1/9 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/9 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Where was this team that played in the second half?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago You keep harping on your fabricated bullshit, but WHAT FUCKING DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE where my personal allegiances lie!? At the end of the day, I am a fan. I was and still am a Dan Hurley fan. ...and For the 1,768,975th time, I HOLD A DEGREE FROM URI!
Just out of curiosity, what year did you get your degree from URI?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Their fans must HATE us.

9 of 10 against them, multiple wins at their place, and 3 straight A10 tournaments.
All that talk about “restoring order” lol suck our balls. We’re 11-7 all time too.

Byeeeeee

I really can’t blame them either, I would also hate any team who had a record like that against us.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Their fans must HATE us.

9 of 10 against them, multiple wins at their place, and 3 straight A10 tournaments.
All that talk about “restoring order” lol suck our balls. We’re 11-7 all time too.

Byeeeeee

I really can’t blame them either, I would also hate any team who had a record like that against us.
It's crazy that we always play our best basketball against this team. No matter what year it is...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bottle that 2nd half... Give cox credit for starting betrand.. good move.. like martin off the bench for some defensive intensity.. also shortened rotation in 2nd half. Don't recall seeing d j johnson which is ok.. he is a shooter and that's about it.. let's repeat that performance
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago Bottle that 2nd half... Give cox credit for starting betrand.. good move.. like martin off the bench for some defensive intensity.. also shortened rotation in 2nd half. Don't recall seeing d j johnson which is ok.. he is a shooter and that's about it.. let's repeat that performance
Ya DJ played about 5 minutes. Great coaching move to start Betrand.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago We seem to be to VCU to what St. Joe's is to us.
Add Fordham to the list.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

9 assists. NINETEEN turnovers. Fortunately we outrebounded them 41 to 26, got to the line 30 times and shot 57% from 3. Can't win consistently with that many TO's.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

9 rebounds and 0 assists from Fatts.

Didn’t even realize he didn’t have an Assist.
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody surf any chance u taped this game and could post it love watching us beat VCU

And like I said yesterday we live RENT FREE IN THEIR HEADS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Opponents shouldn't play uptempo street ball against URI. Then again, that is their style. We lose nothing when we go to the bench. VCU was worn out in the second half. They lost their legs. Ish had an awful first half, but came back strong in the second.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Wow, nice to not sweat out a win in the last minute'
Yes, Sheppard stills needs to start his +/- was +15, highest on the team, still needs to watch his turnovers.
We outrebounded them 41- 26 great job on the boards.
Shot an amazing 57% from 3 for the game and 48% overall.
We do have better talent and depth which showed in the 2nd half.
I am glad we at least came away with a split in Richmond.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, the good URI team showed up today as opposed to the bad one , fortunately . This was indeed a team win led by Sheppard, Fatts ,Betrand and Leggett . The whole team made contributions including Martin, Harris , Mitchell , Walker and Johnson . Martin , Harris and Leggett especially played
tough in the paint .If only we could get the same thing every game. Going forward there is reason to hope . Sheppard and Betrand may be coming back into their own with renewed confidence . Will it continue ? Stat tuned.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody surf any chance u taped this game and could post it love watching us beat VCU

And like I said yesterday we live RENT FREE IN THEIR HEADS
Haha ya I’ll try to get it up this week if no one else beats me to it
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Today showed chemistry and poise..and coaching . Well done Cox. Players played their respective roles, and it workek, imagine! This is what Chris DiSano was referring too, if the Rams find a way to click, watch out.
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Haven’t read above posts but we are so much better with a quicker pace. VCU brings the best out of us by the way they play. Liked the switch to Bertrand; another scorer in the starting lineup. Nice win hope we can build from it
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

How VCU feels playing us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Mercy.'
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I cannot wait to read there board tonight it’s gonna bring happiness to my face
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago I cannot wait to read there board tonight it’s gonna bring happiness to my face
I usually don’t read other fan bases boards - but most VCU fans I’ve interacted with are douchey, entitled, assholes. I really hate them. I will indulge as well.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Wow, nice to not sweat out a win in the last minute'
Yes, Sheppard stills needs to start his +/- was +15, highest on the team, still needs to watch his turnovers.
We outrebounded them 41- 26 great job on the boards.
Shot an amazing 57% from 3 for the game and 48% overall.
We do have better talent and depth which showed in the 2nd half.
I am glad we at least came away with a split in Richmond.
Absolutely. Shepp is definitely who we thought we were. If we see this kid the rest of the way we will be fine.

Hopefully this is the start and not an anomaly!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This game was tied at 54 with what? Around 12 th play? Then the next thing you know it’s 71-56 so a 17-2 run. Almost let them back in with too much stall ball but VCU couldn’t take advantage.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago I cannot wait to read there board tonight it’s gonna bring happiness to my face
I usually don’t read other fan bases boards - but most VCU fans I’ve interacted with are douchey, entitled, assholes. I really hate them. I will indulge as well.
I returned from the other side. Lol what a bunch of assholes and idiots.

Dave Cox may not be the best coach in the league - but to call him hatable and an asshole is WILD. Cox may be many things, but how far do you have to reach to hate him?

I get people hating Hurley because of his demeanor? But Cox? I feel like he’s a guy on the other sideline that you don’t really hate or like.

They’re insane.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

this is the 4th game in a row we outrebounded our opponent by double digits. Including +6 on offensive boards, that can mitigate some of the TOs.

We committed 41 TOs against Bonnies and VCU and won both games.

The move to Betrand and another ball handler was a good one.

Ish had a tough start and made some careless TOs but that kid is a baller. He is a crafty finisher that knows how to use his body amongst the trees.

Hated the last 5 minutes and poor decision making largely by Fatts and Shepp. We were in the bonus they were way over extended everything should have been going to the hoop and instead we settled for like 4-5 really bad outside shots in a row. Have to clean that up.

Defense was really good today.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Thought we were in trouble when Ish left all those points on the free throw line in the first half but tons of credit to him with the second half he played WELL DONE! His second foul in the 1st half was a tough one as after deflecting the ball he dove on the floor and the VCU guy kind of tripped over him as he was laying on the floor. It was a great hustle play.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

The third foul on Walker was a bad call. The defender clearly moved into his path.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As previously stated Cox needs to work on our delay game with our guards. We start looking for a shot with too little time left on the shot clock.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How bout Walker's second foul? It was just stupidity.

We gotta play smart.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I returned from the other side. Lol what a bunch of assholes and idiots.

Dave Cox may not be the best coach in the league - but to call him hatable and an asshole is WILD. Cox may be many things, but how far do you have to reach to hate him?

I get people hating Hurley because of his demeanor? But Cox? I feel like he’s a guy on the other sideline that you don’t really hate or like.

They’re insane.
Didn’t they think he talked shit in the handshake line when we beat them in the A10 tourney two years ago?

If I remember correctly I think it was that.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I think VCU didn’t even try a zone. That really helped. I’m watching the UMass game now. Will be looking to see if they play one against LaSalle. I’ve only noticed man to man so far.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

VCU fans hate Cox and Dowtin - both from that fluke play with Evans and bc those 2 guys own them. Cant think of two less polarizing guys than those two so it’s an odd fascination.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago As previously stated Cox needs to work on our delay game with our guards. We start looking for a shot with too little time left on the shot clock.
I'm thinking this maybe really isn't at the top of the list of things to do?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not bad scoring production today from our starting guards AB, Shep, and Fatts for 56 points.
I like the Cox move replacing Martin with AB, I like his toughness coming off the bench along with Ish's spark.
Still waiting for Carey to show up and live up to his rating.
Cox didn't waste time pulling DJ, some quick costly turnovers didn't help his cause.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Pot, meet kettle. ;)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Reading their boards after we beat them has become an annual tradition at this point.

Maybe we saw some semblance of an offensive identity today- run things through Fatts, Shepp, Betrand. On paper they are as talented as any other 3 guards in the league.

Malik, Jermaine and Ish off the bench.

Spot minutes for DJ and Carey based on game flow and matchups. DJ specifically can be effective when teams zone us but he’s still a few minutes at a time guy bc he makes too many other mistakes, same for Carey right now. Not writing off Jalen tho bc he has talent, but on this team he has to be the last guard option off the bench. Fatts and Shep have to be out there 25-30 minutes and Ish does too many things well to not find him significant minutes each night.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

As mentioned before, credit Cox for moving Betrand into the starting lineup to give us some offensive spark to start the games, its a much different game when you dont fall behind by a ton as we've been doing with our slow starts. Also need to find more minutes for Ish, its been a real pleasure watching this kid grow and develop this season, his game just gets better and better, you can live with the freshman mistakes for all the good he does when he's on the floor. Carey to me is an enigma, clearly he has all the ability that made him a top recruit, and you see flashes that make you think he could really contribute, but he just cant seem to play with any consistency, his minutes could start going to Ish with the direction they're both heading.

The schedule lines up nicely for at least the next 5 games, would be nice to see this team build on this and go on a nice run.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Every time we beat them I read their game thread and I am disgusted at their web site. There are more ads than content on each page. They have full screen ads you are forced to view. It’s disgraceful.

Then I return back here to a fast, clean ad-free site. It’s made possible by the generosity of the KeaneyBlue community. Thank you!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Martin at the 4 is a difference maker.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Reading their boards after we beat them has become an annual tradition at this point.

Maybe we saw some semblance of an offensive identity today- run things through Fatts, Shepp, Betrand. On paper they are as talented as any other 3 guards in the league.

Malik, Jermaine and Ish off the bench.

Spot minutes for DJ and Carey based on game flow and matchups. DJ specifically can be effective when teams zone us but he’s still a few minutes at a time guy bc he makes too many other mistakes, same for Carey right now. Not writing off Jalen tho bc he has talent, but on this team he has to be the last guard option off the bench. Fatts and Shep have to be out there 25-30 minutes and Ish does too many things well to not find him significant minutes each night.
You can tell Jalen is having confidence issues. Whenever he has a wide open shot, he thinks about it, then drives into 3 defenders in the paint and either turns it over or gets blocked. Jalen is supremely talented, and he’s getting 25+ minutes a game to back it up, but he just hasn’t turned in that stellar performance he’s capable of.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago
Every time we beat them I read their game thread and I am disgusted at their web site. There are more ads than content on each page. They have full screen ads you are forced to view. It’s disgraceful.

Then I return back here to a fast, clean ad-free site. It’s made possible by the generosity of the KeaneyBlue community. Thank you!
Toot, meet horn. :lol:
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Uuuuge win, great job Rams to keep the league title chances alive.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

This was always going to be an odd season. But, if we play the rest of the way like we did today, and no mass exodus at the end of the year, then I will take that as the signs that this program is back on the upswing.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I've been waiting for these guys to play better and I am happy with the game result but that was still some ugly offense. Good shooting from deep makes up for a lot of problems. I loved the effort on defense. I want Cox to continue to give players chances and not banish anyone to the deep bench. I like Ish a lot but think he is getting plenty of minutes for a freshman at least for now. I hope Jalen Carey regains confidence and figures out how to be a productive college basketball player in a supporting role.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great road win. Amazing what a difference it makes when you knock down some 3's.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Toot, meet horn. :lol:
lol. Heckle, meet Jeckle
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support our local media and read up about this outstanding win.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

Seasons best win is and will be Seton Hall unless we can beat St. Louis. Both will hopefully end up quad 1 wins. As many have said this years version of the A10 will be watered down its St Louis and everyone else. So why not Rhody!!!!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

We dominated that game. Wasn’t a time while watching that I felt we were losing control. Still...reading the board after the game, it read like we were losing. Very strange.

Great game by everyone. Offense looked good, defense looked good. Cox rotation was gold. Still need to reduce the turnovers. Nice win.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This was a match-up win. VCU is probably the better team but their style of play is one that we can be successful against. There will be weaker teams whose style of play (zone defense, half-court offense, inside scoring) will give us trouble.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

what a tease that 2nd half is if you're a glass half full guy. But that sure was fun to watch!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago Seasons best win is and will be Seton Hall unless we can beat St. Louis. Both will hopefully end up quad 1 wins. As many have said this years version of the A10 will be watered down its St Louis and everyone else. So why not Rhody!!!!
Based on what? VCU is NET 30 and we beat them on the road. SH is NET 55 at home. VCU is Quad 1 and SH is Quad 2.