David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This team has more talent/weapons than Cox’s first two Rhody teams and will finish with a worse record. Why? Jeff Dowtin. He masked deficiencies in culture, leadership and identity.
Jeff deserved to be the first ever URI player to go to 4 tourneys. Cox taking him off the ball was the canary in the coal mine.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......we have great hoops minds here, right?.......not me, can someone describe what our offense is supposed to execute?......what are its principles?......anyone?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Ish, Mitchell, Walker, Fatts, Sheppard is a more talented 5, with great balance, than just about every team in the league. Run that lineup until fouls or effort/stamina force you to pivot.

I don’t trust that Cox is the guy to fix this.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This team has more talent/weapons than Cox’s first two Rhody teams and will finish with a worse record. Why? Jeff Dowtin. He masked deficiencies in culture, leadership and identity.
Jeff deserved to be the first ever URI player to go to 4 tourneys. Cox taking him off the ball was the canary in the coal mine.
It's become very evident that Cox sold his soul to Fatts in order for him to stay here instead of transferring. Cox must have told him he'll have the ball all the time, green light every game, and the biggest leash in America.

And that decision has sunken this program so fast.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hard disagree with the more talent. Don't know how you can even say that.

Last years team was clearly more talented.

Jeff, Cyril, Tyrese, Toppin > Sheppard, Makhel, Leggett, Martin, Betrand, Carey.

I don't think it's even close.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Jeff, Cyril, Tyrese, Toppin > Sheppard, Makhel, Leggett, Martin, Betrand, Carey.

Yeah I think you’re right. A healthy Makhi makes it a more interesting argument.

But it doesn’t matter either way. If you don’t have a coach who can put them in a position to be successful you could have the 96 bulls and find a way to lose.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's become very evident that Cox sold his soul to Fatts in order for him to stay here instead of transferring. Cox must have told him he'll have the ball all the time, green light every game, and the biggest leash in America.

It has to be this, right? Made it Fatt's team at the expense of Dowtin. If that's what happened, it was the worst mistake he could have possibly made, but it also explains a lot of what has happened since.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Walker played last night like a first team unanimous All American and was unstoppable. For some reason 4 other guys played more minutes than he did. Walker played only 24 minutes and it seems was always replaced by DJ who did virtually nothing last night.
As previously mentioned a team invariably takes on the personality of its coach. This is exactly what we are witnessing and it is beyond UGLY.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

How do you look at everything that’s awful and go, yep... Fatts is definitely THE problem and the cause of everything bad. Fatts wanted to go to UConn, was told no and encouraged by everyone to stay and make his mark on the program like he saw his former teammates do. Why are people acting like there was some deal with the devil made here? I’m not stupid, I know why the blame game is happening, but it’s not fair. Everyone is frustrated, I get that part.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago How do you look at everything that’s awful (rotations, player retention and development, general coaching) and go, yep... Fatts is definitely THE problem and the cause of everything bad. Fatts wanted to go to UConn, was told no and encouraged by everyone to stay and make his mark on the program like he saw his former teammates do. Why are people acting like there was some deal with the devil made here? I’m not stupid, I know why the blame game is happening, but it’s not fair. Everyone is frustrated, I get that part.
I don't think anyone is putting all the blame on Fatts. Yes he's been bad this year, but it's from Cox's doing and his injuries taking a toll.

People are blaming Cox for giving the keys to the car to Fatts, instead of letting your back to back A10 champion and back to back NCAA winning point guard control the team.

It's become pretty obvious Cox convinced Fatts to stay by letting him control things from Day 1. Because if he hadn't, Fatts would have been gone.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dowtin was our PG!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I disagree at least offensively. If used effectively Fatts and Sheppard should be very hard to guard, then add a legit big in Mitchell that is a true rim runner and rim protector and a very serviceable 4 in Walker and this team on paper to me is more dynamic than Year 1 and 2. You are talking about a frosh in Toppin who for all his upside still had major holes offensively and FR/SO Tyrese who was nowhere near the player he is this year on both sides of ball.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 3 years ago How do you look at everything that’s awful (rotations, player retention and development, general coaching) and go, yep... Fatts is definitely THE problem and the cause of everything bad. Fatts wanted to go to UConn, was told no and encouraged by everyone to stay and make his mark on the program like he saw his former teammates do. Why are people acting like there was some deal with the devil made here? I’m not stupid, I know why the blame game is happening, but it’s not fair. Everyone is frustrated, I get that part.
I don't think anyone is putting all the blame on Fatts. Yes he's been bad this year, but it's from Cox's doing and his injuries taking a toll.

People are blaming Cox for giving the keys to the car to Fatts, instead of letting your back to back A10 champion and back to back NCAA winning point guard control the team.

It's become pretty obvious Cox convinced Fatts to stay by letting him control things from Day 1. Because if he hadn't, Fatts would have been gone.
So the coaching staff has recruited, developed, and retained talent poorly overall; game planned and scouted miserably: and demonstrated incomprehensible player rotations because Fatts is in control of everything? It’s clear that Cox has no idea how to coach Fatts, but I don’t know why we jump to conspiracy theory instead of incompetence. But I get it, if it’s a Fatts problem, there’s at least hope that it’s better when he’s gone. The idea of being the main guy is getting very real for Cox right now. He’s going to face scrutiny and second-guessing and he has to make better decisions.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t think it’s conspiracy theory, or at least not for majority of posters here. I think what’s plausible is that DC in however words indicated that Fatts would be the alpha for 3 years and effectively under coached him to the detriment of Fatts and the team. A wise coach once told me good players want to be coached hard...DC went the other way.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

There are very few programs in the country who would not take Fatts Russell! He is a special unique talent. When healthy he is a top 5 player in our league. Cox and staff failed this young man. Many of you dislike his game and need to blame something but it should not be Fatts. He is a warrior and true competitor. Cox blew it with him- plain and simple. You had this one man press on defense and the maybe the fastest player in the country with the ball and this is the system you use. Yes Fatts has holes in his game and it certainly has been a roller coaster career but he is our warrior who has never backed down from a challenge. Ths staff has lost their team. During the coarse of a season players have ups and downs- the staffs job is to make sure that players are equipped to come out of the downs. When you have 5 or 6 players all having downs at the same time- you lost them.

DC and staff have a handful of games to try to make progress. i am not overly optimistic. We are not obviously in that locker room but the optics are not good. Truly hoping DC can dig in an turn it around but Fatts Russell was let down in my opinion. Which means nothing....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think it’s conspiracy theory, or at least not for majority of posters here. I think what’s plausible is that DC in however words indicated that Fatts would be the alpha for 3 years and effectively under coached him to the detriment of Fatts and the team. A wise coach once told me good players want to be coached hard...DC went the other way.
Of course he “re-recruited” Fatts with the idea that he would be one of the main guys here. And, Betrand was recruited as being the guy that would step into that role when Fatts graduated (yikes on that assessment so far). So now, almost three years in, we have to believe that the coach can’t adjust or change anything because he “promised” Fatts he would be “in charge” (not your language but others have said it)? For who, for what? Fatts wants to win more than all this nonsense. If a coach can’t build trust and confidence to get his team on board with a shared vision for success and make tough decisions, that’s rough. That’s a foundational and necessary leadership quality.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

100% agree Ace. This isn’t on Fatts it’s on DC. He’s the CEO and he’s the adult. I mentioned in an earlier thread the ability to manage the personnel and mold their roles is a foundational element of being a head coach (or a ceo).
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Walker played last night like a first team unanimous All American and was unstoppable. For some reason 4 other guys played more minutes than he did. Walker played only 24 minutes and it seems was always replaced by DJ who did virtually nothing last night.
As previously mentioned a team invariably takes on the personality of its coach. This is exactly what we are witnessing and it is beyond UGLY.
Only Cox could stop Walker last night ???
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Maybe Dan will take Cox and give us Kimani Young? LOL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I am trying to see what is coming next; a few thoughts; I think DC has permanently lost a segment of the fan base as result of the season unfolding the way it has coupled with the post game comments, for some he probably cannot recover from these.......now for his future here; games will play out, onto Tourney, dealing with Covid, transfers out/in, and come next season DC will be on the bench with unfortunately the same coaching MO while we languish in the midland of the A-10......disappointing.......kinda like we are looking at a competitive steep up hill climb because of coaching deficiencies......watershed moment for me......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

I disagree at least offensively. If used effectively Fatts and Sheppard should be very hard to guard, then add a legit big in Mitchell that is a true rim runner and rim protector and a very serviceable 4 in Walker and this team on paper to me is more dynamic than Year 1 and 2. You are talking about a frosh in Toppin who for all his upside still had major holes offensively and FR/SO Tyrese who was nowhere near the player he is this year on both sides of ball.
Tyrese was better last year than all of these new guys.

Toppin was better than Betrand, Carey, Martin, toss up with Ish.

Jeff was better than all of them.

Cyril better than everyone except probably Makhel (coin flip).

Bertrand, Carey, Martin have been absolute zeros this season.

And spare me the “oh so and so looked good for this play or that play and these few minutes.” Flashes don’t count. Continued success is all that matters, and they have none of it.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’m not talking about any of those guys. Starting 5 vs starting 5 and this season is his best 5 IMO.

Makhel / Walker > Harris / Cyril
Fatts / Shepp / Ish a push vs Jeff / Fatts / FR-So Tyrese
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I’m not talking about any of those guys. Starting 5 vs starting 5 and this season is his best 5 IMO.

Makhel / Walker > Harris / Cyril
Fatts / Shepp / Ish a push vs Jeff / Fatts / FR-So Tyrese
You said this team has more talent and weapons than Cox’s previous two teams, which includes last year, so you obviously are talking about those guys.

You’re changing the goal posts and now saying starting 5.

This years team does not have more talent than last years team.

Fatts/Sheppard/Ish is in no way a push with Jeff/healthy Fatts/sophomore Tyrese.

How can you even say that?

Jeff > Sheppard
Junior Fatts > Senior Fatts
Tyrese > Leggett
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago We had a 4 point lead with 14:25 to go. Over the next 13 minutes and 16 seconds, UMass went from being down 4 to up 15, a 19 point swing during the decisive portion of the game. Cox took one timeout during that whole time, and the only timeout he took actually just replaced the under 8 media timeout. There wasn't one point in those 13 minutes and 16 seconds when we went from up 4 to down 15 that David Cox felt he had anything extra to add to the proceedings.
Isn’t it a rule that we can only call a time out immediately after we hit a three?
No only if we have momentum. Team needs to be as passive and lethargic as the staff on the bench at all times. Cant have them playing with any confidence or momentum. That would be crazy.
Sorry guys, I was angry last night and forgot how timeouts work, you're both right.

It's remarkable the lack of feel he has for the game
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I believe you're right, and even with Fatts gone after this year I don't see how you come back from that. Doing that creates a culture of guys thinking they can do what they want. Players see how Cox coaches Fatts and feels they deserve the same and play that way. You can't just flip that switch back
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

kmillr wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Walker played last night like a first team unanimous All American and was unstoppable. For some reason 4 other guys played more minutes than he did. Walker played only 24 minutes and it seems was always replaced by DJ who did virtually nothing last night.
Only Cox could stop Walker last night ???
Yup, and he did so effectively. Cox was UMass' best asset last night
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......I am trying to see what is coming next; a few thoughts; I think DC has permanently lost a segment of the fan base as result of the season unfolding the way it has coupled with the post game comments, for some he probably cannot recover from these.......now for his future here; games will play out, onto Tourney, dealing with Covid, transfers out/in, and come next season DC will be on the bench with unfortunately the same coaching MO while we languish in the midland of the A-10......disappointing.......kinda like we are looking at a competitive steep up hill climb because of coaching deficiencies......watershed moment for me......
Cox can get me back by getting this program to dance. The end of last season and this season don't give me any reason to think he can do that though
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What we are seeing in year three for Cox is a severe disappointment. It is made even worse considering the program he inherited. He does not presently look to have things on solid footing headed in a good direction.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The discontent will only continue to intensify as time goes on.

Right now I don't see Cox surviving past next season.

The changes and improvements that need to be made, seem to be far beyond his ability to do.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago What we are seeing in year three for Cox is a severe disappointment. It is made even worse considering the program he inherited. He does not presently look to have things on solid footing headed in a good direction.
The 2014-15 (year 3) conference record was 13-5. We know they only made it to the NIT that year, but it seemed like things were progressing ok. This year they are sitting at 6-7, and I don’t see them winning out.

I think you can allow a lot for a first-time head coach if you feel comfortable that success is coming. My default for the last 2+ years has been that he’ll get there. If he does, it’s going to require a certain level of reflecting and being honest about both himself and the program. That’s true for any coach or leader at any level. His responses last night had me cringing, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just frustrated and not that he actually thinks everything is fine.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......if the season finishes winless and one and done in the Tourney.......I wouldn’t be shocked if Dave just walks way........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cox cannot get out of this quagmire by himself. Thorr needs to insist that THREE new assistants be hired and one will have many years of x and o experience. Last year Juwan Howard was hired as a first year head coach with obviously no experience as the top guy. To help him out Michigan hired our old friend Phil Martelli. This move seems to have worked and we need to try something similar if Cox is to return. Hate to say it but yours truly may not return under the current circumstances.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The discontent will only continue to intensify as time goes on.

Right now I don't see Cox surviving past next season.

The changes and improvements that need to be made, seem to be far beyond his ability to do.
It is disappointing that we see this team regressing at the tail end of the season, much like last year.

It shouldn't be rocket science to make the proper adjustments. I only hope that Cox is willing to be flexible enough to make those needed changes in order to turn things around.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You play to your strengths. It’s that simple. If you are hell bent in playing Carey then invert the offense, let him post up his man he is most likely more athletic than his cover. No decision get the ball turn and explode to the rim. You put DJ in then run something to get him a look. Get these guys confident if you want to use them regardless of game situation. If Twan’s guy is killing us or the opposing 3 man you throw Malik in there to blanket him for couple minutes, Coach Twan back up and put him back in there in couple minutes. What you don’t do is put any or all of those 3 guys in there and run business as usual; they all have holes that will be exposed. This is basketball 101 a bit.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

To be "Flexible enough"? He has not shown any in a long time.
Now we know what the paper says that he holds when pacing the sideline: "no matter what after 5-6 minutes of play in the first and second half take out Walker and insert DJ. NO MATTER WHAT IS HAPPENING
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

A lot has been mentioned about the scouting failures on the part of Cox and has staff — but it should also be noted just how easy it must be for opponents to scout his teams. The robotic rotations must make it simple for other teams to exploit certain matchups since they already know what’s coming — which maybe partly explains these late-season tailspins. By this point in the season, opponents have plenty of game tape to show them exactly how Cox is going to handle playing time, substitutions, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's a great point on how easy it must be to scout us
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's exactly what happened with Baron Teams. A10 Teams would play us, then they would make adjustments for the 2nd game against us. We would not adjust, the opponent would and we would have poor 2nd half of seasons, year after year after year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think it’s conspiracy theory, or at least not for majority of posters here. I think what’s plausible is that DC in however words indicated that Fatts would be the alpha for 3 years and effectively under coached him to the detriment of Fatts and the team. A wise coach once told me good players want to be coached hard...DC went the other way.
Dan and Fatts would have butted heads so many times over these last three years, like Kuran Iverson or Christian Vital level. They would have both loved it, and it would have been highly entertaining for the rest of us. His seniors this year are too nice and agreeable and quiet.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Cox cannot get out of this quagmire by himself. Thorr needs to insist that THREE new assistants be hired and one will have many years of x and o experience. Last year Juwan Howard was hired as a first year head coach with obviously no experience as the top guy. To help him out Michigan hired our old friend Phil Martelli. This move seems to have worked and we need to try something similar if Cox is to return. Hate to say it but yours truly may not return under the current circumstances.
Shoulda snagged Martelli when we had the chance...(kidding, but...)
Mobley was fouled.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Like Ace said, if Cox is willing and able to honestly assess himself, his staff and the players then not all is lost. Two coaches have missed the mark on Carey. It happens. But if Cox counts on him for next year, that's unforgivable. This is a guards game and Rhody needs better ones. Some players will be better next year. My guess is Bertrand will be one. But others have to be recruited over.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Cox cannot get out of this quagmire by himself. Thorr needs to insist that THREE new assistants be hired and one will have many years of x and o experience. Last year Juwan Howard was hired as a first year head coach with obviously no experience as the top guy. To help him out Michigan hired our old friend Phil Martelli. This move seems to have worked and we need to try something similar if Cox is to return. Hate to say it but yours truly may not return under the current circumstances.
......OK, if it comes down to a heavy handed insistence on new assistants, a principled individual might just say out of loyalty to my guys......bye bye.....I walk.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Like Ace said, if Cox is willing and able to honestly assess himself, his staff and the players then not all is lost. Two coaches have missed the mark on Carey. It happens. But if Cox counts on him for next year, that's unforgivable. This is a guards game and Rhody needs better ones. Some players will be better next year. My guess is Bertrand will be one. But others have to be recruited over.
Agree with you Iggy.

Please post more often :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Like Ace said, if Cox is willing and able to honestly assess himself, his staff and the players then not all is lost. Two coaches have missed the mark on Carey. It happens. But if Cox counts on him for next year, that's unforgivable. This is a guards game and Rhody needs better ones. Some players will be better next year. My guess is Bertrand will be one. But others have to be recruited over.
I am curious to see what Tres brings to the table next season. We are in desperate need of backcourt help going forward, I wouldn't of thought so going into this year. Need someone to rotate with Ish to handle the ball and a knockdown shooter. Hopefully with the last scholarship they can help fill one of those needs and maybe another if an additional roster spot opens up.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

What's the "Chance" Stephens reclassifies and graduates this year? (See what I did there? And my wife says I'm not funny)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago What's the "Chance" Stephens reclassifies and graduates this year? (See what I did there? And my wife says I'm not funny)
No "Chance" that is happening. :D
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......if the season finishes winless and one and done in the Tourney.......I wouldn’t be shocked if Dave just walks way........
zero chance he walks from this job...
zero
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......if the season finishes winless and one and done in the Tourney.......I wouldn’t be shocked if Dave just walks way........
zero
What a stupid stupid comment.

Absolutely zero chance he quits after a hard season. Imagine if every coach did that? He wouldn’t get another head job as long as he wants to coach.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
zero
What a stupid stupid comment.

Absolutely zero chance he quits after a hard season. Imagine if every coach did that? He wouldn’t get another head job as long as he wants to coach.
This board never ceases to amaze. I'm not sure anyone's ego is worth $700k a year guaranteed. But then again, Gary Andersen exists so who knows.

https://247sports.com/Article/Gary-Ande ... 159931112/

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
I am curious to see what Tres brings to the table next season. We are in desperate need of backcourt help going forward, I wouldn't of thought so going into this year. Need someone to rotate with Ish to handle the ball and a knockdown shooter. Hopefully with the last scholarship they can help fill one of those needs and maybe another if an additional roster spot opens up.
I am also curious on Tres. We think he will be a good shooter from the perimeter, but hopefully he is taking this year and developing other individual skills (particularly ball handling) so he can work with Ish to bring them ball up next year.