A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can feel me talking myself into thinking, "if we can get by Dayton, we can upset VCU and get to the semis" - someone, please, I need professional help. Is there a support group for folks like me? And who else needs it?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The A10 tournament, where your team can get bounced by 30 points in the first round round, after winning 10 in a row, or win the holy effing thing after a horrible regular season.
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I can feel me talking myself into thinking, "if we can get by Dayton, we can upset VCU and get to the semis" - someone, please, I need professional help. Is there a support group for folks like me? And who else needs it?
You can try group therapy. It's offered virtually (pandemic conscientious) at keaneyblue.com. It's a place that has experience with cases like yours.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I can feel me talking myself into thinking, "if we can get by Dayton, we can upset VCU and get to the semis" - someone, please, I need professional help. Is there a support group for folks like me? And who else needs it?
WELCOME TO THE SHOW BABY. BELIEVE
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Possible 3 teams dance If Bona or VCU don’t win tournament
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha, right there with you. I think this is the support group...we just suck at it! :lol:
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

St Joes takes down LaSalle. Honestly, St. Joes is the one team I would like to avoid more than anyone else.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago St Joes takes down LaSalle. Honestly, St. Joes is the one team I would like to avoid more than anyone else.
I’m just gonna start assuming dumb comments like this are sarcasm, because you simple cannot be serious saying that.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Anyone who tried to tell me that LaSalle doesn't stink in that game thread owes me a beer! :D
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago St Joes takes down LaSalle. Honestly, St. Joes is the one team I would like to avoid more than anyone else.
I’m just gonna start assuming dumb comments like this are sarcasm, because you simple cannot be serious saying that.
They've won 4 in a row, including wins vs Dayton and @ Richmond. Plus URI had their hands full with them too.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
They've won 4 in a row, including wins vs Dayton and @ Richmond. Plus URI had their hands full with them too.
I mean, we stink, so you can't use our game with them as a selling point. Dayton has also lost to La Salle and Fordam, showing they can lose to anyone.

Good win @ Richmond, but saying you want to avoid them over the likes of the Bonnies and St Louis, is just a wild take.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago

I mean, we stink, so you can't use our game with them as a selling point. Dayton has also lost to La Salle and Fordam, showing they can lose to anyone.

Good win @ Richmond, but saying you want to avoid them over the likes of the Bonnies and St Louis, is just a wild take.
The other part of my thought is the "playing down to competition" factor, which won't happen with Bonnies, St Louis ect.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why do you feel the need to police every hot take on the board? It's an internet message board of sports fans, shocker there are going to be hot takes all over the place.
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Here’s our conference preview for the tournament along with an interview with Bill Koch from the ProJo

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I had St Joes today like the way they been playing though a LASalle fought hard

Also had GW who had a 15 point lead then struggled to beat our perennial cellar dweller
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Watching the two games today just left me feeling depressed about how close we were to being one of those teams.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

See ya next season Spiders. Richmond gets bounced by the Dukes.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago See ya next season Spiders. Richmond gets bounced by the Dukes.
Tough break with multiple Covid pauses and losing Sherod preseason, but still expected more out of them this year.

Have to be one of the more disappointing teams in the country.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago For what it’s worth, I look for St Joe’s to easily dispatch LaSalle and then upset UMASS. St Louis then ends their run in the quarters.
As of this moment, this take hasn’t aged well. St Joe’s down by 21 sixteen minutes in. UMASS shooting lights out so far.
Predictions like this are why I never quit my job and moved to Vegas to become a professional gambler.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UMass balldrag. Hate to see it.
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago See ya next season Spiders. Richmond gets bounced by the Dukes.
Tough break with multiple Covid pauses and losing Sherod preseason, but still expected more out of them this year.

Have to be one of the more disappointing teams in the country.
They were up 8 with like 6 minutes to play and blew the lead. I'd say that's supposed to be shocking but around here, we just call that normal game flow.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Forget St joes, UMASS is a brick Sh*t house today, watch out.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Didn't someone say that the one team they didn't want to play was St Joes?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Richmond's season likely totally ended today with this tournament loss in their own home town. Their NET was already at #61 before this game and will now certainly fall further. An NCAA at large is most definitely out of reach and the revamped 16 team NIT is also not likely. Given all their talent, the last two seasons must surely disappoint them and their fans. They were poised for an NCAA at large bid last year before Covid ended the season and started off strong this year. In the end, they got nothing either season. It is even worse considering much of their roster was made up of seniors that may decide to move on. It looks like their window for potential success has probably closed.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Didn't someone say that the one team they didn't want to play was St Joes?
But I get called out for saying it was a stupid take. 😂
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yikes.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS wins 100-66

1st team to score 100 points in the A10 Tournament since 1999 - 21 years ago

34 points was the largest margin of victory in the history of the A10 Tournament
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The loss margin in the Umass game was the largest in the history of the A10 Tournament.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago The loss margin in the Umass game was the largest in the history of the A10 Tournament.
But St Joe’s was the team people wanted to avoid. 😂😂😂
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Love that we gave up.

Perfect metaphor for the cox era.

We have enough research to conclude this experiment.

If Thorr isn’t making a move in the next week, he better have feelers all over the country that we’ll have an opening after next season.

Shameful how far we’ve fallen.

Usually I’d be an emotional wreck after this. I’m numb, feel nothing. No connection or care for this team. Embarrassing to let this go any further.

Nice guy but it’s time.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What's even more sad, is there looks to be very little hope for next season.

That's going to be the toughest to deal with.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Love that we gave up.

If Thorr isn’t making a move in the next week, he better have feelers all over the country that we’ll have an opening after next season.

Usually I’d be an emotional wreck after this. I’m numb, feel nothing. No connection or care for this team. Embarrassing to let this go any further.

Nice guy but it’s time.

Didn’t give up at all. Betrand went down and it just deflated us and we literally had nobody left.

You’re gonna talk about the team giving up (they didn’t) when you’ve been Mr. Rah Rah “we can totally do this” all week and you chose to miss the first half?

Who really gave up?
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nice guy but it’s time.

Didn’t give up at all. Betrand went down and it just deflated us and we literally had nobody left.

You’re gonna talk about the team giving up (they didn’t) when you’ve been Mr. Rah Rah “we can totally do this” all week and you chose to miss the first half?

Who really gave up?
They didn't give up, they never had it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nice guy but it’s time.

Who really gave up?
We're down about 10 with about 3 minutes left. No pressure defense, no fouling, just letting the clock run. That's a coach giving up.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The sails were definitely inflated after the AB injury

Also Fatts hurt his wrist and really didn’t want to touch the ball in the last few minutes

We weren’t going to win that game Dayton is just better than us and we weren’t at full strength
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago The loss margin in the Umass game was the largest in the history of the A10 Tournament.
But St Joe’s was the team people wanted to avoid. 😂😂😂
At least I didn’t go that far 😀. I just stated an upset of UMASS and lose to St Louis in the quarters.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wanted to bet St Joe the way they were playing going in glad I didn’t as UMass had a day to remember but it all ends for them tomorrow against the St Louis Bills
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am rooting for SLU, they have the best chance of beating either VCU or Bonnies and probably give the A10 3 NCAAT bids.
I am thinking VCU and the Bonnies are already in.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I am rooting for SLU, they have the best chance of beating either VCU or Bonnies and probably give the A10 3 NCAAT bids.
I am thinking VCU and the Bonnies are already in.
As much as I want to root against all A-10 teams right now out of jealous spite, I'll have to agree.

Maybe since we finished 10th the A-10 will give us more A-10 NCAA tournament money.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If STL beats Bona and plays VCU in the finals you would think about 80 % chance 3 teams get bids
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago If STL beats Bona and plays VCU in the finals you would think about 80 % chance 3 teams get bids
Right now all three have an NET ranking in the top 40. They might all get at large invites if teams were picked now.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago If STL beats Bona and plays VCU in the finals you would think about 80 % chance 3 teams get bids
Right now all three have an NET ranking in the top 40. They might all get at large invites if teams were picked now.
SLU should have a pretty strong chance of getting in if they beat St Bonaventure.

Would be their second win over them.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bracketmatrix right now has STL the 2nd team out of the field before their win so they are knocking on the door
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Watching Davidson destroy Mason.

Nice watching a team that although they aren't the most athletic, they are fundamentally sound, move the ball well on offense, play solid defense, and can SHOOT THE BALL.

McKillop doesn't recruit 4 stars either....he can't get them anyway. Their facilities and budget are nowhere near the top of the A10 either.

The guy is just a great coach, develops and maximizes the talent available.

His teams don't have a really high ceiling, they aren't athletic enough, but they are consistently good especially late in seasons.

Everything that Davidson and McKillop are, URI and Cox isn't. And that is infuriating.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Watching Davidson destroy Mason.

Nice watching a team that although they aren't the most athletic, they are fundamentally sound, move the ball well on offense, play solid defense, and can SHOOT THE BALL.

McKillop doesn't recruit 4 stars either....he can't get them anyway. Their facilities and budget are nowhere near the top of the A10 either.

His teams don't have a really high ceiling, they aren't athletic enough, but they are consistently good especially late in seasons.

Everything that Davidson and McKillop are, URI and Cox isn't. And that is infuriating.
......yep, committed to a system, his system, both ends of floor, recruits to that system to fill roster spots rather than chasing over rated talent to figure out what to do with them......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Davidson is so lucky to have a coach such as McKillop...a guy who's happy to stay there and can, because he's good and the team meets the school's expectations. He will retire a Wildcat.

Bonnies have that situation too.....but that may change soon.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Davidson is so lucky to have a coach such as McKillop...a guy who's happy to stay there and can, because he's good and the team meets the school's expectations. He will retire a Wildcat.

Bonnies have that situation too.....but that may change soon.
Agree for sure MCKillop is a top notch coach glad they came to the A10
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

......yep, committed to a system, his system, both ends of floor, recruits to that system to fill roster spots rather than chasing over rated talent to figure out what to do with them......no?
Let’s not compare the guy who has coached at the same place for 30 years to the guy who has been a head coach for 3. We have a younger coach who can bring in talent and needs to find his identity still. I guarantee if Cox is no longer our coach he goes to another team, does well and is a P5 coach. Ride it out, we will be fine.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like cox but generally don’t think college basketball coach is some impossible job to be good. There are a lot of stories about coaches just rolling the balls out and mailing it in URI 08-10 anybody?

If they think cox can come back and make it happen then great - please come back and make it happen. If not? Hire some other guy who can.

I also don’t think it is an impossible task to figure out who is good to run the program if you’re paying attention. For the record Cox likely would check most of the boxes I would worry about when they hired him.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

Let’s not compare the guy who has coached at the same place for 30 years to the guy who has been a head coach for 3. We have a younger coach who can bring in talent and needs to find his identity still. I guarantee if Cox is no longer our coach he goes to another team, does well and is a P5 coach. Ride it out, we will be fine.

...Did Rhody72 steal your account?
Go Rhody