1/16 | George Mason | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/16 | George Mason | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Absolutely amazing how people have been calling for Carey to be out of the rotation, yet wanting Harris and have been questioning why he isn’t playing and saying it has to be an injury or disciplinary and not that he just isn’t good.

Harris didn’t play today because he sucks, has always sucked, and Cox is finalizing realizing we’re better with DJ.

I know it’s going to be tough for everyone to finally admit they’ve been wrong for 3 years and I (along with Blue Man) have been right.
Dude there’s plenty of people who have been disappointed with Harris’s play and just decide to not continuously trash a kid online behind anonymity. It’s called being an adult.
Seriously, Harris didn't even DNP to your expectations. It's hard to critique a player in an in-game thread who isn't on the floor. Harris hasn't been good this year and neither has Carey. Both should be end of the bench guys.

Do you watch Harris like this?
Hahaha I just want to win, and Harris just wasn’t helping us do that.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts 50% from the field, 60% from 3, led the team in points and assists.

But nobody will give him props today because everyone just wants to pile on him.
The issue is we expected him to play like this every game. But against UAss, 3-13 FG, 1-3 3pt and 3 TO's. So, it's tough to praise a Senior when this is what we expected but have not seen consistently.

Definitely can agree with that.
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Dude there’s plenty of people who have been disappointed with Harris’s play and just decide to not continuously trash a kid online behind anonymity. It’s called being an adult.
Seriously, Harris didn't even DNP to your expectations. It's hard to critique a player in an in-game thread who isn't on the floor. Harris hasn't been good this year and neither has Carey. Both should be end of the bench guys.

Do you watch Harris like this?
Hahaha I just want to win, and Harris just wasn’t helping us do that.
I think the players need to be told to play to their strengths and if they don't have any, learn how to do the little things on the court to help the team win or you sit.

I think each player brings something unique and they can utilize on the court. Some way more than others. I know in game you can lose yourself and try do more than you're capable and play out of control, and that's when the coach should reign you in.

It appears this may have been done in the 2nd half today and hopefully continues this season.
'No Mercy.'
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Win pushed us to #63 in KenPom, 1 spot ahead of the Criers
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Taped the game. So I don’t break my TV again. Loved the results. Can someone please tell Shep to dribble lower. Freakin jr high kids would lick their chops watching his handle. It’s not a difficult fix Coach!

GO RHODY!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Note to self: walking away from the game does wonders for Rhody's performance. (I had to do some stuff around the house when it was 13-5 GMU.)
That was me too.

I think I have missed 4 games including this one for one reason or another. In the 4 games I have missed, Rhody is 4-0.

If I don't watch the game, they automatically win. If I do watch the game, it's closer to 50/50.
Respectfully, please don’t watch anymore games!
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I hear the team will practice Fast Starts at halftime of the next game
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Taped the game. So I don’t break my TV again. Loved the results. Can someone please tell Shep to dribble lower. Freakin jr high kids would lick their chops watching his handle. It’s not a difficult fix Coach!

GO RHODY!
If you watch in reverse, we're up 20 at halftime.
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We obviously improved in the second half.

The cox change of removing Harris was a welcome one. Walker and Mitchell are becoming studs. DJ gives you such a threat that it’s not worth upsetting the front court. Love the change.

Still questioning Ish’s playing time. Nothing but good things happen when that kid is on the floor. He affects so many areas in a good way. Things that don’t show up on the stat sheet - like understanding on the break when there’s bodies ahead of you, that you don’t aimlessly go into contact and throw up the ball - you collapse the defense and find a trailing shooter.

He got an offensive rebound in a precarious spot and did the smart thing and reset the offense.

Both plays that resulted in points.

He’s a high level player that needs to see the floor 20mpg.

Carey is a disaster. For what he gives you with a great cut or offensive play, he cannot be trusted to handle the ball.

Still need to see more of a single PG approach unless Ish is on the floor to start to feel better - but this is a start.

Hopefully this is the start of a rise and not a sentence of .500 purgatory.

Either way. Feels good to see this team play to the level we know they can.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I thought Cox actually did a masterful job coaching this game. He continued to ride the hot hand. First walker. Then Ish played for a long stretch. Then DJ for a long stretch. I also thought Martin did a phenomenal job on their hot scorer in the second half. He has great hands and really aggressive.

It seems like we start off every game slow. As opposed to doing a couple lackadaisical layups during pregame, Cox should have the team scrimmage five on five for about 15 to 20 minutes. The first and second half is like night and day each game.

Two comments. I love how they went to Walker early and often today after the ending of last game. He shook that off quickly and played a great game. Separately, Fatts needs to work on kicking the ball out to the three point shooter on his drives. There was about three times with both Bertran and DJ were open and the better play would be to dish out to the three point shooter ad the defender collapsed in. Hopefully as the season goes on he’ll anticipate positioning of the shooters a little bit better.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Note to self: walking away from the game does wonders for Rhody's performance. (I had to do some stuff around the house when it was 13-5 GMU.)
That was me too.

I think I have missed 4 games including this one for one reason or another. In the 4 games I have missed, Rhody is 4-0.

If I don't watch the game, they automatically win. If I do watch the game, it's closer to 50/50.
Respectfully, please don’t watch anymore games!
I'll try not to.

Sincerely, Rhody "Kiss of Death" Fan 3000
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The Rams did a much better job of taking care of the ball in the second half and therefore won easily. It looked to me like Carey helped take care
of the ball in the second half . These players seem to start games hyped up and anxious resulting in impulsive risk taking with passes and shot selection .Fortunately today they played solid Defense all day and didn't fall too far behind, although they did trail by 11 at one point . If they can begin to settle down a bit they can take advantage of improved shooting and rebounding to get off the win one lose one roller coaster. Let's hope that happens very soon. Annother solid game by Mitchell and Walker . Leggett did not fill the stat sheet , but he did a lot of under the radar stuff like fight for rebounds and
take care of the ball . Really like this kiid. He is going to be special as is Mitchell, I think.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

KB got a mention on twitter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Harris must be hurt. While I agree that he doesn't deserve a lot of minutes right now, do you really think Cox is going to play the walk-ons and have Harris be the only player who doesn't get into the game?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Taped the game. So I don’t break my TV again. Loved the results. Can someone please tell Shep to dribble lower. Freakin jr high kids would lick their chops watching his handle. It’s not a difficult fix Coach!

GO RHODY!
I wonder what ball handling drills they do? With some of these guys it looks like they do not at all. Sheppard looks like he spends all his time practicing shots. I watch Payton Pritchard and know he has put in the time on his handle. It's unfair to compare NBA to college players but the guy is a rookie and the gap is enormous. I like most of our guards ability to create their own shot but creating for others is in short supply. It's like Fatts, Ish and then falls of a cliff.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago KB got a mention on twitter
Put our money where our mouths are? What does that even mean?

Do they want me to bet on the games or do they want me to quit my job, attend URI again, join the team as a 5 10' 47 year-old 2 guard and prove myself? I have 4 years of eligibility, I think.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
'No Mercy.'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago

GO RHODY!
I wonder what ball handling drills they do? With some of these guys it looks like they do not at all. Sheppard looks like he spends all his time practicing shots. I watch Payton Pritchard and know he has put in the time on his handle. It's unfair to compare NBA to college players but the guy is a rookie and the gap is enormous. I like most of our guards ability to create their own shot but creating for others is in short supply. It's like Fatts, Ish and then falls of a cliff.
Great question on drills. I think maybe they only use chairs right now, but maybe time to consider a move up in difficulty?
Like, maybe get some of those shopper stalker robots they have at Stop n Shop?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Harris must be hurt. While I agree that he doesn't deserve a lot of minutes right now, do you really think Cox is going to play the walk-ons and have Harris be the only player who doesn't get into the game?

Playing walk ons at the end on blow outs over scholarship players happens literally all the time.

You really think Cox would embarrass Harris by starting him for two years, playing him 18 minutes a game this year, then put him in with 60 seconds left? Absolutely not.

So you’re calling Cox a flat out liar today when he said it was a coaches decision not to play him?

But continuing making excuses for Harris, it’s all everyone does.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Harris must be hurt. While I agree that he doesn't deserve a lot of minutes right now, do you really think Cox is going to play the walk-ons and have Harris be the only player who doesn't get into the game?
Yeah, he may still be a little banged up and Cox is giving him some rest, wondering if he continues to have some lingering foot issues.
Regardless of the reason, DJ is deserving of more minutes.
I also see 15's point of it being an insult to just send him in at the end for garbage time.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Playing walk ons at the end on blow outs over scholarship players happens literally all the time.

You really think Cox would embarrass Harris by starting him for two years, playing him 18 minutes a game this year, then put him in with 60 seconds left? Absolutely not.

So you’re calling Cox a flat out liar today when he said it was a coaches decision not to play him?

I didn't hear Cox say that. If he said it post-game, I wasn't listening. With Makhel getting 2 fouls in the first half, that would have been the point to put Harris in. He didn't. And Makhel even came back and played in the first half with those 2 fouls. So, that's not taking him out of the rotation. That's a benching.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Someone please tell Mama Mitchell I love her sons. 🙂
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The dunk was great but more important was 2 guys who aren’t bashful passing up good shots for a great one.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

The ball movement was ILL on that play. Great dish by Shep.
- Mr. Rogers
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

From Bill Koch's article:

Sloppy play has led to some uncomfortable film sessions for the Rams over the last two weeks. URI entered Saturday turning the ball over on 21.0% of possessions this season, its worst team mark since the 2006-07 campaign. Those constant visuals can now be replaced by how the Rams hope to look the rest of the way.

“I’ve tried negative reinforcement for the last couple of weeks — making them watch all the turnovers and what it’s led to,” Cox said. “Maybe now I can switch to some positive reinforcement and show them on film what it looks like when we play the right way and take care of the ball.”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

I didn't hear Cox say that. If he said it post-game, I wasn't listening. With Makhel getting 2 fouls in the first half, that would have been the point to put Harris in. He didn't. And Makhel even came back and played in the first half with those 2 fouls. So, that's not taking him out of the rotation. That's a benching.
Taking out of rotation / benching / not playing, it’s all the same
thing.

There were multiple tweets saying not playing Harris was a “coaches decision.”
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Do they want me to bet on the games or do they want me to quit my job, attend URI again, join the team as a 5 10' 47 year-old 2 guard and prove myself? I have 4 years of eligibility, I think.
I still don’t get this “what a message board should be” business we’ve endured the last few years.

This is not a rah, rah blind faith lets support the team when they’re not living up to the expectations place. It’s not a place for people with a personal connection to a player or coach. It’s a place for impartial fans of the program who OBVIOUSLY want the team to win and will be mad when they fall short of that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

While the above all may be true the reality and you know this is that coaches, players and families all read this board.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I still don’t get this “what a message board should be” business we’ve endured the last few years.

This is not a rah, rah blind faith lets support the team when they’re not living up to the expectations place. It’s not a place for people with a personal connection to a player or coach. It’s a place for impartial fans of the program who OBVIOUSLY want the team to win and will be mad when they fall short of that.
Blue Man, it was an obvious "white knighting" of a player's family member by someone on twitter. Of course, a parent/family member will see the game from a different point of view from an alumni or regular fan. They won't be as critical especially if the critique is of their person of interest. After the 4 years, they won't be emotionally tied to the team like "us". I like "us".

KeaneyBlue > Twitter.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago While the above all may be true the reality and you know this is that coaches, players and families all read this board.
I hope they enjoy my witty GIFs.
'No Mercy.'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago While the above all may be true the reality and you know this is that coaches, players and families all read this board.
I must say, your Star Wars gif towards me earlier was top notch. 10/10.
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I must say, your Star Wars gif towards me earlier was top notch. 10/10.
Thanks, this is the only place I use my Marketing degree.
'No Mercy.'
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Just to clear up any confusion here. DNP-CD

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really great 20 minutes of 2h hoops by URI

Yes take Carey out of the rotation or play him 8 minutes tops and play Ish at least 20 minutes

Let’s build a winning streak here
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I agree with her. I get good laugh out of the in game comments and the swing of emotions when i check in at halftime or end of game to see what was mentioned. Very fickle group here and most lean toward the negative reaction.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
I agree with her. I get good laugh out of the in game comments and the swing of emotions when i check in at halftime or end of game to see what was mentioned. Very fickle group here and most lean toward the negative reaction.
I would welcome anyone to visit any other message board for any sports team in the world for an in game thread.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Here's just one snippet from the Mason Board:

"If Greg Calixte plays anymore minutes over Malik Henry I’m going to scream. That stretch in the first half where Greg was in and we gave up a double digit lead was the game. Greg provides nothing on offense, committed terrible fouls and watched his guy blow by him on the pick and roll more than once. There is no point in playing him at this point for anything other than in fouling situations or really bad foul trouble. Give Malik Henry his minutes for experience, he can’t do any worse than Greg."
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
I would welcome anyone to visit any other message board for any sports team in the world for an in game thread.
Ditto.. go on vcu's during and after losing to us. Go on pc's during and after a loss, etc., etc. It's a forum for venting and letting your emotions fly. It's sports. It makes sports fun. It shouldn't be personal. Where else can you rant and rave and come back for more without ramifications. People who take it personally should chill. It's entertainment... I thoroughly enjoy watching the ebbs and flows. Would much rather watch them in person. Hopefully next year.. Rhody Rhody Rhody... 🐏🐏🐏.. 🍺🍺😃
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

You should see some of the NY Giants boards during games the past several seasons. Makes KB look pretty tame imo.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Here's just one snippet from the Mason Board:

"If Greg Calixte plays anymore minutes over Malik Henry I’m going to scream. That stretch in the first half where Greg was in and we gave up a double digit lead was the game. Greg provides nothing on offense, committed terrible fouls and watched his guy blow by him on the pick and roll more than once. There is no point in playing him at this point for anything other than in fouling situations or really bad foul trouble. Give Malik Henry his minutes for experience, he can’t do any worse than Greg."

Carbon copy of my posts with Harris!
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

No you’re wrong man. It’s only us. We’re just unique total assholes who are filled with hatred.

It’s not like being a fanatical supporter of a sports team comes with emotions and reactions, especially during a game.

Where’s DC Rams to tell us that we’re at fault? That we’re idiots for caring as much as we do?

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support our local media. 3 of them covering our game.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Maria M, your points are well taken. My observation is Rhody has, BY FAR, the most talented 1 thru 10 group of players we have ever had. But 20 turn overs a game and 20% from beyond the arch wont win games. That's not the players fault, it's the coaches and Coach Cox is the captain of this ship. If Cox can perform what he has been hired to do, then this will be one team I wouldn't want to face in March.
Go Rhody.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think it means donate to the Athletics at URI
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No you’re wrong man. It’s only us. We’re just unique total assholes who are filled with hatred.

It’s not like being a fanatical supporter of a sports team comes with emotions and reactions, especially during a game.

Where’s DC Rams to tell us that we’re at fault? That we’re idiots for caring as much as we do?
I’ve given up. I’m not reading these threads anymore (per your advice) unless we win, and it will be just the last 2 pages or so. We will never see eye to eye... EVER. Rant on... I’m out.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Reading the final two pages of a game thread will make us "Monday morning QBs". That's me. Once in a great while, I make a half-time post. But, that is not what most of us do when we attend games, or watch games on TV with a few friends. We all act like we are the coach and know what changes need to be made. That's why we love watching games.
NCAAs or Bust!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

For your edification " Put your money where your mouth is " basically means . If you can only afford to donate 5 cents to support URI basketball or if you can afford to donate $ 100,000. and DON'T , THEN SHUT THE F___ UP because you are part of the problem not the solution. !!!! GO FATTS AND GO RHODY
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Taking out of rotation / benching / not playing, it’s all the same
thing.

There were multiple tweets saying not playing Harris was a “coaches decision.”
So, if he's out of the rotation/benched/not playing, and it's an insult to put him in when it's a blowout, he will not see one second of action ever again.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Absolutely amazing how people have been calling for Carey to be out of the rotation, yet wanting Harris and have been questioning why he isn’t playing and saying it has to be an injury or disciplinary and not that he just isn’t good.

Harris didn’t play today because he sucks, has always sucked, and Cox is finalizing realizing we’re better with DJ.

I know it’s going to be tough for everyone to finally admit they’ve been wrong for 3 years and I (along with Blue Man) have been right.
Bing fucking oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago

I think it means donate to the Athletics at URI
I opted to have this year's season ticket money he a donation to the program rather than a refund.