PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodysk
ARD

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by Rhodysk »

After all this I stand by URI only playing Pee Cee next year or other years if it Benefits URI. Screw Pee Cee. I still believe URI can schedule better teams than Pee Cee.
Cooley is making himself and the his fans look very stupid.
He will not last.
This is the time URI turns the WHOLE state on there side and it starts by winning.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago If I was on the NCAA selection committee and PC was on the bubble I would keep them out and then issue a statement that we don’t reward teams the duck natural rivals to try to play the system.
Since that's not at all how it works - they DO reward teams that play the system....I wouldn't hold breath waiting for that committee invite ;)
But I would make the tournament great!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......they go really low, we go really high.....
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago

And that guy plays Temple and St. Joe’s and La Salle and Penn each season (not this one) and doesn’t love it but also doesn’t bitch about it. I don’t really have a dog in this fight and there are enough obnoxious fans on all sides, but that’s Cooley. He’s got the rep of being a “good guy” and that’s not going anywhere, but man do people make a lot of excuses for him.
Ace I’ll try to dig it up later but I remember an interview with Jay Wright (or a cbs person quoting him last winter) saying he loves the big 5 games and those rivalry games help prepare them for conference play.
The Villanova games against St Joe's and Temple were both postponed. It's a screwed up year you people need to get over yourselves.

It's not even that big a deal this year does not look like PC will be that good and the top half of the A10 looks to be quite solid. Uri take care of business there they will be good
Apples and oranges. The Villanova games against St Joe’s and Temple were cancelled because those two schools went into pause due to Covid.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago It's not about rights, it's about class and respect. BTW, on any subject you care to consider, there are no rights without responsibilities.
So you are saying it is his responsibility to play Uri ? Sorry I disagree while I do not agree with his decision. Every coach in the country is always going to do what is best for their team.
True. And what is best for Head Coach's Team should also consider the Teams's Fanbase. As you say, you don't agree with the decision and neither do the majority of PC Fans that I know. During a season whereby Fans cannot attend games then the fun of the PC-URI In-state Game takes on a degree of importance different from past years - just to relieve some boredom.

Cooley keeps talking about doing what is best for Providence College. I'd disagree with him that his decision to drop this game is best for Providence College. It's his decision but most all other Coaches in D1 Basketball have died to retain their OOC rivalry games.

It's Cooley's decision, I just think it's a bad decision with poor judgement. And what's with the anger and meanness? It's clueless decisions like this that just reinforce my belief that he is a vastly overrated Head Coach. If he makes bad judgement decisions like this then I'm sure he is making more dumb ones as well in his recruiting and offense/defense strategies.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago I by no means want to defend Cooley, and absolutely think he took the cowardscoward's way out this year, but imagine your team is struggling and youryou're 5 games into the season getting asked about a team not on your schedule?
Um, URI was on the schedule until Ed's Cooley chickened out. That action, and his comments since, are just more proof that Pee-C thinks it's too good for our tiny little state.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago It's not about rights, it's about class and respect. BTW, on any subject you care to consider, there are no rights without responsibilities.
So you are saying it is his responsibility to play Uri ? Sorry I disagree while I do not agree with his decision. Every coach in the country is always going to do what is best for their team.
True. And what is best for Head Coach's Team should also consider the Teams's Fanbase. As you say, you don't agree with the decision and neither do the majority of PC Fans that I know. During a season whereby Fans cannot attend games then the fun of the PC-URI In-state Game takes on a degree of importance different from past years - just to relieve some boredom.

Cooley keeps talking about doing what is best for Providence College. I'd disagree with him that his decision to drop this game is best for Providence College. It's his decision but most all other Coaches in D1 Basketball have died to retain their OOC rivalry games.

It's Cooley's decision, I just think it's a bad decision with poor judgement. And what's with the anger and meanness? It's clueless decisions like this that just reinforce my belief that he is a vastly overrated Head Coach. If he makes bad judgement decisions like this then I'm sure he is making more dumb ones as well in his recruiting and offense/defense strategies.
Like I said I don't agree with his decision either but it is his decision and I guess he has his reasons for making it. As far as him being a good coach your obviously entitled to your opinion but I am happy with him as coach. He has had us in the tournament I believe eight out of ten years. Not being a blue blood I dont think you can ask for much better then that. He obviously needs to do a better job once getting in I agree.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Watching Oklahoma at TCU now. Very strange floor design at TCU.
Cooley can use that floor design as an excuse for losing this Wednesday at 5pm on ESPNU
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago I by no means want to defend Cooley, and absolutely think he took the cowardscoward's way out this year, but imagine your team is struggling and youryou're 5 games into the season getting asked about a team not on your schedule?
Um, URI was on the schedule until Ed's Cooley chickened out. That action, and his comments since, are just more proof that Pee-C thinks it's too good for our tiny little state.
What’s your point? I acknowledged that Cooley is soft for how he handled things this year. That aside people on this board act like PC owes us something. They don’t. Let’s build the best program in Rhode Island with or without them. Worry about our roster, less about theirs.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I hope Cooley never leaves PC, it guarantees their yearly mediocrity on a national level.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
What’s your point? I acknowledged that Cooley is soft for how he handled things this year. That aside people on this board act like PC owes us something. They don’t. Let’s build the best program in Rhode Island with or without them. Worry about our roster, less about theirs.
Cooley soft? No, he's a pussy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

without them
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Based on current KenPom, we will play 15 Q1/Q2 games without pc. We have already won 3 Q2 games and lost a Q1 and a Q2. pc has not won a Q2 or Q1 game yet.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Based on current KenPom, we will play 15 Q1/Q2 games without pc. We have already won 3 Q2 games and lost a Q1 and a Q2. pc has not won a Q2 or Q1 game yet.
Unfortunately because of the bottom of the A10 that number has no where to go but down. Bottom barrel teams always pick up a few unexpected wins dragging everyone down
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley is a bully, a mean bully. Best to stay away from playing his team. Don't play them at least until he is gone from PC as a coach. URI doesn't need that crap. He has zero humility. Just a mean guy. Look up the word selfish in Websters if you want to see his picture.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Based on current KenPom, we will play 15 Q1/Q2 games without pc. We have already won 3 Q2 games and lost a Q1 and a Q2. pc has not won a Q2 or Q1 game yet.
Unfortunately because of the bottom of the A10 that number has no where to go but down. Bottom barrel teams always pick up a few unexpected wins dragging everyone down
Unfortunately we will lose the Seton Hall Q2 win when the NET comes out. They are horrible. A loss by pc to SHU, DePaul or GTown and you got Q3 losses right there. That's not going to be easy.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Unfortunately we will lose the Seton Hall Q2 win when the NET comes out. They are horrible. A loss by pc to SHU, DePaul or GTown and you got Q3 losses right there. That's not going to be easy.
Jury is still out on them. Hopefully Aiken gets them On a roll.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Jury is still out on them. Hopefully Aiken gets them On a roll.
I’m sure they will be fine with Aiken. Mamu was non existent against Oregon and they were still in the game.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

As an out of stater alum that obviously follows URI basketball:

If I were Cox or Thorr, I would not play PC again. I'd end the series unless they put out a statement saying they were wrong to end the series.

PC is typically a better program (can argue they have less NCAA wins in the last decade, but they've been to more so that's why I make that statement). HOWEVER, in years that URI is good, we should not need a PC game to prove we should be in the tournament. We should be building strong enough schedules without them.

I don't fault PC for cancelling the game, they're free to make any schedule changes they see fit. BUT, the way the PC program has responded after the fact shows a lack of class on their part and a lack of respect for our program.

In 2 years if they continue the series, I will have my tickets go unused as my personal boycott, and will do so every other year until Cooley and their AD is gone. There are many things I can let go in life, but I like to think I am a man of principle, and I will never accept being disrespected by the PC comments.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago As an out of stater alum that obviously follows URI basketball:

If I were Cox or Thorr, I would not play PC again. I'd end the series unless they put out a statement saying they were wrong to end the series.

PC is typically a better program (can argue they have less NCAA wins in the last decade, but they've been to more so that's why I make that statement). HOWEVER, in years that URI is good, we should not need a PC game to prove we should be in the tournament. We should be building strong enough schedules without them.

I don't fault PC for cancelling the game, they're free to make any schedule changes they see fit. BUT, the way the PC program has responded after the fact shows a lack of class on their part and a lack of respect for our program.

In 2 years if they continue the series, I will have my tickets go unused as my personal boycott, and will do so every other year until Cooley and their AD is gone. There are many things I can let go in life, but I like to think I am a man of principle, and I will never accept being disrespected by the PC comments.
I said it earlier today, but apparently another post like this warrants me saying it again. This type of rhetoric makes URI Fans look like cry babies. Boycotting a game because of a coach? What world are you living in
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago As an out of stater alum that obviously follows URI basketball:

I said it earlier today, but apparently another post like this warrants me saying it again. This type of rhetoric makes URI Fans look like cry babies. Boycotting a game because of a coach? What world are you living in
Oh the irony, judging ethics while judging ones own personal ethics.

While I could care less either way, I applaud phipsiGD’s stance. It means something to him and that’s OK.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Might have spoken a bit too early. They came back and won their game tonight at Penn State.
“We will be good when we are good.”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

SH is not good, with or without their PG. At best, they are 6th place in the BE.

Significantly better than BC though.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago SH is not good, with or without their PG. At best, they are 6th place in the BE.

So Seton Hall is not good, but yet the BE coaches picked them to finish 5th, so what you're saying is that half the BE is not good then?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago SH is not good, with or without their PG. At best, they are 6th place in the BE.

So Seton Hall is not good, but yet the BE coaches picked them to finish 5th, so what you're saying is that half the BE is not good then?
Yes. And half the Big East is significantly worse than BC
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Eddie Cooley better watch out when he comes to the Ryan Center he gonna get booed baby !!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Eddie should get booed by PC fans.
NCAAs or Bust!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Also as a PC fan I wouldnt speak so soon to say seton hall is not any good. Wait until you play them and lose. Then that would mean you really suck. But I'm sure PC fans will find a way to spin their words again.
woodennickel1
ARD

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago Also as a PC fan I wouldnt speak so soon to say seton hall is not any good. Wait until you play them and lose. Then that would mean you really suck. But I'm sure PC fans will find a way to spin their words again.
That is one PC fan saying that. I believe Seton Hall will be a very good win for you at the end of the year. Even if they don't get Aiken back.
woodennickel1
ARD

reef wrote: 3 years ago Eddie Cooley better watch out when he comes to the Ryan Center he gonna get booed baby !!
I am sure he is very worried about that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC’s one significant win so far this year is against Davidson (by 1 point) who is predicted to finish 7th in the A10.
I would say Davidson is not good.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Let’s retire this thread and not give them or this cancelled game any more credence. It was a chicken shit move; EC has displayed poor class and lack of self awareness when addressing it. More fuel to the fire for when we play them next season. Now we have “bigger fish to fry.”
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

PC’s one significant win so far this year is against Davidson (by 1 point) who is predicted to finish 7th in the A10.
Same Davidson that lost at the buzzer to Texas.
woodennickel1
ARD

Same Davidson that lost at the buzzer to Texas. They will more then likely be a top 100 net win when all is said and done.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think Davidson is a solid win for PC.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago Also as a PC fan I wouldnt speak so soon to say seton hall is not any good. Wait until you play them and lose. Then that would mean you really suck. But I'm sure PC fans will find a way to spin their words again.
That is one PC fan saying that. I believe Seton Hall will be a very good win for you at the end of the year. Even if they don't get Aiken back.
Okay this is something we can agree upon. Seton Hall may have struggled versus URI, Oregon and most of the first half versus Penn State. They did however nearly beat Louisville and were able to pull a win out from Penn state when they were not playing well at all and Penn state shot the lights out.

This tough stretch in their schedule and the way they came back in the final game of this stretch will propel them to develop much more chemistry. And that will only be increased when Aiken is back. I think this is why I disagree with PC scheduling so much is because I truly believe this adversity Seton hall have endure already will prepare them tremendously for Big East play.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I agree I think Davidson is better then 7th in A10 and the Davidson team that competed until the buzzer with Texas is underrated by many. It will be a solid win by PC and most likely in top 100. However, I think you probably would/could or should agree the Davidson team that played PC was not playing well or anywhere near the level they played versus Texas.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PC doesn't owe us anything - but they owe the State of RI. The same state's tax payers who's paid to renovate their piece of shit hockey arena they call home.

They ducked a game that has been played 132 times in 90 years. It's a part of the fabric of this state. Ed Cooley grew up here. He has coached at both school's.

The faux-elitism like the Big East "runs through Providence" would be hilarious if it wasn't pathetic. Like Villanova gives a shit about what PC does.

For two historically under-performing basketball programs - yes, PC is a "better" program than URI. Literally because of the conference they play in.

Congrats on the final four appearance 32 years ago. You've won 1 NCAA tournament game in 21 years. You are not some blue blood program that is "too big" for a rivalry. I've never even heard of any program, of any level, being too big for a rivalry game that they would duck it.

Cooley hates this game because there's a risk URI could beat them and URI's NET might not be as high as they would hope.

Spoken like a true pussy.

Admit you would've gotten rolled this year and that's why you ducked the game. You're Jim Baron with a bigger budget. Most PC fans would agree.

I'd rather lose Dan Hurley and get David Cox than be saddled with a guy who has hit his ceiling of a first round exit.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree I think Davidson is better then 7th in A10 and the Davidson team that competed until the buzzer with Texas is underrated by many. It will be a solid win by PC and most likely in top 100. However, I think you probably would/could or should agree the Davidson team that played PC was not playing well or anywhere near the level they played versus Texas.
I did not se the Davidson game against Texas but would imagine they played a lot better then they did against Pc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is better than playing PC.

Columbus Dispatch/The Athletic Preseason Big Ten poll
1. Illinois 376 (16)
2. Iowa 350 (6)
3. Wisconsin 347 (6)
4. Michigan State 323
5. Rutgers 249
6. Michigan 241
7. Ohio State 229
8. Indiana 212
9. Purdue 179
10. Maryland 141
11. Minnesota 121
12. Penn State 72
13. Nebraska 54
14. Northwestern 47
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Wow you think Greg Gard keeps an Ed Cooley poster on his wall because PC is SO SUPERIOR to lowly Wisconsin?

Real teams with real coaches aren't scared of challenging games.

Pussies who like to pretend they're big time with a 1-5 record in the NCAA tournament get scared of OOC games to rivals.

Funny though - Cooley had no problem playing URI during their toughest rebuild in history and racking up wins against them when they were down. It's only when they started losing games that it "wasn't a rivalry."

Lost two out of your last 3 and cowered away from a 4th Cooley. You big bitch.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Wow you think Greg Gard keeps an Ed Cooley poster on his wall because PC is SO SUPERIOR to lowly Wisconsin?

Real teams with real coaches aren't scared of challenging games.

Pussies who like to pretend they're big time with a 1-5 record in the NCAA tournament get scared of OOC games to rivals.

Funny though - Cooley had no problem playing URI during their toughest rebuild in history and racking up wins against them when they were down. It's only when they started losing games that it "wasn't a rivalry."

Lost two out of your last 3 and cowered away from a 4th Cooley. You big bitch.
Russell was (2-1) against Cooley. Cooley saw (3-1) on the horizon. Most overrated Head Coach in D1 Basketball.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago A lot of the same bashing over and over again in this thread. I get everyone’s frustrated but it really is what it is at this point. You hated PC before 2020 and you can continue hating them in 2021 and beyond.

I by no means want to defend Cooley, and absolutely think he took the cowards way out this year, but imagine your team is struggling and your 5 games into the season getting asked about a team not on your schedule? Has to be super frustrating and he just hit a boiling point after his guys laid another egg against FDU.

My two cents is the rivalry is back on next year whether Cooley likes it or not. A year after losing a full seasons worth of ticket revenue and concessions you can bet your ass any AD in the country wants a guaranteed sell out on their schedule.
.......as for next year and beyond, I unfortunately see a scenario where this game will be ending up at the Dump, every year.......and some cooked up BS where the “team” will alternate from year to year with some concoction of game revenue sharing......hopefully URI folks will not cave into something like this.......I do not even like the game next year at the Dump, PC should have lost that......maybe the series is done for awhile.......rather not play it at all rather the reality/perception that PC dictates the scenario.......just how I feel....
If I'm Thorr and David I look at that PC contract REAL close. I can see a situation where we go up to Providence next year in good faith of restarting the rivalry and then the year after Cooley decides to pull the plug. We should make sure there's no way of that happening and if there is we shouldn't go up to Providence to play them. I think we've seen the last of Cooley in the Ryan Center until PC has fired him and he's hired by an A10 program and tries to jumpstart his coaching career. So maybe in 4 years or so
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I guess you didn't understand my point. I don't care if we never play them again or if they continue the series as if if nothing happened. I believe that the PC view is that URI needs this game more and while they may have been true in the past, I no longer believe it to be so. If they're better then us, they will make the tournament (and maybe one day win an actual game in it). If we are better, we will make the tournament. I actual think ending the series helps the psyche of URI fans, and hurts that of PC fans.
As far as what world do I live in? "Those who stand for nothing fall for everything."
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

I don't care if URI ever plays PC again either. The thing that pisses me off the most is that until recently no one if the media was calling out Cooley for his cowardly act. I mean what kind of coach cancels a rivalry game or any game to play a cupcake game because he is afraid he might lose. Who does that, its an embarrassment to the program. It tells your team you have no confidence in them. I am sure the players wanted to play. Cooley couldn't take the pressure of possibly losing so he backed out. Doesn't sound like someone I would want running my program. If Cooley thought he would win the game he would have played the game because a win over URI helps his program more then a win over FDU and gives you bragging rights in the state. With Cox being willing to play anyone anywhere and PC backing out of its annual game with URI certainly gives the feel that as of now URI is top program in the state this year. Cooley has to be noticing the buzz of URI playing the top teams while he is scheduling FDU. Even a big arrogant asshole like Cooley must be having second thoughts about being such a pussy or at least he should be.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago

I guess you didn't understand my point. I don't care if we never play them again or if they continue the series as if if nothing happened. I believe that the PC view is that URI needs this game more and while they may have been true in the past, I no longer believe it to be so. If they're better then us, they will make the tournament (and maybe one day win an actual game in it). If we are better, we will make the tournament. I actual think ending the series helps the psyche of URI fans, and hurts that of PC fans.
As far as what world do I live in? "Those who stand for nothing fall for everything."
Nothing taught me this more than the 2017 season. URI lost a close game to PC on Dec 3, 2016. Just like any other loss I was disappointed for about a day, but was over it long before their next game (a win vs. ODU). That year I was much more disappointed in the one point loss to Dayton at home - a game we should have won, followed by losing to Fordham, before kicking off a winning streak that ended with an A10 tournament victory and a win over Creighton in the NCAAs. By that point, the loss at PC was meaningless.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The fact that Wisconsin agreed to play URI is the best expose of the many lame excuses Ed "we have bigger fish to fry than URI" Cooley made to justify his getting out of the game. The Badgers also play in a tough conference where they get to play lots of Quadrant 1 rivals and the possibility of a loss to URI doesn't bother them as much as it bothered Cooley. Maybe Wisconsin's confidence makes the difference.

Unlike Wisconsin, URI represents a long standing rival to PC and the rivalry game is as intense as it gets. In fact it is known as the best rivalry game that goes unnoticed nationally. There is no other New England state that has a rivalry game like URI versus PC. Yet for all the uniqueness that this game represents to the state, especially in this depressing pandemic year, and the need to give it even more national notoriety, Coach Cooley, a RI native, sadly chose to take the low road by focusing on his NET rating and confirming that he is not a broad or magnanimous thinker.