Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Re: Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I could care less that it's only been 3 years that Cox has been HC.

It's what is happening HERE that matters. Each situation is different.

Almost everyone here knows deep down, that we will stink again next season. Tons of evidence indicates that.

So why prolong the agony?
Because it's not realistic to expect us to go so outside the norm. If you want to spend the entire off-season making an argument for something that is not going to happen, more power to you. I personally like talking about reality.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cox is getting a fourth year, I don't even get this discussion.

I have been unimpressed with Cox assistants and would like to see a shake up. Cox knows he's on the hot seat, and as mentioned before top assistants won't want to attach themselves to this sinking ship so I think we will get the classic desperation assistant hire. Which is to say we will hire someone who can deliver us a top recruit either through nepotism or banging the top recruits mom.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If other coaches share our opinion of Cox's coaching abilities, who would want to come here to be an assistant for one year?

Publicly coaches cover their own, but privately they know who can coach and who can't.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing that sucks is Cox gets next year we struggle to be .500 then we basically waste a year cuz he gets fired after next year, if they fire him may as well do it now and start the rebuild earlier
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago I wish we could lock this thread. He is here for next year. Getting rid of him right now would have actual negative effects on the program overall because every agent is going to warn their client about a 3-year chopping block at URI. This isn't some blue blood program folks. Let's be realistic.
This take is ridiculous. He didn’t come in to take on a rebuild, he took the reigns from a successful coach and was expected to continue that success. He did not, time to move on.
Exactly right. We were 7-10 in conference, the 10th place team, and every forecast has us worse next year. Any coach that has enough basketball smarts to lead us to the tournament would be smart enough to see why we fired Cox after this season and wouldn't hold it against us. Keeping Cox after this season would be irresponsible, it's time to move on
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I vote to change the name of this thread to something more accurate like "Replace DC?". Not everyone commenting in this thread thinks we should replace DC so soon. All we need as a fanbase is a Journal article about how the disloyal RI fans have a 10 page thread about what coaches they want over DC after one bad season (with a ton of unforeseen circumstances).

I have faith that DC can and will right the ship. It will require patience and there is no way he gets the axe so soon. No one wants another CFL situation but DC will get us moving in the right direction. I'm sure this has already been said here but lets give him the proper time to prove himself.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago I'll take Claude English or Brendan Malone at this point.
If Brendan can bring in another Silk Owens, then I'm with you too.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rhodylocal wrote: 3 years ago I vote to change the name of this thread to something more accurate like "Replace DC?". Not everyone commenting in this thread thinks we should replace DC so soon. All we need as a fanbase is a Journal article about how the disloyal RI fans have a 10 page thread about what coaches they want over DC after one bad season (with a ton of unforeseen circumstances).

I have faith that DC can and will right the ship. It will require patience and there is no way he gets the axe so soon. No one wants another CFL situation but DC will get us moving in the right direction. I'm sure this has already been said here but lets give him the proper time to prove himself.
Hi Mrs. Cox.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Carmen Maciariello is someone I would have an eye on. 32-13 in his first 2 years at Siena. Back to back first place finishes. Familiar with A10 from his days at GW and ties to City Rocks one of the best AAU programs in the country.
Please...no NOHEHOHs......
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago FYI...Archie Miller going to be in hot water at end of season if Indiana continues to play like hot garbage and misses the NCAA tournament.

Little Ricky barely kept his job at Minny after last season. He's lost 2 starters to injuries in the last 2 weeks. But not sure if that mitigating circumstance will be enough to save himself. He's never been too popular there. Program no better than when he took over from Tubby.
Archie gets 1 more year...Cox gets at least 1 more year...I like John Becker...Bobby Hurley is not going anywhere...this thread is very premature.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton fan what’s the fall out from your loss today ?? You guys looking good next season ??
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote: 3 years ago Dayton fan what’s the fall out from your loss today ?? You guys looking good next season ??
Nobody seems to know IMO...lots of angst about next year being another non-ncaat year...the 2021 recruiting class is the best in school history(or at least since the advent of all these websites that rank recruits and classes)...I am not a Grant fan, I did not like him due to his being fired at Alabama, and he is now 1/4 at UD in making the ncaat...maybe this 2021 class will prove me wrong about Grant...I would have done what you guys did with Cox, I would have given the job to one of Archie's assistants, instead of Grant, and tried to keep the good times rolling...I am surprised that Cox has not done better, I thought hiring him was the right move...replacing a successful coach is always risky, it sucks
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I need to learn to savor the good times more, most fans in d1 are unhappy it seems, especially the fans at non-blue blood schools, somebody has to lose, and our good coaches are always getting stolen by other schools...we are in the same boat as you guys: we both had good coaches stolen, and now we have fallen back with the new coach
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago I need to learn to savor the good times more, most fans in d1 are unhappy it seems, especially the fans at non-blue blood schools, somebody has to lose, and our good coaches are always getting stolen by other schools...we are in the same boat as you guys: we both had good coaches stolen, and now we have fallen back with the new coach
You consider 29-2, undefeated in conference and #3 in the country falling back?

Didn’t that just happen last year?
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago I need to learn to savor the good times more, most fans in d1 are unhappy it seems, especially the fans at non-blue blood schools, somebody has to lose, and our good coaches are always getting stolen by other schools...we are in the same boat as you guys: we both had good coaches stolen, and now we have fallen back with the new coach

Far from Doom and Gloom in Dayton land.

Spectacular season last year, derailed a little this year with the health/ injury loss of Chase and Cohill

Large freshman class this past season including 2 potential stars in Amzil and Nwokeji

Maybe their deepest and best recruiting class ever for 21', #1 by far in the A10.

I think things look pretty good with Grant, he did a great job at VCU in his first head gig (76-25, 2 NCAAT in 3 years)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Far from Doom and Gloom in Dayton land.

Spectacular season last year, derailed a little this year with the health/ injury loss of Chase and Cohill

Large freshman class this past season including 2 potential stars in Amzil and Nwokeji

Maybe their deepest and best recruiting class ever for 21', #1 by far in the A10.

I think things look pretty good with Grant, he did a great job at VCU in his first head gig (76-25, 2 NCAAT in 3 years)
Not to mention having an All American, POY, Top 10 pick, and in the running for a #1 seed.

Also having commitments by three 4* kids, including the #44 ranked player in ESPN.

Yea, Dayton sure is in the same boat as us.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah they are on a cruise ship, and we are in a lifeboat.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Last year could not have been better, I am referring to this year, 7th in the A10, when we were picked 3rd in the A10 preseason poll, and getting bounced from the A10T in the quarterfinals, and now angst about next year, which if we miss the ncaat again, Grant will be 1/5, after Archie went 4 years in a row. I am trying to be more optimistic, but obviously I have my doubts.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Yeah they are on a cruise ship, and we are in a lifeboat.
Uh, our new coach is 1/4 making the ncaat after our previous coach went 4 years in a row, and next year is looking iffy IMO, if that is a cruise ship, it has sprung a leak, is taking on water, and might sink soon.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Aaron Thomas,Roland Fiore should be candidates.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Yeah they are on a cruise ship, and we are in a lifeboat.
Uh, our new coach is 1/4 making the ncaat after our previous coach went 4 years in a row, and next year is looking iffy IMO, if that is a cruise ship, it has sprung a leak, is taking on water, and might sink soon.
You see a path to the dance next year with Crutcher, Watson, Chatman and Jordy leaving? Or I guess some of them might return, but its looking tough regardless.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think Dayton is a long shot to dance next year losing quite a bit
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago
You may not Dance next year but should finish ahead of us and Dayton's future looks very promising.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If Dayton doesn't want Grant, let's see if they will trade coaches...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've never been a big fan of Grant either, but he's a BIG step up over who we got.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Grasso but not a chance in hell Thorr would pony up the money to get him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Aaron Thomas,Roland Fiore should be candidates.
nohehoh's
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Grasso makes 250K a year at Bryant.

We would at least triple his salary.

I think he would be interested if offered.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Grasso makes 250K a year at Bryant.

We would at least triple his salary.

I think he would be interested if offered.
I have a feeling he will be getting offers North of that. Probably into the 7 figures. But who knows. A lot will matter if they win on tuesday for the national attention. But he is a hell of a coach.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we can't afford any first time and inexperienced HC's for the next hire. Can't take another chance like he did with Cox.

Thorr will be under major pressure to find the next Hurley.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

If the money "isnt there" what can Thorr do? IMO, besides the offer to Hurley which i believe he knew he wasnt going to take and he was just trying to save face, he hasnt shown any dedication to improving the program thru better funding. We pay our assistants crap limited charter flights the practice facility etc etc.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This program will not be able to compete at the level that Thorr stated he wanted to, unless they spend the money.

That's the bottom line.

They were already dragging their feet on promises made, when Hurley was still here.

Can't imagine that has changed since, especially with the loss of expected revenue due to the virus.

Lots of decisions to be made on just what type of program URI BB will be.

I'm not confident that they will spend the money needed.

The longer Cox stays, the more work the next coach will have to do.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
The longer Cox stays, the more work the next coach will have to do.
Agree with everything up until the last sentence. Cox may not be the best Xs&Os coach especially when it comes to to in game adjustments. But neither was Hurley. But Cox is a good recruiter with deep ties to the best region on high school talent in the country. Cox needs the ability to pay top end assistants to help him which Thorr doesnt provide.

And im sorry i know i am in the minority but Fatts has not helped this program with his style of play. I love the kid and his dedication and the fact he bleeds keaney blue but his shoot first attitude has done us a disservice. And yes cox allowed this to happen.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago If the money "isnt there" what can Thorr do? IMO, besides the offer to Hurley which i believe he knew he wasnt going to take and he was just trying to save face, he hasnt shown any dedication to improving the program thru better funding. We pay our assistants crap limited charter flights the practice facility etc etc.
Thorr would spend money on this program like a drunken sailor if he could. If he doesn't have the money or the commitments in hand from the boosters/fan base there's really nothing he can do
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We are the way we are because of the way we are. It is that simple. There is ample funding for URI athletics but it is spread around rather than committed to excellence in fewer areas; just include the cost of scholarships in your calculations.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If David Cox were to leave URI, The #1 person I would talk to about taking the job would be Jimmy Baron. I'm limiting my choices to people who we could reasonably think would take the job for what we have to offer.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If David Cox were to leave URI, The #1 person I would talk to about taking the job would be Jimmy Baron. I'm limiting my choices to people who we could reasonably think would take the job for what we have to offer.
.....No......love Jimmy, but no......I like Grasso......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Can we stop responding to the moron/troll?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If David Cox were to leave URI, The #1 person I would talk to about taking the job would be Jimmy Baron. I'm limiting my choices to people who we could reasonably think would take the job for what we have to offer.
Your philosophy means we never would have offered the job to Jim Harrick or to Dan Hurley.

Thus no Ryan Center.

Think BIG
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Can we stop responding to the moron/troll?
I hope so but not looking likely.. Jimmy Baron... that’s actually kind of funny
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago If the money "isnt there" what can Thorr do? IMO, besides the offer to Hurley which i believe he knew he wasnt going to take and he was just trying to save face, he hasnt shown any dedication to improving the program thru better funding. We pay our assistants crap limited charter flights the practice facility etc etc.
Thorr would spend money on this program like a drunken sailor if he could. If he doesn't have the money or the commitments in hand from the boosters/fan base there's really nothing he can do
This is what I'm thinking... but, I also think, regardless of cash-vailability, these kinds of decisions don't seem to be the type made by one (public-facing) guy.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think your mistake in your troll attempt was suggesting Jimmy Baron as a hire. That’s too ridiculous of a suggestion and diminishes your troll attempt. Should have suggested someone like Seth Greenberg. Would have come across as a believably awful suggestion that would have triggered the natives.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

...Although I am intrigued about the idea of recreating the magic of a Baron/Pat Clarke coaching staff.

/s
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jimmy could be an assistant soon. Teaching proper shooting technique would be a huge plus. especially FT's.

A HC? Now? Ridiculous thought.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I muted him, but unfortunately if people quote tweet him, I can still see his posts.

Jimmy Baron as head coach?

It actually pains me to know there’s someone out there with this little basketball knowledge who constantly posts on a basketball message board.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I muted him, but unfortunately if people quote tweet him, I can still see his posts.

Jimmy Baron as head coach?

It actually pains me to know there’s someone out there with this little basketball knowledge who constantly posts on a basketball message board.
He’s clearly trolling. Ignore.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wait, let me try! Here we go .....Dan Dokich
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
I hope so but not looking likely.. Jimmy Baron... that’s actually kind of funny
Baron 2.0 😂😂😂😂😂
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Does anyone have a recent comparison on how URI compares to the rest of the A10 in MBB spending?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think they should make Fatts the head coach!