David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Why were our TOs a season low last night...was it because we had 3 competent ball handlers in the game for 90% of the time (Shep, Fatts, Ish). Yep.

You can't play cbb without multiple guys that can put the ball on the floor and take a defender in ISO. At least 3 of them. We need some guard help for next year or we are still an incomplete team. Even 1 transfer in the Sheppard/Munford mold would take us to another level.
Agreed. Ive been thinking that a solid grad transfer point guard is a must.

Ish is the man. Have no idea what we have in Berry and of course we know Carey's struggles.
With the new transfer rules, it doesn't have to be a grad transfer. It can be anybody.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Why were our TOs a season low last night...was it because we had 3 competent ball handlers in the game for 90% of the time (Shep, Fatts, Ish). Yep.

You can't play cbb without multiple guys that can put the ball on the floor and take a defender in ISO. At least 3 of them. We need some guard help for next year or we are still an incomplete team. Even 1 transfer in the Sheppard/Munford mold would take us to another level.
Finding that guard in the transfer market is tough, we thought it was taken care of with AB and Carey. I would like to see a pure shooter with a good basketball IQ and not a loose cannon. We already have enough of the athletic types, that have trouble finishing and taking care of the ball.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What if somebody we were recruiting went somewhere else and aren't happy with their playing time at their current school? Just for the sake of argument, I'll pick a name out of a hat. A.J Hoggard...playing only 13 minutes per game at Michigan State. With the new transfer rules, you're going to see tons of kids in the transfer portal. The new thing will be re-recruiting, kids looking to either move down a level to play more or up a level to play a better level of competition. I think there will be tons of names to try and re-recruit. Just using Hoggard as an example as someone we were involved with that went elsewhere.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If some player with talent wants to transfer, they would probably check out the Board of a place before they decided to go there. How do our fans look to a recruit? They think, my parents/friends are going to read about me on this Board if I go there. Clearly, the posters on this Board do not help the program succeed.

There is a time to be critical, but this is not the time. Graduating two starting seniors from last year and losing two projected starters this year, Cox did a magnificent job in bringing in a truckload of cast-offs in order to cobble together a competitive team. Then we lose the best transfer for the season and our best returnee is injured. He puts together a tough OOC schedule and we get a near .500 record with some quality wins (SHU, SBU, VCU, Dayton). David Cox deserves better than what is being posted on this Board.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If some player with talent wants to transfer, they would probably check out the Board of a place before they decided to go there. How do our fans look to a recruit? They think, my parents/friends are going to read about me on this Board if I go there. Clearly, the posters on this Board do not help the program succeed.

There is a time to be critical, but this is not the time. Graduating two starting seniors from last year and losing two projected starters this year, Cox did a magnificent job in bringing in a truckload of cast-offs in order to cobble together a competitive team. Then we lose the best transfer for the season and our best returnee is injured. He puts together a tough OOC schedule and we get a near .500 record with some quality wins (SHU, SBU, VCU, Dayton). David Cox deserves better than what is being posted on this Board.
I'll provide some snippets for you from another message board. Try to figure out which one. But based on your illogic, they will not get transfers either:

"Highest paid coach and this is the product. Pure BULLSHIT!!!"

"Are we gonna have this same thread after every single loss? Because there will be lots more losses. But yeah, we get it already."

"Yeah I mean he’s lost the fans (not all) but most and he won’t be getting them back. His woke shit is the icing on the cake."

"He’s lost the fan base BIGLY and they’re not coming back."

"That being said. 95% of this board was proudly and outwardly supportive of xxx up until this year. Myself and others who are displeased were called sunshine pumpers FOR xxxx. I suppose 95% of this board is “fanatical”?

Fanatics? You post on this board too. xxxxxx basketball is a hobby. This is a message board meant for discussion as long as you’re not an obvious troll who solely says stupid shit to get rises out of people. Just because you don’t agree with the general consensus (despite overwhelming evidence and factual examples) doesn’t make it a fanatical position.

Sorry brother, you don’t get to make the rules."
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Agreed. Ive been thinking that a solid grad transfer point guard is a must.

Ish is the man. Have no idea what we have in Berry and of course we know Carey's struggles.
With the new transfer rules, it doesn't have to be a grad transfer. It can be anybody.
Oh yeah I forgot for a second!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago What if somebody we were recruiting went somewhere else and aren't happy with their playing time at their current school? Just for the sake of argument, I'll pick a name out of a hat. A.J Hoggard...playing only 13 minutes per game at Michigan State. With the new transfer rules, you're going to see tons of kids in the transfer portal. The new thing will be re-recruiting, kids looking to either move down a level to play more or up a level to play a better level of competition. I think there will be tons of names to try and re-recruit. Just using Hoggard as an example as someone we were involved with that went elsewhere.
This is the new normal - but you only get that shot once. That may be part of the reason that Cox kept going to Carey this year, so the next guy from a big school knows that he will get his shot to prove himself here. Also, I am still on the Carey train, just not this year. It ain't working out this year for whatever reason but I would not be surprised if he came back a better player. Humbler. More in control. I think a guy playing at Syracuse drops a level and thinks it will be easy in the A10 and it isn't.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

A highly rated JUCO will also work.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice comments by Cox saying he needs to do a better job coaching maybe the Morey H comments made him think

I also agree we need a transfer in here that can help right away maybe a 2 guard who can shoot it from deep
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dave is learning that being a HC is a lot different than an assistant. He can't give everyone a chance to play. His job now is to win. Sure it's hard, but that's what he signed up for.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Nice comments by Cox saying he needs to do a better job coaching maybe the Morey H comments made him think

I also agree we need a transfer in here that can help right away maybe a 2 guard who can shoot it from deep
I definitely think that Morey pushing Cox on the playing time Walker got while having a career game was a wake up call. Neither Cooley or Cox are used to reporters asking the tough questions. Usually softballs and mutual admiration exchanges between reporters and local broadcasters.

It has made little sense to be playing 10 guys (and would have been 11 if Makhi Mitchell was still available). On top of that, Carey, then Martin, then Betrand, then finally Leggett who many of us felt should have been playing far more minutes many weeks ago. Most importantly it looks like he has the line up right now, and he seems to be giving the minutes to the right guys.

Next challenge is to get the 3 point shots being taken by Sheppard and Leggett - not by the low percentage 3FG shooters.

It's not rocket surgery.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Nice comments by Cox saying he needs to do a better job coaching maybe the Morey H comments made him think

I definitely think that Morey pushing Cox on the playing time Walker got while having a career game was a wake up call. Neither Cooley or Cox are used to reporters asking the tough questions. Usually softballs and mutual admiration exchanges between reporters and local broadcasters.

It has made little sense to be playing 10 guys (and would have been 11 if Makhi Mitchell was still available). On top of that, Carey, then Martin, then Betrand, then finally Leggett who many of us felt should have been playing far more minutes many weeks ago. Most importantly it looks like he has the line up right now, and he seems to be giving the minutes to the right guys.

Next challenge is to get the 3 point shots being taken by Sheppard and Leggett - not by the low percentage 3FG shooters.

It's not rocket surgery.

theblueram
Frank Keaney

My only beef about last night is he pulled Walker wayyyy too soon. Walker seems to really come out strong from the get go. Cox needs to ride that until he tapers off. The 4 minute ritual of subbing out Walker needs to end.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox said the right things, but does he have to have someone in the media tell him what's wrong with his coaching?

He should know this himself. Hell, we all know it, and we're not being paid the big bucks to coach.

Anyway, we will see going forward if more positive changes are made.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago My only beef about last night is he pulled Walker wayyyy too soon. Walker seems to really come out strong from the get go. Cox needs to ride that until he tapers off. The 4 minute ritual of subbing out Walker needs to end.
Agreed!!!

Another huge beef for me was the timeout to draw up the final offensive set, which turned into a corner 3 from Martin!!!

But big-time kudos to Fatts and the team for not giving up when things were looking really really bleak.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago My only beef about last night is he pulled Walker wayyyy too soon. Walker seems to really come out strong from the get go. Cox needs to ride that until he tapers off. The 4 minute ritual of subbing out Walker needs to end.
Agreed!!!

Another huge beef for me was the timeout to draw up the final offensive set, which turned into a corner 3 from Martin!!!

But big-time kudos to Fatts and the team for not giving up when things were looking really really bleak.
Yeah there is no way I'm drawing up a play for a bench player. Mind boggling.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed!!!

I think the play broke down and we wound up with a Martin three.

Martin played great overall, but damn every three he took was awful. They were all really deep, contested, and didn't come close.

The bench 3 point shooting was pretty disastrous overall. Malik, Dj and Betrand have been forcing their threes a lot more lately. It's really hurt us.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I typically have the same beef bc he usually comes out right around that 16 min mark...but in this case I think I saw Twan raise his hand and ask to come out. And who knows maybe he does that every game and that is why Cox subs him out.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed!!!

I think the play broke down and we wound up with a Martin three.

Martin played great overall, but damn every three he took was awful. They were all really deep, contested, and didn't come close.

The bench 3 point shooting was pretty disastrous overall. Malik, Dj and Betrand have been forcing their threes a lot more lately. It's really hurt us.
Malik played so well defensively and in other phases that it masked some of his offensive deficiencies. When he took a 25 footer after 1 pass into the offense I almost threw my laptop through my TV. That is never the play. Know your role Malik!! But he was excellent on the glass and in hustle plays and picked up some garbage buckets. That is all we need out of him.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If some player with talent wants to transfer, they would probably check out the Board of a place before they decided to go there. How do our fans look to a recruit? They think, my parents/friends are going to read about me on this Board if I go there. Clearly, the posters on this Board do not help the program succeed.

Rhody 72. I’ll ask the same question that I asked previously. - what A10 coaches is Cox better than ?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago ...
Rhody 72. I’ll ask the same question that I asked previously. - what A10 coaches is Cox better than ?
You need to look at this differently, then I'll answer your question. Most times when an assistant is promoted to head coach they are not better than other coaches in the same league. If they were, they wouldn't be here. This is one reason I didn't like promoting Cox and wanted an established coach. But I was not the decision maker and Cox was promoted. Although Cox lacked sufficient experience at that point in his career, I recognized that he had the personal qualities and initiative to become a very good head coach for URI. At this point, I would take David over the coaches at UMASS, Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, St Joe's, George Mason, GW and VCU if a hiring decision was being made, and David has not reached his potential as a head coach. My prediction is that he is much more likely to be hired away by a better program than being terminated by URI. As with Al Skinner, David taking a better job doesn't need to happen if URI nation would get behind him, but will happen otherwise. This month, it is fair to at least ask the obvious question.

A10 Schools/Coaches
Davidson Wildcats-Bob McKillop
Dayton Flyers-Anthony Grant
Duquesne Dukes-Keith Dambrot
Fordham Rams-Michael DePaoli (interim)
George Mason Patriots-Dave Paulsen
George Washington Colonials-Jamion Christian
La Salle Explorers-Ashley Howard
Rhode Island Rams-David Cox
Richmond Spiders-Chris Mooney
St. Bonaventure Bonnies-Mark Schmidt
Saint Joseph’s Hawks-Billy Lange
Saint Louis Billikens-Travis Ford
UMass Minutemen-Matt McCall
VCU Rams-Mike Rhoades
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure where to post this but I have a question;

I believe the NCAA put a cut off date at May 1st, for winter athletes to transfer in order to take advantage of the no-sit rule, as long as they qualify. This gives the schools a chance to be able to recruit and fill their roster.
Does this date also apply to seniors who plan on returning and using that extra year of eligibility without impacting the scholarship limit of 13?
I have heard so but unable to verify it.

Also currently with 5 seniors to be in 21-22 it's difficult to recruit for that year (2022), not knowing who will return because those seniors will count against the limit.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am pretty sure that the 13 scholarship limit does not apply next year. In other words Fatts and Shepp could both come back and we could have 15 guys on scholarship.
Not sure about the May 1 date but that would make sense.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
You need to look at this differently, then I'll answer your question. Most times when an assistant is promoted to head coach they are not better than other coaches in the same league. If they were, they wouldn't be here. This is one reason I didn't like promoting Cox and wanted an established coach. But I was not the decision maker and Cox was promoted. Although Cox lacked sufficient experience at that point in his career, I recognized that he had the personal qualities and initiative to become a very good head coach for URI. At this point, I would take David over the coaches at UMASS, Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, St Joe's, George Mason, GW and VCU if a hiring decision was being made, and David has not reached his potential as a head coach. My prediction is that he is much more likely to be hired away by a better program than being terminated by URI. As with Al Skinner, David taking a better job doesn't need to happen if URI nation would get behind him, but will happen otherwise. This month, it is fair to at least ask the obvious question.

A10 Schools/Coaches
VCU Rams-Mike Rhoades

You would take Cox over Rhodes who has been to an tournament and is on his way to a second?

Also, you STILL have not given concrete examples of evidence of Cox becoming a great head coach here.

Just continue to blabber about nothing, losing more credibility by the post.

Are you ever going to actual explain your thought process? What has happened ON THE COURT that leads you to believe he’ll be a great head coach here?

“Personal qualities and initiative” doesn’t cut it. You wouldn’t come off as such a blind fan boy if you actually explained your reasoning.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago I am pretty sure that the 13 scholarship limit does not apply next year. In other words Fatts and Shepp could both come back and we could have 15 guys on scholarship.
Not sure about the May 1 date but that would make sense.
Yes, I know about the scholarship limit not being affected with the returning seniors next season, but was questioning the May 1st cut off date.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

A10 Schools/Coaches
VCU Rams-Mike Rhoades
72- I think your thoughts make perfect sense. At the time it was not the best hire we could make, but at this point he is a better option than half of the league without reaching his full potential as a head coach (or at least we cannot say for sure in year 3). Of course he is not as good as McKillop or Schmidt who have been head coaches in the league a lot longer. Mooney has taken FOREVER to get Richmond to where they are now. Travis Ford petered out at OSU before taking several years to get St. Louis back in contention, same with Anthony Grant (who in his first few years many Dayton fans were not too happy with).

Growing pains are expected with a new head coach, but I like Cox and think he will ultimately be really successful if he is willing to correct things that are not working. I actually do not hate the staff we have either, I know many here think the assistant coaching staff needs upgrading but really they may just need some time as well. I like TJ and Austin long term and both have potential to become good coaches someday.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

A10 Schools/Coaches
VCU Rams-Mike Rhoades

You would take Cox over Rhodes who has been to an tournament and is on his way to a second?

Also, you STILL have not given concrete examples of evidence of Cox becoming a great head coach here.

Just continue to blabber about nothing, losing more credibility by the post.

Are you ever going to actual explain your thought process? What has happened ON THE COURT that leads you to believe he’ll be a great head coach here?

“Personal qualities and initiative” doesn’t cut it. You wouldn’t come off as such a blind fan boy if you actually explained your reasoning.
I mean - I wasn't going to respond to his post because then it just adds legitimacy to his points. But since you did, I'll crack my knuckles.

I think Matt McCall might be one of the better coaches in the A-10 to be honest, taking on a whale of a rebuild and he coached circles around Cox without his 2 best players last time out. He was COY in his previous conference as an HC.

Keith Dambrot is taking on another beast of a rebuild at a historically underfunded school. He also won 4 conference championships and 3 conference COY's in the MAC. He also coached some guy named LeBron James in high school.

The Mike Rhoades point is laughable, I'm not sure even debatable.

So when you take out your 3 incorrect answers, at least there's an open admission that Cox is not a top 1/2 coach in the conference, potentially not a top 2/3. (Even though he is compensated within the top 1/3).

Again, no one is saying Cox cannot turn it around. The fixes that have been pointed out on this board seem like easy enough fixes.

The Dayton game was the FIRST TIME he made an adjustment to his rotation. It took 22 games and an open lambasting by a sports reporter to finally take him to task on issues that have been prevalent and discussed on this board ad nauseum for months. Progress is better than nothing, but as it stands this has been one game of positive change.

It's still alarming to be trending toward a rebuild when the coach walked into one of the better open job situations in the country less than 3 seasons ago.

The issue is your blind adherence to your own version of reality, with zero quantitative or qualitative facts or examples. You continue to recite these corporate platitudes like "personal qualities" and "initiative" like it's going to impress anyone, when all we've been asking for is you to say something concrete that some of us might be missing. If you would use phrases like "offensive scheme and philosophy" or "game management" or "timeout usage" or "substitution patterns" or "defensive philosophy" or "rotation" or any number of useful ways to describe the game of basketball - that might provide some value here.

Every single person who has brought forward a critique of our current style of play, or the results they've provided, are all 100% based in the on-court production of a program that is 3 short years removed from back-to-back tournament wins and conference titles.

All you continue to provide are meaningless, vapid corporate meeting terms that don't translate to basketball. Then when asked to provide some different perspective on what we are seeing on the court, you continue to ignore and bring nothing of substance.

No one here hates Dave Cox. No one is rooting against Dave Cox. But it's not too much to ask on a message board to hear a different perspective on the basketball that we are watching and rooting for.

Yet all we get in your responses are the same meaningless corporate doublespeak terms we have to listen to at our 9-5's.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Keith Dambrot is taking on another beast of a rebuild at a historically underfunded school. He also won 4 conference championships and 3 conference COY's in the MAC. He also coached some guy named LeBron James in high school.
I agree with everything in your post except with the Lebron link with Dambrot. While it's a cool anecdote, not sure it means much when assessing coaching competency. It'd be like saying Tyronn Lue is a great coach because he rode Lebron to a championship in 2015-16.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Keith Dambrot is taking on another beast of a rebuild at a historically underfunded school. He also won 4 conference championships and 3 conference COY's in the MAC. He also coached some guy named LeBron James in high school.
I agree with everything in your post except with the Lebron link with Dambrot. While it's a cool anecdote, not sure it means much when assessing coaching competency. It'd be like saying Tyronn Lue is a great coach because he rode Lebron to a championship in 2015-16.
hah agreed. I don't think Dambrot made Lebron into anything. I just think having that kind of a connection to one of the top 5 players of all time might provide a little juice to recruiting.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
hah agreed. I don't think Dambrot made Lebron into anything. I just think having that kind of a connection to one of the top 5 players of all time might provide a little juice to recruiting.
Can't hurt. "Hey guys, look who stopped by practice today" - wonder if that's ever happened?
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 has no clue when it comes to the coaching evolution of David Cox. Just blind faith.

I don't share his blind faith. I need concrete results, not vapid talk. We can pontificate all we want, but it's all out of our control.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Not here trying to open up the “well he shouldn’t have lost his guys” can of worms. But the below quote from Jon Rothstein I think does speak volumes to an exceptionally t tough year for coaches dealing with new faces:

“40 of the 50 starters on the Top 10 teams ranked in this week's AP Top 25 were a part of their current programs last season.”

People can sit here and argue it’s Cox’s fault still till they pass out, but it can’t be denied the impact no offseason had on teams. So many traditional blue blood programs struggling
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It sure does. Didn't Lebron hook Duquesne up with new shoes or something a couple years ago?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

It sure does. Didn't Lebron hook Duquesne up with new shoes or something a couple years ago?
Looks that way. Seems like they're still close.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03 ... ba-hiatus/

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The best URI teams in history, have largely been junior-senior dominated teams, that played and developed together as a group over 3 or 4 years.

That's what it takes at an A10 level....guys that have been those diamonds in the rough types, that weren't highly rated or recruited out of high school or prep leagues.

Now it's going to have to happen more with short timers, which again at our level is very difficult.

If we had an established winner as coach, it would be easier....but we don't.

It certainly makes Cox's job harder in his position, trying to learn on the job and meshing short timers and 4 year recruits together.

It must be nice to be able to recruit a team of blue blooded freshmen like some P5's can.

Never going to happen here though. But the pressure to win and win now, never ends.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......so where is the “bar”?.... Based on what you say here Bone, same as it has been A-10 Championships and Dances.....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looks that way. Seems like they're still close.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03 ... ba-hiatus/
Dambrot coached Lebron for 2 years at St Vincent's - St Mary's High School in Akron. Lebron was a phenomenal player in High School. Lebron talks about Dambrot in his book. They remain close.
Dambrot is a very interesting guy, read about how he was blackballed from coaching in college after being at Central Michigan - Lebron refers to this in his book as well.

It's great to have a Head Coach of Dambrot's caliber in the A10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Dambrot
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago 72 has no clue when it comes to the coaching evolution of David Cox. Just blind faith.

I don't share his blind faith. I need concrete results, not vapid talk. We can pontificate all we want, but it's all out of our control.
I have a pretty good track record picking winners and avoiding losers. My faith in Cox is more than the flip of a coin. But, even I am not right 100% of the time.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago 72 has no clue when it comes to the coaching evolution of David Cox. Just blind faith.

I have a pretty good track record picking winners and avoiding losers. My faith in Cox is more than the flip of a coin. But, even I am not right 100% of the time.
Are you ever going to tell us the evidence that leads you to believe he'll be a great coach? Tell us ANYTHING, instead of just spewing bullshit all the time.

"Even I am not right 100% of the time" has to be one of the cockiest, pompous statements a person can say. Oh, you have that much humility that you can admit you're not correct in every single belief you've had your entire life? Wow, how humble.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just want to know when Cox lands his first 4* recruit. Been awhile since we had a freshman 4*.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I just want to know when Cox lands his first 4* recruit. Been awhile since we had a freshman 4*.
Two years ago in Harris. Tate was also a 4* on ESPN.

Also, you seem to be the only person here who still rants and raves about 4* players. Almost everyone in the college basketball world knows that past the top 25 players, it's all a crapshoot. I think it's time to stop getting all worked up over players' HS rankings.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I just want to know when Cox lands his first 4* recruit. Been awhile since we had a freshman 4*.

Also, you seem to be the only person here who still rants and raves about 4* players. Almost everyone in the college basketball world knows that past the top 25 players, it's all a crapshoot. I think it's time to stop getting all worked up over players' HS rankings.
Both of those players committed to Hurley. By the way, media loves 4 and 5* recruits.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Both of those players committed to Hurley. By the way, media loves 4 and 5* recruits.
There's no need to play dumb here to try and prove your point. Yes they committed to Hurley, Hurley left, then both committed to Cox, with Tate being the first to tweet he was committing to Cox.

You said it's been a while since we had a freshman 4*, and you are wrong. We we had two 4* freshman 2 years ago.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jalen Carey was also a 4*
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

Jalen Carey was also a 4*
Not a freshman though, Blue Ram said it's been a while since we've had a freshman 4*.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There's no need to play dumb here to try and prove your point. Yes they committed to Hurley, Hurley left, then both committed to Cox, with Tate being the first to tweet he was committing to Cox.

You said it's been a while since we had a freshman 4*, and you are wrong, seeing how we had two 4* freshman 2 years ago.
I guess I should have said Cox has not had a single Top 100 recruit since he became coach. Better?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My bad, thought he was asking when Cox would land a four star. The answer to that, technically, is eight months ago.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You said it's been a while since we had a freshman 4*, and you are wrong. We we had two 4* freshman 2 years ago.
Well if they didn't recommit, there would have been mutiny on this board with the Cox hire, that's for sure.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It hasn't been mentioned in a long while, but Brendan Adams (Jalen's brother) committed to URI 3 years ago, and then de-committed and followed DH to UCONN. Somewhat surprising, since he is a Baltimore kid.
NCAAs or Bust!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It hasn't been mentioned in a long while, but Brendan Adams (Jalen's brother) committed to URI 3 years ago, and then de-committed and followed DH to UCONN. Somewhat surprising, since he is a Baltimore kid.
It’s mentioned like every week