Mohegan Sun Bubbleville

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Mohegan Sun Bubbleville

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So the question is will we be allowed to play in two tournaments? Normally you can't, but this year I'm assuming anything goes. If not it's still a no brainer to switch from the Hall of Fame tournament to the Empire Classic Championship, but then I'm going to assume we'll need to find other teams and games to make up for South Florida and San Francisco Saturday and Sunday

Edited to add: This Rothstein article certainly makes it seem like we'll be able to play in both tournaments. Game on!
https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... hegan-sun/
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We should be the house band for all tournaments at Mohegan. Fill in for all the cancelees
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
I love this opportunity. This is better than the original tournament before the 3 original participants dropped out.
Obviously. The quality of the opponent is hardly my issue here.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

So it looks to be goodbye Flosports, hello ESPN or ESPN2, right? Also Thursday and Friday night games instead of Wednesday and Thursday morning.
This would also mean a game on four consecutive nights: postseason tournament grind style right out of the gate.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago We should be the house band for all tournaments at Mohegan. Fill in for all the cancelees
I nominate you- and just you- for this honor. Bring it!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago This is not an easy schedule.

Arizona state
Nova/BC
South florida
Virginia Tech
Seton hall
BC
Western kentucky
Seton hall
We go 5-3 in these games we are in business
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sun Devils!

Outstanding
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Looks like Christmas came early for the Ram-fam!

Thank you Covid-Santa.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I guess DC RAMS doesn't know that Ace is very close to Bobby and Dan, who are close to David Cox. Yes, DC RAMS, URI basketball did exist before David Cox.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......it is now official......in my household regarding URI hoops is now on a day-to-day basis........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So what are our first 2 games and when ?? Also we don’t have to deal with Flo sports ??
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No flosports, ESPN.

Nov. 25 – vs. No. 18 Arizona State, 7:00 p.m. (ESPN)
Nov 26 – vs. No. 3 Villanova/Boston College, TBD (ESPN)

TBD is 7 or 9:30
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago No flosports, ESPN.

Nov. 25 – vs. No. 18 Arizona State, 7:00 p.m. (ESPN)
Nov 26 – vs. No. 3 Villanova/Boston College, TBD (ESPN)

TBD is 7 or 9:30
Soooo glad I waited to pay for flohoops!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I guess DC RAMS doesn't know that Ace is very close to Bobby and Dan, who are close to David Cox. Yes, DC RAMS, URI basketball did exist before David Cox.
why the attack 78?
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Fun stuff. Hopefully they beat them and begin this awesome season!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago oh no...

Why the “oh no”?

Ye have little faith. If you wanna play with the big boys...
Wow DC_Rams. We are just starting the season and already we are in agreement :D :D

I love this opportunity. This is better than the original tournament before the 3 original participants dropped out.
Well, it is 2020 ya know...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I guess DC RAMS doesn't know that Ace is very close to Bobby and Dan, who are close to David Cox. Yes, DC RAMS, URI basketball did exist before David Cox.
I have no idea what tf you are talking about or where this comment stems from? You read wayyyy to deep into my comment.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What an improvement in schedule in one week!!!!!

Based on CBS Preseason Rankings of all teams:
#116 URI

From - To:
#105 Stephen F Austin To #17 Arizona
#150 Towson To #1 Villanova or #103 Boston College
#117 South Florida - same
#149 Temple To #78 San Francisco

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 21-season/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Looks like Rhody got even luckier, at least for the moment. Report out that Stephen F Austin is leaving Mohegan due to a positive test within its traveling party.
This is all moment to moment right now.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How can a single positive test cancel an entire trip which they already made (from Texas)? That is insanity.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago How can a single positive test cancel an entire trip which they already made (from Texas)? That is insanity.
and not even a player or a coach who tested positive.

why are teams even brining staff members along? just bring the players and the coaches - and even limit the number of coaches.

a shame these players come all the way to the Mohegan Sun only to be disappointed
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago How can a single positive test cancel an entire trip which they already made (from Texas)? That is insanity.

why are teams even brining staff members along? just bring the players and the coaches - and even limit the number of coaches.

a shame these players come all the way to the Mohegan Sun only to be disappointed
They'll have a lot in common with most of the people who go to Mohegan Sun.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

why are teams even bringing staff members along? just bring the players and the coaches - and even limit the number of coaches.

Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

The key here is single positive TEST. The virus can incubate for many days before showing up in testing, so what you are basically seeing when getting a positive test is a virus transmission from days or even a week ago. Teams are taking precautions but invariably you are going to find other positives in future days, like the Patriots had the Cam Newton positive, then Gilmore and a few others popped up positive in subsequent days.

If this was a staffer not close to the team then that is dumb of SFA to bring them, because you do become essentially a close contact once jumping on a flight together (unless they chartered a spacious plane).
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Holding my breath until tip-off tomorrow.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Agreed - it's in the transmission. We don't know when the staffer was infected. If they were around other members/coaches/players, then the chances of them being infected now, but not testing positive until 5 or 6 days from now is within reason. This means that opponents would potentially be infected tomorrow and their opponent's opponents in subsequent days. I say that the fewer in the travel party the better.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Holding my breath until tip-off tomorrow.
I think we will be holding our breath all season, it will be that kind of year with the schedule in constant flux.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I just hope (and have to assume) the bubble has minimal contact between all teams so one test for them doesn't compromise the whole bubble
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is that SFA issue going to shake up the sched again?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure if you heard....it spreads...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I just hope (and have to assume) the bubble has minimal contact between all teams so one test for them doesn't compromise the whole bubble
Each team is kept separated. Each team has its own floor in the hotel. They use conference rooms on their floor for eating and any other meetings/get togethers. The team are brought from their floor to the arena by Mohegan security.

Obviously they are exposed to other teams during games but that is it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

why are teams even bringing staff members along? just bring the players and the coaches - and even limit the number of coaches.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have no idea what tf you are talking about or where this comment stems from? You read wayyyy to deep into my comment.
Sorry, 2020 has made me really grumpy. Some days are worse than others.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why the “oh no”?

It has nothing to do with faith. I don’t like when people and teams I like play against each other and someone has to lose.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

Why the “oh no”?

It has nothing to do with faith. I don’t like when people and teams I like play against each other and someone has to lose.
Understood. I forgot about the connection. May the best team win!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
I think we will be holding our breath all season, it will be that kind of year with the schedule in constant flux.
I am holding my breath to get through the first 2 to 3 weeks where we are packed with good games. If there is going to be a COVID delay let it be after we get these non-conference games in (we can reschedule conference games if needed).

It is absolutely amazing to me that the players and particularly the COACHES/STAFF who had their seasons cut short last year cannot isolate themselves to get the season at least started.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
I am holding my breath to get through the first 2 to 3 weeks where we are packed with good games. If there is going to be a COVID delay let it be after we get these non-conference games in (we can reschedule conference games if needed).

It is absolutely amazing to me that the players and particularly the COACHES/STAFF who had their seasons cut short last year cannot isolate themselves to get the season at least started.
Iso fatigue?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are having 170,000 positive tests a day going to be tons of cancelled games
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

How far do you expect coaches/staff to go regarding isolation? Do you think they should isolate from their own families? The coaches/staff could be good about not being around anyone but the team and their own families but if someone in their family brings it home the coach/staff could easily become infected. With asymptomatic transmission it just becomes so difficult, even if you are cautious.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If 1,000 people per day in RI are positive that would be 60,000 in the next two months (brings you to Jan 24). RI population is just over 1 million. That is 6% of the population testing positive. The team needs to be in the other 94%. The coaches & staff are going to be with their immediate families. Hopefully their immediate families are following the State and CDC guidelines. If they are trying to be extra cautious, act like you have a grandparent (over 80) in their house. The 1,000 per day average is where RI is right now which is the states worst 7 day average. Hopefully if gets better. South County has a much lower cases per 1,000 than the state overall. 60+% of the cases have been in Providence which has the highest cases per 1,000.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago

How far do you expect coaches/staff to go regarding isolation? Do you think they should isolate from their own families? The coaches/staff could be good about not being around anyone but the team and their own families but if someone in their family brings it home the coach/staff could easily become infected. With asymptomatic transmission it just becomes so difficult, even if you are cautious.
I do expect the coaches and staff to isolate for a few weeks. It’s not the NBA and asking to bubble for the entire season is too much, but they can isolate for 2 to 3 weeks to get the season going. If they want to see their families, their families can sacrifice and stay home completely for those few weeks. It’s a long business trip to have a successful start to the season. Kids are kids, but the coaches and staff who are being paid can make the sacrifices.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Maine is pulling out of the Mohegan Sun bubble due to a program member getting a positive Covid test result. The team had already travelled to the casino complex and was set to face Virginia today and Central Ct State on Friday. They may now have to quarantine for 14 days.

UMaine men’s and women’s basketball openers canceled
https://www.wabi.tv/2020/11/24/umaine-m ... cancelled/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

USF (South Florida) losing to Florida College by 8 early in the 2nd half.
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

USF won by 10
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Organizers from Mohegan Sun, the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame and the Gazelle Group should not be overlooked in all of this. We are two days into the Bubbleville experience and the reviews are good. It hasn't been completely flawless (Stephen F. Austin had to leave within hours of arriving after it had one positive test, and Maine had a positive test from two days prior to arriving that forced it to bail), but Virginia coach Tony Bennett, Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley, San Francisco coach Todd Golden and Boston College coach Jim Christian were all in agreement along with Wright: this setup is the best way to get your games in with safety and security and peace of mind at hand.
Yes, the protocols are strict. Coaches and players cannot even leave their rooms without a security escort for anything. But these are the measures that need to be taken to give Bubbleville -- and all college basketball events in a controlled environment -- a real chance at succeeding for days and weeks at a time.

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody has room right?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

USF (San Fran) down 24-21 to #4 Virginia at half. A lot of game left but would be a nice win for a soon to be opponent to pick up
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome job Mohegan Sun doing a fantastic job