12/13 | Western Kentucky University | 12:00 PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/13 | Western Kentucky University | 12:00 PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

“Loaded with upside” is a neat way of saying raw and in Jacobs case just a good athlete. As I stated earlier everyone’s optimistic because of Obi that his brother will breakout into this unstoppable player too (maybe but who knows right). In terms of current value he clearly hasn’t improved much year over year - can barely get minutes on the worst Kentucky team of the Calipari era (not to mention the minutes he’s seen have been extremely inefficient)

Long story short he was a fine player, and could have been a serviceable player in a 4 year stay here. Right now he would be somewhere in the 8-10th best player in our rotation
I wouldn't dismiss Toppin, his minutes have been increasing at Kentucky (18 min. last game at Notre Dame). He plays behind Brandon Boston, Terrence Clarke, and Isaiah Jackson all 5*Rivals recruits and two were McDonald's All Americans. We start Malik, how would you compare them?
Jacob may not be as successful as his brother but he would certainly be better than 8-10 player in our rotation as you stated.
Realistically Malik shouldn’t be starting either so I consider that somewhat of a moot point. I wouldn’t be giving him minutes over fatts, shep, Carey, Walker, ish, Mitchell twins (different positions anyways), Johnson (far better shooter than toppin). So here we are - he’d slot into the bottom 3 with Malik and Jermaine. Also known as 8-10.

To circle back to how this started, this isn’t a knock on Toppin. Someone said Cox needs to explain himself for losing the transfers he did. My point is I prefer the talent we picked up in that “exchange”
Overall, I think Cox did an excellent job overhauling this roster and replacing the transfers, and I prefer the balance on this team. I do think he could of been a starter on this team, a lot of advantages having an athletic 6'9""wing, that can handle the ball, shoot, and post up. If not starting, Cox certainly would of had him on the floor sooner than 8-10 off the bench.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hate we lost this game, but WKU is just a very similarly matched opponent. Would have helped at the end of the year but isn’t going to hurt the resume either. I think we should push for another home and home with them.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

With all the supposed big man depth and talent on this team, Fatts is currently third on the team in rebounds per game.

That is alarming.

Don't try and justify it with minutes played blah blah blah. When your 5 foot nothing point guard is third on the team in rebounds with five players 6'7 or taller in the rotation, that should not happen.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With all the supposed big man depth and talent on this team, Fatts is currently third on the team in rebounds per game.

That is alarming.

Don't try and justify it with minutes played blah blah blah. When your 5 foot nothing point guard is third on the team in rebounds with five players 6'7 or taller in the rotation, that should not happen.
Cox did say in one of his recent interviews that his biggest concern in practice is our rebounding and that is what we need to work on the most.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With all the supposed big man depth and talent on this team, Fatts is currently third on the team in rebounds per game.

That is alarming.

Are there rebounds being left on the table? Yes. Is ignoring minutes played cherry picking for stats? Also yes. Per 40 rebound numbers below:

Makhi - 12.0
Walker - 10.9
Makhel - 8.7
Harris - 8.5
DJ - 7.4
Fatts - 4.6

If anything this confirms rebounds are being distributed probably how they should be.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That is alarming.

Are there rebounds being left on the table? Yes. Is ignoring minutes played cherry picking for stats? Also yes. Per 40 rebound numbers below:

Makhi - 12.0
Walker - 10.9
Makhel - 8.7
Harris - 8.5
DJ - 7.4
Fatts - 4.6

If anything this confirms rebounds are being distributed probably how they should be.
Way to use actual facts to back up your argument. Thank you.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

That is alarming.

Makhi - 12.0
Walker - 10.9
Makhel - 8.7
Harris - 8.5
DJ - 7.4
Fatts - 4.6
rebs.
Way to use actual facts to back up your argument. Thank you.
The bigger point should be, with our depth up front, that out of 7 games we only had a rebounding advantage in one game, surprisingly Wisc. Also if you look at the average over this period it works out to be about negative 3 rebs. (compared to opponents) per game.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Definitely gonna be a war

68-65 WKY
Reefstradamous.
Oh my I had totally forgotten thanks Pete for pointing that out , probably the only time I will ever nail a prediction like that !!
Your odds of nailing that were probably 1 and some odd million!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any news on Mitchell/Fatts?
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Any news on Mitchell/Fatts?
This is from Makhi's mom.

Good morning Rhody Fam
Update on Makhi, he hyper extended his left knee. Last night he said he can bend his knee but his leg is swollen. So today he's going to get a MRI done and make sure everything is ok. Thanks for the calls and text messages and dmsRaising handsRevolving heartsRamBasketball
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago 😂😂😂 now the verdict is out on the coach?!

7 games in with a new roster...some of the shit here never ceases to amaze me. Sure, Let’s take NOTHING else into account to include these teenage age mood swings.

He has literally seen these guys play as a team as many times as we have. Not all changes are cut & dry, unless you’re in the film room. Basketball has way more intricacies than seen on the surface.

I am unhappy with EVERYONE right now on the team. How many WINNING TEAMS do the things that we do? Miss open bunnies, miss clutch free throws, turn the ball over? NOT MANY, right? If your in the position to make those plays, and you miss, they are forgotten. Guys have to make the winning plays, winning pass, winning rebound. We know the guys are highly capable of it....

To say Coach isn’t an X and O’s guy is a discredit to all those Hurley years we begged for Cox to be on every scout.

I’ll stop rambling, but again, one game during an anomaly of a season, to say the least. is not an indictment Cox, or the kids. Refer to Kentucky being 1-4....that is NOT a 1-4 roster....but it is. We are capable of better, as are they. (No, I am not comparing us to KY or Cox to Cal, I’m not that jaded)
Not for anything DC, but Cal and Cox are not even worth mentioning in the same sentence, forget trying to loosely connect their starts. As you seemed to indicate, Cal has made 9 out of 10 tournaments at Kentucky, has made 7 Elite 8's at Kentucky, has made 4 Final Fours at Kentucky, etc.

Kentucky obviously should have a better record, but Coach Cal has a proven track record that this is just a blip on the radar.

What has Cox done? What has David Cox done to prove his in-game coaching acumen is enough to succeed at a high level? How are fans supposed to know whether this is just a blip, or whether Cox can get them to the next level? You can't possibly know that, because it's never happened.

This was my point in the other thread -- First year, fine. Year two, had them in position to make the tournament and they choked their at-large chances away and were an auto-bid candidate before the season was cancelled. Now it's year three. Does Cox deserve a longer leash than this? Sure. But what has he done to warrant that blind hope on the court besides your personal opinion?

If DCRams, David Cox, or anyone else wants fans to blindly follow and believe, he needs to prove he can hit the expectations that he himself set. At this point, he hasn't done it. Doesn't mean he can't, just that he's not going to get much leash until he does.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Any news on Mitchell/Fatts?
This is from Makhi's mom.

Good morning Rhody Fam
Update on Makhi, he hyper extended his left knee. Last night he said he can bend his knee but his leg is swollen. So today he's going to get a MRI done and make sure everything is ok. Thanks for the calls and text messages and dmsRaising handsRevolving heartsRamBasketball
Great to know. At first it looked like / we all probably thought it was an ACL, but once he was back on the bench in a brace, I figured it wasn’t that. Let’s hope it’s a quick and easy recovery.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

7 games in with a new roster...some of the shit here never ceases to amaze me. Sure, Let’s take NOTHING else into account to include these teenage age mood swings.

He has literally seen these guys play as a team as many times as we have. Not all changes are cut & dry, unless you’re in the film room. Basketball has way more intricacies than seen on the surface.

I am unhappy with EVERYONE right now on the team. How many WINNING TEAMS do the things that we do? Miss open bunnies, miss clutch free throws, turn the ball over? NOT MANY, right? If your in the position to make those plays, and you miss, they are forgotten. Guys have to make the winning plays, winning pass, winning rebound. We know the guys are highly capable of it....

To say Coach isn’t an X and O’s guy is a discredit to all those Hurley years we begged for Cox to be on every scout.

I’ll stop rambling, but again, one game during an anomaly of a season, to say the least. is not an indictment Cox, or the kids. Refer to Kentucky being 1-4....that is NOT a 1-4 roster....but it is. We are capable of better, as are they. (No, I am not comparing us to KY or Cox to Cal, I’m not that jaded)
Not for anything DC, but Cal and Cox are not even worth mentioning in the same sentence, forget trying to loosely connect their starts. As you seemed to indicate, Cal has made 9 out of 10 tournaments at Kentucky, has made 7 Elite 8's at Kentucky, has made 4 Final Fours at Kentucky, etc.

Kentucky obviously should have a better record, but Coach Cal has a proven track record that this is just a blip on the radar.

What has Cox done? What has David Cox done to prove his in-game coaching acumen is enough to succeed at a high level? How are fans supposed to know whether this is just a blip, or whether Cox can get them to the next level? You can't possibly know that, because it's never happened.

This was my point in the other thread -- First year, fine. Year two, had them in position to make the tournament and they choked their at-large chances away and were an auto-bid candidate before the season was cancelled. Now it's year three. Does Cox deserve a longer leash than this? Sure. But what has he done to warrant that blind hope on the court besides your personal opinion?

If DCRams, David Cox, or anyone else wants fans to blindly follow and believe, he needs to prove he can hit the expectations that he himself set. At this point, he hasn't done it. Doesn't mean he can't, just that he's not going to get much leash until he does.
We are now at a point where the PC fans need to come to our board and set it straight. 2020 continues to amaze.

No one is saying Cox can't be the guy. But we are falling short of the expectations he himself has set. Dissecting or criticizing that isn't akin to treason or not being a fan.

I think Cox is a brilliant basketball mind. Potentially one of the best we've had here. I think his in-game strategy, time-out usage, and minutes distribution warrant criticism as of right now. I think the team has come out disgustingly flat in too many big games that it's a worrying trend that needs to be fixed. It's pretty much a blanket opinion on this board that Fatts needs to be reigned in and is killing us.

One of Hurley's biggest problems was that our assistant coaches pool isn't large enough to keep someone as talented as Dave in that role. Dave is a great yin to someone like Hurley's yang. Dave needs someone like Hurley in his number one chair if he is going to be successful.

The Hurley/Cox relationship worked because Cox had a polar-opposite demeanor to Hurley. Dave could also balance out Hurley's "we only do x, y, z" with a different perspective - like the need to switch to a zone once in a while.

Either way, Dave needs someone to challenge his norms because it's clear that they are not working as of right now.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Amazing post RJ...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Totally disagree, you completely missed my point and took it exactly the way you weren’t supposed too, but appreciate calm and rationale perspective.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I hate we lost this game, but WKU is just a very similarly matched opponent. Would have helped at the end of the year but isn’t going to hurt the resume either. I think we should push for another home and home with them.
This game will hurt along with going 3-4 OOC. A10 teams need quality OOC wins to support their resume.
The BC game will be a bad loss.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Totally disagree, you completely missed my point and took it exactly the way you weren’t supposed too, but appreciate calm and rationale perspective.
I’m captain rationale, what can I say 😂

I think the problem is that you as a fan give a lot of deference to Cox and the players. Even in your same post above, you made the comment:

“ Guys have to make the winning plays, winning pass, winning rebound. We know the guys are highly capable of it....”

I’m assuming you believe it, my criticism of that would be, how do you?

Outside of Fatts, who has a track record of making winning plays?

You can like the pieces (there is a ton of potential) but not know how it all clicks because of inexperience.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

If you watch the replay #22 Mitchell is watching and not boxing out as CB blows him for the winning tip in.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bwerner10 wrote: 3 years ago If you watch the replay #22 Mitchell is watching and not boxing out as CB blows him for the winning tip in.
You either forgot a word...or, we were watching a different game....
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ....I think Bill Parcells said, “ you are what your record says you are......”. But previous point regarding his quote is valid here I would say.......record can get much better, as someone pointed out, and let’s let the A-10 sked get under way, and see where we are in February.......I also like the line up and distribution of minutes that was suggested here......Go Rhody

Agree with this take; 3-4 against the schedule we played, with all the new faces, is not unexpected IMO.

Also agree with BAR about going to 3 guard lineup; especially if Bertrand becomes eligible, and is as good as people think he is.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh crap awful news
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
bwerner10 wrote: 3 years ago If you watch the replay #22 Mitchell is watching and not boxing out as CB blows him for the winning tip in.
You either forgot a word...or, we were watching a different game....
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago DC was gifted the #1 recruiting class when he took over 3 years ago. That class no longer exists and we are sitting at 3-4 in OOC. He's either going to be a miracle worker, and get us to the NCAAT this year, or he's going to be a head coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.
I don't know about #1 class, who knows how these recruits work out. We certainly lost a lot more (graduates) that year, than we gained:
Brendan- Decommitted and followed Hurley
Dana - He turned out to have off court issues as we now know.
Tyrese - Left, followed DH
JH - Still here, been battling injuries and hasn't quite lived up to expectations.
This year being as it is, our expectations should be tempered., injuries may also play a part.
Cox will get a contract extension. Just recently most on this board felt he needs a pay increase.
Hopefully we get the facility improvements soon, that will be a major step forward in helping to grow our program.
David Cox should not get at this point, and does not yet deserve, a contract extension. The team underachieved in year one. That should have been an NIT team that saw the core of Jeff, Fatts, Cyril and the best Rhody recruiting class in the history of our school gel and get some tournament experience. Last year we underachieved as well. That was a team that was supposed to go dancing and we were in position to do that until the Baron era collapse. He's shown that he's a great representative of our program as a person and he's great at bringing in talent. He's also shown that he's a poor in game coach and he's maybe the worst coach in the country at keeping talent on the team once it gets on campus. In other words, he's still a great head assistant coach and probably not a good head coach. That's not the record of someone you tie up any longer. There should be no contract extension unless and until we make the NCAA tournament, and you'd think that if any fanbase in this country would understand it it would be this one
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago DC was gifted the #1 recruiting class when he took over 3 years ago. That class no longer exists and we are sitting at 3-4 in OOC. He's either going to be a miracle worker, and get us to the NCAAT this year, or he's going to be a head coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.
I don't know about #1 class, who knows how these recruits work out. We certainly lost a lot more (graduates) that year, than we gained:
JH - Still here, been battling injuries and hasn't quite lived up to expectations.
This year being as it is, our expectations should be tempered., injuries may also play a part.
Cox will get a contract extension. Just recently most on this board felt he needs a pay increase.
Hopefully we get the facility improvements soon, that will be a major step forward in helping to grow our program.
David Cox should not get at this point, and does not yet deserve, a contract extension. The team underachieved in year one. That should have been an NIT team that saw the core of Jeff, Fatts, Cyril and the best Rhody recruiting class in the history of our school gel and get some tournament experience. Last year we underachieved as well. That was a team that was supposed to go dancing and we were in position to do that until the Baron era collapse. He's shown that he's a great representative of our program as a person and he's great at bringing in talent. He's also shown that he's a poor in game coach and he's maybe the worst coach in the country at keeping talent on the team once it gets on campus. In other words, he's still a great head assistant coach and probably not a good head coach. That's not the record of someone you tie up any longer. There should be no contract extension unless and until we make the NCAA tournament, and you'd think that if any fanbase in this country would understand it it would be this one
“Worst coach on the country at keeping talent on the team once it gets on campus”

Why don’t you take a deep breath. What recruit has transferred besides Tyrese Martin that substantially impacted this program? I’ll answer for you, none.

There’s things that maybe are fair to assess in the teams collapse last year, or in game adjustments, but now you’re just throwing shit at a wall
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......regarding the capability the retain talent once on campus, I think, for a high mid major, keeping kids is becoming more and more challenging.......kids have got lots of influences in their ears, pumping them with potentially unrealistic expectations for the grass greener elsewhere......hard to combat that with sticking to the knitting at ole State U.......and loyalty and commitment to a program are things of the past......the key to coaching success seems to quickly blend the bag of mixed nuts into post season appearances.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Regardless of what you think Cox will get an extension. That will be necessary to get the caliber of recruits they are going after, these kids will not go to a program with a lame duck coach and coach K isn't walking through the door. Many programs are experiencing roster turnovers which will continue to be more common because of the relaxed transfer rules. Cox has done an excellent job filling in the roster with depth and balance. As I said several times, we need to be patient and give this staff some more time to develop the chemistry on this new team. You probably wanted them to fire DH after his first 4 years, two of which were below .500 and the fourth was 17-15.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

“Worst coach on the country at keeping talent on the team once it gets on campus”

Why don’t you take a deep breath. What recruit has transferred besides Tyrese Martin that substantially impacted this program? I’ll answer for you, none.

There’s things that maybe are fair to assess in the teams collapse last year, or in game adjustments, but now you’re just throwing shit at a wall

I'm really not. I've posted all the names before and when I did last summer I was told, "oh, but look at Wichita State, if it can happen there it can happen here!" How's that comparison working out now? And if none of those players that left mattered, why did we bring them in in the first place?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Regardless of what you think Cox will get an extension. That will be necessary to get the caliber of recruits they are going after, these kids will not go to a program with a lame duck coach and coach K isn't walking through the door. Many programs are experiencing roster turnovers which will continue to be more common because of the relaxed transfer rules. Cox has done an excellent job filling in the roster with depth and balance. As I said several times, we need to be patient and give this staff some more time to develop the chemistry on this new team. You probably wanted them to fire DH after his first 4 years, two of which were below .500 and the fourth was 17-15.
He wouldn't need more time to develop chemistry if he could keep any of his players. The best recruiting class in URI history should be in their third year playing together, and only one of those players is still here. He would be getting more patience from fans if he didn't underachieve in his first two seasons. And no, I was one of the few people defending Hurley even after the Fordham game, to the point that I was ridiculed as a Kool-Aid drinker. If Cox gets an extension before we make a tournament Thorr should be fired on the spot. There's no way we should repeat the Baron mistake again.

It's very clear reading this board lately which people supported Baron right until the bitter end and which people were ready to get this program where it belongs a lot sooner. History is repeating with the coach, with the product on the floor, and on this message board
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Dan Hurley walked into a shitshow.. David Cox walked into a championship-level program with many strong pieces to build upon. I don't care if Phil Jackson took over for Hurley. Going 3 years without a bid isn't good enough... If Cox lands us a bid this year, then I agree. Let's give him an extension.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Dan Hurley walked into a shitshow.. David Cox walked into a championship-level program with many strong pieces to build upon. I don't care if Phil Jackson took over for Hurley. Going 3 years without a bid isn't good enough... If Cox lands us a bid this year, then I agree. Let's give him an extension.
What?! He did not have the roster Hurley did...stop it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Brevity. It’s refreshing.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If DC lands a bid in this truncated, messed up year, he's going to be awarded a heck of a lot more than an extension, don't worry. I'm not saying he would just fly out the door, but there would be offers.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He wouldn't need more time to develop chemistry if he could keep any of his players. The best recruiting class in URI history should be in their third year playing together, and only one of those players is still here. He would be getting more patience from fans if he didn't underachieve in his first two seasons. And no, I was one of the few people defending Hurley even after the Fordham game, to the point that I was ridiculed as a Kool-Aid drinker. If Cox gets an extension before we make a tournament Thorr should be fired on the spot. There's no way we should repeat the Baron mistake again.

It's very clear reading this board lately which people supported Baron right until the bitter end and which people were ready to get this program where it belongs a lot sooner. History is repeating with the coach, with the product on the floor, and on this message board
First of all I wasn't a Baron supporter, I didn't like the hire initially, and felt he should of been gone well before 11 years. But no way did Cox underachieve his first year, losing almost all your starters and scorers from the previous year (EC, Jared, Stan, Jarvis, Berry). Last year we had a great stretch but struggled at the end and finished 21-9, maybe playing our way back into the Dance if we had a strong run in the tournament. It sounds like you supported DH, so at least for now, show the same courtesy for Cox. We were all disappointed at the transfers, which seems to be the new norm in college sports, but to his credit we reloaded with possibly a stronger roster. How last year ended and this season with all the disruptions, you need to give this staff a pass. I am just happy so far they managed to keep Covid away from our program. We may agree to disagree, but I will be shocked if Cox is let go anytime soon.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Dan Hurley walked into a shitshow.. David Cox walked into a championship-level program with many strong pieces to build upon. I don't care if Phil Jackson took over for Hurley. Going 3 years without a bid isn't good enough... If Cox lands us a bid this year, then I agree. Let's give him an extension.
DC inherited the starting PG, a good A10 PF and a streaky scorer along with the #1 recruiting class in the league. Dan inherited a pile of hot trash in his first year. I think that is what the poster meant.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
DC inherited the starting PG, a good A10 PF and a streaky scorer along with the #1 recruiting class in the league. Dan inherited a pile of hot trash in his first year. I think that is what the poster meant.
Bingo...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Cox started with Jeff, Cyril and Fatts. That is better than what Hurley had at the start, but he also did a better job with those early teams than Hurley did. Hurley left after Jared, EC, Stan, Hassan, Jarvis and Iverson were all gone. It was a rebuild year. I think last year was a bubble team, probably on the outside but could have made up for it in the A10 championships which is where Hurley was in year 5.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

People on this board think things are bad now? Imagine you lose Cox and with the open transfer window out go all the new faces he just brought in. Program gets once again reset 2-3 years minimum.

We were spoiled by the end of the Hurley era. We aren’t Dayton or VCU. Expecting to make the tournament every year just because it happened once is extremely unrealistic. The sooner you all realize where we actually fall in the hierarchy of college basketball the better
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We were not "spoiled" lol. The program met its goal. Thats a Baron attitude right there.
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We were not "spoiled" lol. The program met its goal. Thats a Baron attitude right there.
Maybe I should rephrase. Acting spoiled in that making the tournament every year is a possibility. Should it obviously always be a goal? Of course. But it’s very hard to attract and then keep high quality talent to a program in our position
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

First of all I wasn't a Baron supporter, I didn't like the hire initially, and felt he should of been gone well before 11 years. But no way did Cox underachieve his first year, losing almost all your starters and scorers from the previous year (EC, Jared, Stan, Jarvis, Berry). Last year we had a great stretch but struggled at the end and finished 21-9, maybe playing our way back into the Dance if we had a strong run in the tournament. It sounds like you supported DH, so at least for now, show the same courtesy for Cox. We were all disappointed at the transfers, which seems to be the new norm in college sports, but to his credit we reloaded with possibly a stronger roster. How last year ended and this season with all the disruptions, you need to give this staff a pass. I am just happy so far they managed to keep Covid away from our program. We may agree to disagree, but I will be shocked if Cox is let go anytime soon.
With how bad the Atlantic 10 was Cox' first season, a roster of junior Jeff Dowtin, junior Cyril Langevine, sophomore Fatts Russell, and the best recruiting class in the A10, top 50 nationally absolutely should have made the NIT. That they didn't is an underachievement. And I supported Dan because he was a more well known commodity and he didn't have any underachieving seasons. If he had missed the tournament the first year we went he'd be where Cox is now. The idea we should give Cox a pass because of turmoil in his program is nonsensical. People can say new norm all they want it doesn't make it so. We've had two times the players leaving as an average program. Cox wanted this job because it was a reload, well it's time for him to shoot and hit the target. He's already 0-2
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We were not "spoiled" lol. The program met its goal. Thats a Baron attitude right there.
Maybe I should rephrase. Acting spoiled in that making the tournament every year is a possibility. Should it obviously always be a goal? Of course. But it’s very hard to attract and then keep high quality talent to a program in our position
I don't think any reasonable fan thinks this team will land a bid every season. I certainly don't. Landing a bid every 3 years is attainable. Cox still has a chance to do that, and I'll be the first one to sing his praises if he does.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago People on this board think things are bad now? Imagine you lose Cox and with the open transfer window out go all the new faces he just brought in. Program gets once again reset 2-3 years minimum.

We were spoiled by the end of the Hurley era. We aren’t Dayton or VCU. Expecting to make the tournament every year just because it happened once is extremely unrealistic. The sooner you all realize where we actually fall in the hierarchy of college basketball the better
This is the exact same argument that led to keeping Baron on as coach. "We can't fire him, we'll lose all of our players and we'll have to start over! It will take years to reset!" How did that work out for us? We still had to fire him, it still took years to reset, we just delayed the process and went into it with one hand tied behind our back because of our APR situation. It's also the same argument that led to Cox' hiring in the first place. "We have to hire him, we can't bring in another coach, we'll lose Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, and our best recruiting class ever!" How did that work out for us? After two years we haven't made the tournament and only have one player from that class left. If Cox isn't the right guy for the job, and so far he hasn't been, you move on and let the next coach deal with the roster. To go back to what started this discussion, he has yet to earn a contract extension. He wants one, go to the tournament
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago People on this board think things are bad now? Imagine you lose Cox and with the open transfer window out go all the new faces he just brought in. Program gets once again reset 2-3 years minimum.

This is the exact same argument that led to keeping Baron on as coach. "We can't fire him, we'll lose all of our players and we'll have to start over! It will take years to reset!" How did that work out for us? We still had to fire him, it still took years to reset, we just delayed the process and went into it with one hand tied behind our back because of our APR situation. It's also the same argument that led to Cox' hiring in the first place. "We have to hire him, we can't bring in another coach, we'll lose Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, and our best recruiting class ever!" How did that work out for us? After two years we haven't made the tournament and only have one player from that class left. If Cox isn't the right guy for the job, and so far he hasn't been, you move on and let the next coach deal with the roster. To go back to what started this discussion, he has yet to earn a contract extension. He wants one, go to the tournament
I just think you’re (and others here) wildly over exaggerating how much Cox has disappointed. Year 1 he was left with a shell of a roster (expected outcome). Year 2 he had a borderline tournament team and we’ll never know what would have happened considered COVID. And here we are in Year 3 with a lot of fresh faces and probably in line with where we should be

What part of the performance so far is the big issue? I’d say he’s done what’s been asked. He hasn’t per say WOWed me. But you’re coming for the guys throat after 2.25 years.

Realistically this team should be on the bubble this year. And then next year they should be in the tournament. That’s my take. Agree or disagree it’s the barometer I’m holding Cox too
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

With how bad the Atlantic 10 was Cox' first season, a roster of junior Jeff Dowtin, junior Cyril Langevine, sophomore Fatts Russell, and the best recruiting class in the A10, top 50 nationally absolutely should have made the NIT. That they didn't is an underachievement. And I supported Dan because he was a more well known commodity and he didn't have any underachieving seasons. If he had missed the tournament the first year we went he'd be where Cox is now. The idea we should give Cox a pass because of turmoil in his program is nonsensical. People can say new norm all they want it doesn't make it so. We've had two times the players leaving as an average program. Cox wanted this job because it was a reload, well it's time for him to shoot and hit the target. He's already 0-2
This conversation probably needs to move to a different thread. I usually tend to be critical and I believe that head coaches need to be accountable, but this is to early in Cox's tenure to make judgement. Especially with Covid causing all the disruptions this season, and all the rule changes taking place this year. Look after 2 full seasons he is 39-24 and DH who we all now admire was 22-39. Please stop with the #1 recruiting class, that is so subjective, and one of the top recruits on that list never made it to campus. Also when DH came here, he actually inherited more scoring than Cox did from the previous team, but I don't want to go that route. There was constant complaining early on about DH's offensive schemes, strategies, and emotional outbursts but he eventually won the fans over. Let's just see how this plays out with Cox and if we do see a program that stagnates or spirals downward, I am sure changes will be made.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I just think you’re (and others here) wildly over exaggerating how much Cox has disappointed. Year 1 he was left with a shell of a roster (expected outcome). Year 2 he had a borderline tournament team and we’ll never know what would have happened considered COVID. And here we are in Year 3 with a lot of fresh faces and probably in line with where we should be

What part of the performance so far is the big issue? I’d say he’s done what’s been asked. He hasn’t per say WOWed me. But you’re coming for the guys throat after 2.25 years.

Realistically this team should be on the bubble this year. And then next year they should be in the tournament. That’s my take. Agree or disagree it’s the barometer I’m holding Cox too
The barometer I'm holding him to is we were supposed to make the tournament last year and we were outside of the field when the season ended because he presided over an epic choke job. I admitted that he's been great at bringing talent in, but if he can't keep the players on campus then that talent is mitigated. You say I'm coming for his throat, but what has he done to earn a contract extension at this time? Why should he be given one before he makes an NCAA tournament?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

The barometer I'm holding him to is we were supposed to make the tournament last year and we were outside of the field when the season ended because he presided over an epic choke job. I admitted that he's been great at bringing talent in, but if he can't keep the players on campus then that talent is mitigated. You say I'm coming for his throat, but what has he done to earn a contract extension at this time? Why should he be given one before he makes an NCAA tournament?
You and anyone else here who thinks how last year ended was an “epic choke job” needs to refresh your memory on what even happened. We lost 2 games to debatably the best team in the country and another to St Louis who was arguably outright better than us, and then a game in OT to a top 6 A10 team in Davidson. There were no bad losses there. The timing of all of them and how recency bias works was unfortunate more than anything.

And I don’t know how many times I have to say this but just because you had “the best recruiting class” and they ended up being over recruited doesn’t mean we should be blindly loyal to that stat. You HAVE BETTER PLAYERS NOW, who cares they left.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This conversation probably needs to move to a different thread. I usually tend to be critical and I believe that head coaches need to be accountable, but this is to early in Cox's tenure to make judgement. Especially with Covid causing all the disruptions this season, and all the rule changes taking place this year. Look after 2 full seasons he is 39-24 and DH who we all now admire was 22-39. Please stop with the #1 recruiting class, that is so subjective, and one of the top recruits on that list never made it to campus. Also when DH came here, he actually inherited more scoring than Cox did from the previous team, but I don't want to go that that route. There was constant complaining early on about DH's offensive schemes, strategies, and emotional outbursts but he eventually won the fans over. Let's just see how this plays out with Cox and if we do see a program that stagnates or spirals downward, I am sure changes will be made.
"After 2 full seasons Cox is 39-24 and DH was 22-39." "DH inherited more scoring than Cox" These are ridiculous arguments. This is who Hurley inherited:
T.J. Buchanan
Alwayne Bigby
Mike Powell
Jarelle Reischel
Jordan Hare
Nikola Malesvic
Andre Malone
Ryan Brooks

This is what Cox inherited:
Jeff Dowtin
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine
Ryan Preston
Michael Tertsea
All due respect to TJ, there isn't a single guy Hurley inherited that are better than the top 3 Cox inherited. So yeah, great, Hurley inherited TJ and a lot of extra fungible players. Anybody that knows basketball and knows this program knows what Cox faced in his first two years isn't close to what Hurley faced.

And you want to dismiss the recruiting class now, but that was the whole point of hiring him then
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......if this conversation must go on, then maybe bring back and continue the Dave Cox Era topic.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938