2021 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago didn't watch the game but Martin 1-10 is not good. glad uconn lost.

and texas...what a disgrace. this was a veteran team. Shaka 0-3 in tourney at Texas. we aren't the only ones that deal with tough times.
6 years at Texas with zero tournament wins.

Would not be shocked at all if he gets fired.
His seat was warm, with all their $ they always have higher expectations.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he gets fired, he can come here, would take him in a heartbeat.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago didn't watch the game but Martin 1-10 is not good. glad uconn lost.
I didn't see it either.
At what point did he start to pout?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need defense like Loyola. That's for sure.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I am Tyrese I would be shooting 1000 jump shots a day in the off season to improve he needs to get consistent in that area
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
I didn't see it either.
At what point did he start to pout?
I watched the whole game.

Martin had 10 rebounds at the half. Finished with 11 rebounds with 7 offensive rebounds. Next highest in the game was 7 rebounds by Whaley and Morsell of Maryland.
Martin also had 3 blocked shots which was a game high. Martin only had 1 TO and 1 PF while playing 29 minutes.

He did not take a 3FG attempt.

Most of his misses were inside under heavy pressure from offensive rebounds. They were difficult shots although a few seemed to just miss inside. 1-10 sounds bad and it is, but it is not like he was launching 30' 3FGs, his battling inside was strong. Maryland was very physical inside which caused many of Martin's misses after getting offensive rebounds. Maybe better if Martin grabbed some of those rebounds and passed them outside. Cole was a poor 3-12 and Booknight was way off on the night with 6-16 and only 1-6 on 3FG with 3 TO's.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and texas...what a disgrace. this was a veteran team. Shaka 0-3 in tourney at Texas. we aren't the only ones that deal with tough times.
I watched the entire Abilene Christian - Texas game.
Most amazing to me was the relentless, talented defense that Abilene Christian put on Texas. Interesting since Shaka was known for havoc at VCU. Abilene Christian won this game on amazing defense.

Texas has a Season high 23 turnovers. I heard the announcers say it was the most TO's be a Texas team in the past 8 years.

ACU had only 11 TOs and they had 11 steals. They had no blocked shots but constant pressure throughout the game.

Texas had 23 TOs and 6 steals. Texas starting guards had a combined 15 TOs: Ramey with 4, Jones with 4 and Coleman III had a disastrous 7 TO's. The most TO's by any singe ACU player was only 2.

In all of the big upsets, and I have watched them all, defense was the difference maker imho. 15-seed Oral Roberts, 13-seed North Texas, 14-seed Abilene Christian and 13-seed Ohio University. All 4 teams displayed quick, relentless, talented and help defense for 40 minutes. The most impressive defense was ACU. Good defense wasn't trying for steals either, not taking chances but putting immense pressure on the offense relentlessly - something you won't see in box scores like you do number of steals.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Loyola Chicago plays some incredibly pretty basketball.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Loyola bout to wrap this thing up!

I hope some of you have been watching this offensive and defensive clinic by Loyola.

Zero surprise if they make the final 4 again.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Clinic by Loyola.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Loyola upsetting Illinois to reach the Sweet 16, what a great story.

This team is so well coached by Porter Moser and he also happens to be an excellent recruiter, which is difficult surrounded by the B10 and several BE schools.

If Moser isn't on the very short list for DePaul, Marquette, Indiana, or Minn. opening something is wrong with those AD's. Need to back up the Brink's truck for him.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Something we can all agree on...Loyola has a great coach!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Loyola bout to wrap this thing up!

I hope some of you have been watching this offensive and defensive clinic by Loyola.

Just as with the other significant upsets to date the defense was immense and relentless.
12 steals for Loyola vs only 5 for Illinois

Krutwig 9-18 FG, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 19 points. Nice box score line.

#1 Big10 seed goes down in round of 32.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Just as with the other significant upsets to date the defense was immense and relentless.

Krutwig 9-18 FG, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 19 points. Nice box score line.

I LOVE IT

Putting 9 B10 teams in the tournament was a total travesty, and the selection committee should be ashamed.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Loyola upsetting Illinois to reach the Sweet 16, what a great story.

This team is so well coached by Porter Moser and he also happens to be an excellent recruiter, which is difficult surrounded by the B10 and several BE schools.

If Moser isn't on the very short list for DePaul, Marquette, Indiana, or Minn. opening something is wrong with those AD's. Need to back up the Brink's truck for him.
Almost no point in him going to any of those schools if they go back to the final 4 again lol.

He's got Gonzaga 2.0 if he stays.

And right now I might be surprised if they don't go back to the final 4.... they already dismantled the best team in the region!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Loyola upsetting Illinois to reach the Sweet 16, what a great story.

Almost no point in him going to any of those schools if they go back to the final 4 again lol.

He's got Gonzaga 2.0 if he stays.

And right now I might be surprised if they don't go back to the final 4.... they already dismantled the best team in the region!
He does seem to be a loyal guy, but who knows.

It would be hard to turn down an offer from Indiana, a prestige program, and the big $ from the B10 and BE schools.

Though if he stays they could be the Gonzaga of the Midwest.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I LOVE IT

Putting 9 B10 teams in the tournament was a total travesty, and the selection committee should be ashamed.
Another thing the committee should be ashamed of: Loyola was CRIMINALLY underseeded. They should have been in the 3-5 range.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

I LOVE IT

Another thing the committee should be ashamed of: Loyola was CRIMINALLY underseeded. They should have been in the 3-5 range.
Sure they were underseeded, because the P5's are so overseeded and overrated by NET and all the garbage about QUAD1, QUAD2 games.
Wisconsin looking bad and will likely be the 5th of the 9 BIG 10 Teams to be sent home in an hour
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I LOVE IT

Sure they were underseeded, because the P5's are so overseeded and overrated by NET and all the garbage about QUAD1, QUAD2 games.
Wisconsin looking bad and will likely be the 5th of the 9 BIG 10 Teams to be sent home in an hour
Baylor going to send a lot of teams home...regardless of what conference they're in.

By the way, which Big Ten teams should not have received bids?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

Baylor going to send a lot of teams home...regardless of what conference they're in.

For sure Michigan State with a NET of 70!!! and 9-11 in Conference. Lost their 1st game in the Big 10 Tournament as well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

For sure Michigan State with a NET of 70!!! and 9-11 in Conference. Lost their 1st game in the Big 10 Tournament as well.
You might also add Maryland (I don't care that they just beat UConn)
Why reward a team that went 9-11 conference play, losing their last 3 out of 4 conference games including Penn State and Northwestern
They already have an advantage playing 20 conference games.
I would much rather see some of the less heralded programs get more of an opportunity for this exposure.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

The announcers in the Baylor game mentioned the Southern Conference connection on the roster. They mentioned that MaCio Teague started at UNC Asheville. I remembered that UNC Asheville was the opening night opponent in the 2017-2018 season. Sure enough, Teague played in that game. He started and played 34 minutes. His line was 12 points, 5 assists and 2 rebounds. I don’t remember him, probably because the game was a blowout.
Looks like he made the right move transferring to Baylor.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

No idea in Illinois lost. They were unbelievable this season. Never heard of Loyola until 2019, can’t understand how they’re that good either lol. The madness.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago No idea in Illinois lost. They were unbelievable this season. Never heard of Loyola until 2019, can’t understand how they’re that good either lol. The madness.
Did you watch the game? It was a clinic on both defense and offense. Moser with a Final 4 and at least a Sweet 16. Dude can coach. No chance him coming here at all.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago No idea in Illinois lost. They were unbelievable this season. Never heard of Loyola until 2019, can’t understand how they’re that good either lol. The madness.
Loyola does have a history. They won the national championship in 1963. They reached the Sweet 16 in 1985. They lost to Georgetown in that round. The game was played in Providence. I remember because I was there.
So the school is not exactly UCLA or Kentucky but not a complete no name that sprung up from out of nowhere in 2018, either.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Let’s GOOOOOOOOOOO MountainEEEEEEEERRRRRS!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Let’s GOOOOOOOOOOO MountainEEEEEEEERRRRRS!
I just can't root for them. Ever.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Loyola does have a history. They won the national championship in 1963. They reached the Sweet 16 in 1985. They lost to Georgetown in that round. The game was played in Providence. I remember because I was there.
So the school is not exactly UCLA or Kentucky but not a complete no name that sprung up from out of nowhere in 2018, either.
Interesting
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Did you watch the game? It was a clinic on both defense and offense. Moser with a Final 4 and at least a Sweet 16. Dude can coach. No chance him coming here at all.
I didn’t, but still surprising.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I am Indiana I would put the full court press on Porter M he deserves it
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago If I am Indiana I would put the full court press on Porter M he deserves it
Reef that defense was something. And the offense had a strategy that worked perfectly. Love watching basketball played well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Houston beats Rutgers 63-60 as Houston outscores Rutgers 14-2 the last few minutes of the game.

Horrendous Head Coaching strategy by Rutgers as they went to slow down ball, trying to use up the clock with each possession resulting in a bunch of turnovers. While that strategy works sometimes, more times than not it doesn't and it didn't tonight.

Tremendous effort by Dejon Jarreau who hurt his hip but returned to the game giving it his all. He hit a huge 3 point shot in the run, finishing with 17 points.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Brendan Haywood was right on. Rutgers did not have a big enough lead in the last three minutes to run the shot clock under 10 before initiating their offense. This loss sits squarely on Pikell. I’d be upset right now if I was a Rutgers fan.
Who knows how far Houston will go, and it doesn’t seem to me they have what it takes to win it all, but this is the kind of escape win most teams need if they want to make a run at the championship. It’s rare to cruise to victory in six consecutive games.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Houston beats Rutgers 63-60 as Houston outscores Rutgers 14-2 the last few minutes of the game.

Horrendous Head Coaching strategy by Rutgers as they went to slow down ball, trying to use up the clock with each possession resulting in a bunch of turnovers. While that strategy works sometimes, more times than not it doesn't and it didn't tonight.

Tremendous effort by Dejon Jarreau who hurt his hip but returned to the game giving it his all. He hit a huge 3 point shot in the run, finishing with 17 points.
That was a tough loss for Rutgers, they seemed to play not to lose rather than try to win it in the last 4 minutes.
Slowing down their rhythm on offense at the end, I think cost them the game.
Give credit to Houston, they didn't give up, and showed a lot of heart.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big 10 now has had 6 of their 9 teams go home.

Only Michigan vs LSU, Iowa vs Oregon and Maryland vs Alabama remain playing in Monday in hopes of making the Sweet 16.

FC668A75-4985-4110-9C99-5F010E60A482.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I love this tourney....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Houston beats Rutgers 63-60 as Houston outscores Rutgers 14-2 the last few minutes of the game.

That was a tough loss for Rutgers, they seemed to play not to lose rather than try to win it in the last 4 minutes.
Slowing down their rhythm on offense at the end, I think cost them the game.
Give credit to Houston, they didn't give up, and showed a lot of heart.
Yep. Rutgers froze up and tried not to lose. Sweet 16 caliber teams just don’t play that way. Poor Head Coaching. Letting Houston outscored you 14-2 in the final minutes cost them the game.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Big 10 now has had 6 of their 9 teams go home.

Only Michigan vs LSU, Iowa vs Oregon and Maryland vs Alabama remain playing in Monday in hopes of making the Sweet 16.

FC668A75-4985-4110-9C99-5F010E60A482.png
Maybe next year they’ll get 10 or 11 and keep more of the pesky non-Cartel riffraff out ...
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

15-seed Oral Roberts sends P5 Florida home

Oral Roberts to the Sweet 16!!!!!!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 15-seed Oral Roberts sends P5 Florida home

Florida had 20 turnovers, or what some call “The Rhody”
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 15-seed Oral Roberts sends P5 Florida home

The coach has probably already called his realtor to put his house on the market. I suspect he’ll get some offers from schools in better conferences.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hello Oral Roberts !!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Hello Oral Roberts !!!
Only the 2nd 15-seed to ever make the Sweet 16. Only other was Florida Gulf Coast back in 2013.

Oral Roberts went to the Elite 8 back in 1974

Oral Roberts will play 3-seed Arkansas as the try for the Elite 8 this year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m sure Dan Gavitt can explain it......

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

12-seed Oregon State sends Oklahoma State and Cade Cunningham home
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Michigan State beat Michigan, Ohio State, and Illinois in the last 2 weeks of the season. They lost in the Big Ten tourney, a tournament team. Not like they lost to a lousy team. They were not going to be kept out of the tourney. It's who you beat.

And for the record, I'm all for the little guys getting bids.

You could make the case that Syracuse didn't deserve a bid. 1-6 vs. the Quad 1.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

"While that strategy works sometimes, more times than not it doesn't and it didn't tonight." They took the foot off the pedal a little early tonight, agreed. But do you have any data to back up your statement? Or is your "more times than not" just you throwing it out there?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago I’m sure Dan Gavitt can explain it......

Really good article no way at all Loyola deserves an 8 seed and Illinois sure paid the price
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Michigan State beat Michigan, Ohio State, and Illinois in the last 2 weeks of the season. They lost in the Big Ten tourney, a tournament team. Not like they lost to a lousy team. They were not going to be kept out of the tourney. It's who you beat.

And for the record, I'm all for the little guys getting bids.

You could make the case that Syracuse didn't deserve a bid. 1-6 vs. the Quad 1.
MSU NET = 70

6 of 9 Big 10 teams already out. Let’s see how their other 3 teams do today. I’ve watched all 6 games the Big 10 lost.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

"While that strategy works sometimes, more times than not it doesn't and it didn't tonight." They took the foot off the pedal a little early tonight, agreed. But do you have any data to back up your statement? Or is your "more times than not" just you throwing it out there?
Nope, no data.

In watching the game I noticed Rutgers began milking the shot clock to kill time. As they did do Houston began trapping the guy with the ball with an aggressive defense. Rutgers on some plays panicked and then made bad passes. Rutgers stopped looking to drive to the hoop. As Houston scored you could feel the momentum moving to Houston and away from Rutgers. Rutgers was in control of this game and once they changed the strategy of playing aggressively offensively they seemed to play worse.

I’ve seen this strategy of milking the clock work and I’ve seen it not work. Personally I do not like it. It tends to make for bad, hurried shots as the shot clock runs down, Or turnovers. 14 of last 16 points were scored by Houston. It was a miracle finish.

If I find a study I’ll post it.