Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Malik is statistically better than Tyrese in several categories.

Malik 19 -20 Shooting 47, 38, 73.

Tyrese 19 - 20 shooting 43, 32, 66

Tyrese took 342 shots. Malik 187.

Tyrese is the better rebounder but also played 4 minutes more a game. 7.1 to 3.6. Offensive rebound Tyrese 63, Malik 21.

Steals Malik 48-31

Assists Tyrese 34-21.

TOs Malik 28, Tyrese 60.

Blocks Malik 20, Tyrese 9.

Looks like Malik plays offense under more control and works hard on defense. Solid player. Should get good minutes.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

How fast can this team gel? I really like the size and talent brought into the program.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago
No way in hell 10th is a possibility with the talent we have.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

A10 centric media tends to doubt URI and expect less. Having an A10 team with a likely preseason all american on the outside looking in on the top 4 is silly.

Hopefully URI gets to play most of the season and show what they are made of.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
The writer states in the article:

Before all of this recent news, I had the Rams tentatively projected to finish 10th in the standings. That is still certainly a possibility if chemistry and depth problems arise, but I now expect the team to be right there with the likes of Dayton, UMass, Saint Bonaventure and Duquesne in the mix for a double-bye in the A10 Tournament.

He had URI 10th BEFORE the 4 transfers had their waivers approved.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

10th? Did we switch to the ACC over night?
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Again, we were 10th BEFORE the 4 transfers were granted their waivers. Now the writer states URI could grab one of the 4 byes.

I can see that. Without Tyrese Martin, Long and Toppin we were left with little depth. 4 for 4 waivers granted changed our roster a ton from before and after.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Before all of this recent news, I had the Rams tentatively projected to finish 10th in the standings. That is still certainly a possibility if chemistry and depth problems arise, but I now expect the team to be right there with the likes of Dayton, UMass, Saint Bonaventure and Duquesne in the mix for a double-bye in the A10 Tournament.

Yes but he says 10th is still a possibility and I'm saying its not a possibility.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes but he says 10th is still a possibility and I'm saying its not a possibility.
I reread the article. This was the opening statement:
It’s been a hectic summer so far for David Cox and Rhode Island Basketball. They’ve gone from a team with bottom-four (of the A10 standings) potential, to one that could now be a legitimate threat to take home an A10 title.

He also said he had URI finishing 10th before he learned Fatts would be returning along with he was not including Martin, both Mitchell’s and Martin. I would have had the team worse than 10th without those 5 guys.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster, dead last in that scenario. The fact that we've rebounded from that to potential top 3 is amazing, or at least pretty damn cool.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago A10 centric media tends to doubt URI and expect less. Having an A10 team with a likely preseason all american on the outside looking in on the top 4 is silly.

Hopefully URI gets to play most of the season and show what they are made of.
Ya but we don't have any glue guys! Our season is doomed.. :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago ramster, dead last in that scenario. The fact that we've rebounded from that to potential top 3 is amazing, or at least pretty damn cool.
Sure it is. That’s just what the writer of the article is saying.
We went from 10th to 4th in his opinion.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I reread the article. This was the opening statement:
It’s been a hectic summer so far for David Cox and Rhode Island Basketball. They’ve gone from a team with bottom-four (of the A10 standings) potential, to one that could now be a legitimate threat to take home an A10 title.

He also said he had URI finishing 10th before he learned Fatts would be returning along with he was not including Martin, both Mitchell’s and Martin. I would have had the team worse than 10th without those 5 guys.
At the bottom of the article he says that 10th is still a possibility if the players don't gel properly.

All I'm saying is 10th is not a possibility. There's no way in hell we finish 10th with a healthy roster. If we did then Cox is an awful coach. His first team didn't even finish 10th.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago ramster, dead last in that scenario. The fact that we've rebounded from that to potential top 3 is amazing, or at least pretty damn cool.
Sure it is. That’s just what the writer of the article is saying.
We went from 10th to 4th in his opinion.
He also listed 4 other schools that we could be fighting for a double bye. He didn’t include St Louis and Richmond (assuming he has them at 1 & 2). So he could have URI at 7th. He is all over the place basically having them anywhere from 3rd to 10th in a 14 team league. Who is this guy?
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I hope he plays up to the hype along with Carey. Excellent backcourt along with depth at the wing and frontcourt, watch out. The A10 should be extremely strong this year, I would love to see how this conference would match up against the OOC schedule, if they play. Many deserving mid level teams would be denied bids to the NCAA tournament if there is a shortened season, which would be very unfortunate.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I hope he plays up to the hype along with Carey. Excellent backcourt along with depth at the wing and frontcourt, watch out. The A10 should be extremely strong this year, I would love to see how this conference would match up against the OOC schedule, if they play. Many deserving mid level teams would be denied bids to the NCAA tournament if there is a shortened season, which would be very unfortunate.
Sheppard is the best outside shooter on the team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DJ is also considered to be a 3 point threat, nice to have some zone breakers.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

A 6’7” 3 point shooter from the wing will really open up space inside for the bigs . Something we haven’t had for a while. That inside/outside threat is really hard to defend. As Rod would say “hard to guard”!! I wish he was here to see this frontcourt! He would be going crazy right now!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago A 6’7” 3 point shooter from the wing will really open up space inside for the bigs . Something we haven’t had for a while. That inside/outside threat is really hard to defend. As Rod would say “hard to guard”!! I wish he was here to see this frontcourt! He would be going crazy right now!!
We need to see it from DJ in a D1 game. He hasn’t played at that level. It takes him awhile to get off his shot (watch his shooting motion).
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago A 6’7” 3 point shooter from the wing will really open up space inside for the bigs . Something we haven’t had for a while. That inside/outside threat is really hard to defend. As Rod would say “hard to guard”!! I wish he was here to see this frontcourt! He would be going crazy right now!!
We need to see it from DJ in a D1 game. He hasn’t played at that level. It takes him awhile to get off his shot (watch his shooting motion).
kinda hafta agree with that...I hope he is one, but seems unlikely someone goes from redshirt to instant D1 3 point threat. I mean, wasn't he supposed to play last year?
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
kinda hafta agree with that...I hope he is one, but seems unlikely someone goes from redshirt to instant D1 3 point threat. I mean, wasn't he supposed to play last year?
I watched him in pregame warmups a few times last year. I know you can’t always predict game success from warmups, but I didn’t see him light it up from three. Usually with good shooters, they make more threes than they miss in warmups, since of course they are not being guarded.
Hope these times were outliers and he can be a sorely needed outside threat this season.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I watched him in pregame warmups a few times last year. I know you can’t always predict game success from warmups, but I didn’t see him light it up from three. Usually with good shooters, they make more threes than they miss in warmups, since of course they are not being guarded.
Hope these times were outliers and he can be a sorely needed outside threat this season.
Everytime I watched him he was nailing them. Great form too. Didn't get his shot off very fast though. Since he's 6'7 or 6'8 it won't matter that much though because he will be able to shoot over most people.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Put DJ in when teams play zone against us
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Aside from DJ's shooting, he seems to be active defensively and somewhat athletic with the ball. Hopefully he will surprise many of us with his talent and skill level. I think they chose to redshirt him so he can add weight and prepare for the physicality of D1. We were also a little crowded at that position at the start of the year with Martin, Long, Toppin, Tate, and Walker available after first semester.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will withhold judgment on our shooting prowess until I see it myself....or until our resident experts weigh in....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

They will use only one basketball, and Fatts will go home with the ball if anyone else touches it in the front court. I hope the newcomers enjoy playing defense. OK, this is a gross exaggeration, but a lot of egos are going to need to be stroked next year for URI to be a top 4 A10 team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago They will use only one basketball, and Fatts will go home with the ball if anyone else touches it in the front court. I hope the newcomers enjoy playing defense. OK, this is a gross exaggeration, but a lot of egos are going to need to be stroked next year for URI to be a top 4 A10 team.
If there is a 30 game season this year, this person you're complaining about will end up either 4th or 5th in assists for a career in URI history.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

With all the the big time transfers being eligible it would be very surprising if DJ got even 10 minutes a game. I think we forget he sat because he wasn't ready to compete at a high level and never has in the past either. Good luck to him, but on this talented team he seems to be more of the 10th or 11th man.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago They will use only one basketball, and Fatts will go home with the ball if anyone else touches it in the front court. I hope the newcomers enjoy playing defense. OK, this is a gross exaggeration, but a lot of egos are going to need to be stroked next year for URI to be a top 4 A10 team.
Just when I think your posts couldn't get any more stupid, you prove me wrong. Again. If we have a season Fatts will end up one of our all-time leaders in points, assists and highlight moments. He's one of the most exciting and entertaining players we'll ever see. Too bad you can't enjoy that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago

Just when I think your posts couldn't get any more stupid, you prove me wrong. Again. If we have a season Fatts will end up one of our all-time leaders in points, assists and highlight moments. He's one of the most exciting and entertaining players we'll ever see. Too bad you can't enjoy that.
Pete, I've seen nothing in three years to make me think that Fatts is a team player and a leader. This includes his play on the court and actions off the court. In the past we had players like Jeff and Cyril who would sacrifice there own role for the good of the team. I don't think this will happen with the egos on the present roster. Playing another year with Fatts was not a good enough reason for Tyrese or Jacob to stay at URI. On a good team, the whole is better than the sum of its parts. If things go south this year, it wouldn't shock me if Fatts walked.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

Pete, I've seen nothing in three years to make me think that Fatts is a team player and a leader. This includes his play on the court and actions off the court. In the past we had players like Jeff and Cyril who would sacrifice there own role for the good of the team. I don't think this will happen with the egos on the present roster. Playing another year with Fatts was not a good enough reason for Tyrese or Jacob to stay at URI. On a good team, the whole is better than the sum of its parts. If things go south this year, it wouldn't shock me if Fatts walked.
Are you hoping for that, or is it just something you think might happen?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are you hoping for that, or is it just something you think might happen?
Or both?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

nm
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am so glad I live very far away from your world. You might be the most negative person that I have come across on social media and that is saying a lot. I really don’t understand why you are a fan. You think Fatts would walk in the middle of the season? You have absolutely zero evidence to back that up. There is no way he would do that. There would be no good reason to do that. In the time of transfer for any reason Fatts is entering his 4th year at URI. Try enjoying it just once.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I am so glad I live very far away from your world. You might be the most negative person that I have come across on social media and that is saying a lot. I really don’t understand why you are a fan. You think Fatts would walk in the middle of the season? You have absolutely zero evidence to back that up. There is no way he would do that. There would be no good reason to do that. In the time of transfer for any reason Fatts is entering his 4th year at URI. Try enjoying it just once.
If 72 is the most negative person you've come across on social media, you're living a very good interweb life. Not that he's not negative, but "the most negative"? Far from it...I mean, read some of the (supposedly disallowed) political posts in the COVID 19 thread... You know...the name calling, 'brown country bombing' ones...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I skip those. I will reduce it to most negative on this board about URI.
ProviPaul87
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ProviPaul87 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago How fast can this team gel? I really like the size and talent brought into the program.
Delay probably a good thing!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
With all the the big time transfers being eligible it would be very surprising if DJ got even 10 minutes a game. I think we forget he sat because he wasn't ready to compete at a high level and never has in the past either. Good luck to him, but on this talented team he seems to be more of the 10th or 11th man.
If he gets 10 mins a game and bangs in a couple corner threes it will contribute something this team has missed for a long time. Tired of watching teams pack zones against us so our talented slashing guards/wings have to work extra hard to create space.
ProviPaul87
Jim Eitner

reef wrote: 4 years ago Cole does look like a player what were his stats ??
Weird he has a nice stroke from 3 but his % is worse every year!

https://www.espn.co.uk/mens-college-bas ... /evan-cole
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody's roster would seem to be the type that Rothstein is referring to in this tweet:

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ProviPaul87 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Cole does look like a player what were his stats ??
Weird he has a nice stroke from 3 but his % is worse every year!

https://www.espn.co.uk/mens-college-bas ... /evan-cole
same here
ProviPaul87
Jim Eitner

Not expecting that leadership from Fatts either.

Just too expensive from 2, so not makin others better.

If he can play more off ball, like just pass it up and run a route for cns3 you could get the best out of his 36% from 3. Then he can attack close outs for easier chances and create. you dont avg 4.6 ast by mistake.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rosie Langello catches up with four URI basketball transfers

Rosie Langello hosted a zoom call with four URI transfers—Makhi and Makhel Mitchel, Jalen Carey and Malik Martin to talk about their transition in joining the Rams.

https://www.wpri.com/sports/college-spo ... transfers/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice zoom call with these transfers looking forward to seeing what they bring to the team
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great to see and hear these young men. Especially pleased to hear Jalen talk about Coach Cox's impact.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Great to see and hear these young men. Especially pleased to hear Jalen talk about Coach Cox's impact.
Cox has to leverage being an African American Head Coach during these times.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Great to see and hear these young men. Especially pleased to hear Jalen talk about Coach Cox's impact.
That just seems like an odd statement....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That just seems like an odd statement....
Carey listed as the reason he decided to come to URI.