2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic news can’t wait til Wednesday afternoon baby
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Michigan State and UVA just cancelled - we should call Michigan State and schedule a game Thursday. We already meet Big10 protocols and are generally in the area already.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Michigan State and UVA just cancelled - we should call Michigan State and schedule a game Thursday. We already meet Big10 protocols and are generally in the area already.
No shot with the Sunday game.

Would've been great though.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Michigan State and UVA just cancelled - we should call Michigan State and schedule a game Thursday. We already meet Big10 protocols and are generally in the area already.

We can't play Wednesday/Thursday and then Sunday - no guarantee WKU game will be on. Get good games when you can get them.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

We can't play Wednesday/Thursday and then Sunday - no guarantee WKU game will be on. Get good games when you can get them.
Charter was funded by Wisconsin. Per Covid they're getting us out of there and home ASAP.

The negotiations take about 24 hours to work out. Earliest you could theoretically play in this scenario would be Friday.

Meaning the team would have to fly home to Kingston tonight. Turn around get right back on a plane tomorrow for Lansing. Then fly down to Kentucky or have some type of turnaround?

You'd lose any semblance of practice/prep time regardless.

I don't disagree that it would be great to get to happen. I'm just telling you what I know.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You also don’t want to put your team in a competitive disadvantage going against WKU with a schedule of travel, play, travel, play, travel play.
The WKU game is the more important OOC game.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

WKU more important than a shot at Mich. State. LOL.

I don’t think the game will happen as I was just dreaming out loud, but if it did the 2 days rest before a game against WKU should not be the reason it doesn’t go forward. Playing Wisconsin and then Michigan State would be good prep for WKU.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago WKU more important than a shot at Mich. State. LOL.

I don’t think the game will happen as I was just dreaming out loud, but if it did the 2 days rest before a game against WKU should not be the reason it doesn’t go forward. Playing Wisconsin and then Michigan State would be good prep for WKU.
If it were feasible to in theory, to play Wisconsin today, then go to Lansing and play Mich St. on Friday, then go to WKU without travelling back to campus until after WKU, and do all this safely, then sign me up. But travelling back to RI only to turn around and go back to the midwest again is ridiculous.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

If it were feasible to in theory, to play Wisconsin today, then go to Lansing and play Mich St. on Friday, then go to WKU without travelling back to campus until after WKU, and do all this safely, then sign me up. But travelling back to RI only to turn around and go back to the midwest again is ridiculous.
That is what I was thinking - don’t go back to RI play the Midwest school that may have an opening.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

That is what I was thinking - don’t go back to RI play the Midwest school that may have an opening.
Would be a challenge to get lined up and quite the grind for these kids, probably won't happen. I am curious to see if they get a game scheduled between Davidson (12/18) and the Bonnies (12/30). Due to cancelations and teams coming off of pause (UConn) there may be some interest.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Would be a challenge to get lined up and quite the grind for these kids, probably won't happen. I am curious to see if they get a game scheduled between Davidson (12/18) and the Bonnies (12/30). Due to cancelations and teams coming off of pause (UConn) there may be some interest.
We could see the BC game scheduled between 12/20-12/28 if both teams need it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can definitely see a game scheduled for late December
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

At 3-4 in the OOC, look for Cox to now try to schedule a relatively easy OOC win. He will want to be at least .500.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago At 3-4 in the OOC, look for Cox to now try to schedule a relatively easy OOC win. He will want to be at least .500.
I don't disagree, the schedule has been a little brutal, we may need a game to help build up their confidence.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

One home game so far right?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago One home game so far right?
Yes
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We still have an 11 day open stretch after tonight. Cox had mentioned he was still looking to schedule another game, any rumors of possible opponents?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago We still have an 11 day open stretch after tonight. Cox had mentioned he was still looking to schedule another game, any rumors of possible opponents?
BC is a possibility
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Everyone one of Uri’s opponents are a top 100 team. Maybe scheduling this difficult of an OOC was detrimental. These guys look cooked.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Everyone one of Uri’s opponents are a top 100 team. Maybe scheduling this difficult of an OOC was detrimental. These guys look cooked.
Might actually be good for us to have a cupcake.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Everyone one of Uri’s opponents are a top 100 team. Maybe scheduling this difficult of an OOC was detrimental. These guys look cooked.
Might actually be good for us to have a cupcake.
Is Fairleigh Dickinson available?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Probably a good thing.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Fatts and a few others play like they did tonight we are not going to beat too many teams on our schedule
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I haven’t been able to follow college basketball, including the Rams, as much as I like to this season, so the team might have addressed this, but have they mentioned any plans for that gap between 2/16 and 3/2? It looked good at the time to have that break if they needed to make up games, but they’ve been very fortunate with that. That’s a lot of time off between games to keep everyone sharp and engaged.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 3 years ago I haven’t been able to follow college basketball, including the Rams, as much as I like to this season, so the team might have addressed this, but have they mentioned any plans for that gap between 2/16 and 3/2? It looked good at the time to have that break if they needed to make up games, but they’ve been very fortunate with that. That’s a lot of time off between games to keep everyone sharp and engaged.
No they have not mentioned this gap. However, the George Washington game was postponed and yet to be rescheduled so that game seems a good possibility for scheduling during this gap.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, possibly. GW has had so many postponements, though. I wonder how the conference will prioritize the games to be made up, in general. Location? Number of games the other team has gotten in? The best match-ups?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, possibly. GW has had so many postponements, though. I wonder how the conference will prioritize the games to be made up, in general. Location? Number of games the other team has gotten in? The best match-ups?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the league schedules a second game with st bona to try and get them a tier 2 or whatever win, but actually nvm URI will be ranked too low by then haha
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, possibly. GW has had so many postponements, though. I wonder how the conference will prioritize the games to be made up, in general. Location? Number of games the other team has gotten in? The best match-ups?
I would think the league will look to first try to schedule games for the teams that have played the fewest league contests. Next priority would likely then be given to teams that are battling for the top conference seeds and possible NCAA tournament consideration. Rhody falls into none of these categories.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I wouldn't mind if we had no games left.

This season can't end fast enough.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago I haven’t been able to follow college basketball, including the Rams, as much as I like to this season, so the team might have addressed this, but have they mentioned any plans for that gap between 2/16 and 3/2? It looked good at the time to have that break if they needed to make up games, but they’ve been very fortunate with that. That’s a lot of time off between games to keep everyone sharp and engaged.
No they have not mentioned this gap. However, the George Washington game was postponed and yet to be rescheduled so that game seems a good possibility for scheduling during this gap.
During our gap George Washington has the following games:

2/17 vs. St. Joe's
2/21 vs. St. Bonaventure
2/27 vs. George Mason

So midweek between the 21st and 27th would be an opening. Other teams open during that week are:

St. Bonaventure
Dayton
Duquesne
La Salle

Looking at postponed games between the six teams that have an opening that midweek, current place in the A10 standings and how many games they would play in conference if everything they're still scheduled for is played:

George Washington 11th, 10 games, were postponed here, at St. Bonaventure, at Dayton
We were postponed vs. George Washington, are 8th, 17 games
St. Bonaventure 1st, 13 games was postponed vs. George Washington
Dayton 6th, 17 games was postponed vs. George Washington
Duquesne 7th, 15 games
La Salle 10th, 17 games

You'd think if they schedule games they'd want to schedule:
George Washington against St. Bonaventure (play them weekend before, less risk of Covid postponing the game) or La Salle (could be deciding factor for who plays Wednesday and who stays out of PI Game)
Have St. Bonaventure (40) play us (88) or Dayton (86) to give them a shot of a top 100 NET game to hopefully boost their resume
Have a game between two out of three of us, Duquesne, and Dayton for seeding purposes
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 Remaining games after tonight:
3 road, 1 home
Possibility GW gets rescheduled.
2 week gap between Dayton and St Joseph’s games

Feb 10 Wed @ St Louis - 43 - CBSSN - TBA
Feb 13 Sat @ Davidson - 67 - ESPN+ 2pm
Feb 16 Tue vs Dayton - 86 - CBSSN - TBA
Mar 2 Tue @ St Joseph's - 268 - ESPN+ 6pm

URI 88 NET
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 4 Remaining games after tonight:
3 road, 1 home
Possibility GW gets rescheduled.
2 week gap between Dayton and St Joseph’s games

Feb 10 Wed @ St Louis - 43 - CBSSN - TBA
Feb 13 Sat @ Davidson - 67 - ESPN+ 2pm
Feb 16 Tue vs Dayton - 86 - CBSSN - TBA
Mar 2 Tue @ St Joseph's - 268 - ESPN+ 6pm

URI 88 NET
We will be underdogs in 3 and were lucky to beat St. Joseph's at home, looking pretty gloom.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With Saint Louis, Davidson and Dayton remaining, there is a possibility that we finish 12th in the A10 if we don’t step up our game performance. Depends on whether other teams make up postponed games or not.

88186EEF-339C-46A3-A638-32D87400B7BD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

They went on pause two weeks ago today. Whats the hold up?
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can't lose if you don't play!
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn it was looking forward to that one
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Following Tuesday Night's Game vs Dayton we do not play for 2 full weeks to face St Joseph's on the road for our last game
Not a good situation with the A10 Tournament upcoming

Like what Northeastern did today in scheduling a game AT North Carolina in 2 days. Northeastern has 2 games remaining with William and Mary and that is it. They are 2nd in the CAA with a (8-2) record. They are clearly in the fight for the auto-bid for the CAA.

Will URI schedule a game or two during this 2 week hiatus?

James Madison (8-1)
Northeastern (8-2)
Charleston (6-4)
Hofstra (8-6)
Delaware (5-4)
William & Mary (4-4)
Drexel (3-5)
Towson (3-9)
UNC Wilmington (1-5)
Elon (1-7)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Following Tuesday Night's Game vs Dayton we do not play for 2 full weeks to face St Joseph's on the road for our last game

Like what Northeastern did today in scheduling a game AT North Carolina in 2 days. Northeastern has 2 games remaining with William and Mary and that is it. They are 2nd in the CAA with a (8-2) record. They are clearly in the fight for the auto-bid for the CAA.

James Madison (8-1)
Northeastern (8-2)
Charleston (6-4)
Hofstra (8-6)
Delaware (5-4)
William & Mary (4-4)
Drexel (3-5)
Towson (3-9)
UNC Wilmington (1-5)
Elon (1-7)

I would assume we would try and reschedule the GW and/or Davidson game.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Davidson has had seven A-10 games canceled (including URI) and GW has had nine (including URI). So it would all depend on how the A-10 prioritizes make-ups.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Following Tuesday Night's Game vs Dayton we do not play for 2 full weeks to face St Joseph's on the road for our last game

James Madison (8-1)
Northeastern (8-2)
Charleston (6-4)
Hofstra (8-6)
Delaware (5-4)
William & Mary (4-4)
Drexel (3-5)
Towson (3-9)
UNC Wilmington (1-5)
Elon (1-7)

I would assume we would try and reschedule the GW and/or Davidson game.
My point on Northeastern is that they are smart scheduling on this Monday, a game AT North Carolina for this coming Wednesday (2 days notice) taking advantage of an opportunity to play #57 NET Ranked UNC at UNC. Heck of a road game opportunity that never comes up in a Non-Covid Season.

Smart move by UNC playing a potential Auto-Bid NCAA Team to spruce up their resume as they are a borderline At-Large Candidate.

UNC is currently 5th in the ACC with a (7-5) Conference Record but only a NET-57 which is clearly a very borderline ranking. UNC must finish strong and play well in the ACC Tournament.

This additional potential win against a potential NCAA Team on their home court is a wise move. Both teams taking advantage of a late scheduling opportunity.

ACC NET:

ACC League:
#7 AP Ranked Virginia (11-2) (15-4) NET-9
#16 AP Ranked Florida State (8-2) (12-3) NET-16
#18 AP Ranked Virginia Tech (8-3) (14-4) NET-34
Louisville (6-3) (11-4) NET-31
North Carolina (7-5) (12-7) NET-57
Clemson (7-5) (13-5) NET-42
Syracuse (6-5) (12-6) NET-52
Georgia Tech (6-6) (10-8) NET-61
Duke (6-6) (8-8) NET-66
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we were battling for a top 4 finish in the league, it would make sense to schedule another game or two.

Otherwise, what's the point?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we were battling for a top 4 finish in the league, it would make sense to schedule another game or two.

Each game is a chance for improvement.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Still waiting.

Not going to happen this season.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Still waiting.

Not going to happen this season.
Even if there is a miracle improvement down the stretch, playing UNC on 2 days notice won’t be the reason. The reason will be Fatts get healthy, the team gets a break to figure some stuff out and things magically come together.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we were battling for a top 4 finish in the league, it would make sense to schedule another game or two.

Rambone,

In this situation one can only hope for the NCAA AutoBid - must win the A10 Tournament. I personally think that a line up of Mitchell, Walker, Sheppard, Leggett and Betrand (or Martin) with Russell off the Bench (or Russell starting depending on health) can beat any of the other 13 A10 Teams this year. There is no Dayton with Obie Toppin and Saint Louis has shown to be beatable.

For URI to give up now would be criminal. Having a 2 week period from tonight to two weeks from tonight with zero competition would be criminal. This is where David Cox can step up.

Look at Mike Rhodes whose VCU Team was picked 9th A10 (3 slots behind URI) and he has his team in 1st place. Look at Davidson! Duquesne and Saint Louis with 3 game winning streaks.

Look at Northeastern scheduling at UNC on Monday and going down there for a game Wednesday. Northeastern was picked 7th preseason.

Good Coaches surprise on the Positive Side - they don't make excuses, they overcome obstacles.

James Madison is (8-1) in CAA and was picked preseason 9th
Northeastern is (8-2) in CAA and was picked preseason 7th

There is a reason Rhodes and Schmidt have their names mentioned for the BC Job, and why David Cox name is not mentioned.

Mark Byington in his 1st year at JMU, came over from Georgia Southern. Making a name for himself this year
Bill Coen making it happen at Northeastern.

Good Coaches find a way.

Preseason CAA - Team (First-Place Votes) Points
1. Hofstra (16) 290
2. Delaware (11) 270
3. Drexel (7) 242
4. Towson (4) 230
5. Elon 215
6. Charleston 196
7. Northeastern 167
8. UNCW 110
9. James Madison 101
10. William & Mary 69
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our previously postponed game against George Washington at the Ryan Center will now be played Sunday at 11:30 in Washington DC on NBC Sports Network.

Have to imagine this game took priority for rescheduling over Davidson because we're fighting it out with GW to stay out of the Wednesday games
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice I am confident we beat GW they are that bad
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Nice I am confident we beat GW they are that bad
.....just heard this is Sunday......heard on CH 10....
Ram logo via Grist 1938