A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Anybody else think Bones Hyland is an NBA player?? I do not see it at all. That is a tough hit for VCU, would have been a top 25 team with him. They do have a lot coming back, and have brought in a couple of good players. Still will be top 4 in the league and a probable NCAA team but to lose your best player is never good.

I have not spent much time following the draft, is he expected to be drafted? Where does he rank? My prediction, mid to late second round if at all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the latest NBADraft.net Bones Hyland is 3rd player in the 2nd round.

yes, I see Hyland as an NBA Player.

His Freshman Year he was 43% 3FG, 67% FT
Sophomore year he was 37% 3FG and a much improved 86% FT plus a solid 4.7 rebounds per game

3 Point Shooting accuracy is a big desirable in the NBA - Hyland has shown a good 3FG accuracy and the potential to improve
  • Hyland is the only A10 Player among the 60 players in the 2021 NBADraft.net Draft of 2 rounds
  • 4 of the 60 players are from the G-League
  • 9 of the 60 players are from Foreign Countries

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kid has deep deep range his game will translate well to the NBA
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I’m inclined to agree with 4Diffs. He’s shifty, but I didn’t see the straight out speed that most NBA guards need to have success. VCU didn’t exactly run an NBA style offense, though. More than most, I think he’ll need a really good situation. Also, he’ll need to hit the weight room. If he puts on muscle and weight and succeeds in the league, he’ll have the NBA version of the Fatts chubby baby story.
There’s a chance, but if I had to put money in it, I’d say no.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Anybody else think Bones Hyland is an NBA player?? I do not see it at all. That is a tough hit for VCU, would have been a top 25 team with him. They do have a lot coming back, and have brought in a couple of good players. Still will be top 4 in the league and a probable NCAA team but to lose your best player is never good.

I have not spent much time following the draft, is he expected to be drafted? Where does he rank? My prediction, mid to late second round if at all.
I definitely view him as an NBA player... The NBA loves guards that can shoot and Bones can certainly do that. He already has the ability to pull up from anywhere and drain the 3. His step back and side step are a thing of beauty. He hits tough shots and can score at any level.

Of course, he has weaknesses. He'll need to improve his strength and get bigger to score around the basket and defend both guard positions, but the NBA is all about hitting the 3, and he'll do that..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True and he has deep deep range and can get his shot off quick be interesting to see where he lands
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Speaking of A10 players transitioning to the NBA, did anyone see Obi’s zero impact start to his NBA career? I did not. I thought he would be an immediate contributor. He barely sees the court these days. I think he’s averaging under ten minutes per game in the Knicks last ten games.
Of course, there’s still plenty of time to have a good career, but you don’t want to wait too long. Players get labeled after two or three years and it becomes hard to overcome that label if it’s negative.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of A10 players transitioning to the NBA, did anyone see Obi’s zero impact start to his NBA career? I did not. I thought he would be an immediate contributor. He barely sees the court these days. I think he’s averaging under ten minutes per game in the Knicks last ten games.
Of course, there’s still plenty of time to have a good career, but you don’t want to wait too long. Players get labeled after two or three years and it becomes hard to overcome that label if it’s negative.
I'm with you. I thought Obi would be a strong candidate for Rookie of the Year - and playing for the Knicks would help enable that accomplishment.

Here are the latest odds from BetMGM:

NBA Rookie Of The Year Winner
Anthony Edwards (-110) #1 Timberwolves
Tyrese Haliburton (+175) #12 Kings
LaMelo Ball (+210) #3 Hornets
Immanuel Quickley (+2200) #25 Thunder - traded to Knicks
James Wiseman (+10000) #2 Warriors
Saddiq Bey (+10000) #19 Nets - traded to Pistons
Deni Avdija (+15000) #9 Wizards
Patrick Williams (+15000) #4 Bulls
Tyrese Maxey (+15000) #21 76ers
Aleksej Pokusevski (+15000) #17 Timberwolves - traded to Thunder
Desmond Bane (+15000) #30 Celtics - traded to Grizzlies
Payton Pritchard (+20000) #26 Celtics

Missing from Top 12 Odds Favorites - drafted among the Top 15:

#5 Isaac Okoro - Cavaliers
#7 Killian Hayes - Pistons
#8 Obi Toppin - Knicks
#10 Jalen Smith - Suns
#11 Devin Vessell - Spurs
#13 Kira Lewis Jr - Pelicans
#14 Aaron Nesmith - Celtics
#15 Cole Anthony - Magic

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Obi got hurt to start the year and he is playing behind Julius Randle who is having an All NBA season. Obi is a 4 and only a 4. Julius is a 4 and only a 4. Obi loses. Knicks are going to have to commit to one or the other long term eventually.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Obi was a strange pick for the Knicks. Love the kid, but he doesn’t fit the scheme in NY. Randle is going to sign a long term deal. Tough to play two 4s together with similar skill sets in today’s nba.

I see Bones being a version of Immanuel Quickley in a few years. Can score in bunches - playing 15-20 min a game.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NY Post Article from March 24 described Toppin struggles

Also an article by Kento Kato from April 19

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/obi-toppi ... nox-looms/

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021 ... obi-toppin
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Obi got hurt to start the year and he is playing behind Julius Randle who is having an All NBA season. Obi is a 4 and only a 4. Julius is a 4 and only a 4. Obi loses. Knicks are going to have to commit to one or the other long term eventually.
I agree with this. They probably didn't expect Randle to suddenly put everything together, and now, they either have to lock him up and sell low on Toppin, or, go with Toppin and try to move Randle, which would hurt their W-L for the 2021-22 season. Since Tibs is their coach, I think it makes more sense to move Toppin at some point.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Every single player that didn't start for the Bonnies in 20-21 have entered the portal, their entire bench (total 6 players). I don't ever remember seeing that happen before.
It's a good thing they added some quality transfers and just signed one freshman recruit from Canada. They now have 9 scholarships filled, leaving 4 openings.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Every single player that didn't start for the Bonnies in 20-21 have entered the portal, their entire bench (total 6 players). I don't every remember seeing that happen before.
It's a good thing they added some quality transfers and just signed one freshman recruit from Canada. They now have 9 scholarships filled, leaving 4 openings.
Only losing 1 player who played more than 20 mpg. They'll be fine and the whole conference will be chasing them.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Every single player that didn't start for the Bonnies in 20-21 have entered the portal, their entire bench (total 6 players). I don't ever remember seeing that happen before.
Only losing 1 player who played more than 20 mpg. They'll be fine and the whole conference will be chasing them.
Yes, I think they should be fine. Their starting 5 is solid and they have some decent transfers coming in, they will also probably add another couple of players. Schmidt uses a short rotation anyway, all his starters averaged over 30 minutes.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Random video I found of some amazing A10 moments.. Pretty cool
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't want to jinx us, but so far I think we faired out pretty well with our roster going into next season.
When you look at the college landscape with all the player movement this year, we escaped pretty well.
The year prior was tough, but I still like who we added.
I don't look at Fatts doing a grad year at Maryland as a negative. He spent four years here and it was time for both him and us to move on.
Looking at the portal, I think Cox did a good job landing Ish2. He did put up decent #'s and was probably the best we could hope for as an immediate contributor.
I also really like our recruit Samb, He should become a really solid player for us.
All 3 of our freshman despite 2 of them sitting out are all still here.
Shepp coming back will be a huge lift for our team.
I give props to Cox for filling out our available scholarships for this season.
Hopefully with fans in the arenas this year, things may be a little more normal.
Regardless of how we finish, we shouldn't be an easy out for anyone we play.
Hopefully I haven't spoke too soon.
Still very curious who becomes our lead assistant.

In other A10 news hearing rumors that Nick Sherod may return to Richmond despite what he earlier said. If so, they should compete for the top position with the Bonnies.
VCU (even without Bones), Dayton, St. Louis, and possibly US may not be far behind.
The top half of the A10 should be extremely competitive.
I may of had an extra sip of Kool-Aid tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent pick up for Bonnies.
He announced on Television on the 6pm news tonight.
Had narrowed to 3 schools - Southern Mississippi, New Mexico - Richard Pitino and St Bonaventure.
He is the 6th signee for Schmidt. Bonnies really wanted this guy.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Yes Ramster, the Bonnies are doing a good job reloading their depth this year.
Getting juco sharpshooter Linton today and freshman recruit Joryam a day ago are both nice pickups, especially Linton.
I don't think they are done yet, still having 2 open scholarships.
Oregon transfer Aaron Estrada had the Bonnies in his final 4, announcing tomorrow. He was a former MAAC rookie of the year and would need a waiver to play 21-22. Not sure if there is still interest after their last 2 commits.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I lived in Wellington FL once upon a time. Nice town.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Bonnies looking absolutely stacked

At the very least they will have depth now which can only help them.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Mark Schmidt must be one hell of a salesman, getting a kid from sunny, warm south Florida to come to god-forsaken Olean, N.Y.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Mark Schmidt must be one hell of a salesman, getting a kid from sunny, warm south Florida to come to god-forsaken Olean, N.Y.
SBU already had the talent returning from a good season with even higher expectations for next year. They are therefore very well situated at this moment in the new player free agency era where the outlook plan is short term and instant return of success is the chief goal.

The Bonnies may well be in the exact opposite position in a year or two after the present talent departs and expectations drop. This is the new environment.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago In the latest NBADraft.net Bones Hyland is 3rd player in the 2nd round.

Sophomore year he was 37% 3FG and a much improved 86% FT plus a solid 4.7 rebounds per game

3 Point Shooting accuracy is a big desirable in the NBA - Hyland has shown a good 3FG accuracy and the potential to improve
  • Hyland is the only A10 Player among the 60 players in the 2021 NBADraft.net Draft of 2 rounds

So NBA draft net has him as the 3rd pick in the Second round. I personally think that is high, I can see mid to late Second but I am no expert for sure.

But many second round picks end up not playing in the NBA, and most college players are not leaving early to be a second round pick. Maybe he goes overseas and plays.

I wish the guy luck and maybe he does sneak into the first round but I do not see it. They value 3 and D guys, that is not Bones game. He is not a spot up shooter, he has the ball in his hands and creates his 3's, and his lack of physical strength will prevent him from being a good defensive player.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Have to think Richmond is a clear second for next season now and would not surprise me at all if they won the league.

I’m sure they’ll receive a few first place votes in the preseason poll, but still expecting Bonnie’s to be the clear favorite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah those 2 have separated themselves easily from the rest

Did Richmond lose anyone significant from their rotation ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Have to think Richmond is a clear second for next season now and would not surprise me at all if they won the league.

I’m sure they’ll receive a few first place votes in the preseason poll, but still expecting Bonnie’s to be the clear favorite.
Wow huge news for Richmond, they should be right up there with the Bonnies, probable starting 5:
Gilyard (PG), Sherod (CG), Burton(F), Cayo (F), Golden (C)
This lineup gives them one of the best starting backcourts and frontcourts in the league, all double digit scorers and all capable of leading the team.
Not so sure the Bonnies are clear cut favorites anymore, will be close.
Curious to see if they add any transfers for depth, they do have a decent recruiting class.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah those 2 have separated themselves easily from the rest

Yes. Francis not returning. I believe he declared for the draft.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah those 2 have separated themselves easily from the rest

The average age of Richmonds rotation will be ~23. Old mans club. Personally, I LOVE to see that. You don’t see kids sticking around 4 years anymore. Let alone 6... :lol:
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago

The average age of Richmonds rotation will be ~23. Old mans club. Personally, I LOVE to see that. You don’t see kids sticking around 4 years anymore. Let alone 6... :lol:

Yup, gotta give Mooney some credit for retaining all those guys, they all could have up transferred (except for probably Sherod).

Barring injuries, they should easily be a tournament team.

...Oops does speaking highly of them make me a Richmond fan now?
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago

Yup, gotta give Mooney some credit for retaining all those guys, they all could have up transferred (except for probably Sherod).

Barring injuries, they should easily be a tournament team.

...Oops does speaking highly of them make me a Richmond fan now?
I think we are all in agreement that Richmond should battle for the A10 title this upcoming season.

And yes something to be said for Mooney to have all these players come back and finish their careers at Richmond.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Very sad news regarding SLU.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s awful so damn young RIP
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Terrible 😞

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Terrible 😞

So many young people in the sports world passing away! God this is terrible.

This guy, Clarke and the Texas linebacker all within a month.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Former Michigan State PG Foster Loyer is transferring to Davidson.
He was a 2018 Mr. Michigan Basketball and a 4* recruit.
Never quite lived up to his lofty expectations, and a shoulder injury cut his season short. Should have 2 years eligibility left.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mooney looks to have a strong staff at Richmond, nice additions.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Elvis has entered the building for Dayton.
Depaul transfer PG freshman Kobe Elvis committed to Dayton, has 4 years eligibility left.
He was one of the top Canadian guards 2020;
I believe he filled their last open scholarship, nice pickup.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham and Richmond noted in article

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Fordham and Richmond noted in article

Curious about Fordham listed, although they did add Qusenberry and Daye not sure how their numbers will translate to the A10, much like our Ish2.
Fordham did have a huge loss in the portal with a young Joel Soriano who put up nice numbers and has star potential.

Not listed (A10) is Dayton who has the best transfer with Camara (Georgia), and maybe VCU second with Tsohonis (Washington).
Both these players had strong stats at P5 schools, against tough competition.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Elvis has entered the building for Dayton.
Depaul transfer PG freshman Kobe Elvis committed to Dayton, has 4 years eligibility left.
He was one of the top Canadian guards 2020;
I believe he filled their last open scholarship, nice pickup.

I agree that this is a nice pickup. I thought he played well in DePaul’s game at Providence.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago In the latest NBADraft.net Bones Hyland is 3rd player in the 2nd round.

So NBA draft net has him as the 3rd pick in the Second round. I personally think that is high, I can see mid to late Second but I am no expert for sure.

But many second round picks end up not playing in the NBA, and most college players are not leaving early to be a second round pick. Maybe he goes overseas and plays.

I wish the guy luck and maybe he does sneak into the first round but I do not see it. They value 3 and D guys, that is not Bones game. He is not a spot up shooter, he has the ball in his hands and creates his 3's, and his lack of physical strength will prevent him from being a good defensive player.
In the latest NBADRAFT.net Hyland is now #22 in the 1st round.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-draft ... -mock=2021
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

If you play 5 seasons you shouldn’t get in any all time record books.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago If you play 5 seasons you shouldn’t get in any all time record books.
100% agree