Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JH going from a 75% FT shooter to a 36% one has to be a record decline. Never seen anything like it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

still a small sample size that is heavily weighted due to an 0-7 game. I would imagine over course of season those numbers will creep back closer to his career averages.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think in a close game I would rather see Jermaine than Mahkel shooting FTs.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I think in a close game I would rather see Jermaine than Mahkel shooting FTs.
Yes same here
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

It’s actually now statistically impressive how cold Fatts is shooting
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Clearly I love Fatts. But even I can't believe how his outside shot has abandoned him. It's utterly mystifying.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Clearly I love Fatts. But even I can't believe how his outside shot has abandoned him. It's utterly mystifying.
And yet he keeps chucking like he’s Jimmy Baron.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

I pray to God you are joking with that last sentence.
You mean you're not on board with a 'Rhode Island Rams Missed Free Throws Ring of Honor'?
We have a player who is the all time leader in NCAA history for fouls per minute. Why isn't he being recognized? Maybe his face should be on a huge billboard outside of the RC.
Or, on I-95 on a billboard as an advert?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Clearly I love Fatts. But even I can't believe how his outside shot has abandoned him. It's utterly mystifying.
At this point, it’s the only way to break out of the slump and the team isn’t going to win if he can’t break it
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah he is way off from distance though the good news is he seems healthier now ??
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Fatts' approach to the game is truly in the Allen Iverson mold including the rough shooting from outside 20' away, however 3-point shooting is so much more important than 15 years ago. That's why even a huge guy like Giannis A. who can drive to the hoop from the perimeter with only 2 steps, works on his outside shooting religiously. Otherwise the defense can just put a picket fence 10' around the basket to strip the ball and draw charges.

Fatts is so much easier to defend when you can play off the outside shot. Come to think of it, I can't think of the last lights out 3-point shooter who was under 6 feet...maybe there is something to repeatable mechanics that is off when you lack a certain size. Or it is just that your shot arc has to be higher to get over defenders and that does not lend itself to a high percentage.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Fatts shoots like 31 footers. He’s not exactly trying to simplify the game and do better. He’s more chucking from even farther out.

I know ppl don’t like Harris here but I would prefer that he started.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago Fatts shoots like 31 footers. He’s not exactly trying to simplify the game and do better. He’s more chucking from even farther out.

I know ppl don’t like Harris here but I would prefer that he started.
Start over who?
What would your starting line up be?
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Fatts' approach to the game is truly in the Allen Iverson mold including the rough shooting from outside 20' away, however 3-point shooting is so much more important than 15 years ago. That's why even a huge guy like Giannis A. who can drive to the hoop from the perimeter with only 2 steps, works on his outside shooting religiously. Otherwise the defense can just put a picket fence 10' around the basket to strip the ball and draw charges.

Fatts is so much easier to defend when you can play off the outside shot. Come to think of it, I can't think of the last lights out 3-point shooter who was under 6 feet...maybe there is something to repeatable mechanics that is off when you lack a certain size. Or it is just that your shot arc has to be higher to get over defenders and that does not lend itself to a high percentage.
Carsen Edwards comes to mind right away. Guard from Purdue a few years back. He’s now with the Celtics.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Fatts' approach to the game is truly in the Allen Iverson mold including the rough shooting from outside 20' away, however 3-point shooting is so much more important than 15 years ago. That's why even a huge guy like Giannis A. who can drive to the hoop from the perimeter with only 2 steps, works on his outside shooting religiously. Otherwise the defense can just put a picket fence 10' around the basket to strip the ball and draw charges.

Carsen Edwards comes to mind right away. Guard from Purdue a few years back. He’s now with the Celtics.
Yes Carsen REALLY struggled last year shooting with the C's, when you would think based on his Purdue career he'd be a sparkplug off the bench. Defensive play at the NBA level may finally be altering his release and arc from a more consistent college shot.

Edit: You look at a guy who was groomed to be a pro like Steph Curry, he's a little above 6' but a good example. Even though he wasn't often playing great competition at Davidson, he trained hard on having such a quick release point. Then when arriving in the NBA he didn't even have to change things up too much, the defender can be draped all over him and *flip* the ball is halfway towards the basket.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago
At this point, it’s the only way to break out of the slump and the team isn’t going to win if he can’t break it
When he breaks out of this slump we will win games. It is that simple. 2-5 last night and it is a 1 possession game. 0-5 is bad. If you need proof look at the results the last two years, the team is good when Fatts is shooting ok from outside. Jeff and Cyril were able to drag us through some bad shooting games, but that has basically been the story of the team. He is a streaky shooter, it should come back. I hope it is back soon and sticks through the A10 tourney.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

When he breaks out of this slump we will win games. It is that simple. 2-5 last night and it is a 1 possession game. 0-5 is bad. If you need proof look at the results the last two years, the team is good when Fatts is shooting ok from outside. Jeff and Cyril were able to drag us through some bad shooting games, but that has basically been the story of the team. He is a streaky shooter, it should come back. I hope it is back soon and sticks through the A10 tourney.

Yeah it sounds simple as that, but I don’t think alone that will get URI to the winner’s circle repeatedly. Need other things to happen on a consistent basis, on top of Fatts just playing to his normal standards, not out of his mind. In order to overcome some of the shortcomings this team has. I hate to say it, but there’s more and more losses to come. Culture is a powerful word in amateur sports.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

The slump has been a long one.....
After URI lost last season to Brown and Richmond, Cox benched Russell for the home game vs Davidson. Fatts played great off the bench and we went on to win 10 straight games. Then we lost 4 of our last 7 and hopes were dashed. Our last 3 wins included a 1 point win at Fordham (thanks to Toppin's miraculous rebound and outback of a missed FT) and 1 point win at UMASS.

Last 7 games Russell - FG AND 3FG
@ DAYTON (7-18) (1-5)
ST JOE (6-12) (3-6)
@ DAVIDSON (3-17) (2-6)
@ FORDHAM (4-12) (2-6)
ST LOUIS (5-16) (2-7)
DAYTON (2-13) (0-4)
@UMASS (3-12) (1-4)

THIS SEASON:
ASU (3-13) (1-6)
BC (9-20) (2-8)
SOUTH FLA (5-13) (0-4)
USF (4-11) (2-6)
SETON HALL (4-12) (3-4)
WISCONSIN (3-14) (0-4)
WKU (3-8) (0-3)
DAVIDSON (2-11) (0-3)
ST BONAVENTURE (2-9) (1-5)
ST JOE (5-14) (0-3)
RICHMOND (7-17) (0-5)

Over the last 6 games Russell has hit only 1 of 23 3FGs = 4.3% Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand are 10 times that

LAST 7 GAMES OF 2019-20 RECORD = 3 WINS 4 LOSSES
30-100 FG = 30%
11-38 3FG = 28.9%
26-36 FT = 72%

1ST 11 GAMES OF 2020-21 RECORD = 5 WINS 6 LOSSES
47-142 FG = 33%
9-51 3FG = 17.6%
59-70 FT = 84%

3FG% 2020-21
RUSSELL (9-51) = 17.6%
SHEPPARD (17-39) = 43.6%
JOHNSON (14-33) = 46.3%
LEGGETT (3-7) = 42.9%
BETRAND (5-14) = 35.7%

Cox should get more 3FG shots from Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand. Sheppard, Johnson and Leggett are all 43+% and Betrand is clearly capable of hitting 35+%. No reason for Russell to keep launching 3's. Let Russell drive and pass the ball to these excellent 3 point shooters. Yesterday the announcer said "he launched that one from South Kingstown" and there was plenty of time still left on the shot clock. Russell let it go from about 32 feet way - why?????? Russell practices in warm ups launching from half court. I don't see him practicing 3's from the 3 point line.

The shooters are here. Cox did a great job recruiting 3FG Shooters in Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand, however, Cox is not doing a great job getting the ball to them. Cox needs to sit Russell down and review the shooting stats to Russell. For some reason Russell does just what he wants to do. No reason to expect anything to change at this point. I hope I'm not "Waiting til next year", but it is starting to look and feel that way.
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

I totally agree the tape and numbers don't lie. I also recommend looking at Carey Assist to turnover ration. You just can win games against good team trying to carry these boat anchors. At the end of the day in my opinion Fatts and Carey have been a total disappointment this year and need to see their minute cut significantly.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago I totally agree the tape and numbers don't lie. I also recommend looking at Carey Assist to turnover ration. You just can win games against good team trying to carry these boat anchors. At the end of the day in my opinion Fatts and Carey have been a total disappointment this year and need to see their minute cut significantly.
Fatts does bring the energy and our other players feed off of it, so it is important for him to be out there.
I do like some of the intangibles that Carey brings along with his athleticism, he has plenty of talent, just needs to play much smarter.
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Both of those players are extremely inefficient on every level. I agree Fatts brings energy but not always productive or efficient give me Dowtin any day way better its not even close..
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Going old school, Calvin Murphy. Good outside shooter: great free throw shooter. Played the majority of his career prior to the adoption of the three point shot.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But here's the thing...Fatts wasn't the reason we lost last night, and he was the reason we beat SJU. He has 38 points, 14 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals in the last 2 games while shooting close to 40%. Yes he hasn't hit any threes in those games and his season percentage in that dept is putrid, but he is not the issue. Turnovers, lack of defensive intensity, lack of discipline on offense -- those are the reasons we are 5-6.
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

The last two games he shot 35% from the field 0 percent from 3 (0 - 8) he had 12 assists and 6 turnovers. Those stats are not great for a supposed all league player. He is shooting under 18% from three and 33% from the field for the year. I dare to say he has been horrible and a disappointment so far. I know the competitior in him if you asked him would agree and is working hard to play better.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago The last two games he shot 35% from the field 0 percent from 3 (0 - 8) he had 12 assists and 6 turnovers. Those stats are not great for a supposed all league player. He is shooting under 18% from three and 33% from the field for the year. I dare to say he has been horrible and a disappointment so far. I know the competitior in him if you asked him would agree and is working hard to play better.
You do realize that 12 assists to 6 to’s, is a 2/1 ratio. Which is considered to be good. He’s stunk from 3 the last 2 games, actually period. But turnovers have never been his issue.
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

I agree 2 to 1 is good not great. The rest of his stats with the exception of steals are terrible hence we a 5 and 6. I believe Dowtin had over 4 to 1 one year that is great. I believe college basketball is about guard play and the bottom line our guards this year overall have not been good they have been bad.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI is 12th in the A10 in the all important 3FG% Category
60 for 195 = 30.8%
Russell is 9 for 51 for 17.6% having missed 22 of his last 23 3's

Remove Russell and URI is 51 for 144 for 35.4% putting URI 5th behind St Louis (41.0%), LaSalle (39.8%), Davidson (35.9%) and Dayton (35.6%)

His 3P shooting percentage is hurting not only because of the low percentage but also because he leads the team in attempts with 51 which is 26% of the team's attempts. Imagine giving those attempts to Sheppard, Johnson and Leggett who are all above 43%?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He's also getting a bunch of steals again too.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts deserves at least 30 minutes a game and play Ish more too !!
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Fatts is a 28% career shooter from three. The bottom line that is bad!! He is not nor has he been a good shooter consistently over his career.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago I totally agree the tape and numbers don't lie. I also recommend looking at Carey Assist to turnover ration. You just can win games against good team trying to carry these boat anchors. At the end of the day in my opinion Fatts and Carey have been a total disappointment this year and need to see their minute cut significantly.
Fatts does bring the energy and our other players feed off of it, so it is important for him to be out there.
I do like some of the intangibles that Carey brings along with his athleticism, he has plenty of talent, just needs to play much smarter.
Announcer a few games back said Carey didn't make it at Syracuse because of all the turnovers. He has had some good moments with blocked shots, rebounding and shooting but also many bad turnovers. Jury is out on him for me. Lost his starting spot after two games and has not shown the ability to reclaim it.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago I totally agree the tape and numbers don't lie. I also recommend looking at Carey Assist to turnover ration. You can win games against a good team trying to carry these boat anchors. At the end of the day in my opinion Fatts and Carey have been a total disappointment this year and need to see their minute cut significantly.
I wanted Cox to sit Fatts more, but when he does, it usually causes us to have empty possessions and turnovers on the offensive end. When Fatts goes out, teams seem to pressure our guards, and guys like Carey and Shep look uncomfortable. There are so many times when Carey mishandles a dribble or has to pick up his dribble early, which messes up our offense's flow. I love Ish and Betrand, but I think both are better off the ball as slashing 2guards. That's why I'm perplexed about how people think we could be a tournament team next season after we lose Fatts and Shep. You think turnovers are bad now... Get ready for next season.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be shocked if we dance next year Fatts will be gone and the rest of the A10 May be better
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Fatts reminds me of Marcus Smart with his shooting to be honest. For weeks at a time Smart will get ripped for hurting the team with his shooting all the time and not hitting. People will scream for him to get traded. Then all of a sudden he goes on a stretch where he can't miss and everybody flips the narrative and Smart is the biggest reason the C's win. (Yes I know Smart average is much higher than Fatts just seems like a similar trend)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I will be shocked if we dance next year Fatts will be gone and the rest of the A10 May be better
.......I am always shocked when we Dance........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Fatts brings so much to the table for us. We need him on the floor as much as possible. His outside shooting has been bad. Can't debate that. If it does turn around and he finds his shot, we can make a run at the A10. I'm not saying he should shoot a lot of 3's, he just needs to make a much higher percentage.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

How many of Fatts 3's are virtually uncontested shots versus shooting off-the-dribble or shooting from very deep where the defense isn't as extended?

Is there a potential coaching element where they could find a way to not make him so ball-dominant, but find ways to get him more quality looks off-the-ball?

Or is the fear there that Fatts has been a ball-dominant guard for many years and playing more off-the-ball offensively may be seen as a demotion and they lose him completely?
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago How many of Fatts 3's are virtually uncontested shots versus shooting off-the-dribble or shooting from very deep where the defense isn't as extended?

Is there a potential coaching element where they could find a way to not make him so ball-dominant, but find ways to get him more quality looks off-the-ball?

Or is the fear there that Fatts has been a ball-dominant guard for many years and playing more off-the-ball offensively may be seen as a demotion and they lose him completely?

Great point here! Not many, if any are uncontested. Haven’t been the case for Fatts since he was a freshman. But, that comes with the job of being the best player. The defense doesn’t leave you unattended. He’s played off the ball often, when Dowtin was in the program the last few years. I don’t think there was much of a problem with that for him. So to me, it would make great since to run him off some pin downs, elevators, staggers, floppy action, etc to help get some clean catch and shoot opportunities. But the way he’s shooting right now, I’m not sure how much it would help. This would have been the remedy say 5-6 games ago. Today, he just needs to see some go through the net, then get confident again, in order to start running stuff off the ball for him.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago How many of Fatts 3's are virtually uncontested shots versus shooting off-the-dribble or shooting from very deep where the defense isn't as extended?

Great point, but the time to do that was the two previous seasons when Jeff Dowtin was here. I don't know if they have the luxury of him not being ball dominant.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago He's also getting a bunch of steals again too.
Plus he’s getting rebounds too

I’m not saying bench him, I’m saying get the ball in the hands of Johnson, Sheppard, Leggett and Betrand who can all shoot the 3-ball at 43%.

I’m tired of groaning every time Fatts takes a 3.
I’m not blaming Fatts for taking the 3’s while missing 22 of his last 23 for 4% over that past 6 games. This is on the Coaching Staff allowing Fatts to do whatever he wants.
This team has a record of 8-10 over the past 18 games. Not good.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I haven't seen Fatts take it to the hole Vs Richmond that many times in a while. And he was lighting. May have gained a step, but again, he took some wicked deep Steph Curry shots. Shot aint fallin, put the ball on the deck.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or let someone who can shoot at 2 to 3 times a higher percentage shoot it.
Good point guards look to feed the player(s) with the hot hand(s), involve the whole team, lead and prioritize winning.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That's what Chemistry is, know your role and know your teammates role.

Shooters shoot (Shep, Beatrand, DJ)
Slicers slice (Fatts, Carey, Legget, Martin)
Big guys on the block (Mitchell, Harris, Twan)
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leggett can shoot FG, 3FG and FT's
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It does seem like the vast majority of Fatts' three point attempts are from very deep. Wonder if it's become a mental thing with him where he wants to get the shot off prior to the defender getting up on him.

The real deep three point attempts are not helping. Get up to that line Fatts!
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

1/23 is kind of a mental thing too , he needs to see that first one go down then his confidence goes up
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

reef wrote: 3 years ago 1/23 is kind of a mental thing too , he needs to see that first one go down then his confidence goes up
Fatts has always felt like a very momentum based player. Even more so at home getting the crowd into it. Streaky to a fault where clearly in this case nothing is falling. Even this season it feels like he scores in bunches and not really dispersed throughout the game
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts is a great finisher in transition as well as the team's best FT shooter. This is where he gets his points. He's not in a shooting slump; he is just not a good shooter. In the half-court he has many good three-point opportunities because opponents don't respect his outside shot. and they don't want him driving into the paint because this is where he draws contact and gets to the FT line.

Fatts is what he has always been, stop believing that he is going to get hot as an outside shooter. If it happens; it will be short-lived.
NCAAs or Bust!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The Greek kids names would all over NCAA record books.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

He’s not a great 3 point shooter and that’s ok but he’s definitely in a slump, this isn’t typical even for him. Ironically, some of the most iconic shots in this programs history, is Fatts making a 3.
GO RAMS