Leaders on the court

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Leaders on the court

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, you continue to identify yourself as a fanatic by using a word. "superior" in this case, which I have never used to describe Cox, and expecting too much under the current circumstances. I'll repeat for you, I see Cox becoming a very good head coach. Also, I recognize the difficulty in molding a truck load of transfers into a winning program, and then with (1) a candidate for conference POY injured for most of the year, (2) your best big-man out for most of the year, and (3) a tough OOC schedule.

But, I admire your passion for URI Basketball.

You still haven’t answered my, Blue Man’s, or anyone else’s questions.

What tangible evidence have you seen this season that leads you to believe that this year isn’t a disaster and Cox will become a very good coach and deserves an extension? What PROOF is there?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry, but URI this year is not a plane crash to me. Maybe to a fanatic with an irrational perspective it is. A lesser coach would have played an easier schedule to the benefit of only his career record.
It's at the very least a golf cart wreck right now.

And the cart is on top of coach Cox's head and Fatt's heel.
Cox cleaned up by getting 5 transfers eligible that was an unexpected surprise. Imagine if he hadn't gotten that huge break?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry, but URI this year is not a plane crash to me. Maybe to a fanatic with an irrational perspective it is. A lesser coach would have played an easier schedule to the benefit of only his career record.

Cox cleaned up by getting 5 transfers eligible that was an unexpected surprise. Imagine if he hadn't gotten that huge break?
Ramster, what would our starting five be if the waivers never came through? I think it would be Ish, Walker, Fatts, Shep and Harris/DJ.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Ramster, what would our starting five be if the waivers never came through? I think it would be Ish, Walker, Fatts, Shep and Harris/DJ.
I think it would be:
  • Harris - natural is he was the starter for his Freshman and Sophomore years
  • Walker
  • Leggett
  • Sheppard
  • Russell
  • DJ Johnson off the bench among others
It is possible that the Mitchell's would have become eligible 2nd semester since they would have sat out a full year - but no guarantee

These 5 transfers would normally have sat out until the 2021-2022 season.
They would practice with the team all year 2020-2021
Keaney Blue posters, readers, Sports reporters and other fans would stay excited about these 5 players with high hopes for 2021-2022.
  • Makhi Mitchell
  • Makhel Mitchell
  • Martin
  • Betrand
  • Carey
URI Fans would probably be ok with the Harris, Walker, Leggett, Sheppard, Russell starters since they would be looking forward to next season with the 5 transfers eligible.
They would likely have a record the same or slightly better than this year's team
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

Fans hate losing, and that's what about 99.9 percent of this forum's registered users are. I mean, I doubt "casual" fans are happy about the team's play either, but losing teams don't usually have casual fans anyway.
Many posters here are fans with a rational perspective about the team while some others are fanatics with an irrational perspective. Both groups want the team to be successful. I didn't "hate" losing to Wisconsin, Dayton or VCU for that matter. Admittedly, the losses to UMASS were tough to take. Everyone expected more from Carey, Betrand and Harris; and the injuries to Fatts and Makhi have hurt the team. Those with a rational perspective don't want to blow up the program because of what has happened this year.
So "fan" is literally the short form of "fanatic" - if you care about a sports team you do not play on enough to spend your free time posting your opinions on it on a message board, you're a fanatic too. We're all in the same boat. You are right that everyone on here wants the team to be successful.

I would point out that the biggest divide is what we all deem "success" to mean.

A lot of this programs fans are people from south county who do not care about sports outside of Kingston. They are happy to watch the team and think that a win against a "name brand" program is good - no matter how good that team actually is. They think that because we've never been a feature in March that an NCAA tournament birth is frosting on top of the cake that is watching the basketball team in the middle of winter, no matter how they are playing.

Then there are those of us who are also from the same area, but also care about sports outside of Kingston. They understand what "success" actually looks like in the context of college basketball and see no reason why with the proper investments and people that we could be a part of it.

They saw where Xavier, Temple, and Dayton have all gone since the late 1990's, and remember that we were contemporaries with all 3 of those programs. We made two awful decisions (Jerry D and a 10 year baseless contract extension for JB), and took different roads than the other former A-10 powers.

You also don't need to go too far back in history (3-5 years) to see a time when URI was once again a perennial top-of-the-conference power. Again, a lack of investments signaled a lack of a commitment to winning, and their star coach went to a place that tangibly valued winning on the same level he did. Mainly because their fan base had bigger expectations than what they were currently seeing. They fired a head coach who had literally won them a national championship - but they also understood basketball and knew what they were seeing wasn't sustainable under that coach.

So while I understand your perspective of not "hating" losing to certain teams - I remember the games and the context of how/why we lost those games, which is frustrating.

For example you talk about an injury to Fatts as hurting the team. That's obvious - but why he's hurting the team is the problem. He's being played 20-30 minutes a night INJURED. In the Dayton loss, the team was working fine with Ish running the point and being on the floor instead of Fatts. In fact, Ish was the only player to register a positive +/- that night. a +9. Fatts Russell? -13. Plus with Ish in the lineup we had a lead. Cox put in Fatts and the lead evaporated.

That's one of a series of similar examples. Fatts' injury is hurting the team because of how the coach is handling it. Instead of letting his star player get rest (or forcing him to get rest for his own good) he is playing him to the detriment of the team and the player, helping no one.

It's the same argument for the VCU loss.

Losing is part of basketball, it comes with the territory. But it's on the coach to put the players in a position to win, and then the teams duke it out to see who was better on that given night.

The coach has pushed far more of the wrong buttons than the right buttons for the past 3 years, with obvious errors that were pointed out at the time and not just armchair point guards.

For the "everyone expected more from Carey and Betrand" argument - you're right, we did. This statement is apparent that you agree that they have fallen way short of expectations. So why then are they 5th and 7th in minutes on a team that plays 10 players a night?

Anyone who expected more of Harris simply hasn't watched basketball or has this weird complex where you can't point out that he sucks because he actually sucks - but why is he getting minutes in high leverage situations if there isn't foul trouble?

These are a few of a myriad of questions that hopefully the "casual" fan will start to ask of their coach after reading Morey's article.

But to say that those with a "rational perspective don't want to blow up the program because of what has happened this year" is a complete misrepresentation of what people are saying.

It has less to do with this individual year, as much as it does the development of the team, players, program, and coaches over a linear 3 year period.

It goes all the way back to taking Jeff Dowtin off the ball and letting Fatts do literally whatever he wants - calling his own plays at the end of games, forcing shots, literally shooting 18% for MONTHS that cost us 7 of 8 games in Jan/Feb and a chance at an NCAA birth.

It has less to do with wins and losses and more to do with HOW and WHY we are losing.

Hurley's year 2 team had a long losing streak and finished below .500 - no one was sounding alarm bells. We had a young team, our "leaders" were a senior transfer and a senior glue guy, and depended on freshmen EC and Hassan. Hurley's year 3 team took a huge step forward, beat a ranked team, almost made the NCAA, and went to the NIT. There was a linear progression in EVERYTHING - coaching staff changes, Hurley's substitution patterns and rotations changed - less playing time for guys like Biggie Minnis with the emergence of Jarvis, and burying guys like Jerelle Reischel who couldn't contribute. We didn't have an exodus of key pieces year over year.

It's such a wild oversimplification to say that people are angry because we're losing games this year and doesn't give this fan base enough credit. You don't need to be a pilot to recognize a plane crash. We recognize what good basketball looks like, we recognize what a functioning program looks like. It's obvious we're not seeing that regardless of our record.
This is pretty much 100% correct. I see friends at the pub that are URI grads and really have no in-depth knowledge of what is going on in the program. It's a night out. Heck it's a night out for me too. The more I see, the more the Dowtin/Fatts thing pisses me off. What Cox did to Dowtin is inexcusable. As for Hurley, from day one, it was obvious he could coach. The difference was clear. Now, we are perilously close to losing everything we gained.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago The only way I could possibly be okay with losing out is if Cox shortens the bench and plays people the minutes they actually deserve.
And I hate to say it because I love him, but that includes Fatts whether he is injured or not. He shoots a contested 3 after one pass with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, yank him.
It is time to start sending a message. I came to the realization months ago that we weren't destined for the tournament so I was okay with seeing what we had with players. But the sample size for this season is big enough. Shorten the bench. Players can always improve their minutes this year and of course next year is a clean slate, but those minutes must be earned and not given.
That is the funniest, unlikeliest thing I've read in a while (but I'm not through with the thread yet)...as it stands, this board would be stunned into keyboard silence if such an event were to occur...
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Funny because Cox won't do it, or funny because it is a bad take?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago How bout the coach taking over with a lot of intensity from the bench? It might become contagious.
Intensity from the bench? Like Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Jay Wright.

Jack Kraft, Tom Penders, and Al Skinner were as mild-mannered as they come.

Nobody needs a coach jumping around like a crazy man. (Bruce Pearl shtick?) The best teams are player-led teams. Dowtin's absence is huge as Fatts is not a leader. This team lacks leadership from the players and the chemistry easily cracks when things get tough.

"Bad teams, no one leads. Average teams, coaches lead. But elite teams, players lead." - P.J. Fleck

Read these articles:
https://coachingtoolbox.net/the-advanta ... ip-council

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2020/12/1 ... d-team-msu
All of the great coaches have emotions on the sideline. Not everyone needs to go full Pearl or Hurley - but SOME emotion wouldn't be the worst. Izzo, K, Boeheim, Williams, Cal...every great coach has at least a little bit of fire.

Cox is way too close to Baron in that regard - whether he is or isn't, his body language comes off as aloof or confused. At this point his offensive philosophy and in-game adjustments aren't anywhere close to a level to allow him to be laid back.

And yes there are exceptions like a Jay Wright - but if you are a master tactician and run a flawless motion offense, you're probably the exception and not the rule.
"ALL of the great coaches have emotions?" Well, if you're saying all coaches go off on officials every now and then...sure agree. But Boeheim sits with his chin in his hand for the most part (you know the pose they show on TV all the time) and coaches his team...and he rarely gets in anybody's grill nor does he do any rah-rah. Do you realize what you're saying? You're whining about Cox's emotion. Was Al Skinner an emotional guy? Dean Smith? Is Tony Bennett at UVA? Was Lute Olson? John Belein? Tom Landry? So NOT all coaches are emotional on the sideline.

I couldn't care how much "fire" a coach shows. I want to see a well-coached, well-disciplined team that plays hard and with great chemistry/togetherness regardless of the coach. Right now, URI has none of that.

I would imagine you would take the mild-mannered Tommy Amaker on the URI bench if he won at URI like he does at Harvard, right? (For the record, Michigan fans whined that Tommy wasn't emotional enough. It ends up he just didn't win enough at Ann Arbor.)

So forget about how coach doesn't look "intense" on the bench in the close up TV shots that you see. He coaches how he coaches. He's a coach...they're all intense because if they don't win, then they lose their job and they can't support their families. It's bottom line business. He knows that.

I do care about players' body language because that can reflect discouragement, leading to poor effort, lack of communication, and lack of grit during a game.

Glad to see some folks agree with me on the loss of Dowtin being huge. Michigan State is finding the same with the loss off Cassius Winston. You lose a 4-year starting point guard who stirred the drink...that cannot be understated for URI (or MSU). Fatts does not have the leadership skills...that's not a criticism. Not everyone has it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I actually feel like I see Dave pissed off most of the time. When I went to the WKU game I heard him screaming the entire time.

This i do not get. He gets angry at the players constantly.

Its just his hunched over body language is the problem. When you hunch like that its indicative of low serotonin levels.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We have a losing record in conference, so it's not a schedule issue
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Keep in mind the super awesome schedule we played had a Q1 game we didn’t belong in, 3 Q2 games, and 2 Q3 losses.

But there were some big names that a few farmers from Charlestown recognized so it was a great schedule!

This reminds me of when people talk about Barons “big win” of beating one of Boeheim’s worst Syracuse teams.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Keep in mind the super awesome schedule we played had a Q1 game we didn’t belong in, 3 Q2 games, and 2 Q3 losses.

But there were some big names that a few farmers from Charlestown recognized so it was a great schedule!

This reminds me of when people talk about Barons “big win” of beating one of Boeheim’s worst Syracuse teams.
oof. Charlestown doesn't even have farmers, man - you could have mentioned Exeter, Richmond or Hopkinton at least!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

oof. Charlestown doesn't even have farmers, man - you could have mentioned Exeter, Richmond or Hopkinton at least!
Lies! I’ve been to a great farm stand in Charlestown off on route 1.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To get back to the original post of this thread the closest this program has to a leader right now is Antwan Walker. And for some reason he is on the court less than 25 mins a night.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
You continue to sound more and more delusional by the post.

It's comical at this point.

Let's take out the OOC games to cater to your "easier schedule" line.

We were picked to finish 6th in conference, are currently in 8th, and there aren't too many more wins on the schedule, therefore we'll finish below 6th.

We also lost to the worst P5 program in America, who was without their leading scorer, and would struggle to compete in the AAC, A10, WCC.

We've blown late game leads @ Duquesne, @ UMass, VCU. Not competitive in a loss at home against UMass who was without two starters.

We also have gotten worse as a team as the season has progressed.

So please tell us how this isn't a plane crash of a season.

Still waiting for you to tell us how this isn't a disaster of a season and legitimate reasons why Cox deserves an extension.
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago To get back to the original post of this thread the closest this program has to a leader right now is Antwan Walker. And for some reason he is on the court less than 25 mins a night.
I have really liked the energy he has shown on and off the court. He seems to do a good job of keeping Mahkel calm/focused. Definitely more vocal then Fatts or Shep
After watching the first few games, I was hoping Betrand was going to be a leader as well. I was a bit surprised to see his interaction with Jermaine last game when Jermaine came over to help him up after he committed a foul.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago To get back to the original post of this thread the closest this program has to a leader right now is Antwan Walker. And for some reason he is on the court less than 25 mins a night.
I have really liked the energy he has shown on and off the court. He seems to do a good job of keeping Mahkel calm/focused. Definitely more vocal then Fatts or Shep
After watching the first few games, I was hoping Betrand was going to be a leader as well. I was a bit surprised to see his interaction with Jermaine last game when Jermaine came over to help him up after he committed a foul.
In Betrand's defense i think he was hurt and Jermaine rushed to help him up (not a bad thing) when he seemingly wanted to shake off the injury a bit on the floor. I think it was just a misread by JH and no harm no foul. In terms of Betrand I agree, and in his first game he seemed to be the guy patted guys on the butt and imploring them to play D, etc. All that seems to have gone away with his lack of confidence on offensive side of the ball. Twan has been the most steady, from leading the dancing in Mohegan to helping keep Makhel, Fatts and Shep positive he is the only guy who seems to take on any type of leadership role.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
In Betrand's defense i think he was hurt and Jermaine rushed to help him up (not a bad thing) when he seemingly wanted to shake off the injury a bit on the floor. I think it was just a misread by JH and no harm no foul. In terms of Betrand I agree, and in his first game he seemed to be the guy patted guys on the butt and imploring them to play D, etc. All that seems to have gone away with his lack of confidence on offensive side of the ball. Twan has been the most steady, from leading the dancing in Mohegan to helping keep Makhel, Fatts and Shep positive he is the only guy who seems to take on any type of leadership role.
It certainly could have been. Even still, it was an interesting interaction.
I do think the lack of leadership has hurt this group. A unique year with everything happening off the court between COVID and transfers. I think a strong leadership group from the players may have helped, especially as the year doesn't go as envisioned.
A harsh reality of basketball at this level, is that things never go as planned. The second leading scorer envisioned being the leading scorer. The 6th man thought he'd be a starter. The 8th man thought he'd get more touches. The 10th man thought he'd be further up the rotation etc etc. A quote from JVG I heard on a podcast recently- Everyone wants to "win" but many people only want to win if it's on their own agenda. That really seems to apply to this group, at least from my perspective on the outside looking in.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of Antwan as a leader. He wasn't great last night, but once again, wasn't given a lot of minutes to make an impact. He played 20 minutes....7 pts., 6 rebounds, one bad pass. He only had 2 fouls, so that's not the reason for his lack of minutes? Why the hell isn't he playing more? By contrast, Malik Martin played 25 minutes. Yes, I know, different position, but which one of those two deserves more minutes?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of Antwan as a leader. He wasn't great last night, but once again, wasn't given a lot of minutes to make an impact. He played 20 minutes....7 pts., 6 rebounds, one bad pass. He only had 2 fouls, so that's not the reason for his lack of minutes? Why the hell isn't he playing more? By contrast, Malik Martin played 25 minutes. Yes, I know, different position, but which one of those two deserves more minutes?
Twan also had a great block at the rim. 25 minutes for Malik is way too much usage. The 5 bench guys got 45 minutes, too much again. It's too easy to see these things on my couch for our coach to not be seeing them too, yet i don't see any substantative change in his approach.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Funny because Cox won't do it, or funny because it is a bad take?
A. Otherwise, it's a great take.