David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DigB
Michael Andersen

Re: David Cox

Unread post by DigB »

Cox is one of our best recruiters but that will likely get harder as his non-playoff resume extends.

If Cox can't learn how to push his player's buttons, he will never succeed. He unfortunately lacks a leader on the court holding the team accountable.

He is also just average as a bench coach.

Nice guys unfortunately don't finish first.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
I am convinced that Rhody72 is a blood relative of DC, or actually Jim Baron.

72, this is a serious question - do you root for David Cox because he was nice to you at some point?
"Blue Man"
I have been posting on this Board since before Baron was hired. The record will show I was not in favor of either the Baron or Cox hiring. I've heard Cox speak a few times but I have never had a conversation with him.

I am a very long-time URI basketball fan. Professionally, I worked as a senior administrator for 25+ years before retiring and have hired many people. Based on this experience and what I have observed, I believe David Cox will become a great basketball coach, most likely somewhere else based on the way he is being treated at URI.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

72, this is a serious question - do you root for David Cox because he was nice to you at some point?
"Blue Man"
I have been posting on this Board since before Baron was hired. The record will show I was not in favor of either the Baron or Cox hiring. I've heard Cox speak a few times but I have never had a conversation with him.

I am a very long-time URI basketball fan. Professionally, I worked as a senior administrator for 25+ years before retiring and have hired many people. Based on this experience and what I have observed, I believe David Cox will become a great basketball coach, most likely somewhere else based on the way he is being treated at URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......great coach somewhere else?.......maybe, lower level sure, where the bar is set lower, and his personal style and traits fit that places mission, however in the high pressure D1 university flagship athletic program where win/loss, Dance appearances are the bar, he needs to start winning basketball games, not just hearts and minds.....tough business out there......this is not prep school or D3 operation......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

"Blue Man"

I think we all want to know though, what exactly have you observed with David Cox as a head coach that makes you believe he will be great?

Wishful thinking (like all of us) or actual concrete proof?

Has the on court product really shown you that he will be a great head coach?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

72 is just hoping he'll be good.....just like a lot of us.

But in this case hope is all we've got.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......great coach somewhere else?.......maybe, lower level sure, where the bar is set lower, and his personal style and traits fit that places mission, however in the high pressure D1 university flagship athletic program where win/loss, Dance appearances are the bar, he needs to start winning basketball games, not just hearts and minds.....tough business out there......this is not prep school or D3 operation......
If he wins games, the hearts and minds will follow.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

Didn’t many of those players transfer from Nebraska pre-Hoiberg plus he brizzed a couple more?
Exactly, this is his 2nd year. Last year 4 of those transfers were starters. Even prior to Hoiberg, Tim Miles had 4 players that transferred from the 2017-2018 team.
OK rather than trying to find the other less than 1% of basketball programs who have similar issues with talent retention, would it just be fair to say it isn't indicative of a program going in the right direction?

That seems to be a common theme with all teams listed.
I've been one of the people who hasn't necessarily thought that all of the transfers after the 2020 season were a bad thing, and really, its just Martin and maybe Toppin that we're missing this particular season. However, I should probably clarify my position - It's definitely a big deal if it is *yearly* churn of 3 to 6 players, especially ones playing major minutes. So far, we don't have enough of a sample size when it comes to Cox.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

"Blue Man"

Fantastic - so then you understand the problems that mediocrity and purgatory brings to a program.

I'm confused by your notion that you keep bringing up about "the way he is treated" - like what at URI has not been great for him? For a first time head coach he's at a decently high level making a good salary with good incentives. I haven't heard of anyone overstepping their bounds and telling him what to do with the program.

Are you insinuating that fans on a message board - who don't like to watch their team blow games and lose games they should win, or flat out not even show up to play - should be saying nothing but positive things?

You keep saying "the way he is treated at URI" like this message board and the actual program have anything to do with each other.

And to be honest, if anyone is in a head coaching position at any university and logs onto a fan message board, reads what the fans say, and says "I'm being treated poorly" - then you probably don't have thick enough skin to be a coach.

Pay me $700k a year and you can come and dump in my front yard.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Exactly, this is his 2nd year. Last year 4 of those transfers were starters. Even prior to Hoiberg, Tim Miles had 4 players that transferred from the 2017-2018 team.
OK rather than trying to find the other less than 1% of basketball programs who have similar issues with talent retention, would it just be fair to say it isn't indicative of a program going in the right direction?

I've been one of the people who hasn't necessarily thought that all of the transfers after the 2020 season were a bad thing, and really, its just Martin and maybe Toppin that we're missing this particular season. However, I should probably clarify my position - It's definitely a big deal if it is *yearly* churn of 3 to 6 players, especially ones playing major minutes. So far, we don't have enough of a sample size when it comes to Cox.
Both Long and Hammond left to get more minutes and they both still average 9-10 minutes a game. Someone, from the outside told them that they were better than they were.

If Kentucky knocked on any of our doors, we are leaving. If UCONN, knocked on any of our doors, we are leaving.

Tate was practically ran himself out of school.

Who am I missing?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm just here to congratulate Rhody72 for his quadruple double-post. 😀
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Both Long and Hammond left to get more minutes and they both still average 9-10 minutes a game. Someone, from the outside told them that they were better than they were.

If Kentucky knocked on any of our doors, we are leaving. If UCONN, knocked on any of our doors, we are leaving.

Tate was practically ran himself out of school.

Who am I missing?
On an individual level, each transfer decision makes sense. My point is that if you're losing that many players each year, then something is wrong with either your scouting or player management process. Maybe you need to look into players that have a lower ceiling, but might stick around longer. Which, you know, I realize is really, really hard when you're recruiting 17 to 20-year-olds. And again - I don't think we have enough of a sample size here to say whether that was a one-year, non-repeated thing, or if it's a recurring, negative thing.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The big thing I'm looking for this offseason is going to be player retention. If Rhody can bring everyone (or near everyone) back that will at least point to the fact that Cox has settled the transfer thing down a bit. Everyone who is eligible next year is one of Cox's guys.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago The big thing I'm looking for this offseason is going to be player retention. If Rhody can bring everyone (or near everyone) back that will at least point to the fact that Cox has settled the transfer thing down a bit. Everyone who is eligible next year is one of Cox's guys.
Probably helps that 6 likely can’t transfer without penalty and 2 “graduate.” That leaves Harris, Leggett, Berry, Johnson, and Ayo-Faleye.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago The big thing I'm looking for this offseason is going to be player retention. If Rhody can bring everyone (or near everyone) back that will at least point to the fact that Cox has settled the transfer thing down a bit. Everyone who is eligible next year is one of Cox's guys.
Probably helps that 6 likely can’t transfer without penalty and 2 “graduate.” That leaves Harris, Leggett, Berry, Johnson, and Ayo-Faleye.
I wouldn't be surprised if Shep returns and wants to play a normal season at the Ryan Center in front of fans, also thinking this team may be able to contend next season.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm all for technicalities if it helps slow the exodus.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I wouldn't be surprised if Shep returns and wants to play a normal season at the Ryan Center in front of fans, also thinking this team may be able to contend next season.
I could believe that, but, he's also going to be 24 in July. I think he's got enough game tape now to suggest that he could be helping a professional team somewhere in the world and making a living.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I could believe that, but, he's also going to be 24 in July. I think he's got enough game tape now to suggest that he could be helping a professional team somewhere in the world and making a living.
Ya, I think Shep would be nuts to come back at his age. You only have so many years to make this a living professionally.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with you and he will probably move on, but it is a shame he would never get that opportunity to play in front of the fans at the RC.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Ya, I think Shep would be nuts to come back at his age. You only have so many years to make this a living professionally.
Indeed.

He is guaranteed a pretty sweet deal overseas and definitely has a chance to play in the G-league.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree with you and he will probably move on, but it is a shame he would never get that opportunity to play in front of the fans at the RC.
Ya that 3 he hit against Seton Hall would have had the place going absolutely nuts.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also only have so many years to have a full college experience, which Sheppard hasn't had here yet. So it goes both ways, I won't be surprised one way or the other.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Also only have so many years to have a full college experience, which Sheppard hasn't had here yet. So it goes both ways, I won't be surprised one way or the other.
I initially thought there was no way Fatts would play college basketball next year, now I am not so sure. I am not sure it will be at Rhody either which will be sad. If Shep plays it is likely here at Rhody.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

EC did it.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess JH will transfer to play his last year at a lower conference like an Iona level conference
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI does not extend Cox's contract now, recruiting will suffer, the program will go downhill and URI will be looking for a new head coach who will work for ~$700K per year.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If URI does not extend Cox's contract now, recruiting will suffer, the program will go downhill and URI will be looking for a new head coach who will work for ~$700K per year.
What do you propose?
How much of a raise to lock him in?
How many years?
And what would your sales pitch be to Thorr, President Dooley, the new incoming URI President and lastly to Keaney Blue membership :roll:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doesn’t deserve an extension now and with the new transfer rules now job security just doesn’t mean as much let the contract play out and see how we fare next year
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He does not deserve an extension by any means.

Next year will be very telling. At that point either he needs to get an extension or be shown the door.

I'm leaning toward the door.

72, recruiting will always suffer short term when a change is made. That's the way it is.

Anyway, most of our future recruits will likely be transfers, so the impact won't be as great.

Keeping a coach [or promoting the assistant coach] to save recruits sometimes doesn't work out too well.

We are finding that out now.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fwiw doombone you had the same opinion about Dan in his 3rd/4th year. How’d that turn out?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago He does not deserve an extension by any means.

Next year will be very telling. At that point either he needs to get an extension or be shown the door.

I'm leaning toward the door.

72, recruiting will always suffer short term when a change is made. That's the way it is.

Anyway, most of our future recruits will likely be transfers, so the impact won't be as great.

Keeping a coach [or promoting the assistant coach] to save recruits sometimes doesn't work out too well.

We are finding that out now.
Sorry 78, I know you are extremely pessimistic about the outlook for this program under Cox, but he won't be shown the door this year or next.
I don't believe things will completely crash or Cox will violate University or NCAA policies for that to happen.
This certainly isn't a Jerry D. situation
He also happens to be held in very high regard by the administration.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......been mentioned many times here, and this satisfactory, settle for less, accept, things as they are leads to CFL situation.......no acceptable to many in the fan base......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......been mentioned many times here, and this satisfactory, settle for less, accept, things as they are leads to CFL situation.......no acceptable to many in the fan base......
It is too early in Cox's tenure as head coach to compare this program to the CFL situation. I currently take the more optimistic side.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If URI does not extend Cox's contract now, recruiting will suffer, the program will go downhill and URI will be looking for a new head coach who will work for ~$700K per year.
We get it. I struggle to understand why you keep saying this. He will get extended because you have to - that's how college basketball works.

Also, Cox was a FIRST TIME head coach. Jordan at Butler also makes $700k. Cox is compensated for his experience relative to the position. For someone who keeps lauding their "expertise" in hiring and talent identification, you have a wild perspective. You always bring in new hires at a CEO rate?

Mark Schmidt makes $800k at St Bonnies. Bob McKillop makes somewhere between $400k-$600k.

Cox will get 2 years and they might increase his salary to make a more palatable buyout for the last 2 seasons.

But your reasoning is incredibly flawed. He'll get the extension because we have to, not because he's done anything to warrant progress in his 3 years here (end of season tourney run not withstanding).

Everything Dan Hurley built here is gone. We hired Cox initially to carry the torch. We are now trending dangerously close to "rebuild" territory.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......been mentioned many times here, and this satisfactory, settle for less, accept, things as they are leads to CFL situation.......no acceptable to many in the fan base......
It is too early in Cox's tenure as head coach to compare this program to the CFL situation. I currently take the more optimistic side.
......OK, the not so steep slippery slope to the CFL situation is approaching in the hoops program being viewed by admin as good enough....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
......OK, the not so steep slippery slope to the CFL situation is approaching in the hoops program being viewed by admin as good enough....
The administration will expect more than just mediocrity, but we aren't even close to approaching the Baron threshold yet.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
The administration will expect more than just mediocrity, but we aren't even close to approaching the Baron threshold yet.
The Baron situation was unique and handled by a terrible athletic director and an over-stepping president.

Because they both screwed up the Harrick and DeGregorio situations so badly, they did not want to lose what they saw as a stabilizing force to the program. They didn't want to risk hiring a 3rd coach in 5 years.

Also Jerry D was SO BAD that Baron looked like John Wooden by comparison. We saw a 2nd round NIT appearance as "success" and hired for that.

2 years in, the Virginia Tech "scare" caused Petro and Carothers to offer a 10 year contract, which is pretty much unheard of.

Thorr was forced to give the 1 year extension in 2009, because you need your coach to have 4 years left to give them a shot at recruiting.

Thankfully we are not in that contract situation.

That said, every coach (Jerry D notwithstanding) needs 4 years. That's when it's been "their program" for an entire class.

Granted I am in the camp that is a little more impatient because Cox did not inherit a rebuild. He had established leaders and starters returning. He had a winning culture. He had program enhancements. He had an intact, highly ranked recruiting class. He had an established culture of winning. He had brand recognition. He had an infusion of NCAA money.

Regardless of that and the fact that we should've seen AT LEAST a big win by now, if not a tournament appearance. A bare minimum would be a team that improves and plays its best basketball at the end of the season (not the case the last 2, certainly doesn't look good now).

Regardless, you need to show prospective coaches that they'll have a chance to implement their "system" unimpeded, otherwise it doesn't become a good situation to jump to.

Personally, I feel you can tell by year 3 if a coach is hired into a good situation. Year 4 is a fair measuring stick if it's an outside hire in a good situation. Year 5 is reserved for the Hurley situations where you're coming into a nuclear wasteland.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Personally, I feel you can tell by year 3 if a coach is hired into a good situation. Year 4 is a fair measuring stick if it's an outside hire in a good situation. Year 5 is reserved for the Hurley situations where you're coming into a nuclear wasteland.
I think this is a good way to think about it and I generally agree. The only thing I’d add is that not every coach should get 5 years automatically just because they inherited a complete mess. In a case like Hurley’s it took that much time to get all the way there, but it was pretty evident early on and throughout the time he was building it that it was headed in the right direction. If you hire a coach for a rebuild and there are no signs of life after three years (or maybe even two years) you might not have a choice but to start thinking about a move because at that point your program is teetering on the edge of the abyss.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
I think this is a good way to think about it and I generally agree. The only thing I’d add is that not every coach should get 5 years automatically just because they inherited a complete mess. In a case like Hurley’s it took that much time to get all the way there, but it was pretty evident early on and throughout the time he was building it that it was headed in the right direction. If you hire a coach for a rebuild and there are no signs of life after three years (or maybe even two years) you might not have a choice but to start thinking about a move because at that point your program is teetering on the edge of the abyss.
I 100% agree with your sentiment - I just think within the context of wanting to attract high level prospective coaches, you can't be objectively "quick" on the trigger. Even if we agree that 3 years isn't "quick" given certain circumstances.

Like Jerry D was an obvious flop, so that's an easy sell.

In this specific situation, you have to think how URI is viewed objectively. We're a historically underperforming, mediocre basketball school. Firing a guy after 3 years of not making the tournament when we just came from 19 years of not making the tournament looks laughable from the outside.

I obviously think the bar should be raised, and Hurley was a huge proponent of that.

Unfortunately, it's a very slow "raising" as our practice facility and 10 minute walk from the locker room is progress - but still not in line with our competitive expectations.

Cox will get 4-5 years, but if he can't get it done then - you HAVE to bail.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any other "Nate Oats" out there? Hypothetically speaking, is there another coach that would improve this program right away?
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I 100% agree with your sentiment - I just think within the context of wanting to attract high level prospective coaches, you can't be objectively "quick" on the trigger. Even if we agree that 3 years isn't "quick" given certain circumstances.

In this specific situation, you have to think how URI is viewed objectively. We're a historically underperforming, mediocre basketball school. Firing a guy after 3 years of not making the tournament when we just came from 19 years of not making the tournament looks laughable from the outside.

I obviously think the bar should be raised, and Hurley was a huge proponent of that.

Unfortunately, it's a very slow "raising" as our practice facility and 10 minute walk from the locker room is progress - but still not in line with our competitive expectations.

Not sure I would agree that we are a historically underperforming program. Not in the context of who we are, an underfunded MM program in a conference that has its flaws. Duquesne is a historically underperforming program, even Umass given what they put into their program is an underperformed. I mean in my lifetime alone I have seen us win 6 NCAA games live. My guess is that’s more than any PC fan of my age can say they have seen. We are the little engine that could for sure, and we stayed in the Baron biz for too long, but don’t think that descriptor is really accurate.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Any other "Nate Oats" out there? Hypothetically speaking, is there another coach that would improve this program right away?
Daniel S. Hurley.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Not sure I would agree that we are a historically underperforming program. Not in the context of who we are, an underfunded MM program in a conference that has its flaws. Duquesne is a historically underperforming program, even Umass given what they put into their program is an underperformed. I mean in my lifetime alone I have seen us win 6 NCAA games live. My guess is that’s more than any PC fan of my age can say they have seen. We are the little engine that could for sure, and we stayed in the Baron biz for too long, but don’t think that descriptor is really accurate.
BAR - I am not saying that, but from an objective perspective of the overall college basketball landscape - we are.

It would be a bad look (similar to BC firing Jags for taking an interview with the Jets) that would signal that our expectations far outweigh our investments in the program. You don't want to be a punchline all over twitter with sports personalities coming out about how "cox wasn't given a fair shake" which could diminish interest a future coaching candidate could have.

Objectively 4-5 years is the standard no matter what.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

BAR - I am not saying that, but from an objective perspective of the overall college basketball landscape - we are.

It would be a bad look (similar to BC firing Jags for taking an interview with the Jets) that would signal that our expectations far outweigh our investments in the program. You don't want to be a punchline all over twitter with sports personalities coming out about how "cox wasn't given a fair shake" which could diminish interest a future coaching candidate could have.

Objectively 4-5 years is the standard no matter what.
Oh ok, yes in that regard your comment makes sense and i agree.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Cox was not my choice, but given the circumstances he was perceived as the coach that would provide continuity. I said it then and it bears repeating. Hurley not only left, but cherry picked the staff, leaving Cox with a total staff rebuild. That was his first task and it appears he failed. Before Cox is shown the door, he should be given the opportunity to tweak his staff. There are plenty of aggressive and experienced assistants and perhaps even some head coaches at lower mid major schools that would welcome the opportunity to be on the staff of an Atlantic 10 program and work for the money that is slotted. The problem is that most coaches are paranoid by nature and are constantly in fear of hiring their potential replacement. The time has come for Cox to prove he can manage a D1 program and do what it takes to be successful.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Why would he be? DC was the right hire at the time. His women’s hire looks like a home run. Got the football stadium improvements done, almost there on practice facility.
Sometimes incoming presidents have their own vision of how an athletic department should be run and that might not be compatible with Thorr's vision
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Why would he be? DC was the right hire at the time. His women’s hire looks like a home run. Got the football stadium improvements done, almost there on practice facility.
Sometimes incoming presidents have their own vision of how an athletic department should be run and that might not be compatible with Thorr's vision
Ask Tom Ryan. He is picking the next President.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
in a year when there has been almost a complete roster turnover, - who's fault is that? No team in the country had that kind of turnover. We lost 2 STARTERS. We have lost 8 of 10 recruits in the first 2 years here. This ridiculous obsession you have with trying to pull this season out of the context of the entire coaching tenure is insulting to anyone who's watched 10 minutes of college basketball outside of kingston.
I will say Wichita State had higher turnover...but not really something anyone should want to point to when looking at the URI turnover.
When I pointed out this past summer that we have double the national average transfers, people pointed to Gregg Marshall and said "don't you feel stupid, it happened to one of the best coaches!" That analogy didn't age well
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DigB wrote: 3 years ago Cox is one of our best recruiters but that will likely get harder as his non-playoff resume extends.

If Cox can't learn how to push his player's buttons, he will never succeed. He unfortunately lacks a leader on the court holding the team accountable.

I have heard a well connected person say they think David Cox is too nice to be successful as a head coach here. I hate that attitude, but I'm wondering if there's something to it...
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
DigB wrote: 3 years ago Cox is one of our best recruiters but that will likely get harder as his non-playoff resume extends.

I have heard a well connected person say they think David Cox is too nice to be successful as a head coach here. I hate that attitude, but I'm wondering if there's something to it...
I've heard players say he gets into the players a lot in practice.

Might be true, but to me it mostly seems like our main issue is the offense we run. Without that true PG the players roles are less defined which creates some nice moments, but too much inconsistency and then they dont play hard enough defensively to make up for it.

Fatts being hurt all year and playing like a shell of himself also hurting a ton. I mean, if he just wasn't banged up it could be a whole different story.