Makhel Mitchell

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Makhel Mitchell

Unread post by theblueram »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Think their coach got fired today.
Yes indeed. Yes indeed he did. That team is not A10 caliber. Not even close.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jeffrey Mark Neubauer is an American college basketball coach and the former head men's basketball coach at Fordham University. He was hired on March 30, 2015. He was fired on January 26, 2021.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You guys think Neubauer lands on his feet ??
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago You guys think Neubauer lands on his feet ??
No. Meet Jeff "Who?"bauer....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LaSalle was another solid game for Makhel
33 minutes with only 1 foul. He has really improved with his personal fouls. This is his second time exceeding 30 minutes. He played a career high 34 minutes vs UMASS that went into OT
5-8 FG for 11 points for Game high 3rd behind Sheppard’s 25 points and Russell’s 14 points
4 rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks as he continues to defend the rim better and better
Only 1 turnover in 33 minutes

His 33 minutes is indicative of the confidence David Cox is developing with him. Only 1 foul and only 1 turnover. Makhel’s lowest turnover number since the WKU game way back on Dec 13
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

If his brother didn’t get hurt we could be 12-5 or 11-6.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago LaSalle was another solid game for Makhel
33 minutes with only 1 foul. He has really improved with his personal fouls. This is his second time exceeding 30 minutes. He played a career high 34 minutes vs UMASS that went into OT
5-8 FG for 11 points for Game high 3rd behind Sheppard’s 25 points and Russell’s 14 points
4 rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks as he continues to defend the rim better and better
Only 1 turnover in 33 minutes

His 33 minutes is indicative of the confidence David Cox is developing with him. Only 1 foul and only 1 turnover. Makhel’s lowest turnover number since the WKU game way back on Dec 13
I love the rate that this kid is improving at right now. Has definitely made strides in many areas. Personally, I need him to go get 10 rebounds, regardless of the situation on a particular night. If he can get 20 mins at least in the court. Then I need 10 boards! In time, I think he’ll raise to this challenge. He has to all others thus far💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Makhel Mitchell is much better than I thought. People thought of him as a coattail rider, his brother the prize and he the tagalong. Kid has proven he's legit.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Makhel is definitely coming to his own and becoming a presence in the paint.
His performance has been a very positive lift to this team considering the struggles of JH and injury to Makhi.

I never thought I would say this but going into next season, I am much more concerned about our backcourt than frontcourt.
We have the twins, Walker, DJ, possibly a healthy JH, the freshman Ileri and Samb, all rotating upfront. Lot's of question marks next year at the guards.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Makhel is A10 play

11ppg
6rpg
2bpg

Them good numbers for basically a Freshman in terms of playing experience.

In terms of next year you got Ish and some question marks at the other guard spot. If Sheppard came back those questions are largely solved. I would bet Cox hits the grad/transfer market for another guard.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel Mitchell is much better than I thought. People thought of him as a coattail rider, his brother the prize and he the tagalong. Kid has proven he's legit.
He's definitely a better prospect than Croswell so is it safe to say Big Ed made a mistake if PT assurances for the "other Mitchell" was the stumbling block there?
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Jeffrey Mark Neubauer is an American college basketball coach and the former head men's basketball coach at Fordham University. He was hired on March 30, 2015. He was fired on January 26, 2021.
I think this is embarrassing on the part of Fordham. To fire a coach halfway through the year like this is ridiculous*. What did they expect to finish 12th in the league instead of 14th? They have sucked for a long period of time irrespective of who the coach is. Maybe the administrators should look into the mirror to see who is the reason for this.

You put no money into your program even though you are one of the wealthier schools in the league. Do not invest in facilities, coaches or anything else necessary to compete in the A10. And then fire the coach during the year? Shame on Fordham. Should have waited and done this at the end of the season like everybody else.

Better yet, make a commitment to compete at the A-10 level or leave. They really are a major drag on the entire conference.

*Unless there is a story that I am not aware of this should have happened at the end of the year not during.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel Mitchell is much better than I thought. People thought of him as a coattail rider, his brother the prize and he the tagalong. Kid has proven he's legit.
He's definitely a better prospect than Croswell so is it safe to say Big Ed made a mistake if PT assurances for the "other Mitchell" was the stumbling block there?
It’s impossible to know. There were a lot of people wrong on Makhel and it’s a credit to his work ethic to prove them wrong.

I think Croswell can be solid and he’s owned his role as a seldom-used player for this season, which is what the roster needed from him.

Would Makhel develop the same if he was playing 4-5 mins a night behind Nate Watson? Would he be happy with that?

A significant part of his development is the fact he’s been able to play so freely and learn from his mistakes on-the-fly.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
It’s impossible to know. There were a lot of people wrong on Makhel and it’s a credit to his work ethic to prove them wrong.

I think Croswell can be solid and he’s owned his role as a seldom-used player for this season, which is what the roster needed from him.

Would Makhel develop the same if he was playing 4-5 mins a night behind Nate Watson? Would he be happy with that?

A significant part of his development is the fact he’s been able to play so freely and learn from his mistakes on-the-fly.
Agree there's no way of knowing and Makhel has most definitely had a more rapid development process due to the extensive game experience he is getting. But question to you, knowing what you know, would you rather have Croswell or the Mitchell twins?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Agree there's no way of knowing and Makhel has most definitely had a more rapid development process due to the extensive game experience he is getting. But question to you, knowing what you know, would you rather have Croswell or the Mitchell twins?
I'd probably say Croswell and I'll tell you why.

I think the Mitchell's have the higher ceiling. I think they've shown a lot this year, a lot more than I thought. But, I don't think there is enough time in an Ed Cooley led system to make them both happy (which I believe is the secret recipe with them). Cooley does not play really any 2-big lineup. His preference is for a stretch "4," which has featured guys like Henton, Bullock, and Diallo. He's been experimenting with Jimmy Nichols in that spot and they like his upside. That is his preference for the position.

Even if one/both Mitchells had been willing to suck up a season playing behind Nate Watson and barely getting any run, I'm not sure they'd like whatever split there would be for minutes at the position in the future. It's unlikely either would see any real minutes at the "4."

If none of that mattered, then sure I'd take the Mitchell's, but IMHO I do have to factor their happiness into the equation.

Dave Cox is obviously very comfortable playing two bigs together, so it's a better fit for them in that regard. There is room for them both to be on-the-court at the same time. They wouldn't get that opportunity at PC.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s great that Makhel is lowering his fouls we need him on the floor for at least 30 minutes a game , great to see his improvement
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think the Mitchell's have the higher ceiling. I think they've shown a lot this year, a lot more than I thought. But, I don't think there is enough time in an Ed Cooley led system to make them both happy (which I believe is the secret recipe with them). Cooley does not play really any 2-big lineup. His preference is for a stretch "4," which has featured guys like Henton, Bullock, and Diallo. He's been experimenting with Jimmy Nichols in that spot and they like his upside. That is his preference for the position.

Even if one/both Mitchells had been willing to suck up a season playing behind Nate Watson and barely getting any run, I'm not sure they'd like whatever split there would be for minutes at the position in the future. It's unlikely either would see any real minutes at the "4."

If none of that mattered, then sure I'd take the Mitchell's, but IMHO I do have to factor their happiness into the equation.

Dave Cox is obviously very comfortable playing two bigs together, so it's a better fit for them in that regard. There is room for them both to be on-the-court at the same time. They wouldn't get that opportunity at PC.
I can’t see them on the floor much together for URI either. Their games are too similar. Maybe 5 minutes a night but I don’t see prolonged periods of that unless one of them develops a game out to the 3 point line for spacing reasons. Big Ed isn’t alone in that preference you don’t see many if any teams out there that play 2 true centers at the same time.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I can see the Mitchell's playing together next year for 15 to 20 minutes per night. That would give them 28-30 minutes each night. Walker playing 25 minutes at the 4. Move DJ to the three more with Martin as the backup. Play AB at the two and Ish at the one. Jalen as the primary back-up. If we are fortunate enough to have Sheppard come back you have him and Ish in the back court. Tres is an unknown? Coach brings in grad or transfer point guard if no Sheppard.

We become a very big team who plays more zone and extends out to the arc. If they are our best two players they will be on the court more than just a few minutes together.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago I can see the Mitchell's playing together next year for 15 to 20 minutes per night. That would give them 28-30 minutes each night. Walker playing 25 minutes at the 4. Move DJ to the three more with Martin as the backup. Play AB at the two and Ish at the one. Jalen as the primary back-up. If we are fortunate enough to have Sheppard come back you have him and Ish in the back court. Tres is an unknown? Coach brings in grad or transfer point guard if no Sheppard.

We become a very big team who plays more zone and extends out to the arc. If they are our best two players they will be on the court more than just a few minutes together.
They play the same position and have almost exactly identical skill sets. It would be almost impossible to play them together for long stretches as it stands now. Again if 1 of them develops an ability to be a face up player with range out to 15-20 feet then that changes. But right now neither of them has that ability.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago I can see the Mitchell's playing together next year for 15 to 20 minutes per night. That would give them 28-30 minutes each night. Walker playing 25 minutes at the 4. Move DJ to the three more with Martin as the backup. Play AB at the two and Ish at the one. Jalen as the primary back-up. If we are fortunate enough to have Sheppard come back you have him and Ish in the back court. Tres is an unknown? Coach brings in grad or transfer point guard if no Sheppard.

They play the same position and have almost exactly identical skill sets. It would be almost impossible to play them together for long stretches as it stands now. Again if 1 of them develops an ability to be a face up player with range out to 15-20 feet then that changes. But right now neither of them has that ability.
I don't think they came here to split time. I think we are going to see some 3 guard/2 big type lineups next year. Makhel has been really good; to the point where last night's very solid performance was treated as ho-hum.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
I think this is embarrassing on the part of Fordham. To fire a coach halfway through the year like this is ridiculous*. What did they expect to finish 12th in the league instead of 14th? They have sucked for a long period of time irrespective of who the coach is. Maybe the administrators should look into the mirror to see who is the reason for this.

You put no money into your program even though you are one of the wealthier schools in the league. Do not invest in facilities, coaches or anything else necessary to compete in the A10. And then fire the coach during the year? Shame on Fordham. Should have waited and done this at the end of the season like everybody else.

Better yet, make a commitment to compete at the A-10 level or leave. They really are a major drag on the entire conference.

*Unless there is a story that I am not aware of this should have happened at the end of the year not during.
Hire Rick Pitino, have beers in seats...boom...serious upward trajectory...
(ETA: For those asking, "for here or Fordham?" Answer = yes)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago

I don't think they came here to split time. I think we are going to see some 3 guard/2 big type lineups next year. Makhel has been really good; to the point where last night's very solid performance was treated as ho-hum.
Makhel has steadily improved and you are right, last night he played a solid game but it was a relatively quietly received.
Makhel earned the starting spot after the first two games of the season over his more highly ranked brother. It’s great news for us that Makhel is playing so well in his first year. He just keeps playing better and better. Now controlling his Personal Fouls. Nice that he is proving to be very coachable.

I think they are both so good that Cox will have to play them both 30+ minutes per game, more if they keep personal fouls in check which Makhel is proving to be possible!
Agree they did not both come up URI to sub for one another. They want floor time.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's an excellent take that I can respect and you make excellent points. Regardless of if a particular recruit is better on paper and turns out to be better than you expected in a different program, if the recruit isn't going to be happy there, and/or doesn't fit in with system being run, then both parties are better off going in a different direction.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So now we may have the twin towers possibly and people don't want them to play together? I give up.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So now we may have the twin towers possibly and people don't want them to play together? I give up.
Certainly not me saying that. Play the best players period.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Makhel has shown so much more than I thought he would.....and his brother is supposed to be better.

Our inside game will be our strength going forward, which is something quite different than what we're used to here.

Need another ball handler to complement Ish, someone with good court awareness. High BB IQ in other words, but never that easy to get.

Chance might be that guy, but he's another year away.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So now we may have the twin towers possibly and people don't want them to play together? I give up.
Certainly not me saying that. Play the best players period.
I can definitely see the twins on the court together, Cox earlier in the year did have both on the floor at certain times. Next season and beyond, I am sure we will see that happen.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Mekhi showed moments that he can handle the ball and moves really fluid. He will be a four at the next level and I'm sure will put in extensive time developing his face up game. The two together have to be great selling points for any lead guard we are recruiting.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You can’t play basketball with 4 guys sitting in the paint (the Mitchell twins and the 2 guys covering them). So, again, if 1 of them is able to stretch out to 15-20 feet, and has the ability to make that shot and the other necessary ball skills then that’s a solve. I haven’t seen that yet but of course they have lots of time to develop. I am also not saying they aren’t on the floor together as like I said originally I can see that for 5-10 minutes a game which would still put them both in the 25-30mpg range you would see for most big men. Big men get in foul trouble. They tire more easily.

This also doesn’t take into account the other end of the floor and matchups. You wanna see 1 of them get in foul trouble quick, put them on a stretch 4 who can hit threes and put the ball on the floor. Let’s say Cayo at UR for example. No shot. Right now they are both back to basket big men. I am struggling to recall an example of that in action in recent memory. Anyone got a comp?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There have been numerous times whereby David Cox subbed Jermaine Harris for Antwan Walker leaving Mitchell and Harris to play together this year.
So I don’t see why two Mitchell’s would be any different, in fact I’d expect two Mitchell’s would be better. No?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And has our offense ever looked good with that pairing? No

It is very difficult to play without spacing and if you have two guys who are not a threat beyond 10 feet there will be no spacing. That’s why Twan is a prototypical 4 man bc he can face up and actually can hit a 3. In this scenario where the Mitchell’s are both out there 30mpg (lol) then I guess Twan is riding pine his senior year?

The Morris twins at Kansas are the closest comp I can think of. But they were more PFs and at least 1 of them was more of a face the basket player. They also combined to take over 130 three pointers their junior year. This year the Mitchell’s have taken 1. You can’t play basketball with 4 men sitting in the paint it just doesn’t work. Unless you have 3 other guys with range out to 30 feet to pull everyone else away from the basket.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

UNC the last 10 years plays big. BIG.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll be shocked if the Mitchell Twins do not play together.
And okay together a lot.
I get the logic being used but I don’t get only playing one at a time after seeing how much talent they both bring to the court.
Makhel is demonstrating a better and better shooting touch.
And imagine the defense! Two rebounding, shot blocking rim protectors on the floor at the same time?

I wish Rod was here to give us his take.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Obviously we would play more zone defensively but we then create the match-up problems. Think Big BAR. Look how much zone coach k played when he kicked our ass with Marvin Bagley and Wendell Clark and a bench of Bolden and DeLaurier. He played more zone that year and coached to his teams strengths. We always drag one big away and play so much pick and roll and high low. Many colleges use two big systems. These guys move so well and are very athletic. They will both develop that face up game. They want to play in the League and have that type of potential. Cox would be foolish not to build part of his system with these two on the court together. I completely understand where you are coming from but this type of big talent is not common in our conference.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But Bagley was more of a face up 4, and shot 60 three pointers in that season connecting on 40% of them. Again my point is moot if even 1 of them develops the ability to play away from the basket. Just haven't seen that yet but it's early. It would most certainly require a complete revamp of our offensive system. But that's a good problem to have. I 100% agree that the A10 has not seen that type of size together on the court at the same time and it would be a unique advantage, but it will not work offensively if they both are back to the basket bigs.

I also don't think Walker is playing 10-15 minutes a game his senior year and there is nowhere else he can play besides the 4. When they were both available yes Cox put them in a couple times together, for about 1-2 minutes at a time. I think that model would continue with those number of minutes on court together growing as they move on in their URI career. Just don't typically see bigs average 30+mpg let alone 2 of them. That's why i said i could envision them pairing up for 5 or 10 or 12 minutes a game next season where one of them slides to the 4. Just can't envision 30 minutes of that. And that doesn't even account for the defensive side of the ball where there would undoubtedly be times they were having to cover a 6'6" player who spends the whole game at the 3 point line (basically every team in our league). I could be wrong, and again this is a great problem to have.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago UNC the last 10 years plays big. BIG.
Bacot and Brooks at UNC the last two years are good comps. Both about same size, not threats beyond 10 feet, leading scorers/prominent players on their team. Bacot averages 23mpg and Brooks 28mpg so nowhere near the 30 minutes a night for both guys on the floor together some are suggesting.
UNC is also 25-24 over the last 2 seasons.

Want to go before that to 18-19 when UNC was very good with big man Luke Maye paired with Brooks. Maye shot 125 three pointers that season.

It has nothing to do with their size it's their skill sets. Until I see one of them able to stretch the floor it's hard to envision long stretches of them both out there together. Good luck to Ish trying to drive into that lane :).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sampson and Olajuwon. Duncan and Robinson.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Using one in high ball screens and slips to the rim with other setting up opposite block/short corner for ball reversal duck in/dump in. Gonzaga's double post screen and roll offense is made for these two. Good luck playing zone in high-low and midpoint situations with high post dive. Spacing does not become an issue with shooters. Chance the sniper. The game was played offensively without face up fours for a very long time. We just need one to be able to make a 15 footer consistently. Parrish and Mchale. High/Low basketball. 4/5 has 80 minutes a game. Walker will still get minimum 20 minutes per game. Twins will be closer to 25-28 on most nights and some nights 30. I am really hopeful for 20 minutes together on most nights. It's a great option if they can develop and truly a program changer. Good dialogue BAR. I appreciate your knowledge.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Sampson and Olajuwon. Duncan and Robinson.
It's tough to make a comp to 3 of the best big men of all time who were surrounded by other NBA players.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If David Cox will play Makhel and Jermaine together then it stands to reason he would play Makhel and Makhi together.

If Makhi is better than Jermaine (queue Rhody15) then Makhel and Makhi must capable of being paired in the David Cox system.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What the twins said when they came to URI...

How would you describe your game? What have you improved?

Makhel: “My offensive game has grown a lot. Over the past year. On defense we’re sliding our feet better and we can switch off (screens) and guard on the perimeter better. We’re always attacking the glass, offensive rebounding and defensive rebounding. The back-to-the-basket game has gotten a lot better too.

Makhi: “Everything (Makhel) said and stretching the floor, hitting the 15-foot (jump shot). Bringing an intensity to the game, bringing a toughness to the game.”

Do you have a message for the URI fanbase?

Makhel: “We’re going to work hard and be dedicated and we’re ready to win.

Makhi: “Bring back an A10 championship, be nationally ranked, make it to the tournament.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wpri.c ... ayers/amp/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

These Mitchell Twins are simply too talented and too loaded with potential to only have one in the game at a time.
They have also demonstrated excellent Coach-ability such that the sky is the limit for both of them. Makhel is improving so quickly it’s scary in a good way how high his ceiling can be. And Makhi is considered the better of the two based on rankings fwiw.
I think next season we will look back at this discussion of not playing both at the same time and laugh it off. These two guys are going to be awesome - together. Hope I’m right.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Mahkel is another example of a player making a big leap from freshman to sophomore year. The twins need to get stronger and will as their bodies mature. The A10 is a guard's league playing fast-break basketball which means playing the twins together will create match-up problem for both URI and our opponents. The best of both worlds is being able to play multiple styles with different personnel groupings. We'll be fine either way as long as we play defense, limit TOs and make our FTs.
NCAAs or Bust!
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Play a zone stick one of them on top. Like we did with Lamar back in the day
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel has shown so much more than I thought he would.....and his brother is supposed to be better.

Our inside game will be our strength going forward, which is something quite different than what we're used to here.

Need another ball handler to complement Ish, someone with good court awareness. High BB IQ in other words, but never that easy to get.

Chance might be that guy, but he's another year away.
Rambone I'm thinking we could use a point guard; assuming Fatts is gone.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Reminder how good this kid is.

French and Mitchell are the best in the A10 and he can work them both.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Reminder how good this kid is.

French and Mitchell are the best in the A10 and he can work them both.
Yup. Mitchell twins are legit power 5 talents. Our front court should be the best in the league by a mile next year
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thought Cox waited way too long to put him in with 4 fouls didn’t he sit him for like 8 minutes??
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Makhel, Twan and Ish have been the lone bright spots to this season.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Makhel, Twan and Ish have been the lone bright spots to this season.
Need to had Sheppard to that list, easily over Leggett. Leggett has had flashes, but he's at best 4th on the "bright spot" list.
Go Rhody