Games of interest - Rest of Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: Games of interest - Rest of Season

Unread post by Ramball »

Check out the box score for tonight's Bonaventure game vs Davidson. Three starters played all 40 minutes, one played 39 and the other 35 minutes. Not saying we should do that but I would like to see Fatts. Shep and Ish play around 35 minutes with Walker and Mitchell getting close to 30 minutes, assuming there are no foul issues.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Very fluid, see how it shakes out but that is how it currently looks.
Hopefully VCU and Bona are good locks and someone else wins the A10T
Someone like......us...
Yeah bad loss Hall and Xavier might lose too
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Absolutely bonkers in the A10 this year - by my math if we had beat GW and then beat Duquesne we could have finished as high as fifth in the league. Anyone can beat anyone this year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday February 26
  • George Washington @ St Bonaventure 6pm ESPN+
  • Richmond @ St Louis 7pm ESPN2
Saturday February 27
  • VCU @ Davidson 2pm ESPNU
  • LaSalle @ George Mason 4:30pm
  • URI @ Duquesne 7pm ESPN+

Sunday February 28
  • Dayton @ St Bonaventure TBD
Monday March 1
  • UMASS @ St Louis 6pm
  • St Joseph's @ Richmond 6pm ESPN+

1- St Bonaventure (10-3)
2- VCU (10-3)
3- Richmond (6-3)
4- UMASS (6-3)
5- Davidson (6-4)
6- George Mason (7-6)
7- Dayton (8-7)
8- Saint Louis (4-4)
9- Duquesne (6-7)
10- URI (7-9)
11- George Washington (3-4)
12- LaSalle (6-10)
13- St Joseph's (2-9)
14- Fordham (2-11)

If Tournament held today:
#10 URI vs #7 Dayton March 4
Winner plays #2 VCU March 5
Winner plays from among the winner of #3, #6, #12, #13 (Richmond, George Mason, LaSalle, St Joseph's March 6
Championship Game March 14 in Dayton
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramball wrote: 3 years ago Check out the box score for tonight's Bonaventure game vs Davidson. Three starters played all 40 minutes, one played 39 and the other 35 minutes. Not saying we should do that but I would like to see Fatts. Shep and Ish play around 35 minutes with Walker and Mitchell getting close to 30 minutes, assuming there are no foul issues.
Not that unusual to see Coaches narrow the rotation fo 6 or 7 players toward the end of the season and for the A10 Tournament. Mark Schmidt HC St Bonaventure always does that.

Jadrian Tracey played 13 minutes off the bench for St Joseph's in the 97-84 win over Dayton. He is a freshman. Only 6 guys played.
Freshman Jordan Hall played the whole game as did Ryan Daly and Taylor Funk

Funk was on fire scoring 36 points on 10-18 FG, 5-11 on 3FG, 11-11 FT
Daly scored 25 points on 9-19 FG, 5-11 on 3FG, 2-2 FT
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

How would this message board react to the Dayton loss at St Joe's. Dayton is a good team with some senior leadership. Anthony Grant is a proven winner. How does he lose to URI when Dayton was up 18 in the 2nd half and then lose to St Joe's who is winless in the A10?? Sometime sports is cruel. What was his strategy? Did he do a scout? How does Daly score 25 points?

College Hoops is fragile unless you are a Tier 1 program. Even if you are it is a fine line of failure or success. Look at Duke and Coach K.

I don't think Cox is the greatest coach. I like him for URI. I hope he matures as a leader and surrounds himself with better X and O's coaching next year. Maybe assistant coach budget should be the #1 priority for us in the offseason.

The A10 is tougher than we think.

Here is to RHODY getting their act together and being a much better group next year. We have talent - Mitchell Brothers , Ish , Sky Walker, please let Shep stay for one more year. I think we can compete. But as said before in at least a 1000 posts - we need an Offensive Strategy and we need to install the never say die Defensive effort.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URIFIJI wrote: 3 years ago How would this message board react to the Dayton loss at St Joe's. Dayton is a good team with some senior leadership. Anthony Grant is a proven winner. How does he lose to URI when Dayton was up 18 in the 2nd half and then lose to St Joe's who is winless in the A10?? Sometime sports is cruel. What was his strategy? Did he do a scout? How does Daly score 25 points?

College Hoops is fragile unless you are a Tier 1 program. Even if you are it is a fine line of failure or success. Look at Duke and Coach K.

I don't think Cox is the greatest coach. I like him for URI. I hope he matures as a leader and surrounds himself with better X and O's coaching next year. Maybe assistant coach budget should be the #1 priority for us in the offseason.

Here is to RHODY getting their act together and being a much better group next year. We have talent - Mitchell Brothers , Ish , Sky Walker, please let Shep stay for one more year. I think we can compete. But as said before in at least a 1000 posts - we need an Offensive Strategy and we need to install the never say die Defensive effort.
Do you mean how would we react to a coach with a proven head coaching track record like 5 conference titles, 3 NCAA appearances, 4 NIT's including an NIT runner up, and coming off a year where you had an undefeated conference championship, shoo-in NCAA #1 seed, and probably the best team in program history?

I think we'd give it some latitude as an isolated incident.

The problem is no one can point to a single improvement in this program in the past 3 years. Every player that has stuck with Cox has gotten worse. Our performance has gotten worse - both year in/year out, and overall. We get weaker later in the year. There are numerous tactical errors, and more worrisome, awful responses at press conferences where he openly admits not properly scouting or being prepared for other teams.

He took our best PG off the ball for two years and we suffered. His substitution patterns and lineups are questionable at best. There is zero consistency in his game management, and his adjustments are either not noticeable or non-existent.

Dave Cox has never been in the lead chair before - not in high school, not in college, not anywhere. It is not for everyone.

This is not a level where you can afford to let someone learn on the job. And not for nothing, you can tell right away whether a coach has "it" or doesn't.

Every year spent on letting a coach figure it out is an additional 2-3 more years before you'll compete again.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URIFIJI wrote: 3 years ago How would this message board react to the Dayton loss at St Joe's. Dayton is a good team with some senior leadership. Anthony Grant is a proven winner. How does he lose to URI when Dayton was up 18 in the 2nd half and then lose to St Joe's who is winless in the A10?? Sometime sports is cruel. What was his strategy? Did he do a scout? How does Daly score 25 points?
FWIW, the Dayton board is completely off the rails...

There's also a 'Fire Anthony Grant' thread that is three pages and counting.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton sure has had their share of duds this year blown out by 30 at VCU and losses to Fordham , Duquesne and StJoes

Last year they were a top 4 NCAA team so I guess the pressure will be on Grant next year
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man again nails it.

We would have known by now if David Cox was going to become a good coach.

There would have been plenty of positive signs, even if there were growing pains evident.

Right now there are NO positive signs...just more and more negative signs.

The question now is, when will URI decide enough is enough....probably not as soon as a lot of us would like, unfortunately.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Do you mean how would we react to a coach with a proven head coaching track record like 5 conference titles, 3 NCAA appearances, 4 NIT's including an NIT runner up, and coming off a year where you had an undefeated conference championship, shoo-in NCAA #1 seed, and probably the best team in program history?

I think we'd give it some latitude as an isolated incident.

The problem is no one can point to a single improvement in this program in the past 3 years. Every player that has stuck with Cox has gotten worse. Our performance has gotten worse - both year in/year out, and overall. We get weaker later in the year. There are numerous tactical errors, and more worrisome, awful responses at press conferences where he openly admits not properly scouting or being prepared for other teams.

He took our best PG off the ball for two years and we suffered. His substitution patterns and lineups are questionable at best. There is zero consistency in his game management, and his adjustments are either not noticeable or non-existent.

Dave Cox has never been in the lead chair before - not in high school, not in college, not anywhere. It is not for everyone.

This is not a level where you can afford to let someone learn on the job. And not for nothing, you can tell right away whether a coach has "it" or doesn't.

Every year spent on letting a coach figure it out is an additional 2-3 more years before you'll compete again.
Don't disagree with your post. Just stating how crazy we get when our team sucks when we think they should be better.

The fire the coach thread validates what I am saying
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last Night:
Houston clobbered Western Kentucky by 24 holding Bassey to only 9 points

Arizona State won again as Kimani Lawrence had a grown man's double-double: 20 rebounds and 21 points. Lawrence is from Providence. Why can't Cooley, Hurley (Lawrence is a Senior) or Cox keep players like Lawrence in RI? Cooley cancelling the PC-URI game this year certainly does't help the state of RI keep local talent home. #whoducken

Friday February 26
George Washington (-14) @ St Bonaventure 6pm ESPN+
Richmond @ St Louis (-4.5) 7pm ESPN2

Saturday February 27
VCU @ Davidson 2pm ESPNU
LaSalle @ George Mason 4:30pm
URI @ Duquesne 7pm ESPN+
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond St Louis will be a war thinking Bills get them at home
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big half Bona 42-21 over GW

Bona 8-14 from 3 playing the best ball in the conf
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bona must be playing good D against GW's 2 best players.

Just the opposite from what we did.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SLU over Richmond 33-24 at half, important game for Richmond to give them a glimmer of hope.
Rough season for both with all their senior starters.
SLU struggled through the long Covid pause and Richmond losing star player Nick Sherod prior to the start of the season, crazy year.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If the Bonnies didn’t just punch their ticket, I don’t know what could. Wow
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond refuses to show up

Awful Mooney awful
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anyone on this board think that Bona has a lot more overall talent than we do?

They are more talented, but the gap isn't anywhere near as big as the performance difference between the 2 teams.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone on this board think that Bona has a lot more overall talent than we do?

They are more talented, but the gap isn't anywhere near as big as the performance difference between the 2 teams.
No, because we did manage to beat them. But their main core are all juniors that are very good and have been together for awhile.

The biggest difference is Schmidt vs. Cox, no comparison at this time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

77, your last sentence sums it up.

The only difference between your opinion and mine, is that you think Cox could turn things around.

I don't share that opinion, unfortunately.

And after 3 years, the facts bear me out.
Last edited by rambone 78 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone on this board think that Bona has a lot more overall talent than we do?

No, because we did manage to beat them. But their main core are all juniors that are very good and have been together for awhile.

The biggest difference is Schmidt vs. Cox, no comparison at this time.
Yea it’s coaching. That’s it. Talent is similar.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago 77, your last sentence sums it up.

The only difference between your opinion and mine, is that you think Cox could turn things around.

Like I keep saying the jury is still out on Cox for me. I need to see more, before I come to that conclusion. I doubt the administration is also ready to give up on him yet. 3 years is not that long especially considering year 1 was his first ever running a program and years 2/3 were somewhat impacted by the pandemic.

Like I said you may be right, I am just not there yet.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

St Louis still has a chance to get in too. Good wins over LSU and NC state and good conference wins. Could be 3 A10 teams in.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's going to take the admin coming to the conclusion that Cox can't get us to the dance, and how long before they make that decision.

Due to the pandemic and the financial issues caused by that, I can't see URI pulling the plug yet.

One more season, that's it. If there is no improvement next season and they don't let him go, then I give up.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago St Louis still has a chance to get in too. Good wins over LSU and NC state and good conference wins. Could be 3 A10 teams in.
I guess it is possible, though their body of work has really been impacted by the Covid pause.

They have a very talented roster with several senior stars and many in the basketball community are aware of how good they are even though their season has been up and down.

I guess you can say they are the type of team no one wants to face in the tournament, because they are capable of beating anyone.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like I keep saying the jury is still out on Cox for me. I need to see more, before I come to that conclusion. I doubt the administration is also ready to give up on him yet. 3 years is not that long especially considering year 1 was his first ever running a program and years 2/3 were somewhat impacted by the pandemic.

How were years 2/3 impacted by the pandemic? Was this pandemic impact different for URI vs the other 350 D1 teams?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

How were years 2/3 impacted by the pandemic? Was this pandemic impact different for URI vs the other 350 D1 teams?
I mean, the pandemic cancelled the conference tourney.

Now were we going to win that? No, unless Dayton somehow got upset before the finals. But he technically isn’t wrong when he says the pandemic affected year 2.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Now were we going to win that? No, unless Dayton somehow got upset before the finals. But he technically isn’t wrong when he says the pandemic affected year 2.
That is not my question. Of course the pandemic impacted. My question is how did that impact URI differently from the other 350 schools?

It seems the pandemic keeps coming up as an excuse for URI. How was URI impacted for better or for worse vs the other 350 teams? Or just for the other 13 A10 teams?

I could say Cox got a humongous break from the Covid because the NCAA granted 5 waivers to URI so 5 transfers could play immediately. He was at a greater advantage since he had 5 players in waiting?

True?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago St Louis still has a chance to get in too. Good wins over LSU and NC state and good conference wins. Could be 3 A10 teams in.
I guess it is possible, though their body of work has really been impacted by the Covid pause.

They have a very talented roster with several senior stars and many in the basketball community are aware of how good they are even though their season has been up and down.

I guess you can say they are the type of team no one wants to face in the tournament, because they are capable of beating anyone.
Lunardi was in the broadcast he said the best scenario for A10 is ST Louis or Richmond win the A10 tourney as it looks good right now for VCU and Bona If that happens it’s possible for 3 If not good chance for 2 if VCU and Bona take care of business
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago

Lunardi was in the broadcast he said the best scenario for A10 is ST Louis or Richmond win the A10 tourney as it looks good right now for VCU and Bona If that happens it’s possible for 3 If not good chance for 2 if VCU and Bona take care of business
Saint Louis and Richmond would need to win the A10 Tournament (as would all other A10 teams besides VCU and St Bonaventure. Their NETs of 50 and 52 are not going to get them in as at large teams.

VCU and St Bonaventure probably need to get to the Semi Finals of the A10 Tournament at least - can't lose in quarterfinals

NET
33 - VCU (17-5)
35 - St. Bonaventure (12-3)
50 - Saint Louis (11-5)
52 - Richmond (12-5)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Games for Saturday February 27
  • VCU @ Davidson (-3) 2pm ESPNU
  • LaSalle @ George Mason (-7) 4:30pm
  • URI @ Duquesne (-1) 7pm ESPN+
  • #14 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech (-3.5) 12pm CBS
  • Marquette @ UCONN (-7) 2:30pm FOX
  • Florida @ Kentucky (-2.5) 4pm CBS - Calipari goes for 4th straight SEC win, NET up to 63, up to (7-7) in Conference play with Florida (8-5) (12-6), @ Mississippi (8-7) (13-9) and South Carolina (3-10) (5-12) to go before SEC Tournament. Could go into SEC Tournament (10-7) with 6 straight wins??? Dick Vitale will go NUTS!!
  • #2 Baylor (-5) @ #17 Kansas 8pm ESPN
  • San Francisco @ Pacific (-1) 10pm PAC
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can tell who the good coaches are.

Those are the teams that have improved toward the end of the season, and have a shot at the NCAA's.

Of course, if you're Kentucky, Duke, or Michigan State, if you're on the bubble you're in.

TV ratings will be everything since there will be limited fans.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is not my question. Of course the pandemic impacted. My question is how did that impact URI differently from the other 350 schools?

It seems the pandemic keeps coming up as an excuse for URI. How was URI impacted for better or for worse vs the other 350 teams? Or just for the other 13 A10 teams?

I could say Cox got a humongous break from the Covid because the NCAA granted 5 waivers to URI so 5 transfers could play immediately. He was at a greater advantage since he had 5 players in waiting?

True?
I didn't say the pandemic impacted URI differently than the other schools

My point is and what I was referring to was, that this event occurred in only Cox's first 3 years of total heading coaching experience . What he went through in these first 3 years of ever running a program was not a normal situation. I don't think there is a large enough body of work to make that final evaluation of him, I certainly don't think the administration is giving up on him yet.

You may be in the camp that feels Cox needs to be thrown out with the dishwater after this season and start from scratch again, but I am in disagreement.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True?
I didn't say the pandemic impacted URI differently than the other schools

My point is and what I was referring to was, that this was just Cox's first 3 years of heading coaching experience . What he went through in these first 3 years of ever running a program was not a normal situation. I don't think there is a large enough body of work to make that final evaluation of him, I certainly don't think the administration is giving up on him yet.

You may be in the camp that feels Cox needs to be thrown out with the dishwater after this season and start from scratch again, but I am in disagreement.
I knew what you meant, I don't think Rhody15 did based on his response.

I'd look at what is happening with the URI Women's team as a perfect example of how you do not need to fear a long 3-4 year rebuilding process if you change Head Coaches.

Just as with Hurley, year 4, let the season play out. Cox could still win the A10 Tournament.
Keys to me would be to:
  • Maximize Leggett's minutes (he needs to play all 40 minutes).
  • Play Sheppard 40 minutes, Mitchell as long as he can go
  • Play Walker 35 minutes
  • Play Martin and Johnson as needed. Martin for defensive pressure and Johnson for 3FG needs
  • Don't play Betrand or Carey
  • 3FG attempts need to be by Sheppard (37-92 = 40.2%), Leggett (14-31 = 45.2%) and Johnson (22-60 = 36.7%)(
  • All need to know to maximize 3 FG attempts to Sheppard, Leggett and Johnson. Others should shoot 3FGs only as "break glass in case of fire"
  • 3FG attempts should be minimized by Russell (22-90 = 24.4%), Martin (13-46 = 28.3%) and Walker (8-28 = 28.6%)
  • 3FG attempts should not be allowed by Betrand (13-50 = 26%), Harris (2-10 = 20%), Carey (0-7 = 0%) or Mitchell (0-2 = 0%)
  • Rotation needs to be reduced to Leggett, Mitchell, Walker, Sheppard and Russell
  • Bench reduced to Harris to sub for Mitchell as needed, Martin for Walker and guards as needed, Johnson for guards as needed.
At end of season Cox, Assistants and Players should be evaluated. I am still optimistic for A10 Tournament - we can win it - and of course it's our only chance. This team can win it but only if the poor 3FG Shooters allow their attempts to go to the proven solid 3FG shooters. Passing must improve and unselfish play encouraged and rewarded. Cox needs to really take charge now. All the players have had their chances to step up and prove them selves. Some have more than others as always will happen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

True?
He did get a gi-normous break compared to most...not only did he get 5 transfers immediately available...there was no real negative impact to scheduling, when for lots of other teams, there was. If anything, the pandemic gave them as much upside opportunity scheduling as we've seen here in a long time. They just didn't take advantage of it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant won games versus Derek Kellogg's LIU the last two nights to clinch a spot in the Covid reduced four team NEC Tournament. Has two more home games against Mt St Mary and with a single win will clinch the #1 seed which would guarantee all tourney games in Smithfield (where they are undefeated on the season). Currently have an overall record of 14-5 that includes at win at UMass (a team URI lost to twice).
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Bryant won games versus Derek Kellogg's LIU the last two nights to clinch a spot in the Covid reduced four team NEC Tournament. Has two more home games against Mt St Mary and with a single win will clinch the #1 seed which would guarantee all tourney games in Smithfield (where they are undefeated on the season). Currently have an overall record of 14-5 that includes at win at UMass (a team URI lost to twice).
I was told that Grasso would be a horrible candidate to consider once Cox is gone. I'll say it again. Grasso can coach and if you give him more resources he'll succeed. Certainly more than Cox. Apparently, we will land Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, so I guess it doesn't matter..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

True?
He did get a gi-normous break compared to most...not only did he get 5 transfers immediately available...there was no real negative impact to scheduling, when for lots of other teams, there was. If anything, the pandemic gave them as much upside opportunity scheduling as we've seen here in a long time. They just didn't take advantage of it.
Cox and the players deserve a ton of credit for never having any Covid breaks all season. Great job by Cox in that department...

That being said, We have to be one of the luckiest teams in the country to get everyone eligible after Cox lost most of our roster. We would have had a Jerry D type of season if Cox didn't catch a major break. I hope Thorr considers that when deciding if Cox should come back next year. I'm just happy we know our talent level. I would have gone into next season thinking Betrand was an all-A10 guard after reading some of the comments on here. I think he could be a nice piece, but we completely overhype players, and I'm never falling for that again.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox will sit down with Thorr after the season to talk and evaluate the season.

Every URI coach gets that routine every year.

Would like to be a fly on the wall for that one.

As we know, Thorr never badmouths his coaches in public.

I think even Cox has to know his job is on the line next season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

True?
Cox and the players deserve a ton of credit for never having any Covid breaks all season. Great job by Cox in that department...

That being said, We have to be one of the luckiest teams in the country to get everyone eligible after Cox lost most of our roster. We would have had a Jerry D type of season if Cox didn't catch a major break. I hope Thorr considers that when deciding if Cox should come back next year. I'm just happy we know our talent level. I would have gone into next season thinking Betrand was an all-A10 guard after reading some of the comments on here. I think he could be a nice piece, but we completely overhype players, and I'm never falling for that again.
Agree, if there's credit to be given for staying out of COVID trouble, then they should certainly get that.

I maybe question the lucky-ness though of getting everyone eligible. If they had not got everyone eligible, then what? Would the record have been that much different? Without all/any transfers, would the expectations have been much different from what has actually happened? Would it have been different enough to matter? Would upside have maybe kept us from the 12 man rotation debacle if only 1 or 2 got approved? ....will never know
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Agree, if there's credit to be given for staying out of COVID trouble, then they should certainly get that.

I maybe question the lucky-ness though of getting everyone eligible. If they had not got everyone eligible, then what? Would the record have been that much different? Without all/any transfers, would the expectations have been much different from what has actually happened? Would it have been different enough to matter? Would upside have maybe kept us from the 12 man rotation debacle if only 1 or 2 got approved? ....will never know
My guess is Cox was unlucky that the 5 guys were granted waivers - oddly enough.

Cox might have been better off if he had gone with Harris, Walker, Sheppard, Leggett, Russell, Johnson off the bench and played the freshmen who have not played all season.

Betrand, Carey, Martin and both Mitchells would have sat out and been ready for 2021-2022.

Leggett would have started from Day 1 and been playing 35 minutes per game. Playing time would have been spread across 7 players instead of 11 trying to find the right combination and best skilled players..

Cox would have gotten a free pass for this season - and everyone would be raving in anticipation of the 2021-22 season.

Nobody would have known the shortcomings of Martin, Betrand and Carey like they do now.

We probably would not have seeked out the Wisconsin game and others and Cooley likely would have not been in fear of us and played the game.

Who knows, but Cox would very likely not have as hot a seat as he has now from fans.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Games for Saturday February 27
  • VCU @ Davidson (-3) 2pm ESPNU
  • LaSalle @ George Mason (-7) 4:30pm
  • URI @ Duquesne (-1) 7pm ESPN+
  • #14 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech (-3.5) 12pm CBS
  • Marquette @ UCONN (-7) 2:30pm FOX
  • Florida @ Kentucky (-2.5) 4pm CBS - Calipari goes for 4th straight SEC win, NET up to 63, up to (7-7) in Conference play with Florida (8-5) (12-6), @ Mississippi (8-7) (13-9) and South Carolina (3-10) (5-12) to go before SEC Tournament. Could go into SEC Tournament (10-7) with 6 straight wins??? Dick Vitale will go NUTS!!
  • #2 Baylor (-5) @ #17 Kansas 8pm ESPN
  • San Francisco @ Pacific (-1) 10pm PAC
Texas Tech beats Texas
Dan Hurley dominated Marquette 80-62. Tyrese 8 rebounds 6 points
Davidson 65-57 win over VCU
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU loses moving closer to bubble , I still think they get in but doesn’t help them
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU loses to Davidson 57-65.
Tough break for VCU without their top player and leading scorer Bones Hyland and second leading corer Vince Williams injuring his foot in the 2nd half.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UConn looked pretty darn good. That guard combo is impressive. They seem to have an identity; playing thru those guards and tough D. We'll see where it gets them. Probably on the good side of the bubble as things stand right now.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago UConn looked pretty darn good. That guard combo is impressive. They seem to have an identity; playing thru those guards and tough D. We'll see where it gets them. Probably on the good side of the bubble as things stand right now.
Unless they crash and burn, they should be good.

This is probably Booknight's last year, so hopefully they can make a nice run in the NCAAT.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago UConn looked pretty darn good. That guard combo is impressive. They seem to have an identity; playing thru those guards and tough D. We'll see where it gets them. Probably on the good side of the bubble as things stand right now.
Unless they crash and burn, they should be good.

This is probably Booknight's last year, so hopefully they can make a nice run in the NCAAT.
Yes they are coming on for sure definitely looking like a big dance team even if they get another loss