Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s tough. Overall they did an absolutely fantastic job. Hats off to them.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI has been lucky so far in this pandemic disrupted season. The Rams have five games under their belt whereas some schools- e.g. St. Bonnies - have yet to play a game or St. Joe's which after two games, a positive Covid test has postponed games against Villanova, Bradley, and maybe Temple. The Bubbleville type format does work and why it is not employed more as a congregant tool is mystifying!

But it's still sad that URI couldn't schedule more short travel games against New England foes. The PC situation was particularly bad because, in the face of a once in a lifetime pandemic, PC's Cooley acted as nothing was unusual and trotted out trite and limited vision excuses to not play URI. His operative word underlying his rationale was "selfish" and he was indeed correct on that one, just not in the way he intended it. The UConn situation is also disappointing especially given they are led by a former URI coach.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago URI has been lucky so far in this pandemic disrupted season. The Rams have five games under their belt whereas some schools- e.g. St. Bonnies - have yet to play a game or St. Joe's which after two games, a positive Covid test has postponed games against Villanova, Bradley, and maybe Temple. The Bubbleville type format does work and why it is not employed more as a congregant tool is mystifying!

But it's still sad that URI couldn't schedule more short travel games against New England foes. The PC situation was particularly bad because, in the face of a once in a lifetime pandemic, PC's Cooley acted as nothing was unusual and trotted out trite and limited vision excuses to not play URI. His operative word underlying his rationale was "selfish" and he was indeed correct on that one, just not in the way he intended it. The UConn situation is also disappointing especially given they are led by a former URI coach.
It's a freak year...anything could happen. Not holding out hope, but I would not be stunned if they still somehow ended up playing one or the other or even both this year. That kinda year.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Due to medical conditions in my home I take the virus seriously

I go to stores to buy necessities......I work mainly remotely.....including most court hearings being done by WebEx....

I've done a couple of adoptions live but only the adoptive parents and the child can attend the hearings

In normal times the court room would be filled with family and friends for the joyous occasion

When I do adoptions online now you miss the intimacy of human contact and camaraderie.....but we can invite people from all over the world to watch the adoption on the virtual platform....it has become quite unique to see and in some cases it allows people who wouldn't have been able to attend....I have had 50 different parties sign on to watch a couple of them...

I have to treat everyone I come across as being contagious.....so many people don't want to wear masks.....and many wear them quite inappropriately even where they are required......they have them on properly when they enter the venue and then pull them down completely or below their noses...

I used to get aggravated at them and want to chastise them.....but I refrain.....I mutter under my breath about what fuckers they are in not caring for their fellow humans.....

So I make sure to protect myself as best as possible......if they won't worry about possibly exposing me I have to worry about not getting exposed....I wear a N95 mask and a cloth mask over that one.....you have to protect yourself.....not rely on non-believing people who refuse to care about others.....

Rant over......just remember if I bump into you not wearing your mask properly indoors I will be calling you a fucking asshole into my mask.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Damn. I was looking forward to that game.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Damn. I was looking forward to that game.
Yeah, I was looking forward to giving my remote a workout between this game and UCONN- NC State. Now what else to do on this crappy day. College football, I guess.

Interesting how they list this game as postponed, not cancelled.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Due to medical conditions in my home I take the virus seriously

I go to stores to buy necessities......I work mainly remotely.....including most court hearings being done by WebEx....

I've done a couple of adoptions live but only the adoptive parents and the child can attend the hearings

In normal times the court room would be filled with family and friends for the joyous occasion

When I do adoptions online now you miss the intimacy of human contact and camaraderie.....but we can invite people from all over the world to watch the adoption on the virtual platform....it has become quite unique to see and in some cases it allows people who wouldn't have been able to attend....I have had 50 different parties sign on to watch a couple of them...

I have to treat everyone I come across as being contagious.....so many people don't want to wear masks.....and many wear them quite inappropriately even where they are required......they have them on properly when they enter the venue and then pull them down completely or below their noses...

I used to get aggravated at them and want to chastise them.....but I refrain.....I mutter under my breath about what fuckers they are in not caring for their fellow humans.....

So I make sure to protect myself as best as possible......if they won't worry about possibly exposing me I have to worry about not getting exposed....I wear a N95 mask and a cloth mask over that one.....you have to protect yourself.....not rely on non-believing people who refuse to care about others.....

Rant over......just remember if I bump into you not wearing your mask properly indoors I will be calling you a fucking asshole into my mask.....
My 18 month old granddaughter just tested positive. She picked it up from day care, which had followed all the directives. Shit’s real, folks.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Yeah, I was looking forward to giving my remote a workout between this game and UCONN- NC State. Now what else to do on this crappy day. College football, I guess.

Dayton v SMU is a decent one on ESPN+
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago

My 18 month old granddaughter just tested positive. She picked it up from day care, which had followed all the directives. Shit’s real, folks.
Wow, thinking of her and hoping everything is ok.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

Dayton v SMU is a decent one on ESPN+
Just renewed my ESPN+ to watch it. Thanks.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Very sad sports related COVID news. Timberwolves Karl-Anthony Towns has had 7 family members die from the virus, including his mother
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of this morning's New York Times Covid case rankings by state, Rhode Island in now #1. The ranking is based on the last seven day average of new Covid cases per 100,000 population. On this metric, Rhode Island stands at 110.3 with Minnesota now second at 104.5. Most of the states in top 20 are in the Midwest, West and South. The next northeastern state is Pennsylvania at #27.

There is no word from URI Athletics on whether a limited number of fans will be allowed into Ryan Center for the first conference game against Davidson on December 18. We should hear this week.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago As of this morning's New York Times Covid case rankings by state, Rhode Island in now #1. The ranking is based on the last seven day average of new Covid cases per 100,000 population. On this metric, Rhode Island stands at 110.3 with Minnesota now second at 104.5. Most of the states in top 20 are in the Midwest, West and South. The next northeastern state is Pennsylvania at #27.

There is no word from URI Athletics on whether a limited number of fans will be allowed into Ryan Center for the first conference game against Davidson on December 18. We should hear this week.
The recent email we received from Maureen McCarthy (Associate AD of Ticketing) stated “at this time we do not anticipate fans being allowed until at least January”.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm really interested in seeing the NCAA NET numbers come out. With the way the season is going and many teams not even playing a game yet, I think the conference bias will be blaring.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I'm really interested in seeing the NCAA NET numbers come out. With the way the season is going and many teams not even playing a game yet, I think the conference bias will be blaring.
Tennessee (#21!), Mississippi and St. Bonaventure are all ahead of us in the KenPom rankings with their tidy 0-0 records. I'm sure the NET numbers will also be laugh out loud funny.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Teams are dropping like flies. Not looking good for a prolonged season. Sucks!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fortunately, these teams are only out for a short time, and everyone is being very open & flexible (minus PC) to schedule changes to make this work.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Anyone watch the 60 Minutes story on the impact of COVID on college athletics? More looked at the business side of it but pretty interesting.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Anyone watch the 60 Minutes story on the impact of COVID on college athletics? More looked at the business side of it but pretty interesting.
I found the interview with the women track/field coach (may have that wrong) the most eye opening part. The stats on athletes that competed in the 2016 olympics which had also competed in the NCAA was astounding to me. Something like 600 athletes from 100 different countries.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Anyone watch the 60 Minutes story on the impact of COVID on college athletics? More looked at the business side of it but pretty interesting.
I found the interview with the women track/field coach (may have that wrong) the most eye opening part. The stats on athletes that competed in the 2016 olympics which had also competed in the NCAA was astounding to me. Something like 600 athletes from 100 different countries.
Good story. I know football teams have a lot of scholarships, but It surprised me when they gave Minnesota’s number. I think it’s about 115. They couldn’t survive with 90 - 100? That would help them keep their gymnastics and tennis teams, although that would presume they care about those two sports.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

If only we could make the whole country "Bubbleville".

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode Island now leads the World in Covid Cases per 100,000 people
Mentioned on The Gresh Show following Thorr's appearance at 7:05pm tonight

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s-pandemic

While I totally agree with Coach K on the seriousness of the situation, color me skeptical that he would have the same take if his team was 4-0 instead of 2-2. And his team didn't even have to go away to a bubble or a road game, all their games so far have been in Cameron Indoor.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s-pandemic

While I totally agree with Coach K on the seriousness of the situation, color me skeptical that he would have the same take if his team was 4-0 instead of 2-2. And his team didn't even have to go away to a bubble or a road game, all their games so far have been in Cameron Indoor.
He's a bitch. Not like Cooley - because he's a HOFer and has actually achieved great things - but similarly bitchy.

If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s-pandemic

He's a bitch. Not like Cooley - because he's a HOFer and has actually achieved great things - but similarly bitchy.

Jay Bilas was saying the same thing with about a minute left in the game.

I also like how they dont offer any solution.

So players should see their families for their own good? But isn't it dangerous for them to see their families? Are they not safer from the virus as they are now and are subsequently protecting their families? What about the mental toll of having what they love shut down AGAIN?

Or are they talking about figuring out more bubblicious protocol for conference play?

I cant imagine for a second how any player would prefer the games get shut down so they can sit on their hands and just be a student.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea playing ball away from their families is almost like a bubble itself. Same argument college football made.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I get the setting the example thing, but when he's on the sideline on game day with a mask, who is he 'protecting'? I mean, aren't they all tested days before and on game day? And, if everyone there tested negative that day....is it a huge deal? (Don't kill me...serious question)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......whoever thought there would masks as stocking stuffers.......raise your hand if ya did I......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......whoever thought there would masks as stocking stuffers.......raise your hand if ya did I......
please, no
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I get the setting the example thing, but when he's on the sideline on game day with a mask, who is he 'protecting'? I mean, aren't they all tested days before and on game day? And, if everyone there tested negative that day....is it a huge deal? (Don't kill me...serious question)
They are getting the quick tests which aren’t great at confirming you aren’t positive (high false negative rate). Either way, they all agreed to the mask rules. They look ridiculous constantly pulling them down to shout. Do they really think players can’t hear them when the mask is on, especially with no fans in the seats?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea playing ball away from their families is almost like a bubble itself. Same argument college football made.
This is hilarious because in RI you are only supposed to interact indoors with your own household/workplace anyways. Not like the players are supposed to be seeing their extended families anyways.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I get the setting the example thing, but when he's on the sideline on game day with a mask, who is he 'protecting'? I mean, aren't they all tested days before and on game day? And, if everyone there tested negative that day....is it a huge deal? (Don't kill me...serious question)
Testing negative does not mean that you're not infected.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great job by Rhody not having any positive tests !! Keep up the healthy practices baby !!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
But if that happens, he’ll keep the survival rate high. Isn’t that what counts? /s
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its not certain its Covid related though?
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This could be a very very big mess
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Its not certain its Covid related though?
It’s not certain. Just speculation, but it highlights a potential very big issue (and could potential turn out to be one itself).
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There have certainly been other instances of myocarditis (Eduardo Rodriguez, for example) resulting from COVID. So if that’s what it is... this is scary. I imagine we’ll know more soon.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Today 69 games played and 28 canceled/postponed
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How can a University be held responsible for a virus infection? This is an ambulance chaser's wet dream.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....our Dr. Scott, of DOH tests +......Gina taking cover.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Luckily Erod will be back on the mound this coming season!
GO RAMS
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
But if that happens, he’ll keep the survival rate high. Isn’t that what counts? /s
What is this supposed to mean? The kid is in critical condition. I’m always interested to see what kind of comments things like this generate. Explains how there are so many trump nut bags out there. Not something to be writing a stupid joke to.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Keyontae Johnson!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Didn't see if this was previously posted:

Baylor pauses due to COVID, and now the nation’s No. 1 and 2 teams are on pause

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
The Baylor men’s basketball program will pause team activities as a result of COVID-19 protocols, head coach Scott Drew announced Saturday.
Drew announced last month he had tested positive, but it’s unclear what triggered the current pause.
With No. 1 Gonzaga already on a pause, the nation’s Nos. 1 and 2 programs are both on pause.

The No. 2-ranked Bears were scheduled to host No. 13 Texas Sunday and Tarleton State Tuesday at the Ferrell Center. Both games have been postponed and could be rescheduled at a later date. The status of Baylor’s Dec. 19 game at Kansas State is to be determined.

“This is a disappointing time for everyone involved with our program, but we will always prioritize the health and safety of our student-athletes,” Drew said. “The Big 12 Conference prepared for this possibility by leaving the final week of the regular season open, and we look forward to hosting Texas at a later date. Our program will return to competition as soon as we can do so safely.”