12/30 | St. Bonaventure | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Re: 12/30 | St. Bonaventure | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

At what point did we go from recognizing this would be an up and down year to "we should be competing for an A-10 championship this year or Cox should be fired". Take a deep breath, look at reality, and take a step back
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago A couple of people here are fans of the coach. The rest are fans of the team and of our school.
I’ll bite, because that’s supposed to be a shot (even though a hold a degree from URI) and let’s say that is the case, DONT WE ALL WANT THE SAME THING!?!? To win games, be successful and go to the tourney EVERY YEAR?! That is a given.

Again, some of you can’t stand that we simply don’t all operate or cheer for a team the same way! Nevermind what our individual motives, allegiances are because I honestly love the entire team. Growing pains are exactly that. PAINS!!!
So, it's not a coincidence that you joined the forum when Cox came here?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago A couple of people here are fans of the coach. The rest are fans of the team and of our school.
I’ll bite, because that’s supposed to be a shot (even though a hold a degree from URI) and let’s say that is the case, DONT WE ALL WANT THE SAME THING!?!? To win games, be successful and go to the tourney EVERY YEAR?! That is a given.

Again, some of you can’t stand that we simply don’t all operate or cheer for a team the same way! Nevermind what our individual motives, allegiances are because I honestly love the entire team. Growing pains are exactly that. PAINS!!!
What kind of life do you have where these are the types of things you take note of, harbor and express. Truly pathetic, and I won’t even dignify that dumb ass question with an answer.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Who cares?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What kind of life do you have where these are the types of things you take note of, harbor and express. Truly pathetic, and I won’t even divinity that dumb ass question with an answer.
Ummm...it says it right over there-----------> Joined: 6 years ago.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago

Who cares?
Exactly, Blue. Bar none the dumbest thing I’ve heard.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who cares?
Then prove it by criticizing him when he screws up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’ve always said the Rhody hoops fan community is too small to run folks off or question their loyalty. Who cares if people are here bc they support the coach, or support a certain player...end of day everyone wants Rhody dubs and that’s all that matters.

There have been some blatant trolls and negative forces that have come on here through the years, those are the people we can do without. DC over GBG any day of the week.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have the right to call out the team, coach, program, etc when they screw up.

That's what this forum is for...everyone is different and has different views.

I call things as I see them....and what I'm seeing simply isn't acceptable based on the expectations for this program.

A few here insist oh give it time, it will all be seashells and balloons sooner or later, like they think they know it will be.

Well we don't know that, do we? Whether some like it or not, things might not work out.

Yeah I hope they do too, but I don't share the blind optimism some have.

We can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't put that talent in the best place to succeed, in other words coaching, what does it mean?

NOTHING.

If this team doesn't substantially improve by the end of next season, we need a new staff. I'm sticking to that, no matter what the sunshine boys think.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Who cares?
Then prove it by criticizing him when he screws up.
You clearly read what you want to read. Adding another to my ignore list. Thanks.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The Sunshine Boys is what you get when you mix what is left over from the Beach Boys with what is left over from KC and Sunshine Band.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yesterday I was doing an MRI on this lady a little bit older than me, and she said she wanted to listen to Air Supply. So, I put on their top 4 songs back to back during her scan. The young tech I was with said, I never heard of Air Supply, are they just these two guys (on the screen on youtube)? I said, those are the lead singers, I believe they are from Australia. They are kind of like Hall and Oates except for Air Supply, the shorter brunette guy is the lead singer and the taller blonde guy sings back up and vice versa for Hall and Oates.

She said, um, I never heard of Hall and Oates either.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago The Sunshine Boys is what you get when you mix what is left over from the Beach Boys with what is left over from KC and Sunshine Band.
I thought George Burns and Walter Matthau. 8-)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I’ve always said the Rhody hoops fan community is too small to run folks off or question their loyalty. Who cares if people are here bc they support the coach, or support a certain player...end of day everyone wants Rhody dubs and that’s all that matters.

There have been some blatant trolls and negative forces that have come on here through the years, those are the people we can do without. DC over GBG any day of the week.
Not trying to run anybody off. Just looking for some honesty.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago ... seashells and balloons ...
Nice Al McGuire reference!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I do NOT agree with those who are happy with mediocrity.

And right now, that's what we've got..

Could it change? Yes.

Will it? That's the 64 thousand dollar question.
But being happy with mediocrity and understanding how we got here are different things, true?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

St Bonaventure is no joke......they have....in my opinion....the best coach in the league

He gets players to agree to attend college in Olean....and they almost always get better when they get there...and they play smart and aggressive defense.....and they get better every year as the season progresses.....they are always playing their best in March....

Any win over the Bonnies is a good win.

Two weeks to prepare is also two weeks of rust....mix in the exams and the melancholy of the holidays torched by COVID...and we should take what we get

My sentiment is that this is season in limbo.....how many teams will make it to the finish unscathed?

No consistency to anything and a very stressful start to our non-con schedule with changes to the schedule and packing so many games into so few days

I will enjoy every win and lament every loss but not with the depth of previous seasons.....and hopefully future seasons..

Finally.....many here have strong differing opinions about the coach, the team and each other.....but I know for a fact that if we were on the road....watching the Rams play in the NCAA tournament....we would all be at the same bar together drinking and celebrating....or drinking and crying....all together as good friends....I have seen it myself....I know we will see it again

Happy New Year to the RamFam !!!!!
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago St Bonaventure is no joke......they have....in my opinion....the best coach in the league

He gets players to agree to attend college in Olean....and they almost always get better when they get there...and they play smart and aggressive defense.....and they get better every year as the season progresses.....they are always playing their best in March....

Two weeks to prepare is also two weeks of rust....mix in the exams and the melancholy of the holidays torched by COVID...and we should take what we get

My sentiment is that this is season in limbo.....how many teams will make it to the finish unscathed?

No consistency to anything and a very stressful start to our non-con schedule with changes to the schedule and packing so many games into so few days

I will enjoy every win and lament every loss but not with the depth of previous seasons.....and hopefully future seasons..

Finally.....many here have strong differing opinions about the coach, the team and each other.....but I know for a fact that if we were on the road....watching the Rams play in the NCAA tournament....we would all be at the same bar together drinking and celebrating....or drinking and crying....all together as good friends....I have seen it myself....I know we will see it again

Voice of reason, great post
Everyone have a Happy and Healthy New Year
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago St Bonaventure is no joke......they have....in my opinion....the best coach in the league

Word.

Most eloquently stated too!

Relax and enjoy watching Rhody hoops! Happy New Year to all!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bra-Vo!

Well said.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Bra-Vo!

Well said.
Agree wholeheartedly with these sentiments. This year is a blessing; just happy we have games to watch and a team to root for; for better or worse.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree we are fortunate to see our Rams play as many games as they have. So we can all agree that next season we should receive a bid? No excuses. No mulligans. As for this year let's hope we see some progress and Fatts gets out of this epic slump. If he does we could be scary..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I agree we are fortunate to see our Rams play as many games as they have. So we can all agree that next season we should receive a bid? No excuses. No mulligans. As for this year let's hope we see some progress and Fatts gets out of this epic slump. If he does we could be scary..
Wholeheartedly agree
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I’ve always said the Rhody hoops fan community is too small to run folks off or question their loyalty. Who cares if people are here bc they support the coach, or support a certain player...end of day everyone wants Rhody dubs and that’s all that matters.

Sorry, it's the interweb.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Sorry, it's the interweb.
Hah. Remember back in the early 90's when the interweb was coming out? "Don't believe a word you read on it cause anyone can say anything". Still holds true to this day.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Here is where I got my expectations:

“I have always had the drive inside of me to do more, to achieve and to excel,” Cox said. “Nothing will change that mindset moving forward. We have won Atlantic 10 championships and NCAA tournament games in the last two years. That is now the bar. Moving forward, our goal is to repeat as A-10 champions, get back to the NCAA tournament and make an even deeper run. Year after year, we are going to recruit at the highest level possible and continue to attract top-100 players, high-major players and players with high character who fit our culture.”

Soooo - are we falling short or what?
Blueman, you're crazy!!! You want success? A bid? A championship?!!! Are you taking crazy pills!! This isn't Dan Hurley's team anymore. We are back to being Jim Baron. Expectations need to be lower. The goal is now NIT. If we end up in the top four, we should be happy. If he recruits guys that underachieve it's not his fault. Oh, and if our entire team transfers, it's not his fault either. If you disagree, you're labeled as a crybaby and a bad fan. This is our program now, so get used to it.
Crazy, I can have an opinion. You love his type of fandom, I despise it. To each his own.
Yeah boo! Fans who have expectations and are emotionally invested in their teams are the worst! Fans who react to the positive and the negative with visceral and emotional reactions should be despised! It’s almost like these people are fanatics! And on an internet message board dedicated to fanatical tirades?? For shame!!

Don’t be a fan like me people - spare yourselves!

Don’t donate, don’t invest your emotions, don’t care about doing well - just be happy that we have a basketball team!! Cmon guys, why do we need to perform at a high level?? We’re just happy to be here!!!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Blue Man. I do all those things you list. This year seems different to me.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree Ramulous......I didn't expect them to dance this season, even if there IS one. I expected spotty and disjointed play to some extent especially early.

But I am disappointed that they don't seem to be improving and that includes the coaching.

That doesn't bode well for next season at this point. Sure there's time to turn it around, but until I see it, I will continue to express my concern.

I'm not convinced that Cox is the man for the job. Of course I hope he is, everyone should know that. But right now that's all there is....hope.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox is gone whether he get's us to the NCAAT or not. Name a coach who stayed here long term after getting to the tournament. You can't. Cox is on a short leash as all coaches here should be. Get to the tournament or be gone.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe after next year that will be the case, this year we need to show improvement and next year you hope to be dancing if not then we will be stuck in mediocrity
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And with the new transfer rules, it doesn't blow up your program to get a new coach. Look at this year. The only player Cox recruited out of high school that is playing is Leggett. After 3 years. And he's a freshman.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago At what point did we go from recognizing this would be an up and down year to "we should be competing for an A-10 championship this year or Cox should be fired". Take a deep breath, look at reality, and take a step back
This is spot on. We’re two games in. Gonna be a choppy one. Let’s see how the season goes.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Transfers are eligible immediately. Coaches can be replaced on a dime.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

With the new transfer rule, you no longer need to give a coach 4 years anymore. The dynamics has changed.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

With the new transfer rules (none), you need to be as much GM as coach.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

St. Bonaventure win probably feels a little bit better after watching this SB/Richmond game...
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago With the new transfer rule, you no longer need to give a coach 4 years anymore. The dynamics has changed.
But they do, unless they get in trouble or the bottom completely falls out and we are not a blueblood program
As discussed many times, you aren't going to attract quality recruits if they don't sense stability in the program. The coaches relationship with the recruit and his family plays a big part in their decision.
Kids don't choose schools with the thought they are going to leave in a year.
Also transfers won't want to come to a school where they feel the coach may be gone soon. Remember the no- sit rule is a one time deal, they don't want to go through the process again, the clock will be ticking on them.
Regardless of what you may think, Cox's leash isn't that short right now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago With the new transfer rule, you no longer need to give a coach 4 years anymore. The dynamics has changed.
But they do, unless they get in trouble or the bottom completely falls out and we are not a blueblood program
As discussed many times, you aren't going to attract quality recruits if they don't sense stability in the program. The coaches relationship with the recruit and his family plays a big part in their decision.
Also transfers won't want to come to a school where they feel the coach may be gone soon. Remember the no- sit rule is a one time deal, they don't want to go through the process again, the clock will be ticking on them.
His leash is short. He is playing transfers and any coach can do that. The question is, can he devise a game plan to make them play together? So far, no.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Cox is gone whether he get's us to the NCAAT or not. Name a coach who stayed here long term after getting to the tournament. You can't. Cox is on a short leash as all coaches here should be. Get to the tournament or be gone.
How about Skinner, he stayed 4 years after we made it to the round of 32 and would of much longer if the administration was willing to take care of him and invest in the program. Also Jack Kraft ended up retiring from here.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Cox is gone whether he get's us to the NCAAT or not. Name a coach who stayed here long term after getting to the tournament. You can't. Cox is on a short leash as all coaches here should be. Get to the tournament or be gone.
How about Skinner, he stayed 4 years after we made it to the round of 32 and would of much longer if the administration was willing to take care of him and invest in the program. Also Jack Kraft ended up retiring from here.
Kraft got sick and never coached again.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
His leash is short. He is playing transfers and any coach can do that. The question is, can he devise a game plan to make them play together? So far, no.
Only to you Blue. I guarantee its not with Thorr. Too soon for that talk come back in a year and it may be worth having.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Don't know how long you mean by short leash and getting the transfers to gel takes time. Especially this year with little practice time and last minute schedule changes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Kraft got sick and never coached again.
I know, he did stay for 2 more years though and if he hadn't got sick probably much longer, which is the point.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Only to you Blue. I guarantee its not with Thorr. Too soon for that talk come back in a year and it may be worth having.
I know BAR. But dynamics have certainly changed. With the transfer rules, a coach can come in and get a full team on transfers available day 1. But I get it. I'm patient. But only so.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........I do wonder what level of importance the new URI President will have on the capability of Athletics, especially basketball, to further grow the URI brand nationally and internationally........I think that unknown is important for the potential success of any future Coach......My experience is that Dr. Dooley got it......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ........I do wonder what level of importance the new URI President will have on the capability of Athletics, especially basketball, to further grow the URI brand nationally and internationally........I think that unknown is important for the potential success of any future Coach......My experience is that Dr. Dooley got it......
Tom Ryan is on the selection committee. I think we are good.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ........I do wonder what level of importance the new URI President will have on the capability of Athletics, especially basketball, to further grow the URI brand nationally and internationally........I think that unknown is important for the potential success of any future Coach......My experience is that Dr. Dooley got it......
.......OK, good, there was a questionnaire/survey type instrument that was sent out by the search committee to a selected audience regarding the potential new president, and priorities which did include athletics.......wonder how that will play beyond Tom Ryan.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
.......OK, good, there was a questionnaire/survey type instrument that was sent out by the search committee to a selected audience regarding the potential new president, and priorities which did include athletics.......wonder how that will play beyond Tom Ryan.......
Tom is running the Foundation and the search for a new President. He is our biggest benefactor. If we can't trust him, we are fooked. I have to trust him. I think we all do at this point.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good points with the transfer rule that lessens the coach long term security. Let’s see where we are next season at this point
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

First off let's see where we are around 6:30 tomorrow night......