2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Ramulous »

It’s a conspiracy theory I hold..... the big east does not want to play games against A10 teams unless they have to....they don’t want to chance losing these games
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago Is UCONN still our most frequently played opponent in the team's history?

Definitely hyped for any possibility of a game between the two in 2020. Fingers crossed for some good news
I think Brown recently (or maybe not so recently anymore) passed UConn as the most played a few years ago. But if they hadn't decided to duck us in the 80s they'd be far and away our most played opponent.

Looking it up, this isn't entirely accurate. Here's the top 25 opponents played.
Capture.JPG
UConn is down to 3rd, and unless Providence decides to extend their ducking past this season, UConn will go down to 4th in 13 years. Both Brown and UMass passed UConn as all time most played opponent in the past 20 years I would estimate. Have they played us since the 1997 NIT preseason game? Assuming we continue to play UMass twice a year and Brown once, then I estimate UMass will pass Brown in the 2025-26 season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago It’s a conspiracy theory I hold..... the big east does not want to play games against A10 teams unless they have to....they don’t want to chance losing these games
and it has been that way since Dave Gavitt formed the Big East. Not going to change. Wasting time thinking about the possibility.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago Is UCONN still our most frequently played opponent in the team's history?

Definitely hyped for any possibility of a game between the two in 2020. Fingers crossed for some good news
I think Brown recently (or maybe not so recently anymore) passed UConn as the most played a few years ago. But if they hadn't decided to duck us in the 80s they'd be far and away our most played opponent.

Looking it up, this isn't entirely accurate. Here's the top 25 opponents played.

Capture.JPG

UConn is down to 3rd, and unless Providence decides to extend their ducking past this season, UConn will go down to 4th in 13 years. Both Brown and UMass passed UConn as all time most played opponent in the past 20 years I would estimate. Have they played us since the 1997 NIT preseason game? Assuming we continue to play UMass twice a year and Brown once, then I estimate UMass will pass Brown in the 2025-26 season.
Geez, when was the last time we played Springfield? The 1940s?
Slava Ukraini!
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

For curiosity sake, why is Springfield on the list twice?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While UConn may be the third most played team all time for URI, it is a bit different in Storrs. The Huskies most played all time team is URI by far. Their second most played opponent (UNH) is nearly 30 games behind. Keep in mind that this stat still stands as such despite UConn rarely playing Rhody in the last 35 years.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago While UConn may be the third most played team all time for URI, it is a bit different in Storrs. The Huskies most played all time team is URI by far. Their second most played opponent (UNH) is nearly 30 games behind. Keep in mind that this stat still stands as such despite UConn rarely playing Rhody in the last 35 years.
Good point - I didn't look it up on the opposite direction. But until the Big East was formed, we typically played UConn twice a year if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of other local teams that both UConn and URI played at least once a year. BC, Holy Cross, Providence, St. John's, UNH, etc. Although I didn't look up the specifics and can't say they played EVERY year, but almost certainly most seasons. I would imagine that if URI is UConn's most played opponent, is UMass far behind? I would have to guess that they played each other most seasons prior to the big east, though I don't know that for sure.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Uconn is going to play Richmond on Monday if all Covid tests come back negative. That kills any potential Rhody game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow UConn Richmond will be a war
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need another game pronto. Make it happen Dave Cox!!!!!!!!!!
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

What channel is the bc game?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True gonna be a long week if we don’t play til the 13th
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago What channel is the bc game?
Cancelled.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't know how Richmond can play UConn on Monday, Dec. 7. Richmond announced earlier this week that they were pausing and, as a consequence, did not play the scheduled game versus C. of Charleston on Wednesday and have cancelled Saturday's home opener against Furman. The current CDC protocol now recommends 7-10 day pause, and that is beyond the Monday date.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago I don't know how Richmond can play UConn on Monday, Dec. 7. Richmond announced earlier this week that they were pausing and, as a consequence, did not play the scheduled game versus C. of Charleston on Wednesday and have cancelled Saturday's home opener against Furman. The current CDC protocol now recommends 7-10 day pause, and that is beyond the Monday date.
Because of testing. Its what every school should do. No need for a 2 week "pause" isolate and contact trace. Once everyone else is negative start playing again.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Hurley you freakin wimp!

GO RHODY!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

how would everyone feel if uri played uconn and nobody could watch it in person and the game is not televised? would you still want them to play?
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago how would everyone feel if uri played uconn and nobody could watch it in person and the game is not televised? would you still want them to play?
Yes, although I'd push back against the non televised part if I was URI and coach Cox. That is a bit extreme IMO, but if push came to shove I'd take a game under those circumstances over no game at all.

(Don and Steve do a great job on the radio)
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago how would everyone feel if uri played uconn and nobody could watch it in person and the game is not televised? would you still want them to play?
Yes, although I'd push back against the non televised part if I was URI and coach Cox. That is a bit extreme IMO, but if push came to shove I'd take a game under those circumstances over no game at all.

(Don and Steve do a great job on the radio)

i was thinking of it more from a fan perspective than a coach cox perspective. assuming it was short notice, not sure how they would get tv to pick it up. But good point on Don and Steve. Hadn't considered the radio.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am sure if URI played UConn there would be some way to watch it
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Now that UConn's game against NC State has been canceled today, they may be looking for another quality opponent soon.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Now that UConn's game against NC State has been canceled today, they may be looking for another quality opponent soon.
They are. They came to play Vanderbilt and USC (tournament) and a stand alone game against NC State in the “bubble” and got exactly one of those games in, with Vanderbilt and and NC State shutting down.

I want to be excited for this season, but it’s like starting a road trip vacation, having to go back to the house because you forgot stuff and then having your car break down and then, finally getting to the resort only to learn it’s burned down and a hurricane is coming. And then there’s bees, for no reason at all.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Now that UConn's game against NC State has been canceled today, they may be looking for another quality opponent soon.
They are. They came to play Vanderbilt and USC (tournament) and a stand alone game against NC State in the “bubble” and got exactly one of those games in, with Vanderbilt and and NC State shutting down.

I want to be excited for this season, but it’s like starting a road trip vacation, having to go back to the house because you forgot stuff and then having your car break down and then, finally getting to the resort only to learn it’s burned down and a hurricane is coming. And then there’s bees, for no reason at all.
And no toilet paper.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago

And no toilet paper.
But, fortunately, we hit up the package store just in time, and we have a good stash of coffee.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago

And no toilet paper.
And someone who refuses to grasp the enormous tragedy of the situation is complaining to some poor employee that the complimentary breakfast is not available.

It’s a whole mess.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

These games for high midmajors and P5 teams have to be televised to generate television revenue

Money talks

None of these teams just want to play in order to play....not too many fans want to watch Fairleigh Dickinson play Longwood
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oregon needs a game and would travel anywhere to play it...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I got so excited when I saw this, then I re-read it.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Oregon needs a game and would travel anywhere to play it...
They beat Seton Hall by 13 last night. I think that would be a good game to play at the Ryan Center.
“We will be good when we are good.”
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Oregon needs a game and would travel anywhere to play it...
Yes please!! I still get irrationally upset whenever I see Dillon Brooks in any Grizzlies highlights. Would love to dish out some payback for 2017
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rich v UConn is officially off for monday. Leaves a slight crack in the door to possibly schedule a game with them. I still say highly doubtful but as the window closes makes more and more sense to schedule someone close by.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes please!! I still get irrationally upset whenever I see Dillon Brooks in any Grizzlies highlights. Would love to dish out some payback for 2017

Two missed free throws by them, followed by an offensive rebound and a deep 3 from Tyler Dorsey.

If we get that rebound, we’re Sweet 16 bound and possible Elite 8.

Never forget.
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Outside of UCONN and PC, what team would you like to see Rhody play this week?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Outside of UCONN and PC, what team would you like to see Rhody play this week?
OOC? Rutgers or another Big East team like St John’s. I’d say Syracuse but I can’t stand looking at Boeheim’s face.
Slava Ukraini!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Outside of UCONN and PC, what team would you like to see Rhody play this week?
Iona. They don’t play again until Friday, so this would work. Not bad travel for Iona. A Pitino team would be a good test.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’d be ok with Iona.
Slava Ukraini!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Iona. They don’t play again until Friday, so this would work. Not bad travel for Iona. A Pitino team would be a good test.
P.S. This was a quick thought, not a result of checking this week’s schedule for multiple P5 schools. Obviously, I would prefer a game against a P5 school. I also gave thought to a school that would be more likely to schedule a game and travel to Kingston on short notice.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't think it matters who we play at this point. Just need another game. We've played KenPom 29(L),60(W),75(W),85(L) and 100(W) with 74 Western Kentucky coming up. Would be nice to get a Q1 win, but 10 days off is brutal.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Anyone at this point, too long a lay off before Western Kentucky. Rutgers though would be great on 12/10 or 12/11, they play Syracuse on 12/8.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Think BIG we do!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I want UConn.

Period.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Would be happy with any Division 1 team good or bad. Not much choice on short notice
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
Would be happy with any Division 1 team good or bad. Not much choice on short notice
There are 353 teams we ought to be able to find one of them! We also have to think about how our game at WKU is not guaranteed! Must expedite the process.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I was expecting something would have been ironed out by now. Hoping they can get something in early this week.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Theses are horrible picks.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Theses are horrible picks.
If they can do better, I’m all for it. Given this time of increasing Covid cases and hospitalizations and corresponding restrictions, I think you take what you can get. Any such game should be played no later than Thursday, which doesn’t leave much time. I would rather not have us travel either, which would likely rule out any P5 school.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Already traveling to Kentucky. Could play Fri and then Sunday vs WKU.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Already traveling to Kentucky. Could play Fri and then Sunday vs WKU.
It's Toppin time
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Western Kentucky is next Sunday December 13th at noon.
Next Game is Davidson Friday December 18 at 7pm at the Ryan Center

Road games are not like the past. No fans, just two teams playing in an arena. Games are more neutral than home or away. Go to Bowling Green and try to get a game or two within bus ride.
Bowling Green Kentucky is close to Tennessee
So thinking BIG I'd try for a game this week - Wed, Thurs or Fri within Bus Ride of Bowling Green OR the following week Tuesday or Wednesday - they return to TF Green. Make the trip to Bowling Green a 2 game or maybe even a 3 game trip with a game this week, then WKU Sunday and another game the following week prior to Davidson.
Thinking BIG Options:
Tennessee with Rick Barnes
Vanderbilt where Tommy Garrick Assistant Coached WMB Team
Memphis
Louisville
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Clemson (with Antonio Reynolds Dean)

Next Level Options:
East Tennessee State
Middle Tennessee State
Belmont
Chattanooga
Furman
North Alabama
Lipscomb
UNC Ashville
Alabama - Birmingham
Northern Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky
Bowling Green
Miami Ohio
Ohio U

Lot's of opportunities. Make 1 flight - rest by bus.