Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by PeteRI »

While we're on the subject of
misinformation about Fatts, I wish they would stop with the growth spurts. If Fatts is 5'10" I'm 40 and weigh 185. :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago While we're on the subject of
misinformation about Fatts, I wish they would stop with the growth spurts. If Fatts is 5'10" I'm 40 and weigh 185. :roll:
Pete,

Maryland lists him at 5’11”.

How tall would you say he actually is? You have stood next to him as many of us have.

DE2323C2-0AE8-46F8-B7EF-5E9E592B1BD5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago While we're on the subject of
Pete,

Maryland lists him at 5’11”.

How tall would you say he actually is? You have stood next to him as many of us have.

DE2323C2-0AE8-46F8-B7EF-5E9E592B1BD5.png
5'9" tops. Although in athletic accomplishments and pure entertainment my man Fatts towers over mere mortals such as I. :D
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

CBS Sports /David Cobb ranks Fatts #28 on committed transfers, link below:

28. Fatts Russell
Old school: Rhode Island | New school: Maryland
"Russell struggled to make shots in his senior season at Rhode Island amid some nagging injuries, but the 5-10 point guard can ease back on the throttle some at Maryland and take on more of a distributor role. If he can recapture the 35.7% 3-point shooting mark he posted as a junior, he'll be a tremendous help for the Terrapins."
if Fatts had been more of a distributor, then URI would have been a better team. Would one argue that Fatts' offensive inefficiency was beneficial for URI? Fatts needs to be more of a distributor AND a more efficient shooter. This is definitely possible.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

He can't be much worse then his Sophomore and Senior years at Rhody. He was awful just awful!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I've noticed the freshman stats issue with other players as well.

I HATE how ESPN's player profiles are set up.
I am at the point where I have trust issues with ESPN since they're "woke".
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

there's a picture of Fatts on the ESPN homepage for college hoops...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I've noticed the freshman stats issue with other players as well.

yeah ESPN is def "WOKE" - i know this first hand - EFF ESPN.. OUT !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago

yeah ESPN is def "WOKE" - i know this first hand - EFF ESPN.. OUT !

WOKE = angry white lady in a Prius driving around triple masked.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Let's get back to Fatts, and college basketball.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m guessing this won’t sit well with the Fatts can’t play crowd

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Names you don’t see on that list…Matthews, Terrell, Dowtin.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Names you don’t see on that list…Matthews, Terrell, Dowtin.
I get the genesis of the list and data being pulled together, but I don’t love win share being 33% of the overall ranking. Essentially highlights good players on average teams and punishes good players on great teams
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Funny, I don't see Fatts 2021 on that list.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, that list is a little misleading as the players are listed only for one specific season and not their entire careers. Fatts' junior year was incredible, so I'm not shocked he's on this.

I am a little shocked Terrell's senior season isn't on this, though.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Yea, that list is a little misleading as the players are listed only for one specific season and not their entire careers. Fatts' junior year was incredible, so I'm not shocked he's on this.

I am a little shocked Terrell's senior season isn't on this, though.
Eh, I'd take it with a grain of salt. It's kind of jamming together three metrics that don't really go together - PER is more useful for evaluating players (especially offensively) to one another independent of playing time. Win Shares incorporates playing time and minutes; it's more of a measure of how much actual value you contributed. And plus-minus, I still find that too teammate / team dependent to be of much use, unless you're really familiar with the team dynamics at play. (Meaning - I'd trust myself to make sense of URI's plus-minus stats, but not many other teams.)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Names you don’t see on that list…Matthews, Terrell, Dowtin.
3 players I would take twice over Fatts.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Aaron Wiggens decides to stay in the draft.
Must be a little disappointing to Turgeon, he was initially expected to return.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ter ... story.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe he didn’t like the makeup of the team
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Mark Turgeon on Fatts Russell:
"One of those transfers, Fatts Russell, is the career steals leader for Rhode Island and averaged 18.8 points per game there two years ago. But at Maryland, he'll be expected to be a facilitator, while Eric Ayala moves from the point to the two.

Russell "wanted that. His body was worn out. He was breaking down a little bit. He's terrific. I mean, I knew he was good, but he is a heck of a player. He can make an impact on both ends. Some kids can just make an impact on one end. He gets shots, his team wins every scrimmage it seems like, then he gets two or three steals a practice just because he's so fast and anticipates well," Turgeon said."

This is how Fatts can best help the Terps. We didn't see much of Fatts as a facilitator at URI except for the last GW game.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Mark Turgeon on Fatts Russell:
"One of those transfers, Fatts Russell, is the career steals leader for Rhode Island and averaged 18.8 points per game there two years ago. But at Maryland, he'll be expected to be a facilitator, while Eric Ayala moves from the point to the two.

Russell "wanted that. His body was worn out. He was breaking down a little bit. He's terrific. I mean, I knew he was good, but he is a heck of a player. He can make an impact on both ends. Some kids can just make an impact on one end. He gets shots, his team wins every scrimmage it seems like, then he gets two or three steals a practice just because he's so fast and anticipates well," Turgeon said."

This is how Fatts can best help the Terps. We didn't see much of Fatts as a facilitator at URI except for the last GW game.
That's sounds like talk that Fatt's isn't starting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huh??

Fatts Russell averaged 3.8 assists per game as a Junior PG at URI. Fatts increased to 4.5 assists per game as a Senior PG to lead the URI Team and finished 7th in the Atlantic 10 in assists per game!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I highly doubt that. Fatts will be starting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I highly doubt that. Fatts will be starting.
No doubt. Fatts will definitely be starting.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Can people not read? Fatts is going to start at PG but is being asked to facilitate more than be the alpha he had to be at Rhody. And he put on 10 pounds of muscle and looks like a different person. I bet he has a great year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Can people not read? Fatts is going to start at PG but is being asked to facilitate more than be the alpha he had to be at Rhody. And he put on 10 pounds of muscle and looks like a different person. I bet he has a great year.
That's good BAR but if he reverts to chuck and duck, he'll be riding pine.

He had the green light here as we all know, but that won't work there.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Can people not read? Fatts is going to start at PG but is being asked to facilitate more than be the alpha he had to be at Rhody. And he put on 10 pounds of muscle and looks like a different person. I bet he has a great year.

Completely different situation.
Let's not compare URI to Maryland, his role there will be much different and he will embrace it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Let's not compare URI to Maryland, his role there will be much different and he will embrace it.
Why will his role be different? In what way(s)?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

He won't be relied on to carry the load and the be first scoring option, or the one taking the final shot.
He has much more talent around him and will be more of a facilitator than trying to do too much himself.
There will be less pressure on him in that sense.
Very doubtful he puts up as many shots as he did here and I think his FG% will improve.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He won't be relied on to carry the load and the be first scoring option, or the one taking the final shot.
He has much more talent around him and will be more of a facilitator than trying to do too much himself.
Very doubtful he puts up as many shots as he did here and I think his FG% will improve.
Respectfully disagree.

The biggest difference at Maryland will be that he will not be allowed to carry the load, be the first scoring option, take the final shot, dribble, dribble and run the shot clock down whereby he has to shoot it, he will not be allowed to do too much himself and he will not put up near the shots he put up here. In addition he will not be allowed to take plays off on defense and if he is hurt he will be allowed time off to get 100%.

But I could be wrong, Turgeon may let him do as he likes at Maryland too

URI has basically the same team as last year minus Russell, so that need to let Fatt's be the first scoring option, take the final shot, put up high numbers of shots per game and put pressure on himself is gone here. Will be interesting to see how his teammates from last season adapt.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Respectfully disagree.

The biggest difference at Maryland will be that he will not be allowed to carry the load, be the first scoring option, take the final shot, dribble, dribble and run the shot clock down whereby he has to shoot it, he will not be allowed to do too much himself and he will not put up near the shots he put up here. In addition he will not be allowed to take plays off on defense and if he is hurt he will be allowed time off to get 100%.

URI has basically the same team as last year minus Russell, so that need to let Fatt's be the first scoring option, take the final shot, put up high numbers of shots per game and put pressure on himself is gone here. Will be interesting to see how his teammates from last season adapt.
How is that different than what I said, he won’t be relied as much to be the primary scoring option?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Respectfully disagree.

How is that different than what I said, he won’t be relied as much to be the primary scoring option?
I believe he's saying the coach will make him play that role in Maryland, unlike what he was allowed to do here without repercussions.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Respectfully disagree.

I believe he's saying the coach will make him play that role in Maryland, unlike what he was allowed to do here without repercussions.
Of course, that is why his role will be different. Their roster has much more scoring options.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Of course, that is why his role will be different. Their roster has much more scoring options.
But he's saying the main difference will be the influence of the coach. If Fatts is still given free rein in Maryland to do what he wants, you don't think he would? And my comments are not bashing Fatts one bit. I love the kid.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But he's saying the main difference will be the influence of the coach. If Fatts is still given free rein in Maryland to do what he wants, you don't think he would? And my comments are not bashing Fatts one bit. I love the kid.
That’s exactly what I’m saying Billyboy.

If you changed the coaches out with Cox going to Maryland, Turgeon to URI then Russell’s game would remain the same.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That’s exactly what I’m saying Billyboy.

If you changed the coaches out with Cox going to Maryland, Turgeon to URI then Russell’s game would remain the same.
You really can’t speculate, different teams. But to be fair Turgeon has been a HC for 23 years, taking 3 different schools to the NCAAT.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts was never a pass first guard at URI as he is expected to be at Maryland. Too many times he would throw his body into a defender while launching a blind shot in hopes of going to the FT line rather than passing to an open teammate. He had the ball in his hands on offense more than anyone else on the URI team, so it is not surprising that he got an assist on many of his teammates baskets. That said, Fatts was a great closer in tight games with his team ahead. Clutch FT shooter.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts was never a pass first guard at URI as he is expected to be at Maryland. Too many times he would throw his body into a defender while launching a blind shot in hopes of going to the FT line rather than passing to an open teammate. He had the ball in his hands on offense more than anyone else on the URI team, so it is not surprising that he got an assist on many of his teammates baskets. That said, Fatts was a great closer in tight games with his team ahead. Clutch FT shooter.
Yup, he threw up a ton of bad shots. Somehow, he was allowed to do this repeatedly while Cox played him all the minutes he could handle even if he was hurt.

Another positive of Fatts is he destroyed your favorite team in our last two wins against PC.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

For all you ignorant Fatts' haters on this forum here's a quote from coach Mark Turgeon in Maryland scrimmage notes from the weekend : " Fatts just makes the game easier for everyone. I mean almost every bucket for the black team early , easily Fatts had a hand in it . " Go Fatts !!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago For all you ignorant Fatts' haters on this forum here's a quote from coach Mark Turgeon in Maryland scrimmage notes from the weekend : " Fatts just makes the game easier for everyone. I mean almost every bucket for the black team early , easily Fatts had a hand in it . " Go Fatts !!!
Maybe he's being used correctly now...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think he’s going to have a really good year. If he accepts being a facilitator vs alpha scorer and with the talent around him and 10 pounds of muscle we could see a different Fatts.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Interesting that Fatts will face 3 A10 teams in Maryland's OOC schedule: GW (11/11), GM (11/17), and Richmond (11/25).
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Exhibition game tonight against a d2 team, will be interested to see the results. Noticed that former recruit Leroy Butts is on the d2 team. Transferred in from Radford.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago Exhibition game tonight against a d2 team, will be interested to see the results. Noticed that former recruit Leroy Butts is on the d2 team. Transferred in from Radford.
Butts must be about 30 years old by now!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I think he’s going to have a really good year. If he accepts being a facilitator vs alpha scorer and with the talent around him and 10 pounds of muscle we could see a different Fatts.
Bingo! ... and he better not ignore what Turgeon says the way he did with Cox, or he'll be picking splinters out of his backside.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts in his first exhibition game

4-6 FG 1-2 3FG 1-2 FT 5 Rebounds 2 AST 2 Steals and 2 TO's in 19 minutes.

Hated reading the Maryland post-game article with his name in it 😑
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did Fatts start ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Fatts in his first exhibition game

4-6 FG 1-2 3FG 1-2 FT 5 Rebounds 2 AST 2 Steals and 2 TO's in 19 minutes.

Hated reading the Maryland post-game article with his name in it 😑
Box score from last night:

https://umterps.com/documents/2021/11/5 ... f?id=12257

Of course you could fix this hated reading by not reading it, but to make things easier here are the 11 OOC Games for Maryland:

Nov 9 Quinnipiac 7pm
Nov 11 George Washington 6:30pm
Nov 13 Vermont 2pm
Nov 17 George Mason 7pm
Nov 19 Hofstra 6:30pm
Nov 25 Richmond - Bahamas 7pm
Nov 27 Louisville/Mississippi State - Bahamas 10am
Dec 1 Virginia Tech 7:15pm
Dec 12 Florida - Brooklyn 4:30pm
Dec 28 Loyola Maryland 8:30pm
Dec 30 Brown 7pm

All 11 games at home except 2 Bahamas and Brooklyn on neutral courts
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.