NOV 6 (SAT) AT MASSACHUSETTS
NOV 13 (SAT) 1:00 PM VS NEW HAMPSHIRE
NOV 20 (SAT) 2:00 PM AT ELON
Brian Forster
ARD

Re: 2021 URI Fall Football Season

Unread post by Brian Forster »

they have a lot to sell.
Chance to get off to a good start with the schedule.
A chance.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 2021 Fall Schedule - Home Games in Blue

SEP 4 (SAT) 6:00 PM VS BRYANT
SEP 11 (SAT) AT ALBANY
SEP 18 (SAT) AT BROWN
OCT 2 (SAT) 12:00 PM VS STONY BROOK
OCT 9 (SAT) 1:00 PM VS DELAWARE
OCT 16 (SAT) AT TOWSON
OCT 23 (SAT) AT VILLANOVA
OCT 30 (SAT) 1:00 PM VS MAINE
When are they gonna use them lights?! One evening football game this year...2 two seasons ago.
Understood there's been a pandy going on, but now let's get some use from those lights and schedule some concerts....
Brian Forster
ARD

NYG-great question.
I gave $$ for something we are not even using.
Bet they have HC and family day scheduled same game also.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wondering if the opponent has to agree to night games? Only night game scheduled right now at home is the Bryant game on Sept 4 at 6pm
Also is possible that the times are still preliminary - could be changed to a night game later on? Note that only the Elon game has a designated time at 2pm while Albany, Brown, Towson, Villanova and UMASS do not have times designated as yet.
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-good points,lets hope so.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

SEP 11 (SAT) AT ALBANY
SEP 18 (SAT) AT BROWN
OCT 16 (SAT) AT TOWSON
When are they gonna use them lights?! One evening football game this year...2 two seasons ago.
Understood there's been a pandy going on, but now let's get some use from those lights and schedule some concerts....
Excellent point. I kind of get why they might not want to play the October 30 and November 13 games at night: potential cold temperature issues. The October 2 game would be perfect for a 6 PM or a 7 PM start, though. I’m going to assume October 9 will be the Homecoming/Parent Weekend game. I figure that will always be a day game because of activities scheduled after it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Still need that buy game in there
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The buy game is UMASS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

SEP 11 (SAT) AT ALBANY
SEP 18 (SAT) AT BROWN
OCT 16 (SAT) AT TOWSON
Excellent point. I kind of get why they might not want to play the October 30 and November 13 games at night: potential cold temperature issues. The October 2 game would be perfect for a 6 PM or a 7 PM start, though. I’m going to assume October 9 will be the Homecoming/Parent Weekend game. I figure that will always be a day game because of activities scheduled after it.
Alumni and Family Weekend game will be against Stony Brook 10/2. First game is a night game, second game is homecoming so you'll want that during the day like you said, third game is Columbus Day weekend so maybe there's something about that why they scheduled it during the day, then third and fourth games would be too cold to have night games
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Alumni and Family Weekend game will be against Stony Brook 10/2. First game is a night game, second game is homecoming so you'll want that during the day like you said, third game is Columbus Day weekend so maybe there's something about that why they scheduled it during the day, then third and fourth games would be too cold to have night games
"Too cold to have night games" Sad. Very sad.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I look at it from a marketing department standpoint: what can they do to maximize attendance. While it may not be too cold on those weekends, this is not like the Patriots, where 100% of the tickets are sold well in advance and fans will go regardless. Many people would wait until game day to decide if they were going to attend a Rhody game and weather could be a factor. Many people may prefer a sunny late fall day.
Hell, I remember it was frigid at the Villanova game in 2017. I probably wouldn’t have gone if that game was played at night.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I look at it from a marketing department standpoint: what can they do to maximize attendance. While it may not be too cold on those weekends, this is not like the Patriots, where 100% of the tickets are sold well in advance and fans will go regardless. Many people would wait until game day to decide if they were going to attend a Rhody game and weather could be a factor. Many people may prefer a sunny late fall day.
Hell, I remember it was frigid at the Villanova game in 2017. I probably wouldn’t have gone if that game was played at night.
So why did we buy lights?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

For that yuge matchup vs. Bryant.... (smh)
And, if that's the case...if we go through all of 2021...and the lights only go on for Bryant....what a freekn waste o' money.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I presume to have the option to have night games. At least according to the website for Meade, they were part of a $4.1M project that also upgraded the field. I imagine the turf cost more than the lights, but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the costs there, and the expected lifespan of the lights. Obviously, if they were a low cost option, or an option that'll last a long time, you might as well throw them in so you have more options when it comes to game times and scheduling.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

I presume to have the option to have night games. At least according to the website for Meade, they were part of a $4.1M project that also upgraded the field. I imagine the turf cost more than the lights, but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the costs there, and the expected lifespan of the lights. Obviously, if they were a low cost option, or an option that'll last a long time, you might as well throw them in so you have more options when it comes to game times and scheduling.
According to the original articles the costs were even
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

According to the original articles the costs were even. I'd expect the donor of the money for the lights might also be asking why only 1 night game all season vs Bryant at 6pm. At least I know I would be asking.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

That first night game against the Hens was electric!
(See what I did there?)
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB »

According to the original articles the costs were even. I'd expect the donor of the money for the lights might also be asking why only 1 night game all season vs Bryant at 6pm. At least I know I would be asking.
Part of the $4.1M went towards raising the former field which they didn’t anticipate, then adding the turf.

One of the donors is the father of our former starting QB, given his net worth, I think he’ll be fine. But I agree, why have the lights if you’re not going to use them.

Speaking of boosters, the 5th Qtr Club has been non existent for years . There have been no fundraising activities since the last golf outing in ‘19. We desperately need to raise funds for a new college level score board, locker room upgrades and put a plan together to address the pathetic west side bleachers/grandstand. The only thing that gets upgraded are the uniforms. We can’t rely solely on the same rich guys to write checks for lights, it needs to be a collective effort.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster
ARD

"Speaking of boosters, the 5th Qtr Club has been non existent for years . There have been no fundraising activities since the last golf outing in ‘19. We desperately need to raise funds for a new college level score board, locker room upgrades and put a plan together to address the pathetic west side bleachers/grandstand. The only thing that gets upgraded are the uniforms. We can’t rely solely on the same rich guys to write checks for lights, it needs to be a collective effort.'

The boosters club functions was switched to being done internally as felt it was more effective to have people do it full time plus the advancement of online communication. Most I have spoken to feel this is a good thing as I would bet $100 to FB that donations have gone up since. New scoreboard was going in paid for by Learfield,but was put on hold due to obvious Covid impact on advertising revenues. During covid six figures was donated for summer school for the players. Also,FB was by far the leader in donations on the day of giving again during Covid? I don't know what your expectations are during the pandemic but would say above was pretty good. I agree on the lack of night games and holding HC and family day same game. It has to impact revenue. You mean the East stands? The west stands are great. Can't speak to the locker rooms,what's going on there?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

FmrRamFB wrote: 2 years ago

Part of the $4.1M went towards raising the former field which they didn’t anticipate, then adding the turf.

One of the donors is the father of our former starting QB, given his net worth, I think he’ll be fine. But I agree, why have the lights if you’re not going to use them.

Speaking of boosters, the 5th Qtr Club has been non existent for years . There have been no fundraising activities since the last golf outing in ‘19. We desperately need to raise funds for a new college level score board, locker room upgrades and put a plan together to address the pathetic west side bleachers/grandstand. The only thing that gets upgraded are the uniforms. We can’t rely solely on the same rich guys to write checks for lights, it needs to be a collective effort.
My understanding was the lights were paid for by the university and not the boosters and that was primarily so intramurals could be played on the new turf field and other events held, while obviously giving flexibility for football to hold night games.

I'm honestly not sure what the obsession is with night games here, is it just because we couldn't have them before? If we were allowed to tailgate all day before a night game that would be one thing, but with the lots opening only three hours before game time afternoon games are significantly better. You get the same amount of tailgating in, you have the football game, then a ton of time for post game activities
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster
ARD

The university agreed to pay for them maintenance?
Regardless,the boosters did all the heavy lifting.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

To me the 4pm start would be a nice option with the lights going on at “X” time based upon the date of the game and time of dusk/sunset. Still leaves most of us time after the game to grab a late dinner or just join a couple buddies for a after game drink.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Camp started at URI
Photo from Thursday afternoon
Can’t wait for URI Fall Football Season
Field looks great with people on it :D
B633693E-E99A-4740-999C-B78156DAB796.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last week Brown announced they are switching to field turf and that the surface would be ready for when we play up there on September 18th for their season opener. They've already started ripping up the grass surface. The following article shows a rendering of what the field should look like when done and gives a link to a live view of the project

https://brownbears.com/news/2021/6/8/fo ... adium.aspx
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
One thing is certain this staff can recruit. Now we gotta win. This should be, I said should be, a fun fall of football for Rhody fans. Lots to be excited about.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Athlon Sports has us in their #26-#35 just outside the top 25 group and lists our home game against #5 Delaware as one of Delaware's three biggest games of the season:

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... op-25-2021
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Athlon Sports has us in their #26-#35 just outside the top 25 group and lists our home game against #5 Delaware as one of Delaware's three biggest games of the season:

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... op-25-2021
This poll is ridiculous. You know it’s foolish when 0-1 UNH is ranked and Albany is ahead of us. It will be interesting to see where we end up on the STATS FCS rankings.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
One thing is certain this staff can recruit. Now we gotta win. This should be, I said should be, a fun fall of football for Rhody fans. Lots to be excited about.
Well I have to think if they give the ball to this guy and Kevin Brown they'll win some games.

Thinking nobody has better backs in the CAA right now.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Last week Brown announced they are switching to field turf and that the surface would be ready for when we play up there on September 18th for their season opener. They've already started ripping up the grass surface. The following article shows a rendering of what the field should look like when done and gives a link to a live view of the project

https://brownbears.com/news/2021/6/8/fo ... adium.aspx
That game now has a 12:30 start time
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

Agreed, no buzz at all. All 22 starters returning, transfers that were ineligible this spring can now play in the fall and potentially the best running back duo in program history…yet very few care.
Brian Forster
ARD

Agreed, no buzz at al

That's not true.
There's a huge reunion for the bryant game. Guys are coming out of the woodwork.
Going to be a very large crowd. I will put the support and $$ donors for FB up against any sport at Rhody

Could the school do a better job promoting sure,but to say there is no buzz??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FmrRamFB wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, no buzz at all. All 22 starters returning, transfers that were ineligible this spring can now play in the fall and potentially the best running back duo in program history…yet very few care.
When you say “agreed” who are you referring to? I did not see a previous poster saying “no buzz at all” but maybe I missed it
When you say “very few care” are you referring to posters in KesneyBlue? Students on campus? URI Ram season ticket holders? Local sports media coverage?
All of the above?

Just trying to understand your basis for saying this “no buzz at all” thing.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Getting back to the lights discussion, when I heard about this, my thoughts included, they can have a few weekend night concerts to generate some revenue and give students something to do. They could also have the occasional post game concert to bring in more fans. My school did the latter a couple of times and it did drive attendance up.
Athletics and marketing need to work together to take advantage of having lights.
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, no buzz at al

That's not true.
There's a huge reunion for the bryant game. Guys are coming out of the woodwork.
Going to be a very large crowd. I will put the support and $$ donors for FB up against any sport at Rhody

Wouldn't a better use of alumni coming back be used at a game against a conference opponent, like Deleware? That's where they'll need the crowd and energy from alumni/previous players in the stands.

The season opener will be packed stands no matter what, kids are back on campus, Fall day and it should be an easier chance to win against an NEC school, right?
Brian Forster
ARD

think the Delaware game is scheduled for HC or family day?
The best thing to happen is for Rams to finally get off to a good start. Say 3-1.
Attendance will boost from there (take care of itself) . Guys will come back. Ex players seem to float in and out of events. Let's get some traction by winning . People then come out of the woodwork. Look at WBB.
The early part of schedule appears on paper,more manageable than in past. That assumption does not always apply to Rhody.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

FmrRamFB wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, no buzz at all. All 22 starters returning, transfers that were ineligible this spring can now play in the fall and potentially the best running back duo in program history…yet very few care.
In fairness, that signature is related to the basketball program but carries over to every post I've ever made on any part of the forum
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago think the Delaware game is scheduled for HC or family day?
The best thing to happen is for Rams to finally get off to a good start. Say 3-1.
Attendance will boost from there (take care of itself) . Guys will come back. Ex players seem to float in and out of events. Let's get some traction by winning . People then come out of the woodwork. Look at WBB.
The early part of schedule appears on paper,more manageable than in past. That assumption does not always apply to Rhody.
Alumni and Family Weekend is the weekend before against Stony Brook
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, no buzz at al

That's not true.

You didn't even know when Alumni and Family Weekend was. Does anybody know when summer practices start? Does anyone know the head coach's contract situation? When was the last story done by a local TV station or paper? That's not exactly indicative of a ton of buzz.
Brian Forster
ARD

I go to to the the games anyways,Rhowdy-unlike you. Doesn't matter to me or most season tix holders.
Maybe they could start charging for posts on this board?
A penny for your thoughts. (because you wouldn't get a nickel for them)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Want to give us any more betting advice Hal Kopp? What's hilarious is that you thought by changing your name you'd get away from people making fun of you for that but because your posting has always been so shallow and basic everyone was able to see right through you
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Interesting first public partnership. Closest location to campus is Providence and seems like the closest to his hometown is about 12 miles away. I expected more local ones like Mews and so on
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »