Game # 24: Rams at Duquesne, Sat 2/27 7pm ESPN+

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game # 24: Rams at Duquesne, Sat 2/27 7pm ESPN+

Unread post by RF1 »

Two losses in a row to Duquense (in the same season no less). Consecutive losses to the Dukes had not happened to URI since 1995. Rhody had won 21 of the last 28 games played between the teams prior to this train-wreck of a season.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Harris- 0 points, 0 assists, 3 rebounds. In 18 min. That’s awful.
Harris actually did a good job of keeping the ball moving on offense. He hit Betrand wide open in the corner with a nice pass and the attempted close-out led to his dunk. Jermaine understands that side of the floor.

He does not anticipate well on the defensive end of the floor. His career so far has been lackluster but he has not regressed. He does not jump well. He never was going to be Kenny Green. He should improve with coaching.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Harris- 0 points, 0 assists, 3 rebounds. In 18 min. That’s awful.
Harris actually did a good job of keeping the ball moving on offense. He hit Betrand wide open in the corner with a nice pass and the attempted close-out led to his dunk. Jermaine understands that side of the floor.

He does not anticipate well on the defensive end of the floor. His career so far has been lackluster but he has not regressed. He does not jump well. He never was going to be Kenny Green. He should improve with coaching.
I thought his pass to Betrand was nicely done and I thought he would get an assist on it but immediately checked the live box score and none credited. I suppose a judgement call be the official scorer? What did you think?

Harris passed the ball whereas most of the rest of the team seemed more confused, disoriented, Chinese fire drill type approach. As has been often stated this year there is no leader. Jeff Dowtin type has not stepped up.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He has one billion percent regressed. How the hell are people still in this kids corner???

We’re giving him credit now for passing to someone who is wide open??? Think about that. Giving a Top 80 recruited junior credit for making a pass to someone who is wide open.

Career worst in minutes per game, points per game, FG %, FT %, averaging 2.9 rebounds per game as a 6’9 junior who has 60+ games started in his career.

PLEASE tell me how that’s not regression. Still can’t run, jump, show any offensive skill, and is shooting 43% from the line.

People are still defending Harris who does NOTHING on a nightly basis yet still somehow shit on Fatts when he’s the only one who showed up last night / 90% of games this season.

Truly incredible.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone have a video of the Betrand Dunk?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

He has one billion percent regressed. How the hell are people still in this kids corner???

We’re giving him credit now for passing to someone who is wide open??? Think about that. Giving a Top 80 recruited junior credit for making a pass to someone who is wide open.

Career worst in minutes per game, points per game, FG %, FT %, averaging 2.9 rebounds per game as a 6’9 junior who has 60+ games started in his career.

PLEASE tell me how that’s not regression. Still can’t run, jump, show any offensive skill, and is shooting 43% from the line.

People are still defending Harris who does NOTHING on a nightly basis yet still somehow shit on Fatts when he’s the only one who showed up last night / 90% of game this season.

Truly incredible.
Do yourself a favor, leave your apartment and go for a walk. You might feel better. I'm not here to have meaningless arguments with other posters.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone have a video of the Betrand Dunk?
Channel 10 news had it last night, so you might find it on their site.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Channel 10 news had it last night, so you might find it on their site.
Thanks
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If the defense is sluggish, mix it up. Go full court pressure to get their asses in gear. If someone is still dogging it, sit their ass on the bench. Something isn't working? Do something else. That's called coaching.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

People are still defending Harris who does NOTHING on a nightly basis yet still somehow shit on Fatts when he’s the only one who showed up last night / 90% of game this season.

Truly incredible.
Do yourself a favor, leave your apartment and go for a walk. You might feel better. I'm not here to have meaningless arguments with other posters.

Tell me where I’m wrong with anything I just said.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago If the defense is sluggish, mix it up. Go full court pressure to get their asses in gear. If someone is still dogging it, sit their ass on the bench. Something isn't working? Do something else. That's called coaching.
Yeah, looks like they're taking a hard pass on that approach...at least for now.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Two losses in a row to Duquense (in the same season no less). Consecutive losses to the Dukes had not happened to URI since 1995. Rhody had won 21 of the last 28 games played between the teams prior to this train-wreck of a season.
The same Duquesne team that got waxed by LaSalle by 20 points three days earlier. LaSalle! Let that sink in for a minute or two.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

They used Fatts like a punching bag . He was hurting , scored 27 and in my opinion LAST night was the only D 1 level player in Rhody Blue !! LAY OFF of Fatts . You Morons . GO FATTS ! 1 rebound short of a triple double against GW a feat only accomplished by ONE URI men's basketball player , Delroy Jane's, in over 100 years ! So stick that in your pipe and smoke it .
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Two losses in a row to Duquense (in the same season no less). Consecutive losses to the Dukes had not happened to URI since 1995. Rhody had won 21 of the last 28 games played between the teams prior to this train-wreck of a season.
The same Duquesne team that got waxed by LaSalle by 20 points three days earlier. LaSalle! Let that sink in for a minute or two.

I’d love to say it can’t get worse, but how is it going to get better without Fatts and Sheppard?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And George Mason beat LaSalle 89-54 yesterday - 35 points.

George Mason beats LaSalle by 35
LaSalle beats Duquesne by 20
Duquesne beats URI by 11

So does George Mason beat URI by 66 :roll: :roll:

1-St. Bonaventure (11-3) (13-3)
2-VCU (10-4) (17-6)
3-UMASS (6-3) (7-5)
4-Davidson (7-4) (12-7)
5-Richmond (6-4) (13-6)
6-George Mason (8-6) (12-8)
7-Saint Louis (5-4) (12-5)
8-Dayton (8-7) (12-8)
9-Duquesne (7-7) (8-8)
10-Rhode Island (7-10) (10-14)
11-George Washington (3-5) (4-11)
12-La Salle (6-11) (9-15)
13-Saint Joseph's (2-9) (3-14)
14-Fordham (2-11) (2-11)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I wish I had something better to do on a Friday night.

Idk what that says about me.
Especially since today is Saturday :lol:
Finally smiled since 7 pm! CHEERS!

GO RHODY!

Brady1,

You need to post more :D
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Two losses in a row to Duquense (in the same season, no less). Consecutive losses to the Dukes had not happened to URI since 1995. Rhody had won 21 of the last 28 games played between the teams prior to this train-wreck of a season.

I’d love to say it can’t get worse, but how is it going to get better without Fatts and Sheppard?
If I'm Thorr, I'm personally reaching out to the twins and Ish and asking how they feel right now. Obviously, he can't ask them if I get rid of Cox will you stay, but he can better understand how our guys feel about their future. I don't buy that our key guys will leave if Cox goes. Not after the way the team and players look right now. They all look miserable and unmotivated.

I'm assuming Cox will bring in some sort of veteran guard next season. What worries me is we may never have the upside we have in the Mithchell twins. If we can't surround them with better players, that's a huge, huge failure. Props to Cox for landing them, but he needs to get them help.

At this point, I don't know who will be back next season.

I pray Shep comes back, but why would he?

Fatts looks like he can't wait to leave. He looked so pissed and disappointed in our team and coach last night. He deserves better.

Makhel has shown he is a P5 big. Teams were worried about taking them on as a package deal. They certainly won't be anymore. I know Cox has a great relationship with them, but they want to win. They certainly don't want to continue to watch our guards constantly lose their man and then get into foul trouble all the time. Makhel looked furious on the bench last night. We lose them. Cox should be fired immediately.

Is Walker happy about his playing time? It seems as if he has to dominate to get the playing time he deserves. Even when he does play well, Cox has sat him. Why play for a coach that continues to play guys that you're consistently outplaying? If we lose Walker, Cox should be fired immediately.

Ish will probably stay because he seems like one of those loyal old-school players but he's not ready to be a consistent All-A10 player. I don't see him doing that until his junior year. He's going to have plenty of ups and downs. If we lose Ish, Cox should be fired immediately.

Malik and Betrand will still be solid pieces but nothing more than role players. I'm assuming they stay, but they won't be difference makers.

Carey looked better last night. He reminded me that if he can somehow learn how to dribble and not be a walking turnover, he has the athletic ability to blow by guards and has a great touch around the hoop. He's another player that is nothing more than a role player, though.

Devale can shoot, but he's weak in many other areas. Has plenty of upside with the right coaching. The question is, does he feels he's getting the right coaching?

The rest of the guys I will need to see to make an honest opinion.

The bottom line is next year looks bleak if Cox is the head coach. We have some talented players on this roster, and under the right leadership, we could make some noise in the A10. We couldn't land a bid with players like Fatts, Tyrese, Jeff, and Cyril. We are near the bottom of the A10 with players like Fatts, Shep, and Makhel. I can't imagine what next year will be like under this staff...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Haven’t seen it, so if previously posted, I apologize ,but ,what is wrong and status of Shepherd?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 3 years ago Haven’t seen it, so if previously posted, I apologize ,but ,what is wrong and status of Shepherd?
I haven't seen much of an update but sounds like a sprained ankle
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the announcer said he was on crutches in the locker room area at halftime so who knows the severity and if he plays on Thursday
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

If I'm Thorr, I'm personally reaching out to the twins and Ish and asking how they feel right now. Obviously, he can't ask them if I get rid of Cox will you stay, but he can better understand how our guys feel about their future. I don't buy that our key guys will leave if Cox goes. Not after the way the team and players look right now. They all look miserable and unmotivated.
FWIW, Makhi, Makhel, and Ish (and maybe more importantly, their families) are all in on Cox.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Then they are happy to be part of a losing program, if true.

Again, Thorr is NOT going to hold a program hostage just because a few players like the coach, and might leave if he's fired.

WINNING is more important, at least that what Thorr has told us about his expectations for the program.

And at URI and most programs, WINNING brings in money. Priorities.

If we have a another season like this one next year, how much more money will the school lose?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was all in on my last girlfriend until I realized she was a psycho. Things can change.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So was I with my 3 wives.

If they think Cox is a good coach, then there are no words.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't we already try that rodeo?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago If the defense is sluggish, mix it up. Go full court pressure to get their asses in gear. If someone is still dogging it, sit their ass on the bench. Something isn't working? Do something else. That's called coaching.
Yeah, looks like they're taking a hard pass on that approach...at least for now.
In high school, going to the press works. Not sure much in college. Generally, guys are too big (pass over it) and too quick with the ball (liberal dribbling rules) so the press can lead to easy baskets.

Sparty went down 11-0 today at Maryland...no press from Izzo.

Going to the bench usually gets players attention.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

FWIW, Makhi, Makhel, and Ish (and maybe more importantly, their families) are all in on Cox.
Are we really sure about that though? I know how well connected you are so I'm legitimately asking your thoughts.

The hypothetical asks I have:

Do you think kids with the talent of the Mitchell twins want to play for a program with diminishing championship prospects?

If you're their mom, are you not looking at the fact that the defense has left Makhel in iso post up situations with zero help all year? With poor defensive communication and slow rotations it forces him to collect a ton of fouls. Affecting his ability to produce and play aggressive.

If you're Ish's mom, are you not looking at the fact that your son was probably robbed a chance to be rookie of the year in the conference because the coach played Carey twice his minutes for 3/4 of the season?

Of course they came here for Cox, but I wouldn't be as sure they're "all in" like they were.

I've been "all in" in previous relationships too, doesn't mean it stayed that way once I saw how things were going. Just my two cents.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Koch had it:

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Are we really sure about that though? I know how well connected you are so I'm legitimately asking your thoughts.

Do you think kids with the talent of the Mitchell twins want to play for a program with diminishing championship prospects?

If you're their mom, are you not looking at the fact that the defense has left Makhel in iso post up situations with zero help all year? With poor defensive communication and slow rotations it forces him to collect a ton of fouls. Affecting his ability to produce and play aggressive.

If you're Ish's mom, are you not looking at the fact that your son was probably robbed a chance to be rookie of the year in the conference because the coach played Carey twice his minutes for 3/4 of the season?

Of course they came here for Cox, but I wouldn't be as sure they're "all in" like they were.

I've been "all in" in previous relationships too, doesn't mean it stayed that way once I saw how things were going. Just my two cents.
Blue Man, yes things do change as far as connections/relationships and what may be best for them.

But why would they choose to stay here and go through a whole new rebuilding process, with a staff that they have no ties with?

Many programs with better situations will be courting them.

I think you are grasping at straws here, thinking everything will be wonderful with our core here, during this transition.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would they really transfer again?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Would they really transfer again?
Why wouldn't they and why would they choose to stay, when the main reason they came here would be gone?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Transferring is a major task, athletics and academically. Not too many guys do it twice, back to back seasons.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Transferring is a major task, athletics and academically. Not too many guys do it twice, back to back seasons.
You would probably be surprised at how many have, some multiple times, especially during a staff turnover.
Our situation is also a little different due to the fact that our head coach also happened to be the lead recruiter on these kids.

It is probably easier to make this change after just one year than waiting and doing it after they have already established themselves here.
Believe me once they make themselves available, the other schools will help make that transition much easier.

Many here need to accept the fact that if a change is made now, it will be a complete rebuild and will take time. We will not all of a sudden become a major player. Besides getting rid of a new head coach who is 49-38 after just 3 years during a pandemic won't sit well in the coaching community, it's not like we are a blueblood program.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Koch had it:

We've sunk so low we're tweeting a dunk made in another hapless loss to a mediocre team.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Blue Man, yes things do change as far as connections/relationships and what may be best for them.

But why would they choose to stay here and go through a whole new rebuilding process, with a staff that they have no ties with?

I think you are grasping at straws here, thinking everything will be wonderful with our core here, during this transition.
Well based on our recent history with transfers, I think it's equally "grasping at strawsy" to assume that these guys would stay with no coaching change.

What does a "rebuild" matter anyway. We are lucky to be 4 games under .500 with the team we have, losing our top 2 scorers. So no matter what we're rebuilding next year. Who says those kids want to stay for a rebuild with Cox who brought the program down to this point?

Regardless, I think it has been well established (or it should be by now) that you do not hire a coach to keep players. If you hire the right coach the players will come. Period.

If we hadn't hired Jerry D to try and foolishly keep Lamar, we could've hired Jay Wright from Hofstra.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The near future for this program does not look good, whether it's the players or the coaching, or both.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The near future for this program does not look good, whether it's the players or the coaching, or both.
Plenty of good seats available?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Well based on our recent history with transfers, I think it's equally "grasping at strawsy" to assume that these guys would stay with no coaching change.

What does a "rebuild" matter anyway. We are lucky to be 4 games under .500 with the team we have, losing our top 2 scorers. So no matter what we're rebuilding next year. Who says those kids want to stay for a rebuild with Cox who brought the program down to this point?

Regardless, I think it has been well established (or it should be by now) that you do not hire a coach to keep players. If you hire the right coach the players will come. Period.

If we hadn't hired Jerry D to try and foolishly keep Lamar, we could've hired Jay Wright from Hofstra.
Yep, outlook for next season not bright at this point.

We can't look back though, probably only 1 game left, and we have all off-season to lick our wounds.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even if fans had been able to go to the games this season, how many would have come?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Koch had it:

We've sunk so low we're tweeting a dunk made in another hapless loss to a mediocre team.
I think it is an excellent play by Betrand, a new transfer to URI trying to acclimate. It showed me what Betrand is capable of - and that he could be fearless and not tentative. Shows he is gaining confidence which is important heading into A10 Tourney and next season.

Impressive to me about this play is that it was against 6'8" Senior Michael Hughes. Hughes is a solid A10 big men. Hughes is 6th in A10 in rebounding and 5th in blocked shots and yet Betrand took it right at him.

Also loved replaying the one handed shovel pass from Sheppard to Harris. Sheppard is a very good passer. Harris juggled it a bit, allowing defense to cover him closer, then he smartly fired a bullet pass to Betrand in the corner who did the rest. Nice replay to watch multiple times.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Betrand needs to work in that outside shot during the off-season need him to hit that 3 ball consistently
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Betrand needs to work in that outside shot during the off-season need him to hit that 3 ball consistently
Needs to work on everything*
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Even if fans had been able to go to the games this season, how many would have come?
Who's going to go next year? (Spoiler alert: me)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Betrand isn't going to become a great shooter in his senior year.

It's the same as Fatts.