2/6 | UMass | 8:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2/6 | UMass | 8:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by UCH21377 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Every single poster on this board better hope Shep comes back next year. And I bet Cox is praying even harder than any of us

Nothing says “come play at URI” like benching one of the all time players in your schools history
There's a giant difference between benching Fatts as you put it and not playing him the second most minutes in the first half and third most for the game when he's clearly hurt. He was our worst player by +/- in both the first half and game
Whether it’s right or wrong I truthfully think Fatts is above Cox in the hierarchy. If he feels like he can play he does. Cox has said publicly he has the keys to the castle
That's the problem.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

As a pure basketball fan, the game last night was rather fun to watch from one perspective.

We saw a team that had a very well defined game plan based around the talent that was available.
That team was well prepared by the coach and played hard for 40 min while executing the plan and was rewarded for doing so with a win.
I genuinely dislike UMass, but I respect what they did last night. It looks like UMass has turned the corner.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hell yeah rooting for this program stinks again.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I watched St. John's take apart PVD yesterday, another team on the rise, similar to UMass. Players playing with desire and emotion, and fired up coaching staff. How quickly the tide turns...
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I thought Shepp had a very bad game against UMASS. This is not a generalization on his play lately, just this game.

BAR is spot on about players not knowing their roles. Players don't know what is expected of them, what to practice and what to do and not do in games.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I do think the type/line of questioning from Morey last night was long overdue. The media has let fans down a good bit in letting coach skate by when things go awry. We got our first look into Cox’s brain last night and it did not look good. That being said while Morey was finally digging I think the question was a little too specific - in the sense Walkers minutes were not the reason we lost this game

It’s on Cox to explain this more eloquently (or fans have a right to be upset) but Walker playing another 5-10 minutes and trading more 2s for 3s still gets you the same result.
I disagree with your take that Walker playing 5-10 minutes more wouldn’t change the outcome. It’s not a simple formula that if Walker plays 5 more minutes and hits 5 more shots we still lose by 2. If he plays another 5 minutes in the first half and gives us another 4 points, we probably have the lead at half. Then when we go up by 4 in the 2nd half, maybe it’s a 7 or 8 point lead with momentum on our side (although Cox would stop it with a TO!). Plus having a guy down low playing as well as Walker was, should open up easy shots for others as UMASS would likely start collapsing on him.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago I know someone (Rhowdy?) used to track which assistant had the scout for particular games. Not sure how readily available that info is but would definitely be interested to know who had it tonight. Especially considering the comment that they prepped for Tre.
I tried to keep track of it, normally it's just the guy that does the pregame interview on the radio broadcast. Even during the best of times, due to different reasons, I had trouble keeping a consistent game by game log, and I haven't been motivated for obvious reasons this year. It's unfortunate, because like you said, I would definitely be interested to know that information now. I'm going to try and make a point of doing that the rest of the year assuming this year is handled the same way with the radio interview even with Covid
Agree, and thanks for the work for those of us (hi) too lazy to find out. Sometimes it's just throw-away info. But instances like tonight and a few others this year it's intriguing. Especially with doubts circling around assistant coaches and overall coaching in general.
Watched very little of the game (prob a good thing) but I’m also curious who had the scout. Along with the coach who has the pre game interview, it’s usually the coach who sits next to Cox each game. Anyone notice?
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Our coach lacks confidence. Our team follows that lead.
We have no identity and so roles are unclear. Throw 9-10 guys with varying levels of talent together without role definition and you get what we have. I’m not a blame the coach for everything guy, but the above is all the foundation of being an effective Cbb coach. At this point we have played more games and logged more practices than 75-80% of the programs out there yet have nothing tangible to show for it beyond the development of Makhel and a little from Ish (would be even further along with more PT which he deserves).

It’s not more complicated than this...

Starters: Mitchell, Walker, Shepp, Ish, Fatts

Bench:
DJ - if we get zoned give him PT...if Twan picks up 2 quick fouls or even if Makhel does and slide Twan to the small ball 5 spot. In our league you can get away with that in emergency situations. His job is to hit 3s on catch and shoot and play D (rebound, block shots). That’s it. Don’t put the ball on the floor. Don’t try to do too much offensively. Look for space and shoot it when open.

Harris - break glass in case of emergency. If Makhel gets early fouls and opponent is big at the 5. For 1-2 minutes here or there to spell Makhel or Twan. No extended time. Set picks, rebound and when he establishes good position on the block go to him.

Malik - for defensive matchups only, cannot pair him Betrand or Carey bc you are playing 3 on 5 offensively when you do. Rebound, cover their best wing/SF, be a garbage man on offense but nothing run to him and he should never dribble more than once.

Betrand and Carey - unplayable at this point. No confidence, don’t have 1 discernible skill that is helping you to win games right now. TO prone, not especially effective on D, hurt spacing bc not outside threats in the guard spot.

Net net all of our bench is “situational” at best, with clearly defined roles and guardrails of what you would accept and what you won’t. None of them have earned, or deserve consistent extended minutes. Betrand starting is loco. Walker coming out 4 minutes in for Malik is egregious. Game to game it differs and if they earn time in practice and perform in games you can start to give them more run. Until then it’s a 6 man rotation with 4 guys getting spot minutes (none of them more than 10).

Last night those 4 guys (Martin, Harris, Betrand, Carey) played 44 minutes. Shouldn’t be more than 30-32 minutes a night. Those extra 10-12 minutes can be given right to Walker and Ish and I will bet my life our chances of winning increase.

This may be the most accurate breakdown of what should be happening with this team, that I’ve seen on this board. But, this should have been the move 10-12 games ago. It’s too late for this or anything at this point. Season is over.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If you really like pain (you’re still a URI fan so I assume you do), go back and read the PC game thread from Cox’s first year. Page 17 of all threads.

It is chillingly similar to this game thread today.

Robotic substitution patterns, zero game awareness, nonsensical timeouts, letting Fatts dictate his shots and playing time, lethargic/uninspiring/unemotional coach, zero discipline.

If that doesn’t tell you all you need to know about the “progress” we’ve made in 3 years..
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago

I tried to keep track of it, normally it's just the guy that does the pregame interview on the radio broadcast. Even during the best of times, due to different reasons, I had trouble keeping a consistent game by game log, and I haven't been motivated for obvious reasons this year. It's unfortunate, because like you said, I would definitely be interested to know that information now. I'm going to try and make a point of doing that the rest of the year assuming this year is handled the same way with the radio interview even with Covid
Agree, and thanks for the work for those of us (hi) too lazy to find out. Sometimes it's just throw-away info. But instances like tonight and a few others this year it's intriguing. Especially with doubts circling around assistant coaches and overall coaching in general.
Watched very little of the game (prob a good thing) but I’m also curious who had the scout. Along with the coach who has the pre game interview, it’s usually the coach who sits next to Cox each game. Anyone notice?
There aren't pregame interviews on the radio.
Steve and Don are broadcasting remotely.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago

There aren't pregame interviews on the radio.
Steve and Don are broadcasting remotely.
I understand that- my question was if anyone noticed who sat in the chair next to Cox- that’s usually the scout.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
BODIED
Wow he deleted the tweet. Guess Cox gave him the “dont question me or you won’t get the scoop talk.

Nothing to see here, all is well.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^wow, wtf
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent questions from Morey.
However, it's not the norm for RI Sports Reporters to ask probing, challenging questions like this. The norm is more softball type questions and softball comments.
My guess is that David Cox was surprised by this type of question. He was caught off guard and was nervous in his response and struggled for an answer. Cox came across unprepared, defensive and somewhat angry.
But questions like these are what the sports public desires. Good job.

Morey Hershgordon
@MHershgordon
13h
My exchange with David Cox postgame re: Antwan Walker's playing time in midst of having a career night plus the fact that he was the only legit threat for URI and the best big man with Tre Mitchell out.

He seemed OK that his best player sat tonight sat for 38% of the game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BODIED
Wow he deleted the tweet. Guess Cox gave him the “dont question me or you won’t get the scoop talk.

He may have rethought his initial reactions and decided he wanted to express himself better, even if he was correct. Or, it could have gone your way, idk. Or, he was haunted by not writing “regurgitating.”

The deleted tweet in question: “The more I listen to this, the more arrogant Cox seems. He lost the game by 12 points to a rebuilding program and wholeheartedly believes he did all he could to put his team in the best position to win. Maybe take responsibility next time instead of regurgitate a stat line.”
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He keeps saying twan had his best game ever and rattling off his stats like it justifies how he used him. Completely arrogant and really lacking self awareness.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago That may have been the last game for UMass for some time.

Quite suspicious that they announced this decision on Sunday morning...were they waiting until after the game?
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

BODIED

What was this tweet?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

BODIED

He may have rethought his initial reactions and decided he wanted to express himself better, even if he was correct. Or, it could have gone your way, idk. Or, he was haunted by not writing “regurgitating.”

The deleted tweet in question: “The more I listen to this, the more arrogant Cox seems. He lost the game by 12 points to a rebuilding program and wholeheartedly believes he did all he could to put his team in the best position to win. Maybe take responsibility next time instead of regurgitate a stat line.”
💪💯
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

BODIED

Who tweeted it, Morey?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yup, that was Morey. Good for him.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago That may have been the last game for UMass for some time.

Quite suspicious that they announced this decision on Sunday morning...were they waiting until after the game?
Not sure I would read too much into the timing. Any time they announced it would have been after some game. It's all sports, not just basketball.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just finally had a chance to watch the post game interview clip. Its even worse than I thought. Brutal.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Boy, Morey's Twitter was 🔥 last night. Here's one of his best:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox really has a handle on these guys huh?

So different from Dan.

Please, go to UConn.

Cox is a good assistant coach.

Now we know why he never got a HC gig before us.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago Anyone else lose a bit of respect for Cox after seeing this video? Like is this not worrying for any of you? That he is ok playing Antwan 9 minutes in the first half despite him being the best player on the court, but he will keep no shows like Betrand and Martin there??!?! fucking insane.
Honestly, this one minute is a fireable offense in professional sports or at a top college program. It shows a complete and total inability to assess in game situations and an inability to adjust his thinking on the fly. That it comes after a 12 point loss to UMass missing their best player is the cherry on the top of the sundae. This is his Dan Duquette after 2001 saying we spent more days in first place moment
I’m inclined to agree on the fireable offense part.

A) how do you not know how much one of your starters plays in a game? It’s FEBRUARY.

B) WHY DOES IT MATTER!?

Is that an admission that we don’t do adjustments during the game? That we just have a set plan in practice (that somehow doesn’t get changed when the #1 player is out, since the coach also admitted that).

He’s in over his head and it’s only getting worse.

If we lose out, and it honestly seems possible, I almost think you HAVE to move on despite all the context around needing a to give Cox 4 years in the landscape of college basketball.
I assumed I'd have calmed down by now, but I haven't, and this interview clip and your second point are why. Cox acts like he handled things the right way because Walker had career highs ignoring that those numbers could have been even higher had he played the appropriate amount of minutes. He knew our scout was worthless because it was predicated on Tre Mitchell playing, he saw Walker was unstoppable, and instead of taking those two things into consideration and adjusting he kept to his pregame plan. All he had to do was take two of the most obvious things happening into consideration and he couldn't even juggle that!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Honestly, this one minute is a fireable offense in professional sports or at a top college program. It shows a complete and total inability to assess in game situations and an inability to adjust his thinking on the fly. That it comes after a 12 point loss to UMass missing their best player is the cherry on the top of the sundae. This is his Dan Duquette after 2001 saying we spent more days in first place moment
I’m inclined to agree on the fireable offense part.

A) how do you not know how much one of your starters plays in a game? It’s FEBRUARY.

B) WHY DOES IT MATTER!?

Is that an admission that we don’t do adjustments during the game? That we just have a set plan in practice (that somehow doesn’t get changed when the #1 player is out, since the coach also admitted that).

He’s in over his head and it’s only getting worse.

If we lose out, and it honestly seems possible, I almost think you HAVE to move on despite all the context around needing a to give Cox 4 years in the landscape of college basketball.
I assumed I'd have calmed down by now, but I haven't, and this interview clip and your second point are why. Cox acts like he handled things the right way because Walker had career highs ignoring that those numbers could have been even higher had he played the appropriate amount of minutes. He knew our scout was worthless because it was predicated on Tre Mitchell playing, he saw Walker was unstoppable, and instead of taking those two things into consideration and adjusting he kept to his pregame plan. All he had to do was take two of the most obvious things happening into consideration and he couldn't even juggle that!
AND when he was questioned on his "strategy" he got defensive and grumpy. Just doesn't get it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Okay, did we really GO INTO the game with a gameplan structured around Tre Mitchell?

Like is that a fact?

I just cant believe that.

We knew at least two days ago he would be out right?

He appears to pre-determine his line ups before the game.

I cant fathom how that is possible. It most certainly appears that way and it truly blows my mind. I dont know how someone who does basketball for a living can make mistakes like that. You'd think someone like Cox would be a basketball genius compared to anyone on this board, but it really feels like the twilight zone when faced with the reality of how dumb the coaching seems to be.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay, did we really GO INTO the game with a gameplan structured around Tre Mitchell?

Like is that a fact?

I cant fathom how that is possible. It most certainly appears that way and it truly blows my mind. I dont know how someone who does basketball for a living can make mistakes like that. You'd think someone like Cox would be a basketball genius compared to anyone on this board, but it really feels like the twilight zone when faced with the reality of how dumb the coaching seems to be.
E45B1C1E-7323-454C-A4BB-AE63CCB4427C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay, did we really GO INTO the game with a gameplan structured around Tre Mitchell?

Like is that a fact?

He didn't play Wednesday against Fordham, was listed as day to day after Fordham, McCall said Friday afternoon Mitchell was likely out, and it was announced yesterday morning he was definitely out. Yes, a lot of the scout was already done by that point, but any effective scout had to have what to do if Mitchell is out as a massive component. And if that's not done Cox needs to be able to adjust on the fly. The coaches didn't give our players a chance to win last night
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago This didn't age well ...
https://instagram.com/stories/rhodymbb/ ... 47bzgcy2if
What was it? It says story unavailable for me
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago
Just as well. Some nonsense about how motivated the team is to beat UMass yadda yadda yadda
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Just as well. Some nonsense about how motivated the team is to beat UMass yadda yadda yadda
This team is many things this year.

"motivated" is not one of those things.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago

This team is many things this year.

"motivated" is not one of those things.
Come on man. They're motivated ...

To drive us f##king crazy.