PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley may be from RI but he could care less about the state. He is all about PC and nothing else. He and PC have in recent years been deliberately moving toward removing games versus the other RI D1 schools. The Friars haven't played Bryant since 2015 and also dropped Brown several years ago even though it is just miles across town and is its 2nd (after #1 URI) most played opponent of all time. Brown not being a big draw along with two losses in recent years and some other close calls seems to have ended the series as this will be the third consecutive year they have not met. PC likely only continues to play URI for the guaranteed sellout OOC game every other season. Attendance at the games typically far outdraws every other PC non conference game that year. Given no chance for a big gate and the convenient excuse of the virus, the Friars quickly dropped URI this season. Using the excuse of not being able to find a date was nothing but a lie that Driscoll and Cooley used as deflection.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Bill Koch
@BillKoch25
·
Oct 13, 2020
Replying to @BillKoch25
Providence is assuming its home games will be played at Alumni Hall. They are not anticipating having fans or media members in attendance. Radio broadcast team is not expected to travel. #pcbb

Wait a minute. So if this is the case then the Dumping donuts center is out rent money from Pee Cee?
Which means the State loses money from Pee Cee.

And no one in the state capital is complaining?
So Pee Cee being a private school gets away from not paying to rent the dump.

State should tell Pee Cee to screw play every year at alumni hall.
If that was the case the big east would tell Pee Cee to go find another conference
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The finances of both the Dunkin Donuts Center and Ryan Center have to be taking a huge revenue hit with Covid-19. The $54M Ryan Center was only funded with $21M in 30 year general obligation bonds. While some of this was to be paid off with venue revenues, the vast majority was to be covered with student fees (which in some years have been near $400/yr for each student). Over $92M in bonds were used to purchase and renovate the DDC. These bonds are being partially paid by venue revenues with the bulk being funded by a very large annual state subsidy.

I would think the DDC's finances are in a far more perilous condition than the Ryan Center. It has lost more bookings and can't rely on the built in guarantee of student fees such as the case with URI's Ryan Center. Its bonds were more than 4x in value compared to the Ryan Center. Any DDC losses are ultimately the responsibility of the state. With the state almost certainly facing its own Covid financial issues due to reduced tax revenues and increased expenditures, it will be interesting to see how it approaches the DDC problems.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago The finances of both the Dunkin Donuts Center and Ryan Center have to be taking a huge revenue hit with Covid-19. The $54M Ryan Center was only funded with $21M in 30 year general obligation bonds. While some of this was to be paid off with venue revenues, the vast majority was to be covered with student fees (which in some years have been near $400/yr for each student). Over $92M in bonds were used to purchase and renovate the DDC. These bonds are being partially paid by venue revenues with the bulk being funded by a very large annual state subsidy.

I would think the DDC's finances are in a far more perilous condition than the Ryan Center. It has lost more bookings and can't rely on the built in guarantee of student fees such as the case with URI's Ryan Center. Its bonds were more than 4x in value compared to the Ryan Center. Any DDC losses are ultimately the responsibility of the state. With the state almost certainly facing its own Covid financial issues due to reduced tax revenues and increased expenditures, it will be interesting to see how it approaches the DDC problems.
Gina said yesterday that we will most likely remain in phase 3 until there is a vaccine. What does that mean for these venues? Will the DDC be closed until then?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago pc's motto- "It's not about winning in the NCAAT, it's about getting in the NCAAT"
You can’t win games in the tournament if you don’t make the tournament.
1-5 since 2014 almost has that Buffalo Bills feel to it...may not have gotten into as many NCAAs since 2014, but i'll take 2-2 over that mark
Depends where the two wins come from - if you told me I had a Sweet 16 I tend to agree with you because I believe the second weekend is an important aspiration for any program. I also think all NCAA wins are important but if you told me I could make the tournament once every 3-4 years and win one game, or I could go every year but lose more than I win, I’ll still take the every year because you can’t win tournament games unless you are in the tournament, regardless of how I feel about their record.

At this point at PC in most years you miss the tournament I grade you an F. So going F, F, F, B (1 tournament win) is an average of approx a D-.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago pc's motto- "It's not about winning in the NCAAT, it's about getting in the NCAAT"
1-5 since 2014 almost has that Buffalo Bills feel to it...may not have gotten into as many NCAAs since 2014, but i'll take 2-2 over that mark
1-7 since 2000, but whose counting lol.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

And since PC joined the original Big East back in 1979, URI is the team that has had a winning NCAA record since then, not PC. In fact, PC has the exact same number of NCAA Tournament wins (8) as URI in this period even with all the conference and money advantages it has had.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

And since PC joined the original Big East back in 1979, URI is the team that had had a winning NCAA record since then, not PC. In fact, PC has the exact same number of NCAA Tournament wins (8) as URI in this period even with all the conference and money advantages it has had.
Correct. The pc final four run in '87 accounts for half their tournament wins in 40 years. Over that time pc is 8-12 and URI is 8-7.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC and their fans have always thought they were on the same level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the college basketball world. It's hilarious.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago PC and their fans have always thought they were on the same level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the college basketball world. It's hilarious.
.......I have always thought PC was more on the level of......Maybe St Johns.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago PC and their fans have always thought they were on the same level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the college basketball world. It's hilarious.
I don’t know one PC fan who feels that way. Difference between wanting to be great and being great.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rksuperfly is probably one of the most competent PC fans I've ever read commentary from.

That aside, who TF does Cooley think he is? Some low life Pee Cee fans tried to roast me on Twitter for how URI "needed" this game. All PC wants are cupcakes to remain relevant. Now with COVID in play, they're going to see declining enrollment and they do NOT have the same kind of resources as URI due to the size and breadth of the university - which PC lacks in every area.

They should not get home game for December 2021.

I said this a few times on Twitter, and I'll say it here. Cooley needs a SAG card for his acting PC Athletics Twitter earlier today.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago rksuperfly is probably one of the most competent PC fans I've ever read commentary from.

That aside, who TF does Cooley think he is? Some low life Pee Cee fans tried to roast me on Twitter for how URI "needed" this game. All PC wants are cupcakes to remain relevant. Now with COVID in play, they're going to see declining enrollment and they do NOT have the same kind of resources as URI due to the size and breadth of the university - which PC lacks in every area.

I said this a few times on Twitter, and I'll say it here. Cooley needs a SAG card for his acting PC Athletics Twitter earlier today.
Agree.
If PC had offered in 2020 to play at Alumni Hall, Dunk or any other neutral site I’d have said next year 2021 goes to PC And 2022 to Ryan Center.

Replacing URI with FDU is absurd.

Next season 2021 should be at the Ryan Center

PC forfeited their home game with this nonsense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch says this in his article:

Ed Cooley didn’t earn a lucrative contract extension and move his basketball operations into a $40-million practice facility because he’s 7-2 against URI.

The press and some PC fans love to go back in history but what should also be mentioned is what have you done (or not done) for me lately. Cooley has lost 2 of the last 3 games vs URI.

Cooley was obviously afraid to go 3 of last 4 vs Rhode. Cooley is afraid of Fatts Russell and rightfully do. Fatts can’t be guarded by David Duke - he has proven that. It’s a shame Fatts can’t get to go 3 for 4 in wins in his career.

These PC and URI players don’t care about these long term w/l records. Fatts knows and cares about the 3 years he has played at URI and of course this big final year of college play for him.

URI will find good teams to play. Fryuzz can have fun playing FDU on Saturday December 5 while URI has a much better opponent to play that weekend.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago rksuperfly is probably one of the most competent PC fans I've ever read commentary from.

Agree.
If PC had offered in 2020 to play at Alumni Hall, Dunk or any other neutral site I’d have said next year 2021 goes to PC And 2022 to Ryan Center.

The insinuation from Koch and others is that URI is fearful of rocking the boat because they need PC a lot more than PC needs them.

What is meant by that is over the last several years, PC has represented a pretty consistent Top 50/75 team that URI plays at home once every two years.URI isn’t going to get many quality teams to agree to play at the RC, both OOC and in conference.

With URI needing to maximize Q1 opportunities, it’s important for them to maintain good relationships with PC. If they piss off PC and PC says F you, the loss of the rivalry would hurt but PC would still have plenty of quality opponents, both home and road.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The insinuation from Koch and others sad fact is that URI is fearful of rocking the boat because they need PC a lot more than PC needs them.

[/quote]

FIFY.

It's all "bidness".... (see what I did there?)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree.

The insinuation from Koch and others is that URI is fearful of rocking the boat because they need PC a lot more than PC needs them.

What is meant by that is over the last several years, PC has represented a pretty consistent Top 50/75 team that URI plays at home once every two years.URI isn’t going to get many quality teams to agree to play at the RC, both OOC and in conference.

With URI needing to maximize Q1 opportunities, it’s important for them to maintain good relationships with PC. If they piss off PC and PC says F you, the loss of the rivalry would hurt but PC would still have plenty of quality opponents, both home and road.
Piss PC off?
Cooley should play this game vs David Cox. Cooley disrespected Cox.
No way the PC-URI game impacts whether or not PC makes the NCAA Tournament. The odds of that are very small. The glass half full HC would want a URI win on his plate, instead of fearing a loss.

Cooley is afraid to lose to URI on his own home court without Fans. He would look bad. Cooley has lost 2 of his last 3 games vs URI and Fatts Russell is a high percentage bet to make it Cooley losing 3 of last 4.

Cooley should adopt the John Chaney Of Temple method of scheduling. Numerous P5 and high Major schools play tough OOC Schedules. These tough games surface weaknesses prior to the all important Conference games. Cooley’s Cupcake Philosophy does not maximize the weakness surfacing strategy. Often Cooley is still experimenting with starting lineups mid to late Conference play.

With 1 lonesome NCAA win to his credit, Cooley would do good to change something.

His players wanted the URI game. Driscoll and Cooley didn’t. FDU on December 5 - mark your calendars.

Dumb scheduling move.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Agree.

Piss PC off?
Cooley should play this game vs David Cox. Cooley disrespected Cox.
No way the PC-URI game impacts whether or not PC makes the NCAA Tournament. The odds of that are very small. The glass half full HC would want a URI win on his plate, instead of fearing a loss.

Cooley is afraid to lose to URI on his own home court without Fans. He would look bad. Cooley has lost 2 of his last 3 games vs URI and Fatts Russell is a high percentage bet to make it Cooley losing 3 of last 4.

Cooley should adopt the John Chaney Of Temple method of scheduling. Numerous P5 and high Major schools play tough OOC Schedules. These tough games surface weaknesses prior to the all important Conference games. Cooley’s Cupcake Philosophy does not maximize the weakness surfacing strategy. Often Cooley is still experimenting with starting lineups mid to late Conference play.

With 1 lonesome NCAA win to his credit, Cooley would do good to change something.

His players wanted the URI game. Driscoll and Cooley didn’t. FDU on December 5 - mark your calendars.

Dumb scheduling move.
The problem with your argument here is that for the current season, their OOC is a dynamo, almost a lock 4 Q1/Q2 games out of 5 known opponents and what can be max 7 scheduled. It’s not like he entered the season and said “I want a soft schedule, give me 7 cupcakes.” That is a tough schedule, just not the tough schedule you think they should have.

I also apologize for any misconception, my point was to say URI is afraid to rock the boat with PC, not that they did anything wrong in this situation. It’s obviously 100% on Cooley/PC.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC replaced URI with Fairleigh Dickinson. Unless they fear losing to URI, and according to most PC fans, there's no chance of that happening, how does playing Fairleigh Dickinson help their chances of making the NCAA Tournament? So, that argument is bullshit too.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago PC replaced URI with Fairleigh Dickinson. Unless they fear losing to URI, and according to most PC fans, there's no chance of that happening, how does playing Fairleigh Dickinson help their chances of making the NCAA Tournament? So, that argument is bullshit too.
Who suggested that argument?

My belief has almost always been that PC has a very strong OOC (in an abbreviated OOC season) and will likely have many strong conference opportunities, so PC will not be lacking in games against quality opposition this season.

However what I have personally argued, and I think what Cooley has insinuated, is that in most years, PC balances out top opposition with scheduling cupcakes. That's not always by design (some teams are worse than expected) but how it breaks out. I wouldn't disagree with liking to see them play more quality opponents, but you can't always control tournament matchups or conference arrangements (Gavitt/Big 12).

Regardless, the benefits of the weaker OOC games (take last year out of it) are that 1) you should get your starters comfortable with each other 2) you should be able to experiment with your rotation 3) you should be able to experiment with different schemes 4) you should be able to get your young/inexperienced players playing time 5) you should be able to solidify your lineups heading into conference play.

It's basically impossible to do 3 & 4 if almost every game is against a quality opponent because you are expecting close, challenging games where you are going to rely on your starters/experienced players, and you probably aren't going to throw in your inexperienced freshman guard into a key moment against a tough opponent when you have 3-4 guards with more experience on the roster.

So does playing a Fairleigh Dickinson over URI directly help PC's tournament chances? Of course not. But might they learn things about different lineup combinations or young players they may not have learned if they were only going 7-8 deep while playing mostly Q1/Q2 opponents? Sure, I believe in that.

I think people keep forgetting we aren't talking a normal year -- PC isn't playing 11, 12, or 13 OOC games. They might play 7. Many are electing to play 5. So the approach is going to be different for all.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago PC replaced URI with Fairleigh Dickinson. Unless they fear losing to URI, and according to most PC fans, there's no chance of that happening, how does playing Fairleigh Dickinson help their chances of making the NCAA Tournament? So, that argument is bullshit too.
Who suggested that argument?

My belief has almost always been that PC has a very strong OOC (in an abbreviated OOC season) and will likely have many strong conference opportunities, so PC will not be lacking in games against quality opposition this season.

However what I have personally argued, and I think what Cooley has insinuated, is that in most years, PC balances out top opposition with scheduling cupcakes. That's not always by design (some teams are worse than expected) but how it breaks out. I wouldn't disagree with liking to see them play more quality opponents, but you can't always control tournament matchups or conference arrangements (Gavitt/Big 12).

Regardless, the benefits of the weaker OOC games (take last year out of it) are that 1) you should get your starters comfortable with each other 2) you should be able to experiment with your rotation 3) you should be able to experiment with different schemes 4) you should be able to get your young/inexperienced players playing time 5) you should be able to solidify your lineups heading into conference play.

It's basically impossible to do 3 & 4 if almost every game is against a quality opponent because you are expecting close, challenging games where you are going to rely on your starters/experienced players, and you probably aren't going to throw in your inexperienced freshman guard into a key moment against a tough opponent when you have 3-4 guards with more experience on the roster.

So does playing a Fairleigh Dickinson over URI directly help PC's tournament chances? Of course not. But might they learn things about different lineup combinations or young players they may not have learned if they were only going 7-8 deep while playing mostly Q1/Q2 opponents? Sure, I believe in that.

I think people keep forgetting we aren't talking a normal year -- PC isn't playing 11, 12, or 13 OOC games. They might play 7. Many are electing to play 5. So the approach is going to be different for all.
But if URI is no threat to beat PC, doesn't that make them a cupcake?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Let's face it. It's all about who became eligible. This game would be on, without the transfers. Period.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
You can't be serious, can you?

Do I think PC beats URI? Yes.

Is URI a Top 50/Top 75 opponent? Yes.

Is URI a challenging game? Yes.

Is it likely a close game? Yes.

Does PC have the opportunity to run their inexperienced/younger players much against URI? Probably not.

Does PC have the opportunity to run their inexperienced/younger players much against Fairleigh Dickinson? Fairly likely.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You can't be serious, can you?

Do I think PC beats URI? Yes.

Is URI a Top 50/Top 75 opponent? Yes.

Is URI a challenging game? Yes.

Is it likely a close game? Yes.

Does PC have the opportunity to run their inexperienced/younger players much against URI? Probably not.

Does PC have the opportunity to run their inexperienced/younger players much against Fairleigh Dickinson? Fairly likely.
Not according to most of the people on your board, regarding questions 2, 3, 4 and 5.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It's fan bravado -- you know that.

That said, I found this quote from Cooley addresses the scheduling issue head-on:

“I’m prepared for anything: If somebody gets sick and if we’re scheduled to play Georgetown. What is somebody tests positive? Do we shut the whole team down? Do we play somebody two, three, four times? Will we play back to back? Will we stay in a region and play two or three road games? Will we go out to the Midwest and stay out there during the break? Do teams come here? The No. 1 thing is how do we get to 13 games to be tournament eligible. Can we get to 13 games? How will we play one game?...We’ll do the best that we can to get to the minimum of 13 games and the maximum of 24, 25 games."

PC is currently scheduled for 25 games, including Fairleigh Dickinson, so it would seem that their OOC schedule is complete with 4 Q1/Q2 opportunities and 1 Q4 opportunity.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some great games will be played the weekend of December 5-6.

Xavier BE and Cinncinnati AAC will be fun to watch on Sunday Dec 6

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

And just to make sure we compare apples to apples, let’s not forget that Xavier is not participating in a formal OOC tournament, and has decided to host their own MTE featuring Toledo (137), Oakland (222), and Bradley (102), which equates to 1 Q3 game and 2 Q4 games.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago And just to make sure we compare apples to apples, let’s not forget that Xavier is not participating in a formal OOC tournament, and has decided to host their own MTE featuring Toledo (137), Oakland (222), and Bradley (102), which equates to 1 Q3 game and 2 Q4 games.
You can boil it down however you want. I don't care if URI had Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and Kentucky or Appalachian State, Maine, Montana Tech, and Central Connecticut A&M on their schedule - I would expect URI take the game and play because it's a rivalry and good for the fans and the state.

There was a way to make it work that would have very little impact on either team, positive or negative, whether they win or lose. It's a shame it's not happening and it's a shame one team was the reason for it.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Just because the friars should play this long-standing intense intrastate rivalry game doesn't mean they have to play it

Their fans might be a bit upset but they are not going to protest the lack of the game too strenuously and cancel their season tickets over it

We need the game more than they do.......until the Atlantic 10 consistently puts 4,5,6,7 teams or more into the quadrant 1 category....we will always need quad 1 OOC games.......they don't because their conference is stronger top to bottom

Until the bottom of the A10 gets better that is a fact of life....I have hope for every school except Fordham......everyone else has made strides to get appreciably better

The shoe will never be on the other foot between the friars and us......and hopefully someday we won't need the shoe because we have 10 quality conference opponents....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago And just to make sure we compare apples to apples, let’s not forget that Xavier is not participating in a formal OOC tournament, and has decided to host their own MTE featuring Toledo (137), Oakland (222), and Bradley (102), which equates to 1 Q3 game and 2 Q4 games.
You can boil it down however you want. I don't care if URI had Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and Kentucky or Appalachian State, Maine, Montana Tech, and Central Connecticut A&M on their schedule - I would expect URI take the game and play because it's a rivalry and good for the fans and the state.

There was a way to make it work that would have very little impact on either team, positive or negative, whether they win or lose. It's a shame it's not happening and it's a shame one team was the reason for it.
I mean we can agree to disagree on that -- I don't care if Pope Francis blessed the game himself, just because you think it's good for the fans or good for the state doesn't always make it the right fit for the team. PC had a long-standing relationship with BC. They felt after BC went a decade between tournament appearances and pretty consistently putting out losing teams, winning single-digit games four times, that there were better ways they could schedule games. PC recently revived an annual series with UMASS, but after UMASS went through several losing seasons they decided there were better ways to schedule games. PC stopped trying to force an annual game with Brown, unless it worked for their scheduling, because there was no reason to bend over backwards for a Q3/Q4 game they still had to pay big $$ for. Cooley and PC aren't slamming games together because of "tradition" or "rivalry," but because they make sense for their schedule. It's been a consistent theme throughout Cooley's tenure. It's not a PC/URI thing. It's about doing what he thinks is best for his program, which is why he gets paid the money he does. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but I can understand and appreciate the approach, and I'm glad that they finally publicly owned it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's a bunch of bs RJ. And you know it. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Big boys should want to play it after getting drubbed the previous season.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It's revisionist and facile thinking to claim that PC only began recently to think of themselves and their program. Going back decades PC has always focused on themselves first and foremost. Their previous thuggish AD, Marinotto, was the epitome of that attitude. Driscoll may be more clever at disguising it, but make no mistake, PC arrogance extends throughout their community from top to bottom. Not to mention their pettiness.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago That's a bunch of bs RJ. And you know it. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.
It’s really not though - it’s easy for the team who played a conference breakdown of 4 Q1 games, 6 Q2 games, 5 Q3 games, and 3 Q4 games to tell the team whose conference breakdown from last year (looking at this seasons 20 game schedule) was 14 Q1 games, 5 Q2 games, and 1 Q3 game that they should play 5 Q1/Q2 opponents in an anticipated 5 game OOC.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago That's a bunch of bs RJ. And you know it. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.
It’s really not though - it’s easy for the team who played a conference breakdown of 4 Q1 games, 6 Q2 games, 5 Q3 games, and 3 Q4 games to tell the team whose conference breakdown from last year (looking at this seasons 20 game schedule) was 14 Q1 games, 5 Q2 games, and 1 Q3 game that they should play 5 Q1/Q2 opponents in an anticipated 5 game OOC.
spin it however you want.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago It's fan bravado -- you know that.

That said, I found this quote from Cooley addresses the scheduling issue head-on:

“I’m prepared for anything: If somebody gets sick and if we’re scheduled to play Georgetown. What is somebody tests positive? Do we shut the whole team down? Do we play somebody two, three, four times? Will we play back to back? Will we stay in a region and play two or three road games? Will we go out to the Midwest and stay out there during the break? Do teams come here? The No. 1 thing is how do we get to 13 games to be tournament eligible. Can we get to 13 games? How will we play one game?...We’ll do the best that we can to get to the minimum of 13 games and the maximum of 24, 25 games."

PC is currently scheduled for 25 games, including Fairleigh Dickinson, so it would seem that their OOC schedule is complete with 4 Q1/Q2 opportunities and 1 Q4 opportunity.
I’d be embarrassed to have all that neurotic Mumbo Jumbo BS go out in print from Cooley.

Cooley is an excuse making machine. Eerily sounding like Jim Baron

Feel bad for Fatts Russell and Nate Watson. They are the only Seniors who played all 3 games up to now in their careers. They will not get to play this game. Watson had a chance to get revenge and even the 4 year record at 2-2
Fatts had the chance to go 3-1 vs the Fryuzz.

2017 @ URI Rhody wins by 7. 75-68. Fatts game high 20 points. Watson 10 points.
2018 @ PC PC wins by 9. 59-50. Fatts 6 points. Watson 12 points.
2019 @ URI Rhody wins by 14. 75-61. Fatts game high 24 points. Watson 10 points.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I doubt Nate Watson is crying over not playing URI. I really do. The game is appreciated most by the fans. Would Watson like to win? Sure. Would he rather have the team in the best position to make and win tournament games? 1000x yes. He’d probably trade away 100 games versus URI to be a lock for the tournament.

You guys put way to much stock in how the players feel. The only players who really care are the ones who may have had connections to both programs or are super local. At least that’s true on PCs side. It’s been true for years. All the guys PC recruits from down south aren’t coming to Pc thinking “I can’t wait for that game against URI.” They May learn to appreciate the game, but they have bigger aspirations than that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I doubt Nate Watson is crying over not playing URI. I really do. The game is appreciated most by the fans. Would Watson like to win? Sure. Would he rather have the team in the best position to make and win tournament games? 1000x yes. He’d probably trade away 100 games versus URI to be a lock for the tournament.

You guys put way to much stock in how the players feel. The only players who really care are the ones who may have had connections to both programs or are super local. At least that’s true on PCs side. It’s been true for years. All the guys PC recruits from down south aren’t coming to Pc thinking “I can’t wait for that game against URI.” They May learn to appreciate the game, but they have bigger aspirations than that.
Aren't sports played for the fans? Last time I checked, they were a form of entertainment. Take the fans away and what do the players have?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I doubt Nate Watson is crying over not playing URI. I really do. The game is appreciated most by the fans. Would Watson like to win? Sure. Would he rather have the team in the best position to make and win tournament games? 1000x yes. He’d probably trade away 100 games versus URI to be a lock for the tournament.

Aren't sports played for the fans? Last time I checked, they were a form of entertainment. Take the fans away and what do the players have?
Truth be told sports are played for the money. Happy fan base = more revenue. More revenue should equal more success.

PC, like most schools, isn’t making significant money by winning OOC games in December, but success in March.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Truth be told sports are played for the money. Happy fan base = more revenue. More revenue should equal more success.

PC, like most schools, isn’t making significant money by winning OOC games in December, but success in March.
More bull crap

Keep drinking that Cooley aid. I
He finally told the truth that it was not about the date. He admitted he wanted to be selfish. Not one reported questioned Cooley. They just take his bull crap and excuses and put them on Twitter like Cooley is John Wooden.

1 NCAA Win. 1. And that was a fluke last second win. If he is so smart about his OOC schedule then why does he not produce in the Post Season?

The vast majority of college sports are NOT played for money. Soccer, Hockey, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Swimming, Field Hockey, Wrestling, Track & Field and Cross Country Do not make money.
Many Basketball and Football programs don’t make money.

It’s stupid not to play the PC - URI game during vivid times. 40 miles between schools. Northwestern dropped, URI dropped. FDU added.

But no reporter questions any of this stupidity and selfishness.

Hey, the nitwit, bonehead, can’t win an NCAA game Cooley said “its not a rivalry“ anyway. You can’t make this crap up.

I hope Cooley stays at PC for 20 more years. PC could do so much better, they just don’t know it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I never proclaimed Cooley was a brilliant scheduling mastermind, I just said that I’m ok with sacrificing the URI game if it means a schedule of 20-21 Q1/Q2 games to 4-5 Q3/Q4 games. I’m ok with him doing what he thinks is best at this point. I’m not happy with the tournament wins but as I said, you can’t win tournament games if you don’t make the tournament, so if this is what he thinks he needs to do to fill out his roster and get them PT and experience in a wacky year then I am cool with it. But then again I guess I don’t care about this game as much as you do. If you told me that I could play in a “Champions Classic” every year and play one of Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas on a rotating basis but I’d have to sacrifice the URI game for 10 years, Id choose the Champions Classic today, tomorrow, and for just about the rest of eternity.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

No fans = no sports.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The game doesn’t mean all that much to me at this point. Screw PC. It just reinforces why I hate that so school as much as I do.
I won’t have to read posters here saying I should root for PC this year to make URI look better.

I hate the lies. Both AD’s and Cooley. Lies about the date.

So stupid to not play a long term rival 40 miles away. Stupid.

Local press questions nothing. No challenging the lies. Just eat up and put on Twitter everything Cooley says with no challenging at all.

Enjoy FDU.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let’s sub out PC for another “not our biggest rivalry” for another BE local bus drive team......any ideas....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another dumb move is keeping the Big 12 - Big East games
Why travel all that way in this COVID time? Put it off. Why have East centered teams go to Big 12 country for just a single game??????

PC will travel to Ft Worth to play TCU.
TCU is ranked #75 in 144 Madness. Picked 9th in Big 12.
TCU was (16-16) (7-11) last season

Stupidity. But no reporters will ever question the great Ed C.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18709
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago If you told me that I could play in a “Champions Classic” every year and play one of Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas on a rotating basis but I’d have to sacrifice the URI game for 10 years, Id choose the Champions Classic today, tomorrow, and for just about the rest of eternity.
Strawman much? It's not Kentucky, Duke and Kansas you're choosing this year, it's FDU. And these elite schools are too tough for PC in the non-con anyway, got to save up those bullets for the "gauntlet".

It's not me to tell PC how to run their program but I'm looking at the Pomeroy strength of schedule numbers for last year, which the committee is factoring into their selections, and find that the best rated SOS is Seton Hall at #44 (Providence is #60). You guys don't have to quite go playing "anyone/anywhere", but I'd say the Big East is not providing the numerical bump you think it is during an average season like this past one. PC has had no better than a #193 Pomeroy SOS since 2015, and if not for Villanova getting around 30 wins and a couple other teams carrying the flagship (none of these happened in 2019-20), the overall numbers do not come out in their favor.

I'm not even putting it at PC's feet for THIS season, because I know the conference commitments are already shitty. Maui getting rescheduled, yadda yadda. But I am keeping an eye out going forward, and soon as opposed to the fans saying "wah wah" at URI fans, their anger may soon get directed back at the program for being mediocre (granted your mediocrity is being perpetually on the tourney bubble while ours under Baron was worse).
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Another dumb move is keeping the Big 12 - Big East games
Why travel all that way in this COVID time? Put it off. Why have East centered teams go to Big 12 country for just a single game??????

PC will travel to Ft Worth to play TCU.
TCU is ranked #75 in 144 Madness. Picked 9th in Big 12.
TCU was (16-16) (7-11) last season

Stupidity. But no reporters will ever question the great Ed C.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18709
This was not PC or even the BE’s decision to make. Came from Fox to have the series go on as scheduled.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I know one thing. I’m going to laugh my ass off if PC loses to FDU. They had better get out to a good early lead and cruise. If it’s close late, Cooley might split his trousers again, for a different reason this time.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago If you told me that I could play in a “Champions Classic” every year and play one of Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas on a rotating basis but I’d have to sacrifice the URI game for 10 years, Id choose the Champions Classic today, tomorrow, and for just about the rest of eternity.
Strawman much? It's not Kentucky, Duke and Kansas you're choosing this year, it's FDU.
That comment was meant to be tongue-and-cheek to whoever earlier said that they should have played even if their schedule already included Duke, Kentucky, etc. Point being I’d trade 10 years of URI for one shot at those guys.

I’m aware they went from URI to FDU, which appears to round out their OOC with 4 Q1/Q2 opportunities and 1 Q4 game.