David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago ...
There should be a base level of knowledge needed to post on this board, and you don't possess that Rhody72
You've said nothing I didn't know.

Did you ever consider that tearing down the URI coach is seriously hurting recruiting and the program? Some coaches (JD, Baron after a few years) deserve this treatment but not Cox at this point. If you want to see ONE reason URI basketball can't get traction, look in the mirror. You are the enemy of URI basketball.
Rhody 72,
What did you think of David Cox taking Jeff Dowtin off the Point Guard position and giving it to Russell while moving Dowtin to Shooting Guard his Junior and Senior years?
Would appreciate your thoughts on this move that David Cox made
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
OrangeRam wrote: 3 years ago I never understood the last UMass game. Given our depth and that they were so short handed, I think I would have pressed and ran as much as possible. Forget the half court game, let's tire hell out of them.

Cox has a solid core going into next year. Certainly has areas to work on as a team, players on their skills and rolls, we are all familiar. I think a former highly experienced former x's and o's coach might go a long way. If he can't get next years team to be near the top of the A 10, then when?
Or how about when their 2nd string PG went out with an injury (Garcia) and we were down 6 points and went into a passive 3/4 court press that does not create turnovers and all it does is slow the game down. That’s the kind of zone you throw on VCU when you are up to shorten the game not on a team with their 3rd string PG when u are down. Just seems like a fundamental strategic faux pas.
Or how about when Cox got defensive in the post game presser after admitting he based his gameplan around a player not playing.

He then subsequently admitted he didn’t make ANY adjustments to that player being out THE ENTIRE GAME.

Who was that player? UMass’ best player, the best player in the conference potentially, who did not play in the previous game, and who was announced as not playing the day before...

That to me is the fireable offense. That’s what’s really offensive.

Getting beat, losing - thats part of the game.

But to not even be prepared to gameplan or make adjustments, and then to admit that?? What are we even doing here?
The only thing I can think of that was comparable to Cox planning for a guy that was out and not changing the plan in game was Bobby Valentine putting in the wrong lineup because he thought the other team's starting pitcher was a lefty instead of a righty.

"According to ESPN Boston, Valentine's initial lineup card included Darnell McDonald and Kelly Shoppach—right-handers who would typically play against left-handed pitching. One problem: The Twins were starting Liam Hendriks, a 23-year-old righty and a native of Australia who was a September call-up last season. Bobby V was eventually alerted to what he had done and made the fix hours before the start of the game, replacing McDonald with Ryan Sweeney and Shoppach with Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Here's Bobby V explaining what happened:

'I looked on this thing,' Valentine said, gesturing to his cellphone, 'and there was no history on [Hendriks]. It had his name, and 'against left-handed hitting.' My fault. That's why you make these lineups out early enough.'

Valentine said Saltalamacchia was the one who discovered the error."

When your coaching reminds people of the Bobby Valentine year in Boston, you're doing something colossally wrong. And unfortunately most of this season has had me thinking of the Taylor Twellman what are we doing here rant
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Or how about when their 2nd string PG went out with an injury (Garcia) and we were down 6 points and went into a passive 3/4 court press that does not create turnovers and all it does is slow the game down. That’s the kind of zone you throw on VCU when you are up to shorten the game not on a team with their 3rd string PG when u are down. Just seems like a fundamental strategic faux pas.
Or how about when Cox got defensive in the post game presser after admitting he based his gameplan around a player not playing.

He then subsequently admitted he didn’t make ANY adjustments to that player being out THE ENTIRE GAME.

Who was that player? UMass’ best player, the best player in the conference potentially, who did not play in the previous game, and who was announced as not playing the day before...

That to me is the fireable offense. That’s what’s really offensive.

Getting beat, losing - thats part of the game.

But to not even be prepared to gameplan or make adjustments, and then to admit that?? What are we even doing here?
The only thing I can think of that was comparable to Cox planning for a guy that was out and not changing the plan in game was Bobby Valentine putting in the wrong lineup because he thought the other team's starting pitcher was a lefty instead of a righty.

"According to ESPN Boston, Valentine's initial lineup card included Darnell McDonald and Kelly Shoppach—right-handers who would typically play against left-handed pitching. One problem: The Twins were starting Liam Hendriks, a 23-year-old righty and a native of Australia who was a September call-up last season. Bobby V was eventually alerted to what he had done and made the fix hours before the start of the game, replacing McDonald with Ryan Sweeney and Shoppach with Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Here's Bobby V explaining what happened:

'I looked on this thing,' Valentine said, gesturing to his cellphone, 'and there was no history on [Hendriks]. It had his name, and 'against left-handed hitting.' My fault. That's why you make these lineups out early enough.'

Valentine said Saltalamacchia was the one who discovered the error."

When your coaching reminds people of the Bobby Valentine year in Boston, you're doing something colossally wrong. And unfortunately most of this season has had me thinking of the Taylor Twellman what are we doing here rant
At least Bobby V made the correction and the sox ended up winning that game.

But yes, if you're looking for a true barometer for how bad things are; look at the comparisons.

David Cox's contemporaries on this message board when looking for metaphors/examples to draw from:

Jim Baron
Jerry D
Bobby Valentine

Although Rhody72 has made several posts comparing DC to John Calipari...but the only similarity he has been able to articulate is that they're both having difficult seasons. It's like when I try to compare myself to Tom Brady, but I can only come up with "we are both human beings."

Twellman's rant is a all-timer though. We'll see if the USMNT follows through.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

From my Iona booster friend comes the latest Pitino letter to key supporters of the Iona program. I am posting this letter to show how other coaches keep their fan base informed.

Dear Tim,

Well, the positive is that we are back to playing. On Friday, our pace and a few other things were good. Turnovers in practice, as well as games, have been our Achilles' heel. I have been disappointed in our older players defensively. With the exception of Berrick (0), none of the players are up to my defensive standards (it's not that I expected much different in the first season). We are a very average basketball team, and so many areas need improvement. When developed, Nelly and Osborn will be factors down the road. I like what I see in Ryan Myers, so those four give me encouragement for the future.

Wednesday will be another chance to improve. I understand COVID and certainly comprehend the difficulties of returning from such a long layoff. But (there's always a but, isn't there?) to say I'm disappointed in our play would be a gross understatement. I expect more from our seniors at the defensive end. I expect more with passing and more with rebounding. I guess you could say I expect more out of them in general.

Stay safe, and I'm looking forward to Wednesday.

Go Gaels

Rick
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When it came to keeping their fan bases informed, Baron gave us nothing, Dan was for the most part pretty open, and Cox has given us nothing [Other that he's not aware of what's going on at times, especially lately].
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bobby V Mention oh god. Awful.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago From my Iona booster friend comes the latest Pitino letter to key supporters of the Iona program. I am posting this letter to show how other coaches keep their fan base informed.

Dear Tim,

Well, the positive is that we are back to playing. On Friday, our pace and a few other things were good. Turnovers in practice, as well as games, have been our Achilles' heel. I have been disappointed in our older players defensively. With the exception of Berrick (0), none of the players are up to my defensive standards (it's not that I expected much different in the first season). We are a very average basketball team, and so many areas need improvement. When developed, Nelly and Osborn will be factors down the road. I like what I see in Ryan Myers, so those four give me encouragement for the future.

Wednesday will be another chance to improve. I understand COVID and certainly comprehend the difficulties of returning from such a long layoff. But (there's always a but, isn't there?) to say I'm disappointed in our play would be a gross understatement. I expect more from our seniors at the defensive end. I expect more with passing and more with rebounding. I guess you could say I expect more out of them in general.

Go Gaels

Rick
Nice letter, I would have liked to see Pitino coach our current group of players to see what our record would be I think we would have at least 3 more wins
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago From my Iona booster friend comes the latest Pitino letter to key supporters of the Iona program. I am posting this letter to show how other coaches keep their fan base informed.

Dear Tim,

Go Gaels

Rick
Nice letter, I would have liked to see Pitino coach our current group of players to see what our record would be I think we would have at least 3 more wins
We could of also been on pause for 49 days.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Based on our entire team, we might have a couple more wins with Pitino...but I think he would find out that some of our players just aren't that good, same as his current team.

However, I would expect dramatic improvement soon. He would fill the talent gaps here, and coach them up for sure.

As for other stuff, well that's another story lol.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Did you guys see the genius of David Cox on display tonight?

Down 18

The hopelessness, deafening in the empty Ryan Center

But David Cox, his gimpy star and his rag tag group of transfers persevered!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to see a lot more of that.

Good exciting win. Never hurts.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Based on our entire team, we might have a couple more wins with Pitino...but I think he would find out that some of our players just aren't that good, same as his current team.

However, I would expect dramatic improvement soon. He would fill the talent gaps here, and coach them up for sure.

As for other stuff, well that's another story lol.
You would have seen improvement from the beginning of the year. The players might not actually get that much better individually, but the coach would know what he had to work with and what he had to do to increase the odds of putting them in winning positions.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Finally we got to see the urgency when we were down 18 and we started to fight you could tell once we cut it to 10 that we weren’t going anywhere
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm sure I'll flip on this statement later, BUT

Cox with this Dayton win just secured his job until next season.

I know that I know nothing of the inner discussions at URI administration but if we ended the season losing out and first round exit from A10, I think they would have had to move on from DC. Not that a win over an OK Dayton team is something to hang our hats on, but coming back and winning in Double OT was great.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt the results of one game will change anything.

It's the body of work that will tell in the long run. The win -loss record and tournament play is most important.

Cox will still be here next year, unless some big donor or two makes an offer that Thorr can't refuse.

After that, no guarantees.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

There’s almost no chance they would move on after this year even though I still think they should, unless everyone transfers again or something else crazy happens.

He’ll get another year to put up, adjust his style and make the tourney or he’ll likely be gone. I have zero confidence in him doing that, but I hope I’m proven wrong.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago There’s almost no chance they would move on after this year even though I still think they should, unless everyone transfers again or something else crazy happens.

He’ll get another year to put up, adjust his style and make the tourney or he’ll likely be gone. I have zero confidence in him doing that, but I hope I’m proven wrong.
I think that sums it up perfectly.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I'm sure I'll flip on this statement later, BUT

Cox with this Dayton win just secured his job until next season.

I know that I know nothing of the inner discussions at URI administration but if we ended the season losing out and first round exit from A10, I think they would have had to move on from DC. Not that a win over an OK Dayton team is something to hang our hats on, but coming back and winning in Double OT was great.
Cox was coming back anyway, he didn't need this win to secure it. Our administration was not moving on after just 3 years, and this season being impacted by Covid , along with last year's post season.

Although beating a good Dayton team in double OT after being down by 18, was a small ray of sunshine.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It only took 22 games to tighten the rotation! I think he went with a 6 man rotation for most of 2nd half and both OTs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago It only took 22 games to tighten the rotation! I think he went with a 6 man rotation for most of 2nd half and both OTs.
It proves he must read this board lol.

But yes 22 games?

This proves my point though....we have depth, but it's not of enough quality.

I doubt those that sucked this season will improve much next season.

We need more help. Maybe even Cox knows that by now, and will do something about it.

What we have coming back won't cut it next season. Good frontcourt but backcourt needs a LOT of help.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Cox will be back next year in a prove it situation. For all our sakes we should hope for success. No fun in rooting for further pain for the program.

One thing we do have going for us is the A10 next year will be pretty weak. VCU and SBU will be head and shoulders ahead of everyone else. UMass could end up being solid if they put it together. Then it’s wide open. A lot less seniority than this year
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago It only took 22 games to tighten the rotation! I think he went with a 6 man rotation for most of 2nd half and both OTs.

But yes 22 games?

We need more help. Maybe even Cox knows that by now, and will do something about it.

What we have coming back won't cut it next season. Good frontcourt but backcourt needs a LOT of help.
We have situational depth, not the depth that allows you to play 9-10 guys for extended minutes. Case in point last night Malik. In that matchup his defensive presence was a big asset and he got good minutes. Another game where we get zoned some minutes for DJ might be in order. Or when Makhel gets in foul trouble you need to use JH for a few minutes here and there. His problem was he applied all 9-10 guys fairly equally and clearly some of them weren’t ready for extended PT. It’s not all that different for any other A10 team...rarely will they have 9-10 starter quality guys. It’s more about how he deploys the talent we have than these guys aren’t talented. They have limitations play to their strengths.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Cox will be back next year in a prove it situation. For all our sakes we should hope for success. No fun in rooting for further pain for the program.

One thing we do have going for us is the A10 next year will be pretty weak. VCU and SBU will be head and shoulders ahead of everyone else. UMass could end up being solid if they put it together. Then it’s wide open. A lot less seniority than this year
Taking this a step further - we beat SBU and VCU this year. And then lost to VCU (without Fatts) by 1. I’m not here to say we should win the A10 next year but the team has demonstrated they can compete with the “best” of next years conference
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

The biggest question mark I have for this off season already is: "What does DC do abouy Jalen Carey?"

Jalen clearly has talent. I've seen it. Go watch the game he played while at 'Cuse against Hurley's UConn. Can he control his ball handling and play within himself? Was he pressing because he felt he needed to outshine others?

I have very little doubt that Ish will be another great Ram PG, but he needs someone like Carey to help burden the load. That is why I believe Cox's success next year is tied to Jalen.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I like the first half of the quote, and credit where it's due.

But in terms of "bottling it" or "building on it" or a "turning point" or whatever cliche you want to use, I've heard that so many times this year and it hasn't happened yet. Not a dig at Cox, either, it's his job to say that. But plenty of fans have been saying it as well. Everything up until this point has been a one-off good game. Let's wait and see on that.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago

But yes 22 games?

We have situational depth, not the depth that allows you to play 9-10 guys for extended minutes. Case in point last night Malik. In that matchup his defensive presence was a big asset and he got good minutes. Another game where we get zoned some minutes for DJ might be in order. Or when Makhel gets in foul trouble you need to use JH for a few minutes here and there. His problem was he applied all 9-10 guys fairly equally and clearly some of them weren’t ready for extended PT. It’s not all that different for any other A10 team...rarely will they have 9-10 starter quality guys. It’s more about how he deploys the talent we have than these guys aren’t talented. They have limitations play to their strengths.
This is 100% correct analysis - we have good depth on this team but that does not mean we have 10 guys who play 20 mins a game, it means we have players who can do certain things really well and can be deployed in the correct situation. 22 games is a long time to find the “core” but this was a weird year with a lot of new faces, guys were given a chance to earn a spot in the core rotation. My only problem is it took about 4 games too many to get here. Needed to have that rotation set by the end of January because we have lost any chance to make up ground in the regular season. Now need to win A10 tourney when just a few weeks ago it was conceivable that a trip the finals would put us in.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago The biggest question mark I have for this off season already is: "What does DC do abouy Jalen Carey?"

Jalen clearly has talent. I've seen it. Go watch the game he played while at 'Cuse against Hurley's UConn. Can he control his ball handling and play within himself? Was he pressing because he felt he needed to outshine others?

I have very little doubt that Ish will be another great Ram PG, but he needs someone like Carey to help burden the load. That is why I believe Cox's success next year is tied to Jalen.
The problem will be where does his skill set even fit? He’s an elite shot creator, horrible distance shooter (to the point he doesn’t even attempt 3s), and lackluster ball handler. If you’re going to be useless at shooting the 3 in the modern game you need to be an elite ball handler/facilitator to be successful.

Provided you assume the starting 5 for next year is:

Ish - AB - Malik - Walker - Mitchell

That’s a lineup that lacks consistent shooting as is. Anytime you take out one of those guards for Carey it gets significantly worse. My only thoughts are you build in some type of rotation where he plays in a smaller lineup at the 3/4 or complement him with someone like DJ as a pure shooter to keep defenses honest.

Reality is if he doesn’t work on his ball security this is all moot. Hard to imagine Tres Berry can be any worse than he’s been year to date
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That starting lineup makes me want to puke.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago That starting lineup makes me want to puke.
Unless AB and Martin both significantly improve offensively, both will not be starters. I would rather start both Mitchells with Antoine at the 3.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Unless AB and Martin both significantly improve offensively, both will not be starters. I would rather start both Mitchells with Antoine at the 3.
AB is better than he’s playing. I’m not here to say he’ll come back and average 15 a game next year but if he did it wouldn’t be some crazy outlier situation. He scored 13 vs VCU and then 11 against UMASS. Kid can play at this level

I also hope you’re not serious about starting Walker and both Mitchells. Go ahead and forfeit the game before it even starts if that’s your plan
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think AB leads the team in airballs.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

I like the first half of the quote, and credit where it's due.

But in terms of "bottling it" or "building on it" or a "turning point" or whatever cliche you want to use, I've heard that so many times this year and it hasn't happened yet. Not a dig at Cox, either, it's his job to say that. But plenty of fans have been saying it as well. Everything up until this point has been a one-off good game. Let's wait and see on that.
Credit to Morey. Seems his questioning of DC after the UMass game has made coach more self-aware of some short-comings.

Agreed, would like to see this become a trend and not an anomaly.

This is the first game where DC has said the right things AND pushed the right buttons. Let's just hope it's the start of something. I think all of us want DC to be the guy. He's incredibly likable, personable, and a down right great guy. Very easy to root for.

It's also fair for everyone who's pointed out some obviously flaws and short-comings. This is the first game where you could say there was a departure from the standard long rotation. There were still some questionable substitutions, but at the end it got a little tighter. Progress not perfection. Please let this be the start of something.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
AB is better than he’s playing. I’m not here to say he’ll come back and average 15 a game next year but if he did it wouldn’t be some crazy outlier situation. He scored 13 vs VCU and then 11 against UMASS. Kid can play at this level

I also hope you’re not serious about starting Walker and both Mitchells. Go ahead and forfeit the game before it even starts if that’s your plan
I was kidding - but in reality it is not as crazy as it sounds to play your best players together. Makhel and Makhi will make a good combo at the 4/5 and there is no reason Antoine can’t play the 3 - he is athletic enough. Bigs will be the strength of next years team. Toss in JH and DJ off the bench. Not as bad of an idea as you think at first.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Makhel -5
Makhi -5
Walker-3
Carey-2
Ish-1

Martin/BE/DJ/Harris- Bench

:?:
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I was kidding - but in reality it is not as crazy as it sounds to play your best players together. Makhel and Makhi will make a good combo at the 4/5 and there is no reason Antoine can’t play the 3 - he is athletic enough. Bigs will be the strength of next years team. Toss in JH and DJ off the bench. Not as bad of an idea as you think at first.
Don’t get me wrong I agree our front court depth is great and a serious strength. I think Walker at the 3 becomes a ball handling issue. Also there’s just essentially no spacing at that point. Walker can force up 3s but he’s a below average shooter there too.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel -5
Makhi -5
Walker-3
Carey-2
Ish-1

Put 5 guys down low and this lineup scores 10 points a game. You have legit 1 player in that lineup who can shoot a basketball from 3 (even remotely well)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago The biggest question mark I have for this off season already is: "What does DC do abouy Jalen Carey?"

The problem will be where does his skill set even fit? He’s an elite shot creator, horrible distance shooter (to the point he doesn’t even attempt 3s), and lackluster ball handler. If you’re going to be useless at shooting the 3 in the modern game you need to be an elite ball handler/facilitator to be successful.

Provided you assume the starting 5 for next year is:

Ish - AB - Malik - Walker - Mitchell

That’s a lineup that lacks consistent shooting as is. Anytime you take out one of those guards for Carey it gets significantly worse. My only thoughts are you build in some type of rotation where he plays in a smaller lineup at the 3/4 or complement him with someone like DJ as a pure shooter to keep defenses honest.

Reality is if he doesn’t work on his ball security this is all moot. Hard to imagine Tres Berry can be any worse than he’s been year to date
I've said it before. Get him the ball within 10 feet of the basket and let him use his athletic ability to jump over guards for easy shots. Post him up. Flash him into the lane. He can do work in there. Don't let him try to score starting from the perimeter. Bad decisions and poor ball handling show up when he's allowed to do that.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Makhi -5
Walker-3
Carey-2
Ish-1

Put 5 guys down low and this lineup scores 10 points a game. You have legit 1 player in that lineup who can shoot a basketball from 3 (even remotely well)
Hence the question mark. Freshman could make an impact too.
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Cox’s biggest off season to do is somehow convince Sheppard to come back. I don’t know when there’s a deadline on such thing, but if he’s 100% gone a lot of question marks come up with guard depth
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Makhi -5
Walker-3
Carey-2
Ish-1

As a Celtics fan I'm here to tell you that double-big lineups can be a disaster.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Makhi -5
Walker-3
Carey-2
Ish-1

You can't play basketball with 3 guys unable to put the ball on the floor.
Next year's lineup presents some issue bc Makhel, Makhi and Twan will deserve a lot of minutes but as of right now their skill sets aren't varied enough to mix and match them. One group are, ahem, twins. They are basically the same player give or take. The other is a classic A10 PF. Twan at the 3 is preposterous unless he develops a serious face up game that we have never seen him capable of. He's a 4. The other two are 5s. Maybe 1 of the twins can develop enough game away from the basket to consider them a 4. But be clear, none of them are 3s. And never will they be.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We also have Ayo-Faleye and Abdou Samb next year. Where do they fit?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If they can't dribble the ball or shoot it from the perimeter where they will fit is likely on the bench for large stretches. Don't see many available minutes at the 5 or 4 next season.
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

I agree, those Parish McHale years sucked.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Right now my best guess for next year's starting 5 out of the gate:
Makhel - 5
Walker - 4
Martin- 3
AB- 2
Ish - 1

Carey and Tres sub at the 1/2
DJ - off the bench at the 3
Makhi and JH sub at the 4/5

We have to see how Makhi responds from surgery and I don't think Cox will rush him into starter minutes.
We also haven't seen a large sample size on what he brings to the table. I can see him getting substantial minutes once he gets adjusted and can also see both twins on the court together at times.

I think DJ will also rotate in at the 3 and 4 and give our team an offensive jolt when needed, I also like his hustle at times.

Ileri and Samb will both probably play a very limited role, unless of course they exceed all expectations.
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Walker seems to be developing into one of our classic talented undersized power fowards. Ish, with another year....can't wait. And, as mentioned before, the core is here for next year. With some adjustments and solid coaching, this could be a very dangerous team. Glad to hear the Coach take responsibility, it's your ship Coach.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Why were our TOs a season low last night...was it because we had 3 competent ball handlers in the game for 90% of the time (Shep, Fatts, Ish). Yep.

You can't play cbb without multiple guys that can put the ball on the floor and take a defender in ISO. At least 3 of them. We need some guard help for next year or we are still an incomplete team. Even 1 transfer in the Sheppard/Munford mold would take us to another level.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Obviously I am not a big fan of Cox' ability with Xs and Os and his substitution patterns but you have to give him credit as it would have been easy for the team to give it up when down 18 points with 10 minutes left in the game but they continued to play hard. Credit is due the coach for something like that.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Why were our TOs a season low last night...was it because we had 3 competent ball handlers in the game for 90% of the time (Shep, Fatts, Ish). Yep.

You can't play cbb without multiple guys that can put the ball on the floor and take a defender in ISO. At least 3 of them. We need some guard help for next year or we are still an incomplete team. Even 1 transfer in the Sheppard/Munford mold would take us to another level.
Agreed. Ive been thinking that a solid grad transfer point guard is a must.

Ish is the man. Have no idea what we have in Berry and of course we know Carey's struggles.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

OrangeRam wrote: 3 years ago I agree, those Parish McHale years sucked.
Game has changed a whole lot since then.