Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Blueram from day one, has had no intention of letting facts get in the way of his opinions regarding covid.
I know, right? We have 1300 deaths in the state and 990 are from nursing homes. That's after the shutdown of visitors. But the latest "Pause" closes gyms and bars. Because we all know people in nursing homes are rocking the gyms and partying until 1am. What are the elected officials doing about nursing homes? NOTHING.
It’s a good thing nobody that ever goes to a gym, bar or restaurant ever interacts with a person that lives or works in a nursing home. Obviously the virus has ripped thru nursing homes across the country via the nursing home spacetime portal that directly connects every nursing home directly to other nursing homes.
No one is allowed to visit a nursing home. Per the Governor's order. Since March.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I know, right? We have 1300 deaths in the state and 990 are from nursing homes. That's after the shutdown of visitors. But the latest "Pause" closes gyms and bars. Because we all know people in nursing homes are rocking the gyms and partying until 1am. What are the elected officials doing about nursing homes? NOTHING.
It’s a good thing nobody that ever goes to a gym, bar or restaurant ever interacts with a person that lives or works in a nursing home. Obviously the virus has ripped thru nursing homes across the country via the nursing home spacetime portal that directly connects every nursing home directly to other nursing homes.
No one is allowed to visit a nursing home. Per the Governor's order. Since March.
Correct. March 12.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What does that have to do with anything? Do you have any idea how these things spread? Obviously the virus is getting into nursing homes. People work there - these facilities are not hermetically sealed bubbles even if they aren’t letting visitors in. It’s about more than just nursing homes - this idea applies broadly. The more people interact in person - even young healthy people - the wider the virus will spread, and the greater the likelihood that one of those young healthy people will carry the virus interact with a vulnerable population. The people getting sick and dying are generally not the ones flaunting common sense and going out to eat with their friends, there’s probably several degrees of separation between the careless people and the people who ultimately pay the price for that carelessness.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What does that have to do with anything? Do you have any idea how these things spread? Obviously the virus is getting into nursing homes. People work there - these facilities are not hermetically sealed bubbles even if they aren’t letting visitors in. It’s about more than just nursing homes - this idea applies broadly. The more people interact in person - even young healthy people - the wider the virus will spread, and the greater the likelihood that one of those young healthy people will carry the virus interact with a vulnerable population. The people getting sick and dying are generally not the ones flaunting common sense and going out to eat with their friends, there’s probably several degrees of separation between the careless people and the people who ultimately pay the price for that carelessness.
Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying we should shut down society so nursing home people should live? Or are you saying we should shut down society because nursing home people should live? The people dying are in nursing homes. Of course they are not going out dining. But elected officials have ignored them from day 1. That is the issue.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nursing homes have to have people come in from the outside to take care of them.

Should those people be tested constantly so they don't bring the virus in with them?

What else can be done? For nursing home residents, getting covid is basically a death sentence.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Nursing homes have to have people come in from the outside to take care of them.

Should those people be tested constantly so they don't bring the virus in with them?

What else can be done? For nursing home residents, getting covid is basically a death sentence.
Agreed. This is the issue. Frail people do not do well with covid. How do we protect them? Not sure. But shut down society? Not sure. Slippery slope for sure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying we should shut down society so nursing home people should live? Or are you saying we should shut down society because nursing home people should live? The people dying are in nursing homes. Of course they are not going out dining. But elected officials have ignored them from day 1. That is the issue.
Especially true in New York.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s not just about nursing homes. As I said, broadly it is the responsibility - the moral responsibility - of people to behave in a manner that protects vulnerable people even if they themselves are not vulnerable. I get that it sucks to have to make a sacrifice to protect your neighbor. But it’s better than sacrificing your neighbor so you can pretend that everything is just normal and the pandemic is no big deal. At least to me.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s getting worse 200,000 cases and 2800 deaths across USA

Going to be a rough couple months and then things hopefully start to improve

Let’s keep our URI players Covid free baby
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Our individual political leanings color our perception of the pandemic. So there’s that.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Political views has a lot to do with the media narratives
You would think the cases are continuing to skyrocket at unprecedented rates.
US Graphs of cases with 7-day averages Now show peak In cases and beginning to decline. Vaccines on the way from AstraZenica/Oxford University, Pfizer/BioNtch and from Moderna.
Will we see a spike from Thanksgiving Travel? We will know soon.
9339DE55-EED7-45FE-9046-29036536CEF9.jpeg
56C86A15-821A-44EA-8404-E46F0C9E7699.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Political views has a lot to do with the media narratives
US Graphs of cases with 7-day averages Now show peak In cases and beginning to decline. Vaccines on the way from AstraZenica/Oxford University, Pfizer/BioNtch and from Moderna.

9339DE55-EED7-45FE-9046-29036536CEF9.jpeg56C86A15-821A-44EA-8404-E46F0C9E7699.jpeg
The "dip" in your chart covers Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend, when I imagine people probably weren't running out to get tested. If you want to bet that December cases are going to be lower than November, I'm positive you can get many a taker for your money.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Political views has a lot to do with the media narratives

9339DE55-EED7-45FE-9046-29036536CEF9.jpeg56C86A15-821A-44EA-8404-E46F0C9E7699.jpeg
I wouldn’t count your chickens on a decline. Yesterday we had by far the most deaths due to COVID since the pandemic began - a 20% increase over the previous high.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/u ... index.html
The number of Covid-19 patients in US hospitals will stay high for months, the CDC's top official said Wednesday.

"The reality is, December and January and February are going to be rough times. I actually believe they're going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of this nation, largely because of the stress that's going to be put on our health care system," said Dr. Robert Redfield.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Especially true in New York.
I think 80%+ of the RI deaths are nursing home residents. It wasn't just a NY problem. RI nursing homes test staff 1 time per week, mandatory. Not sure if its possible to do it more often but as TP said the virus gets in from staff and that is very difficult to prevent.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI Covid.jpg
Well now that basketball is back, might as well get in on this too. Is it possible that it's somewhere in between?

Stats came out this week that 990 deaths out of 1300 were in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. So it's obvious that there's a contingent of this population that needs to have more stringent protections than others.

1st off the virus isn't a hoax. My parents, my 11 month old, my wife, and I all had it within the last month. It's real. Also, all of us beat it with little more than chicken noodle soup, rest, and a 2 week quarantine.

2nd, I am not going to post anything about what to do/not do - because I think it's up to individuals to make their own decisions about how to handle their own health as well as the health and safety of their families.

3rd, the argument here is not people thinking it's real or not; it's people having the freedom to weigh their own risks against their own choices in how they go about their day-to-day lives.

This virus very clearly affects everyone differently, so it seems a bit ridiculous to demand a blanket approach or shut down to people's livelihoods when the data shows an incredibly varied reaction to Covid.

The beauty of America is a free access to information, allowing for individuals of varying ages, overall health, individual situations to have the freedom to make their own choices.

I am yet to see anyone on the side of "freedom" to say "everyone needs to leave their house and not wear a mask and go to crowded areas.” In fact, I've seen just the opposite. The beauty of freedom is that everyone can make their own choices - so those who have diminished health, are of an "at risk" age, or those that just simply don't want to risk getting the disease can and should stay locked in their houses until a vaccine can be delivered, or they feel safe to resume normal life.

It is ridiculously self-centered and selfish to demand that your neighbors who own a restaurant risk losing their business and home if neither they nor their families are in a "high risk" population, or if they feel the "risk" of this disease does not outweigh their family going homeless.

Likewise, it is ridiculously self-centered for someone like me to say "you need to leave your house because this virus isn't that bad" - which is why I am not saying that.

There is enough data out there for people to make their own decisions on how to move forward. It's very clear there is a distinctive "at risk" population that should be under stringent protections.

It's also very clear that an overwhelming majority of people are decidedly not at risk, and if they feel comfortable enough, they should be free to go about their daily lives as normal. In that scenario, if the "at risk" population is staying home, ordering groceries on-line, doing online shopping, and staying away from situations that might expose them to the virus - then those worlds will never collide.

It might also be nice for those of the at-risk, or fearful population, to come back to a local society that still has restaurants and small businesses to patronize - rather than just big box stores and fast food chains.

Again - this is a real virus that affects everyone differently. My whole family from 11 months to 70 years old got it. In fact we all got it from a doctor who is more cautious wearing a mask and being in a risky situation than anyone else I know. It was only "bad" for one of us, and the "bad" was like a bad flu that required nothing more than fluids, sleep, and tylenol for a few days. One had a fever for a day. One lost taste and smell for a week and had a bad cold. I got a headache for 2 days and had a little bit of congestion.

If you are at-risk or are afraid, you should stay in your home and not interact with the outside world until there is a vaccine or you feel safe enough to do so. But there is enough data out there to allow for people of different opinions, ages, and with varying overall health conditions to make their own choices and weigh the risks of a disease with an incredibly high survival rate, and incredibly high rate of mild symptoms, against their ability to make a living.

Why the opinion of "everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing" has provided hateful arguments filled with divisive vitriol aimed at one another is beyond me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I wouldn’t count your chickens on a decline. Yesterday we had by far the most deaths due to COVID since the pandemic began - a 20% increase over the previous high.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/u ... index.html
The number of Covid-19 patients in US hospitals will stay high for months, the CDC's top official said Wednesday.

"The reality is, December and January and February are going to be rough times. I actually believe they're going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of this nation, largely because of the stress that's going to be put on our health care system," said Dr. Robert Redfield.
Deaths lag cases by 2 weeks
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hospitalizations are up too. Virtually nobody thinks that cases are going to decline over the next several months. Help is on the way in the form of the various vaccines that are likely to be approved and distributed in 2021, but it’s going to get much worse before it gets better unfortunately.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

The "dip" in your chart covers Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend, when I imagine people probably weren't running out to get tested. If you want to bet that December cases are going to be lower than November, I'm positive you can get many a taker for your money.
Pick me!!! Pick me!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Massachusetts reported two days worth of data on the Friday after Thanksgiving because they didn't report any data on Thanksgiving itself, so a day-to-day chart can be misleading. I wouldn't read much into a single day or even multi-day dip/spike... the larger trends are much more indicative (and not good right now, unfortunately).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

Massachusetts reported two days worth of data on the Friday after Thanksgiving because they didn't report any data on Thanksgiving itself, so a day-to-day chart can be misleading. I wouldn't read much into a single day or even multi-day dip/spike... the larger trends are much more indicative (and not good right now, unfortunately).
The Cases and Deaths graphs I attached have the 7-day average to account for day to day variation. Most states underreport on the weekend days. The graphs smooth out with 7-day. There is also an option for 3-day average but I prefer 7-day.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhode Island recorded 1,330 positive cases today, the highest daily total ever.. The New York Times daily report has the State at #5 in infection rate per capita as of this morning. If positive cases continue at this level, Rhode Island will soon be at #1.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island recorded 1,330 positive cases today, the highest daily total ever.. The New York Times daily report has the State at #5 in infection rate per capita as of this morning. If positive cases continue at this level, Rhode Island will soon be at #1.
Hope I’m not jinxing anything but it’s amazing that the team hasn’t had any problems so far.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

South County, other than NK, has by far the lowest positive rates in the state, and cases in total.

The northern part of the state is bad.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Deaths are far from the complete story. A person who had a cancerous lung removed is a cancer survivor, but he'll have 50 percent (at best) of his lung function for the rest of his life.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago RI Covid.jpg

Well now that basketball is back, might as well get in on this too. Is it possible that it's somewhere in between?

Stats came out this week that 990 deaths out of 1300 were in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. So it's obvious that there's a contingent of this population that needs to have more stringent protections than others.

1st off the virus isn't a hoax. My parents, my 11 month old, my wife, and I all had it within the last month. It's real. Also, all of us beat it with little more than chicken noodle soup, rest, and a 2 week quarantine.

2nd, I am not going to post anything about what to do/not do - because I think it's up to individuals to make their own decisions about how to handle their own health as well as the health and safety of their families.

3rd, the argument here is not people thinking it's real or not; it's people having the freedom to weigh their own risks against their own choices in how they go about their day-to-day lives.

This virus very clearly affects everyone differently, so it seems a bit ridiculous to demand a blanket approach or shut down to people's livelihoods when the data shows an incredibly varied reaction to Covid.

The beauty of America is a free access to information, allowing for individuals of varying ages, overall health, individual situations to have the freedom to make their own choices.

I am yet to see anyone on the side of "freedom" to say "everyone needs to leave their house and not wear a mask and go to crowded areas.” In fact, I've seen just the opposite. The beauty of freedom is that everyone can make their own choices - so those who have diminished health, are of an "at risk" age, or those that just simply don't want to risk getting the disease can and should stay locked in their houses until a vaccine can be delivered, or they feel safe to resume normal life.

It is ridiculously self-centered and selfish to demand that your neighbors who own a restaurant risk losing their business and home if neither they nor their families are in a "high risk" population, or if they feel the "risk" of this disease does not outweigh their family going homeless.

Likewise, it is ridiculously self-centered for someone like me to say "you need to leave your house because this virus isn't that bad" - which is why I am not saying that.

There is enough data out there for people to make their own decisions on how to move forward. It's very clear there is a distinctive "at risk" population that should be under stringent protections.

It's also very clear that an overwhelming majority of people are decidedly not at risk, and if they feel comfortable enough, they should be free to go about their daily lives as normal. In that scenario, if the "at risk" population is staying home, ordering groceries on-line, doing online shopping, and staying away from situations that might expose them to the virus - then those worlds will never collide.

It might also be nice for those of the at-risk, or fearful population, to come back to a local society that still has restaurants and small businesses to patronize - rather than just big box stores and fast food chains.

Again - this is a real virus that affects everyone differently. My whole family from 11 months to 70 years old got it. In fact we all got it from a doctor who is more cautious wearing a mask and being in a risky situation than anyone else I know. It was only "bad" for one of us, and the "bad" was like a bad flu that required nothing more than fluids, sleep, and tylenol for a few days. One had a fever for a day. One lost taste and smell for a week and had a bad cold. I got a headache for 2 days and had a little bit of congestion.

If you are at-risk or are afraid, you should stay in your home and not interact with the outside world until there is a vaccine or you feel safe enough to do so. But there is enough data out there to allow for people of different opinions, ages, and with varying overall health conditions to make their own choices and weigh the risks of a disease with an incredibly high survival rate, and incredibly high rate of mild symptoms, against their ability to make a living.

Why the opinion of "everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing" has provided hateful arguments filled with divisive vitriol aimed at one another is beyond me.
Sorry, but this politically tinged post is totally inappropriate for a sports message board. It is also off the specific subject of this thread. I look to this thread for information on any potential cancellations of URI games and also info that relates to whether URI will allow a limited number of fans into any future games. BTW, for those who believe there is beauty and value at any age, the categorization of people into vulnerable and not so vulnerable categories is horrific.
Last edited by Obadiah 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago RI Covid.jpg

Sorry, but this politically tinged post is totally inappropriate for a sports message board. It is also off the specific subject of this thread. I look to this thread for information on any potential cancellations of URI games and also info that relates to whether URI will allow a limited number of fans into any future games. BTW, for those believe there is beauty and value at any age, the categorization of people into vulnerable and not so vulnerable categories is horrific.
Totally agree with this last take. A lot of this thread has become Groundhog Day: people posting the same ideas they did months ago, regardless of which side you’re on. There is also the political undercurrent. No one is going to change anyone’s mind, if that is the goal with some of these posts. I think we need to go back to how Covid is impacting college basketball and maybe sports in general and leave it at that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI should tear up Cox's contract and give him what they would have paid DH. I'm convinced that he can flat out recruit for himself. Because this is the worst of times to find the money to give a coach a big raise, this makes it the best time to do it. If we don't lock him up, he's gone.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago URI should tear up Cox's contract and give him what they would have paid DH. I'm convinced that he can flat out recruit for himself. Because this is the worst of times to find the money to give a coach a big raise, this makes it the best time to do it. If we don't lock him up, he's gone.
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you. But the current economic situation may not be conducive to such a contract. If we make the NCAAs (presuming they’re held) then I’m sure a new contract should be forthcoming
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago URI should tear up Cox's contract and give him what they would have paid DH. I'm convinced that he can flat out recruit for himself. Because this is the worst of times to find the money to give a coach a big raise, this makes it the best time to do it. If we don't lock him up, he's gone.
Tommy Penders said, "because Texas added a zero at the end"
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I mean, we are 10 deep with a very talented rotation on our roster after losing 2 players who at this time last year I thought would be probable starters this season. AND especially as demonstrated early in this season and highlighted by the win going away vs Seton Hall last night, David's coaching has been shown to be approaching Hurley's in a relatively short amount of time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ha I remember that about Penders' Texas offer.

He was making 50K a year here, and Texas offered 500K.

That was a lot of money back then.

He would have stayed here for considerably less than 500K, but good ol' cheapo URI wouldn't budge.

Tom was a great guy, a great bench coach, average recruiter. Like Al, he didn't care much about that part of the job [recruiting]
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I am forecasting that we lose Cox tw9 years from now after his 5th season. We are not allowed to have nice things.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
I’m sensitive to the concerns about the thread derailing but just to be clear on this point, the fact that people who own businesses are being put into a position where they have to choose between losing their life’s work and livelihood or helping to facilitate community transmission is a massive failure on the part of our government. The government should be every bit as willing to bail out people who own restaurants and other point-of-sale businesses and their employees during the pandemic as they were to bail out Wall Street after it wrecked the economy a decade ago. People shouldn’t be put in the position to have to make that choice.

As far as people who want to frequent those businesses essentially because they’re bored sitting at home during the pandemic, even if a person can accurately determine their personal level of risk and they can live with that amount of risk, people aren’t necessarily good at determining (or caring about) the risk that they create for others. It’s not just about you doing what’s best for you in this type of situation. Your decisions impact others, and during a pandemic you could realistically kill someone even if you personally never deal with any serious illness. Just like your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose, your freedom to do whatever the hell you want should end where you doing whatever the hell you want presents fatal risk downstream to you.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Our individual political leanings color our perception of the pandemic. So there’s that.
Wait...whaaat?! :lol:
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I’m sensitive to the concerns about the thread derailing but just to be clear on this point, the fact that people who own businesses are being put into a position where they have to choose between losing their life’s work and livelihood or helping to facilitate community transmission is a massive failure on the part of our government. The government should be every bit as willing to bail out people who own restaurants and other point-of-sale businesses and their employees during the pandemic as they were to bail out Wall Street after it wrecked the economy a decade ago. People shouldn’t be put in the position to have to make that choice.

As far as people who want to frequent those businesses essentially because they’re bored sitting at home during the pandemic, even if a person can accurately determine their personal level of risk and they can live with that amount of risk, people aren’t necessarily good at determining (or caring about) the risk that they create for others. It’s not just about you doing what’s best for you in this type of situation. Your decisions impact others, and during a pandemic you could realistically kill someone even if you personally never deal with any serious illness. Just like your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose, your freedom to do whatever the hell you want should end where you doing whatever the hell you want presents fatal risk downstream to you.
Correct if the government is going to shut down small businesses then they should bail them out. The fact they are getting left out there to die is a tragedy and I know a couple in their 30's that killed themselves over losing their business.

I just dont know how you quantify the level of responsibility an individual must assume in regards to this situation.

Obviously stay away from the elderly, vulnerable and those who don't want to be around anybody.

Individuals have more of a responsibility to keep themselves safe. If you're vulnerable or flat out dont want to get the virus, you alone will give yourself the best chance of making sure you're safe.

If you're a high risk person and you decide to go to a bar or a club then you are assuming the risk. If you go out of your house and walk into a packed grocery store or any public place right now you are assuming the risk.

Masks or no masks there is a risk involved because you're in a indoor public environment. Everyone that walks into a building with people in it should know they could potentially get the virus there.

You also mention how people frequent small businesses because they are bored. Well people also do the same with grocery stores. You don't have to go in a grocery store anymore. You can have your groceries/food delivered to you. You can order it online and they bring it to your car. You can go to a drive thru.

If you get the virus its more your fault than anybody else and it shouldn't be up to anybody or especially the government to decide how everyone should live their lives.

Like blueman said. The data and science is out there for you to educate yourself with. The knowledge is at our fingertips.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I do not go to the grocery store because I'm bored. I go because the initial lockdown ramped up the home cooking expectations too much. I just don't have a good feeling about ordering groceries online. We spend the bulk of our grocery dollars on fresh produce and meat...and I really need to look that shiz over. You can look at the flyer and online, but if you get there and the strawberries aren't up to your standard, or the steak is too thin, or has too much fat...you're stuck. I probably wouldn't even ask a friend to buy that stuff for me, never mind pay a stranger to pick it out...

Question for med professionals here: Let's say I was dx'd + for covid 3-4 weeks ago - (I wasn't, but let's say I was) - and I'm negative now. Do I still need to wear a mask?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I do not go to the grocery store because I'm bored. I go because the initial lockdown ramped up the home cooking expectations too much. I just don't have a good feeling about ordering groceries online. We spend the bulk of our grocery dollars on fresh produce and meat...and I really need to look that shiz over. You can look at the flyer and online, but if you get there and the strawberries aren't up to your standard, or the steak is too thin, or has too much fat...you're stuck. I probably wouldn't even ask a friend to buy that stuff for me, never mind pay a stranger to pick it out...

Question for med professionals here: Let's say I was dx'd + for covid 3-4 weeks ago - (I wasn't, but let's say I was) - and I'm negative now. Do I still need to wear a mask?
And what about after the vaccine?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I do not go to the grocery store because I'm bored. I go because the initial lockdown ramped up the home cooking expectations too much. I just don't have a good feeling about ordering groceries online. We spend the bulk of our grocery dollars on fresh produce and meat...and I really need to look that shiz over. You can look at the flyer and online, but if you get there and the strawberries aren't up to your standard, or the steak is too thin, or has too much fat...you're stuck. I probably wouldn't even ask a friend to buy that stuff for me, never mind pay a stranger to pick it out...
Have you tried Belmonts curbside? Done it twice, fabulous and all the fresh produce was bang on. If not give it a whirl!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I never realized that there were so many undertakers on this Board.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

abc.JPG
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

mods - please rename this thread "Personal opinions on COVID as espoused by various Facebook doctors, epidemiologists, and social scientists"
That way those of us who are looking for the effect on hoops and sports won't be tricked to click.

Thank you.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of this morning's New York Times, Rhode Island now ranks #2, just behind South Dakota, with an infection rate of 113.2 cases per 100,000 over the last week. Given these stats, the current URI ban on spectators for OOC games is likely to be extended to conference games. URI's home schedule starts off with three straight home games - Davidson on December 18, St. Bonnies on Dec. 30 and St. Joe's on Jan. 3. No official word on this yet, but it's not looking good.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RI is the 3rd most densely populated state. Could be a contributing factor.
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Correct if the government is going to shut down small businesses then they should bail them out. The fact they are getting left out there to die is a tragedy and I know a couple in their 30's that killed themselves over losing their business.

I just dont know how you quantify the level of responsibility an individual must assume in regards to this situation.

Obviously stay away from the elderly, vulnerable and those who don't want to be around anybody.

Individuals have more of a responsibility to keep themselves safe. If you're vulnerable or flat out dont want to get the virus, you alone will give yourself the best chance of making sure you're safe.

If you're a high risk person and you decide to go to a bar or a club then you are assuming the risk. If you go out of your house and walk into a packed grocery store or any public place right now you are assuming the risk.

Masks or no masks there is a risk involved because you're in a indoor public environment. Everyone that walks into a building with people in it should know they could potentially get the virus there.

You also mention how people frequent small businesses because they are bored. Well people also do the same with grocery stores. You don't have to go in a grocery store anymore. You can have your groceries/food delivered to you. You can order it online and they bring it to your car. You can go to a drive thru.

If you get the virus its more your fault than anybody else and it shouldn't be up to anybody or especially the government to decide how everyone should live their lives.

Like blueman said. The data and science is out there for you to educate yourself with. The knowledge is at our fingertips.
Another inappropriate post for a sports message forum.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Another inappropriate post for a sports message forum.
Another worthless condescending response.

Seriously tho?

All I said was its more so your fault if you get the virus from a social gathering. How can you blame anyone but yourself for that when you know there is a pandemic and should be assuming the risk in any public environment?

Its not like I'm saying its a hoax. Jesus christ.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The problem I have with what you said is that the virus would spread even if we had zero social gatherings because there are going to be essential interactions that cannot be avoided. It’s not necessarily someone’s fault if they catch the virus. Reducing or eliminating social gatherings can limit spread, but won’t do so entirely (as we saw in the spring). The issue is with respect to the volume of cases and speed of spread. If you determine you’re healthy enough to survive catching the virus (as most people are) and based on that decide that you can just go about normal life you’ll probably be fine. But if everyone did that, spread would explode, and if spread explodes then vulnerable populations will necessarily be more exposed. It’s just a math exercise, and I know that it sucks if you’re healthy and aren’t scared of the virus to sacrifice joy so that somebody you probably don’t know can avoid getting sick and dying. But if you look at this at a societal level and not just in terms of yourself and your family then the imperative to isolate to the extent possible becomes clear.

Tl;dr: Any given person will likely be fine but if everyone approached it that way then the math says more people will die.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Duquesne has paused all activities for its basketball program as there have been positive covid tests within it. The list of A- 10 teams on pause now looks like this:

Fordham
St Bonaventure
UMass
St Joe's
GMU
Richmond
Duquesne

Seven teams translate into half the league currently shut down due to the virus.

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Duquesne has paused all activities for its basketball program as there have been positive covid tests within it. The list of A- 10 teams on pause now looks like this:

Fordham
St Bonaventure
UMass
St Joe's
GMU
Richmond
Duquesne

Seven teams translate into half the league currently shut down due to the virus.

Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of those make that pause permanent.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NC State men's basketball's game with UConn on Saturday has been canceled after the team learned late Friday evening that a member of its traveling party has tested positive for COVID-19.
I was looking forward to watching this game today.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is what the A10 should have gone. Much less travel.
Less exposure to COVID.
This option was in the table but they didn’t go for it.