Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Before you complain about his athleticism or lack thereof, how much do his feet hinder him? Does anybody know how bad they really are?
I think that's been a significant issue for him. His feet have been bad throughout his career here.

If you’re 6’9 and healthy enough to play, you should be able to dunk the ball around the rim.

He’s missed out on so many points because he has zero elevation.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Not everyone is saying he sucks. Some are saying he's injured. Some are saying he's playing better. Some are saying he's been bad. We all have different opinions, and there is nothing wrong with discussing it.
Then this obviously isn’t directed towards those people. The overwhelming majority is leaning towards the kid sucks. I personally don’t this so. All people are doing now is try to convince others why the kid is bad and that he doesn’t deserve to play. Again, so thankful you all (to whom the shoe fits) don’t coach/mentor/teach.

Criticism is ok. Sure, in his case it may even be warranted, but we’ve devolved into quite simply non-stop berating.
And the non-stop berating went on last season as well. No player has received as much scrutiny and criticism as this player - not even close.
I'm waiting for Mike Powell's dad to chime in here.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I’m glad Blue Man has taken my place in getting drilled about Harris talk!

I’ll agree and disagree with Blue Man on some of his points.

Disagree that he is explosive. Harris is one the least athletic players I have ever seen, cannot elevate worth a damn, struggles to even dunk the ball. Not sure he’s had 5 dunks in his career here.

Agree that it’s ridiculous Blue Man (and me last year) get crucified for pointing out the fact that Harris has not been good (albeit for a 3ish game stretch last year) / cannot understand how some defend his play when it has been extremely underwhelming.

Someone actually defended his 3 point shooting saying it MAY LEAD TO AN OFFENSIVE REBOUND. That point is so ridiculous and pretty much makes all your takes irrelevant because you sound like you have no knowledge of the game.

Someone else wants Harris to keep shooting 3s, but wants Fatts to shoot less 3s. Again, a ridiculous take and makes you look like a fool who knows nothing about basketball.

But, like I said, this team is too good and fun to watch for me to post in this thread as much as I did last year.

Now I hope he drops 20/10 the rest of the year to help this team win. Just don’t think it’ll ever happen.
What some are tired of is that the Harris criticism never stops.
Last season there was a similar Harris thread that went to 10 pages before ATP finally locked it.
Then 2 months later this thread was started when rumor was he was leaving URI and has now become 9 pages. It has gone down the same path of Harris criticism that the previous thread did that ATP locked. So a total of 19 pages. No other player on the roster has such a thread.

The title of last year's thread I'm sure all remember Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &start=450
I actually forgot that was a different thread. I thought this was the same one from last year. This is getting a little ridiculous then.

Jermaine, I'm sure you read this. Let me tell you what to do, you have two options:
1) ignore the comments from the peanut gallery who have never been as dedicated to anything in their life as you have been to basketball. They probably aren't as good at anything in life as you are in basketball.
2) use it as fuel to continue to work your ass off and get better. Everyone on here wants you to be a beast, but only you can work to make that happen. In order to achieve greatness, you have to conquer adversity. So show all the haters they're wrong and keep pushing.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ignore 1) above, do 2).
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I been one of JH biggest detractors over the last couple years but I am giving him a clean slate coming into this year

I do notice some improvement and realize he is playing in pain so I am ok with him as 9th or 10th man
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Well half this thread got their wish for today. Well see how it plays out
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Well half this thread got their wish for today. Well see how it plays out
I think it’s more than half.
10 pages last year on a thread that ATP locked, then another Harris thread started 2 months after that one that is 10 pages.
Wish Jermaine a speedy, safe recovery. Will miss him today.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Well half this thread got their wish for today. Well see how it plays out
I think it’s more than half.
10 pages last year on a thread that ATP locked, then another Harris thread started 2 months after that one that is 10 pages.
Wish Jermaine a speedy, safe recovery. Will miss him today.
More time for his foot to heal at least. Need his big body against Bassey next week.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Contrary to the thoughts of many here, I think he will be really missed in today's game. His size and physicality will be needed in this game, especially if the twins get into early foul trouble. I wish Harris a speedy recovery.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Contrary to the thoughts of many here, I think he will be really missed in today's game. His size and physicality will be needed in this game, especially if the twins get into early foul trouble. I wish Harris a speedy recovery.
Completely agree.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

He is obviously still hurting. In the last 2 games u could see he couldn’t even jump off the right foot when going left. That’s why he was getting no elevation. Hopefully he heals with some rest. We will need him.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Mitchell twins foul trouble early? Where have we seen that before? The people in here who think we’re better off without Harris don’t watch the games
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Already missing Jermaine and we're only 1/2 way through the first half.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Mitchell twins foul trouble early? Where have we seen that before? The people in here who think we’re better off without Harris don’t watch the games
Who said we are better off without Harris??
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Mitchell twins foul trouble early? Where have we seen that before? The people in here who think we’re better off without Harris don’t watch the games
90% of this thread
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Really miss Harris here !

GO RHODY!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahahaha you people are ridiculous.

Thinking if we had Harris we’d be in this game.

Clueless.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Really miss Harris here !

GO RHODY!
Hahahahahahah yea we miss him alright.
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Wow Dude did Harris steal your girlfriend. Chill out son!

GO RHODY!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Wow Dude did Harris steal your girlfriend. Chill out son!

GO RHODY!
Yes and he also took my spot on the team!

(Go Rhody this game really Shouldn’t get people all upset we had no chance.)
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Lol!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I agree!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

1 Mitchell fouled out, other Mitchell cramped up, Walker fouled out. But We DoNt NeEd HaRrIs
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago 1 Mitchell fouled out, other Mitchell cramped up, Walker fouled out. But We DoNt NeEd HaRrIs
We don’t. What is with the blind defending of a kid who hasn’t done jack shit in his career here?

I, along with Blue Man and others, will never get it.

I would bet there’s not another game where we lose all 3 of those kids at the end of the game.

Honestly though, please tell me if Harris was here, what the outcome would have been?
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago 1 Mitchell fouled out, other Mitchell cramped up, Walker fouled out. But We DoNt NeEd HaRrIs
We don’t. What is with the blind defending of a kid who hasn’t done jack shit in his career here?

I, along with Blue Man and others, will never get it.

I would bet there’s not another game where we lose all 3 of those kids at the end of the game.

Honestly though, please tell me if Harris was here, what the outcome would have been?
Don’t get me wrong - I’m not saying Harris wins is that game or even should be starting. What I’m trying to convey is when you have two foul happy de facto freshmen in your front court another body to eat solid minutes is very helpful
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
90% of this thread
No one said we don’t need Harris. The prevailing opinion was “why is he getting starter minutes” and “why is he taking 3’s as a 9% shooter” - good God.

People act like critical discussion about basketball is a sin on here. It’s a basketball message board for fans. Being a fan doesn’t mean you are just happy all the time and only look at the good. It means you care.

Every single person on here who’s been critical of Harris is rooting for Harris to drop 20 and 10 every game. We’re fans of the team. We’re fans of the players.

It’s INSANE that some of you can’t handle criticism of an underwhelming player on your own team.

That’s stuff you expect to see on like a Canisus message board and laugh at because their fans haven’t watched basketball outside of their poor conference.

If you have watched basketball outside of when URI plays, you would have a similar opinion as those of us saying Harris is underwhelming. You’d also realize that it’s sad that fans would try and blindly pretend a player is better than he is because he’s on your team.

Harris was missed tonight. Roughly 10-12 minutes of Harris’ body to absorb some fouls and maybe make a play or two. But to even pretend we lost because of not having Harris is lunacy.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

This!! And Rhody15 what the hell are you doing here?? Your Friars are on and have a big win. Go enjoy the team you really care for you fraud.

And stop referring to Rhody as we. It is so fraudulent it is not even funny, but yes you can come on this board and spew your BS.

The others may watch the games but do not have a clue as to what makes a good basketball player, they probably think Antwan Walker is good because they ignore his five turnovers a game because he shows emotion out there and plays "hahd". Clueless, but hard. The same people that think Trot Nixon was a great baseball player. People that know the game know he was average at best. Same for players like Walker, he should be an energy type sixth man on a good team. If he is playing 30 minutes a night, you are a very limited team which evidently we are because he is. Cox's decision last year to play Walker over Toppin flat out cost them the road Davidson game and any realistic chance at an NCAA bid. And the coach still drives me nuts with how much this dude plays. Let me tell you the worse thing in basketball is a live ball turnover. Turnovers in general are terrible but live ball turnovers are the worst because they often times lead directly to points for the other team. If there a guy on this team that has more live ball turnovers than Walker the last two years please show him to me. And I am not talking guards that handle the ball four times as often as he does.

And BlueMan stop lecturing. Your take on Harris is a bad one plain and simple. Stop acting like anyone who disagrees with you or is not critical is not a real fan. It is not about being critical, it is about having a clue. Saying Harris is bad because of what is between his ears is ridiculous. See my paragraph above on Antwan Walker, very critical. Am I now a good fan based on your stupid metric? Of course not, we just see players in different lights. And look at my half time rant if you want to see critical.

If you really think the Mitchells are great, or going to be very good players, and we do not need Harris, I think that is a bad take. I do not see greatness, or even very good with them, in any way shape or form. They are adequate, fine but there is no way that both should be playing ahead of Harris on a consistent basis when and if Jermaine gets healthy. You disagree fine, but the very few of us who see it differently are certainly real fans.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would have liked to see JH today he would have helped . If he is the 4th big on the team that’s a lot of depth
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
This!! And Rhody15 what the hell are you doing here?? Your Friars are on and have a big win. Go enjoy the team you really care for you fraud.

And stop referring to Rhody as we. It is so fraudulent it is not even funny, but yes you can come on this board and spew your BS.

The others may watch the games but do not have a clue as to what makes a good basketball player, they probably think Antwan Walker is good because they ignore his five turnovers a game because he shows emotion out there and plays "hahd". Clueless, but hard. The same people that think Trot Nixon was a great baseball player. People that know the game know he was average at best. Same for players like Walker, he should be an energy type sixth man on a good team. If he is playing 30 minutes a night, you are a very limited team which evidently we are because he is. Cox's decision last year to play Walker over Toppin flat out cost them the road Davidson game and any realistic chance at an NCAA bid. And the coach still drives me nuts with how much this dude plays. Let me tell you the worse thing in basketball is a live ball turnover. Turnovers in general are terrible but live ball turnovers are the worst because they often times lead directly to points for the other team. If there a guy on this team that has more live ball turnovers than Walker the last two years please show him to me. And I am not talking guards that handle the ball four times as often as he does.

And BlueMan stop lecturing. Your take on Harris is a bad one plain and simple. Stop acting like anyone who disagrees with you or is not critical is not a real fan. It is not about being critical, it is about having a clue. Saying Harris is bad because of what is between his ears is ridiculous. See my paragraph above on Antwan Walker, very critical. Am I now a good fan based on your stupid metric? Of course not, we just see players in different lights. And look at my half time rant if you want to see critical.

If you really think the Mitchells are great, or going to be very good players, and we do not need Harris, I think that is a bad take. I do not see greatness, or even very good with them, in any way shape or form. They are adequate, fine but there is no way that both should be playing ahead of Harris on a consistent basis when and if Jermaine gets healthy. You disagree fine, but the very few of us who see it differently are certainly real fans.

You lost all credibility when you didn’t know how to spell Walkers first name and wondered why Harris wasn’t playing tonight.

Anything you say really can’t
Be taken serious going forward.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

There is a lot here. But I will not have the mighty dirt dog that is Troy Nixon besmirched here.

My take on Harris is 100% spot on. As is your take about Walker. He was terrible tonight and for some reason put in way too many high leverage spots (top of the key, shooting, ball handling). He can jump out the gym, can block, and can rebound - so I would take him to get minutes over Harris.

To be clear we 100% need Harris. He is a big body. Even when he’s bad he’s worth 5 fouls and rest for the Mitchell’s.

If Harris becomes good - GOOD- that’s awesome. That’s what we all want.

1100 minutes of playing time would at least allow us to say “he should improve” and “he probably shouldn’t play 20 mins.”
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

You couldn't be more wrong about the Mitchell twins. They are young and have barely played at this level. Their upside is tremendous.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Love Walker but he needs to be coached. To have him playing pt forward like he’s Lamar is beyond bizarre!

GO RHODY!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Love Walker but he needs to be coached. To have him playing pt forward like he’s Lamar is beyond bizarre!

GO RHODY!
All of our bigs need to be coached better. No one to help Cox implement plays designed to run inside. No one to help with the foot work. We need a good big man assistant coach yesterday.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You couldn't be more wrong about the Mitchell twins. They are young and have barely played at this level. Their upside is tremendous.
No need to give this clown any more responses or attention.

He already has proved he knows nothing.
Go Rhody
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Interesting season stat. Rhody has played 6 games this season. Harris has been available for 3 of those games. URI is 3-0 in games Harris has played while being 0-3 in games he wasn't available. Harris has size and potential, give him a chance to grow into the player we hope he can be. In meantime realize he already is a plus for Rhody with his size and being another big available to help out.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago Interesting season stat. Rhody has played 6 games this season. Harris has been available for 3 of those games. URI is 3-0 in games Harris has played while being 0-3 in games he wasn't available. Harris has size and potential, give him a chance to grow into the player we hope he can be. In meantime realize he already is a plus for Rhody with his size and being another big available to help out.
Grass is green. Your shirt is green. Your shirt is grass.
That’s about the same correlation. To Harris being out and Rhody losing.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Just looking for injury info. Hoping Jermaine is ok. I'm a big fan, hope he can keep his spirits up!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Just looking for injury info. Hoping Jermaine is ok. I'm a big fan, hope he can keep his spirits up!
It was strange watching Jermaine hopping off the court on his one good leg. Sometimes I think our coaches/athletic trainers are lacking common sense. Had not Mitchell already fouled out the game? You would think another tall guy would have been helpful to get him to the locker room.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JH to me looks much more improved this year with the one big exception obviously his FT shooting makes no sense

I really hope his knee is ok and he can get back on the floor
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Any word on Jermaine's injury? Or do we have to wait until the day before our next game to get a report from Cox?
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Just looking for injury info. Hoping Jermaine is ok. I'm a big fan, hope he can keep his spirits up!
It was strange watching Jermaine hopping off the court on his one good leg. Sometimes I think our coaches/athletic trainers are lacking common sense. Had not Mitchell already fouled out the game? You would think another tall guy would have been helpful to get him to the locker room.
It is strange to see that but I've seen that kind of stuff before. For example, I was at the Fordham game last year, sitting behind the Fordham bench and one of their players hurt his knee or ankle, and limped off the court between the basket and the corner of their bench, and literally nobody on the Fordham staff or team went over to check on him for the longest time. I felt bad for the kid. It was very odd.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

With Makhi out, we need Harris to back up Mahkel. The team needs to take two players at least out of the regular rotation. One is not Harris. I would love to hear which two/three players we should not see on the court in the first half of games. I've got my two.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like a solid 8 man rotation getting most of the minutes and the 9th guy getting up to 10 minutes a night but Cox needs to go with the hot hands if you are not producing sit and play the guys that deserve the minutes
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Good news indeed. If nothing else this layoff will help the players heal up and maybe we can also improve the team dynamics.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago With Makhi out, we need Harris to back up Mahkel. The team needs to take two players at least out of the regular rotation. One is not Harris. I would love to hear which two/three players we should not see on the court in the first half of games. I've got my two.
Who might your two be Rhody72?
My observations through 8 games
I would stay somewhat flexible because some might now play well in the 8 man rotation and need to be replaced later
I have not been impressed by Carey. On one of the Broadcasts the commentator said after a Carey careless turnover that turning over the ball was the biggest challenge he had at Syracuse and why he didn't last there. To me he doesn't have a good handle with the ball, has not rebounded well, has not shot well and his defense has been questionable at times.

In order of impressing and need to the team imho. This is not the starting lineup but the order of value at this time.
1-Walker - has been impressive beyond my expectations with his rebounding, defense, scoring and attitude. A pleasant surprise.
2-Leggett - solid, high potential freshman. He is becoming the natural leader of this team. Needs to be in the starting line up - for sure
3-Makhel Mitchell - has played above my expectations. Nice shooting touch 5-8 feel from hoop. Good rebounding, defense and attitude. Very good potential
4-Harris - need his bulk, rebounding and defense especially now that Makhi is out for the season and Makhel and Harris are both prone to fouling. Has shown good energy, desire. Shooting needs work but maybe suffering from lack of practice to to foot injury
5-Betrand - impressive in one game. Good energy, aggressive defense and shooting touch
6-Sheppard - good shooting touch. Needs to reduce turnovers and improve assists. Has good potential. Let him try leading the team while Russell recuperates. See what he can do.
7-Martin - good defensively, good aggressive play. Showed a strong shooting performance last game, needs to become more consistent but has shown potential
8-Johnson - excellent 3 point shooting touch. Needs to improve rebounding and defense but shows good promise

Russell - let him completely heal from his injuries. Bring him back when ready. His shooting and especially his defense seem to be impacted by his injuries. Let others play in his place to see what they can do. Get Russell ready for the later half of conference play and especially the A10 Tournament. We need Russell at full strength. We have Leggett, Sheppard and Carey who can play the guard positions.
Carey - needs to reduce turnovers, improve ball handling, improve assists and take more high percentage shots
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have stated my two players to sit elsewhere. I think we agree on Carey. My other is Sheppard because we have other options who are playing better. Maybe because he was over-hyped upper class-man and hasn't delivered. Just as Jeff Dowtin broke into the starting line-up his freshman year and given a starting role, I'm ready to do the same with Ish Leggett. This is not an NCAAT team this year, but could be next year.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Whew thank god not a serious injury to JH we don’t need another season ender to one of our bigs

Now practice your FTs JH
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Easily the best move I have seen him make. Almost jumped outta my chair.