The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago If I were Grasso, I would be careful and avoid Fordham. Would advise him to go to a school where he would have a better chance of winning in order to then advance his career. Fordham is basically a death sentence for coaches.
Yep. And they’re said to be offering a competitive A10 salary. Coaches talk and no one is telling their friend to take the Fordham job. Strangely enough, it’s a job that probably becomes better if they would drop down a level. Shaheen’s name is going to be on all the projected short lists, but I selfishly want better for him.

I like what La Salle did- hired a Philly guy with high level assistant experience for a Philly program... but it still might not work out for Howard and La Salle.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago If I were Grasso, I would be careful and avoid Fordham. Would advise him to go to a school where he would have a better chance of winning in order to then advance his career. Fordham is basically a death sentence for coaches.
Yep. And they’re said to be offering a competitive A10 salary. Coaches talk and no one is telling their friend to take the Fordham job. Strangely enough, it’s a job that probably becomes better if they would drop down a level.

I like what La Salle did- hired a Philly guy with high level assistant experience for a Philly program... but it still might not work out for Howard and La Salle.
I think Fordham is an attractive spot if they're in the Patriot League. Rose Hill is no longer insufficient, Fordham seems willing to spend outside of improving facilities, admissions isn't an issue anymore. They'd have a lot going for them at that level and would become a nice stepping stone position for up and coming coaches instead of a career killer
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I’m not a fan of his recruiting philosophy or play style. I think he is a good coach at the level he currently is, but we will need to make a bigger splash for someone more seasoned if Cox does not work out.
That's fair. But we hired DC with zero HC experience. Grasso got a lot of exposure to the NCAAT at Iona, and his first HC gig looks to be going well.

Unless you're lobbying for Slick Rick I'm not sure the "splash" hire is out there for what URI pays it's coaches/invests in the program.
Hell no to Pitino but maybe a higher level assistant coach, that has been a HC before.
Maybe Dino Gaudio wants to make us WF 2.0!!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's fair. But we hired DC with zero HC experience. Grasso got a lot of exposure to the NCAAT at Iona, and his first HC gig looks to be going well.

Unless you're lobbying for Slick Rick I'm not sure the "splash" hire is out there for what URI pays it's coaches/invests in the program.
Hell no to Pitino but maybe a higher level assistant coach, that has been a HC before.
Maybe Dino Gaudio wants to make us WF 2.0!!
A higher level assistant that has been a head coach before? Welcome, Phil Martelli!

My god, can you imagine...

(no, I can’t)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Just 🤮 in my mouth a bit.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I know we should always be prepared, but I am convinced that DC is the guy we need at present. I’d rather not discuss replacing him, even hypothetically.
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be open to giving Grasso a chance seems like a young up and comer though . I admit I don’t know too much about him
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......isn’t there a Phil Martelli Jr. out there in the coaching landscape?......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......isn’t there a Phil Martelli Jr. out there in the coaching landscape?......

He is the Associate Head Coach at Bryant

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/m ... r?view=bio
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BC has fired Jim Christian.

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago BC has fired Jim Christian.
St Bonaventure Coach Mark Schmidt's name will most certainly get mentioned for this gig. He is a BC alum that grew up North Attleboro having graduated from Bishop Feehan.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Jim can thank COVID for an extra year of pay.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
St Bonaventure Coach Mark Schmidt's name will most certainly get mentioned for this gig. He is a BC alum that grew up North Attleboro having graduated from Bishop Feehan.
They didn't realize how good they had it with Al Skinner, should never of fired him: all time career wins at BC (247), 7 NCAAT, and a Sweet 16.
Steve Donahue and Jim Christian were complete flops there.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

BC has no chance at all of doing anything well in the ACC. This firing was inevitable. Mark Schmidt will probably be the new coach and will get a big salary for 4-5 years but will have virtually no chance of success but will wind up very wealthy. The same can probably be said about whoever is hired.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BC, while having the prestige of being in the ACC, is a tough gig these days. It is one of the worst programs in the ACC having not done very well since it joined the league (90-178 in conference regural season games). Its facilities are near the bottom for the ACC and it spends far less on its program than other conference members. The salary for head coach is probably near the bottom for the league, a vast difference from what the top coaches are paid.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago BC has no chance at all of doing anything well in the ACC. This firing was inevitable. Mark Schmidt will probably be the new coach and will get a big salary for 4-5 years but will have virtually no chance of success but will wind up very wealthy. The same can probably be said about whoever is hired.
Mark Schmidt would win at BC.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This would be so bad for the A10. They don't have a chance without a Mark Schmidt type at St. Bonnies. Maybe a John Becker type from Vermont? Regardless, a tough program to sell that seems to be in a pretty great spot with a coach that seems unlikely to leave unless it was a great local fit for him and his family (BC).
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago ...
They didn't realize how good they had it with Al Skinner, should never of fired him: all time career wins at BC (247), 7 NCAAT, and a Sweet 16.
URI didn't realize hoe good they had it with Al Skinner as well. Al would have gone to the NCAAT with the team he left for Harrick.
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
They wanted Al to be a salesman and he didn't want too ... He wanted to be buried in his office focusing on basketball, not worrying about mingling with donors or focusing on financing. BC never held midnight madness, it wasn't Skinner's thing. They also used his style against him, deeming his brand of offense with the flex to be a bore. GDF was big on bringing in a coach who played an "exciting" brand of basketball... Yeah, 2 NIT's in 11 years are real exciting.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
URI didn't realize hoe good they had it with Al Skinner as well. Al would have gone to the NCAAT with the team he left for Harrick.
True, URI didn't take care of Skinner the way they should of, they let him get away. But, It did work out with Harrick, if only for 2 years. We gave him the opportunity to get back in and he leveraged it for the Georgia job.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Al’s ability to identify talent, often times overlooked talent, was top notch.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I wonder if Jim Christian would be on the short list for the Fordham job, he is from NY.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He would have gone to the tournament, but he wouldn't have gotten to the Elite 8, he wouldn't have gotten Lamar Odom, wouldn't have gotten us to the tournament in 99, and we wouldn't have the Ryan Center
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
He would have gone to the tournament, but he wouldn't have gotten to the Elite 8, he wouldn't have gotten Lamar Odom, wouldn't have gotten us to the tournament in 99, and we wouldn't have the Ryan Center
Don’t forget that St. Daddy-o the Great also gave us Jerry Duh.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Seems like a lot of the national media types want Schmidt and a lot of the BC fans want Howard Eisley (BC grad, former NBA coach, current Michigan assistant).
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Don’t forget that St. Daddy-o the Great also gave us Jerry Duh.
I think that 97-98 team would of made a deep run in the NCAAT regardless, even with Skinner at the helm.
They were all his players and one of the best starting 5's we ever had: Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, King, Clay, plus Murphy maybe the best 6th man in the conference.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

You also would not have been put on probation.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago BC, while having the prestige of being in the ACC, is a tough gig these days. It is one of the worst programs in the ACC having not done very well since it joined the league (90-178 in conference regural season games). Its facilities are near the bottom for the ACC and it spends far less on its program than other conference members. The salary for head coach is probably near the bottom for the league, a vast difference from what the top coaches are paid.
Buddy told me that a $40 million facility is funded, plans drawn up, and ready to go. They'll announce it almost in tandem with the new hire. My guess is they pay up for a coach finally like they did in football. Still a finite number of high major jobs out there so I think they can make a good hire. But sometimes the best hire is not the noisiest one. Schmidt would be a very good hire.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Did Schmidt have interest in the BC job before they hired JC?

Maybe BC approached him and he said no thanks?

If so, he's not likely to go there now.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want Christian here at URI an Ex alum make it happen Thorr B
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ex alums don't always work out.

He would likely want the job though.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Ex alums don't always work out.

He would likely want the job though.
Like I said earlier wouldn't be surprised if he is mentioned for the Fordham job, being from NY.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Isn't BC afraid of losing players and recruits? :roll:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, If BC is smart Mark Schmidt should be on their short list.
Wouldn't be surprised if Penn State is also interested in MS, not that far from Olean to Happy Valley.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago BC, while having the prestige of being in the ACC, is a tough gig these days. It is one of the worst programs in the ACC having not done very well since it joined the league (90-178 in conference regural season games). Its facilities are near the bottom for the ACC and it spends far less on its program than other conference members. The salary for head coach is probably near the bottom for the league, a vast difference from what the top coaches are paid.
Buddy told me that a $40 million facility is funded, plans drawn up, and ready to go. They'll announce it almost in tandem with the new hire. My guess is they pay up for a coach finally like they did in football. Still a finite number of high major jobs out there so I think they can make a good hire. But sometimes the best hire is not the noisiest one. Schmidt would be a very good hire.
GBG,

I had heard it is going to be a marvelous practice facility for men’s and women’s basketball.
This info came out November 30.

Do you think the announcement is this? Or something bigger?

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

They wanted Al to be a salesman and he didn't want too ... He wanted to be buried in his office focusing on basketball, not worrying about mingling with donors or focusing on financing. BC never held midnight madness, it wasn't Skinner's thing. They also used his style against him, deeming his brand of offense with the flex to be a bore. GDF was big on bringing in a coach who played an "exciting" brand of basketball... Yeah, 2 NIT's in 11 years are real exciting.
Holy crap I believe its been 11 years since he coached there!
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I want Christian here at URI an Ex alum make it happen Thorr B
I heard from somebody( BC Alum) Christian inquired about job when Cox got it . Probably saw the writing on the wall.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Hey Friar , stick your probation nonsense . Jim Harrick was not only a great coach but the state house minions thought that he was a rock STAR ! AL was and is a great guy but not an asskisser He moved on for a better offer and was later screwed by BC ! JIM , Tom Ryan and Linc secured URI the Ryan Center !!!! And for those of you with short memories ,
when Jim left the toadies on Smith Hill tried to renegade on the deal until a meeting with Tom Ryan and Dean Holtz of Fleet at which I would guess that the relocation of CVS headquarters from RI might have been discussed ? NO HARRICK , NO RYAN CENTER and by the way it is the ONLY thing that the State of RI did for URI Athletics since 1952 and they still forced us to fund raise $ 15,000,000. before a shovel could go into the ground just like the DUNK for the Criars . OH , MY BAD , the Dunk was a FREEBEE !!!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I want Christian here at URI an Ex alum make it happen Thorr B
I heard from somebody( BC Alum) Christian inquired about job when Cox got it . Probably saw the writing on the wall.
The writing on the wall was two words, BC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

^^^^^^^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those Geico commercials are hysterical
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Christian was a candidate when they were looking to replace Baron.

Maybe not seriously, but he was on the list....it was a short one....bringing back Al was an option also...he wanted to come back.

reef, the Geico commercial about the motorcycle guy at the DMV was awesome......that'll be 42.50...wild thing!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I would take Christian on our staff immediately - but I don’t htthink he takes the job and Cox won’t allow him in. I
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago BC has no chance at all of doing anything well in the ACC. This firing was inevitable. Mark Schmidt will probably be the new coach and will get a big salary for 4-5 years but will have virtually no chance of success but will wind up very wealthy. The same can probably be said about whoever is hired.
Mark Schmidt would win at BC.
Agree...I mean the guy wins at...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I doubt Christian going to be an assistant he been a head coach for 20 years
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bobby Hurley would be an interesting choice.
Not having a great season at ASU now at (4-6) (7-9) with a NET = 120
The Pandemic has made lots of people think about getting back closer to home
Opportunity to get a program at the very bottom of a very prestigious league, plus he played in the ACC at Duke
He would be back close to his brother and his family

Would be a home run pick for the BC AD

Choices from the Boston Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/15/ ... all-coach/
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......wouldn’t Bobby be the anointed one and the leader in the clubhouse for the Duke job.....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......wouldn’t Bobby be the anointed one and the leader in the clubhouse for the Duke job.....?
You would think so, but he hasn't done himself any favors this season.