2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by CamsRams »

The mentioned Georgia State as another home game on tonight’s coaches show.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago The mentioned Georgia State as another home game on tonight’s coaches show.
If official, this should be a very tough game for us.
They return all 5 starters and all are double digit scorers
A veteran team with good size and 4 all conference players.
Rob Lanier is a good coach with A10 experience, having played and coached for the Bonnies.
Last season they finished 1st (reg. season east) Sun Belt, record 16-6.

Probable 21-22 starters:
Justin Roberts (5'10" senior) - 13pts/ 5 assists, 2nd team all conference
Corey Allen (6'2" senior) - 15 pts/ 4 rebs/ 3 assists, 2nd team all conference
Kane Williams (6'4" senior) - 13 pts/ 4 assists, 1st team all conference
Eliel Nsoseme (6'8" 235lbs senior)- 12 pts/10 rebs, 2nd team all conference
Jalen Thomas (6'10" 230 lbs. junior) - 10 pts/6 rebs.

If this is a home/home series, their new basketball arena in Summerhill is expected to open in August of 2022.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#117 Georgia State
#121 URI
#122 Milwaukee

F12F85D2-4B6E-43FE-815D-2DD401B47424.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

“ this should be a very tough game for us”

The perfect epitome of the state of our program. Year 3 of an A10 program where the “bar” set by the coach is championships and NCAA’s, and our fans are getting ready for a “tough” game against a sun belt team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago “ this should be a very tough game for us”

The perfect epitome of the state of our program. Year 3 of an A10 program where the “bar” set by the coach is championships and NCAA’s, and our fans are getting ready for a “tough” game against a sun belt team.
BlueMan, Georgia State is still expected to be very good this year regardless of their conference.
Last season they did beat Georgia Tech who went 11-6 in the ACC (NCAAT bid)

Also College Sports Madness has them projected to win the Sun Belt and going to the NCAAT for 21-22.

Though I am still disappointed the Seton Hall game isn't happening.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The evolving scheduling policy with recent equal home and homes with games played at Mid-majors with little basketball pedigree seems to confirm that URI is being further squeezed. In the early years of the Ryan Center, the going rate for buy games was much less and Rhody loaded up on many of these types of games. They can no longer afford as many buy games today given the payout and it now seems 1-2 per year may be the max. This means more road and neutral site games. When URI had a better team and higher prospects, it could get some name teams to agree to neutral games and series. The downward trajectory since Hurley departed has however made these arrangements even less likely now. Agreeing to play one off neutral site games against Charleston and H&H series with the likes of Milwaukee and Georgia State seems to be the state of where this program currently is. URI is scheduling like a mid-major because that is where reality is. Rhody is even slipping further away from teams in its own conference when it comes to schedules. Look at the A-10 member schedules of Dayton, VCU, St Louis, and Richmond and you will see something far different.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

BlueMan, Georgia State will be very good this year regardless of their conference.

Also College Sports Madness has them projected to win the Sun Belt and going to the NCAAT for 21-22.
They also lost to teams like Coastal Carolina, Mercer, and South Alabama... Yes, they should be a very good Sun Belt team. This is nothing more than an average A10 team whose NET ranking will be around 100-150... I won't complain about a Quad 2 win but this is a team we should beat.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Wouldn’t a GA St win at home most likely be a Quad 3 victory?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The evolving scheduling policy with recent equal home and homes with games played at Mid-majors with little basketball pedigree seems to confirm that URI is being further squeezed. In the early years of the Ryan Center, the going rate for buy games was much less and Rhody loaded up on many of these types of games. They can no longer afford many buy games today given the payout and it now seems 1-2 per year may be the max. This means more road and neutral site games. When URI had a better team and higher prospects, it could get some name teams to agree to neutral games and series. The downward trajectory since Hurley departed has however made these arrangements even less likely now. Agreeing to play one off neutral site games against Charleston and H&H series with the likes of Milwaukee and Georgia State seems to be the state of where this program currently is. URI is scheduling like a mid-major because that is where reality is. Rhody is even slipping further away from teams in its own conference when it comes to schedules. Look at the A-10 member schedules of Dayton, VCU, St Louis, and Richmond and you will see something far different.
Of course, but that can easily change depending on the trajectory of our program going forward.
Getting P5 schools for home/home series will continue to get much tougher for most Mid-Majors not named Gonzaga.
This coming season is the first in awhile that our OOC schedule is a little weaker, so it is a little too early to call it a trend for us.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Wouldn’t a GA St win at home most likely be a Quad 3 victory?
My bad I thought this was a road game.. Yup this is a Quad 3 game
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

BlueMan, Georgia State will be very good this year regardless of their conference.

They also lost to teams like Coastal Carolina, Mercer, and South Alabama... Yes, they should be a very good Sun Belt team. This is nothing more than an average A10 team whose NET ranking will be around 100-150... I won't complain about a Quad 2 win but this is a team we should beat.
Yeah they had some bad loses like many teams do, but you can see what they were capable of.
I think they are a little better than what you may give them credit for. Rob Lanier seems to have them on the right track.

Look we could of done much worse in getting that last game scheduled.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Jeeze I can not wait for the season to start. Some posters at this point have become so intolerable to read. Everything and anything is spun to be a negative. Some of you posters would find a way to spin the most positive news negative at this point. I just cant wait for these games to start so we can stop hearing you guys bitching every second of the day.

Yall got some real miserable lives.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The evolving scheduling policy with recent equal home and homes with games played at Mid-majors with little basketball pedigree seems to confirm that URI is being further squeezed. In the early years of the Ryan Center, the going rate for buy games was much less and Rhody loaded up on many of these types of games. They can no longer afford many buy games today given the payout and it now seems 1-2 per year may be the max. This means more road and neutral site games. When URI had a better team and higher prospects, it could get some name teams to agree to neutral games and series. The downward trajectory since Hurley departed has however made these arrangements even less likely now. Agreeing to play one off neutral site games against Charleston and H&H series with the likes of Milwaukee and Georgia State seems to be the state of where this program currently is. URI is scheduling like a mid-major because that is where reality is. Rhody is even slipping further away from teams in its own conference when it comes to schedules. Look at the A-10 member schedules of Dayton, VCU, St Louis, and Richmond and you will see something far different.
Of course, but that can easily change depending on the trajectory of our program going forward.
Getting P5 schools for home/home series will continue to get much tougher most Mid-Majors not named Gonzaga.
This coming season is the first in awhile that our OOC schedule is a little weaker, so it is a little too early to call it a trend for us.
A little weaker????
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
Getting P5 schools for home/home series will continue to get much tougher for most Mid-Majors not named Gonzaga.
A little weaker????
So what, I wouldn't call 1 year a trend.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

A little weaker????
Not a trend, but the schedule is garbage compared to the last couple seasons.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With that schedule, they will have to win A LOT.
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Like most mid-majors, I think URI needs to be seen as a "winning" program or one on the upswing to schedule well. Frankly, who's excited about scheduling a team projected to finish in the 100s in NET - as we are this year - or who finished at #112 - as we did in 2020-21? (NET also probably oversells how "good" we were last year, since we had some losses to good teams OOC, and some dreadful teams in A-10 play.)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Playing fast and loose with the word “highlighted,” but it’s done, so go rack up some wins-

gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Yeah likely 12-1 is needed in non conference to be at all in position for at large….
Clapton is God
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago Jeeze I can not wait for the season to start. Some posters at this point have become so intolerable to read. Everything and anything is spun to be a negative. Some of you posters would find a way to spin the most positive news negative at this point. I just cant wait for these games to start so we can stop hearing you guys bitching every second of the day.

They are truly pathetic humans. PATHETIC. They truly can’t help themselves. They want as many people as possible to drown in their pathetic misery. Their spineless/gutless ring leader keep the batteries charged in everyone’s backs though.

Here come all the same ol’ responses to me, flame on.

Go RHODY!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

A little weaker????
Nevermind, it being a PROCESS. The team needs to find its identity, top to bottom. This is the year they’ll have to do it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah likely 12-1 is needed in non conference to be at all in position for at large….
I want to see significant improvement before even talking about an at large.

Anyone expecting a tourney birth this year will be disappointed.

I’m just expecting for improvement in all areas, and hoping for a late season bubble run, although not holding my breath on that. I’m sure many of us here are feeling similar.
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Last year’s schedule was brutal. I like this one. Looks like a traditional uri sched the last 20 yrs.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The home OOC slate for 2021-22:

Boston University
Bryant
Boston College
Georgia State
Sacred Heart
Brown

BC, Ga St, and Brown are known rotating home and home series. The Byrant game is part of the Dayton tournament as a one off. Would assume Sacred Heart is a buy game. Not sure on BU contract whether it is a buy game or part of a series?

The last home Rhody schedule (2019-20) before Covid was

LIU (buy)
Alabama (H&H)
Nicholls (Jersey Mike's Classic)
Manhattan (buy)
Providence (H&H)
Western Kentucky (H&H)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Last year’s schedule was brutal. I like this one. Looks like a traditional uri sched the last 20 yrs.
…did you forget about Hurley’s tenure here and the OOC schedules we had with him?

This doesn’t even compare to those opponents.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah likely 12-1 is needed in non conference to be at all in position for at large….

I’m just expecting for improvement in all areas, and hoping for a late season bubble run, although not holding my breath on that. I’m sure many of us here are feeling similar.
Yes 15, I agree with this post.

Let's enjoy the games without being concerned about these pre-season quad rankings which are currently meaningless for us. Very doubtful we are getting a bid anyway, I just want to see much improvement.

I am glad to hear the Seton Hall game will be rescheduled for 22-23.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This OOC is one tomato can after the next. URI should not lose more than 2 OOC games.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago Jeeze I can not wait for the season to start. Some posters at this point have become so intolerable to read. Everything and anything is spun to be a negative. Some of you posters would find a way to spin the most positive news negative at this point. I just cant wait for these games to start so we can stop hearing you guys bitching every second of the day.

They are truly pathetic humans. PATHETIC. They truly can’t help themselves. They want as many people as possible to drown in their pathetic misery. Their spineless/gutless ring leader keep the batteries charged in everyone’s backs though.

Here come all the same ol’ responses to me, flame on.

Go RHODY!
Pathetic humans? Are you serious.... Why is it ok for this dude to continue coming on here, talking nothing about basketball and insulting people? I'm all for debating about our team and program, but all DC does is insult our fans and get personal.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Agreed - also looking for coaching improvements/player development and not expecting to dance…typically want our non conference schedule to atleast provide a path to an at large so that is a bit disappointing…
Clapton is God
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Pretty weak schedule. I guess if your job is on the line you got to pad the stats. So much for NCAA or Bust. Very disappointing.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Would be good to know about what happened to the Seton Hall game.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
A little weaker????
Nevermind, it being a PROCESS. The team needs to find its identity, top to bottom. This is the year they’ll have to do it.
Three years complete, going into the fourth year and only now is Baron 2.0 getting around to finding a team identity? Some coach we have. At least it's a PROCESS. Where have we heard that before?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago This OOC is one tomato can after the next. URI should not lose more than 2 OOC games.
At PC, Tulsa, probably Utah, at Harvard, at Wisc/Milw, Georgia State will all be difficult games. Granted this isn't the schedule we previously had, but should be some fun games to watch.

We know at least 3 OOC games next year will be tough with PC, SH, at Georgia State. Plus, let's see what season tournament we play in.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……I have no problem with this NIT sked…….we need to build back up to where we were in the Hurley years…….win a bunch of those games, make a little noise in the A-10……we are what we are……looking forward to the games in the RC……we are not turning this ship as quickly as some want…….staying positive to build back…….go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Getting P5 schools for home/home series will continue to get much tougher most Mid-Majors not named Gonzaga.
A little weaker????
This out of conference schedule is softer than diarrhea, and just about as appetizing
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago Playing fast and loose with the word “highlighted,” but it’s done, so go rack up some wins-

David Cox scheduled the Sunshine Slam against Bryant, Tulsa, and BC/Utah, Boston University, a home and home with Georgia State, Sacred Heart, a home and home with Milwaukee, and a neutral site game against College of Charleston this offseason. Everything else was part of a pre-existing arrangement. That's putrid. That, along with absolutely no one thinking we have a shot at the tournament and no signs of growth in his coaching is why we should have moved on from Cox after this past season. All we're doing now is killing time and burning money before we get a real coach in the position
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Would be good to know about what happened to the Seton Hall game.
Pushed back a year due to scheduling conflicts
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

A little weaker????
This out of conference schedule is softer than diarrhea, and just about as appetizing
Then don't go, nobody is forcing you to attend.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A little weaker????
Don't worry, I won't be. The women's basketball team is currently a significantly better product, so I'll go to their games instead
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Don't worry, I won't be. The women's basketball team is currently a significantly better product, so I'll go to their games instead
Good and you wont be missed. I am sure you will find something to complain about when watching the Women too. And if you refuse to go to the Men's games your opinion is meaningless if you cant support the program.

Byeeeee. All Fair weather fans please exit the building.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Playing fast and loose with the word “highlighted,” but it’s done, so go rack up some wins-

Why did they delete it?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

Good and you wont be missed. I am sure you will find something to complain about when watching the Women too. And if you refuse to go to the Men's games your opinion is meaningless if you cant support the program.

Byeeeee. All Fair weather fans please exit the building.
People like you who accept any and all slop that are handed to them are the biggest part of the problem. Real fans demand excellence, not just something to do on a weeknight
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Last year’s schedule was brutal. I like this one. Looks like a traditional uri sched the last 20 yrs.
…did you forget about Hurley’s tenure here and the OOC schedules we had with him?

Even that was par for the course. The win over Nebraska? Is that what you’re talking about? That was fun! Is there a non traditional basketball power on the fringe of the top 25 willing to come to URI this year? That wasn’t an every year thing under Hurley. It was an alignment of stars. Which I would guess will happen again in the next 5-10 yrs.

I keep hoping this board won’t be all about Dan Hurley. But for a long time this board was all about all the successful coaches that had come before, so I’m guessing it will be all about DH for years to come. Where Only the height of DH’s accomplishments will be held up as what URI was under DH instead of recognizing that the best of DH’s tenure was the culmination of his work and some things breaking the right way.

Please forgive me for hoping that URI is good this year. And not discounting everything URI does with a statement that DH did it better.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago

Even that was par for the course. The win over Nebraska? Is that what you’re talking about? That was fun! Is there a non traditional basketball power on the fringe of the top 25 willing to come to URI this year? That wasn’t an every year thing under Hurley. It was an alignment of stars. Which I would guess will happen again in the next 5-10 yrs.

I keep hoping this board won’t be all about Dan Hurley. But for a long time this board was all about all the successful coaches that had come before, so I’m guessing it will be all about DH for years to come. Where Only the height of DH’s accomplishments will be held up as what URI was under DH instead of recognizing that the best of DH’s tenure was the culmination of his work and some things breaking the right way.

Please forgive me for hoping that URI is good this year. And not discounting everything URI does with a statement that DH did it better.
I don't think anyone expected us to play a top 25-50 team at home this season. Playing 1 or 2 on the road is completely reasonable, though.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don't think anyone expected us to play a top 25-50 team at home this season. Playing 1 or 2 on the road is completely reasonable, though.
Agree.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am actually okay with this schedule for our current situation. Yes I would of liked Seton Hall but because of timing it didn't work out this season.

Probably no one on this board was behind the scenes to know what went on to get this schedule put together.

Just from previous experience neither Cox nor Thorr walked away from playing quality opponents when given the right opportunity.

I too get very tired of all the DH comparisons, he moved on, get over it already.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

Why did they delete it?
Where was it?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago

Why did they delete it?
Where was it?
It was the tweet from the Rhody MBB account announcing the OOC schedule. It had the graphic with each team and date and highlighted the game with BC. I’m guessing it had a date wrong or something like that.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They took off the Roger Williams exhibition because the game isn’t set in stone yet.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If you really think this years OOC schedule is comparable to the Hurley OOC schedules, you are 100% incorrect.

It’s really not even close.
Go Rhody