Who enters the transfer portal first? (Poll)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Who enters the transfer portal first?

Poll ended at 3 years ago

Carey
29%
Betrand
No votes
Leggett
45%
Tres
23%
Martin
No votes
Walker
3%

Total votes: 31

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Who enters the transfer portal first? (Poll)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago There's so much negativity on the KB forum. I hope the players realize it's not representative of the overall fanbase. Are we really submitting answers to this question? It's been a disappointing season so far...it's not the end of the world or the program.
How does this board not reflect the overall fanbase? The overall fanbase is positive in regards to the direction of this program?

For two years I've been pointing out that the amount of transfers have been excessive and have been told "it's the new normal" and we're better off for it. Now we have a question wondering who will transfer and it's considered out of bounds? If massive transfers are truly "the new normal" like I've been told, then wondering who might transfer is absolutely a valid topic of discussion
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

No, but all the gains that were made during the Hurley years are gone. It's going to take a while to dig out of this mess. Some of us older fans are running out of time.
Yes, we got a little taste of success in Hurley's last 2 years after a long drought and now many fans are restless again.
How did you feel about things in 14-15, which was his third year?
I was massively excited. Yes, they turned out to be completely overrated, but we beat a then top 25 team on our home court. We saw a core of freshmen and sophomores that was right on the cusp with a 13-5 record in conference, but they just weren't ready to get over the hump quite yet.

Right now, this is a program on the downswing. Last year you had Fatts playing at an almost All-American level for part of the year, ending up as first team All A10. You also had Jeff Dowtin playing at a third team All A10 level out of position and Cyril Langevine giving you a double double inside every night. Even that team under Cox had a Baron like collapse. This year is, well it's been something. Who is our core going forward? Ishmael Leggett and the Mitchell twins. There's promise there, but will that core outperform last year's core, which they'll need to do at some point to reach the tournament? Do we have enough and the right complementary pieces to surround that core to get them over the hump? Assuming we have all of the right pieces, can we then keep them all? Does anyone see them seriously approaching the core that 2014-15 team grew up to become?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago But those things don’t fall on DC. His job is to win games and keep the program relevant.
But it's all intertwined. By him not winning enough games last year to get into the tournament and him not having us not being relevant this year donations slow down and it becomes tougher to build all the things he wants
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I agree that this is a silly poll and doesn’t look good for the board. Even acknowledging that there is risk every year that we will lose player(s) it’s like people on the board are projecting their own feelings onto our players. None of us know at all what their feelings are towards DC and each other.

In terms of the “gains” made during DH years that’s sorta hyperbole. What we lost were the wins and ncaa appearances, we lost some momentum with recruits and potentially donors I guess. But it’s not like we had something tangible with DH that we no longer have that isn’t fixed with more Ws and less Ls.
BAR this is spot on 100%, I appreciate reading your posts and a few others, but man for the most part this board has become a cess pool of miserable people saying dumber and dumber things. Then they give bro hugs to each other like 12 year olds. Pathetic.

Hey we can all be very unhappy with what we are seeing but show a little class. This poll is not that. I know it is a message board and yes you can say what you want yada yada etc. But it is a bad look for anybody who cares at all about Rhody hoops (and I know a few of the most prolific posters do not care just a troll job, but the rest of you? Come on be better.

And yes St. Louis will crush us tomorrow. They are just a much better team that until Covid knocked them out for about a month was the best team in this league. So I would be surprised if this game is competitive tomorrow so don't act like someone stole your girlfriend if they lose by double digits.
Your post is a bad look. How is talking about a relevant part of the basketball program not showing class? And now we should just sit back and take a double digit loss tomorrow to a team that has been mediocre since coming out of their pause and be happy for the privilege? Yeah, no thanks.

Seriously, the last year has been the end of the Baron era all over again. Team collapsing poorly one year, playing bad the next, all the while you suddenly have people coming out of the woodwork acting like the message board is the issue and not the product on the court. I would have thought the Hurley era would have flushed this type of garbage down the toilet
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I agree that this is a silly poll and doesn’t look good for the board. Even acknowledging that there is risk every year that we will lose player(s) it’s like people on the board are projecting their own feelings onto our players. None of us know at all what their feelings are towards DC and each other.

In terms of the “gains” made during DH years that’s sorta hyperbole. What we lost were the wins and ncaa appearances, we lost some momentum with recruits and potentially donors I guess. But it’s not like we had something tangible with DH that we no longer have that isn’t fixed with more Ws and less Ls.
BAR this is spot on 100%, I appreciate reading your posts and a few others, but man for the most part this board has become a cess pool of miserable people saying dumber and dumber things. Then they give bro hugs to each other like 12 year olds. Pathetic.

Hey we can all be very unhappy with what we are seeing but show a little class. This poll is not that. I know it is a message board and yes you can say what you want yada yada etc. But it is a bad look for anybody who cares at all about Rhody hoops (and I know a few of the most prolific posters do not care just a troll job, but the rest of you? Come on be better.

And yes St. Louis will crush us tomorrow. They are just a much better team that until Covid knocked them out for about a month was the best team in this league. So I would be surprised if this game is competitive tomorrow so don't act like someone stole your girlfriend if they lose by double digits.
Kudos to both of you about this poll.. My opinion is it should go away and never return in any form. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I was one of these student athletes and saw this poll I would be hugely offended. Come on gang we're better than this..
So you give kudos to a poster saying they'd be surprised if the game tomorrow would be competitive and forecasting that we lose by double digits? You don't think that's potentially offensive? If I'm an athlete I'm far more offended reading that from one of my fans than a topic wondering who might transfer
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

The interwebs is a wide world of everything. Maybe you should start your own forum?
Correct me if I am wrong...isn't this the guy who logs on just to bash JT mostly? Schooling everyone on awareness/knowledge of basketball?

1. I've stopped for the most part this year with him, he's been largely irrelevant this season, therefor no need for me to constantly critique his play.

2. I have plenty of knowledge in the game of basketball, seeing how I continued to say Harris is not nearly as talented as people made him out to be (I've been right all along), and this year 95% of posters finally seem to share that same sentiment.

I was just saying making a poll basically encouraging players to transfer is a bad and dumb look.
Your posting is known for not just critiquing a player, but outright attacking one particular player but this thread is somehow beyond the pale? Your whole posting history is a bad look
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago There's so much negativity on the KB forum. I hope the players realize it's not representative of the overall fanbase. Are we really submitting answers to this question? It's been a disappointing season so far...it's not the end of the world or the program.
How does this board not reflect the overall fanbase? The overall fanbase is positive in regards to the direction of this program?

For two years I've been pointing out that the amount of transfers have been excessive and have been told "it's the new normal" and we're better off for it. Now we have a question wondering who will transfer and it's considered out of bounds? If massive transfers are truly "the new normal" like I've been told, then wondering who might transfer is absolutely a valid topic of discussion
I don't think it does. How many people are registered and post on KB? I tiny percentage of the overall fan base. Who tends to be on these types of forums? The most passionate fans. The most passionate fans tend to have more extreme views about the team etc. I don't think the average Rhody fan (or fan of any team) is thinking about this stuff and reacting like we do. But if you want to boil it down to positive or negative, I would agree that more fans have a negative outlook at this time.

To me this discussion is just negative speculation especially in the middle of a season.

Just my opinion.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Kudos to both of you about this poll.. My opinion is it should go away and never return in any form. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I was one of these student athletes and saw this poll I would be hugely offended. Come on gang we're better than this..
Better than what? Multiple transfers is going to be the new normal...in and out.
The coach needs to be like a GM. This is a part of the game now. (Hopefully DC is aware)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Better than what? Multiple transfers is going to be the new normal...in and out.
The coach needs to be like a GM. This is a part of the game now. (Hopefully DC is aware)

Multiple transfers doesn't have to be the new normal for our team if there's a set culture and expectations in place.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago If I were Ish, I'd run like hell. Does he think this staff is going to help him develop?
Not sure about Ish, he and his inner circle have a close relationship with Cox.

I think JH would be my guess for first in the portal if someone decides to leave, he wasn't on the list though.
Yep! Assuming that the twins are here next year , why would uri or him want to stay ?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rod really got what he wanted in the Hurley hire, which was someone who was going to flat out crack the whip around here. He wanted someone who ran a tight ship. Hurley was still a young coach, but he fit the bill.

That's why, when people started to sour on Hurley before those last two seasons, he took it personally. He was ready to fight you to parking lot to defend his guy. The pay out in the end was obviously worth it, hindsight being what it is.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I think we have a decent working knowledge re: coaches after about 3 decades of hanging around this program. Nice guy coaches tend to attract players but rarely get the most out of them. Hard asses have a bit more trouble sometimes attracting players but squeeze every last drop of juice from the rind, often getting more from less talent.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Rod really got what he wanted in the Hurley hire, which was someone who was going to flat out crack the whip around here. He wanted someone who ran a tight ship. Hurley was still a young coach, but he fit the bill.

That's why, when people started to sour on Hurley before those last two seasons, he took it personally. He was ready to fight you to parking lot to defend his guy. The pay out in the end was obviously worth it, hindsight being what it is.
With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect so according to the Geneva Convention I can say whatever I want and you can't get offended, your second paragraph is complete and total horseshit. I know, because Rod berated me for being a Kool Aid drinker between the Fordham loss and selection Sunday. It's all right there for the reading if you want to go far enough back on the board. Rod was a big proponent of the hire, but he soured on Hurley before the first tournament season
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You could tell right from the start that DH was a great hire. You had to give him a long leash he builds programs
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Rod really got what he wanted in the Hurley hire, which was someone who was going to flat out crack the whip around here. He wanted someone who ran a tight ship. Hurley was still a young coach, but he fit the bill.

With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect so according to the Geneva Convention I can say whatever I want and you can't get offended, your second paragraph is complete and total horseshit. I know, because Rod berated me for being a Kool Aid drinker between the Fordham loss and selection Sunday. It's all right there for the reading if you want to go far enough back on the board. Rod was a big proponent of the hire, but he soured on Hurley before the first tournament season
rhodyfan3000,
KB says you have been a member for 1 year, so I'm not sure if you have read the Jim Baron 2.0 thread but Rod's view on Hurley is clearly stated throughout that 23 page, 1100 post masterpiece of a thread. Rod talks of his original passion for Hurley with the hire, but, as RhowdyRam02 stated, Rod heavily soured on Hurley before Hurley's NCAA Tournament Season completed. He explains why in the Baron 2.0 thread.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6468