2/3 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/3 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Kentucky - no good this year
Michigan State - no good this year
Duke - no good this year
UNC - no good this year, slightly better than last year
URI - no good this year

URI...doesn't matter the coach this year. I'm not saying Cox is the second coming of John Wooden nor the second coming of Johnny Appleseed. But URI has a lot in common with those aforementioned teams this season. They're not that good. They have round pieces trying to fit in square holes. They have lack of quality player leadership. And they had no offseason together. Cal, Izzo, K, and Roy are all Hall of Fame coaches and they can't get their teams' acts together this year for pretty much the same reasons. And if those guys were coaching URI this year, URI would still be no good this year.

Cox, like 98% of coaches, will be given 4 years to prove himself...assuming next year is "normal." If there is not measurable improvement in individual players, what system they're running (offensively specifically), team togetherness, W-L record, etc., then Thorr will make a decision. Coaches don't get fired prior to year #4 unless a fire is burning in the program...i.e. Jerry D.

That is the situation Rhody is in, like it or not...and I realize nobody likes it.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Holy cow! Someone with intelligence. Well said, I completely agree. This is URI, we are not a blue blood. Winning is a process and you need to trust it. Took Hurley 4 years and now you cry for him back. Give Cox the same respect because the ship has not sunk and there is reason to be optimistic for a better future. We graduated a huge senior class after Hurley, it was a rebuild regardless of who drove the ship. Time will tell.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DevRam wrote: 3 years ago Holy cow! Someone with intelligence. Well said, I completely agree. This is URI, we are not a blue blood. Winning is a process and you need to trust it. Took Hurley 4 years and now you cry for him back. Give Cox the same respect because the ship has not sunk and there is reason to be optimistic for a better future. We graduated a huge senior class after Hurley, it was a rebuild regardless of who drove the ship. Time will tell.
It actually took DH 5 years, same as Mark Schmidt and Chris Mooney with their respective teams to reach the NCAAT.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

You can’t compare the situation that Hurley walked into to the one Cox inherited. If we thought it was going to take Cox 4-5 years to get back to a tourney after we made two in a row we should have hired someone else. It’s insane how many people on this board are perfectly fine with losing and watching a middle of the pack team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago You can’t compare the situation that Hurley walked into to the one Cox inherited. If we thought it was going to take Cox 4-5 years to get back to a tourney after we made two in a row we should have hired someone else. It’s insane how many people on this board are perfectly fine with losing and watching a middle of the pack team.
I didn't make a comparison, I was just stating a FACT.

Remember DC is the only coach of the three I mentioned who didn't have any previous college head coaching experience.
Also, none of those coaches in their first 3 years had to deal with a cancelled post season and a year affected by the pandemic along with empty arenas.
No telling what toll this whole situation has taken on the staff and more important the players.

The games this season seem more like organized scrimmages with no fans (they make college basketball fun), hard for me to get too excited.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Kentucky - no good this year
Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

URI...doesn't matter the coach this year. I'm not saying Cox is the second coming of John Wooden nor the second coming of Johnny Appleseed. But URI has a lot in common with those aforementioned teams this season. They're not that good. They have round pieces trying to fit in square holes. They have lack of quality player leadership. And they had no offseason together. Cal, Izzo, K, and Roy are all Hall of Fame coaches and they can't get their teams' acts together this year for pretty much the same reasons. And if those guys were coaching URI this year, URI would still be no good this year.

Cox, like 98% of coaches, will be given 4 years to prove himself...assuming next year is "normal." If there is not measurable improvement in individual players, what system they're running (offensively specifically), team togetherness, W-L record, etc., then Thorr will make a decision. Coaches don't get fired prior to year #4 unless a fire is burning in the program...i.e. Jerry D.

That is the situation Rhody is in, like it or not...and I realize nobody likes it.
I would argue that having twice the national average when it comes to players transferring out of the program during Cox' tenure is either the fire itself which has caused many of our problems or it's the smoke from what really is the issue in our program. There's something wrong with the men's basketball program
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Right now, if there's any way to lose a game, we'll find it.

Like has been said, this loss doesn't mean anything in the context of this season.

It's toast anyway imo.

If we were on the NCAA bubble, this would be a killer, but it's not. I'm not even that upset.

This is URI, folks. We have to lose the close ones before we can hopefully win a few of them down the road.

Cox will have the chance to save himself next season. Whether he does or not we'll see.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

I would argue that having twice the national average when it comes to players transferring out of the program during Cox' tenure is either the fire itself which has caused many of our problems or it's the smoke from what really is the issue in our program. There's something wrong with the men's basketball program
How many times are we going to have to have this conversation? PLEASE I’m begging you to not be so surface level in your analysis, dig in. If you’re a fan of URI you should know why/where our transfers went. It was a perfect storm of things. Not just talent leaving to go to other A10 level programs for the sake of doing so (I.e. the culture here was bad as you’re implying)

Martin - UPGRADED to Uconn
Toppin - UPGRADED to Kentucky
Adams - UPGRADED to Uconn (Hurley actually just brought him with)
Hammond - DOWNGRADED to Umass Lowell (and barely plays there)
Long - DOWNGRADED to ODU (and barely plays there)
Tate - DOWNGRADED to Sienna (and has now been kicked off the team, seems like the player is the issue)

I’m begging you to tell me which of these are Cox’s fault? All the guys who transferred down were better off without. I will accept that the argument some of these guys were over recruited - that’s a totally different conversation
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I really don't know what to say. I don't have the basketball mind that some of you do to blame the coach. I saw a bad shooting team from 3 like I usually do. VCU hit the big shot and we missed a free throw. Not the end of the world, but in the moment, pretty depressing.
......I did not post after the game, didn’t read until now......was looking for a post that captured my thoughts......this is it....and let me add; aspects(well documented here) of lack of coaching exist, AB appears lost, DJ should be the in case of emergency playing time only, and the record says it all(Coach Parcells)cannot gather a lot of positive thoughts for next year......trying though and will be in my seats next year to take in the all that the RC atmosphere during games, stopping by local bars post game......the program feels adrift, chasing bodies off the transfer portal......rooting for the laundry.......out
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

How many times are we going to have to have this conversation? PLEASE I’m begging you to not be so surface level in your analysis, dig in. If you’re a fan of URI you should know why/where our transfers went. It was a perfect storm of things. Not just talent leaving to go to other A10 level programs for the sake of doing so (I.e. the culture here was bad as you’re implying)

Tate - DOWNGRADED to Sienna (and has now been kicked off the team, seems like the player is the issue)

I’m begging you to tell me which of these are Cox’s fault? All the guys who transferred down were better off without. I will accept that the argument some of these guys were over recruited - that’s a totally different conversation
Jesus Chr*st almighty. The reason the national search resulted in hiring someone one chair away from DH was, in large part, due to continuity of roster and recruiting class. That's a really bad reason to do it but, if you do, at least get that part right. To take this to the absurd extreme, every single school in the country is a level above or below to some extent so you'd excuse any transfer. DH, for all his flaws, left a program that didn't require a full rebuild. Cox will get next year because that's just the way of the world short of scandal or full nuking of a program, especially (fairly) in a pandemic. But let's not pretend anyone needs another year to evaluate Cox.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I really don't know what to say. I don't have the basketball mind that some of you do to blame the coach. I saw a bad shooting team from 3 like I usually do. VCU hit the big shot and we missed a free throw. Not the end of the world, but in the moment, pretty depressing.
......I did not post after the game, didn’t read until now......was looking for a post that captured my thoughts......this is it....and let me add; aspects(well documented here) of lack of coaching exist, AB appears lost, DJ should be the in case of emergency playing time only, and the record says it all(Coach Parcells)cannot gather a lot of positive thoughts for next year......trying though and will be in my seats next year to take in the all that the RC atmosphere during games, stopping by local bars post game......the program feels adrift, chasing bodies off the transfer portal......rooting for the laundry.......out
Next year isn’t “super exciting” quite yet, but I’m far from extremely concerned either. If Shep doesn’t come back maybe we start breaking the fire alarm glass. Have to think he will want to though

Ish - Shep - AB?? - Walker - Mitchell with Mitchel#2/Harris off the bench. You have a very legit front court, a great pair of starting guards, and pray that AB/Carey/Malik can contribute something from the wing
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago

Jesus Chr*st almighty. The reason the national search resulted in hiring someone one chair away from DH was, in large part, due to continuity of roster and recruiting class. That's a really bad reason to do it but, if you do, at least get that part right. To take this to the absurd extreme, every single school in the country is a level above or below to some extent so you'd excuse any transfer. DH, for all his flaws, left a program that didn't require a full rebuild. Cox will get next year because that's just the way of the world short of scandal or full nuking of a program, especially (fairly) in a pandemic. But let's not pretend anyone needs another year to evaluate Cox.
I have no problem with people criticizing the coaching side of Cox, I agree he’s left a lot to be desired so far.

On the roster continuity front he more or less did what the program hoped. He kept Fatts, Downtin, Cyril and Tyrese (short term). I totally disagree with your comment about “every program is some level better or worse than URI”. If you look at the schools these players transferred to there are ZERO grey areas of “is this team that much better or worse”. Each of those programs is definitively better or worse than us. That’s not an argument that’s a fact
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago You can’t compare the situation that Hurley walked into to the one Cox inherited. If we thought it was going to take Cox 4-5 years to get back to a tourney after we made two in a row we should have hired someone else. It’s insane how many people on this board are perfectly fine with losing and watching a middle of the pack team.
I am struggling to find words for people who continue to say "it took Hurley xx years" to do whatever when compared with Cox.

We specifically hired Cox to PREVENT the rebuild everyone said we would be having if we hired a new guy. In fact, had we hired a guy from outside of the program, no one would be as incensed as they are right now because that's the expectation.

In year ONE game 4, Hurley's completely outgunned team hung with #4 Ohio State for about 35 mins of that game. Then they lost in the final minutes against Seton Hall the next night. You could tell there was a change in the culture.

In year 3 (this year) we got our first ranked win in 15 years, improved throughout the season, had a 13-5 record in a vastly superior A-10, won 5 of our last 7, won a game in the A-10 tourney, lost a close one in the semi's to Dayton, and won a game in the NIT.

But ignore the W/L and the who we beat...does anyone really feel like this team has improved? That players have improved?

Watching Hurley teams I don't think there was one person on this board who could accuse anyone on the floor of not playing hard or not caring, who could accuse the coach of being lost or not caring, or who couldn't see a distinctive change in the program.

The only bright spots on this team at the moment are a true freshman (who had to wait for a player to get completely incapacitated to get minutes he should've been getting months ago), a red-shirt who didn't play last year, and a transfer sophomore.

Kingston - Yes when you look at the individual cases you can make them "make sense" of why players left - but why didn't Hurley lose Jeff, EC, JT, or Hassan to "higher level programs?" They could've all played in higher level conferences with greater exposure and better facilities.

Why are we recruiting players who aren't good enough to play at this level then? And the ones who can, why can't you demonstrate enough value to keep them here? Right, wrong, or indifferent it all falls on the coach.

But this weird idea that Cox has somehow not been given a fair shake or a good situation to come into is flat out wrong and insulting to what this program had become 3 short years ago.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Well said Blue!

We should've been able to build on what DH left us. I for one am tired of being "the little train that thought it could"
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hey look what the cat dragged in our Superfan GBG who only rears his head when things are bad. Go back to critiquing Munford or Hurley or any number of your other horrendous trolly takes. The internet is a weird place inhabited by folks like you.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Hey look what the cat dragged in our Superfan GBG who only rears his head when things are bad. Go back to critiquing Munford or Hurley or any number of your other horrendous trolly takes. The internet is a weird place inhabited by folks like you.
If I only came when things were bad, I would have a lot more than three or four posts in the Cox era. When Cox was hired, I said the worst mistake you can make is to hire someone to keep a class together. So many people like you convinced yourself that the person best for the job just happened to be three feet away. This would have been a very good job for a high level P5 assistant or a head guy a tier below.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
I am struggling to find words for people who continue to say "it took Hurley xx years" to do whatever when compared with Cox.

We specifically hired Cox to PREVENT the rebuild everyone said we would be having if we hired a new guy. In fact, had we hired a guy from outside of the program, no one would be as incensed as they are right now because that's the expectation.

In year ONE game 4, Hurley's completely outgunned team hung with #4 Ohio State for about 35 mins of that game. Then they lost in the final minutes against Seton Hall the next night. You could tell there was a change in the culture.

In year 3 (this year) we got our first ranked win in 15 years, improved throughout the season, had a 13-5 record in a vastly superior A-10, won 5 of our last 7, won a game in the A-10 tourney, lost a close one in the semi's to Dayton, and won a game in the NIT.

But ignore the W/L and the who we beat...does anyone really feel like this team has improved? That players have improved?

Watching Hurley teams I don't think there was one person on this board who could accuse anyone on the floor of not playing hard or not caring, who could accuse the coach of being lost or not caring, or who couldn't see a distinctive change in the program.

The only bright spots on this team at the moment are a true freshman (who had to wait for a player to get completely incapacitated to get minutes he should've been getting months ago), a red-shirt who didn't play last year, and a transfer sophomore.

Kingston - Yes when you look at the individual cases you can make them "make sense" of why players left - but why didn't Hurley lose Jeff, EC, JT, or Hassan to "higher level programs?" They could've all played in higher level conferences with greater exposure and better facilities.

Why are we recruiting players who aren't good enough to play at this level then? And the ones who can, why can't you demonstrate enough value to keep them here? Right, wrong, or indifferent it all falls on the coach.

But this weird idea that Cox has somehow not been given a fair shake or a good situation to come into is flat out wrong and insulting to what this program had become 3 short years ago.
Blueman, you're nuts! It's not Cox's fault if he recruits a player that underachieves. Oh, and if he recruits talent and they transfer, that's not his fault either.. Who cares that the entire freaking conference has talented players that could play at a bigger school but decided to stay. The important thing to always remember is NONE OF THIS IS COX'S FAULT.

I'm clearly being sarcastic, but come on, guys. I'm a fan of Cox, but the excuses he gets from some of you are crazy.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NC_Ram wrote: 3 years ago Well said Blue!

We should've been able to build on what DH left us. I for one am tired of being "the little train that thought it could"
.......”the sleeping giant”.......is back in hibernation........it was wake and stirring a bit.......now?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As with much of the season thus far, did not watch or follow the game last night in real time. Just catching up now and looking at the box score and play by play chronology. See that Rhody had a 4 point lead (62-58) with 47 seconds left. Then missed TWO consecutive front ends of 1 and 1's. VCU in contrast hit both its free throws and a three point basket with 5 seconds left. One team (URI) wilted and choked while the other (VCU) rose to the occasion.

Rhody is now 9-10 with most of the season in the books. The record pretty much reflects what this team is - a sub .500 squad. No consistency and no identity. All its numerous flaws usually always on display every game. It is becoming ever more probable that URI is headed toward its first losing season in seven years. It is fortunate for Rhody fans that none of us are seeing it in person.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I have seen most of the high's and low's of this program dating back to Jack Kraft era, I was 10 and my uncle used to take me to games. I am now 54.

Nothing ever changes here. We have the coach who takes us to the top and then his replacement brings us right back down. The only time they ever got the hire right was with Al Skinner. In Al's 4th year we went to NIT and then the NCAA the following year. With Al though you could see he could coach. It was more about getting the talent at that time to a much tougher A-10 than it is today.

So does Cox deserve another year, I guess he does. But here's the thing, I don't see the signs that he can be a good game day coach. I have said it for a while now but his decision to take Jeff off the ball two years ago was the defining moment for me. he handed the ball to a reckless player and put one of the top 3 PG in program history to the side.

When we talk about the transfers, yes some left for better options and some went to less attractive options but one thing was a constant, except for Harris, 2 entire recruiting classes left the program. Sorry to me that means something stinks.

I also feel he isn't using his best players correctly now. Everyone on this board sees how well and how hard ISH plays. He should have been starting a month ago and playing more than 14 minutes a game. Yet we continue to see Carey and Bertrand play over him. Don't think players don't notice those types of things. If you told me that ISH leaves at the end of the year for a better program it wouldn't surprise me. And that would be on Cox.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If I only came when things were bad, I would have a lot more than three or four posts in the Cox era. When Cox was hired, I said the worst mistake you can make is to hire someone to keep a class together. So many people like you convinced yourself that the person best for the job just happened to be three feet away. This would have been a very good job for a high level P5 assistant or a head guy a tier below.
Oh please you thought Dan was only hired for his last name and needed a geriatric assistant to help him. You’re a troll who knows nothing about how things work. The next best candidate when we hired Cox was Dooley at ECU. You aren’t a fan or supporter of this program so your agenda is odd to say the least.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago I also feel he isn't using his best players correctly now. Everyone on this board sees how well and how hard ISH plays. He should have been starting a month ago and playing more than 14 minutes a game. Yet we continue to see Carey and Bertrand play over him. Don't think players don't notice those types of things. If you told me that ISH leaves at the end of the year for a better program it wouldn't surprise me. And that would be on Cox.
To be fairer to Cox on this, I think he's rectified this to a degree. Ish logged the most minutes of the three against VCU, and Carey in particular has been in the 0 to 10 minute range for about a month now. It wouldn't surprise me if Ish is logging 30+ MPG while Fatts is out, since he's able to create his own shot without a huge rise in his turnover rate, something the rest of URI's guards and wings can struggle with.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What has become evident, is that this team has holes talent wise...it's not just on Cox, but it's his job to fill those holes.

Yes the pandemic totally screwed up the normal recruiting processes for this season.

That's why THIS offseason will be Cox's chance to [hopefully anyway] bring in more normally recruited talent to help next year and beyond.

Then it's ALL on him to coach and develop that talent in practice and in games.

This year is almost a mulligan in that regard, but there are NO more excuses from now on.

We do have some success stories....the Mitchells, Ish, Sheppard....but also too many misses....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

So, I guess Ish will transfer up. Jermaine will transfer down. The 2 redshirt frosh see who is in front of them on the roster, so they'll transfer down. Is URI the perfect match for anyone?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
Next year isn’t “super exciting” quite yet, but I’m far from extremely concerned either. If Shep doesn’t come back maybe we start breaking the fire alarm glass. Have to think he will want to though

Ish - Shep - AB?? - Walker - Mitchell with Mitchel#2/Harris off the bench. You have a very legit front court, a great pair of starting guards, and pray that AB/Carey/Malik can contribute something from the wing
So, we have a lot of players coming back. Naturally, we should think we should see a lot of improvement. But should we expect that now? Really?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we have several more transfers out, then the rumors that it's the staff that's the problem, will be substantiated.

Then Cox has to go. Would prove to me that the environment about the program has become toxic.

I'm all for starting over if need be.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago If I only came when things were bad, I would have a lot more than three or four posts in the Cox era. When Cox was hired, I said the worst mistake you can make is to hire someone to keep a class together. So many people like you convinced yourself that the person best for the job just happened to be three feet away. This would have been a very good job for a high level P5 assistant or a head guy a tier below.
Oh please you thought Dan was only hired for his last name and needed a geriatric assistant to help him. You’re a troll who knows nothing about how things work. The next best candidate when we hired Cox was Dooley at ECU. You aren’t a fan or supporter of this program so your agenda is odd to say the least.
I won't speak for anyone else, just myself. The concept of keeping the team/recruiting class together was an important factor but the not the only factor in me wanting Cox to be hired. Dan himself vouched for Cox and said he should be the next coach (and that he'd save a spot for Cox at UConn if Thorr didn't hire him). I took Dan's opinion of Cox's coaching acumen more than any troll on KB. I wanted Cox because he proved he can recruit and the previous coach who brought this program back to life said URI should hire Cox.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

DC also was a “P5 assistant” since that is supposedly what we should have looked for that had shown good basketball acumen and had a great recruiting track record with strong ties to a talent rich area (DMV). This wasn’t a Jerry D hire to save 1 star player, this was an attempt to hire from within with a guy who was on the precipice of getting a HC job somewhere. It’s no different than the strategy Xavier has successfully employed. At the time he was undoubtedly the right hire, in the end will he prove to be the jury is still out. But the easiest position to take is to MM QB the thing now and pine for a person who didn’t exist at the time. If I recall this same poster thought we should have hired Pat Skerry instead of Dan. What a joke.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs and I suggest that people do the same about him.

I'm all for setting the bar at "get to the NCAA tournament every year." And I get people are disappointed when the team is not good and not going to NCAA's. But a "sleeping giant?" That's coach-speak when they're selling a program to alumni, fans, donors, and players. How many "sleeping giants" are out there? Realistically, they are few and far between. Why can't be URI be like Gonzaga? Why can't (you name the school) be like Gonzaga? Because it's really, really hard. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule. There is only one Gonzaga.

Let's be honest, URI is like a lot of A-10 schools. These are not basketball factories...I'm sorry, they're just not. St. Joe's, Richmond, St. Bonnies, etc. They've all had periods of greatness and all had droughts and all had so-so periods. That doesn't mean you can't be disappointed or upset when Rhody is no good. But please look at this in greater context and perspective. A-10 schools just do not year-in/year-out go to NCAA tournaments. Among the A-10 programs, who would you trade your URI program for? Dayton, Davidson and VCU, maybe. But beyond that?

I mean seriously, this is a very small pie that these schools are all picking at. You can be upset when Rhody doesn't win 20 games a season. But I also know that winning 20+ games every year is not typical. You can demand and expect it. But please know that St. Joe's Nation, GW Nation, LaSalle Nation, etc. are all posting the same things on their boards as posted on here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs and I suggest that people do the same about him.

I'm all for setting the bar at "get to the NCAA tournament every year." And I get people are disappointed when the team is not good and not going to NCAA's. But a "sleeping giant?" That's coach-speak when they're selling a program to alumni, fans, donors, and players. How many "sleeping giants" are out there? Realistically, they are few and far between. Why can't be URI be like Gonzaga? Why can't (you name the school) be like Gonzaga? Because it's really, really hard. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule. There is only one Gonzaga.

Let's be honest, URI is like a lot of A-10 schools. These are not basketball factories...I'm sorry, they're just not. St. Joe's, Richmond, St. Bonnies, etc. They've all had periods of greatness and all had droughts and all had so-so periods. That doesn't mean you can't be disappointed or upset when Rhody is no good. But please look at this in greater context and perspective. A-10 schools just do not year-in/year-out go to NCAA tournaments. Among the A-10 programs, who would you trade your URI program for? Dayton, Davidson and VCU, maybe. But beyond that?

I mean seriously, this is a very small pie that these schools are all picking at. You can be upset when Rhody doesn't win 20 games a season. But I also know that winning 20+ games every year is not typical. You can demand and expect it. But please know that St. Joe's Nation, GW Nation, LaSalle Nation, etc. are all posting the same things on their boards as posted on here.

Bravo, bravo.

Every school has fans who are pretty delusional in their expectations, and there are more than a few here. Those people insist other posters are "always negative", when in reality, they're more realistic.

You can hope for Sweet 16s, tourney births every other year, (like I do), but I don't expect them, because that's just not who we are. We'll have a few years in a row where we make the tourney and compete for championships, but we'll also have years like we've had the last 3.

We are just not on the level of Dayton, VCU, or even St Louis to a lesser extent.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs and I suggest that people do the same about him.

Bravo, bravo.

Every school has fans who are pretty delusional in their expectations, and there are more than a few here. Those people insist other posters are "always negative", when in reality, they're more realistic.

You can hope for Sweet 16s, tourney births every other year, (like I do), but I don't expect them, because that's just not who we are. We'll have a few years in a row where we make the tourney and compete for championships, but we'll also have years like we've had the last 3.

We are just not on the level of Dayton, VCU, or even St Louis to a lesser extent.
When Dan Hurley left for UCONN we were at the level of Dayton, VCU, St Louis and climbing.
The expectation was that David Cox would at least maintain where we were. It wasn't far fetched to believe that David Cox could continue the URI Program to greatness and consistently in the Top 3-4 Teams of the A10. There was discussion of the Practice Facility, more Charter Flights, etc.

Even to start this year there were posters talking about the tremendous talent on this year's team. Bill Koch voted in the A10 Preseason Poll URI #3. Many posters thought the #6 Coaches A10 Preseason Ranking was much too low and "we would show em".

The "bar". (no offense BAR) now continues to be lowered by some on this board as if that is logical, fair.......and too expect Top 4 in the Conference on an ongoing basis is delusional

You are what your record is.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If Hurley were still here, would we have a record of 9-10 overall and 6-6 in conference? Methinks not.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago If Hurley were still here, would we have a record of 9-10 overall and 6-6 in conference? Methinks not.
If Hurley were still here we would've gone to 3 straight NCAA's and been in line for a 4th.

He wouldn't have taken the ball out of Dowtin's hands and he probably would've done a better job of reigning Fatts in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Expecting URI to go to the dance every year is unrealistic of course. We will never be a Gonzaga...and I think Dan knew that.

But to try to rationalize mediocrity should have no place around this program. And that's what some on this board try to do.

We can and should expect more than what we're currently seeing around these players and coaches.

Bad play is bad play...and bad coaching is bad coaching. And that's what we're getting.

You want to be Fordham...then go root for them.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago If Hurley were still here, would we have a record of 9-10 overall and 6-6 in conference? Methinks not.
If Hurley were still here we would've gone to 3 straight NCAA's and been in line for a 4th.

He wouldn't have taken the ball out of Dowtin's hands and he probably would've done a better job of reigning Fatts in.
We don't know what DH would of done, he isn't here so who cares?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

a) i think there's a reasonable track record and just the simple fact that Jeff Dowtin ran Hurley's motion offense as a primary ballhandler with remarkable success, and Cox took Dowtin off the ball

b) it's way more fun to fantasize about what could've happened here that to actually be invested in what's currently happening. Because this sucks.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I didn't expect David Cox to light the world on fire when he replaced Dan.

I did expect a temporary dip in performance, at least when it came to wins and losses and NCAA berths.

Of course he was an unproven head coach. Growing pains were expected.

Unfortunately those growing pains have been a lot worse than I expected.

And is he really growing into the job? I really thought that Dave would become a good bench coach. But he hasn't.

What is so troubling, is that things just aren't improving, they look to be regressing.

And that's what has me and others so concerned.

When will there be a turnaround? And will there be?

This should not be allowed to continue much longer. And that's the crux of the matter imo.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

In terms of the team regressing, I'm not sure that's true. If you only look at wins and losses then yes. But I think it's more that they haven't improved over last year and instead are pretty much the same (with a tougher schedule). Per KenPom in Cox's three years:

OVERALL RANKING:
2018-19: 142
2019-20: 65
2020-21: 67 (currently)

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
2018-19: 185
2019-20: 126
2020-21: 100 (currently)

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
2018-19: 112
2019-20: 39
2020-21: 32 (currently)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

a) i think there's a reasonable track record and just the simple fact that Jeff Dowtin ran Hurley's motion offense as a primary ballhandler with remarkable success, and Cox took Dowtin off the ball

b) it's way more fun to fantasize about what could've happened here that to actually be invested in what's currently happening. Because this sucks.
I can appreciate that
Let's face it though DH was never an offensive guru, not sure how he would of used Fatts.
Fatts at 5'10 " with heels on, would of been difficult playing the CG position and matching up with the bigger guards.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can appreciate that
Let's face it though DH was never an offensive guru, not sure how he would of used Fatts.
Fatts at 5'10 " with heels on, would of been difficult playing the CG position and matching up with the bigger guards.
Maybe he wasn't an offensive guru, but I guess you don't need to be? He has his team in 4th place in his first year in the nbe in his 3rd year with a new team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

I can appreciate that
Maybe he wasn't an offensive guru, but I guess you don't need to be? He has his team in 4th place in his first year in the nbe in his 3rd year with a new team.
I think DH will do a fantastic job there and should have them competing regularly.
He has a good mixture of under and upperclassman, strong staff with excellent assistants.
DH has also put together some great recruiting classes including 2021 ranked 3rd in the BE with three 4* recruits.
He won't keep everyone happy with playing time, which is why Javonte Brown bailed and wouldn't be surprised if Springs joins him.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I can appreciate that
Not an offensive guru, but the identity would still be that Ram Tough defense and we would have more wins on that alone.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
I can appreciate that
Not an offensive guru, but the identity would still be that Ram Tough defense and we would have more wins on that alone.
Yes, he probably would of
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs...
I’m all for that first part but you are dead wrong on the last part.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago In terms of the team regressing, I'm not sure that's true. If you only look at wins and losses then yes. But I think it's more that they haven't improved over last year and instead are pretty much the same (with a tougher schedule). Per KenPom in Cox's three years:

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
Those numbers don’t mean anything. Player development, coaching decisions(like always using timeouts) and game management are bigger factors. How is the coach helping to learn from mistakes that both he and his players make to better the program down the line. NCAA tournament bids aren’t awarded on KenPom statistics. In terms of the schedule Cox did a fantastic job with putting a competitive one together in a tough environment, but isn’t the schedule perceived as tougher than it really is? BC, Arizona State, the whole A-10 and on and on. Cox will either need to deliver with many more wins or some type of proof of improvement next year. I guess even over the final few games would be something.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs...
What folks around here don't know could fit in a small ocean...you can try to paint Dan as just like a Penders or a Harrick who were on the first bus out of here but the reality is that is far far from the case. He's wired different.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago In terms of the team regressing, I'm not sure that's true. If you only look at wins and losses then yes. But I think it's more that they haven't improved over last year and instead are pretty much the same (with a tougher schedule). Per KenPom in Cox's three years:

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
Those numbers don’t mean anything. Player development, coaching decisions(like always using timeouts) and game management are bigger factors. How is the coach helping to learn from mistakes that both he and his players make to better the program down the line. NCAA tournament bids aren’t awarded on KenPom statistics. In terms of the schedule Cox did a fantastic job with putting a competitive one together in a tough environment, but isn’t the schedule perceived as tougher than it really is? BC, Arizona State, the whole A-10 and on and on. Cox will either need to deliver with many more wins or some type of proof of improvement next year. I guess even over the final few games would be something.
Actually the NCAA uses KenPom to determine who gets bids so saying those numbers are meaningless is flat wrong. KP is part of NET rankings, which are how bids are awarded. It doesn't fit the narrative of some here but those numbers are moving in the right direction. Yes on court results have to follow but those numbers aren't meaningless.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
I dont even know him like you do, but its not hard to tell he poured his heart and soul into this program and part of him will always be a Rhody Ram.

Dumb people trying to make him out to be a snake oil salesmen.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can appreciate that
I think DH will do a fantastic job there and should have them competing regularly.
He has a good mixture of under and upperclassman, strong staff with excellent assistants.
DH has also put together some great recruiting classes including 2021 ranked 3rd in the BE with three 4* recruits.
He won't keep everyone happy with playing time, which is why Javonte Brown bailed and wouldn't be surprised if Springs joins him.
I'm expecting he will kick the crap out of pc twice in the next couple of weeks.