Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Only a coward, would name call over the internet. I’m a man! I’ll catch you in traffic.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago Only a coward, would name call over the internet. I’m a man! I’ll catch you in traffic.
The one week warrior. GFY.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago Only a coward, would name call over the internet. I’m a man! I’ll catch you in traffic.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“One week warrior” that’s actually kinda funny. U right! Lol lol
But, the question still stands...WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU? We’re still talking about human beings. Young men at that. If he’s hurting or injured, what is coming off the fucking bench gonna do?? Probably should sit down altogether!! That’s the best way to help the team, if he’s injured, to NOT PLAY. Cause he’ll come off the bench and still not be 💯 and end up still not being himself. That make sense to you wise guy??
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
But, the question still stands...WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU? We’re still talking about human beings. Young men at that. If he’s hurting or injured, what is coming off the fucking bench gonna do?? Probably should sit down altogether!! That’s the best way to help the team, if he’s injured, to NOT PLAY. Cause he’ll come off the bench and still not be 💯 and end up still not being himself. That make sense to you wise guy??
I still have no idea what you are talking about. I was responding to posts about Fatts' injuries saying he shouldn't start. Not sure WTF you are talking about.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
Also wise guy, the kid is over 18 and an adult, not a child. He makes his own decisions in life.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This is maybe just me, but I don't think "playing your leading scorer less" is a good strategy.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago This is maybe just me, but I don't think "playing your leading scorer less" is a good strategy.
Did you watch the last game or nah? Cause he was 100% hurting the team with his wasted shots and awful defense.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts is definitely banged up but he is our senior leader we gonna ride or die with him , he will heal up and have big games in January
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago What injury is Fatts dealing with? He looks a little less explosive out there.
Maybe easier to list what injuries he's not dealing with.

One of my biggest sport pet peeves is when coaches use injuries as an excuse for poor play.

A coach should protect his players, but if a kid is healthy enough to play, its one of three things:

1) It's on the player for not playing well
2) It's on the coach for not recognizing the impact of the injury and limiting PT
3) Some combination of the two

There is not a blanket free pass for the player/coach because the player is really banged up. If it's that bad, can appreciate the warrior spirit but shouldn't be playing in the first place and it's on the coach for not recognizing the player doesn't have it and giving him that 30+ mpg anyway.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I didn't take this as an excuse at all... more of a statement of fact. He also said in the same presser that he (Cox) needs to do a better job getting Fatts some better looks.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......read this in the Sunday NY Daily News......”if you are hurt, you don’t play, if you play you are not hurt......”
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago I didn't take this as an excuse at all... more of a statement of fact. He also said in the same presser that he (Cox) needs to do a better job getting Fatts some better looks.
IDK, I feel like when a player has a bad game and a coach comes out and lists all of his injuries/ailments, the coach is looking for fans to give said player a pass for his play. I feel the non-excuse answer there is "If you are healthy enough to step on-the-court, we expect you to play a solid basketball." If the player can't do that, then it's on the coach for getting the player off-the-court or hide him on offense/defense. It reminds me a lot of Gronk on the Pats, when he was injured and fighting to be on-the-field, he became a decoy. BB didn't expect a banged up Gronk to go out and have 10-12 targets, but let him draw coverages and have TB look elsewhere, saving him for key throws in must-have situations.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

something has been wrong with Fatts since last seasons slump until now.
Too many accolades? This seems to happen a lot at URI.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago All I know is this team really needs a true point guard. I will argue there is not one on the roster, and nothing coming in next year either.
The problem is Cox doesn’t believe in a “true PG” which is our whole problem.

Remember he took the ball out of Jeff Dowtin’s hands to run a 2 guard type offense where either guard can key and run the offense and bring the ball up.

Kind of like what Houston did with Harden and CP3. That’s his style.

Problem is that doesn’t really work, especially at a level where great point guards are at a premium.

That’s what cost us the last 2 years and it won’t get any better unless his philosophy changes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......this is the closest yet for anyone to identify/describe the current URI offensive style/system......thx
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Fatts needs to get healthy first and foremost!!!!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Time to have him come off the bench.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Time to have him come off the bench.
Why do you suggest that? Just wondering.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not happening, If he dresses he starts
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This is hands down one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on KB in the ~7 years I've been posting on here.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts will be starting for sure
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......NBA talk for Fatts, for me, is nuts......a nice overseas novetity player......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah let’s just hope he can start to improve and get close to what he was last year
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah let’s just hope he can start to improve and get close to what he was last year
.........gotta ask, on the whole resume, does he make the team better, other than a isolated great game here and there.....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he's nowhere near 100% and won't be for the rest of this season, then don't expect anything different than what we're seeing now.

However does Cox play him less? I doubt it.

I'm not expecting much from this team this season, other than some improvement from certain players.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Has to be a way to nurse that injury. Less minutes, less practice , less something?
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hope my man can get healthy and get back his mojo. Say what you want, but he's the heart and soul of this team.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

He doesn’t look good at all. Injury or not! But, I feel like many here, have been waiting for this to happen with him. Which is sad and stupid, because the team will only go as far as he goes. But he’s definitely a hate em or love kinda player. Apparently most, on a mostly all URI fan site, hate him. Regardless, he NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER. NO EXCUSES ONCE YOU STEP OUT THERE. Gotta live up to the responsibility of being the best player.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I hope my man can get healthy and get back his mojo. Say what you want, but he's the heart and soul of this team.
Agreed! I think the complaining about Daron on this board has always been laughable by our oh so knowledgable couch coaches. Everything sucks for everyone right now.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am a Fatts fan.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This team can’t reach its ceiling if Fatts is not a big part of it. Them the facts. Next season is next season. Fatts is the guy on teams scouting reports, he has to adjust and embrace being a facilitator more than a scorer. And he has to knock down open threes like he had tonight.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The team can win with a 2-9 Fatts with some FTs. The team can not win when he is 2-11 or 3-14. When he is cold, needs to keep the shot attempts down unless there is a chance at drawing the foul.

Fatts may be hurt by the lack of fans more than any other player on the team. He feeds off that energy in his game. He needs to find a way to capture that mojo in a quiet house.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Anyone criticizing Fatts is an ignorant A__HOLE !! H
is 3 years of achievements at URI speak for themselves and if and when he heals you will ALL go from being down to going DOWN ON him at the end of this season in the NCAA Tournament . ALL THE BEST FATTS ! GO RHODY!! Seton Hall trounces Xavier tonight .
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is our senior just throw him out there let him play and live with the results
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago He is our senior just throw him out there let him play and live with the results
.......until I see otherwise, this for me is this team’s identity.......and in those very few words what our offensive system/style seems to be......not gonna change and yes live with the results.......does this approach with what Fatts brings to the table, make for a better table......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts is injured and his injuries are greatly effecting his play. I have to believe that basketball is a very important part of Fatts' life. His play this year is likely to have a major impact on his future in basketball.

I hope DC and Fatts have had a private conversation about what is in Fatts' best interest going forward this season. Fatts' movement and shooting ability have been seriously compromised by his injuries. It may be time to sit Fatts down or greatly limit his playing time to when he can be effective. This isn't about what is best for the team since even with Fatts at 100%, URI would be a long-shot for the NCAAs. From my eyes, Fatts can be effective late in games for his FT shooting as well as spot duty on defense because of his instinct and quick hands, but certainly not for 30+ minutes per game.

I believe that his basketball future will be brighter by playing a reduced role because of injury.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fatts is not a point guard. But as long as he is the point, he is emblematic of a team whose basketball IQ is barely room-temperature. He takes too many bad shots and drives into heavy traffic too often.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago Anyone criticizing Fatts is an ignorant A__HOLE !! H
is 3 years of achievements at URI speak for themselves and if and when he heals you will ALL go from being down to going DOWN ON him at the end of this season in the NCAA Tournament . ALL THE BEST FATTS ! GO RHODY!! Seton Hall trounces Xavier tonight .
I would like to respectfully disagree.

I would also like to see the list of achievements and how they have helped the team win games.

Fatts is capable of being our best player. In this offense he is clearly the most important player.

He has elite point guard skills, but tries to be a combo guard and shooter too much of the time.

When he plays within himself, drives to the rim, gets fouled or passes the ball - he’s elite.

When he tries to be a hero, wants to take a long 3, and forces shots - he irrevocably hurts the team and makes us worse.

Anyone criticizing Fatts’ play isn’t an ignorant asshole, but someone who recognizes how important Fatts is to this team and how good he can be if he just plays a smarter game rather than trying to be a hero.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Because of injuries, Fatts cannot make the plays/shots he is use to making. His game has not adjusted to his injuries. I have a similar problem adjusting to old age - the golf ball just doesn't travel as far. Then again, it doesn't end up where it cannot be found.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To the folks saying Fatts should stick to driving to the rim and passing - it’s not that easy. How does he get downhill on people if they are all sagging off him and clogging the lane awaiting his penetration. That’s what Davidson did. He has to have an outside shot that defenses respect so they have to crowd him, then he can use his speed to get by people and create. The solution to his sluggish play isn’t to just stop shooting from the perimeter altogether, the solution is he breaks out of this funk and gets his percentages back to career averages from 2p/3p. Last night I think he had 2 “bad” shots, we can live with that. It was the turnovers which were a new issue for him this season.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think Fatts has played a lot more within himself lately. Just can't make a shot! The dude is missing layups left and right too.

He just needs to see some of the shots fall at this point.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

At lot of the problems are they put a big physical guard on him say 6 foot 2 and it’s hard for him to go by him as help defenders are also coming plus he can’t make a 3 which makes things worse
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Fatts is playing hurt, that's clear. Fatts has also had this expectation floating around in head head that he shoould be scoring a ton of points. Remember Hurley telling everyone that Fatts would be the leading scorer in the conference not once, but maybe twice? I know it's hard for me to shift gears in my own life, I'm sure it's even harder for Fatts to switch gears too.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Blue Man , May I I remind you that Fatts is currently on 2 of the most prestigious NCAA watch lists because of his achievements over the past three seasons at URi !!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts is definitely hurting out there but I think he may get it going v Joes , I am expecting at least 18
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man , May I I remind you that Fatts is currently on 2 of the most prestigious NCAA watch lists because of his achievements over the past three seasons at URi !!!
I understand that. I still don’t get how those lists have directly translated to us winning games.

I love Fatts. He is capable of being our best player. But 3 and a half years into his career, it’s not like he has “won” us more than a handful of games. Freshman year he had the PC breakout game, he had the NCAA steal and shot against Trey Young. Sophomore year he had the Harvard shot and the 41 points at St Joes.

He is the ultimate peaks and valleys type player, but through this point his valleys last significantly longer than his peaks.

Unfortunately I can remember far more games that his selfish hero ball has cost us games.

He is too important to this team’s success to try to be anything other than himself - meaning he needs to act as a point guard and not try to be LeBron or Iverson. He’s not either of those guys; he’s Fatts.

The rest of this year I would just love to see him lean into being a point guard rather than trying to do everything. That’s the only chance we have of being good.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

He needs to continue driving to the basket. I feel like he started the year off taking it to the hoop and has backed off a bit. He needs to get that game going again and take his 3s within the flow. Not sure if it is his injury preventing him from driving more but i think he needs to take it to the basket and get the other team in foul trouble. Hoping that playing St Joes might get him going emotionally.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Blue Man. Not defending his play, but in one line you say he has cost us more games than he's helped, but then you say he's too important to this team. I'm confused. Is he good for our team or not?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RAM67 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man. Not defending his play, but in one line you say he has cost us more games than he's helped, but then you say he's too important to this team. I'm confused. Is he good for our team or not?
There’s no sense in trying to decipher NONSENSE.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
RAM67 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man. Not defending his play, but in one line you say he has cost us more games than he's helped, but then you say he's too important to this team. I'm confused. Is he good for our team or not?
There’s no sense in trying to decipher NONSENSE.
I've said the same thing the last 4 games.