THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Unread post by luke »

Vegas has the line out and it is URI - 11/2 which is the same line Dayton had vs URI on Saturday . Uneasily , and with trepidation , something
is telling me to take URI with the small handicap .I know they have handled VCU , but with Fatts not one hundred percent if he is even available
and the inconsistency of this group , I have another voice in my head telling me to be careful . Having said and felt those feelings I am still going with
the home Rams here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 3 years ago Vegas has the line out and it is URI - 11/2 which is the same line Dayton had vs URI on Saturday . Uneasily , and with trepidation , something
is telling me to take URI with the small handicap .I know they have handled VCU , but with Fatts not one hundred percent if he is even available
and the inconsistency of this group , I have another voice in my head telling me to be careful . Having said and felt those feelings I am still going with
the home Rams here.
I read that as - 11.5 and I almost Took out my 401K, stocks, savings and checking and put it on VCU.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
luke wrote: 3 years ago Vegas has the line out and it is URI - 11/2 which is the same line Dayton had vs URI on Saturday . Uneasily , and with trepidation , something
the home Rams here.
I read that as - 11.5 and I almost Took out my 401K, stocks, savings and checking and put it on VCU.
:lol:
I did the same thing. I thought it was -11.5 URI
I was even more into putting huge money on VCU because I don’t even think URI should be favored at all
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have to go VCU here just think they are the better team even though we have owned their soul lately. If they play like they did v Dayton it will be a long night for Rhody Nation
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

OOPS ! That was supposed to be - 1 1/2 or -1.5 sorry about that guys, but you figured it out .
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We’re 5-1 at home so even though we’ve given up leads lately, and that it’s almost impossible that we’ve beaten them this many times in a row, I think we still win by 5-6.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think take URI 1st half then take VCU in the 2nd half as I think they will make the proper adjustments
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

VCU coach Mike Rhoades is paid more than double URI's David Cox's salary.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

]

Without Fatts, this game is a match-up nightmare for URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A healthy Fatts is the difference against VCU.

Unfortunately he's not healthy.

I don't see us winning this game. 20+ turnovers are likely.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Is Fatts out for tn?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Probably a game time decision for Fatts.
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Line jumped to VCU -2.5 or even VCU -3. Bettors must not be expecting Fatts to play.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As I continue to go MC Hammer on this team. Can't touch this.

Rhody has owned them, but we are not good. Pick em seems fair, there's just too many wild outcomes possible with this team against this opponent.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Line jumped to VCU -2.5 or even VCU -3. Bettors must not be expecting Fatts to play.
How do they know?
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Line jumped to VCU -2.5 or even VCU -3. Bettors must not be expecting Fatts to play.
How do they know?
“They” don’t. Lines just move based on where more money is to ensure the sports books make money.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
How do they know?
It's not so much that bettors know - just that they take the info available and make an assumption and bet that way (where they see the value).
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago VCU coach Mike Rhoades is paid more than double URI's David Cox's salary.
Mike Rhoades has taken VCU to the NCAA tournament, David Cox has fallen short of expectations. Funny how you get paid more when you do better...
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago ]

I would think that is on Cox, no?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

No. Fatts was projected to be 1st team all-a10 and POY. How do you not miss such a player on any team against a good opponent?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago VCU coach Mike Rhoades is paid more than double URI's David Cox's salary.
Mike Rhoades has taken VCU to the NCAA tournament, David Cox has fallen short of expectations. Funny how you get paid more when you do better...
Not my expectations to date. I might agree if no NCAAT next year based on my current expectations. This is what you get when you promote an up and coming assistant from within. Blame Thor.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

No. Fatts was projected to be 1st team all-a10 and POY. How do you not miss such a player on any team against a good opponent?
o
Fatts is no where close to 1st Team and POY. How do you miss that fact?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

72. Dude what is your deal?

Ok say Cox was making $2M this year - does it make this teams performance under him more or less ok?

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not my expectations to date. I might agree if no NCAAT next year based on my current expectations. This is what you get when you promote an up and coming assistant from within. Blame Thor.
You are legitimately schrodingers poster. How can David Cox be simultaneously the best coach ever who should be making $2M per year and also an up and coming assistant who shouldn’t have been promoted?

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

You are legitimately schrodingers poster. How can David Cox be simultaneously the best coach ever who should be making $2M per year and also an up and coming assistant who shouldn’t have been promoted?
I feel like I've seen 72 somewhere before....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...
Blue Man, stop making up what I never said such as "...best coach ever..." and "... should be making $2M per year...". Perhaps your facts on why you don't care for Cox are just as fictitious.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...
Blue Man, stop making up what I never said such as "...best coach ever..." and "... should be making $2M per year...". Perhaps your facts on why you don't care for Cox are just as fictitious.
Nurse Ratched says it's time for your medication 72. You twisted person.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago ...
Another poster who has to resort to name calling rather than providing facts, opinions to be discussed or analysis about URI basketball. Let me inject another fact: David Cox has a better D1 head coaching record than Mike Rhoades and is paid less than half his salary. I hope DC's compensation is addressed before it becomes a public embarrassment to URI and URI Athletics.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 u are better than that and u know it
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Another poster who has to resort to name calling rather than providing facts, opinions to be discussed or analysis about URI basketball. Let me inject another fact: David Cox has a better D1 head coaching record than Mike Rhoades and is paid less than half his salary. I hope DC's compensation is addressed before it becomes a public embarrassment to URI and URI Athletics.
First off, false. This is where I go back to the "greatest PC fan troll job in the history of this board." How are you this hypocritical?

You are completely making up stats to try and promote your weird fetish about Cox as a great head coach. Again, no one is saying he can't become one, but everyone is saying "there's no track record, proof, or concrete example of linear improvement that would lead us to trust that assumption at this time."

For the ACTUAL facts: Cox has a .585 head coaching record (and falling). Rhoades has a .654 overall record as an HC. He's .646 at VCU. I am not sure where you are getting your stats.

Also, Rhoades has a 10 year head coaching stint at a D3 school before he was an assistant at VCU that had 4 conference championships, 4 D3 NCAA appearances including 2 D3 sweet 16's. Then after he was an assistant at VCU, he took over a historically terrible Rice Owls team and was their WINNINGEST COACH SINCE 1959. In his 3rd year he got them to their highest level post season tournament since 2005 and actually won a CBI game - a marked success in the context of that program.

At VCU he's won an A-10 title, an A-10 coach of the year award, and made an NCAA tournament.

Yeah, I'd say his resume probably means he should make more than 1st time head coach AT ANY LEVEL David Cox.

David Cox is also GUARANTEED $700k a year. That doesn't include his performance bonuses of $25k for a sweet 16, elite 8, final four, or natty appearance. $20k if the team finishes 1st in the A10. Another $20k if the team wins the A10 tournament. $5k for an NIT. $5k for conference coach of the year. $10k for national coach of the year.

His total package and realistic performance bonuses he could hit (#1 seed in A10, A10 COY, A10 tourney champ, GPA, etc) AKA if DC just hit the "bar" he talked about for this program, that's $800k+.

Not too shabby for a FIRST TIME EVER HEAD COACH AT ANY LEVEL.

They're also building a practice facility.

To call any of that a "public embarrassment" is a phenomenal affirmation of how out-of-touch your assertions about DC's situation are.

Listen, no one is more critical of the lack of investments in this program by this university than me. There are pages of manifestos on how bullshit it is and how there should be more investments in the basketball program...though we are getting better.

Regardless, David Cox has been given the absolute best situation in the history of this school. He has a film room, an incoming practice facility, a higher assistant coaches pool, and more charter flights than Dan Hurley ever had. Dan Hurley came with a pedigree and collegiate head coaching experience and success. Cox is making more than Hurley did in his first job offer.

David Cox is also paid more than a host of coaches in the A10, including coaches with significantly more success and longevity than him like Mark Schmidt and Bob McKillop.

Just because some message board posters have the audacity to critique obvious coaching deficiencies, does not equate "poor treatment or support" from the university. Please stop with this notion that somehow David Cox is not being given a fair shake or adequate support by URI. It is not rooted in fact, context, or reality.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
First off, false. This is where I go back to the "greatest PC fan troll job in the history of this board." How are you this hypocritical?

You are completely making up stats to try and promote your weird fetish about Cox as a great head coach. Again, no one is saying he can't become one, but everyone is saying "there's no track record, proof, or concrete example of linear improvement that would lead us to trust that assumption at this time."

For the ACTUAL facts: Cox has a .585 head coaching record (and falling). Rhoades has a .654 overall record as an HC. He's .646 at VCU. I am not sure where you are getting your stats.

Also, Rhoades has a 10 year head coaching stint at a D3 school before he was an assistant at VCU that had 4 conference championships, 4 D3 NCAA appearances including 2 D3 sweet 16's. Then after he was an assistant at VCU, he took over a historically terrible Rice Owls team and was their WINNINGEST COACH SINCE 1959. In his 3rd year he got them to their highest level post season tournament since 2005 and actually won a CBI game - a marked success in the context of that program.

At VCU he's won an A-10 title, an A-10 coach of the year award, and made an NCAA tournament.

Yeah, I'd say his resume probably means he should make more than 1st time head coach AT ANY LEVEL David Cox.

David Cox is also GUARANTEED $700k a year. That doesn't include his performance bonuses of $25k for a sweet 16, elite 8, final four, or natty appearance. $20k if the team finishes 1st in the A10. Another $20k if the team wins the A10 tournament. $5k for an NIT. $5k for conference coach of the year. $10k for national coach of the year.

His total package and realistic performance bonuses he could hit (#1 seed in A10, A10 COY, A10 tourney champ, GPA, etc) is in the $800k range.

Not too shabby for a FIRST TIME EVER HEAD COACH AT ANY LEVEL.

They're also building a practice facility.

Listen, no one is more critical of the lack of investments in this program by this university than me. There are pages of manifestos on how bullshit it is and how there should be more investments in the basketball program...though we are getting better.

Regardless, David Cox has been given the absolute best situation in the history of this school. He has a film room, an incoming practice facility, a higher assistant coaches pool, and more charter flights than Dan Hurley ever had. Dan Hurley came with a pedigree and collegiate head coaching experience and success. Cox is making more than Hurley did in his first job offer.

David Cox is also paid more than a host of coaches in the A10, including coaches with significantly more success and longevity than him like Mark Schmidt and Bob McKillop.

Just because some message board posters have the audacity to critique obvious coaching deficiencies, does not equate "poor treatment or support" from the university. Please stop with this notion that somehow David Cox is not being given a fair shake or adequate support by URI. It is not rooted in fact, context, or reality.
I am one of those that felt Cox had been compensated very fairly based upon his resume.
I also think he will probably end up getting a short term negotiated extension, because that is usually the normal policy.
The administration does want to keep a positive atmosphere between them and the coaching staff. This is also important to attract potential transfers and recruits so they feel they go to a stable program.