Hart videos? Or heard any of the 3 albums?
Stevie Ray Vaughn for me. It’s a shame he left this world far too early, depriving us of decades more guitar genius.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Stevie Ray Vaughn for me. It’s a shame he left this world far too early, depriving us of decades more guitar genius.
No kidding...saw him play at Old Orchard Beach way back when...
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

As a person who wears glasses am not planning on masking up for any games in the Ryan Center. With the Delta Variant being so transmissible herd immunity should be just around the corner. I'm going to wait and see before getting riled up about it. Hope we all make it to the other side. On a side note Kenny Wayne Sheppard is amazing on guitar.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I don't care if I have to wear a hazmat suit over a beekeepers suit. I just want to get in the building to cheer on the Rams.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago As a person who wears glasses am not planning on masking up for any games in the Ryan Center. With the Delta Variant being so transmissible herd immunity should be just around the corner. I'm going to wait and see before getting riled up about it. Hope we all make it to the other side. On a side note Kenny Wayne Sheppard is amazing on guitar.
Everyone just needs to mask up until we get to herd immunity, amirite? That's how it works, doesn't it? :roll:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I don't care if I have to wear a hazmat suit over a beekeepers suit. I just want to get in the building to cheer on the Rams.
…….I am down with this thought……..I just wanna see Rhody hoops up close again……..gonna be a decent season, looking forward to it, staying positive………even after the first questionable time out……….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...my company is requiring covid vax, but not the flu shot 💉... 's up with that?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I don't care if I have to wear a hazmat suit over a beekeepers suit. I just want to get in the building to cheer on the Rams.

I want to be there, too....will add in scuba breathing apparatus, too....I'm in......will bank on the oxygen tank with a drumstick to make noise....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago So...my company is requiring covid vax, but not the flu shot 💉... 's up with that?
If people are seriously still thinking covid and the flu are comparable...

Yikes.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago So...my company is requiring covid vax, but not the flu shot 💉... 's up with that?

Yikes.
You are totally missing the point...yikes :roll:

My company is REQUIRING the covid vax and 'recommending' the flu shot, with the same reason given for both - so that we don't get each other sick, or our customers sick, and we are available to serve them. Yeah, I might be out for a week with the flu, or a month with covid. I'm still out...so, if the point is to be available and not get people sick, why don't they require both?

I think we know that the answer is..."we're getting there"...but they don't want to push too far too soon and lose control momentum...
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Yikes.
You are totally missing the point...yikes :roll:

My company is REQUIRING the covid vax and 'recommending' the flu shot, with the same reason given for both - so that we don't get each other sick, or our customers sick, and we are available to serve them. Yeah, I might be out for a week with the flu, or a month with covid. I'm still out...so, if the point is to be available and not get people sick, why don't they require both?

I think we know that the answer is..."we're getting there"...but they don't want to push too far too soon and lose control momentum...
Stop putting COVID and the flu in the same sentence. They're not the same and not comparable. COVID is filling up hospitals with patients (and morgues with ex-patients)...Delta variant transmits like chicken pox. COVID can lead to long haul effects which will need to be addressed and studied for years. One is a pandemic and the other occurs more seasonally. Please ask a medical professional for further clarification on the differences. Thanks.