Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by CamsRams »

Toppin waiver approved.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I stated it previously.....they’re going to grant every waiver request
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This might be a negative for him
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That hurts
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

All the buzz is about Sarr.

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Jacob would have gotten more minutes here.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago This might be a negative for him
Why? Sounded like they only did it once they heard it's a free year of eligibility. When that was the case, a season off for strength and development didn't really matter because even if he sits on the bench and plays 0 minutes a night, he's still a sophomore again next season. But if COVID wipes out half the team, now they have another player in uniform who can give some minutes.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I'm sorry if I am coming across as negative. Toppin and Martin had every right to leave, and they did. At this point, I have no interest to hear about them and what they are up to. They are not a part of our team, and they accomplished nothing here. Good riddance. I love the potential of the guys we brought in to replace them, and the entire roster as it stands. I am interested in our team. Let's go Rhody!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I'm sorry if I am coming across as negative. Toppin and Martin had every right to leave, and they did. At this point, I have no interest to hear about them and what they are up to. They are not a part of our team, and they accomplished nothing here. Good riddance. I love the potential of the guys we brought in to replace them, and the entire roster as it stands. I am interested in our team. Let's go Rhody!
You have no interest, but yet you click on, read and respond to a Jacob Toppin Transferring thread ? I never understood that
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

That's correct. I am a big Rhody hoops fan and this board is a form of entertainment for me. Kill me for clicking on it out of curiosity. If I am not making myself clear, TOPPIN LEFT US AND IS NO LONGER OF INTEREST TO ME. As far as I am concerned you can delete this thread. I have moved on. You should too.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I just wanted to post here in the Jacob Toppin Transferring thread so that Rhody_NYCT could click on it and then tell us he's not interested in Jacob Toppin Transferring.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like he's bulked up some.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Looks like he's bulked up some.
Agree.
Some key excerpts from article.

“I was taking it day by day,” Toppin said. “We had all seen that practice was hard and we were all getting better every day. Coach (John Calipari) had seen that too. Me and Coach talked with each other. I talked with my family. With COVID going on right now, we decided that we should take that chance to try to get a waiver. We got that waiver, and I’m just glad that I was able to become eligible.”

“He is going to be a good player,” Calipari said recently. “He is a little bit physically not there yet, but he’s smart, he’s long, he’s athletic, he’s quick and fast. Skills are good. Need to get better, but they’re good. He’s a terrific addition.”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I wonder what Kentucky's signing of Daimion Collins does to Jacob's playing time next year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago I wonder what Kentucky's signing of Daimion Collins does to Jacob's playing time next year.
It depends on how Jacob plays this year and meshes with the team, I see Damion Collins more as a PF(4) and Jacob as a SF (3). Every year, regardless of which team, players are recruited over, staffs are always looking to upgrade their team's talent, so it is up to the players to improve.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the ESPN+ article.......

What about Toppin?

Sarr's waiver received far more attention than Toppin, and for good reason. Toppin played 18.5 minutes per game for Rhode Island last season, averaging 5.1 points and 3.9 rebounds. But he's the younger brother of former Dayton star Obi Toppin, last season's Wooden Award winner, and there's some hope he could be a late bloomer much like his brother.
With the influx of newcomers on the wings this season, as well as Dontaie Allen eligible after redshirting last season, Kentucky likely won't need Toppin to make an immediate impact.
"The truth is in prep school, he was probably 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4. He's grown to 6-foot-8, maybe," one Atlantic 10 coach who faced Toppin last season said. "He's a freak athlete just like his brother. He's gotten much better from high school senior to prep year to freshman year in college.
"He didn't do much at Rhode Island, but if he continues on the same trajectory, he can be an impact guy. Whether it's immediately or after a year, I do think he will have the potential to help them."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

What about Toppin?

Sarr's waiver received far more attention than Toppin, and for good reason. Toppin played 18.5 minutes per game for Rhode Island last season, averaging 5.1 points and 3.9 rebounds. But he's the younger brother of former Dayton star Obi Toppin, last season's Wooden Award winner, and there's some hope he could be a late bloomer much like his brother.
With the influx of newcomers on the wings this season, as well as Dontaie Allen eligible after redshirting last season, Kentucky likely won't need Toppin to make an immediate impact.
"The truth is in prep school, he was probably 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4. He's grown to 6-foot-8, maybe," one Atlantic 10 coach who faced Toppin last season said. "He's a freak athlete just like his brother. He's gotten much better from high school senior to prep year to freshman year in college.
"He didn't do much at Rhode Island, but if he continues on the same trajectory, he can be an impact guy. Whether it's immediately or after a year, I do think he will have the potential to help them."
Pretty good assessment of Toppin, I think he has the potential to be a stud, we saw flashes of it last year.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

What about Toppin?

Pretty good assessment of Toppin, I think he has the potential to be a stud, we saw flashes of it last year.
A stud at URI - yes, at Kentucky, not so sure, he certainly a lot of competition to deal with for minutes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tough OOC Schedule:

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• Jacob Toppin unsurprisingly led all players with a 42½ maximum vertical leap -- dwarfing his still relatively impressive 32.5 standing vertical mark. The Rhode Island transfer is a different type of player than his brother Obi, but they clearly share the same explosiveness.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ba-players
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago • Jacob Toppin unsurprisingly led all players with a 42½ maximum vertical leap -- dwarfing his still relatively impressive 32.5 standing vertical mark. The Rhode Island transfer is a different type of player than his brother Obi, but they clearly share the same explosiveness.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ba-players
That sweet sweet vertical leap :(

Why'd you have to be lame and blue blood Jacob?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Guard?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This thread is like stalking your ex girlfriend.
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watching Kentucky and was wondering if Toppin was in street clothes on the sideline. Low and behold he pops up in the game after turning the ball over! I think, oh there he is! That’s definitely him!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Kentucky is going to hammer a number of lower level teams throughout the year, so Jacob will get some playing time. I’d be curious to see if he gets him in any real game situations though.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Calipari is rubbing his hands together maniacally hoping he gets Toppin drafted, like the rom com trope of the cool kid in high school doing a makeover on the unpopular girl to get her asked to the prom.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

He got nine minutes tonight. Looks like he’ll be eighth or ninth in the rotation, at least for now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I believe 2 Kentucky players were suspended, so Jacob moved up on the depth chart. I think I saw that the suspensions for these players were 2 or 3 games.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I believe 2 Kentucky players were suspended, so Jacob moved up on the depth chart. I think I saw that the suspensions for these players were 2 or 3 games.
That was the ladies team
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I believe 2 Kentucky players were suspended, so Jacob moved up on the depth chart. I think I saw that the suspensions for these players were 2 or 3 games.
I don’t think any Kentucky players suspended. One player out with injury - Keon Brooks who players Center.
Toppin was 9th in minutes last night with 9 minutes. Their depth shot shows him as the backup at SF to Clarke.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Calipari is rubbing his hands together maniacally hoping he gets Toppin drafted, like the rom com trope of the cool kid in high school doing a makeover on the unpopular girl to get her asked to the prom.
Probably the less he plays him the better chance that he gets picked. Has a chance as a Matt Cassell type but almost none as an actual player.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

It’s been one game lol. I’m not saying what he will or won’t be but a lot of you sound very salty. Yes he won’t become a P5 star over night but if he’s putting in the work who’s to stay what his ceiling can be.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DevRam wrote: 3 years ago It’s been one game lol. I’m not saying what he will or won’t be but a lot of you sound very salty. Yes he won’t become a P5 star over night but if he’s putting in the work who’s to stay what his ceiling can be.
I don't get the "very salty" either. Kid got a chance to go play for Kentucky. I wish him well. I wish Tyrese Martin well at UCONN too. As well as our transfer to UMASS-Lowell.
Toppin was not even supposed to play at all at Kentucky this season, but Calipari and Toppin agreed to pursue the waiver process. I can't blame the guy for wanting to play for Kentucky in the SEC. I hope he gets into the starting line-up, makes the NBA and/or plays Professionally overseas.
Broke my heart to see him transfer, but I got to know his family from having attended games last season (home and away). I had a feeling the transfer was coming for a variety of reasons. He did what he thought was best. More power to him and the other 900+ players who transferred last season - and every season.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

DevRam wrote: 3 years ago It’s been one game lol. I’m not saying what he will or won’t be but a lot of you sound very salty. Yes he won’t become a P5 star over night but if he’s putting in the work who’s to stay what his ceiling can be.
I don't get the "very salty" either. Kid got a chance to go play for Kentucky. I wish him well. I wish Tyrese Martin well at UCONN too. As well as our transfer to UMASS-Lowell.
Toppin was not even supposed to play at all at Kentucky this season, but Calipari and Toppin agreed to pursue the waiver process. I can't blame the guy for wanting to play for Kentucky in the SEC. I hope he gets into the starting line-up, makes the NBA and/or plays Professionally overseas.
Broke my heart to see him transfer, but I got to know his family from having attended games last season (home and away). I had a feeling the transfer was coming for a variety of reasons. He did what he thought was best. More power to him and the other 900+ players who transferred last season - and every season.
SO YOU DONT WISH MEKHI LONG WELL?!?!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where Long end up again ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Where Long end up again ??
Old Dominion
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Wrong thread.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Jacob.....4 minutes against Richmond???
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want him out of the rotation
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Jacob.....4 minutes against Richmond???

According to the box score, Jacob played 2 minutes and had 0 points today for Kentucky in its game with Richmond.

He logged 23 minutes and scored 12 as a freshman at URI when he last faced Richmond.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

According to the box score, Jacob played 2 minutes and had 0 points today for Kentucky in its game with Richmond.

He logged 23 minutes and scored 12 as a freshman at URI when he last faced Richmond.
I saw him there. They mentioned us and Obi and he didn't touch the basketball. Just roamed around the perimeter like he did with us.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

This is so stupid/small time. Lock this. Who cares! We have a tread for former players. I’d trade Toppin for maybe 3/4 of the players we replaced him with!

GO RHODY!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago This is so stupid/small time. Lock this. Who cares! We have a tread for former players. I’d trade Toppin for maybe 3/4 of the players we replaced him with!

GO RHODY!
You’re probably right - but the petty teenage girl in me LOVES this.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
brady1 wrote: 3 years ago This is so stupid/small time. Lock this. Who cares! We have a tread for former players. I’d trade Toppin for maybe 3/4 of the players we replaced him with!

GO RHODY!
You mean you aren’t a petty teenage girl?!

I’m sorry, I had to. :lol:
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

GO RHODY!
I don't know about this board's Taylor Swift, but the real Taylor would definitely be writing songs about Jacob for years to come, especially if he couldn't find happiness after their breakup...
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

I wonder where he’ll transfer to next year. If he keeps getting two minutes a game, I see the Mid-American Conference in his future.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.