The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Good landing spot for him and relatively close to home.

At this time not sure of our interest in any other transfers or recruits for this season.

We may be standing pat unless we have additional departures.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Ramster, I believe he played 1 year (18-19) plus 6 games (19-20) at Georgetown, then a year at LSU.

The no-sit rule only applies to one time transfers.
One time transfers moving forward as I understand it.

Do you are telling me that a player who transferred in the past, sat out a year then played at a new school must sit out a year again?

I thought anyone who played this past season can transfer and be immediately eligible. No?

If not I see lawsuits coming which is the driving factor for the NCAA changing the rule in the first place to coincide with other campus sports.
Yes, I believe that is how it is interpreted and the no sit rule doesn't apply to athletes that transferred in the past.
See below.
I believe LeBlanc was granted a waiver, because he transferred close to home at LSU and left Georgetown under bad circumstances.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... demic-year

The players who entered the portal were advised and had the understanding if they would qualify under the new rule.

Even though the twins transferred here prior to the rule change, if they decided to enter the portal again they would need to be granted a waiver to be immediately eligible.
Are you sure?
I thought last year was a Covid exception.
I thought Makhi Mitchell, Markhel Mitchell, Carey, Martin and Betrand could all transfer from URI without sitting out a year. So you are saying they all would need an NCAA Waiver to avoid sitting out if they chose to leave URI?
Surprise to me. Not sure all 5 of these players would have decided to play last year. I thought there was no disadvantage.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

One time transfers moving forward as I understand it.

Do you are telling me that a player who transferred in the past, sat out a year then played at a new school must sit out a year again?

I thought anyone who played this past season can transfer and be immediately eligible. No?

If not I see lawsuits coming which is the driving factor for the NCAA changing the rule in the first place to coincide with other campus sports.
Yes, I believe that is how it is interpreted and the no sit rule doesn't apply to athletes that transferred in the past.
See below.
I believe LeBlanc was granted a waiver, because he transferred close to home at LSU and left Georgetown under bad circumstances.

The players who entered the portal were advised and had the understanding if they would qualify under the new rule.

Even though the twins transferred here prior to the rule change, if they decided to enter the portal again they would need to be granted a waiver to be immediately eligible.
Are you sure?
I thought Makhi Mitchell, Markhel Mitchell, Carey, Martin and Betrand could all transfer from URI without sitting out a year. So you are saying they all would need an NCAA Waiver to avoid sitting out if they chose to leave URI?
Surprise to me. Not sure all 5 of these players would have decided to play last year. I thought there was no disadvantage.
Ramster not 100% sure, but close.
There was no disadvantage for them playing, it was free year regardless.

Below from SI article:
"Current athletes who have already transferred during their careers do not qualify under the new rule—they cannot transfer again and be immediately eligible without filing a waiver. The NCAA will continue using a waiver system for individual transfer requests from athletes who have already moved schools once and are seeking immediate eligibility, but the waiver criteria is expected to be more stringent."

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/14/n ... basketball

So yes our transfers would have to apply for a waiver if they leave and want immediate eligibilty.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Give me an example of someone who has transferred two years in a row and is eligible immediately
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

See below.

Are you sure?
That’s my point. It was a free year. If it was not a free year with the ability to still have the “transfer without sitting in their back pocket” maybe some would not have opted to play. Maybe I’m wrong but I still think Mitchell’s, Martin, Carey and Betrand can transfer without sitting out.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Give me an example of someone who has transferred two years in a row and is eligible immediately
Josh LeBlanc will be one if he plays in November which I expect he will. Transferred from Georgetown to LSU, played last year and is transferring again. I’ll look for more examples.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Give me an example of someone who has transferred two years in a row and is eligible immediately
Josh LeBlanc will be one if he plays in November which I expect he will. Transferred from Georgetown to LSU, played last year and is transferring again. I’ll look for more examples.
There is a chance he may be able to play in November as with other multiple transfers, but I believe they would have to go through the waiver process to be immediately eligible.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Are you sure?
That’s my point. It was a free year. If it was not a free year with the ability to still have the “transfer without sitting in their back pocket” maybe some would not have opted to play. Maybe I’m wrong but I still think Mitchell’s, Martin, Carey and Betrand can transfer without sitting out.
It was a free year regarding immediate eligibility and getting an additional year, but they still have to conform to the transfer rules.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does t sound as free as I thought it was
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Does t sound as free as I thought it was
Actually Ramster it probably works to our benefit, because these players would be less apt to transfer again and have to go through the waiver process.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He would be an immediate impact player as a grad transfer.

Good size at guard (6'5") and stats 14.3 pts/2.5 assists.

He is from Brooklyn/NY and a former 4* recruit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually Ramster it probably works to our benefit, because these players would be less apt to transfer again and have to go through the waiver process.
True,
But doesn’t work to the players benefit
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

True,
They are still better off than prior to the rule, at least they can transfer once without the possibility of sitting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True,
They are still better off than prior to the rule, at least they can transfer once without the possibility of sitting.
True. The rule change came from mounting lawsuits. All sports do not have equal transfer rules. One day all of the college sports will have the same transfer rules - just a matter of time, and lawsuits. NCAA is losing control just like the recent 9-0 Supreme Court decision indicates for NIL.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The transfers to URI knew what they were doing
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not a shot in hell. We are stocked at the guard spot. No more minutes
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, I agree and don't see him coming here.

I didn't make myself clear, meaning I can see him being an impact player wherever he ends up.

I think the A10 or BE would be a good landing spot, possibly even a P5 school in need of guard help.

VCU and Dayton can both use quality/veteran backcourt help, but not sure if they still have any openings.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Biggest bust in URI history.

Good luck and goodbye.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Biggest bust in URI history.

Good luck and goodbye.
This guy (Rhody15) just couldn't help himself, could he?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I brought his name up almost a year ago prior to him stepping on campus at Penn State.
Abdou Tsimbila has good size at 6'8" 235 lbs. and would be a redshirt freshman.
He played very little last season, but has good potential and would add depth in the frontcourt.
He is from the DMV and was a 3*, recruited by several A10 schools ( GW, George Mason, Bonnies).
Not sure of the interest level on either side.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ish Leggett is now the only recruit who has appeared in a game for Rhody.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If I'm not mistaken, this now means Cox is 0 for 8 between the 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles in retaining HS recruits (non-transfer). I understand the transfer landscape has shifted, but you can't build a culture/program if you literally can't retain your own guys.

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 2 years ago If I'm not mistaken, this now means Cox is 0 for 8 between the 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles in retaining HS recruits (non-transfer). I understand the transfer landscape has shifted, but you can't build a culture/program if you literally can't retain your own guys.

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
I’d argue the bigger issue here seems to be evaluating HS talent rather than keeping it. How many of the guys on this list would you even still want in a URI uniform? 2?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago If I'm not mistaken, this now means Cox is 0 for 8 between the 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles in retaining HS recruits (non-transfer). I understand the transfer landscape has shifted, but you can't build a culture/program if you literally can't retain your own guys.

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
I am okay with it, and comfortable with how he constructed the roster (at least for now).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
I am okay with it, and comfortable with how he constructed the roster (at least for now).
Seriously?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
I’d argue the bigger issue here seems to be evaluating HS talent rather than keeping it. How many of the guys on this list would you even still want in a URI uniform? 2?
Fair point, Tyrese and Toppin are the only two guys I'd like to have back. The poor talent evaluation and subsequent lack of retention from these two classes is glaring, especially when factoring in URI was riding the wave of back to back Round of 32 appearances.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

STC wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
Fair point, Tyrese and Toppin are the only two guys I'd like to have back. The poor talent evaluation and subsequent lack of retention from these two classes is glaring, especially when factoring in URI was riding the wave of back to back Round of 32 appearances.
Ya I mean most people on this board I think could agree on this. Tyrese and Toppin are the only two you’d even want here. And they got offers from Uconn and Kentucky. Welcome to modern day college basketball. We didn’t lose them to slightly better mid majors or low power 5 teams. They went to true college basketball blue bloods.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
Seriously?
Absolutely, as I said for now.

I want to see how this core group performs going forward before throwing stones.

The biggest swap this season was Bozeman for Sutton, which I think is an upgrade.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seriously?

I want to see how this core group performs going forward before throwing stones.

The biggest swap this season was Bozeman for Sutton, which I think is an upgrade.
What?

How are you OK with a coach who cannot evaluate high school talent/recruits? So much of college basketball is recruiting.

I get that it's a new time and transfers will be a key component moving forward, but that shouldn't be 100% of your roster. You have to be able to recruit/retain a core, and no joke Cox is yet to keep ONE recruited player not named Jermaine Harris here for more than 2 seasons. IN THREE CONSECUTIVE CLASSES. How can you feel confident if every single season you have to roll the dice on what the transfer portal is going to present you if you can't keep a core roster together?

I mean this board pretty much excused most of our recent failings as an issue of "needing more time to gel" so now we need to be OK with getting a brand new roster every 2 years? Do we get to keep hearing the "they need more time to gel" excuse every time our roster resets at the end of a season?

There are literally ZERO players on the 2021 roster who finished the year on the 2019 roster. Only 3 graduated. THREE.

It's a brave new world with this transfer rule...but cmon, at some point this is a fair criticism to lay at the feet of the head coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Seriously?

What?

How are you OK with a coach who cannot evaluate high school talent/recruits? So much of college basketball is recruiting.

I get that it's a new time and transfers will be a key component moving forward, but that shouldn't be 100% of your roster. You have to be able to recruit/retain a core, and no joke Cox is yet to keep ONE recruited player not named Jermaine Harris here for more than 2 seasons. IN THREE CONSECUTIVE CLASSES. How can you feel confident if every single season you have to roll the dice on what the transfer portal is going to present you if you can't keep a core roster together?

I mean this board pretty much excused most of our recent failings as an issue of "needing more time to gel" so now we need to be OK with getting a brand new roster every 2 years? Do we get to keep hearing the "they need more time to gel" excuse every time our roster resets at the end of a season?

There are literally ZERO players on the 2021 roster who finished the year on the 2019 roster. Only 3 graduated. THREE.

It's a brave new world with this transfer rule...but cmon, at some point this is a fair criticism to lay at the feet of the head coach.
I was a little discouraged at first also, but after evaluating things I am okay with what transpired.

I still think Cox did a great job reconstructing the roster, wasn't you who said 'Best Team Ever" and I was the one talking you down from that.

Let's see if he can keep the current core together and where we go with it.

The college athletic landscape has changed, so keep your seatbelt on.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seriously?

An even bigger swap would have been Bozeman for Cox. This "core" of transfers isn't going to work. If Cox can't recruit and keep good players, he needs to be shown the door.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Seriously?

An even bigger swap would have been Bozeman for Cox. This "core" of transfers isn't going to work. If Cox can't recruit and keep good players, he needs to be shown the door.
Have a little more patience Blueram, Cox is still a relatively new HC and these haven't been exactly normal circumstances.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
I'd add Long to this as well - not as talented or flashy as Martin or Toppin, but the type of under the radar hard nosed player you need on a successful team.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Seriously?

What?

He's also shown he's not very good at 'gelling'.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think all of the transfers make sense when you look at them individually, but collectively, they reflect poorly on either Cox's development skills, his ability to retain recruits from year to year, or scouting. That's worrisome. If you want to be negative or positive on Cox, you can find reasons to support either side of the argument right now, but I don't think he's going to be given the benefit of the doubt if he has another year in 2021-2022 like this one.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This year should be the make or break if we finish .500 or slightly above a change is most likely coming
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It's ironic that he got the job because the majority of this board was gaga over the recruiting class and not developing nor retaining any of them could lead to his demise. There is a lesson to be learned here. Ideally you want a coach that can both recruit and develop talent but given the choice, it always better to have the latter.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Cockburn? In the portal?

Where is URI with NIL going live?? I don’t see anything. Get these kids some endorsements.

Back to Cockburn, sign him to cvs and slap a URI jersey on his back.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Cockburn? In the portal?

Where is URI with NIL going live?? I don’t see anything. Get these kids some endorsements.

Lol Cockburn and the twins...
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think any school has publicly addressed/associated with these endorsements today.

Sure the top 20-50 influential athletes in the country will get national brand deals, but besides that who is paying a kid at a state school with a couple thousand followers? Noah Fernandes at UMASS is a good example of what a URI player can expect - a deal with a local moving company
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
In 2018 you left out Brandon Adams (replaced by Omar) and Aris Tsourgiannis, so basically 0 for 9.5. And that's just his guys, it doesn't count the inherited guys that didn't finish here
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don’t think any school has publicly addressed/associated with these endorsements today.

Sure the top 20-50 influential athletes in the country will get national brand deals, but besides that who is paying a kid at a state school with a couple thousand followers? Noah Fernandes at UMASS is a good example of what a URI player can expect - a deal with a local moving company
Yea I’m kidding about cvs but also it wouldn’t hurt to be out front with a big brand. I’m sure big sports apparel brands will quickly sign kids within the month.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
In 2018 you left out Brandon Adams (replaced by Omar) and Aris Tsourgiannis, so basically 0 for 9.5. And that's just his guys, it doesn't count the inherited guys that didn't finish here
I feel like Harris was the only player of those 8 that was open to working within a team
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

.. think we should be thinking of who would play the small forward or third guard- aside from Martin , we are hoping Carey , or Inexperienced Tres or freshman Ileyero. Sure hope Cox is looking hard at this need !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Waiver process still in place.
Same thing likely to happen with whoever lands LeBlanc, who played with this player at Georgetown when they both got in trouble there.

Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 2 years ago It's ironic that he got the job because the majority of this board was gaga over the recruiting class and not developing nor retaining any of them could lead to his demise. There is a lesson to be learned here. Ideally you want a coach that can both recruit and develop talent but given the choice, it always better to have the latter.
Didn't Cox get the job because of a clause Slithering Sleazy Snake Hurley had written into Cox's contract? IIRC, the clause said that if URI didn't hire Cox in the event SSSH left Cox was entitled to a six-figure payout.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
Not a freshman, but DJ is a guy who took up a scholarship for two years, played only one, and then dropped down to a more appropriate level. Staffs have to value roster spots. Players transferring out tend to leave unexpected openings, many of which have to be filled late. If you’re happy a guy left, it’s a recruiting issue. If you’re mad, it’s more of a player retention/development concern. The transfer rules may make it easier to not miss on a late addition because there’s at least some college experience to see, but if that’s the way they’re going to go, the staff needs to adjust more quickly to optimize the talent.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago

2018:
Jermaine Harris
Dana Tate
Tyrese Martin
Omar Silverio

2019:
Mekhi Long
Greg Hammond
Marial Mading
Jacob Toppin
Not a freshman, but DJ is a guy who took up a scholarship for two years, played only one, and then dropped down to a more appropriate level. Staffs have to value roster spots. Players transferring out tend to leave unexpected openings, many of which have to be filled late. If you’re happy a guy left, it’s a recruiting issue. If you’re mad, it’s more of a player retention/development concern. The transfer rules may make it easier to not miss on a late addition because there’s at least some college experience to see, but if that’s the way they’re going to go, the staff needs to adjust more quickly to optimize the talent.
Exactly. The Brandon Adams to Omar Silverio transition is the perfect example of that. By having excessive transfers even within this current environment the staff has constantly been chasing players and in many cases that leads to more transfers further down the line because you're bringing in back up plans or late signings that you might not have previously believed could play at this level
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 2 years ago It's ironic that he got the job because the majority of this board was gaga over the recruiting class and not developing nor retaining any of them could lead to his demise. There is a lesson to be learned here. Ideally you want a coach that can both recruit and develop talent but given the choice, it always better to have the latter.
Didn't Cox get the job because of a clause Slithering Sleazy Snake Hurley had written into Cox's contract? IIRC, the clause said that if URI didn't hire Cox in the event SSSH left Cox was entitled to a six-figure payout.
How is that Hurley's fault? He didn't sneak into Mackal late one night and swap contracts and say you've got no choice but to hire him now if I leave. Thorr didn't have to agree to add that clause and/or could have had a lower buyout
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago

Yea I’m kidding about cvs but also it wouldn’t hurt to be out front with a big brand. I’m sure big sports apparel brands will quickly sign kids within the month.
You are on the right track — I read an article last night identifying the opportunities for 4 different football programs:

USC: It’s a no-brainer for the Trojans to use their location, the heart of Los Angeles, to their advantage. Having studios, entertainment, media, marketing agencies and everything in between located near campus is a huge advantage, and the staff is incorporating that into their plans for their student-athletes.

“I talk about LeBron (James) all the time. Why did LeBron come here (to Los Angeles) for that final move?” Harris said. “He was already on the mountain top of brand building, but he still wanted to see it explode off the court.”

USC has invested in its staff, the in-house creative team and with outside agencies to ensure the athletes are fully supported. More than that, they’ve embraced the atmosphere around them and the idea their student-athletes not only can thrive in Los Angeles, but that they should thrive there, and that it’s the athletic department’s job to help them grow that brand.

Georgia Tech: Similar to USC, Georgia Tech wants to use its location to its advantage. The staff believes it will be able to utilize some of the Fortune 500 companies in Atlanta to help student-athletes gain endorsement deals.

Some of those companies may look to use big-name players from Alabama or other schools, but Georgia Tech thinks its locality will give its players an edge. The athletic department already has relationships with companies like Delta, TNT, Accenture and NASA, as some of their players have completed internships with them.

Georgia Tech’s staff is teaching players how to maximize engagement on social media and how to capitalize off of opportunities even if they aren’t at a school like Alabama or Clemson. Those schools, in Georgia Tech’s eyes, sell themselves on having the biggest fanbases. However, that doesn’t always mean their players will have the biggest social media followings. The Yellow Jackets believe presence, engagement and having an alumni base with powerful CEOs and other businesspeople will create more LeBrons than Ronaldos.

Nebraska: There are no major professional sports teams in Nebraska, which means the college athletes are the main attraction. That’s a big deal for Nebraska’s student-athletes and the opportunities they could have from local companies and businesses around the state and surrounding areas.

With no other competition in the sports market, the Nebraska staff can pitch its student-athletes as if they were the pro sports teams. Local commercials, endorsements and everything in between would all be options for companies looking to add a recognizable face to their marketing repertoire.

Not every NIL deal has to be on a national scale, and if Nebraska can establish a well-structured and valuable local source of opportunities, it could create a mini gold mine for its players.

Oklahoma: Locally, the Oklahoma City Thunder is the only major sports team that garners attention for endorsements and sponsorships. The Sooners can capitalize off of the popularity around the state and into neighboring states for their student-athletes.

Quarterbacks sell, and Oklahoma has had no shortage of quarterbacks come through their doors. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray both won the Heisman and were No. 1 NFL draft picks. Jalen Hurts transferred in and played at a high level. Now, there’s plenty of hype surrounding Spencer Rattler. Their collective successes could appeal to brands looking for faces to endorse their products and also sell recruits on being the next in line.

The athletic department has started a program called The Foundry, which will be a step-by-step program that will include personal brand growth, entrepreneurship, finance and tax management among other aspects. The department has also partnered with Culture Wins, an agency that has worked with other sports organizations to build high-performing leaders and teams.

https://newsbinding.com/sports/college- ... tches/amp/