Tracking URI Athlete Endorsement Deals

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Tracking URI Athlete Endorsement Deals

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's use this thread to monitor the deals URI athletes sign now that Name, Image & Likeness rules permit such things.

Rhody Football players getting us started!

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Tracking URI Athlete Endorsement Deals

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Video gaming deals make sense. Hope they’re well compensated.
Slava Ukraini!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Allen betrand has a couple.

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This is what I’m talking about. Can we have a big deal waiting in the wings and use it to sign some difference maker. Go! Bring the Rams back!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can't Ryan do something with CVS?
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Too bad Alex & Ani is busto -- that would be perfect for women athletes.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Can't Ryan do something with CVS?
It appears he hasn't been affiliated with CVS since 2011. According to his wikipedia he now serves on the board of directors of Bank of America, Yum! Brands, Five Below, and Vantiv. He is an operating partner of Advent International.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Is this going to turn into Nascar, with endorsements plastered all over the athletes? Probably can't alter the uniform but I could see a shooting sleeve with an endorsement on it. What are the rules going to be on that?So far, mostly seeing the more traditional NIL agreements out there but I see some real exotic ones coming into play with the college kids. There are so many college athletes and only a limited amount of sponsorship dollars.

I am thinking about launching a new way to get revenue to the Rhody players in what would be a pretty cool way...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Aren’t these endorsements separate from the schools? Can’t have logos on jerseys unless the school gets a piece right?
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The kids can't use any marks from the school or league in their marketing activities for these products. So net net they cant be working out in Rhody gear or shown in a uniform or anything like that. Most of the things folks are seeing out there kids are getting hundreds of dollars for or just getting some free product. Does anyone really think a company is paying real money to the 8th best player on Rhody who isn't even playing bc he is hurt to market their product?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The kids can't use any marks from the school or league in their marketing activities for these products. So net net they cant be working out in Rhody gear or shown in a uniform or anything like that. Most of the things folks are seeing out there kids are getting hundreds of dollars for or just getting some free product. Does anyone really think a company is paying real money to the 8th best player on Rhody who isn't even playing bc he is hurt to market their product?
It is a way to support the URI basketball program. How long will it be (actually it already has) before promises of endorsements become a recruiting tool. Hopefully. URI already has with endorsement sponsors lined up for players they are recruiting.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes that will happen but those won’t be endorsement deals they will be pay offs. The money paid to athletes in those scenarios won’t be commiserate to their marketing value to the company. It will be bc a booster wants a better team.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If players can’t wear URI gear in an ad or commercial then they would have to have a recognizable face and name to have any marketing value ((Fatts, Jeff Downtin or Cyril for example). Otherwise, as BAR says, it’s a payoff.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Yes that will happen but those won’t be endorsement deals they will be pay offs. The money paid to athletes in those scenarios won’t be commiserate to their marketing value to the company. It will be bc a booster wants a better team.
Does it matter how it is packaged? No. Recruits will be expecting it, your competition will be offering it, so URI had better have it in their package. You can bet Iona will.
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It’s pretty simple. All the local brands that sponsor the coach can sponsor players. Newport propane and oysters and mews and all kinds of places. And yes it doesn’t have to be a true value thing. Just give the kids $$ to play. The more $ paid will likely result in a better player. Better results. And more actual marketing exposure. Go Rhody.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago It’s pretty simple. All the local brands that sponsor the coach can sponsor players. Newport propane and oysters and mews and all kinds of places. And yes it doesn’t have to be a true value thing. Just give the kids $$ to play. The more $ paid will likely result in a better player. Better results. And more actual marketing exposure. Go Rhody.
Given this rapidly changing NIL landscape, perhaps we’ll have the “Newport Propane Season of Mayhem!” promotion this season.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I couldn't help but speculate... Fatts would have an easier time getting a really solid NIL deal in RI than he would in MD.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I couldn't help but speculate... Fatts would have an easier time getting a really solid NIL deal in RI than he would in MD.
I don't think location matters. His large social media following has intrinsic value to potential sponsors. There's a gymnast at LSU (Olivia Dunne) who has like a million instagram followers and some experts believe NIL rules could make her a millionaire with the endorsements she will get.

https://247sports.com/Article/Olivia-Du ... 167565650/

"Instead, LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne figures to be one of the biggest (if not the top) earners due to her social media activity. With over 5 million combined followers (1.1 million on Instagram, 3.9 million on TikTok), Dunne could turn her online persona into a goldmine. According to Blake Lawrence, CEO of Opendorse, athletes can potentially earn up to $20 per Instagram follower, $3-4 per TikTok follower, $4-7 per YouTube follower, and $10 per every 1,000 Twitter followers."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

That’s where the real money is. Between that and deep-pocketed fans that’s the only way to get rich that I can see in NIL.

Any company can give a kid a few free hats and say “promote this hat on your page with a discount code and we’ll give you a cut of any sales that come through with your code.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I couldn't help but speculate... Fatts would have an easier time getting a really solid NIL deal in RI than he would in MD.
I don't think location matters. His large social media following has intrinsic value to potential sponsors. There's a gymnast at LSU (Olivia Dunne) who has like a million instagram followers and some experts believe NIL rules could make her a millionaire with the endorsements she will get.

"Instead, LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne figures to be one of the biggest (if not the top) earners due to her social media activity. With over 5 million combined followers (1.1 million on Instagram, 3.9 million on TikTok), Dunne could turn her online persona into a goldmine. According to Blake Lawrence, CEO of Opendorse, athletes can potentially earn up to $20 per Instagram follower, $3-4 per TikTok follower, $4-7 per YouTube follower, and $10 per every 1,000 Twitter followers."
Fatts has 20k followers. That isn’t worth a lot to anyone. Yes the athletes that have six and seven figure followings will be able to attract attention of national advertisers but there are so few student athletes that fit the profile of the LSU gymnast. The very elite athletes of the 1% will make some coin, as will the prolific social media creators…still a very small pool of kids in that group. All the rest will be promoting things for free product or just to put out a perception there won’t be a lot of money to be made there IMO.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ans she obviously has all of those followers because she is smoking hot.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Ans she obviously has all of those followers because she is smoking hot.
100%
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Fatts has 20k followers. That isn’t worth a lot to anyone. Yes the athletes that have six and seven figure followings will be able to attract attention of national advertisers but there are so few student athletes that fit the profile of the LSU gymnast. The very elite athletes of the 1% will make some coin, as will the prolific social media creators…still a very small pool of kids in that group. All the rest will be promoting things for free product or just to put out a perception there won’t be a lot of money to be made there IMO.
I'm actually with RJ here
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago That’s where the real money is. Between that and deep-pocketed fans that’s the only way to get rich that I can see in NIL.

Any company can give a kid a few free hats and say “promote this hat on your page with a discount code and we’ll give you a cut of any sales that come through with your code.”
Fatts gets solid interaction on his IG posts. He can be a rep for diet teas or energy drinks or whatever with his own distinct code and that would provide him with a decent paycheck (assuming what he chooses to rep fits his follower demographics).
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I'm actually with RJ here
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago That’s where the real money is. Between that and deep-pocketed fans that’s the only way to get rich that I can see in NIL.

Fatts gets solid interaction on his IG posts. He can be a rep for diet teas or energy drinks or whatever with his own distinct code and that would provide him with a decent paycheck (assuming what he chooses to rep fits his follower demographics).
Just for context...the industry CPM for sponsored IG influencer posts is around $6. Fatts has 20K followers. So the market value of a post from Fatts is $120. That's an awful lot of sponsored content for him to see any amount of meaningful money. If these kids don't have six and seven figure followings the easier money is going to be in autographs, merch, etc. Fatts could make his own line of Limitless tee shirts and shorts and prob make more than doing anything for a sponsor.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

In the end the rich will get richer. The poor will get poorer. Mid majors like URI will continue to get squeezed. There is not one athlete in the entire athletic program that will garner a large endorsement deal. We as fans and supporters should be more concerned with the product on the court then then what is going on in social media.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Just for context...the industry CPM for sponsored IG influencer posts is around $6. Fatts has 20K followers. So the market value of a post from Fatts is $120. That's an awful lot of sponsored content for him to see any amount of meaningful money. If these kids don't have six and seven figure followings the easier money is going to be in autographs, merch, etc. Fatts could make his own line of Limitless tee shirts and shorts and prob make more than doing anything for a sponsor.
I'm definitely not doubting you. I think you've posted a few times in the past about marketing leading me to assume you're in the particular field so I'm asking this out of curiosity so I can learn more about it.

Are you saying the $120/post is the value to Fatts or to the sponsor company (asking who would stand to make the $120)?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Just for context...the industry CPM for sponsored IG influencer posts is around $6. Fatts has 20K followers. So the market value of a post from Fatts is $120. That's an awful lot of sponsored content for him to see any amount of meaningful money. If these kids don't have six and seven figure followings the easier money is going to be in autographs, merch, etc. Fatts could make his own line of Limitless tee shirts and shorts and prob make more than doing anything for a sponsor.
I'm definitely not doubting you. I think you've posted a few times in the past about marketing leading me to assume you're in the particular field so I'm asking this out of curiosity so I can learn more about it.

Are you saying the $120/post is the value to Fatts or to the sponsor company (asking who would stand to make the $120)?
It's not an exact science bc there is some arbitrary values at times thrown on things in the space...but $120 is the rate Fatts could charge a company for 1 sponsored post on his feed. So that would be the money in his pocket. Fatts could decide I am not going to do anything for less than $500 and arbitrarily make that his opening quote and set the value himself. But based on generally accepted industry standards that $6 per 1,000 followers is a benchmark. Someone with 100,000 followers could quote upwards of 6K for a sponsored post and so on and so on. Some of these platforms that have popped up (ie Opendorse) are registering athletes to them and creating marketplaces and are using these types of benchmarks to create a rate card so to speak...x dollars for a post from this person, Y for a post from this one, and so on and so on. Its the wild wild west right now, but I think a lot of the media and fans are overestimating what 99% of these kids will actually earn via their NIL.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Didn't read all of the above...but I'm guessing Fatts could still make more in RI area endorsements than MD...even during this season.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Didn't read all of the above...but I'm guessing Fatts could still make more in RI area endorsements than MD...even during this season.
Eh, sure, but it's probably negligible. I can't remember if it was Bruschi or some offensive lineman who was schilling for some yard work company in Rhode Island at some point, but he was probably getting four or five figures for those TV spots. If Fatts was only concerned about cash, he probably wouldn't be at Maryland to begin with, since I'm sure he's got offers to play overseas for good money by this point.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Didn't read all of the above...but I'm guessing Fatts could still make more in RI area endorsements than MD...even during this season.
That's what I'm sayin
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Fatts will be working with team society for his NIL/Branding.

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts will be working with team society for his NIL/Branding.

Not for anything, but their graphics team messed up with this edit...

That is a very unfortunate place to drop in the turtle...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A good reason to stay in school? Bryce Jones, QB at Alabama, more than likely will make more money than last year's Alabama QB, Patriot Mac Jones.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts will be working with team society for his NIL/Branding.

Now we see why Fatts left us...
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

I am a bit confused regarding your post.... Are you implying that Team Society is some how linked to UMD which caused Fatts to transfer? In no way would I say that Ricky/Team Society are in any way related to UMD.

Or are you saying that Maryland offers an increased opportunity for NIL? If that is the cases, then I could agree with that statement.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

I am a bit confused regarding your post.... Are you implying that Team Society is some how linked to UMD which caused Fatts to transfer? In no way would I say that Ricky/Team Society are in any way related to UMD.

Or are you saying that Maryland offers an increased opportunity for NIL? If that is the cases, then I could agree with that statement.
I'm saying Fatts obviously likes turtles more than we could have ever imagined..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm saying Fatts obviously likes turtles more than we could have ever imagined..
Look at the position of the turtle below the “4” on Russell’s shirt. That’s why the references to the graphics department. Downright weird.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But of course if it helps his 3 point shooting…………..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy stuff. QB leaving HS early for Ohio State to capitalize on NIL

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nations-to ... 09921.html
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Crazy stuff. QB leaving HS early for Ohio State to capitalize on NIL

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nations-to ... 09921.html
you can't say this is a surprise?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Opendorse, the largest platform facilitating NIL deals between companies and athletes, just released their July data.

1 athlete made six figures...the average monthly revenue per athlete was 470 dollars. Annualized that's 5k/year. About what people expected in terms of the market/demand. NCAA could have made this all a non starter by simply providing a 15-20K additional stipend to every D1 athlete. Or every D1 athlete in a revenue generating sport. That is more than 99% of them will make in the open market. Let the other 1% go pro/g league and remove the age restriction.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Perhaps points to haves vs have nots?

How many kids have “endorsements” where they post on social media and say “Buy this and use my discount code.”

That’s not really an endorsement - that’s a company giving a player a cut of sales they generate.

A kid who has 5k followers on social media and gets 10 of them to buy some goofy hat or water bottle might have just made $50. Yuppie!

That’s different than the programs where kids are getting some nice $$$ for “advertising.”

Most schools won’t see players getting a major bump. The elite likely will.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Perhaps points to haves vs have nots?

How many kids have “endorsements” where they post on social media and say “Buy this and use my discount code.”

That’s not really an endorsement - that’s a company giving a player a cut of sales they generate.

A kid who has 5k followers on social media and gets 10 of them to buy some goofy hat or water bottle might have just made $50. Yuppie!

That’s different than the programs where kids are getting some nice $$$ for “advertising.”

Yeah I mean that's the point...the very very few elite guys/gals, with national profiles, could get significant coin from national companies.
Everyone else is fighting for the scraps. There are a bunch of university compliance folks telling their athletes to not do anything for more than $400 to avoid any tax implication. Net net, besides a few athletes its gonna be small potatoes for everyone else. The impact is going to be minimal for kids at PC, URI and even places like Uconn (besides Paigey Buckets!). The demand was always overstated, largely by the sports media, who don't understand this business.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Perhaps points to haves vs have nots?

And agreed those relationships aren't endorsements, that is affiliate marketing 101. Companies hand those relationships out at will bc it doesn't cost anything. But there aren't many athletes who will make anything significant from those types of tie ups.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess boosters could pay a recruit $50 per week for a weekly post saying how great a school URI is to attend and play basketball. Perhaps this Board could sponsor such a payment. We could probably raise $2500/year from Board members in support of URI Basketball, We could probably do this for multiple recruits.
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I guess boosters could pay a recruit $50 per week for a weekly post saying how great a school URI is to attend and play basketball. Perhaps this Board could sponsor such a payment. We could probably raise $2500/year from Board members in support of URI Basketball, We could probably do this for multiple recruits.
See this example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 8005537002
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This is the future of big-time college athletics. If URI wants to play, then boosters need to step up and pay. I saw this coming as soon as they changed the rule. Many schools will become D3 in time. For many academic institutions this may not be a bad thing. Who will be the winning leaders, and who will be the losing laggards?
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

He's saying Fatts looks especially excited.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not gonna lie...kind of tempted to grab a Fatts hoodie!

https://campusmogul.com/collections/fatts-russell