David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
DigB wrote: 3 years ago Cox is one of our best recruiters but that will likely get harder as his non-playoff resume extends.

If Cox can't learn how to push his player's buttons, he will never succeed. He unfortunately lacks a leader on the court holding the team accountable.

He is also just average as a bench coach.

Nice guys unfortunately don't finish first.
I have heard a well connected person say they think David Cox is too nice to be successful as a head coach here. I hate that attitude, but I'm wondering if there's something to it...
I've heard players say he gets into the players a lot in practice.

Might be true, but to me it mostly seems like our main issue is the offense we run. Without that true PG the players roles are less defined which creates some nice moments, but too much inconsistency and then they dont play hard enough defensively to make up for it.

Fatts being hurt all year and playing like a shell of himself also hurting a ton. I mean, if he just wasn't banged up it could be a whole different story.
Nah, it's spreading minutes to 10 players equally. That doesn't work.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If URI does not extend Cox's contract now, recruiting will suffer, the program will go downhill and URI will be looking for a new head coach who will work for ~$700K per year.
We get it. I struggle to understand why you keep saying this. He will get extended because you have to - that's how college basketball works.

Also, Cox was a FIRST TIME head coach. Jordan at Butler also makes $700k. Cox is compensated for his experience relative to the position. For someone who keeps lauding their "expertise" in hiring and talent identification, you have a wild perspective. You always bring in new hires at a CEO rate?

Mark Schmidt makes $800k at St Bonnies. Bob McKillop makes somewhere between $400k-$600k.

Cox will get 2 years and they might increase his salary to make a more palatable buyout for the last 2 seasons.

But your reasoning is incredibly flawed. He'll get the extension because we have to, not because he's done anything to warrant progress in his 3 years here (end of season tourney run not withstanding).

Everything Dan Hurley built here is gone. We hired Cox initially to carry the torch. We are now trending dangerously close to "rebuild" territory.
He shouldn't be extended if the buyout increases by so much as a penny. As you've said, he's done nothing to warrant extra years or money at this point in his tenure. We can't throw good money after bad and if Cox ends up not being the right guy that's money you're taking away from the next hire, from the practice facility, or other programs at URI. Money is a very finite resource here, we can't waste anything
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the only thing I wanna ask Tom Ryan and his peps is.......where is my freakin’ shot!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

Look at it this way. Cox would not get a better offer with his current performance? Lets say he wins out or looses just one, would his stock rise?

He is locked up through April 2023. That is 2 full seasons.

I think there is little risk in riding out the season and dealing with this in the off-season. If his stock stays the same or lowers, he may wait until mid-season next year for talk of extension.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know this is about our overall underwhelming feeling as DC as a coach, but with our game tonight against UMass let's compare him and McCall. Who do you feel is doing a better job on their current role?

I just did a little research on McCall and didn't realize he took over Chattanooga after Will Wade. So while he had success there in the short time he was there, was it on the back of Will Wade's previous success? He has Umass competing but still mid pack A10 right now. Who has a hotter seat at the end of this year?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URI has higher expectations, so probably Cox.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I know this is about our overall underwhelming feeling as DC as a coach, but with our game tonight against UMass let's compare him and McCall. Who do you feel is doing a better job on their current role?

I just did a little research on McCall and didn't realize he took over Chattanooga after Will Wade. So while he had success there in the short time he was there, was it on the back of Will Wade's previous success? He has Umass competing but still mid pack A10 right now. Who has a hotter seat at the end of this year?
I would say McCall's seat is much hotter than Cox's (not sure it is even lukewarm). Next year will be his 5th and has a 43-61 record, plus he had 2 years of previous head coaching experience. I think they are losing patience with him, but the amount of very talented youth that he has on his roster may end up saving his job.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I know this is about our overall underwhelming feeling as DC as a coach, but with our game tonight against UMass let's compare him and McCall. Who do you feel is doing a better job on their current role?

I would say McCall's seat is much hotter than Cox's (not sure it is even lukewarm). Next year will be his 5th and has a 43-61 record, plus he had 2 years of previous head coaching experience. I think they are losing patience with him, but the amount of very talented youth that he has on his roster may end up saving his job.
To me, McCall is probably done once he has a 10 win or less season, or, when he plateaus with the young guys. That kind of marked "the end" for Baron as well - he couldn't get over the hump with the Cothran-Seawright-Jimmy Jr. teams, and after that, he took fliers on guys who might have been more talented but greater risks. I've always been dubious on McCall's ability to turn the talent into a team, though. UMass has also only played 10 games so far this year, and their best win is us, so I'm not really even sure they'll finish above .500. (They have four wins against Fordham and La Salle right now, and finish the year with Dayton, the Bonnies and Richmond.)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

To me, McCall is probably done once he has a 10 win or less season, or, when he plateaus with the young guys. That kind of marked "the end" for Baron as well - he couldn't get over the hump with the Cothran-Seawright-Jimmy Jr. teams, and after that, he took fliers on guys who might have been more talented but greater risks. I've always been dubious on McCall's ability to turn the talent into a team, though. UMass has also only played 10 games so far this year, and their best win is us, so I'm not really even sure they'll finish above .500. (They have four wins against Fordham and La Salle right now, and finish the year with Dayton, the Bonnies and Richmond.)
Its mostly because their identity is just run down the floor and jack up threes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Its mostly because their identity is just run down the floor and jack up threes.
UMASS
  • McCall was left in bad shape from Kellogg
  • Recruited the best current player in the A10 in Tre Mitchell
  • 8 A10 wins last year
  • 5-2 record this Covid impacted year
Kellogg
2015-16 (6-12) 6 under
2016-17 (4-14) 10 under
McCall
2017-18 (5-13) 8 under
2018-19 (4-14) 10 under
2019-20 (8-10) 2 under
2020-21 (6-2) 4 over

URI
  • Cox was left in much better shape than McCall was by Kellogg
  • Poor finish in 2019-20 losing 4 of last 7 games with 1 point wins at Fordham and at UMASS
  • Cox lost starters for 2020-21 season in Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin
  • Big drop off to 9-9 in Cox first year from Hurley's 15-3 season
Hurley
2015-16 (9-9) even
2016-17 (13-5) 8 over
2017-18 (15-3) 12 over
Cox
2018-19 (9-9) even
2019-20 (13-5) 8 over
2020-21 (6-7) 1 under

Consistent improvement by McCall over 4 years. Now (6-2) in A10. Handily beat URI tonight with the Leading Scorer and Best Player in the A10, Tre Mitchell, out with injury. URI was favored by 10 points.

I'd put McCall easily above Cox at this point in time. In what have you done for me lately McCall is (6-2) and Cox is (6-7) in A10 play
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

MATT McCALL easy
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We ended this game with 2 timeouts.

Dave either gave up or is over his head.

Would support a Jerry D 2.0 thread.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago We ended this game with 2 timeouts.

Dave either gave up or is over his head.

Why does it have to be one o the other?
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It's been a while since my last post.
URI looks like a sloppy AAU team. Ball watching & slow to react on defense to players without the ball or who've just received the ball or overreacting on every move by an opposing guard with the ball. No offense. There is absolutely NO offensive chemistry or intelligent decision making that I can see.
I think URI needs to loose 2 more games in addition to the UMass loss. Probably the only way at this point that Cox and/or the players themselves start to make some significant changes to how they do things.
Sadly, they probably have to hit rock bottom before there is any improvement at all. This is some of the worst basketball I've seen URI play in many years.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

This is pathetic. Cox needs to go after this year. Another year for him is another year in the wrong direction that we'll have to dig ourselves out of later. I'm certainly not donating another dime while we're heading in this direction.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cox will be here next year unfortunately. We will have the great assistant coaching staff back also. I know we don’t pay assistants a good salary and it is evened out by them giving us absolutely nothing. Unfortunately we have a bunch of nice guys like Cox and Sutton who just aren’t good for winning programs.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think we all know he’s here at least one more year and will get extended for 2 more years because we have to, and then bought out next year if things don’t turn around.

However - in the event that we lose out...what are the chances we make a move?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago Cox will be here next year unfortunately. We will have the great assistant coaching staff back also. I know we don’t pay assistants a good salary and it is evened out by them giving us absolutely nothing. Unfortunately we have a bunch of nice guys like Cox and Sutton who just aren’t good for winning programs.
Disagree. Cox is a top level assist/associate head coach. Would’ve been an immense success in a Jeff Capel situation here under Dan.

He’s just not a first chair guys. For all his benefits in recruiting and being the yin to a Hurley yang - he doesn’t have the “it” factor or the sense for in game coaching.

He doesn’t panic, he just looks lost. He lets certain players steamroll him and everyone pretty much just runs around the floor with a Jerry D sense of do whatever you want.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Normally, coaches lose with bad players then develop their team over a handful of seasons.

Cox had a team, but is still losing. Process of elimination, results in ...bad coaching.
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
RamStock wrote: 3 years ago Cox will be here next year unfortunately. We will have the great assistant coaching staff back also. I know we don’t pay assistants a good salary and it is evened out by them giving us absolutely nothing. Unfortunately we have a bunch of nice guys like Cox and Sutton who just aren’t good for winning programs.
Disagree. Cox is a top level assist/associate head coach. Would’ve been an immense success in a Jeff Capel situation here under Dan.

He’s just not a first chair guys. For all his benefits in recruiting and being the yin to a Hurley yang - he doesn’t have the “it” factor or the sense for in game coaching.

He doesn’t panic, he just looks lost. He lets certain players steamroll him and everyone pretty much just runs around the floor with a Jerry D sense of do whatever you want.
I didn't say that Cox was a bad assistant head coach. I think he did a good job in that role when he can stick to recruiting, developing relationships and keeping watch over the players. He has gone in the complete opposite direction this year and has a supporting group that brings nothing to the table. I would say other than the Twins, Ish and Walker is there anyone else that we are looking forward to having back next year between the players and coaching staff? We have no impact players coming in next year that will help to make us better unless we get lucky on the transfer route. This year no one will be upset when some of these guys transfer from URI
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I think we all know he’s here at least one more year and will get extended for 2 more years because we have to, and then bought out next year if things don’t turn around.

URI has always been more on the side of "give em another year" with coaches, even under Thorr's watch, if football and other programs are an indication. So, I think it would take something truly catastrophic for Cox to not last through the 2021-22 season, like going 0-for the rest of this season in embarrassing fashion, or program-damaging issues.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He will be here next year.....however I am NOT in favor of extending him one minute.

I could care less about extending due to recruiting. What good would it do, with what we're seeing now?

This team has SOME good players.....and some that stink. The sample size is big enough to know by now.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I think we all know he’s here at least one more year and will get extended for 2 more years because we have to, and then bought out next year if things don’t turn around.

I don’t see why we would ever extend him?? What are we afraid of? We already suck and would it be any different one way or the other. I’m not sure the Twins and Ish are going to leave because of Cox not having security. Might as well just keep going the transfer route and hope to hit. We hit on the Twins and missed on everyone else in terms of transfers
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I know it's tradition to extend coaches in Cox' contract position and I know why it's done, but I just don't see how we can do it. There's no valid basis for doing anything that increases Cox' buyout at this time. Yeah our recruiting may take a hit, but our recruiting may take a hit by having a coach who is in over his head. It may take a hit keeping a coach who has lost as many players as Cox has over his time here. Increasing his buyout after this season would be disastrous for the future of this program
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know it's tradition to extend coaches in Cox' contract position and I know why it's done, but I just don't see how we can do it. There's no valid basis for doing anything that increases Cox' buyout at this time. Yeah our recruiting may take a hit, but our recruiting may take a hit by having a coach who is in over his head. It may take a hit keeping a coach who has lost as many players as Cox has over his time here. Increasing his buyout after this season would be disastrous for the future of this program
Bingo Bango Bongo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How the hell do you extend a coach who sucks? To continue the agony?

Even Baron got extended a year because he at least made the semis of the NIT the year before.

But then he also got an ultimatum.

What has Cox done? El Zippo. And getting worse by the game.

We're used to having our other major program [football] suck.

Now our biggest revenue producer sucking too?

Thorr, bite the bullet and start over.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Blows my mind that a person can see how a winning successful coach does things & even has the luxury of the internet where one can see all kinds of ways in which various coaches are successful, but yet still struggles to put together a decent competitive team.
He seems like a good guy, who cares about his players & can recruit, but man he needs to start seeing the forest for the trees when comes to creating a disciplined, competitive team real quick.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Dave either gave up or is over his head
We had a 4 point lead with 14:25 to go. Over the next 13 minutes and 16 seconds, UMass went from being down 4 to up 15, a 19 point swing during the decisive portion of the game. Cox took one timeout during that whole time, and the only timeout he took actually just replaced the under 8 media timeout. There wasn't one point in those 13 minutes and 16 seconds when we went from up 4 to down 15 that David Cox felt he had anything extra to add to the proceedings.

We spent our scout preparing for a player who didn't play, we had one of our players have a career game and his minutes weren't adjusted up to reflect his effectiveness, and David Cox didn't take one extra timeout during a 19 point swing during the second half. David Cox was asleep at the wheel tonight. David Cox is in over his head and he's getting worse, not better
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI has always been more on the side of "give em another year" with coaches, even under Thorr's watch, if football and other programs are an indication. So, I think it would take something truly catastrophic for Cox to not last through the 2021-22 season, like going 0-for the rest of this season in embarrassing fashion, or program-damaging issues.
Point taken, but if you look at the way last season ended losing 4 or our last 7 and then (9-11) this season, we are clearly going in the wrong direction. The remaining games and A10 Tournament will be telling. I can see a Coaching change especially with a new President at URI.

Time to watch more of the Women's Basketball team, URI Football, URI Baseball and URI Softball.

Imagine how attendance would be with the remaining home games if attendance were allowed.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unfortunately Cox is not the guy to lead URI going forward . He will coach URI next year but I don’t think he is long for the job
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

It’s almost like he wants to prove he sucks as a head coach. I have no idea what in gods name he is thinking. They’ve dropped 3 straight and his post game is like, “eh yeah not our night”.

Where is this program going?

Wait until Ish transfers. Just wait... because if you think that kind of young talent is going to stick around this dumpster fire of a program you are sadly mistaken. Especially because I’m sure COVID will factor in allowing players even easier waivers to not have to sit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why extend a coach because of recruits or continuity?

Why would we want what is happening now to continue?

Does Thorr blame everything this year on the pandemic?

Does Thorr give DC a do-over next season?

The financial situation at URI, never good even in "normal" times, imo will keep Cox here another year.

And that sucks even worse than the state of the program right now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I was always one who was saying, give Cox another year to figure things out.

Not any more.

He's proven he's in over his head, and waiting another year will only delay the necessity to start over and wait longer to be good again.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

At least we don't have to witness this performance at the RC.

What bothers me the most is that this team is playing its worst basketball at the back end of the season, much like last year. They are regressing, which is the opposite of what I would of expected this year given this roster.

Our frontcourt going forward into next season will definitely be our strength, who would of ever of thought that in the past.

The backcourt and wing looks to be a problem. Ish our true freshman will be the anchor and seems to have the most upside, but who will be his running mates? Our highly heralded transfers are a bust up to this point with sloppy and careless play. We have no consistent outside threats and the zone defense will continue to give us problems.

I was highly optimistic about our chances next season, but now not so much. I look at teams like St. Bonaventure, UMass, VCU with their talented group of young players along with a more seasoned and experienced staff. Also Dayton even though their star power are seniors, they have the #1 rated recruiting class in the conference. From what I have seen so far, we may end up a middle of the pack team in 21-22.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......middle of the pack, next year, might be an improvement.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It is hard to believe that the team continues to get worse...not just the same, or slightly better...just progressively worse, game by game. Kinda looked like no one cared for the last 12 minutes or so.

Would losing out be enough to shake loose the coach? Losing out probably won't help recruiting, or keep players, but maybe the re-boot would be worth it? If asked nicely, I bet Slick might be interested...
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If you go back to the PC game in 2018 (page 16 for all posts) I think a lot of us knew then that Cox wasn’t the guy.

If you read that thread a lot of people are saying the exact same stuff that we are right now.

Robotic substitution patterns. Zero awareness. Taking Jeff off the ball. Clueless, passive nature.

He really hasn’t grown or developed in 3 years.

His staff hasn’t changed. He hasn’t changed.

God I hope we start over soon because I don’t know how many more Hurley’s are out there to dig us out of the depths. At least if the Mitchell’s and Ish stay with a new coach we might have a chance to be back in 2 years.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yza.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

We need to move on, the sooner the better. Things are trending down fast and giving this another year is only going to make it worse. URI needs to move on to prevent another Hurley level rebuild which included rebuilding the fan base.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago If you go back to the PC game in 2018 (page 16 for all posts) I think a lot of us knew then that Cox wasn’t the guy.

If you read that thread a lot of people are saying the exact same stuff that we are right now.

Robotic substitution patterns. Zero awareness. Taking Jeff off the ball. Clueless, passive nature.

God I hope we start over soon because I don’t know how many more Hurley’s are out there to dig us out of the depths. At least if the Mitchell’s and Ish stay with a new coach we might have a chance to be back in 2 years.
That's also the first time DC Rams said he would never post on this forum again after people started calling out Cox for his poor coaching.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago If you go back to the PC game in 2018 (page 16 for all posts) I think a lot of us knew then that Cox wasn’t the guy.

BM, no way the twins, Walker, or Ish stays for a new coach, the only reason they are here is because of Cox. The families and friends of those players have a very close relationship with him.

You have to figure it will take another staff if successful about 5-6 years to get us back to the NCAAT or in that discussion.

I could very easily see us losing the next 4 games plus one and done in the A10T. Regardless highly doubtful there will be any head coaching changes after this Covid season.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

The excuse is there to keep Cox. It's frustrating but covid is all encompassing when it comes to excuse making. There's no revenue coming in. There's no fans to rally the troops. Nothing about this season is normal. I would be shocked if he's not back next year, but when the ryan center is half empty next year, Harris is still playing like an incoming freshman (if he even stays), Carey continues to lead the NCAA in turnover to assist ratio, Betrand and Martin continue to look lost in the a10 setting, Cox is still standing on sidelines with that awesome deer in the headlights blank stare and heaven forbid Ish transfers then maybe something happens. Our lot in life as URI fans appears to be hope for that next young up and comer to give us a couple of exciting years and move on to the next rebuild. At 62 years old, I don't have many of those cycles left. Here's hoping the next one starts sooner rather than later🍺🍺🍺🍺🏀🏀🏀
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The comment after the Harvard game in Year 1 where he admitted Fatts didn’t follow the play and called his own number was a red flag. This comment about messing up the scout is a house burning.

Teams take the identity of their coach. Our teams identity: undisciplined and unsure and that comes from the top. DC needs a major rethinking of his philosophy and running of this program bc for a guy who played the game and has been around it for 3 decades he shows really poor feel for his players and game flow.

The way he has used Twan and Ish this year is borderline criminal.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We had a 4 point lead with 14:25 to go. Over the next 13 minutes and 16 seconds, UMass went from being down 4 to up 15, a 19 point swing during the decisive portion of the game. Cox took one timeout during that whole time, and the only timeout he took actually just replaced the under 8 media timeout. There wasn't one point in those 13 minutes and 16 seconds when we went from up 4 to down 15 that David Cox felt he had anything extra to add to the proceedings.

We spent our scout preparing for a player who didn't play, we had one of our players have a career game and his minutes weren't adjusted up to reflect his effectiveness, and David Cox didn't take one extra timeout during a 19 point swing during the second half. David Cox was asleep at the wheel tonight. David Cox is in over his head and he's getting worse, not better
and at around the 14:25 mark with all the momentum, he went to the DJ, Haarris substitution ugh
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would love to know our +\- over the season for minutes where at least 2 of the 4 (Martin, Harris, Carey, Betrand) are in the game. It’s gotta be atrocious. At this point you can never play more than 1 of them at a time. It’s clear as day.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would love to know our +/- in the last 10 minutes of every game this year. Could we be -100? 200?
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago We had a 4 point lead with 14:25 to go. Over the next 13 minutes and 16 seconds, UMass went from being down 4 to up 15, a 19 point swing during the decisive portion of the game. Cox took one timeout during that whole time, and the only timeout he took actually just replaced the under 8 media timeout. There wasn't one point in those 13 minutes and 16 seconds when we went from up 4 to down 15 that David Cox felt he had anything extra to add to the proceedings.
Isn’t it a rule that we can only call a time out immediately after we hit a three?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago We had a 4 point lead with 14:25 to go. Over the next 13 minutes and 16 seconds, UMass went from being down 4 to up 15, a 19 point swing during the decisive portion of the game. Cox took one timeout during that whole time, and the only timeout he took actually just replaced the under 8 media timeout. There wasn't one point in those 13 minutes and 16 seconds when we went from up 4 to down 15 that David Cox felt he had anything extra to add to the proceedings.
Isn’t it a rule that we can only call a time out immediately after we hit a three?
No only if we have momentum. Team needs to be as passive and lethargic as the staff on the bench at all times. Cant have them playing with any confidence or momentum. That would be crazy.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The lineup of Mitchell, Walker, Fatts, Shepp, Ish had wiped out a halftime deficit and put us ahead by 4. What does he do, take out Walker and Ish for Martin and DJ and the lead evaporates and the game is lost.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This team has more talent/weapons than Cox’s first two Rhody teams and will finish with a worse record. Why? Jeff Dowtin. He masked deficiencies in culture, leadership and identity.